Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Reviews: 311 | Hads: 1,267
2.15/5  rDev 0%

appearance isnt that great, to dark for a pilsner in my opinion, smell is averege I suppose, taste isnt that great, very metallic, smooth, but I have to force it down, mouthfeel is alright I suppose. But overall this isnt a good beer, even for the price, I would take Icehouse over this anyday of the week, I used to like it, but now that I've had a variety of beers I think this one is rather overated. (403 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Poured this American Adjunct Lager from a 22 oz can into a pint glass. Poured a pale straw color, produced an average head, retention was poor and it left no lacing on the glass. The aroma was very clean, perhaps some malt and rice. Light in body, this lager has a foundation of corn and rice....all adjuncts here....not much of any malt flavor to speak of- only a small helping of hops. Overall, a poorly made beer. Keep your 1.25 and put a down payment on a real beer. (470 characters)

2.18/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I've had a can of this sitting in my basement fridge for god knows how long now, probably about 2 years or so now. Can't even remember how a can of this managed to get into my basement fridge in the first place. So I figured what the hell, it was finally time to drink and review. Poured into my pint glass, this beer pours a clear light to medium golden color with an initially very tall white foamy head that settled extremely quickly to a decently thick white head lining the inside of the glass with little clusters of foam lining the inside of the glass. Little bits of lacing lining the inside of the glass here and there, but nothing that good lace wise. Faint, sweet grassy aromas of some malt and corn are present and not much of, if anything, else. Sweet and grassy flavors of malt and corn and once again not much of if anything else here flavorwise. No hops discernible to my palate. Has a crisp and fairly smooth, light to medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Goes down easy and smooth and has a clean finish. Easy to drink in the way seltzer water is, not the way beer should be. For this style of beer and as far as Anheuser Busch products go this one really isn't that bad. It didn't have any of the terrible adjunct off flavors or metallic aftertastes that many of their other products, as well as other companies' macro brews, have. Perhaps the 2 years of "aging" it got sitting in my fridge for 2 years actually improved this beer because I was certainly expecting it to taste worse.

Eric (1,531 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +47.9%

Big head at first then dies quickly. Very nice on the sides of the tongue and then finishes with a good mouthfeel. The alcohol creeps up on you very quickly and then, BAM, you are on your ass! Whoa! Ate pretzels and sardines in mustard sauce to keep the buzz in check. Finally finished with 2 more and went to bed. (314 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

From a 12 oz can into a glass.

A- Pale yellow. A finger amount of head that quickly fizzles away to a little ring. The tiniest amount of lacing.

S- Alcohol, corn, some grains. In that order.

T- It tastes like seltzer water and corn with some alcohol. But the "taste" goes away once swallowed.

M- Extremely light mouthfeel. Very clean and crisp. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is an ok beer when it's a hot day out. It's refreshing, but you can really taste the alcohol in it in the initial few sips. (515 characters)

This is bad. Pours the color of urine after an evening drinking BCBS. Smells like vodka. In my years as a server of cheap beer, I served enough of this to fill the building that you're stitting in. Everytime I made the mistake of drinking it I vomited. (252 characters)

1.17/5  rDev -45.6%

Just a horrid beer. There is no reason in the world to drink this.

It's bright urine yellow. A fizzy head not unlike the head that forms in the toilet when peeing.

Smells like nothing.

Tastes like sweet, sweet skunk. Just nasty stuff.

Light body. Highly carbonated. If you drink it, pound it, because if it even warms up a little bit, it tastes like the Devil's taint. (372 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -26%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This beer is probably one of the worse beers you can buy. Very dull and watered down taste makes it a unwanted beer in my opinion. If you are looking for a cheap beer there are better choices than Natural Ice to choose. The can is unattractive as well. If you are looking for a beer as simple as its name, this is what you are looking for. (339 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -33.5%

A - Pours very clear yellow with a large bone-white head. Left a small amount of lacing.

S - Pretty much smells as expected. A little bit og rice adjunct, but the scent is dominated by cheap stale malt.

T - Huge amounts of cheap malt all over this flavor with a small amount of green apple and alcohol.

M - Thin watery body with extremely heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, It tasted like an extremely cheap malt liquor. It was pretty bad. (440 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -28.4%

Three fingers of head in a tulip glass, descent retention. Clear, light straw colored body.
Smell is grainy with a hint of honey... and hint of some unidentifiable metallic type of smell.
Taste is fairly bad: watery with a note of bitterness that despite it's low profile manages to make the beer worse.
Light body with moderate carbonation.
Overall, pretty bad. (363 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -9.8%

Anheuser Busch : Natural Ice

LOOK: Pale, straw yellow, small wispy head. Little lace. Actually has some retention. Appears like an American style pilsner, but falls short on so many levels.

SMELL: Spent grains, must, soiled diaper, corn.

TASTE: Corn, gassy yeast byproduct, mineral/sour note, creamed corn, vegetation, unbalancing bitterness as this finishes sweet and stale, almost off. Extremely watery and the flavor is not good.

FEEL: Light bodied, medium carbonated, watery, and forgettable.

OVERALL: This is not a good beer. (535 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -10.7%

32-oz. bottle into a pint glass at my house on Nov. 14, 2012 (purchased at a 7/11 for $2.49 on Nov. 14, 2012). Pale clear with less than one finger of white head that dissipated almost immediately. OK retention on the sides, hardly any on the top.

Smelled a sharp whiff of malty alcohol up front. That gave way to a puky pungent follow. Also got corn, honey, cereal and grass.

Tasted a bit similar to the nose, but with a bad lingering aftertaste. Got bread, hay, cereal, biscuit and corn. Lots of disgusting faces.

Light body. Thin texture. Average-to-below average carbonation. Abrupt watery finish.

I’ve had this plenty of times, but this was the first time I rated it. It was actually a bit better than I remember it and I still swear by Natty Light for my cheap beer. The ratings, however, didn’t come out to well, even when considering the style. It is funny that I used to think that “ice” beers were so strong. (931 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +30.2%

Of course this isn't the best beer in the world and I don't think anyone at AB would seriously try to say it was, but it's a good bit stronger and in my opinion more of a 'beer' than natural light which is the same price.

I especially like this as a backup beer when I am going to a party or event I know there will be moochers at. I drink up my good beer then finish off and hand out the ice's.

for 13.99 a case... you really can't find anything that's actually better for that cheap. Possibly Red Dog, but I don't see that beer in stores anymore at least in my state. (572 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +32.6%

A "pounder" poured into a pint glass.

The beer has the typical macro lager look. Extremely pale yellow, tons of carbonation, and a head that disappeared so fast you would never know that it existed. The top of the beer is seriously alive from so much carbonation burst on the surface-it is dancing everywhere. The smell is grainy sweetness mixed with nothingness. The taste is, well, bland and very vapid. It is extremely sweet and grainy. It tastes pretty much like every other macro lager in the United States. The MF is also basically the same as every other macro lager-it is very thin and very carbonated.

This is an average example of a macro lager. It is extremely cheap at $11.25 a case. I found out that my now ex-girlfriend is a dirty lying bitch and I am really poor so I bought a case of this the other night. I was forced to drink garbage. It got me drunk, didn't take away any of my problems, and made me feel like hell the next day. But when you drink all but a handful of the whole case in one sitting, any beer is bound to do that to you. For the price, Natty isn't to shabby. (1,095 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -33%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Natty Ice, or as I like to call it: Natural Eisbock. Sounds much better that way. The disdain of many a college student's Friday and Saturday nights, this beer typically brings nothing but trouble. Usually enjoyed straight from the can or out of a red solo cup; best paired with unprotected sex and various other bad life choices.

More pale than Kristen Stewart with less head than Ichabod. See what I did there? Natty Ice has got me doing crazy things again. Noses were a part of evolution so that when humans smelled something like this, they would be sure not to consume it. Grains, steel, booze (it's only 5.9% ABV... wut). Hops are mildew-ish and musty. But maybe this beer is just old. Who knows.

Take a sip of this shit and try not to flair your nostrils, scrunch your eyebrows, or grimace. It's very hard. Unless you're already about 8 or 9 deep, in which case they'll be flowing like a river at that point. Muted sweet malts, faint graininess, old musky hops, and a stale, metallic astringency in the finish. Crisp and dry, thinner than my bank account.

Why am I wasting my time with this beer. I'm not in college anymore. I have a job. I have a REAL job where I make REAL money and I have a fridge full of decent-to-excellent craft beer. I'm not standing in front of a table of strategically placed plastic cups and there are no Greek letters anywhere around me. Even for "magro lagers", there are much better choices than this swill. (1,447 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +44.7%

This beer has continued to be my favorite throughout the years. It's one of the cheapest beers I can think of, being $14 for a 30 can case and it continues to get better and better. Yes, the taste isn't extremely lovable but once you get through it, they continue to get better and better, by the third one, it tastes delicious. To me, the taste is somewhat similar to maybe a bud ice or budweiser, though the only discourse I have is about the 153 calories that are found in the 5.9& Natural Ice. This is while Natural Ice with a 4.2% is a less calorie intake beer though takes a bit longer to dirnk. (601 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +94%

I love Natural Ice Beer! I like how it does not have a watered down taste to it. The beer has a bite to it. I also like how strong it is compared to other beers in the same price range which is another reason I love this beer. It is cheap! I don't think a beer has to cost a lot to be a great beer. It seems to have a bad rep around where i live, but I love it! (361 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

For the sake of experimentation, I'm holding a little tasting of beers I happened to have but would never purchase myself. This is the second.

"Natty Ice," as it's commonly known, is paler than straw yellow. It's extremely fizzy and bubbly, able to form a head almost a finger tall before it immediately dies away, though a little foamy patch struggles to stay alive. Very small spots of lacing can be seen scattered on the glass.
It smells like corn husk and apple skins primarily. There's a mild astringent alcohol whiff as well.
The taste is about the same, with a bit more corn husk and some rice coming out in the finish. Alcohol is barely noticeable as a flavor but warms quite a bit. Bland, of course, but considering what it is, probably average. Being such a terrible style, though, "average" is still low.
The feel is extremely light, as expected, with an unyielding but not terribly spritzy crispness. There's not much else to it. (942 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -3.3%

The smell is much better than the taste. Sweetness and hops are present here, but the beer taste fades and you taste alcohol at the end of the sip. I didn't expect to taste much alcohol at 5.9 ABV, buts its very much there. If you want to drink a beer that tastes like it has a shot of cheap vodka in it, get Natural Ice. (321 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -12.6%

I do not particularly like a head on my beer, and I was able to pure the contents of the can down the side of the glass with practically no head at all. Very light in color. Very, very light in taste... closer to water than beer. I did not notice much of a buzz. (262 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Super pale in color, a very light straw color. There was a lot of head initially that faded quickly.
The aroma is very faint, probably a good thing, but mild corn is barely there.
The flavors smell like years old hops, corn husks, paper, alcohol is noticable which is surprising since it is under 6%.
mouthfeel is a bit slimy and slick in texture.

Chug it bro! (361 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a pale golden yellow with a thin layer of fizzy white head that has decent retention. The nose is sweet, corny, grainy. The taste is sweet, corny, grainy, watery. The mouthfeel is crisp, very light, and ultra thin.

This is a foul beer. I'm not sure how we drank this by the keg in college. It's too sweet and grainy. There's no hop character. It's bland, one-dimensional, and thin. Pass. (394 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a 24oz can into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: pale yellowy hue which is almost fluorescent in nature. Clear body with a nice effervescence, but the head poured less than a finger of frothy non-persistent foam. I mean, it's not terrible, but really?

Smell: light aroma with a bizarre fruitiness reminiscent of champagne, but somehow, not in a good way. That said, it is free of particularly offensive aromas. So ... yeah.

Taste: light, sweet malt with a plastic-tasting element which is not particularly pleasing. Eh.

Mouthfeel: watery and lightly fizzy; mostly insipid but there is a universe where I think something might be worse. Not good.

Overall: this is a beer which can be consumed without immediate esophageal consequences. Still, it lacks even the basic drinkability of a bad macro lager. Uff da. (821 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 24oz. can into a pint glass.

Be aware that I am reviewing this as compared to other macro adjunct lagers, and the rating does not reflect how it compares to craft beers.

A: Light straw yellow. Looks like a macro adjunct, maybe even a little sub par even for a macro. Finger or two of head will pop out and quickly disappear, like soda. Very clear with no sediment or cloudiness, so i guess it gets points for the nice filtered clarity.

S: This one has more of a scent than your standard adjunct, but not in a good way. Boiled corn, rice, malt liquor, vegetable rot. You may also be smelling some nasty rot-gut beer farts from this one. It's famous for that.

T: Again, a bit stronger taste than the standard macro, but not in a good way. Boiled corn and rice rot, alcohol, an attempt at some low quality malts and hops, mildly offensive, but not enough to make it undrinkable. Tastes like bottom of the barrel Budweiser sediment.

M: Soda. Very light bodied, nothing to like, nothing to really complain about. Drink a Sprite and that's essentially the same mouth feel.

O: Ahhh... Natty Ice (which we in turn changed to "Nasty Ice"). Our go-to for getting super drunk for super cheap in college. I drank A LOT of this stuff years ago with friends, so it definitely has drinkability. Was it a pleasure to drink? Let's put it this way - we always would have rather had Bud Light or Bud Ice, but when the budget only allowed for some Nasty Ice, that's what we went for every time. It's not horrible, especially after it hits your head with the high ABV, but putting ourselves through getting to that point wasn't exactly a joy ride, especially if it gets warm.

If it's super cold (like near freezing), and you absolutely must get as drunk as possible with as little money as possible, go for some Nasty Ice, it'll get the job done and it's tolerable. (1,865 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -10.2%

I will admit it, I am biased against Ice beers.
I do not see the value in them unless you want to get drunk fast. And getting drunk is not the reason I drink beer.

Natural Ice is a below average American Lager.
Serve it cold and it is drinkable, but this is a beer that should be avoided. (292 characters)

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch