King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.00% ABV

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002)
Reviews by pentathlete:
pentathlete

2.53/5  rDev +25.9%

Crystal clear light yellow with plenty of carbonation. Nothing special, nothing bad here. There is a modicum of malt in the nose, but the adjuncts, maybe corn?, appear also. I was expecting refrigerated liquified sterno for the taste, but instead was met with a clean, light bodied lager taste. There was a bit of alcohol at the end and the riciness was clear in the crispy and thinning mouthfeel. This was not as terrible as I had expected. It did taste different than its sister Hurricane (which was much more "fuel" flavored.) Certainly nothing I would buy or recommend, but if you are looking for something to compare a craft malt liquor such as Daddy's Little Helper or Liquor de Malt then this is worth the $1.50 or so you'll pay for a 40 ounce bottle. Available at finer highway gas stations where beer is sold.

02-03-2007 22:22:18 | More by pentathlete
DollarCan

2.83/5  rDev +40.8%

he only thing I do like about King Cobra is the price. The price is very cheap, and you can usually get them for about 2 dollars. I think that King Cobra would only give me a good buzz if I drank on an empty stomach and I downed it fast. Other than that it didn't give me a good buzz. I didn't really like the taste of King Cobra beer. The taste is very watery. It's not a really bad taste like 211 but it lacks any flavor.

02-25-2011 04:52:59 | More by DollarCan
tectactoe

1.84/5  rDev -8.5%

Drink the ol' four-oh down to the bottom of the neck & top the bottle off with a little Tropicana Orange Juice. Gently swirl & enjoy this wonderful poor man's Mimosa. Make Mike D proud & get your brass monkey on, son. If you ain't on that King Cobra grind, then you better get your head right or your wig split.

06-09-2014 15:13:41 | More by tectactoe

Rhode Island

08-01-2014 14:52:19 | More by Doomcifer
Jason

2.2/5  rDev +9.5%

Presentation: 22 oz clear twist with a wide mouth, "Born On Date" on front label for freshness. This sample was not poured into a glass and was consumed out of the bottle, as any premium malt liquor should be.

Appearance: Pale yellow with a champagne like carbonation.

Smell: Cooked corn with a ghost like hint of grain.

Taste: Light bodied and effervescent with a evident cooked corn flavour throughout. Hop bitterness is unnoticeable ... malt character is minimal leaving hints of grain. A bit of an alcoholic punch is felt after a few gulps as it warms the chest. The finish has a modest grain with more cooked corn flavour yet is remarkably clean.

Notes: The name says it all and who they are marketing for. As for the quality? If you like to drink flavourless beer with a kick of alcohol this is for you.

03-23-2002 06:10:26 | More by Jason

3.5/5  rDev +74.1%

06-10-2014 02:31:36 | More by tyleeis
Tekka

1.9/5  rDev -5.5%

Malt Liquors are generally horrible, but effective brews designed to get you drunk. King Cobra is easily among the most foul. It's a got a sickening corn sweetness which lasts only for a few seconds. Its right about this point where the King Cobra is unleashed upon your taste buds. You're instantly hit with a sourness and bitterness from the absolute worst hop flavor imaginable. It's like a used hop flavor mixed in with dirty tennis shoe. The entire experience is horrible, but luckily goes away quickly, much like the sweetness of the brew. This is a beverage which should ONLY be consumed if you are dirt poor and or are preparing for a new career as a bum. In either case though, you're better off spending a tad more money for a better malt liquor.

05-02-2009 01:56:15 | More by Tekka
GOBLIN

06-30-2014 15:59:10 | More by GOBLIN
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.33/5  rDev -33.8%

Ugh. Why not, we're already trashed? Pours like bright yellow wizz. No nothing. Smell, like the brewery floor of a major. Seriously, go on a tour, you'll know what I'm talking about. Or go huff the underside of an alcoholic's couch cushions, this stuff is probably in there.

Taste, hey, there's something not entirely disgusting, dare I say, fruity aspect of some minimal yeast strain carries well with whatever adjunct they used, probably corn syrup.

I guess mouthfeel, drinkability wise, it doesn't get worse, once you get over those first few sips, you can make it thruogh the rest, begrudgingly.

12-27-2009 11:13:32 | More by Beerandraiderfan
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

1.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Another malt liquor like you really need another one after Hurricane...appears a clear glden tone with a large white head leaves behind even lace but it dwindles quickly. Aroma has a slight metallic grainy note that has a sort of semi sweet alcohol corn and rice appeal to it and of course cooked veggies with a touch of fruity tart apple. Flavors collide to form a harsh metallic grainy offness on the palate wow this is rediculous has how bad it is but a mild sweet tone with evident alcohol and finishes with a very chemical edge to it, definitely will induce a headache drinking this stuff on the regular. Mouthfeel has high carbonation light bodied some stickiness to it all but c'mon another beer within the same damn style. Drinkability mass produced malt liquor beer you buy when your broke and don't care about taste...what more can be said this one sucks.

12-11-2006 11:46:45 | More by WVbeergeek
OStrungT

1.88/5  rDev -6.5%

First off, let me explain how I cam across this bottle. I used to drink 40's of this stuff when I was like 15. They cost about 89 cents a bottle. I thought I was cool. Now, 9 years later, I have a slightly different apreciation for beer. I told some friends of mine that I used to drink this stuff, and they thought that was very funny. The other day, I threw a party, and one of my friends bought me a 40 to be funny. I decided to review it for old times sake. So here goes.

This beer pours a very light straw colored yellow. It looks like water with a little food coloring to it. The head is white and lifeless. It fades very quick leaving no laces. The first thing I think of when I smell this stuff is rotting sewage. It smells like rotton corn and dirty water. I dont smell any hops. I dont smell any redeaming qualities at all. I am slightly scared to taste this stuff again. First taste isnt too bad. Not good by any means, but not as bad as I expected. It has a corn flavor. I guess that would be because it is made with corn. It is not hoppy at all. I detect absolutely no spicy flavor. Also, I cant taste any malty flavors. It tastes very much like everything that Anheuser-Busch makes. This beer is carbonated decently, I guess. It would, in my opinion, make an awfull session beer. I will probably never drink it again. It is low in alcohol, though, so to those that like Anheuser-Busch products, it might be a good session beer. I know I used to drink 4 or 5 40's in a night, much to my regrets in the morning. I would recomend staying away from this one. Stick to urine. It probably tastes better.

06-21-2005 01:39:00 | More by OStrungT
LXIXME

New Mexico

1.75/5  rDev -12.9%

01-28-2014 17:31:42 | More by LXIXME
Brenden

2.28/5  rDev +13.4%

This is my first ever malt liquor; not something I ever wanted to try, but everything in its time and all that. Honestly, it was bad, but not as heinous as I was afraid it would be.

The color is pale, of course, golden-yellow. The head isn't much more than foam but is constant, and of course leaves very minimal tiny patches of the very thinnest lacing in maybe two spots.
The smell is corn husk, some alcohol and very mild grains. Perhaps a touch of something tart with a subtle sweetness.
Corn is most of the flavor with an alcohol kick. Underneath is a grains flavor and malts are very much subdued; hops are incredibly difficult to detect and there's an herbal funk as well here.
The body is light, though not as light as I'd have thought, bordering on medium. It's crisp and surprisingly smooth, with a carbonation that's almost overactive but manages to stay within bounds. I wouldn't call the mouthfeel good, but it almost is, and it is just above average.
Drinkability, on the other hand, is just on the wrong side of average.

11-02-2009 17:55:13 | More by Brenden
SetarconeX

2.23/5  rDev +10.9%

One of the more drinkable lagers in the malt liquor "beer for hobos" catagory. Looks a tad syrupy, but with an unusually light hue. Smells like alcohol a little more than I'd really like.

Tastes like liquid corn. Really not a whole lot to this one, as far as flavor. Still, the bare fact that it doesn't taste outright putrid is something to be proud of with a malt Liquor. Could be a lot worse. Basically, tastes like one of Anheuser-Busch's standard offerings, only with the alcohol jacked up.

12-17-2004 05:26:40 | More by SetarconeX

10-16-2012 00:12:10 | More by alesaram
Retroman40

Kentucky

2.19/5  rDev +9%

Bought this in a 25 oz. "one extra ounce" can for my breweriana collection. Poured into a chilled pint glass.

A - Pours a huge loose head that is fleeting and retreats to practically no lacing - just a flat yellow liquid.

S - Adjunct city with metallic overtones.

T - Not as bad as the smell, but still cooked corn and grains with a metallic hint.

M - Surprisingly a little on the watery side.

O - This is best drank ice cold, quickly and straight from the can or bottle. Still, for what it is it really isn't all that bad.

01-25-2014 11:32:09 | More by Retroman40
aval89

2.58/5  rDev +28.4%

Pours a kinda dark golden color with a decent head that quickly goes down...a little darker than your standard cheap lager..

Smells very sweet up front. Maybe some malts in there? Very grainy...I couldn't pick up any hop presence.. A little boozy too..

Taste is sweet as well.. Finishes sweet and grainy.. Maybe a little malts.. Slight hop bitterness with a semi boozy after taste...finishes surprisingly clean..

MF is clean not bad..

Takes a while to get used to but after 3 or 4 swigs your good to go haha

Cheers

05-18-2010 06:16:02 | More by aval89
pmcadamis

1.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Picked up this 40oz for a buck and a half at the gas station...definitely can't beat the price, and it came in a lovely brown paper bag.

A - Piss yellow and ultra clear. About two fingers of foam rose and fell like the Roman empire.

S - Absolutely the most nasty smelling beverage I've come across. My girlfriend sniffed it and immediately remarked that it smells like baby poop. Gross. Smells like sour armpit sweat....I hate being this mean, but it really does. I can almost smell what seems like an attempt at some saaz hop peppery notes, but it's really more like B.O.

T - Tastes blank and unoffensive at first sip, then the sweet syrupy taste of cooked corn comes in after you swallow. Actually less offensive than some other malt liquor 40s I've had, but also less distinctive. Sort of tastes like concentrated Bud Light left outside overnight....yes, sadly I have had a breakfast of champions at a campsite and drank open beers from the night before upon rising.

M - Medium bodied, alcoholy and firm in the mouth. It may not be a very good mouthfeel, but it's anything but watery...and watery is the worst thing a beer can be.

D - Very low, unless you are on a budget. This stuff sure does what it claims to do...I drank this while watching a movie and by the end of "Cheaper by the Dozen" I was pretty damn cooked. I must say that it's one of the better 40 oz cheapo brews though.

11-27-2006 05:49:25 | More by pmcadamis