Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros

1.73/5  rDev 0%

Thanks again Dad, you can sure pick them out. Drank straight from the can. I'd guess that is it crystal clear, light yellow, has the carbonation of coca-cola along with the fizziness. Aromas are of any type of grain other than barley malt. My guess; rice. Quite astringent and grainy to the taste. Metalic and harshly bittered (old hops?) All flavors are muted except for the bad ones. Alcohol and carbonation basically chokes my toung. It's a typical smash-the-can-on-your-forehead beer. If you are going to drink a bad beer, might as well save a few cents while doing it.

1.98/5  rDev +14.5%

I'm reviewing this beer in a side by side comparison with Bud Ice. Please see the review of that beer for the introduction. I should note that both are from 24 oz. cans. The vital stats on the Bud Ice are 2.23 BA rating, 5.5% ABV and $1.97. The corresponding stats on the Natural Ice are 2.03 BA rating, 5.9% ABV and $1.38. Maybe they're different after all. Also, both were started out at my beer fridge temperature of 50 degrees (I know, I know... ). Let the fun and games begin.

Clear, light, bright gold. The descriptions for beer and head are identical because these two beers look identical. There isn't one scintilla of difference in the appearances; they might as well have come out of the same can.

They have nearly identical noses as well. Both are underpowered and this one smells of sweet, husky grain and mildly musty hops. To their credit, neither one has any semblance of skunkiness that some (yes... fresh) macros can have. I know that it isn't actual, light-struck skunk, but it's nasty all the same.

As noted in the Bud Ice review, Natural Ice has a bit more flavor and is sweeter with a less pronounced graininess. Again, some nastiness has appeared as the beer warms, but it's equal between the two and is managable. As long as I don't let them warm too much before this cage match is over, I should be okay. This beer's body is also light, but the mouthfeel is helped a little by what I presume is a higher sugar content.

Natural Ice is my preference based on more flavor and (marginally) better flavor. I've successfully determined, to my own satisfaction, that there's a difference between these two beers, even if it's subtle. Best not to mess with success if you're A-B, right?

Looks like I differ from the collective wisdom of the BA community on the relative merits of these two, but at least we (almost) all agree on one thing. Bud Ice and Natural Ice are both bad beer.

1.18/5  rDev -31.8%

Ok, here we go, I think we may have hit bottom. I really I had never even had this one before this, but figured I should try the cheapest beer I could find. Poured the palest and clearest yellow imaginable, big fizzy white head faded immediatly to leave just really nothing. Lots of chains of bubbles littered throughout, but this was just soo damn clear. Smell did not exist, at least I couldn't smell one, don't know if that is good or bad in this case, so thats really all I can comment on. Taste again was non existent, maybe a slight taste of corn or grain, but really I was dumbfounded as there was really no taste. Was slick, smooth going down. Tasted like ice cold water and I could see why people drink so much, they are trying to find the taste!

1.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Ah Natty Ice, how I've not missed you at all...

A: The pour is a crystal clear yellow color with a big white head that is gone before it's arrived.

S: This beer smells like Nebraska. Corn, corn, and more corn. And then some offensive aromas of alcohol, urine, and grass. Actually, that's not fair, sorry Nebraska.

T: An intense alcohol, corn, and grain flavor to this beer. Just bad. It's no wonder this beer was only used for drinking games that involved chugging and "served" ice cold. I can barely choke this down.

M: Light, thin, watery, and fizzy just about sums up our mouthfeel.

D: This stuff is probably the worst of the adjunct lagers. At least most of them are not so blatantly offensive.

1.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Friend of mine tossed me one of these during Super Bowl XLIV. Wanted to toss it right back but instead I cracked open the can and gave it a whack. Very light on flavor, it wasn't anything to write home about. Half way through I started getting a headache. Not sure if it was from the beer or not, I just found it ironic. I'm happy I at least tried this brew. But I never have to have this again.

1.08/5  rDev -37.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow body crowned with a thin ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Cold creamed corn, flower petals, and a waft of alcohol.

Taste: A corn-driven taste with an icky sweetness and plenty of fusel alcohol that could be called anything but "natural". A mild bitterness does little to mask the sweet, fusel finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. Spitefully watery.

Drinkability: An unrewarding, cheapo beer. Its cost matches its quality.

2.25/5  rDev +30.1%

3.08/5  rDev +78%

24oz super can, one of those last minute, last gas-up purchases ($1.50 is good for getting rid of excess change) before crossing the border home, into the Great White North. Very NHL-marketing reminiscent can label.

Natty Ice pours a crystal clear, pale golden colour, with a ton of columnar thin puffy bone-white head, which settles at an even pace, leaving some decent curtain lace around the glass as it does so. It smells of corny malt, and skanky, weedy hops. The taste is also unsurprisingly corny, with a somewhat innocuously fruity malt, and minimal skunky, earthy, dead grassy hops. The carbonation is fairly average, the body on the light side, but buoyed by a sugar and booze swell, smoothness somehow extracting itself from this situation. It finishes off-dry in the good ol' cheap-ass malt likka wannabe sense, bastardized sugar and nothing much else.

Another instance of form over substance - cheap, plentiful, and not all that offensive - if I didn't know any better, I'd be drinking this like water, which I'm sure actually happens all the time. Really, this is pretty innocuous, and not even that saccharine, so much so that I don't even rue the pocket change expended. It is what it is, and for that, I cannot truly find fault.

A crystal clear straw-gold body reveals hundreds of fast-rising standard-sized bubbles racing to support a dwindling head of creamy white foam. It does maintain a thin surface covering, however, and leaves some very slight lace momentarily following each sip. The nose is clean with a light touch of apple. The body is medium/light and it's nicely crisp on the tongue due to its fine, effervescent carbonation. Sweet adjunct-laden malt dominates the flavor; balanced by an underlying bitterness that's accentuated by it's crisp carbonation. It finishes semi-dry with some residual sticky malt about the mouth. Well made, but not very interesting.

2.7/5  rDev +56.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Presentation: Tall 22 oz brown bottle with a wide mouth opening for quicker drinking. Born On Date in bottom left hand corner.

Appearance: The traditional way to drink this is straight out of the bottle though I poured a little bit into my glass to see that the colour was of a pale straw hue and minimal head retention typical of the style.

Smell: Virtually nothing … very clean with a tiny whiff of rice, husky malt and faint alcohol.

Taste: Clean and crisp, sterile tasting with an obviously light body. Well carbonated with a smooth mouth feel. Adjuncts galore … not much malt flavour at all(soft husk). Hops barely noticeable though the carbonation leaves a little bit of a crisp bite. After taste has a touch of corn flavour then cleans up to nothing … nada, the end. This does not count for the warming sensation from the alcohol though.

Notes: Dubbed as A&B’s sub premium ice brew, this brew is aimed for one thing, to get a buzz and quick. Unfortunately they don’t tell you this and then the beer warms up to the point of no return R.I.P. Hey what do you expect for a $1.25 A&B product? Best served ice cold in a frozen mug.

1.33/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Golden clear white quickly dissipating head leaves no lacing left on the glass. Aroma: Cereal grains corn and rice adjunct ridden mass produced beer. Taste: Off adjunct flavor light sweetness no hops evident not real good. Mouthfeel: Light bodied over carbonated fizzy yellow beer. Drinkability: Not the beer I would drink avidly.

2.88/5  rDev +66.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains light malts, adjuncts and a very light touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out very bready with flavors of grain and adjuncts followed by some light malt sweetness that isn't as strong as most other beers in the style. The hops presence is very mild but on-target for the style and is strong enough to bring a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little flavorful considering the style, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, it's exactly what you would expect from the style, it might not be even an average beer overall, but I've had several other beers in the style that are a lot worse.

1.5/5  rDev -13.3%

1.5/5  rDev -13.3%

1.58/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours light straw yellow with a fizzy, tight-bubbled head that decends to virtually nothing. Fizzy carbonation makes a temporary patch.

The smell is of seltzer water with some husk.

The taste is sweet - bland grain doused in alcohol. A light beer with some booze. Imbalanced alcohol lends more sweetness than an imbalanced graininess can handle. Some cooked veggies mix in. Fizzy with little flavor.

This is disgustingly sweet, though flavor is virtually non-existent. Is this for people who don't want any taste but just the extra bit of alcohol? I'd say so. Insta-headache. I figured - I'll try it how bad can it be? Oh. It numbed my tongue for a bit. PASS.

1.75/5  rDev +1.2%