Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 311 | Hads: 1,267
1.12/5  rDev -47.9%

This is the hangover beer.. If you take one sip you are automatically hungover.. but if your funds are low, and you need to put one on..This beer Will definitely do the trick..6 pack of tall boys go for 3.99 where I live. So say a prayer and throw a few hail Maries and chug. . But be prepared for the wrath tomorrow. (317 characters)

2.44/5  rDev +13.5%

This "nasty ice" is ONLY drinkable in a bottle and i prefer a 40 or 32 if I can find the little brother. Cans are just horrible for some reason. I love fow et fells lol. great for getting fake balls and being a jackass. This reminds me of growing up around rednecks and country friends who would be seen with nothing else than NATTY. I love to reminess, God bless America! (372 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +108.4%

The only 'cheap' beer I genuinely like. Sure, it's watery but I like the overall flavor. When I drink other cheap beers like PBR or Budweiser, I don't really enjoy the taste. They just taste...meh. Natty Ice is a great value and has a fun, sort of banana-like taste. I wish they expanded on this to make it less watery.
Smell: I haven't smelled this beer actively thinking about what it smells like. I'm giving it a 4 because it probably smells similar to how it tastes. I rate it lower because I don't care about the smell or the look or the feel.
Look: Only had it in a can but I'm sure not very good for a beeradvocate!
Feel: Between drinking water and soda. When cold, it's refreshing on a hot day.
Overall: Very good for a cheap beer. I like the banana flavor but wish it could be stronger. Maybe there are some other, higher quality beers that have a stronger taste but I wouldn't know where to look and I love the value/alcohol found in this beer. (957 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a .5 l mug.

Look: The body is a clear golden color with slowly rising bubbles. The head is foamy and white and settles to ... nothing. Absolutely no lacing on the glass.

Aroma: A combination of sweet corn husk (adjuncts) and a faint metallic aroma not unlike paint fumes.

Taste: Almost identical to the nose but more of a cardboard kind of taste up front. Paint fumes come through. The finish is metallic and dry, not without a sly but of tanginess.

Mouthfeel: Dry and medium to light in body.

Overall: Almost like a malt liquor "light" version ... AALs shouldn't be 5.9% ABV in my opinion. I paid $8.99 for a 12 pack of this just to review it. That's dedication. (682 characters)

This isn't bad at all for a cheap beer. It's a pretty standard beer in my opinion. No it's not a hop explosion and it's not particularly exciting, but it's a $1.30 ($1.50 with tax) 25 ounce beer with 5.9% alcohol. I would hope people aren't comparing it to beers that cost $4 and $5 for a 11.2 to 12 ounce bottle. If they are, that's not exactly fair. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the $4 and $5 for 11.2 to 12 ounce bottle beers and most of those also have higher alcohol content, but if you want a decent tasting beer that doesn't cost a fortune, this is surprisingly good. I have heard horror stories about Natural Light and was actually a little hesitant to try this, but as long as it doesn't give me heartburn, this is decent. (738 characters)

2.51/5  rDev +16.7%

By no means is this a great beer but it isn't as bad as the score may show. I'm drinking it because I'm trying to shed some pounds but hanging with gang still demands some beer. Trust me I'm a sworn craft beer loyalist. But this beer is the most efficient beer you can drink in terms of the amount of alcohol to calories. 5.9% ABV 130 calories.

On getdrunknotfat.com it rates as the first beer in their efficiency chart after numerous liquors.

The first one tastes a little harsh but after that it's just as tasteless as any other domestic.

Yes. I could just have less BUT better beer or no beer at all but during March madness that's not an option. Try it. It's cheap and no worse than a PBR for more ABV. (712 characters)

2.17/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

The skunk mostly rears its head on the very back end. The look is reasonable, the smell isn't awful, and it's not immediately a regretful decision to drink this beer. I think the BABros are closer to reasonable than the overall BA score. (239 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours a translucent yellow with little head. The smell is mostly rice but with some chemical smell, almost metallic. There is very little to the taste. This was made to be drank fast with a slightly above average ABV. (217 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -27%

It is what it is. Natty Ice isn't as offensive as some BMC brews (Miller Lite, I'm looking at you), but that's because there's not much there. It pours a pale, almost translucent straw color, a pinkie of fizzy head that disappears quickly. Not much carbonation and no lacing. Smells like any adjunct, sweet corn, very faint, but gets stronger as it warms. Reminds me of the sticky floors of the old fraternity house the morning after a party.
Tastes like nothing, just water. Goes down easy enough, and if I wasn't curious to see if the taste changed when it warmed (it didn't) I could have tosses the glass back in a blink. Like I said, easy drinking. Now I know why it's a favorite of college students: cheap, inoffensive, and, to quote Dave Chapelle, "it'll get you drunk!" (780 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +67.4%

For what it is, this is a great beer. I'm a college student and compared to other domestics, especially cheap ones, this is pretty good. It doesn't have much flavor to it at all and is very smooth to drink if its cold. Other cheap domestics like Keystone or Milwaukee's Best have an odd aftertaste to them but not Natty. If I want something with flavor I would definitely look elsewhere, but if i want a buzz to party or need to unwind after a hard day of studying, Natty is perfect. (487 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I've drank this ice cold in the summer and didn't think it was so bad. So, right now I'm on a tomato beer kick and this looks like it will get me less buzzed than the other night when I was using 8-8.5% Schlitz and Colt 45. Of course, I will review it on its own before making the cocktail.

I poured this into one of those little six ounce glasses that are just like old timey 3.2 joints in Minnesota who would tip one of these little glasses upside down over the neck of the bottle. A moderate pour produces a little frothy head that settles down to a ring of lace. The beer is a pale golden color with light carbonation.

It has that typical adjunct aroma-flavor, highlighting corn, light malt, and slight cardboard flavors. It's rather sweet with just a touch of earthy hop bitterness that falls short of balancing. The ABV, while not super high by today's standards, is well-masked except for a little fruity alcohol tinge.

This isn't terrible, is cheap enough, and will make an acceptable tomato beer. I'm drinking this while watching the Patsies play the Dolts in the AFC championship. (1,100 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -21.9%

Calling this a beer is a disgrace. This is some real crap. Most people nailed it by saying it's only good for getting drunk.that is true and its cheap. It's faux beer for people who want to get drunk off of something similar to beer. And some people talk about how it's refreshing and great for relaxing. Must be crazy to think that. If you have 5$ and want to get drunk you can get 6 pack of 16oz Natties, a couple of 40s which are far worse or a small bottle of very cheep booze. Your call (492 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +120.9%

Meh. Ok.... I guess. Someone paid me to drink this piss warm. I regret nothing. I won that bet. Then i popped a can ice cold. Drinkable that way. Actually surprisingly not bad, when you see its cheaper than keystone where i bought it, and somehow its not instantaneous projectile vomiting.
one of and this isnt saying much, the better ice beers around. Actually has some flavor to it. I am comparing this against beers in its class, Namely Keystone Ice Milwaukees best ICE, Bud Ice, and Busch ice. Compared to those things this seems not bad. Not that it matters. you drink a few bottles of natural ice you forget all about the flavor. Trust me, this stuff will f**k you up. They go down incredibly easy cold anyway. Don't do what i did and accept a wager to drink it hot without puking. Its pretty awful hot. Then again, what beer isnt? had a Sierra Nevada Pale ale ice cold, beats all of these things ive rated. once it gets warm, its just as bad. (952 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -41.9%

Pros: It'll get ya drunk
Its not malt liquor

Cons: Just about everything else

Overall: The cheapest drinkable beer I can find. Goes down like water and that's a good thing in this case. I wouldn't want to actually taste it. (226 characters)

Really nothing good or bad about this. Light, almost no flavor. Watery even. Could call it refreshing after a long day, but that's about it.

At that rate though, just drink water. (180 characters)

It's nothing fancy or worth being snobby about, but I can snag a 4-pack of tall boys for less than $3 US, and it'll get the job done quick. Keep it cold, though, it tastes a lot worse warm. (189 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -30.2%

Nattie Ice is a hard hitting yet smooth beer. It's not very good, but dang it, it gets the job done. This is the type of cheap beer I buy when I want to get drunk. (163 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +107.9%

Guys, sometimes you drink beer to frat your face off and get drunk. In those situations, you need fuel, fuel that is also beer. Natty ice IS YOUR FUEL. It's got enough of the good stuff to take your party to the next level, but a name that suggests a way cooler and smoother finish then you actually get - but who cares, cause after 3 of these bad boys you're in the zone.

Boom. (379 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -30.2%

The good thing about it is that it doesn't taste outright rotten.

That's about it.

A friend of mine got a six pack of "Natty Ice" cans, sort of as a joke, and I asked for one. He did not hesitate to give me one of these precious, precious beers.

I cracked it open one night and took a few sips. I didn't really taste anything. Well, there might have been some grain there, but it was FAINT. It was not pleasant. I wanted to pour it all out. But you know what? I'm gonna be honest here. I did the thing that I think most normal people do with Natty Ice: I hammered the rest of it home and got a nice, cheap buzz. (615 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +36.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Natural Ice. Can you believe I've never laid lips to this yet?

Appearance : A fluffy 2 finger head quickly recedes to a basic foam ring on top of a mellow gold transparent body.

Smell : A fruity, grainy smell that's pleasant to the nose. A bit of banana and orange and creamed corn. I'm actually surprised this smells decent.

Taste : It's got a nice corn body with a backlash of ripe banana. This is crazy, I never expected this to have the flavor it does. The finish is a bit skunky but nothing I can't handle comfortably. The overall taste is of fizzy banana and corn. It's actually decent.

Mouthfeel : Fizz, with a clammy finish.

Overall : This isn't half bad and for what you pay for it, it's better than a lot of macros out there. I really thought this would be terrible but it's not. It's worth a shot if you're broke and want a tasty lager for the night. Still doesn't beat High Life but pretty close. (914 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +16.3%

It's not very good, but at least it's cheap as hell. I'd drink this over Bud or that awful PBR garbage 8 days a week. If you want a good beer, leave this alone, but if you want a cheap beer that gets the job done and tastes better than most horrible watery lagers then grab yourself a Natty Ice. Stay away from Natty light. (323 characters)

If you are drinking this for the flavor there's something seriously wrong with you. Glad brews like this exist, because sometimes you are just trying to get a buzz. (164 characters)

2.18/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Pale translucent gold with poor head and retention. It does have some lacing however.

S: Adjuncts ( Corn ) and booze.

T: Same as the smell except the corn has a slightly rotten taste. Not good.

M: Very watery but it is crisp and slightly refreshing.

O: Another poor AAL. I really need to stop reviewing this stuff. (367 characters)

2.24/5  rDev +4.2%

This is a beer game beer. It's really watery, and you can slam it down while you're playing beer pong or flip cup. That's the only time this beer is acceptable. All other times you should drink something else. Anything else. It's just so bland. Water tastes better and doesn't give you a hangover.

Anecdotal note. I have a friend who can never make a decision ever. We were throwing a party, and we needed beer. He hands me a ten dollar bill and tells me to get something. I ask him what he wants. He just says, "whatever." So me and another friend go to the liquor store to buy the beers. We bought mostly relatively acceptable macro brews, I want to say probably miller lite. Him, we bought a case of this saying, "This'll teach him." We get back to the appartment and he says, "NATTY ICE IS MY FAVORITE!!!"

I guess the lesson is is that somewhere out there is a guy that this beer is the perfect match for. Watery, and flavorless. That's how he likes his beers. (966 characters)

It does it's job. I may be an considered an alcoholic but my wife and I drink this to get drunk and it works. No bad taste. We drink right out of the can and it is the best bang for your buck. I'm not a beer snob like some on here, so if you're looking to get drunk for cheap this is the beer to drink. We don't get a hangover from it and it doesn't hurt my wallet. (365 characters)

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch