Follow our progress ...

Natural IceNatural Ice

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Reviews: 326 | Ratings: 1,343
1.68/5  rDev -16%

Calling this a beer is a disgrace. This is some real crap. Most people nailed it by saying it's only good for getting drunk.that is true and its cheap. It's faux beer for people who want to get drunk off of something similar to beer. And some people talk about how it's refreshing and great for relaxing. Must be crazy to think that. If you have 5$ and want to get drunk you can get 6 pack of 16oz Natties, a couple of 40s which are far worse or a small bottle of very cheep booze. Your call

4.75/5  rDev +137.5%

Meh. Ok.... I guess. Someone paid me to drink this piss warm. I regret nothing. I won that bet. Then i popped a can ice cold. Drinkable that way. Actually surprisingly not bad, when you see its cheaper than keystone where i bought it, and somehow its not instantaneous projectile vomiting.
one of and this isnt saying much, the better ice beers around. Actually has some flavor to it. I am comparing this against beers in its class, Namely Keystone Ice Milwaukees best ICE, Bud Ice, and Busch ice. Compared to those things this seems not bad. Not that it matters. you drink a few bottles of natural ice you forget all about the flavor. Trust me, this stuff will f**k you up. They go down incredibly easy cold anyway. Don't do what i did and accept a wager to drink it hot without puking. Its pretty awful hot. Then again, what beer isnt? had a Sierra Nevada Pale ale ice cold, beats all of these things ive rated. once it gets warm, its just as bad.

1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

Pros: It'll get ya drunk
Its not malt liquor

Cons: Just about everything else

Overall: The cheapest drinkable beer I can find. Goes down like water and that's a good thing in this case. I wouldn't want to actually taste it.

2/5  rDev 0%

Really nothing good or bad about this. Light, almost no flavor. Watery even. Could call it refreshing after a long day, but that's about it.

At that rate though, just drink water.

It's nothing fancy or worth being snobby about, but I can snag a 4-pack of tall boys for less than $3 US, and it'll get the job done quick. Keep it cold, though, it tastes a lot worse warm.

1.5/5  rDev -25%

Nattie Ice is a hard hitting yet smooth beer. It's not very good, but dang it, it gets the job done. This is the type of cheap beer I buy when I want to get drunk.

4.47/5  rDev +123.5%

Guys, sometimes you drink beer to frat your face off and get drunk. In those situations, you need fuel, fuel that is also beer. Natty ice IS YOUR FUEL. It's got enough of the good stuff to take your party to the next level, but a name that suggests a way cooler and smoother finish then you actually get - but who cares, cause after 3 of these bad boys you're in the zone.

Boom.

1.5/5  rDev -25%

The good thing about it is that it doesn't taste outright rotten.

That's about it.

A friend of mine got a six pack of "Natty Ice" cans, sort of as a joke, and I asked for one. He did not hesitate to give me one of these precious, precious beers.

I cracked it open one night and took a few sips. I didn't really taste anything. Well, there might have been some grain there, but it was FAINT. It was not pleasant. I wanted to pour it all out. But you know what? I'm gonna be honest here. I did the thing that I think most normal people do with Natty Ice: I hammered the rest of it home and got a nice, cheap buzz.

2.93/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Natural Ice. Can you believe I've never laid lips to this yet?

Appearance : A fluffy 2 finger head quickly recedes to a basic foam ring on top of a mellow gold transparent body.

Smell : A fruity, grainy smell that's pleasant to the nose. A bit of banana and orange and creamed corn. I'm actually surprised this smells decent.

Taste : It's got a nice corn body with a backlash of ripe banana. This is crazy, I never expected this to have the flavor it does. The finish is a bit skunky but nothing I can't handle comfortably. The overall taste is of fizzy banana and corn. It's actually decent.

Mouthfeel : Fizz, with a clammy finish.

Overall : This isn't half bad and for what you pay for it, it's better than a lot of macros out there. I really thought this would be terrible but it's not. It's worth a shot if you're broke and want a tasty lager for the night. Still doesn't beat High Life but pretty close.

2.5/5  rDev +25%

It's not very good, but at least it's cheap as hell. I'd drink this over Bud or that awful PBR garbage 8 days a week. If you want a good beer, leave this alone, but if you want a cheap beer that gets the job done and tastes better than most horrible watery lagers then grab yourself a Natty Ice. Stay away from Natty light.

If you are drinking this for the flavor there's something seriously wrong with you. Glad brews like this exist, because sometimes you are just trying to get a buzz.

3.75/5  rDev +87.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma - :Almost non-existent, has a slight grain aroma. Appearance- A nice clear light yellow color with a large white head Taste - Mostly a grain flavor with an alcohol aftertaste Palate- A thin bodied brew with light carbonation. Overall - A bargain priced beer that is meant to be quaffed in large quantities. It is not bad and for the style of beer it is one of the better ones out there.

2.18/5  rDev +9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Pale translucent gold with poor head and retention. It does have some lacing however.

S: Adjuncts ( Corn ) and booze.

T: Same as the smell except the corn has a slightly rotten taste. Not good.

M: Very watery but it is crisp and slightly refreshing.

O: Another poor AAL. I really need to stop reviewing this stuff.

2.24/5  rDev +12%

This is a beer game beer. It's really watery, and you can slam it down while you're playing beer pong or flip cup. That's the only time this beer is acceptable. All other times you should drink something else. Anything else. It's just so bland. Water tastes better and doesn't give you a hangover.

Anecdotal note. I have a friend who can never make a decision ever. We were throwing a party, and we needed beer. He hands me a ten dollar bill and tells me to get something. I ask him what he wants. He just says, "whatever." So me and another friend go to the liquor store to buy the beers. We bought mostly relatively acceptable macro brews, I want to say probably miller lite. Him, we bought a case of this saying, "This'll teach him." We get back to the appartment and he says, "NATTY ICE IS MY FAVORITE!!!"

I guess the lesson is is that somewhere out there is a guy that this beer is the perfect match for. Watery, and flavorless. That's how he likes his beers.

It does it's job. I may be an considered an alcoholic but my wife and I drink this to get drunk and it works. No bad taste. We drink right out of the can and it is the best bang for your buck. I'm not a beer snob like some on here, so if you're looking to get drunk for cheap this is the beer to drink. We don't get a hangover from it and it doesn't hurt my wallet.

2.38/5  rDev +19%

Sampled from 25oz can into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a sudsy white 1" head that falls fairly quick with some lacing left behind. Color is clear pale straw. Plenty of streaming bubbles.

Aroma: mild aroma of corn sweetness, white bread and not much else.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with an easy dry finish. Quite watery.

Flavor: some light barley notes, plenty of corn sweetness, maybe a bit of husks, with a hint of hops in the end. There is a slight alcohol presence in the finish.

Overall: First time I have ever tried this. I wasn't expecting much, so was surprised that it was not offensive at all. Definitely want to drink this one ice cold.

Appearance, beautiful body, yellow, nice head with 1 finger.

Smell, wonder smell of sweet bread, no malt body, wonderful hop profile.

Taste, tastes sweet, mildly hopped, ends with a crisps ice taste.

Mouthfeel, wonderful crispness.

Overall, this get's me loaded when I need it. I've had The younger, Heady Topper, Elder, Zombie Dust, etc etc, eat a $hit beer snobs, sometimes you need to get loaded and this does it. Doesn't taste all that bad either. If spotting bananas are your thing, look no further.

3.1/5  rDev +55%

A-Clear golden appearance with soapy head that dies to nothing. Very carbonated. Looks like an American beer.

S-Sweet corn. Very grainy. I'd guess that is from the barley malt. Smells like an American beer.

T- Very sweet and corny. Light spiciness from the "American and imported hops" Anheuser-Busch claims is in this beer. Dry finish like an American beer has. Overall it's slightly richer tasting than most American lagers (probably the style is the reason)nothing more, nothing less to say here. Not disgusting or really awesome.

M- Light, crisp, clean and refreshing. Highly carbonated. I haven't had many ice lagers in my day (just Bud Ice a few times), but it's got a slightly bigger body than a regular Natural or Bud product.

Overall it's beer. It not good, nor is it bad. If you can't enjoy it for what it is, you're missing the point of beers like this.

2.93/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Natty Ice dominates in the category of 'college-binge-drinking' 30 racks considering it is a hefty 5.9% (for shitty beer) and goes down like water. Not heavy, not tasteful, but gets the job done. At a price point of like $20 or less for 30 cans you can't really go wrong for the college budget. Beats out bud light and miller for bang for your buck.

2.98/5  rDev +49%

Nothing special here, i go to college so i drink it a lot.Its obviously not winning any awards but it gets you drunk. Many people might say its a terrible beer but its better than some other beers on the same level. Great if you want to get drunk because it doesn't taste like much goes down like water. equivalent taste...cold piss

3.96/5  rDev +98%

Its a good Beer for the Buck only 5.40 a six pack of 16 oz cans where I live in silverbay mn but it is a good beer for a cheap beer better than bush an has a good color an flavor if your not realy into the hoppy beers other wise its head goes to quick other than that its a good beer

2.99/5  rDev +49.5%

As much as I consider myself a Beer aficionado, I am thankful that there are brews like Natural Ice, no, you wont be sipping it and admiring it's aroma! Ha! No, instead, when your on a budget and you want 30 cold 5.9 puppies to guzzle, and get an admirable buzz, this brew is for you!

2.7/5  rDev +35%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

40 ounce bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - :Poured a light yellow/straw color with a big head with no retention.

S - Very neutral with some adjunct smell. No hop note.

T - Again, very light with little hint of anything other than grains and particularly rice. Just a hint of alcohol in the finish.

M - Very thin with decent enough carbonation.

O - If I didn't collect 40 ounce bottles as part of my breweriana collection I probably would pass on this. This is a cheap beer with a sole purpose of introducing alcohol into the body. If this stuff get warm (over about 40F) it becomes intolerable so don't buy a big container unless you are going to share of put it back in the refrigerator between pours.

Where can it be found so cheap? This isn't much for me as it is for my step-father who's disabled and likes natural ice. Any tips or tricks on cheaper is great for his purpose. I like it as well since it does the job for the low buck vs. most. Thanks

3.5/5  rDev +75%

I have got to give this beer a 3.5 out of 5, its not the best beer but its a damn good beer for your buck. $13.99 before taxes for a 30 pack. To me it tastes pretty good, got a good color and a pleasing smell and taste for your typical american adjunct lager. So yeah at 5.9% abv ice beer, i would roll with this and I am usually a Icehouse fan!

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch