Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 312 | Hads: 1,274

This poor beer has been beaten up so by so many other reviewers i hate to ass insult to injury but this beer deserves a 1. well it deserves a zero but one is the lowest it goes, and 1 does have awful next to it, so it's the best i can do. This beer has a taste and it isnt good. cheap malt and hops combine for a distinct and regretable trip to beer hell. Putred comes to mind, horrable also. But in the words of Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank "It's bad, it's just bad" Why drink this??? The only upside to this is that your not paying a lot for your bad beer, like paying $4 for some guy to beat you with a baseball bat; it sucked but at least it was cheap? (656 characters)

12 oz can at a house party.

Appearance: Don't know, I didn't bother to pour it.

Smell: Absolutely Awful, pure metallic, like they brewed it with a bed of dirty pennies.

Taste: Absolutely terrible, the worst beer I have ever drank.

Mouth Feel: Honestly, I can't even put a mouth feel here, my brain was so repulsed by the taste that it shut down.

Drinkability: The worst, even for free I could only drink one. (413 characters)

Literally the worst beer ever. All of my experiences with this horrible thing that calls itself beer have been unquestionably negative. I have nothing nice to say. I can't even get drunk on this beer because I can't finish one. So so bad. I pray to God you never have to drink this pig slop. The only thing that separates it from donkey piss is the fact that Natty Ice can get you drunk. If you can finish one. (410 characters)

So so so very bad...Pleas I beg you stay away from Natty Ice. Natural Light at least has the fact that it has no taste period so you can pound them back. Natty Ice has such a wretched taste that I cannot finish one. To be honest, the god-awful smell of this beer is most comparable to a urinal in a truck stop that someone pissed in three days ago and it hasn't been flushed yet. God, just an awful beer. (404 characters)

Pale yellow color with very little head at all.
Dusty, corn, malt, foul taste. This stuff is just harsh. If you're going to go cheap get the Natural Light, at least you may be able to stomach that. Isn't this more expensive than the Light too? Never liked any these Ice beers. (277 characters)

Not a good beer at all. If this site had zeros, this would be getting a lot of them. It still is better than the bull though. I guess it is a little better in the bottle, because it doesn't have that metallic taste to it. Even though the bottle doesn't claim it, this is a light beer. And there is something about a light beer with a higher alcohol content in it that is just way too weird and nasty for me. This tastes just like water, with rubbing alcohol, and a hint of malt. There was no head that I could see, so maybe I got a flat one. Either way, it really shouldn't matter with this one. (595 characters)

Pale yellow (nearly urine) color with a head that just fades, fades, fades. Nothing impressive at first. Aroma is bland and corn-ish. Taste is just dull with nothing but corn, corn, corn. High in alcohol and low in ghetto-cred. Trust me, you're better off sticking to something like Steel Reserve if you like your beer cheap and quaffable. (339 characters)

Another Anheuser-Busch, Inc. piss poor beer. Malted water with high carbonation and a fairly high alcohol content. Drink it only because you need a pain killer and not because it taste good. (192 characters)

This is bad. Pours the color of urine after an evening drinking BCBS. Smells like vodka. In my years as a server of cheap beer, I served enough of this to fill the building that you're stitting in. Everytime I made the mistake of drinking it I vomited. (252 characters)

AWFUL. This 'beer' just smells from moldly boiled rice and distilled alcohol. Pale yellowish color, no head no lacing. Makes me wonder why I am drinking this, and who would buy this. The flavor is mostly of the bitter moldy rice. AVOID!!! unless your aying beer pong

Save yourself from this beer... must have Dogfish (317 characters)

Ok. THE WORST BEER I EVER BOUGHT. Tastes like piss.

Hurricane High Gravity and Steel Reserve are right behind this beer.

this beer sucks this beer sucks this beer sucks this beer sucks this beer sucks this beer sucks this beer sucks this beer sucks this beer sucks this beer sucks (283 characters)

The can opened with no fizz at all but when it poured a massive 3" white head erupted, held about one minute, and then totally deflated rapidly. I suspect some alchemy at work there. Body is a clear straw yellow and it appears to have spent all it's bubbles on the head and now is flat. Smell is a weak sour grassiness and the taste is very watery with a little of the same. Ice water would have more appeal. (408 characters)

MY least favorite beer in my area.

Just awful

Corn, and harsh bitter alcohol residue. Some people say it goes down like soda, bit i cant even stomach the shit. leavers a bittersweet taste like burnt ketchup and coldcuts. gasoline and garbage wrapped into one.

Its only redeeming quility is that its 5.9 as opposed to the average 5, But i have to be pretty desperate and already buzzed to stomach this shit.

Beware of the natty dreads of this swampass Sswamp thing, just awful.... (483 characters)

Had this when I was a broke teenager. I had it only once in adulthood when I was already drunk but still couldnt even finish a sip. Yes that bad. Beer Advocate this review should prove I love ya!

A: Foam that settles into yellow pee.

S: Metal and something other garbage

T: Oh Lord Help me! Metal and hoppy vomit.

M: Lots of carbonation with a heavy feeling. Swallow quickly or vomit.

D: Wouldnt even drink this if it was free. I dont care about the cheap price and shit load of alcohol content. I will go sober or die of thirst. (534 characters)

Natural Ice is a very sparkling straw colored lager with a creepy white film. I almost threw change at the glass out of instinct because it smells like a homeless guy. It's sweet and corny in the nose with a lot of fusel oil. It is light bodied and watery. It's rather sweet and, like the aroma, all corn and fusel oil. That poison alcohol flavor continues to linger. This is the worst beer I have reviewed. It's cheap and boozy. Heroin must be healthier than this.
(rated Aug 14, 2008) (486 characters)

Natural Ice
Deuce-deuce
Recent brewing, slugged down 11/06
Medium pour in an English pint

Poured yellow with an average fizzy quickly diminishing white head.

Smelt of smegma.

Taste was upfront sweetened decaying malt with a hint of colostomy bag residue followed by a gooch sweat finish.

Overall, it taste like squeezing the sweat from one's overall's after a long day of manure shoveling. (404 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.3%

There are things on this planet that are what they are, and there's little use trying to qualitatively assess them unless doing so is part of a medical study. Diarrhea, rickets, flesh wounds... these things aren't compared by the merits of their qualities, only in varying degrees of how awful they were to endure, hence systems like the "pain scale." Yeah, this is an 8. Not as bad as drinking bad moonshine, but it's easily the worst beer I've ever had. It really does taste worse when poured into a glass (I absolutely will not say it tastes "better" from the can). You don't drink this unless you're fourteen and couldn't steal any Smirnoff Ice from the 7-11, or it's in a red plastic cup, you've got a ping pong ball in your hand and you're in a frat. I loathe this substance. (781 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.3%

The Bros gave it a C-? What the hell is that? This beer is even terrible for Beer Pong. Nothing redeeming here.

From the smell to the aftertaste it is terrible. It tastes nothing like "Beer". It is bottled and cheap...that's about it. I may drink it if there were no anesthetic to take before a surgery...may. (311 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.3%

The head pour was large white and frothy with small-medium bubbles that fully diminished. There was very little carbonation with this beer. The lacing was sparse and the body was clear and the hue was yellow. The flavor was slightly sweet and bitterness was observed. The mouthfeel was light, watery and oily. (309 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -52.3%

Completely crystal clear, with a tinge of yellow. Not to be elitist, but this looks EXACTLY like urine after keeping oneself fairly hydrated throughout the day.

Smells of corn and artificial sweetener, not unlike pepsi max or diet coke. Slight phenolic smell that goes away just before it becomes pleasant.

Phenolic taste with a little bit of grain followed by a stomach sickening feeling that hits the stomach unlike anything I have had in a long while (aka this exact beer). Whatever taste exists is gone before you even get a chance to swallow the first sip. Watery and thin.

This is not the worst mouthfeel ever, except I just got a little particle lodged in my teeth which came directly from this can of beer. I know they aren't the same style, but after having TREAT by Midnight Sun, I don't know what the hell I am doing having this beer. I have class in the morning. This tastes like really weak cough syrup - which removes the whole point of having anything that tastes like cough syrup. I LIKE cough syrup, yet this one can't pull it off which is frustrating to say the least. (1,092 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -50%

Anfriend that was over gave me a tall of this. Normally, I wouldn't even pour this into one of my glasses, but had to. It pours pale yellow with a head that rises and settles just as fast. The smell is almost unbearable. Metallic, faintly malty, with some notes of laundry detergent. The taste is just about the same. Soapy, astringent, and unpleasant. Malt is minimal, with some hints of fresh bread and toffee, but the medicinal, cough syrup notes still overwhelm the palate. Light bodied, and in a bad way, this beer is for those who drink beer for the lone purpose of getting drunk. Not one I would consider when even buying for company. (641 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -50%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow body crowned with a thin ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Cold creamed corn, flower petals, and a waft of alcohol.

Taste: A corn-driven taste with an icky sweetness and plenty of fusel alcohol that could be called anything but "natural". A mild bitterness does little to mask the sweet, fusel finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Spitefully watery.

Drinkability: An unrewarding, cheapo beer. Its cost matches its quality. (478 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -49.1%

Honestly, whoever drinks this beer is probably sporting his mullet listening to zztop and driiving around picking up fat chicks.

It smells like a used diaper filled with indian food. If you have ever heard of jenkem you could probably compare the drinkablitiy to that concoction. (280 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -48.6%

I guess AB figured they could sell even more Natty Light to poor college kids if it had more alcohol, thus was born Natty Ice. I had $3 in my pocket, and I probably wasn't going to miss it, so I tried a sixer of the much maligned Natural Ice.

This stuff is only served in cans in my area, so I know I was in trouble. I poured it into my glass; it was a bright straw color, with lots of fizz. The fizzy head disappeared quickly. It had almost no smell to it whatsoever, except for a little alcohol. Then I sipped: on the tip of my tongue, it tasted like burnt plastic, quite bitter. Elsewhere, there wasn't much taste: tiny amounts of malt, adjuncts, and "Pine-Sol" taste. The aftertaste has the trademark AB green apple taste, only a bit more plasticy and a little bitter. After that passes, a definite corn taste lingers. After swallowing the stuff, a few times a whiff of alcohol would go up my nose and clear out my sinuses. Definite warmth in the belly after drinking.

My suggestion? Stay away, except if you're broke and need a buzz. BTW, I managed to down this stuff when I poured it into a glass. Out of the can, this stuff is plain awfulness. (1,170 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -48.6%

Clear gold with a white head which disappears almost immediately. Smells of grain, husks. Very musty. Tastes as bad as it smells. Musty, with some grain flavor. Not much else. Thin, fair carbonation, watery, and not very impressive at all. Not one of the better adjunct lagers to be sure. (288 characters)

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch