Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 311 | Hads: 1,267
1.75/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks again Dad, you can sure pick them out. Drank straight from the can. I'd guess that is it crystal clear, light yellow, has the carbonation of coca-cola along with the fizziness. Aromas are of any type of grain other than barley malt. My guess; rice. Quite astringent and grainy to the taste. Metalic and harshly bittered (old hops?) All flavors are muted except for the bad ones. Alcohol and carbonation basically chokes my toung. It's a typical smash-the-can-on-your-forehead beer. If you are going to drink a bad beer, might as well save a few cents while doing it. (573 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -21.9%

Friend of mine tossed me one of these during Super Bowl XLIV. Wanted to toss it right back but instead I cracked open the can and gave it a whack. Very light on flavor, it wasn't anything to write home about. Half way through I started getting a headache. Not sure if it was from the beer or not, I just found it ironic. I'm happy I at least tried this brew. But I never have to have this again. (395 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -8.4%

I'm reviewing this beer in a side by side comparison with Bud Ice. Please see the review of that beer for the introduction. I should note that both are from 24 oz. cans. The vital stats on the Bud Ice are 2.23 BA rating, 5.5% ABV and $1.97. The corresponding stats on the Natural Ice are 2.03 BA rating, 5.9% ABV and $1.38. Maybe they're different after all. Also, both were started out at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees (I know, I know... ). Let the fun and games begin.

Clear, light, bright gold. The descriptions for beer and head are identical because these two beers look identical. There isn't one scintilla of difference in the appearances; they might as well have come out of the same can.

They have nearly identical noses as well. Both are underpowered and this one smells of sweet, husky grain and mildly musty hops. To their credit, neither one has any semblance of skunkiness that some (yes... fresh) macros can have. I know that it isn't actual, light-struck skunk, but it's nasty all the same.

As noted in the Bud Ice review, Natural Ice has a bit more flavor and is sweeter with a less pronounced graininess. Again, some nastiness has appeared as the beer warms, but it's equal between the two and is managable. As long as I don't let them warm too much before this cage match is over, I should be okay. This beer's body is also light, but the mouthfeel is helped a little by what I presume is a higher sugar content.

Natural Ice is my preference based on more flavor and (marginally) better flavor. I've successfully determined, to my own satisfaction, that there's a difference between these two beers, even if it's subtle. Best not to mess with success if you're A-B, right?

Looks like I differ from the collective wisdom of the BA community on the relative merits of these two, but at least we (almost) all agree on one thing. Bud Ice and Natural Ice are both bad beer. (1,914 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +43.3%

24oz super can, one of those last minute, last gas-up purchases ($1.50 is good for getting rid of excess change) before crossing the border home, into the Great White North. Very NHL-marketing reminiscent can label.

Natty Ice pours a crystal clear, pale golden colour, with a ton of columnar thin puffy bone-white head, which settles at an even pace, leaving some decent curtain lace around the glass as it does so. It smells of corny malt, and skanky, weedy hops. The taste is also unsurprisingly corny, with a somewhat innocuously fruity malt, and minimal skunky, earthy, dead grassy hops. The carbonation is fairly average, the body on the light side, but buoyed by a sugar and booze swell, smoothness somehow extracting itself from this situation. It finishes off-dry in the good ol' cheap-ass malt likka wannabe sense, bastardized sugar and nothing much else.

Another instance of form over substance - cheap, plentiful, and not all that offensive - if I didn't know any better, I'd be drinking this like water, which I'm sure actually happens all the time. Really, this is pretty innocuous, and not even that saccharine, so much so that I don't even rue the pocket change expended. It is what it is, and for that, I cannot truly find fault. (1,247 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -45.1%

Ok, here we go, I think we may have hit bottom. I really I had never even had this one before this, but figured I should try the cheapest beer I could find. Poured the palest and clearest yellow imaginable, big fizzy white head faded immediatly to leave just really nothing. Lots of chains of bubbles littered throughout, but this was just soo damn clear. Smell did not exist, at least I couldn't smell one, don't know if that is good or bad in this case, so thats really all I can comment on. Taste again was non existent, maybe a slight taste of corn or grain, but really I was dumbfounded as there was really no taste. Was slick, smooth going down. Tasted like ice cold water and I could see why people drink so much, they are trying to find the taste! (755 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -36.7%

Ah Natty Ice, how I've not missed you at all...

A: The pour is a crystal clear yellow color with a big white head that is gone before it's arrived.

S: This beer smells like Nebraska. Corn, corn, and more corn. And then some offensive aromas of alcohol, urine, and grass. Actually, that's not fair, sorry Nebraska.

T: An intense alcohol, corn, and grain flavor to this beer. Just bad. It's no wonder this beer was only used for drinking games that involved chugging and "served" ice cold. I can barely choke this down.

M: Light, thin, watery, and fizzy just about sums up our mouthfeel.

D: This stuff is probably the worst of the adjunct lagers. At least most of them are not so blatantly offensive. (703 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -49.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow body crowned with a thin ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Cold creamed corn, flower petals, and a waft of alcohol.

Taste: A corn-driven taste with an icky sweetness and plenty of fusel alcohol that could be called anything but "natural". A mild bitterness does little to mask the sweet, fusel finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Spitefully watery.

Drinkability: An unrewarding, cheapo beer. Its cost matches its quality. (478 characters)

A crystal clear straw-gold body reveals hundreds of fast-rising standard-sized bubbles racing to support a dwindling head of creamy white foam. It does maintain a thin surface covering, however, and leaves some very slight lace momentarily following each sip. The nose is clean with a light touch of apple. The body is medium/light and it's nicely crisp on the tongue due to its fine, effervescent carbonation. Sweet adjunct-laden malt dominates the flavor; balanced by an underlying bitterness that's accentuated by it's crisp carbonation. It finishes semi-dry with some residual sticky malt about the mouth. Well made, but not very interesting. (646 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +32.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains light malts, adjuncts and a very light touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out very bready with flavors of grain and adjuncts followed by some light malt sweetness that isn't as strong as most other beers in the style. The hops presence is very mild but on-target for the style and is strong enough to bring a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little flavorful considering the style, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, it's exactly what you would expect from the style, it might not be even an average beer overall, but I've had several other beers in the style that are a lot worse. (918 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Presentation: Tall 22 oz brown bottle with a wide mouth opening for quicker drinking. Born On Date in bottom left hand corner.

Appearance: The traditional way to drink this is straight out of the bottle though I poured a little bit into my glass to see that the colour was of a pale straw hue and minimal head retention typical of the style.

Smell: Virtually nothing … very clean with a tiny whiff of rice, husky malt and faint alcohol.

Taste: Clean and crisp, sterile tasting with an obviously light body. Well carbonated with a smooth mouth feel. Adjuncts galore … not much malt flavour at all(soft husk). Hops barely noticeable though the carbonation leaves a little bit of a crisp bite. After taste has a touch of corn flavour then cleans up to nothing … nada, the end. This does not count for the warming sensation from the alcohol though.

Notes: Dubbed as A&B’s sub premium ice brew, this brew is aimed for one thing, to get a buzz and quick. Unfortunately they don’t tell you this and then the beer warms up to the point of no return R.I.P. Hey what do you expect for a $1.25 A&B product? Best served ice cold in a frozen mug. (1,175 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -38.6%

Appearance: Golden clear white quickly dissipating head leaves no lacing left on the glass. Aroma: Cereal grains corn and rice adjunct ridden mass produced beer. Taste: Off adjunct flavor light sweetness no hops evident not real good. Mouthfeel: Light bodied over carbonated fizzy yellow beer. Drinkability: Not the beer I would drink avidly. (342 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours pale yellow with a small one finger tall white head leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - Corn, faint alcohol, and a touch of hops and malt.

T - Very similar to the nose with plenty of adjuncts mixed in. Little to no hops, malt, barley, whatever, in this one.

M - Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Light, thin, watery, and fizzy about sums it up.

D - The go to party beer in college. Dirt cheap with a pretty terrible taste. Glad I don't drink this too often anymore. (499 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -26%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours light straw yellow with a fizzy, tight-bubbled head that decends to virtually nothing. Fizzy carbonation makes a temporary patch.

The smell is of seltzer water with some husk.

The taste is sweet - bland grain doused in alcohol. A light beer with some booze. Imbalanced alcohol lends more sweetness than an imbalanced graininess can handle. Some cooked veggies mix in. Fizzy with little flavor.

This is disgustingly sweet, though flavor is virtually non-existent. Is this for people who don't want any taste but just the extra bit of alcohol? I'd say so. Insta-headache. I figured - I'll try it how bad can it be? Oh. It numbed my tongue for a bit. PASS. (662 characters)

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and some light golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy bright white head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of corn adjuncts over the top of light aromas of slightly sweet grainy malts. There is a very light presence of grassy hops as well.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of slightly sweet grain malts with moderate flavors of corn adjuncts. There is a light amount of grassy hop flavors which impart a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: This beer is certainly much better served ice cold - it definitely does not get better as it comes up to room temperature. Certainly not offensive but definitely nothing special either - I think I remember this beer as being much worse from my college days. (1,067 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -20%

Poured vigorously into Bud American Ale pint.

Fizzy 2 finger white head that doesn't last longer than a minute. Color is a clear straw yellow.

Aroma: Very grainy. This beer is somewhat sweet. I can't figure out why, but it isn't the worst marco in the world. It seems to be more fresh than others.

Taste: Whoa, there is that bad macro taste. A ton of grain and corn. Not very sweet anymore. Smell is as far as I will go for this beer.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and skunky. Not anything I am liking. Light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends with a dry grainy aftertaste.

Overall, I am really not liking this beer at all. I can see most regular college guys drinking this because of the abv and the price, but this one is not for me. (742 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -33%

I CANnot believe that I am reviewing this beer!

My local has taken to selling me anything in cans on a single basis because they know that I will both drink and review it. The hazards of being a beer writer, I suppose.

It started out well, with a solid finger's worth of foamy, bone white head, but it quickly reduced to wispiness, leaving behind an impressive sticky lace. The nose was sickly sweet, like bubble gum (or as a previous reviewer so aptly put it, scented shampoo). Not a good start. The color was a beautiful sunshine yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. In fact, A-B is the standard bearer for the clarity test. Their products are generally so bright that nothing else could possibly measure up. Sadly, I drink for taste and not for looks. Mouthfeel was medium with a mild sweetness on the tongue. The finish, however, was wickedly sweet with that perfume-y/gummy/ scented soapy taste just lingering well past the swallow. Ugh. In some Belgians, this might be satisfactory, but from a glaring example of macro swill? It's one step above a drain pour. (1,067 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a pale golden yellow with a thin layer of fizzy white head that has decent retention. The nose is sweet, corny, grainy. The taste is sweet, corny, grainy, watery. The mouthfeel is crisp, very light, and ultra thin.

This is a foul beer. I'm not sure how we drank this by the keg in college. It's too sweet and grainy. There's no hop character. It's bland, one-dimensional, and thin. Pass. (394 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -8.8%

Tallboy can,

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a mild fizzy soapy white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mild adjunct, booze notes.

T: Very mild flavour, pretty much Natty Light with a hint of ethanol.

M: Light-bodied, crisp carbonation, has some structure to it, even if it is watery.

D: One of the mildest macro ice beers out there. If you want to get drunk without flavour go here. (390 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -9.8%

Anheuser Busch : Natural Ice

LOOK: Pale, straw yellow, small wispy head. Little lace. Actually has some retention. Appears like an American style pilsner, but falls short on so many levels.

SMELL: Spent grains, must, soiled diaper, corn.

TASTE: Corn, gassy yeast byproduct, mineral/sour note, creamed corn, vegetation, unbalancing bitterness as this finishes sweet and stale, almost off. Extremely watery and the flavor is not good.

FEEL: Light bodied, medium carbonated, watery, and forgettable.

OVERALL: This is not a good beer. (535 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Natural Ice represents the third beer in the College Invitational. At just $1.09 for 24 oz can, this beer now holds my new record of "Buzz for the Buck" (total alcohol per dollar), edging out the Stoudt's DIPA I found for 99 cents many months ago. Will this promise a good buzzability as it hints from its can? Let's find out now:

Into a Kronenbourg 1664 glass it goes, and it pours a clear yellow with a thin head. The body on this one is pale, but with carbonation action. A whiff of fruity alcohol and fermented corn rise from the beer. At first sip, a rush of carbonation hits the tip of the tongue. A touch of creamed corn then blanket on the palate before the alcohol makes an unwanted stay. Ican taste can liner too. I'm still waiting for some malt and hops, you know, real beer ingredients...oh yeah, it's the College Invitational; I'm not going to get any.

The Buzzability on this one is incomplete because I could not finish the whole can. It's flavor is off and the aftertaste is sickening. Can you blame me though? I dumped the rest into the toilet because my sink would reject it.

After having Natural Ice, we wait for the conclusion of the College Invtational, which will be happening tomorrow. (1,213 characters)

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again. (252 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +27%

16oz can shared with geezer Jim. Poured the bright, clear, clean yellow typical of the style, with a thin white head that had zero retention or lacing.

The aroma was non-existent, no grain, hops or alcohol. At least there was no skunk so it gained a point for that. The taste was grainy, but bland, fairly typical for the style.

Body and drinkability were both typical for the style. This isn't a style that I seek out, but, due to issue with me running off at the mouth, I have to drink a few examples of the style, I might as well review 'em. (546 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Poured a bright, and brilliantly clear gold color with a respectable ½ finger snow white creamy head that lasted for a minute of two. Visible carbonation was extremely light with but a few surface bound bubbles seen at any given time.

S: light with some sweet buttered grains and was very faint. Some light soft lemon hints sneak in as well but really don't improve it in any way. Pretty boring.

T: sweet buttered grains, was fairly crisp with some fresh lemon hopping. There was a sour citric finish that was pretty much a turn off with some sour apples and grains being detected as well.

M: thin, oily, with a citric tang and very fizzy despite its calm visible nature.

D: At 5.9% abv I didn't detect as much alcohol as I did off flavors. One was more then enough and was pretty rough going down. Not something I would ever care to try again. (856 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a 24oz can into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: pale yellowy hue which is almost fluorescent in nature. Clear body with a nice effervescence, but the head poured less than a finger of frothy non-persistent foam. I mean, it's not terrible, but really?

Smell: light aroma with a bizarre fruitiness reminiscent of champagne, but somehow, not in a good way. That said, it is free of particularly offensive aromas. So ... yeah.

Taste: light, sweet malt with a plastic-tasting element which is not particularly pleasing. Eh.

Mouthfeel: watery and lightly fizzy; mostly insipid but there is a universe where I think something might be worse. Not good.

Overall: this is a beer which can be consumed without immediate esophageal consequences. Still, it lacks even the basic drinkability of a bad macro lager. Uff da. (821 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is not so good. Metallic and alcohol with some corn. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall there are far better cheap beers than this one. (280 characters)

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch