Join our email list →

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 320 | Hads: 1,315
1.39/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

25oz can, imperial pint glass.

A: Pours an extremely light shade of yellow with a very active and fizzy bright white head. Very watery and light looking, as expected. The head frothed up a few inches after a rough pour, but quickly subsided leaving a thin, wispy collar.
S: Not much of a nose. I get mostly “wet”, with a few notes of grainy adjuncts. There is also a light but very strange hint of synthetically sweet grape jelly or maybe nyquill.
T: Very light with just hints of adjunct grains. I still get that weird sugary “grape” flavor in the finish, although the flavor itself is not sweet. Water overall.
M: Super light, very carbonated, extremely water. Not hard to drink, although be prepared to burp a lot.
O: I'm always on the look out for a new cheap liquor store beer to go with my take out,but out of all the swill that I’ve tried, this one is definitely near the bottom. Extremely watery, and what flavors are there and off-putting. Definitely a step below the typical level light adjunct lagers. Can’t be the price per ounce though! Still, for a few pennies more I'd rather get something that still has no flavor, but is not off-putting. I will say though, I am very impressed they managed to pack almost 6% abv into something that has this little flavor or character.

2.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a transparent golden color with quickly fading foam. Looks nice for about a second. You can smell a hint of muddled malt - very light nose. Flavor hits you with caramel malt with a touch of cider and breadiness - no hops found. Finish is a strange booziness. All these flavors are very light. Not a good beer, but not terrible. I would drink this at gun point, I would also drink my own urine at gunpoint.

1.92/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high bright white head that quickly died down, leaving specks of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of corn adjuncts are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell, having flavors of corn adjuncts and nondescript malts. There is a slight amount of sweetness and a faint amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied, clean, and a little smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a nice mouthfeel for an adjunct lager but otherwise isn't overly impressive from a smell or taste perspective.

Serving type: can

1.87/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Pours a golden straw hue with a decent amount of carbonation and a head which quickly dissipates into a scummy lacing. Smells faintly of corn, very artificial. Tastes faintly of corn as well and not much else. It has a bitterness to it and a terrible aftertaste. This is not a good beer.

3.1/5  rDev +55.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

(12 oz can, poured into a wine glass)

L: crystal-clear, very pale gold liquid... pours about a finger-width head that collapses within a couple minutes

S: faint hard candy sugar sweetness... almost a citrus pith or oil far in the background... the aforementioned 'sweetness' suggests it will taste like a malt liquor... an overall weak scent - gotta shove your nose down in there to get a hint... little bit of piss pants in the back end

T: some of that malt liquor flavor up front, but it immediately drops out relatively dry... again, some of that strange citrusy acid on the outer edges and back of the palate in the finish; it later fades away... the malt flavor overall is super thin, with a mellow bitterness and a decidedly watery finish - maybe I got a can with extra ice crystals in it... no real flaws or off-putting flavors to speak of... neutral, bland

F: a tad glassy-slick in the flow and arguably mildly thin and watery in the finish... very very faint bit of alcohol heat builds up in the back of the palate

O: this is certainly a stand-out, noteworthy beer in that it seems to straddle the border between AAL and malt liquor... I would argue this beer is quite a brewing achievement - one of the most flavor-mute malt beverages I've ever tried... but it's soooo smooth!

That's right. This beer gets the highest marks all around. It's $1.42 per 40 ounce bottle here and I prefer it to any other "cheap beer" and a lot of the more "spendy" beers on the shelves. I have indeed tried them all. It's like a sore dick. You can't beat it.

3.16/5  rDev +58.8%

I prefer heavy beers like ice over light beers, this is becuase while most belive you consume less calories in light beer, that is not true becuase you usaly have to drink twice as mutch and therefore spend twice as mutch and end up with same amount of calories. I buy this beer typicaly when it is on sale in 12 packs which is more rare then used to be.

at 5.9 alcohal per volume it gets the job done in a 12 pack, and gose down smoother for a average anheuser busch beer. when not on sale i would prefer to spend the extra 2$ for something of slightly higher quality. it smells allright unlike alot of cheap beers. the look is the typical look of a AB beer.

3.86/5  rDev +94%

The look is just a straw yellow basic domestic lager color with small white head.
The smell is faint; maybe some hints of grains, straw, and a little alcohol
The taste, in my opinion, is exceptional for the style of beer that it is. It's just a smooth "beer" taste. There's nothing special about it, but it is far from being "bad". It's actually great in my opinion, to have 6% alcohol and be this smooth along with a great taste.

I feel anyone who hates this beer is someone who hasn't appreciated all different styles of beer for what they are. This beer isn't meant to be fussed over and smelled and examined; it's meant to be drank whether after work or playing beer pong etc. You drink it, it gets the job done, you don't complain about it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy craft beer as much as the next craft beer snob, but I never disrespect the traditional domestic beers that started it all. This beer is best served ice cold, the mouth feel is extremely thin and the drinkability is exceptional. If I were to give someone this beer blindfolded, I guarantee they'd never guess that it's nearly 6% alcohol. There isn't much to the taste, it is your basic domestic lager taste with a watery feel. For the price and the buzz that catches you by surprise, this beer is damn good. It needs to be judged in its own category rather than looked down on by craft beer snobs. If you're a working person who's on a budget and wants to relax after work without breaking the bank, pick up a few 16 oz Natural Ices. It will surprise you how smooth it is while retaining such a high alcohol percentage. For the beer that it is, within its own adjunct ice beer category, it is king. So when I'm not in the mood to drink an extremely hoppy bitter beer like 90 minute IPA or a thick stout like Old Rasputin, I'll stick to Natural Ice or Budweiser. Don't knock it until you try it. It does what it's designed to do, get you a great buzz with an extremely smooth and drinkable feel.

1.12/5  rDev -43.7%

This is the hangover beer.. If you take one sip you are automatically hungover.. but if your funds are low, and you need to put one on..This beer Will definitely do the trick..6 pack of tall boys go for 3.99 where I live. So say a prayer and throw a few hail Maries and chug. . But be prepared for the wrath tomorrow.

2.44/5  rDev +22.6%

This "nasty ice" is ONLY drinkable in a bottle and i prefer a 40 or 32 if I can find the little brother. Cans are just horrible for some reason. I love fow et fells lol. great for getting fake balls and being a jackass. This reminds me of growing up around rednecks and country friends who would be seen with nothing else than NATTY. I love to reminess, God bless America!

4.48/5  rDev +125.1%

The only 'cheap' beer I genuinely like. Sure, it's watery but I like the overall flavor. When I drink other cheap beers like PBR or Budweiser, I don't really enjoy the taste. They just taste...meh. Natty Ice is a great value and has a fun, sort of banana-like taste. I wish they expanded on this to make it less watery.
Smell: I haven't smelled this beer actively thinking about what it smells like. I'm giving it a 4 because it probably smells similar to how it tastes. I rate it lower because I don't care about the smell or the look or the feel.
Look: Only had it in a can but I'm sure not very good for a beeradvocate!
Feel: Between drinking water and soda. When cold, it's refreshing on a hot day.
Overall: Very good for a cheap beer. I like the banana flavor but wish it could be stronger. Maybe there are some other, higher quality beers that have a stronger taste but I wouldn't know where to look and I love the value/alcohol found in this beer.

2.09/5  rDev +5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a .5 l mug.

Look: The body is a clear golden color with slowly rising bubbles. The head is foamy and white and settles to ... nothing. Absolutely no lacing on the glass.

Aroma: A combination of sweet corn husk (adjuncts) and a faint metallic aroma not unlike paint fumes.

Taste: Almost identical to the nose but more of a cardboard kind of taste up front. Paint fumes come through. The finish is metallic and dry, not without a sly but of tanginess.

Mouthfeel: Dry and medium to light in body.

Overall: Almost like a malt liquor "light" version ... AALs shouldn't be 5.9% ABV in my opinion. I paid $8.99 for a 12 pack of this just to review it. That's dedication.

This isn't bad at all for a cheap beer. It's a pretty standard beer in my opinion. No it's not a hop explosion and it's not particularly exciting, but it's a $1.30 ($1.50 with tax) 25 ounce beer with 5.9% alcohol. I would hope people aren't comparing it to beers that cost $4 and $5 for a 11.2 to 12 ounce bottle. If they are, that's not exactly fair. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the $4 and $5 for 11.2 to 12 ounce bottle beers and most of those also have higher alcohol content, but if you want a decent tasting beer that doesn't cost a fortune, this is surprisingly good. I have heard horror stories about Natural Light and was actually a little hesitant to try this, but as long as it doesn't give me heartburn, this is decent.

2.51/5  rDev +26.1%

By no means is this a great beer but it isn't as bad as the score may show. I'm drinking it because I'm trying to shed some pounds but hanging with gang still demands some beer. Trust me I'm a sworn craft beer loyalist. But this beer is the most efficient beer you can drink in terms of the amount of alcohol to calories. 5.9% ABV 130 calories.

On getdrunknotfat.com it rates as the first beer in their efficiency chart after numerous liquors.

The first one tastes a little harsh but after that it's just as tasteless as any other domestic.

Yes. I could just have less BUT better beer or no beer at all but during March madness that's not an option. Try it. It's cheap and no worse than a PBR for more ABV.

2.17/5  rDev +9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

The skunk mostly rears its head on the very back end. The look is reasonable, the smell isn't awful, and it's not immediately a regretful decision to drink this beer. I think the BABros are closer to reasonable than the overall BA score.

3.25/5  rDev +63.3%

A perfect college beer. It's very carbonated and pours a straw yellow with a small head. The smell is very metallic and has hints of corn and malt. The taste is pretty decent with a good level of malt and grains. Has a metallic aftertaste that isn't very pleasant but for the price I'm not complaining.

1.35/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a translucent yellow with little head. The smell is mostly rice but with some chemical smell, almost metallic. There is very little to the taste. This was made to be drank fast with a slightly above average ABV.

1.57/5  rDev -21.1%

It is what it is. Natty Ice isn't as offensive as some BMC brews (Miller Lite, I'm looking at you), but that's because there's not much there. It pours a pale, almost translucent straw color, a pinkie of fizzy head that disappears quickly. Not much carbonation and no lacing. Smells like any adjunct, sweet corn, very faint, but gets stronger as it warms. Reminds me of the sticky floors of the old fraternity house the morning after a party.
Tastes like nothing, just water. Goes down easy enough, and if I wasn't curious to see if the taste changed when it warmed (it didn't) I could have tosses the glass back in a blink. Like I said, easy drinking. Now I know why it's a favorite of college students: cheap, inoffensive, and, to quote Dave Chapelle, "it'll get you drunk!"

3.6/5  rDev +80.9%

For what it is, this is a great beer. I'm a college student and compared to other domestics, especially cheap ones, this is pretty good. It doesn't have much flavor to it at all and is very smooth to drink if its cold. Other cheap domestics like Keystone or Milwaukee's Best have an odd aftertaste to them but not Natty. If I want something with flavor I would definitely look elsewhere, but if i want a buzz to party or need to unwind after a hard day of studying, Natty is perfect.

2.79/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I've drank this ice cold in the summer and didn't think it was so bad. So, right now I'm on a tomato beer kick and this looks like it will get me less buzzed than the other night when I was using 8-8.5% Schlitz and Colt 45. Of course, I will review it on its own before making the cocktail.

I poured this into one of those little six ounce glasses that are just like old timey 3.2 joints in Minnesota who would tip one of these little glasses upside down over the neck of the bottle. A moderate pour produces a little frothy head that settles down to a ring of lace. The beer is a pale golden color with light carbonation.

It has that typical adjunct aroma-flavor, highlighting corn, light malt, and slight cardboard flavors. It's rather sweet with just a touch of earthy hop bitterness that falls short of balancing. The ABV, while not super high by today's standards, is well-masked except for a little fruity alcohol tinge.

This isn't terrible, is cheap enough, and will make an acceptable tomato beer. I'm drinking this while watching the Patsies play the Dolts in the AFC championship.

1.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Calling this a beer is a disgrace. This is some real crap. Most people nailed it by saying it's only good for getting drunk.that is true and its cheap. It's faux beer for people who want to get drunk off of something similar to beer. And some people talk about how it's refreshing and great for relaxing. Must be crazy to think that. If you have 5$ and want to get drunk you can get 6 pack of 16oz Natties, a couple of 40s which are far worse or a small bottle of very cheep booze. Your call

4.75/5  rDev +138.7%

Meh. Ok.... I guess. Someone paid me to drink this piss warm. I regret nothing. I won that bet. Then i popped a can ice cold. Drinkable that way. Actually surprisingly not bad, when you see its cheaper than keystone where i bought it, and somehow its not instantaneous projectile vomiting.
one of and this isnt saying much, the better ice beers around. Actually has some flavor to it. I am comparing this against beers in its class, Namely Keystone Ice Milwaukees best ICE, Bud Ice, and Busch ice. Compared to those things this seems not bad. Not that it matters. you drink a few bottles of natural ice you forget all about the flavor. Trust me, this stuff will f**k you up. They go down incredibly easy cold anyway. Don't do what i did and accept a wager to drink it hot without puking. Its pretty awful hot. Then again, what beer isnt? had a Sierra Nevada Pale ale ice cold, beats all of these things ive rated. once it gets warm, its just as bad.

1.25/5  rDev -37.2%

Pros: It'll get ya drunk
Its not malt liquor

Cons: Just about everything else

Overall: The cheapest drinkable beer I can find. Goes down like water and that's a good thing in this case. I wouldn't want to actually taste it.

Really nothing good or bad about this. Light, almost no flavor. Watery even. Could call it refreshing after a long day, but that's about it.

At that rate though, just drink water.

It's nothing fancy or worth being snobby about, but I can snag a 4-pack of tall boys for less than $3 US, and it'll get the job done quick. Keep it cold, though, it tastes a lot worse warm.

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch