King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.
Reviews by Doppelbockulus:

2.85/5  rDev +24.5%

he only thing I do like about King Cobra is the price. The price is very cheap, and you can usually get them for about 2 dollars. I think that King Cobra would only give me a good buzz if I drank on an empty stomach and I downed it fast. Other than that it didn't give me a good buzz. I didn't really like the taste of King Cobra beer. The taste is very watery. It's not a really bad taste like 211 but it lacks any flavor. (423 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +19.2%

The King Cobra title is quite appropriate as this malt liquor is leaner (not as sweetly malty as most) and meaner with a surprising touch of hops (light, but present nonetheless).
It pours a crystal clear golden body that's topped by a full and creamy bright white head. It drops shortly to a thin, creamy collar and some whispy surface foam but, surprisingly, it leaves some nice lace about the glass. The nose displays some lightly grainy and sweetish malt (obviously adjunct laden), a splash of alcohol, a touch of mild fruitiness (apple), some mild dimethyl sulfide (or is that just corn?), and some very low-key background hops. The body is light and it's crisp in the mouth. It's a far cry from the dull, semi-thick bodies that some of the sweeter malt liquors have! The flavor delivers a thin malt that's fairly well-balanced between a well-attenuated and only lightly sweet - but very basic - malt (read as adjunct!) and a subtle underlying bitterness. The alcohol is present, but not really intrusive; although you can feel it almost immediately in the throat. It finishes with a swatch of lingering corn-like malt and a wash of drying alcohol.
It's an interesting brew because it's fairly well done, yet it doesn't hit the mark. It's subdued enough that at first sip it seems almost like a regular beer, yet it quickly turns to show many of the negatives associated with the malt liquor style. It's a little bit more drinkable than some due to it's less sweet nature; yet it offers less character - an odd "Catch-22". Faced with a double-doored cooler full of malt liquors, I think I'd look for something else first. (1,629 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured from a 40oz bottle into.......who the fuck am I kidding, this is malt liquor god dammit and the only way to drink it is out of the bottle in a paper bag outside on a hot day

L: typical malt liquor. Piss gold in color. A bit of lacing.

S: lots of sweet corn and malt in the nose with a bit of solvent on there (alcohol). Undertones of wet cardboard.

T: after a few chugs (you are not allowed to sip this shit) I'm getting a bunch of corn/cereal malt sweetness. No hops to speak of except for balancing out the adjuncts. Finish is surprisingly clean with a bit of alcohol residue

M: finishes a tad dry and clean. Not too carbonated thankfully

Certainly not my pick if forced to choose a malt liquor. Id probably go with Olde English over this.

Side note: I rated this a 3/5 since we are rating this according to style. I never understood why some of the dopey BAs here review according to personal choice, not by style guidelines. Nobody has ever said malt liquor or adjunct lagers were brewed for full flavor. If the brewers were trying to make a tasty Munich Helles Lager and the result was King Cobra then yes, this would deserve a 1/5-- but that is not the case. The brewers set out to make a malt liquor and that's exactly what King Cobra is, so if anything a 3 out of 5 is a pretty harsh score. If you don't understand then just do yourself and everyone else a favor and read the BJCP style guidelines before reviewing (1,441 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -25.3%

Drink it

ass holes

(23 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +28.8%

My malt of choice, very drinkable. But as with malts definitely intended to get someone drunk over a great drink (112 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -20.1%

Drink the ol' four-oh down to the bottom of the neck & top the bottle off with a little Tropicana Orange Juice. Gently swirl & enjoy this wonderful poor man's Mimosa. Make Mike D proud & get your brass monkey on, son. If you ain't on that King Cobra grind, then you better get your head right or your wig split. (311 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -45.9%

2.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Presentation: 22 oz clear twist with a wide mouth, "Born On Date" on front label for freshness. This sample was not poured into a glass and was consumed out of the bottle, as any premium malt liquor should be.

Appearance: Pale yellow with a champagne like carbonation.

Smell: Cooked corn with a ghost like hint of grain.

Taste: Light bodied and effervescent with a evident cooked corn flavour throughout. Hop bitterness is unnoticeable ... malt character is minimal leaving hints of grain. A bit of an alcoholic punch is felt after a few gulps as it warms the chest. The finish has a modest grain with more cooked corn flavour yet is remarkably clean.

Notes: The name says it all and who they are marketing for. As for the quality? If you like to drink flavourless beer with a kick of alcohol this is for you. (821 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.5/5  rDev +52.8%

1.93/5  rDev -15.7%

Malt Liquors are generally horrible, but effective brews designed to get you drunk. King Cobra is easily among the most foul. It's a got a sickening corn sweetness which lasts only for a few seconds. Its right about this point where the King Cobra is unleashed upon your taste buds. You're instantly hit with a sourness and bitterness from the absolute worst hop flavor imaginable. It's like a used hop flavor mixed in with dirty tennis shoe. The entire experience is horrible, but luckily goes away quickly, much like the sweetness of the brew. This is a beverage which should ONLY be consumed if you are dirt poor and or are preparing for a new career as a bum. In either case though, you're better off spending a tad more money for a better malt liquor. (756 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -43.2%

Ugh. Why not, we're already trashed? Pours like bright yellow wizz. No nothing. Smell, like the brewery floor of a major. Seriously, go on a tour, you'll know what I'm talking about. Or go huff the underside of an alcoholic's couch cushions, this stuff is probably in there.

Taste, hey, there's something not entirely disgusting, dare I say, fruity aspect of some minimal yeast strain carries well with whatever adjunct they used, probably corn syrup.

I guess mouthfeel, drinkability wise, it doesn't get worse, once you get over those first few sips, you can make it thruogh the rest, begrudgingly. (601 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another malt liquor like you really need another one after Hurricane...appears a clear glden tone with a large white head leaves behind even lace but it dwindles quickly. Aroma has a slight metallic grainy note that has a sort of semi sweet alcohol corn and rice appeal to it and of course cooked veggies with a touch of fruity tart apple. Flavors collide to form a harsh metallic grainy offness on the palate wow this is rediculous has how bad it is but a mild sweet tone with evident alcohol and finishes with a very chemical edge to it, definitely will induce a headache drinking this stuff on the regular. Mouthfeel has high carbonation light bodied some stickiness to it all but c'mon another beer within the same damn style. Drinkability mass produced malt liquor beer you buy when your broke and don't care about taste...what more can be said this one sucks. (865 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -20.1%

First off, let me explain how I cam across this bottle. I used to drink 40's of this stuff when I was like 15. They cost about 89 cents a bottle. I thought I was cool. Now, 9 years later, I have a slightly different apreciation for beer. I told some friends of mine that I used to drink this stuff, and they thought that was very funny. The other day, I threw a party, and one of my friends bought me a 40 to be funny. I decided to review it for old times sake. So here goes.

This beer pours a very light straw colored yellow. It looks like water with a little food coloring to it. The head is white and lifeless. It fades very quick leaving no laces. The first thing I think of when I smell this stuff is rotting sewage. It smells like rotton corn and dirty water. I dont smell any hops. I dont smell any redeaming qualities at all. I am slightly scared to taste this stuff again. First taste isnt too bad. Not good by any means, but not as bad as I expected. It has a corn flavor. I guess that would be because it is made with corn. It is not hoppy at all. I detect absolutely no spicy flavor. Also, I cant taste any malty flavors. It tastes very much like everything that Anheuser-Busch makes. This beer is carbonated decently, I guess. It would, in my opinion, make an awfull session beer. I will probably never drink it again. It is low in alcohol, though, so to those that like Anheuser-Busch products, it might be a good session beer. I know I used to drink 4 or 5 40's in a night, much to my regrets in the morning. I would recomend staying away from this one. Stick to urine. It probably tastes better. (1,614 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -23.6%

2.28/5  rDev -0.4%

This is my first ever malt liquor; not something I ever wanted to try, but everything in its time and all that. Honestly, it was bad, but not as heinous as I was afraid it would be.

The color is pale, of course, golden-yellow. The head isn't much more than foam but is constant, and of course leaves very minimal tiny patches of the very thinnest lacing in maybe two spots.
The smell is corn husk, some alcohol and very mild grains. Perhaps a touch of something tart with a subtle sweetness.
Corn is most of the flavor with an alcohol kick. Underneath is a grains flavor and malts are very much subdued; hops are incredibly difficult to detect and there's an herbal funk as well here.
The body is light, though not as light as I'd have thought, bordering on medium. It's crisp and surprisingly smooth, with a carbonation that's almost overactive but manages to stay within bounds. I wouldn't call the mouthfeel good, but it almost is, and it is just above average.
Drinkability, on the other hand, is just on the wrong side of average. (1,036 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -3.9%

One of the more drinkable lagers in the malt liquor "beer for hobos" catagory. Looks a tad syrupy, but with an unusually light hue. Smells like alcohol a little more than I'd really like.

Tastes like liquid corn. Really not a whole lot to this one, as far as flavor. Still, the bare fact that it doesn't taste outright putrid is something to be proud of with a malt Liquor. Could be a lot worse. Basically, tastes like one of Anheuser-Busch's standard offerings, only with the alcohol jacked up. (498 characters)

King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch