Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 316 | Hads: 1,302
2.5/5  rDev +25.6%

It's not very good, but at least it's cheap as hell. I'd drink this over Bud or that awful PBR garbage 8 days a week. If you want a good beer, leave this alone, but if you want a cheap beer that gets the job done and tastes better than most horrible watery lagers then grab yourself a Natty Ice. Stay away from Natty light.

If you are drinking this for the flavor there's something seriously wrong with you. Glad brews like this exist, because sometimes you are just trying to get a buzz.

2.18/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Pale translucent gold with poor head and retention. It does have some lacing however.

S: Adjuncts ( Corn ) and booze.

T: Same as the smell except the corn has a slightly rotten taste. Not good.

M: Very watery but it is crisp and slightly refreshing.

O: Another poor AAL. I really need to stop reviewing this stuff.

2.24/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a beer game beer. It's really watery, and you can slam it down while you're playing beer pong or flip cup. That's the only time this beer is acceptable. All other times you should drink something else. Anything else. It's just so bland. Water tastes better and doesn't give you a hangover.

Anecdotal note. I have a friend who can never make a decision ever. We were throwing a party, and we needed beer. He hands me a ten dollar bill and tells me to get something. I ask him what he wants. He just says, "whatever." So me and another friend go to the liquor store to buy the beers. We bought mostly relatively acceptable macro brews, I want to say probably miller lite. Him, we bought a case of this saying, "This'll teach him." We get back to the appartment and he says, "NATTY ICE IS MY FAVORITE!!!"

I guess the lesson is is that somewhere out there is a guy that this beer is the perfect match for. Watery, and flavorless. That's how he likes his beers.

It does it's job. I may be an considered an alcoholic but my wife and I drink this to get drunk and it works. No bad taste. We drink right out of the can and it is the best bang for your buck. I'm not a beer snob like some on here, so if you're looking to get drunk for cheap this is the beer to drink. We don't get a hangover from it and it doesn't hurt my wallet.

2.38/5  rDev +19.6%

Sampled from 25oz can into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a sudsy white 1" head that falls fairly quick with some lacing left behind. Color is clear pale straw. Plenty of streaming bubbles.

Aroma: mild aroma of corn sweetness, white bread and not much else.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with an easy dry finish. Quite watery.

Flavor: some light barley notes, plenty of corn sweetness, maybe a bit of husks, with a hint of hops in the end. There is a slight alcohol presence in the finish.

Overall: First time I have ever tried this. I wasn't expecting much, so was surprised that it was not offensive at all. Definitely want to drink this one ice cold.

Appearance, beautiful body, yellow, nice head with 1 finger.

Smell, wonder smell of sweet bread, no malt body, wonderful hop profile.

Taste, tastes sweet, mildly hopped, ends with a crisps ice taste.

Mouthfeel, wonderful crispness.

Overall, this get's me loaded when I need it. I've had The younger, Heady Topper, Elder, Zombie Dust, etc etc, eat a $hit beer snobs, sometimes you need to get loaded and this does it. Doesn't taste all that bad either. If spotting bananas are your thing, look no further.

3.1/5  rDev +55.8%

A-Clear golden appearance with soapy head that dies to nothing. Very carbonated. Looks like an American beer.

S-Sweet corn. Very grainy. I'd guess that is from the barley malt. Smells like an American beer.

T- Very sweet and corny. Light spiciness from the "American and imported hops" Anheuser-Busch claims is in this beer. Dry finish like an American beer has. Overall it's slightly richer tasting than most American lagers (probably the style is the reason)nothing more, nothing less to say here. Not disgusting or really awesome.

M- Light, crisp, clean and refreshing. Highly carbonated. I haven't had many ice lagers in my day (just Bud Ice a few times), but it's got a slightly bigger body than a regular Natural or Bud product.

Overall it's beer. It not good, nor is it bad. If you can't enjoy it for what it is, you're missing the point of beers like this.

2.93/5  rDev +47.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Natty Ice dominates in the category of 'college-binge-drinking' 30 racks considering it is a hefty 5.9% (for shitty beer) and goes down like water. Not heavy, not tasteful, but gets the job done. At a price point of like $20 or less for 30 cans you can't really go wrong for the college budget. Beats out bud light and miller for bang for your buck.

2.98/5  rDev +49.7%

Nothing special here, i go to college so i drink it a lot.Its obviously not winning any awards but it gets you drunk. Many people might say its a terrible beer but its better than some other beers on the same level. Great if you want to get drunk because it doesn't taste like much goes down like water. equivalent taste...cold piss

3.96/5  rDev +99%

Its a good Beer for the Buck only 5.40 a six pack of 16 oz cans where I live in silverbay mn but it is a good beer for a cheap beer better than bush an has a good color an flavor if your not realy into the hoppy beers other wise its head goes to quick other than that its a good beer

2.99/5  rDev +50.3%

As much as I consider myself a Beer aficionado, I am thankful that there are brews like Natural Ice, no, you wont be sipping it and admiring it's aroma! Ha! No, instead, when your on a budget and you want 30 cold 5.9 puppies to guzzle, and get an admirable buzz, this brew is for you!

2.7/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

40 ounce bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - :Poured a light yellow/straw color with a big head with no retention.

S - Very neutral with some adjunct smell. No hop note.

T - Again, very light with little hint of anything other than grains and particularly rice. Just a hint of alcohol in the finish.

M - Very thin with decent enough carbonation.

O - If I didn't collect 40 ounce bottles as part of my breweriana collection I probably would pass on this. This is a cheap beer with a sole purpose of introducing alcohol into the body. If this stuff get warm (over about 40F) it becomes intolerable so don't buy a big container unless you are going to share of put it back in the refrigerator between pours.

Where can it be found so cheap? This isn't much for me as it is for my step-father who's disabled and likes natural ice. Any tips or tricks on cheaper is great for his purpose. I like it as well since it does the job for the low buck vs. most. Thanks

3.5/5  rDev +75.9%

I have got to give this beer a 3.5 out of 5, its not the best beer but its a damn good beer for your buck. $13.99 before taxes for a 30 pack. To me it tastes pretty good, got a good color and a pleasing smell and taste for your typical american adjunct lager. So yeah at 5.9% abv ice beer, i would roll with this and I am usually a Icehouse fan!

4.06/5  rDev +104%

I have to say, when I first drank this beer it tasted great. I think it has been downgraded in quality and now tastes not so good. Once was good now sucks. I think that batches differ considerably, compounded by freshness variables. LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE it gets cheaped out after initial success..

1.73/5  rDev -13.1%

One can really tell that natural light is an anheuser busch product. I love the taste of coors or miller (I love beer in general even budweiser is ok) but im young and havent tried any craft beers, my experience is limited to domestic beers, soon to change.
Anyways on to the review. The beer poured nice and half of it was head in the glass, smelled sort of like beer but then you take a sip and your let down.
Really this beer is only good for getting a buzz quick it tastes like watered down to the max, id venture to say it might be worse than budlight in taste and I never thought I would say that about a beer.
This was not what I wanted to buy but the store did not have what I wanted so I figures I would try natty ice. Yes I would say its worse than bud light and thats pretty bad, you cant taste any alcohol so I suppose it would be ok for chugging but I like to have a nice tasting beer not water beer, and while coors or miller are certainly not craft beer they do taste like beer.

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and some light golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy bright white head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of corn adjuncts over the top of light aromas of slightly sweet grainy malts. There is a very light presence of grassy hops as well.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of slightly sweet grain malts with moderate flavors of corn adjuncts. There is a light amount of grassy hop flavors which impart a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: This beer is certainly much better served ice cold - it definitely does not get better as it comes up to room temperature. Certainly not offensive but definitely nothing special either - I think I remember this beer as being much worse from my college days.

1.9/5  rDev -4.5%

This was another one that i feared was in a keg at any college party I went to. It is light amber and it doesn't have a lot of taste. the taste it does have is a sweaty taste. It also goes down pretty rough so it's not even as smooth as water. It is a cheap beer so how much can you expect right?

2.82/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. can purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

Is this beer ever intended to be served in a glass? In any case, the pour yielded a crystal clear, bright golden yellow body that was topped by a two-finger tall, tight, creamy, bone white head. Steaks of lacing trickled down the glass. The head eventually faded to a lasting ring. Pretty impressive thus far.

The aroma was dominated by super dry, powdery, yeasty notes. It was so powdery that I felt like I was going to sneeze every time I inhaled. Somewhat grainy. Not bad, but really simplistic. With time, some generic sweet notes came forth. Lots of adjuncts as well.

Adjunct notes were really apparent in the flavor profile. Slightly sweet on the front end. Super husky, grainy malts were also noticeable. The finish was dry and moderately bitter. As the beer warmed, tart wheaty and lemony notes took over. The beer was exceedingly crisp and surprisingly refreshing. Best of all, the 5.9% ABV was nowhere to be found.

The mouthfeel was exceptionally light and airy and contained a spritzy, aggressive carbonation.

When one thinks of modern day so-called "ice" beers, images of frat boys, beer pong and toga parties likely come to mind. Surprisingly, this beer was pretty decent and not much different from "premium" American adjunct lagers. If you are hard up for cash and looking to get drunk, there are definitely worse options out there.

4.9/5  rDev +146.2%

So you think I`m crazy for rating this perfect?
Well I`m NOT - buy a big-ass Criscraft Constellation beautiful mahogany boat and invite tons of strippers out in it every weekend, this beer is LOVED by slutty bitches cause they can`t even taste the "beer" and they get sooo smashed before they know it, you got naked strippers everywhere and pussy wanting to be eaten all over your face! (and all over each others face).
Just take that shit "belowdeck" on the 4th of July cause the Coastguard can be rough on you after families complain that their kids want to breastfeed again for some reason at age 15!!!
This shit will get you soooo fucked up - after the first few - who cares about the water taste?
As a matter of fact serve it ice cold in generic water bottles - works great for "hard" working strippers who need "refreshments".
It always brings back NO memories! ha!
*Oh just to add to this - this beer maybe substituted by ICEHOUSE beer at anytime for the same effect!

2.69/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This beer was not too good but here's the thing, if you're looking for cheap beer that doesn't go down bad, Natural ice is the beer for you. I feel like this is the type of beer that people drink more for the effect and less for the over all experience. For me its 50/50 on a day that I feel like cutting lose, but I can't really see myself drinking this beer for a long time.

3.5/5  rDev +75.9%

This beer taste malty then carbonated. Not a strong taste but balanced. Best beer for your money 13.99 a 30 pack here. I'm satisfied and would recommend. Seems like the flavor has changed since inbev and anhueser merged. I drink this in the can clean taste no metallic taste. Light mouth fill and light taste.

2.66/5  rDev +33.7%

Fruity, mostly banana-like esters, dominate the nose. Kinda reminds me of banana Runts candy with the sweet sugariness also. Not much in the way of malt and no hops to speak of. I get a bit of Circus Peanuts as it warms. The flavor is even more boring than the nose. The banana-like thing is here also, but the sweetness up front is almost immediately drowned out by a watery impression. Super short on the finish because there's not much flavor to begin with. It's mostly a carbonic and watery.

Overall, this brew is remarkably flavorless for the near 6% ABV. The carbonation is probably much to blame as you can almost feel it “scrubbing” the flavor off your tongue as you drink it. Over-carbonated “Light beer” type of feel.

1.31/5  rDev -34.2%

This beer is horrible. Tastes like battery acid. I had this and a miller lite side by side. The miller was miles better than this. This is the worst of the cheap beers, and one can also assume that means it is the worst beer on the market, which it is. Horrible beer which only is sold for high school and college partys. Rest assured though this beer does its job: to get people drunk and laid.

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch