King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured from a 40oz bottle into.......who the fuck am I kidding, this is malt liquor god dammit and the only way to drink it is out of the bottle in a paper bag outside on a hot day

L: typical malt liquor. Piss gold in color. A bit of lacing.

S: lots of sweet corn and malt in the nose with a bit of solvent on there (alcohol). Undertones of wet cardboard.

T: after a few chugs (you are not allowed to sip this shit) I'm getting a bunch of corn/cereal malt sweetness. No hops to speak of except for balancing out the adjuncts. Finish is surprisingly clean with a bit of alcohol residue

M: finishes a tad dry and clean. Not too carbonated thankfully

Certainly not my pick if forced to choose a malt liquor. Id probably go with Olde English over this.

Side note: I rated this a 3/5 since we are rating this according to style. I never understood why some of the dopey BAs here review according to personal choice, not by style guidelines. Nobody has ever said malt liquor or adjunct lagers were brewed for full flavor. If the brewers were trying to make a tasty Munich Helles Lager and the result was King Cobra then yes, this would deserve a 1/5-- but that is not the case. The brewers set out to make a malt liquor and that's exactly what King Cobra is, so if anything a 3 out of 5 is a pretty harsh score. If you don't understand then just do yourself and everyone else a favor and read the BJCP style guidelines before reviewing (1,441 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +41.9%

I don't always drink malt liquor,but when I do, I drink King Cobra. Crapola I return to time and time again. 40oz...6%...2 bux..."drinkable"...winning! (151 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Poured from a 40 OZ bottle into a red solo cup. This still couldn't conceal my shame!!!
This beer is horrible from the color, smell to the taste. I didn't even like the label on the bottle. I don't mind a good malt liquor, I like Colt 45, Magnum and Private Stock. But this is awful. (286 characters)

3.01/5  rDev +31.4%

The King Cobra malt liquor is the best malt liquor I have ever drank and I have drank a lot of malt liquors.
No such thing of hops in this. No such thing of roasted malt in this.
Just get your buzz on for cheap.
I think that is is brewed at a lower temp than other malts due to the heaviness of the corn adjunct and maybe the artificial sugars that they use over at the St. Louis brewery.
King Cobra...drink it and you'll be a Cobra for life! (445 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +52.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Light gold

S - A bit absent. There is some grain & corn.

T - Light corn and grain. Carbonation gives some bite in place of hops.

M - Medium- and quite drier than anticipated.

O - Very refreshing but a bit tame for a high gravity lager. If you must mow your lawn this year, King Cobra will balm the savage thirst. (351 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a golden color with only a small lace of head around the rim, highly carbonated. Smells like standard corn adjunct lager. Not much flavor until it reaches the bottom of your throat. Not as putrid as I expected. A little bitter in the aftertaste. After a couple tastes I'm starting to taste the fuel like malt liquor flavor. Far from the best malt liquor, but not the worst either. (386 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -3.9%

When I used to drink malt liquors, this was my favorite. Malt liquors exist to get a person drunk as possible on the least amount of money and I used to buy KC quartz for 99 cents plus tax and CRV back in the 90's, but I have not had this beer since. (250 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +21.4%

*Reviewed with Louisiana Beer Reviews on Youtube

A- Looks like an American lager. It's got some head when you pour it directly down the middle of a glass. Tilting the glass does nothing. But looks like beer in general.

S- Pungent. Unidentifiable grains and cooked veggies. Sweet. Wet paper.

T- Pungent as well. Same as the smell. Grains and cooked veggies with that overall sweet character. No hop character whatsoever. Borderline OK. I think there are other malt liquors that taste better than this one.

M- Very drinkable. It's light to medium, on the light-ish side. It's not a dry as other American lagers. You can feel the sweetness slightly tingling the teeth (strangely enough). The finish has the wet grainy feel to it.

Overall I can't recommend this beer to you, but I wouldn't say this isn't something you shouldn't try. My averge for the rating is 2.8ish, which rounds to being a 3. It's okay, but to me it is a bit harsh and I would rather drink Old English 800 or Private Stock Instead. (1,005 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +44.1%

Yes, this is not a truly fine brew, but it is cold, wet, carbonated, and cheap. You get what you py for, and sometimes it isn't the higher priced stuff. This stuff is not too bad when icy cold on a hot summer day. Actually, it's pretty good considering the price, although it desperately needs some hops. Sadly, adding a decent amount of hops would raise the price, defeating the point of being the cheapest beer around. I give it a 4.5 because it is good value for the money, and probably best in it's class. (509 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -20.1%

Drink the ol' four-oh down to the bottom of the neck & top the bottle off with a little Tropicana Orange Juice. Gently swirl & enjoy this wonderful poor man's Mimosa. Make Mike D proud & get your brass monkey on, son. If you ain't on that King Cobra grind, then you better get your head right or your wig split. (311 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Appearance - It's nothing special it's a clear golden and very very bubbly. No head or lacing.

Smell - Smells a lot like vegetable oil and alcohol. I don't think there is much to describe about it.

Taste - I can mostly taste the alcohol with a bit of corn.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, crisp and drinkable for a malt liquor.

Overall - Not something I'd recommend unless you're interested in emptying the change in your pockets. I didn't enjoy this malt liquor that much but it's alright I think there's much better out there. (520 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -20.1%

40 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Split between me and a friend, mfndsvp, acquired at the local beer store for $1.92 with tax. Expectations are next to nothing.

Poured into a Houlihan's pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear gold with lots of carbonation. A finger or so of fizzy white head that dissipates into nothing quickly. Very thin spotty lacing, but it's still there.

S - Smell is comprised of musty grains / GMO corn / huskiness, and some medicinal wet paper / cardboard going on.

T - Taste follows the nose - wet paper / cardboard, GMO corn / huskiness / grains, and some off medicinal flavors.

M - Feel is crisp, clean, and carbonated. Lightly sticky & papery. Drinkable for the 6.00% abv, but it's just not good.

Overall, another tick from the bottom of the barrel. I've clearly had worse than this, but this isn't a likely contender for repeat drinking. Still light years better than shit like Steel Reserve 211.

King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor ---2/5. (995 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +14%

Many friends of mine are in sheer disbelief that I actually like this beer. You probably asking yourself why like they do. First off, the taste to me is better that any other malt liquor, and although the ingredients are simple...corn. Its a smooth drink. its also high in alcohol content which for its price gives a nice cheap buzz. If I drink enough the corn taste keeps getting sweeter. Drink this stuff ice cold and its better in cans, the light cant get to it. (465 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bought this in a 25 oz. "one extra ounce" can for my breweriana collection. Poured into a chilled pint glass.

A - Pours a huge loose head that is fleeting and retreats to practically no lacing - just a flat yellow liquid.

S - Adjunct city with metallic overtones.

T - Not as bad as the smell, but still cooked corn and grains with a metallic hint.

M - Surprisingly a little on the watery side.

O - This is best drank ice cold, quickly and straight from the can or bottle. Still, for what it is it really isn't all that bad. (528 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

There's nothing like a swill tick on a Sunday evening...

Pours a lifeless clear pale straw color with no head or lacing. Nose is corny, grainy, musty and metallic. There are hints of stale skunky character at the end. Taste starts with water followed by an addition of slightly sweet and musty grain notes that gain in strength. The finish is metallic and stale tasting. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Yeah, this one is pretty bad! (431 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

this stuff is cheap so thats good , in my area have never found a 40 or any bottle at all of this stuff

taste is kinda gross , the busch gross , over carbonated super thin , i am not a busch fan so if you like busch or budweiser then you should dig this . Its just so carbonated and snkaky

which leads to me to the next point , smell smells kinda corny and adjunky well sure its anheiser and its malt liqour so that doesnt say much but idk it smelled like busch but to the next level.

taste well like i said like busch but since its 6% instead of 4.6 it's more of a pay off, how ever id rather buy steel reserve,old english or hurricane . hurricane is also made my Anheuser and may be harsher , its also got more of a deeper drink and is less carbonated , and best part more abv 2% .

i used to think it was ok , but last time i drank it it was a day after i drank an ice house , the ice house was only 0.5 % less but was way easier to drink .

all in all its not that good imo , look down at the 40s the OE or HGs and you'll get more abv and more to drink for the price

id rather skip the 6% buzz and go for rolling rock if i had to choose between the two .

how ever if you do try it its only a $1.80 loss... (1,217 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +27.1%

I have only tryed Steel Reserve in a 24oz can which costs as much as the Cobra yet you are getting 16 less ounces. The price on the Cobra can not be beat but of coarse the taste can be beat. Try this for yourself if low on money it will get the job done and for only $1.65 for a 40 wow what a deal. Hats off to Anheuser Busch for that =) (337 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +80.3%

Poured into a pint glass. First time drinking it.

A- Nice golden color. 3 finger head that dissipates quickly. Leaves a little lacing.

S- Malts, alcohol, corn.

T- Malty, corn, some fusel alcohol. A little sweet. Leaves a nice malty aftertaste.

M- Slick, light, good carbonation.

Drinkability- Goes down really smooth. It's an easy drinking malt liquor.

O- Overall, this malt liquor is quite good. It's easy to drink and has a great taste. Refreshing. (459 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a 40oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves almost no lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains adjuncts, alcohol, light caramelized malts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some adjunct and malt sweetness. Then some grainy breadinees comes in from a thin malt character. There’s a mild alcohol sting and an extremely mild hops presence creating very little balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, solid representation of style, considering the style it’s not too bad, but there are other inexpensive beers I would prefer if I were just trying to get a buzz. (856 characters)

2.36/5  rDev +3.1%

I deliver for the local A-B distributor and am slowly making my way through the A-B lineup so if asked, I can give a little description of what we offer. I tried the hurricane high gravity as my first malt liquor and it was pretty gross, so I was reluctant to try this. But I did, and without further ado....

A- Yellow, straw-ish in a glass, but darker, almost orange in the 40 oz bottle

S- Not much to report, but a pleasant change from the overly hopped pine-sol-ish IPA I rated last

T- Bland sweetness, corn nothing really good or bad here

M- medium carbonation, kinda watery, drinkable

O- Obviously not a high-end sophisticated brew, but nothing offensive. I would not seek this out or list it among my favorites, but would drink again if offered. Better than the only other malt liquor I tried. (805 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

me and the homiezz was DRIVEN our motorbikes down in duh smokiez where wez all dicovered duh King Cobra..after downing a few 40'z yo it made us feel happy and stumble around...

if dis waz a multiple choice:

A. King Cobra (ice cold)
B. Hot Dog Water (warm)
C. A buddies piss (warm)

...I'd choose a BIG "A" every time..YO! (323 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -5.2%

Me and my homies be on a motorcycle tripz in a dry county needing something to drink we got ahold od dis shitz it was some fly azz shitz we pounded sum 40's and plaz some domino bitches it goes realz nize in a paper sack yo. We be getting tis shitz everz time we be ridin yoz dont fogetz to poorz sum out for the motoz that be gonz (331 characters)

2.72/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: 24oz tallboy can with a pretty badass label. Drinking this one straight out of the can. The only time you should be pouring malt liquor is on the ground for your dead homies.

S: Not much to smell. I can there's beer in there, but the smell is very faint. Just a touch of corny, cooked vegetable aroma.

T: Ice-cold, there's almost no flavor. A touch of ajunct is all that reminds me I'm drinking a beer. Adjunct and veggie taste comes out more as the can warms.

M: About as light, crisp, and water-like as I've ever had.

O: Nothing offensive here. It's way easy to drink, and I think that's the point. Weird to have something from AB that is actually enjoyable (not gross). Value isn't that great, approaching $2 for a 24oz. (734 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

You definitely wanna drink King Cobra as cold you possibly can. But in simplest terms though it's like drinking cornbread, very comforting and every bit worth the $2. I am listening to King Crimson (thanks to another member) and feel very happy. Of course I had 240z of a Riverside EDGE (which was MEH at best...) prior to this 40oz, but if you aren't completely stuck up up you can appreciate that Anheuser-Busch created a surprisingly edible concoction for $2.02 (464 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a golden amber color with a tiny white head. The head fades almost instantly with only a trace of lace.

Smell- The aroma is mainly of a sweet corny smell with some lighter hints of a bready nature as well as a little bit of a metallic smell.

Taste - The taste begins with a mix of a malty and corny taste with a light hint of caramel sweetness. Surprisingly, it maintains this flavor largely to its end where only a faint cardboard yet somewhat very lightly citrus hopped flavor come to the taste leaving a somewhat crisp taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the medium side with a carbonation level that is rather average as well. A slightly lighter creaminess and mouthfeel may have suited the corny and lightly citrus and cardboard flavors better as well as made it more drinkable. Even with this said, the feel is not awful for the brew.

Overall – Not an overall massively tasty brew, but it is wicked cheap (~ 3 dollars for a 6 pack) and is drinkable, so it suits a need and a situation. For what it is, it is pretty decent. (1,135 characters)

King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch