King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.
to view more.
Ratings: 463 | Reviews: 176
Reviews by Luiz0930:
2.85/5  rDev +42.5%

he only thing I do like about King Cobra is the price. The price is very cheap, and you can usually get them for about 2 dollars. I think that King Cobra would only give me a good buzz if I drank on an empty stomach and I downed it fast. Other than that it didn't give me a good buzz. I didn't really like the taste of King Cobra beer. The taste is very watery. It's not a really bad taste like 211 but it lacks any flavor.

2.95/5  rDev +47.5%

My malt of choice, very drinkable. But as with malts definitely intended to get someone drunk over a great drink

1.83/5  rDev -8.5%

Drink the ol' four-oh down to the bottom of the neck & top the bottle off with a little Tropicana Orange Juice. Gently swirl & enjoy this wonderful poor man's Mimosa. Make Mike D proud & get your brass monkey on, son. If you ain't on that King Cobra grind, then you better get your head right or your wig split.

2.2/5  rDev +10%

Presentation: 22 oz clear twist with a wide mouth, "Born On Date" on front label for freshness. This sample was not poured into a glass and was consumed out of the bottle, as any premium malt liquor should be.

Appearance: Pale yellow with a champagne like carbonation.

Smell: Cooked corn with a ghost like hint of grain.

Taste: Light bodied and effervescent with a evident cooked corn flavour throughout. Hop bitterness is unnoticeable ... malt character is minimal leaving hints of grain. A bit of an alcoholic punch is felt after a few gulps as it warms the chest. The finish has a modest grain with more cooked corn flavour yet is remarkably clean.

Notes: The name says it all and who they are marketing for. As for the quality? If you like to drink flavourless beer with a kick of alcohol this is for you.

1.93/5  rDev -3.5%

Malt Liquors are generally horrible, but effective brews designed to get you drunk. King Cobra is easily among the most foul. It's a got a sickening corn sweetness which lasts only for a few seconds. Its right about this point where the King Cobra is unleashed upon your taste buds. You're instantly hit with a sourness and bitterness from the absolute worst hop flavor imaginable. It's like a used hop flavor mixed in with dirty tennis shoe. The entire experience is horrible, but luckily goes away quickly, much like the sweetness of the brew. This is a beverage which should ONLY be consumed if you are dirt poor and or are preparing for a new career as a bum. In either case though, you're better off spending a tad more money for a better malt liquor.

1.3/5  rDev -35%

Ugh. Why not, we're already trashed? Pours like bright yellow wizz. No nothing. Smell, like the brewery floor of a major. Seriously, go on a tour, you'll know what I'm talking about. Or go huff the underside of an alcoholic's couch cushions, this stuff is probably in there.

Taste, hey, there's something not entirely disgusting, dare I say, fruity aspect of some minimal yeast strain carries well with whatever adjunct they used, probably corn syrup.

I guess mouthfeel, drinkability wise, it doesn't get worse, once you get over those first few sips, you can make it thruogh the rest, begrudgingly.

1.5/5  rDev -25%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another malt liquor like you really need another one after Hurricane...appears a clear glden tone with a large white head leaves behind even lace but it dwindles quickly. Aroma has a slight metallic grainy note that has a sort of semi sweet alcohol corn and rice appeal to it and of course cooked veggies with a touch of fruity tart apple. Flavors collide to form a harsh metallic grainy offness on the palate wow this is rediculous has how bad it is but a mild sweet tone with evident alcohol and finishes with a very chemical edge to it, definitely will induce a headache drinking this stuff on the regular. Mouthfeel has high carbonation light bodied some stickiness to it all but c'mon another beer within the same damn style. Drinkability mass produced malt liquor beer you buy when your broke and don't care about taste...what more can be said this one sucks.

1.83/5  rDev -8.5%

First off, let me explain how I cam across this bottle. I used to drink 40's of this stuff when I was like 15. They cost about 89 cents a bottle. I thought I was cool. Now, 9 years later, I have a slightly different apreciation for beer. I told some friends of mine that I used to drink this stuff, and they thought that was very funny. The other day, I threw a party, and one of my friends bought me a 40 to be funny. I decided to review it for old times sake. So here goes.

This beer pours a very light straw colored yellow. It looks like water with a little food coloring to it. The head is white and lifeless. It fades very quick leaving no laces. The first thing I think of when I smell this stuff is rotting sewage. It smells like rotton corn and dirty water. I dont smell any hops. I dont smell any redeaming qualities at all. I am slightly scared to taste this stuff again. First taste isnt too bad. Not good by any means, but not as bad as I expected. It has a corn flavor. I guess that would be because it is made with corn. It is not hoppy at all. I detect absolutely no spicy flavor. Also, I cant taste any malty flavors. It tastes very much like everything that Anheuser-Busch makes. This beer is carbonated decently, I guess. It would, in my opinion, make an awfull session beer. I will probably never drink it again. It is low in alcohol, though, so to those that like Anheuser-Busch products, it might be a good session beer. I know I used to drink 4 or 5 40's in a night, much to my regrets in the morning. I would recomend staying away from this one. Stick to urine. It probably tastes better.

2.28/5  rDev +14%

This is my first ever malt liquor; not something I ever wanted to try, but everything in its time and all that. Honestly, it was bad, but not as heinous as I was afraid it would be.

The color is pale, of course, golden-yellow. The head isn't much more than foam but is constant, and of course leaves very minimal tiny patches of the very thinnest lacing in maybe two spots.
The smell is corn husk, some alcohol and very mild grains. Perhaps a touch of something tart with a subtle sweetness.
Corn is most of the flavor with an alcohol kick. Underneath is a grains flavor and malts are very much subdued; hops are incredibly difficult to detect and there's an herbal funk as well here.
The body is light, though not as light as I'd have thought, bordering on medium. It's crisp and surprisingly smooth, with a carbonation that's almost overactive but manages to stay within bounds. I wouldn't call the mouthfeel good, but it almost is, and it is just above average.
Drinkability, on the other hand, is just on the wrong side of average.

2.2/5  rDev +10%

One of the more drinkable lagers in the malt liquor "beer for hobos" catagory. Looks a tad syrupy, but with an unusually light hue. Smells like alcohol a little more than I'd really like.

Tastes like liquid corn. Really not a whole lot to this one, as far as flavor. Still, the bare fact that it doesn't taste outright putrid is something to be proud of with a malt Liquor. Could be a lot worse. Basically, tastes like one of Anheuser-Busch's standard offerings, only with the alcohol jacked up.

2.18/5  rDev +9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bought this in a 25 oz. "one extra ounce" can for my breweriana collection. Poured into a chilled pint glass.

A - Pours a huge loose head that is fleeting and retreats to practically no lacing - just a flat yellow liquid.

S - Adjunct city with metallic overtones.

T - Not as bad as the smell, but still cooked corn and grains with a metallic hint.

M - Surprisingly a little on the watery side.

O - This is best drank ice cold, quickly and straight from the can or bottle. Still, for what it is it really isn't all that bad.

2.58/5  rDev +29%

Pours a kinda dark golden color with a decent head that quickly goes down...a little darker than your standard cheap lager..

Smells very sweet up front. Maybe some malts in there? Very grainy...I couldn't pick up any hop presence.. A little boozy too..

Taste is sweet as well.. Finishes sweet and grainy.. Maybe a little malts.. Slight hop bitterness with a semi boozy after taste...finishes surprisingly clean..

MF is clean not bad..

Takes a while to get used to but after 3 or 4 swigs your good to go haha

Cheers

1.94/5  rDev -3%

Picked up this 40oz for a buck and a half at the gas station...definitely can't beat the price, and it came in a lovely brown paper bag.

A - Piss yellow and ultra clear. About two fingers of foam rose and fell like the Roman empire.

S - Absolutely the most nasty smelling beverage I've come across. My girlfriend sniffed it and immediately remarked that it smells like baby poop. Gross. Smells like sour armpit sweat....I hate being this mean, but it really does. I can almost smell what seems like an attempt at some saaz hop peppery notes, but it's really more like B.O.

T - Tastes blank and unoffensive at first sip, then the sweet syrupy taste of cooked corn comes in after you swallow. Actually less offensive than some other malt liquor 40s I've had, but also less distinctive. Sort of tastes like concentrated Bud Light left outside overnight....yes, sadly I have had a breakfast of champions at a campsite and drank open beers from the night before upon rising.

M - Medium bodied, alcoholy and firm in the mouth. It may not be a very good mouthfeel, but it's anything but watery...and watery is the worst thing a beer can be.

D - Very low, unless you are on a budget. This stuff sure does what it claims to do...I drank this while watching a movie and by the end of "Cheaper by the Dozen" I was pretty damn cooked. I must say that it's one of the better 40 oz cheapo brews though.

2.67/5  rDev +33.5%

I'm reviewing purely on style. A small portion was poured into a juice glass for appearance, head, and aroma. The rest was consumed from the elegant twist cap 40 oz bottle.

A - dark copper with a thick, soapy, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - warm, metal, grainy, sweet, metallic

T - grainy, sweet, metallic, slightly bitter, warm

M - alcohol warmth, crisp, light to medium bodied

This is a typical, high temperature lagered, grainy lager with the typical off flavors for the style. For a cheap buzz it's solid otherwise avoid.

1.54/5  rDev -23%

Appearance: This stuff basically looks like your average apple juice with some bubbles. Nothing terrible but definitely nothing to write home about.

Smell: The smell is probably the worst part of this...beer. It really just smells like sweat and unfortunately vomit to an extent. I would not advise snifting this stuff if you don't want to get sick.

Taste/Mouthfeel: If the smell is not the worst part of this beer, then the taste is, especially considering that drinking this in large amounts is generally the point. Tastes very bitter but actually not too overwhelming for the first few sips/gulps when it's still cold. Cobra unfortunately gets very warm and full of gross sediment as it warms. But by the time you finish, you will probably be feeling this stuff so it won't matter much.

Drinkability: Like I said, as you drink this stuff it warms, but the buzz encourages you to finish...taste discourages you to do so.

Overall: Don't sit around sipping this beer. Honestly, only drink this if you plan on getting buzzed, and even that's not worth it...you will probably regret it.

Update: I will not change my review, considering I have had this beer more than several times. It is not good most of the time. However, I did have some of this stuff to go with a burger at a tailgate, and was quite pleasantly surprised. Maybe give that a try.

2.73/5  rDev +36.5%

The King Cobra title is quite appropriate as this malt liquor is leaner (not as sweetly malty as most) and meaner with a surprising touch of hops (light, but present nonetheless).
It pours a crystal clear golden body that's topped by a full and creamy bright white head. It drops shortly to a thin, creamy collar and some whispy surface foam but, surprisingly, it leaves some nice lace about the glass. The nose displays some lightly grainy and sweetish malt (obviously adjunct laden), a splash of alcohol, a touch of mild fruitiness (apple), some mild dimethyl sulfide (or is that just corn?), and some very low-key background hops. The body is light and it's crisp in the mouth. It's a far cry from the dull, semi-thick bodies that some of the sweeter malt liquors have! The flavor delivers a thin malt that's fairly well-balanced between a well-attenuated and only lightly sweet - but very basic - malt (read as adjunct!) and a subtle underlying bitterness. The alcohol is present, but not really intrusive; although you can feel it almost immediately in the throat. It finishes with a swatch of lingering corn-like malt and a wash of drying alcohol.
It's an interesting brew because it's fairly well done, yet it doesn't hit the mark. It's subdued enough that at first sip it seems almost like a regular beer, yet it quickly turns to show many of the negatives associated with the malt liquor style. It's a little bit more drinkable than some due to it's less sweet nature; yet it offers less character - an odd "Catch-22". Faced with a double-doored cooler full of malt liquors, I think I'd look for something else first.

1.53/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours golden/yellow with sudsy-white head and good lace. Harsh aroma of grains, hops, and possibly industrial solvents and oils. The mouthfeel has almost no character - turns to water in the mouth. The best, although nothing great, part is the flavor - malty, hops, lemon, some bitterness. Overall, a pretty weak beer, yet it is drinkable, unlike some other cheap malt liquors.

3.25/5  rDev +62.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nothing fancy, just an easy to drink malt liquor. Malt and corn sweetness. Crisp, light. Great example of the style.

2.26/5  rDev +13%

Did the beer geek nation 40 challenge. Had to review after.

Drank straight from the bottle like a 40 should. When you drink it fast and let it slosh around it kinda forms a thin head. No lacing inside the bottle when you do that though. Clear lager color.

Aroma smells hay-ish. Lots of corn. Not much else.

Taste is like a cheap pils. More corn than usual because duh it's a malt liquor.

Mouthfeel is high carb and smooth I guess.

Only gunna buy again for drinking games or if I wanna get effed up. Lol. Not the tastiest of beers but it's not like I couldn't finish it. It's whatever.

1.21/5  rDev -39.5%

They say a cobra's bite is deadly, but I think it's the taste with this crap. I could barely finish a 1/4 of the can before I felt like hurling. It gives you a buzz right away, but so does exhaust fumes. Next time I'll just stick my head in the oven.

1.29/5  rDev -35.5%

Did anyone else drink these awful forties when they were too young to start buying beer yet? lol

King Cobras are the awful of awfulness but pack a heavy punch. The appearance is of cloudy piss with carbonation; This is to be pretty much expected out of any Budweiser product. The smell is pungent and reminds me of drinking an already bad beer the morning after a party as it's warmed all evening. The smell is truly reminiscent of the morning after a college house party. The taste is no better and don't even think about getting that taste out of your mouth without food any time soon; Water, gum or milk can't save you now. The mouthfeel is probably the best part of this entire drink (which isn't saying much). It's a little astringent but otherwise sits flat on your palette and isn't too heavy.

Drinkability? If you're over 21.... What are you thinking?

2.25/5  rDev +12.5%

King Cobra is a beer brewed by Anheuser Busch. This is an Malt Liquor with an ABV of 6.0. King Cobra pours out a deep amber color with a nice white head. The smell is sweet with some grains and malts. The taste is bold with malts and some grains. The mouthfeel is sweet bitter and filling. This is a just plain cheap priced brew. The drinkability of this beer/ malt liquor is better than some of the other malt liquor out on the market. Not the best but will take you where you need to go. Overall I'm giving King Cobra a 3.25 out 5. When your low on cash I go for King Cobra.
SHIT CHEAP!!!

2.75/5  rDev +37.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 24 oz. can, my brief foray into Malt Liquors likely ends here. Haven't had this beer since college and I recall it being a modified Bud of sorts. Shows a clear medium straw in color on the pour, with a thin cap of white foam. Standard brief retention though some bubbles offer a glimmer of hope going forward and in fact allow for some forced lacing.

Nose is light with a hint of rice and some sweetness. A hop drifted by briefly. Even at a somewhat moderate 6 percent there is a bit of alcohol on the nose given the lack of other contributions along with a bit of wet sock yeast notes.

Flavor too is funny sweet with a bit of orange on the finish. A decent carbonation masks much in the flavor department initially before the odd sweet fruit flavor hits you. Feel is cold and thin yet somewhat welcoming given other flavors, and finishes with a bit of dry husky grain.

Otherwise this beer lacks the creamy nature found in a few others of the style and no longer bears any resemblance to your standard Bud. Might be me, might be the beer after these years. Interestingly this beer fills out a bit, keeps its carbonation and becomes more balanced well through 50 degrees, rounding out the aroma and feel in doing so. Flavor still falls a bit short of average.

2.91/5  rDev +45.5%

I have only tryed Steel Reserve in a 24oz can which costs as much as the Cobra yet you are getting 16 less ounces. The price on the Cobra can not be beat but of coarse the taste can be beat. Try this for yourself if low on money it will get the job done and for only $1.65 for a 40 wow what a deal. Hats off to Anheuser Busch for that =)

1.57/5  rDev -21.5%

This beer is best not tasted. Its basically piss in a bottle. There is not much else to say about it. The only real reason to drink this is for a joke or something. It works if your going for thug appeal. Of course that only works If you are drinking it from a 40 oz bottle.

to view more.