Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,265 | Reviews: 330
2.7/5  rDev +55.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

40 ounce bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - :Poured a light yellow/straw color with a big head with no retention.

S - Very neutral with some adjunct smell. No hop note.

T - Again, very light with little hint of anything other than grains and particularly rice. Just a hint of alcohol in the finish.

M - Very thin with decent enough carbonation.

O - If I didn't collect 40 ounce bottles as part of my breweriana collection I probably would pass on this. This is a cheap beer with a sole purpose of introducing alcohol into the body. If this stuff get warm (over about 40F) it becomes intolerable so don't buy a big container unless you are going to share of put it back in the refrigerator between pours.

Where can it be found so cheap? This isn't much for me as it is for my step-father who's disabled and likes natural ice. Any tips or tricks on cheaper is great for his purpose. I like it as well since it does the job for the low buck vs. most. Thanks

3.5/5  rDev +101.1%

I have got to give this beer a 3.5 out of 5, its not the best beer but its a damn good beer for your buck. $13.99 before taxes for a 30 pack. To me it tastes pretty good, got a good color and a pleasing smell and taste for your typical american adjunct lager. So yeah at 5.9% abv ice beer, i would roll with this and I am usually a Icehouse fan!

4.06/5  rDev +133.3%

I have to say, when I first drank this beer it tasted great. I think it has been downgraded in quality and now tastes not so good. Once was good now sucks. I think that batches differ considerably, compounded by freshness variables. LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE it gets cheaped out after initial success..

1.73/5  rDev -0.6%

One can really tell that natural light is an anheuser busch product. I love the taste of coors or miller (I love beer in general even budweiser is ok) but im young and havent tried any craft beers, my experience is limited to domestic beers, soon to change.
Anyways on to the review. The beer poured nice and half of it was head in the glass, smelled sort of like beer but then you take a sip and your let down.
Really this beer is only good for getting a buzz quick it tastes like watered down to the max, id venture to say it might be worse than budlight in taste and I never thought I would say that about a beer.
This was not what I wanted to buy but the store did not have what I wanted so I figures I would try natty ice. Yes I would say its worse than bud light and thats pretty bad, you cant taste any alcohol so I suppose it would be ok for chugging but I like to have a nice tasting beer not water beer, and while coors or miller are certainly not craft beer they do taste like beer.

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and some light golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy bright white head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of corn adjuncts over the top of light aromas of slightly sweet grainy malts. There is a very light presence of grassy hops as well.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of slightly sweet grain malts with moderate flavors of corn adjuncts. There is a light amount of grassy hop flavors which impart a light amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: This beer is certainly much better served ice cold - it definitely does not get better as it comes up to room temperature. Certainly not offensive but definitely nothing special either - I think I remember this beer as being much worse from my college days.

1.9/5  rDev +9.2%

This was another one that i feared was in a keg at any college party I went to. It is light amber and it doesn't have a lot of taste. the taste it does have is a sweaty taste. It also goes down pretty rough so it's not even as smooth as water. It is a cheap beer so how much can you expect right?

2.82/5  rDev +62.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. can purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

Is this beer ever intended to be served in a glass? In any case, the pour yielded a crystal clear, bright golden yellow body that was topped by a two-finger tall, tight, creamy, bone white head. Steaks of lacing trickled down the glass. The head eventually faded to a lasting ring. Pretty impressive thus far.

The aroma was dominated by super dry, powdery, yeasty notes. It was so powdery that I felt like I was going to sneeze every time I inhaled. Somewhat grainy. Not bad, but really simplistic. With time, some generic sweet notes came forth. Lots of adjuncts as well.

Adjunct notes were really apparent in the flavor profile. Slightly sweet on the front end. Super husky, grainy malts were also noticeable. The finish was dry and moderately bitter. As the beer warmed, tart wheaty and lemony notes took over. The beer was exceedingly crisp and surprisingly refreshing. Best of all, the 5.9% ABV was nowhere to be found.

The mouthfeel was exceptionally light and airy and contained a spritzy, aggressive carbonation.

When one thinks of modern day so-called "ice" beers, images of frat boys, beer pong and toga parties likely come to mind. Surprisingly, this beer was pretty decent and not much different from "premium" American adjunct lagers. If you are hard up for cash and looking to get drunk, there are definitely worse options out there.

4.9/5  rDev +181.6%

OK!
So you think I`m crazy for rating this perfect?
Well I`m NOT - buy a big-ass Criscraft Constellation beautiful mahogany boat and invite tons of strippers out in it every weekend, this beer is LOVED by slutty bitches cause they can`t even taste the "beer" and they get sooo smashed before they know it, you got naked strippers everywhere and pussy wanting to be eaten all over your face! (and all over each others face).
Just take that shit "belowdeck" on the 4th of July cause the Coastguard can be rough on you after families complain that their kids want to breastfeed again for some reason at age 15!!!
This shit will get you soooo fucked up - after the first few - who cares about the water taste?
As a matter of fact serve it ice cold in generic water bottles - works great for "hard" working strippers who need "refreshments".
I LOVE THIS BEER!!!
It always brings back NO memories! ha!
*Oh just to add to this - this beer maybe substituted by ICEHOUSE beer at anytime for the same effect!

2.69/5  rDev +54.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

This beer was not too good but here's the thing, if you're looking for cheap beer that doesn't go down bad, Natural ice is the beer for you. I feel like this is the type of beer that people drink more for the effect and less for the over all experience. For me its 50/50 on a day that I feel like cutting lose, but I can't really see myself drinking this beer for a long time.

3.5/5  rDev +101.1%

This beer taste malty then carbonated. Not a strong taste but balanced. Best beer for your money 13.99 a 30 pack here. I'm satisfied and would recommend. Seems like the flavor has changed since inbev and anhueser merged. I drink this in the can clean taste no metallic taste. Light mouth fill and light taste.

2.66/5  rDev +52.9%

Fruity, mostly banana-like esters, dominate the nose. Kinda reminds me of banana Runts candy with the sweet sugariness also. Not much in the way of malt and no hops to speak of. I get a bit of Circus Peanuts as it warms. The flavor is even more boring than the nose. The banana-like thing is here also, but the sweetness up front is almost immediately drowned out by a watery impression. Super short on the finish because there's not much flavor to begin with. It's mostly a carbonic and watery.

Overall, this brew is remarkably flavorless for the near 6% ABV. The carbonation is probably much to blame as you can almost feel it “scrubbing” the flavor off your tongue as you drink it. Over-carbonated “Light beer” type of feel.

1.66/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

The only beer I use to make a Brass Monkey. Of course those were in my college days, so goodbye nostalgia.

1.31/5  rDev -24.7%

This beer is horrible. Tastes like battery acid. I had this and a miller lite side by side. The miller was miles better than this. This is the worst of the cheap beers, and one can also assume that means it is the worst beer on the market, which it is. Horrible beer which only is sold for high school and college partys. Rest assured though this beer does its job: to get people drunk and laid.

2.22/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance- The beer pours a straw color with a big billowy white head that fades very rapidly. After the head fades the brew leaves almost no lace on the side of the glass.

Smell- The aroma is heaviest of corn and a little bit of a caramel malt. Mixed with these is a light alcohol aroma as well.

Taste – The taste starts out rather sweet of corn and caramel with a little bit of a bready backbone. As the taste advances it brings a mild flavor of cardboard to the tongue which grows even stronger as the brew warms over time. With the cardboard taste, so too comes some notes of caramel, which help balance them out slightly. In the end an overall sweet corn slightly off, yet still crisp flavor is left to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The mouthfeel is on the medium side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is on the average to slightly above average side. Not bad for the style as it still maintains good drinkability, but a slightly thinner body and higher carbonation may have matched the flavor profile a bit better.

Overall – Rather average adjunct lager. Nothing to offensive but nothing too great- it gets the job done.

2.51/5  rDev +44.3%

12-oz can into weizen glass

A - 1 finger of pure white bubbly head atop a crystal-clear body of straw yellow; moderate amount of rising carbonation

S - corny grain smell, alcohol; not much to it

T - adjunct grains and alcohol; alcohol warms the finish

M - light body, high amount of fizzy carbonation, quite refreshing

O - It's an adjunct lager--you know what you're getting. Nothing special, just a fizzy beer with a low price tag and a decent bang in the alcohol department. Not a great brew, but sure hits the spot after a few hours of yard work.

3.01/5  rDev +73%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can into pint glass,One finger head,minimized to a toothpick head within seconds, toothpick head stays throughout. Minimal lacing,but its there. Sweet,corn,malt,describe the smell.The taste is close to the same. Very drinkable. Crisp and clean finish,and a good buzz quickly established. I really think that for the money you can not find a better beer I have spent over $30 for a 12 pack for beer before, and was not impressed. Natural Ice=Impressed

1.5/5  rDev -13.8%

ohhh natural ice. had it last night (sigh), our friend got the wrong stuff. The first one wasn't THAT bad, then the 2nd and 3rd were just terrible. I couldn't even drink it, it tasted like skunked beer even though it was ice cold. we just threw the remaining dozen away cause it wasn't tolerable. I feel for anyone who has to consume this.

3.31/5  rDev +90.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This always the cheapest beer in the market here in Southern California. I decide to try it out.

Appearance: Light yellow. head fades away quick.. Standard for the style.

Smells: Smelss like lager beer,.

Taste : . Like A bit of adjunct, bit sweet, even a lbig tinge of hops at the end . It is watered down, though. Real it is beer for geting buzz.

Moutful: Watery. It essentially feels like fizzy water.

Overall:. Drank this beer ice cold , it will not taste bad. I would choose this over Miller High Life, Bud Lite, and coors lite. If I was on budget or for beer pong or dranking game buy it . For cheap beer it is good!

2.15/5  rDev +23.6%

appearance isnt that great, to dark for a pilsner in my opinion, smell is averege I suppose, taste isnt that great, very metallic, smooth, but I have to force it down, mouthfeel is alright I suppose. But overall this isnt a good beer, even for the price, I would take Icehouse over this anyday of the week, I used to like it, but now that I've had a variety of beers I think this one is rather overated.

1.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Poured this American Adjunct Lager from a 22 oz can into a pint glass. Poured a pale straw color, produced an average head, retention was poor and it left no lacing on the glass. The aroma was very clean, perhaps some malt and rice. Light in body, this lager has a foundation of corn and rice....all adjuncts here....not much of any malt flavor to speak of- only a small helping of hops. Overall, a poorly made beer. Keep your 1.25 and put a down payment on a real beer.

2.18/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I've had a can of this sitting in my basement fridge for god knows how long now, probably about 2 years or so now. Can't even remember how a can of this managed to get into my basement fridge in the first place. So I figured what the hell, it was finally time to drink and review. Poured into my pint glass, this beer pours a clear light to medium golden color with an initially very tall white foamy head that settled extremely quickly to a decently thick white head lining the inside of the glass with little clusters of foam lining the inside of the glass. Little bits of lacing lining the inside of the glass here and there, but nothing that good lace wise. Faint, sweet grassy aromas of some malt and corn are present and not much of, if anything, else. Sweet and grassy flavors of malt and corn and once again not much of if anything else here flavorwise. No hops discernible to my palate. Has a crisp and fairly smooth, light to medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Goes down easy and smooth and has a clean finish. Easy to drink in the way seltzer water is, not the way beer should be. For this style of beer and as far as Anheuser Busch products go this one really isn't that bad. It didn't have any of the terrible adjunct off flavors or metallic aftertastes that many of their other products, as well as other companies' macro brews, have. Perhaps the 2 years of "aging" it got sitting in my fridge for 2 years actually improved this beer because I was certainly expecting it to taste worse.

Eric

3.18/5  rDev +82.8%

Big head at first then dies quickly. Very nice on the sides of the tongue and then finishes with a good mouthfeel. The alcohol creeps up on you very quickly and then, BAM, you are on your ass! Whoa! Ate pretzels and sardines in mustard sauce to keep the buzz in check. Finally finished with 2 more and went to bed.

1.95/5  rDev +12.1%

From a 12 oz can into a glass.

A- Pale yellow. A finger amount of head that quickly fizzles away to a little ring. The tiniest amount of lacing.

S- Alcohol, corn, some grains. In that order.

T- It tastes like seltzer water and corn with some alcohol. But the "taste" goes away once swallowed.

M- Extremely light mouthfeel. Very clean and crisp. Good amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is an ok beer when it's a hot day out. It's refreshing, but you can really taste the alcohol in it in the initial few sips.

This is bad. Pours the color of urine after an evening drinking BCBS. Smells like vodka. In my years as a server of cheap beer, I served enough of this to fill the building that you're stitting in. Everytime I made the mistake of drinking it I vomited.

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch