Natural Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natural Ice Alström Bros

3.26/5  rDev +87.4%

Drank straight from 24 oz. can. I've seen it before so it's not big deal. Looks the same as any other macro.

A: Light yellow. Very fizzy. Bit of head. Standard for the style.

S: Honestly doesn't smell like anything. Can pick up a bit of adjunct type stuff.

T: Not terribly offensive, actually. A bit of adjunct, bit sweet, even a little tinge of hops. Extremely watered down, though.

M: Watery. It essentially feels like fizzy water.

O: Gotta give this one some props. Most of these kinds of beers are really disgusting. This one isn't too offensive and is easily drinkable. I'd choose this over Miller Lite, Bud Lite, Icehouse, etc.

3.38/5  rDev +94.3%

As many here have stated, this is a great low-budget head-buzzer. And you can make a great, non-fishy Chelada with this: Get an insulated glass filled with ice cubes, sprinkle some salt on the cubes, some fine powdered black pepper, a squirt of lime juice, pour the beer to 3/4 of the glass, then add some cold tomato or V8 (only) juice. Swirl the glass to mix and enjoy!!

A: Plain, pale gold with pure white one-finger head.

S: What's to smell...plain, skunky, but acceptable for what it is.

T: See 'smell'...

MF: Watery, good carbonation.

O: I drink this when watching football and other TV. Fills in when I tire of my collection of crafts!! I often start a session with a good craft like Pliny, Sculpin or HopSlam, then switch over to NI to finish before eating dinner. I like this beer.

2.38/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is one of those reviews that you do based on the type of beer you are reviewing, not necessarily beer in general. This beer does what it is supposed to do, it'll get ya buzzed for dirt cheap while watching the game. I bought a 30 back for the price of a single bomber or other beers i've bought before. Lighter golden color with a small head. Smell is not impressive, smells like corn water. Taste isn't really as bad as one might expect. It is just as bad as any BMC, except it super cheap!. mouthfeel is watery but refreshing. Overall i have reviewed about 400 beers, some the best in the world, but sometimes when budgets are stretched you just gotta make do.

2.73/5  rDev +56.9%

A - Pours out clear light golden in color. Head is white and is gone in seconds. Lacing? Nope.

S - Not much smell even from my Duvel tulip. Getting some mild lemon, chemicals of some sort, and a faint corn sweetness.

T - Not bad. Sweet corn, a little metal, lemon and soft grains.
Could have been worse.

M - Light bodied. A bit rough with high carbonation. Just what I was expecting. Spot on for the style.

O - Eh. Not horrible I guess. Ill have not problem knocking back this 24oz can. Not my macro of choice but it was left in my refrigerator by a friend so I can't complain. Don't think I would be able to do more than one can though.

The can opened with no fizz at all but when it poured a massive 3" white head erupted, held about one minute, and then totally deflated rapidly. I suspect some alchemy at work there. Body is a clear straw yellow and it appears to have spent all it's bubbles on the head and now is flat. Smell is a weak sour grassiness and the taste is very watery with a little of the same. Ice water would have more appeal.

2.44/5  rDev +40.2%

Poured from 24 oz BIG BOY can, to a pint glass

"Ice Brewed For A Naturally Smooth Taste" - ye betcher ass!

Well, it pours a pale straw, malt liquor looking beer, with a giant lose bubbled head that thins to a lace. Has the look of diet apple juice. Smells grainy, sweet boiled corn. Very bland taste, sweet corn, and grains, faint hops, grass. Light on the feel, goes down fast. This is just an average AAL, thats iced brewed. for a buck fifty you cant go wrong.

3.08/5  rDev +77%

24oz super can, one of those last minute, last gas-up purchases ($1.50 is good for getting rid of excess change) before crossing the border home, into the Great White North. Very NHL-marketing reminiscent can label.

Natty Ice pours a crystal clear, pale golden colour, with a ton of columnar thin puffy bone-white head, which settles at an even pace, leaving some decent curtain lace around the glass as it does so. It smells of corny malt, and skanky, weedy hops. The taste is also unsurprisingly corny, with a somewhat innocuously fruity malt, and minimal skunky, earthy, dead grassy hops. The carbonation is fairly average, the body on the light side, but buoyed by a sugar and booze swell, smoothness somehow extracting itself from this situation. It finishes off-dry in the good ol' cheap-ass malt likka wannabe sense, bastardized sugar and nothing much else.

Another instance of form over substance - cheap, plentiful, and not all that offensive - if I didn't know any better, I'd be drinking this like water, which I'm sure actually happens all the time. Really, this is pretty innocuous, and not even that saccharine, so much so that I don't even rue the pocket change expended. It is what it is, and for that, I cannot truly find fault.

3.2/5  rDev +83.9%

This is my single favorite dirt-cheap, high-alcohol beer, and that will never change. Take it for what it is: it's cost-effective, it's scary enough to form a brotherhood, and it's bound to make a tailgate more interesting. I take great pride that I have such a diverse palette that I've stuck my nose into some truly great beers, but I'll still be able to sit around a campfire or a Coleman popup grill, guzzle a Nat, and be totally happy.

On to my clearly unbiased review...Appearance is a crapshoot. I've only ever had a Nat NOT out of a can one or twice, when a State College bar had $1.50 pints. I call it average because I imagine it's fizzy and yellow. Likewise with the smell. Never really bothered with it, but I would guess it's malty, to the grassy side, and laden with fusel smells. The taste, let's be honest, we've all had worse. The point is to get that first one down and then go to town. Mouthfeel, on the other hand, I would actually say is good. It's well-carbonated, and somewhat refreshing after those first few swigs. After a while, the fusel notes provide a bite that leaves you wanting another taste.

Again, take it for what it is: the best of a bad bunch. Cough up your $6, turn off your palette for a second, turn your hat backward, put on a movie that makes you laugh, and enjoy.

2.94/5  rDev +69%

Drank this beer a lot through college and usually was satisfied just because I knew I paid very little and got a pretty good punch of alcohol. Being on a budge should be the only reason to buy this beer, otherwise go for something else. Taste is not too pleasant in the beginning but after a few back to back you will soon think it's water and slam one after the other.

OK, my ratings are perfect 3.0 - perfectly average. It's not great. And it's not awful. The price is right. About the only thing about this one is the abv at 5.9, so it fills a market niche that A-B wants a part of.
It's a pale lager. The mouth feel is thin to me, and poured into a wine glass, the head quickly dissipated.
I can't find a lot of fault with these mass-market domestics...someone must be drinking them, or they wouldn't be on the shelf at my 6-pack shop.
I'm drinking it now and I'm finishing up a 16-ounce...and it's getting a little warm...so it's not finishing as good as it started: this one should be ice cold!
But after a few of these, at 6% abv, you probably won't care too much.
An average beer, but probably not what you'd wanna pick for a session beer, unless you're in a fraternity!
Finally, I just cracked open a fresh can, and I just think this one tastes better that way: straight outta the can.

2.44/5  rDev +40.2%

Pours a nice golden color with thick head the thins to a lace. Smells like standard corn adjunct beer. Goes down smooth, but only because there is very little carbonation and no hops. A little extra alcohol notes as standard of and ice beer. Nothing special here, but definitely no the worse thing out there either.

1.71/5  rDev -1.7%

A-A bit darker than Natty Light. Aside from the darker color, the physical characteristics are quite the same.

S-Sickly sweet Macro smell. I can tell how unpleasant this will likely be on my tongue. Booze is evident too.

T-Very unacceptable. I remember this being one of the first beers I have ever had, and I was happy that it was a higher abv, therefore I disregarded the awful flavor. Just makes me want to grind my teeth againt my tongue to scrape off the flavor.

M-Medium bodied with a lingering sugary slickness. Begs for a sip of water after.

O/D-One of the worst I have had. Even some malt liquors taste better.

1.35/5  rDev -22.4%

Natural Ice, mostly known as "Natty Ice" is one of the preferred beers for college parties because of its price.
The appearance is a transparent piss yellow color with little to no head at all. Smell is typical of the cheap beer type with hints of corn.
The taste is metallic carbonated water with small hints of corn and low alcohol feel.

Overall, avoid this beer if you can although if you are a college student you will very likely end up having these at parties.

1.8/5  rDev +3.4%

Straw colored with lots of bubbles, no head. Smell is of corn/grain and metal. Taste would be fine, but I hate the metallic flavor that it has. Mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation. Ice beers are not one of my favorites, but this one might be better than bud ice.

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch