Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev +77%

24oz super can, one of those last minute, last gas-up purchases ($1.50 is good for getting rid of excess change) before crossing the border home, into the Great White North. Very NHL-marketing reminiscent can label.

Natty Ice pours a crystal clear, pale golden colour, with a ton of columnar thin puffy bone-white head, which settles at an even pace, leaving some decent curtain lace around the glass as it does so. It smells of corny malt, and skanky, weedy hops. The taste is also unsurprisingly corny, with a somewhat innocuously fruity malt, and minimal skunky, earthy, dead grassy hops. The carbonation is fairly average, the body on the light side, but buoyed by a sugar and booze swell, smoothness somehow extracting itself from this situation. It finishes off-dry in the good ol' cheap-ass malt likka wannabe sense, bastardized sugar and nothing much else.

Another instance of form over substance - cheap, plentiful, and not all that offensive - if I didn't know any better, I'd be drinking this like water, which I'm sure actually happens all the time. Really, this is pretty innocuous, and not even that saccharine, so much so that I don't even rue the pocket change expended. It is what it is, and for that, I cannot truly find fault.

09-18-2011 01:16:00 | More by biboergosum
IPhantom

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev +83.9%

This is my single favorite dirt-cheap, high-alcohol beer, and that will never change. Take it for what it is: it's cost-effective, it's scary enough to form a brotherhood, and it's bound to make a tailgate more interesting. I take great pride that I have such a diverse palette that I've stuck my nose into some truly great beers, but I'll still be able to sit around a campfire or a Coleman popup grill, guzzle a Nat, and be totally happy.

On to my clearly unbiased review...Appearance is a crapshoot. I've only ever had a Nat NOT out of a can one or twice, when a State College bar had $1.50 pints. I call it average because I imagine it's fizzy and yellow. Likewise with the smell. Never really bothered with it, but I would guess it's malty, to the grassy side, and laden with fusel smells. The taste, let's be honest, we've all had worse. The point is to get that first one down and then go to town. Mouthfeel, on the other hand, I would actually say is good. It's well-carbonated, and somewhat refreshing after those first few swigs. After a while, the fusel notes provide a bite that leaves you wanting another taste.

Again, take it for what it is: the best of a bad bunch. Cough up your $6, turn off your palette for a second, turn your hat backward, put on a movie that makes you laugh, and enjoy.

09-17-2011 00:02:57 | More by IPhantom
theRooster90

Indiana

2.95/5  rDev +69.5%

Drank this beer a lot through college and usually was satisfied just because I knew I paid very little and got a pretty good punch of alcohol. Being on a budge should be the only reason to buy this beer, otherwise go for something else. Taste is not too pleasant in the beginning but after a few back to back you will soon think it's water and slam one after the other.

08-30-2011 19:50:05 | More by theRooster90
dakeynr

OK, my ratings are perfect 3.0 - perfectly average. It's not great. And it's not awful. The price is right. About the only thing about this one is the abv at 5.9, so it fills a market niche that A-B wants a part of.
It's a pale lager. The mouth feel is thin to me, and poured into a wine glass, the head quickly dissipated.
I can't find a lot of fault with these mass-market domestics...someone must be drinking them, or they wouldn't be on the shelf at my 6-pack shop.
I'm drinking it now and I'm finishing up a 16-ounce...and it's getting a little warm...so it's not finishing as good as it started: this one should be ice cold!
But after a few of these, at 6% abv, you probably won't care too much.
An average beer, but probably not what you'd wanna pick for a session beer, unless you're in a fraternity!
Finally, I just cracked open a fresh can, and I just think this one tastes better that way: straight outta the can.

08-27-2011 23:01:13 | More by dakeynr
DrainBamage

2.42/5  rDev +39.1%

Pours a nice golden color with thick head the thins to a lace. Smells like standard corn adjunct beer. Goes down smooth, but only because there is very little carbonation and no hops. A little extra alcohol notes as standard of and ice beer. Nothing special here, but definitely no the worse thing out there either.

08-25-2011 02:41:56 | More by DrainBamage
VelvetExtract

1.7/5  rDev -2.3%

A-A bit darker than Natty Light. Aside from the darker color, the physical characteristics are quite the same.

S-Sickly sweet Macro smell. I can tell how unpleasant this will likely be on my tongue. Booze is evident too.

T-Very unacceptable. I remember this being one of the first beers I have ever had, and I was happy that it was a higher abv, therefore I disregarded the awful flavor. Just makes me want to grind my teeth againt my tongue to scrape off the flavor.

M-Medium bodied with a lingering sugary slickness. Begs for a sip of water after.

O/D-One of the worst I have had. Even some malt liquors taste better.

08-24-2011 03:31:42 | More by VelvetExtract
olimpia84

1.35/5  rDev -22.4%

Natural Ice, mostly known as "Natty Ice" is one of the preferred beers for college parties because of its price.
The appearance is a transparent piss yellow color with little to no head at all. Smell is typical of the cheap beer type with hints of corn.
The taste is metallic carbonated water with small hints of corn and low alcohol feel.

Overall, avoid this beer if you can although if you are a college student you will very likely end up having these at parties.

08-14-2011 17:32:00 | More by olimpia84
Jerone

1.78/5  rDev +2.3%

Straw colored with lots of bubbles, no head. Smell is of corn/grain and metal. Taste would be fine, but I hate the metallic flavor that it has. Mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation. Ice beers are not one of my favorites, but this one might be better than bud ice.

08-10-2011 15:07:59 | More by Jerone
ktrillionaire

2.5/5  rDev +43.7%

Natty Ice, as the young'ns call it, pours a fizzy pale straw hue and has a decent swath of froth that deposits an IPA-level of lace upon the glass wall; looks quite good for the style. The aroma is not terrific, certainly, but neither is it horrid; it is mostly corn and husky grain. The flavor is a bit nicer; it suggests nothing more distinct than 'beery', but it is pretty good for just 'beery'. This is a better-than-average AAL, overall.

Edit: an hour or so later, it is not sitting well. Overall, I will avoid this in the future.`

08-02-2011 02:39:22 | More by ktrillionaire
Lauthaha

2.4/5  rDev +37.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a tulip glass. Why bother?

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear rich golden color. Little carbonation. Head is white and fizzy, and recedes to a moderate topping on the surface.

Smell: Hay, corn. Urine. Much like a barn.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A touch on the sour side. Not a lot of carbonation. Beer is somewhat sharp despite the lack of any real flavor. Stale popcorn, maybe. Aftertaste is nearly non-existent.

Overall: Much like most other AALs, it's not a great tasting brew...but it's Natty Ice.

06-29-2011 02:00:21 | More by Lauthaha
JoLight

Georgia

3.65/5  rDev +109.8%

The color is a yellow-gold. Some carbonation is present. the head sticks around a bit.

It smells grainy, sweet, bready, and clean.

The taste is grainy, smooth, a smidge of sweetness, lightly bitter, a bubblegum sweetness.

I like Natty Ice. I know that's an unpopular opinion, but among the cheaper beers, I rate this at the top.

06-14-2011 04:25:34 | More by JoLight
CaptainInsaneO

1.73/5  rDev -0.6%

A: It's yellow, kind of. If the head sticks around, that's a bad thing because you'll taste it more while you're drinking.

S: It doesn't really smell like anything. Give it a whiff and you'll probably pick up some Axe body spray and sweaty lacrosse bros, but that has more to do with present company. Don't try to smell this beer; it'll only prolong the experience.

T: Easy enough to ignore. Carbonated beer/water. Put in a funnel and get drunk.

M: Like seltzer water, drink it before you can feel anything, and drink it until you can't feel anything. That's usually the drill with natty

O: Get drunk

06-05-2011 04:31:02 | More by CaptainInsaneO
comfortablynumb1

2.3/5  rDev +32.2%

Poured from a 24ozer into a Inland Empire Brewing pint glass...

A - Pours piss yellow with a two finger froth head. The head pulls a David Copperfield vanishing act. Poof... And it's gone...

S - Alcohol and corn pretty much sums this up best. Alcohol and corn...

T - Grain and corn. Alcohol is farily well hidden...

M - Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation...

O - Not something that I save for a special occasion, but definitely something that I drink from time to time. I mean what says sophistication more than drinking a Natty Ice 24, out of the can, at a social gathering?

Cheers...

05-29-2011 00:55:38 | More by comfortablynumb1
9InchNails

2.08/5  rDev +19.5%

Light golden pale body. A fluffy white head dissipates quickly. It doesn't look too carbonated, surprisingly, not too many bubbles.

Cereal grain and apples, that's about it. Very cheap and weak macro smell.

Grain, I get apple, a dry taste, buscuits, slight booze and thats about it.

Medium carbonation, light body and a dry taste.

This is cheap beer to mess you up. This is meant for mass consumption so you can forget how lame the taste was prior to the last one you just had.

05-17-2011 08:24:10 | More by 9InchNails
RyanBelle

Ontario (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev +69.5%

Not a bad beer overall. At 6%, it tastes like 5% and it's probably best drinking it while cutting the grass. Pretty mellow, carbonated taste. I picked up a 12 pack for 10 bucks in Arkansas. I like the flavors that it has...nothin overly done but flavorful enough to keep me interested. Mouthfeel is a little fluffy, not as solid as I would have liked but that's about all I can complain about. Will buy again.

04-27-2011 04:47:36 | More by RyanBelle
OhYesILoveBeer

Georgia

Natty ICE, 12oz bottle into pint. Pours light straw, 1/2" white head with no retention. Smells of corn husk, some sort of steamed veg-all, and alcohol. Taste matchs the nose quite well, steamed veggies, corn, and a sweet residual malt character. I'm actually happy to say that a friend that works for AB gave me seven cases, which a few have a couple broken bottles inside. I'll be putting them to good use when the temp reaches 100* here in this hell hole known as Georgia. Overall, this isnt a bad beer and I actually like it alot more than Bud ICE for some odd reason.

04-21-2011 19:33:59 | More by OhYesILoveBeer
Tundruth

New Hampshire

1.78/5  rDev +2.3%

Natural Ice pours out a pale yellow color with a white head that quickly dissapates.

Smell is pretty bad. Kind of metalic smelling with a overpowering corn smell and hints of malt.

Taste is not even really worth describing. Just a plain old bad, adjunct flavor with an astringent sweetness.

Easy to drink i guess, once you can get past the flavor or lack there of.

Good only if you're looking for something to get a lot of for dirt cheap. Not something I would ever go out of my way to try again.

04-19-2011 00:56:27 | More by Tundruth
FrankWBurnsIII

2.38/5  rDev +36.8%

Not as rough as its Natural Light brother, but is definitely an economy brand based on taste and price.

Natty Ice is a brand I would buy over the Light version in college because of the increased alcohol content. Given the average college drinker prefers some effect from their beer, it made sense to go for the style that delievered on that feature the most with respect to its price.

The taste can be ok sometimes. I always felt like some batches tasted better than others, and in comparison to higher priced AB brands it sometimes gave them a run for their money.

04-14-2011 15:40:48 | More by FrankWBurnsIII
Knapp85

1.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Friend of mine tossed me one of these during Super Bowl XLIV. Wanted to toss it right back but instead I cracked open the can and gave it a whack. Very light on flavor, it wasn't anything to write home about. Half way through I started getting a headache. Not sure if it was from the beer or not, I just found it ironic. I'm happy I at least tried this brew. But I never have to have this again.

03-20-2011 18:58:25 | More by Knapp85
orangesol

1.7/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours pale yellow with a small one finger tall white head leaving light lacing down the glass.

S - Corn, faint alcohol, and a touch of hops and malt.

T - Very similar to the nose with plenty of adjuncts mixed in. Little to no hops, malt, barley, whatever, in this one.

M - Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Light, thin, watery, and fizzy about sums it up.

D - The go to party beer in college. Dirt cheap with a pretty terrible taste. Glad I don't drink this too often anymore.

03-03-2011 17:17:31 | More by orangesol
Avagadro

1.58/5  rDev -9.2%

A: Piss yellow, little lacing, no head, not appetizing.

S: Cabbage, apples, corn.

T: More of the same. A touch of diesel also taints things.

M: Light, Fizzy, Uninteresting.

D: About as flavorful as WonderBread. This isn't doing anything for me. This is the worst brew offered by a brewer that goes out of its way to crush the micro-brew revolution. Avoid...

02-24-2011 04:17:13 | More by Avagadro
madvermin

1.02/5  rDev -41.4%

Completely crystal clear, with a tinge of yellow. Not to be elitist, but this looks EXACTLY like urine after keeping oneself fairly hydrated throughout the day.

Smells of corn and artificial sweetener, not unlike pepsi max or diet coke. Slight phenolic smell that goes away just before it becomes pleasant.

Phenolic taste with a little bit of grain followed by a stomach sickening feeling that hits the stomach unlike anything I have had in a long while (aka this exact beer). Whatever taste exists is gone before you even get a chance to swallow the first sip. Watery and thin.

This is not the worst mouthfeel ever, except I just got a little particle lodged in my teeth which came directly from this can of beer. I know they aren't the same style, but after having TREAT by Midnight Sun, I don't know what the hell I am doing having this beer. I have class in the morning. This tastes like really weak cough syrup - which removes the whole point of having anything that tastes like cough syrup. I LIKE cough syrup, yet this one can't pull it off which is frustrating to say the least.

02-09-2011 09:37:30 | More by madvermin
ZenAgnostic

1.43/5  rDev -17.8%

This is by far the worst beer I have tasted in my life.

A - The design on the can itself looks extremely cheap and manufactured. No creativity, no class. Since it's unlikely you'll find anyone drinking this in anything but an aluminum can, I won't bother pouring it into a glass. Straight from the can like Anheuser-Busch intended.

S - The "beer" smells stale and sweet.

T - Stale, metallic goat piss. No offense to goats.

Unless you hate your taste buds, you're going to want to bring the temperature to just above freezing temperature. Drinking this anywhere near room temperature will induce gagging.

M - I'm kind of paranoid that this is actual goat piss now, so it's starting to feel like goat piss in my mouth. There's a very acidic burn in my mouth, but that might be due to my gag reflex.

D - No drinkability whatsoever. If you want a hangover (before you even fall asleep) and diarrhea, this is your medicine of choice.

There are no redeeming qualities here except for rock bottom price to get drunk on the cheap.

02-05-2011 14:58:51 | More by ZenAgnostic
Halcyondays

Tallboy can,

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a mild fizzy soapy white head, fair retention, no lace.

S: Mild adjunct, booze notes.

T: Very mild flavour, pretty much Natty Light with a hint of ethanol.

M: Light-bodied, crisp carbonation, has some structure to it, even if it is watery.

D: One of the mildest macro ice beers out there. If you want to get drunk without flavour go here.

01-26-2011 03:16:15 | More by Halcyondays
Bendurgin

Maine

2.45/5  rDev +40.8%

My room mate filled my taster of this gem the other night. What a guy! Reviewed from notes. Really light clear yellow color with a transparent body with lively carbonation and no real head to speak of. Looks alright, but just kind of boring. Sweet bubble gum aroma. Corn. Overall this smells weak and kind of lame. I can't taste much, but this just isn't good. It's kind of sweet with dry grains to the pallet. Honestly, I've had more flavorful water. This is palletable, but not really pleasant. Simply put, this is light and over carbonated. Not interesting at all but I don't even really notice this one going down. Damn easy to drink.

01-24-2011 00:46:17 | More by Bendurgin