King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor Alström Bros

This is a straight wino beer, it has to be the worst beer I have ever tasted. There's nothing great about it, the malt taste like garbage and dirt. If you like cheap malt beer buy Mikieys that at least has a good taste. Just avoid this beer at all cost. (253 characters)

Got Bored at work today so on my lunch break I made my way down to the corner store looking for a decent lunchtime brew. As I browsed the cooler I came to the realization that not only was there no local/micro brews but there wasn't even a decent imported brew. So I figured what the hell I'll review a malt liquor 40oz'er.

No Head to speak/ No lacing of any kind. Humongous carbonation bubbles. I dont think I've ever seen carbonation quite like this...a constant stream of different size bubbles with the biggest reminding me of when I go to the water cooler and big burping pockets of air rise to the top. Straw color and completely clear.

Watered down taste. I'm surprised to see it is 5.9% as it seems like I'm drinking a glass of juice. It has the mouthfeel of carbonated apple juice mixed 50/50 with water. finishes with an off corn flavor and its gone. Towards the end of this 40 it gets syrupy and is almost undrinkable as it warms. Avoid. (955 characters)

stay away from this shit.

I consumed a 40 oz of this beer. It was the last 40 oz i have consumed to this day, and will forever be the last 40 oz i will ingest. Not the way to enjoy beer, no matter if its craft or otherwise.

anyway, this stuff is terrible. all malt and no substance, all booze and no taste.

The combination of cobra and doritos scarred me for life.

just...dont do it. (391 characters)

I wish I could vote a "0" here. Well, maybe not, because then Milwaukee's Beast would be rated higher and we just can't have that. I'll tell you what though, those looking for a quick drunk for the price, here you go... this is SOOO cheap. Then again, do you even want to drink stuff that's this cheap? What do they put in it anyways? Nevermind, don't want to know. This is a hangover waiting to happen. (403 characters)

The names king cobra, and i gotta agree, this stuff looks pretty poisonous. Comes in a 24 ounce can, never the sign of a quality brew. Smells like snake venom. Holy smokes, the taste is rough. Damn ive admittedly had some extremely bad beers, but this one is probably as bad as they get (excluding cave creek of course). After further consideration, beside the cave creek this is hands down the worst beer that i have had. It sinks its fangs in you deep and trys to kill you (474 characters)

This beer is absolute shit. If the smell alone doesn't cause immediate vomiting, don't worry, its on the way. I would rather drink hobo piss than drink this beer. It would probably contain more natural ingredients than this toxic soup masquerading as a malt liquor. (265 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -55%

What kind of malt liquor has a 5.9% abv? Isn't the point of this stuff to get intoxicated? A nasty golden color with no head. The nose is bitter with some malty syrup presence. Taste is of rotting vegatables. Thick yet really carbonated. Stay away from this monster. (266 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -51.1%

32 oz bottle poured into a standard Budweiser pint glass. No apparent born on date,

A: Very clear pale straw in color with a white head.

S: Like Budweiser on steroids. Corn, cereal, etc.

T: BLLLEEEHHH. not worth it.

M: Ugh. Water thats about it.

D: Get trashed beer. not much more. (288 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -49.8%

This is one of the worst beers I've ever had, to me far worse than most other malt liquors even, and so far only Yeti Special Export is worse.

This is very pale yellow, almost green, with a huge, but very airy white head that steadily dissipates to almost nothing.

The aroma, unpleasant, is old, sweet apple cider that has turned and rubber.

The taste is worse. Watery and bland, it's almost salty at first, then metallic and soapy with an unpleasant chemical sharpness in the finish before an exceedingly faint, brief, corn element but even this is both faint and brief. (577 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -48.5%

Another absolutely disgusting malt liquor. Only good for taping around your hands and chugging as fast as you can. As most of these beers tend to be, it gets absolutely horrifying once it warms up even a little bit. Astringent booze, syrupy sweet malt, no hop flavor, with grainy and husky off flavors. Stay away. (313 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -48.5%

Oh, how bad. This is the second worst malt liquor I have had in my life. Skunky and rotten, high abv and cloying in every sene of the words. Cliche yellow color, aroma and taste make you gag. Very bad, this is definitely a can of beer to get drunk with on a budget. (Roughly $1.19 a 24 oz. can) (294 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -48.5%

32 oz bottle poured into a cheap Budweiser pint glass (this one doesn't even have the nucleation site on it...) No apparent date, but has some cryptic character strings stamped on the bottom of the bottle and on the label.

Appearance - Very clear pale straw body with a very thin white sticky head.

Smell - Musky earth. Corn. Sod. Witch Hazel. Not very appetizing, but hey, it's a malt liquor.

Taste - Very watered down ethanol. Corn. Musk. Staleness throughout.

Mouthfeel - Ugh. Water with a little slime in it. No body, just an uncomfortable slight stickiness and staleness in the finish.

Overall Drinkability - Haven't had this since I was 17, which is about a decade ago. Turns out there's a pretty good reason for that. My decision to rate this beer makes me feel like a dirty beer-karma slut. (803 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -47.2%

They say a cobra's bite is deadly, but I think it's the taste with this crap. I could barely finish a 1/4 of the can before I felt like hurling. It gives you a buzz right away, but so does exhaust fumes. Next time I'll just stick my head in the oven. (250 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -46.7%

Woody continues to do the CAN-CAN. What else would I do on Christmas Day, 2009?

A nice tallboy of this to start the day. Yum! The CAN mentions "... for your drinking pleasure and complete satisfaction". Fair dinkum. If this doesn't come off as advertised, I'm going to call the 1.800 number on the CAN and inquire about a refund, especially if it becomes a drainpour. I really do not think that it will require a full 24-ounces to get an idea of what is going on.

I have never seen a finger's worth of bone-white head disappear so quickly. It was as if Harry Houdini had commanded it to "Vanish!" Color was a light golden-yellow, causing it to look like liquid sunshine in a glass when peering out my kitchen window on a dreary afternoon. Clarity was NE-quality and I could see that it was now starting to rain outside. Nose was really fusel, ghastly. I want to go across the parking lot and offer to buy something good for anyone who might be drinking this garbage in a gesture of goodwill and peace on earth. Mouthfeel was watery-thin with a grape soda pop-like taste in the mouth. How did they achieve this? The esters were all reminiscent of bubble gum. Whew. Finish left me breathless, but not in a good way. This was like a punch to the solar plexus.

Time to make a phone call before heading to the sink. (1,315 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Drank from the can as part of a college dare. Objective was simply to finish the entire can without drainpouring. Incredibly cheap but also barely palatable. Tasted like corn and gasoline, which makes sense since we found these at about $0.30 a pop at the local Sheetz. We did finish them however, and promptly autographed the cans upon completion to commemorate our worthwhile shame and regret. We displayed these trophies on our mantle for the rest of the semester. (467 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -44.5%

A: Pale, straw yellow. Not offensive, just nothign special

S: Corn and cereal grains. Nothing appealling here at all

T: In order to give this beer a fair chance i poured it in a glass. I regret that I dirtied the glass. Pouring it just opens up more of the terrible corn/grain aroma. The taste is nothing but terrible whether straight from the bottle or from a glass.

M: I guess it's not bad. It's light and I guess refreshing if you can get past the flavor (I sure can't)

D: Avoid at all costs. I drank more than a couple of these as an undergraduate, but never because they tasted good. Maturity and a more discerning palate have reduced this to simply unpalatable. (671 characters)

1.29/5  rDev -43.7%

Did anyone else drink these awful forties when they were too young to start buying beer yet? lol

King Cobras are the awful of awfulness but pack a heavy punch. The appearance is of cloudy piss with carbonation; This is to be pretty much expected out of any Budweiser product. The smell is pungent and reminds me of drinking an already bad beer the morning after a party as it's warmed all evening. The smell is truly reminiscent of the morning after a college house party. The taste is no better and don't even think about getting that taste out of your mouth without food any time soon; Water, gum or milk can't save you now. The mouthfeel is probably the best part of this entire drink (which isn't saying much). It's a little astringent but otherwise sits flat on your palette and isn't too heavy.

Drinkability? If you're over 21.... What are you thinking? (861 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -43.2%

Ugh. Why not, we're already trashed? Pours like bright yellow wizz. No nothing. Smell, like the brewery floor of a major. Seriously, go on a tour, you'll know what I'm talking about. Or go huff the underside of an alcoholic's couch cushions, this stuff is probably in there.

Taste, hey, there's something not entirely disgusting, dare I say, fruity aspect of some minimal yeast strain carries well with whatever adjunct they used, probably corn syrup.

I guess mouthfeel, drinkability wise, it doesn't get worse, once you get over those first few sips, you can make it thruogh the rest, begrudgingly. (601 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -39.7%

So this I have no excuse for other then trying to knock out the bottom of the barrel list as quick as possible. A short trip to the store revealed most of these sitting there, rip for the taking. Decided to try a few last night and just go with it. Served cold and right from the bottle, this was consumed on 08/11/2010.

Why oh why do they even make these still. After having a couple out on the beach, I figured I should try and knock another one out since it was on sale for 1.99 for a 40oz. The pricing is just absurd to me, considering what I normally pay for things, but as I would find out, you certainly get what you pay for. Very pale pour, I think this might be the lightest of the malts I have tried over the last week, with the same fizzy white head that disappears almost instantly though the ever present streams of carbonation all seem to still be coming up from the bottom of the glass. Aroma is corn, alcohol, and a mess of wet hay. Just not what you want to come home to. This follows over to the flavor almost exactly as it was just all over the place, but maintained that almost day old bread like taste mixed with astringent alcohol and moldy cereal. Slick feel and just an almost gag inducing aftertaste. Just not built for this one at all.

Overall this may have been the worst of the bunch, just not something I would ever go back to. (1,358 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -37.1%

Appearance: Not as bad as some beers (cough cough Bud Light cough), but pretty weak. Fluffy white head with surprisingly good retention sits a top a golden honey-yellow body with lively, mesmerizing bubbles.

Smell: There's something about this beer that really reminds me of the breath of someone with a cold or the flu. It's funky, sour, musty, skunky... awful, really. This is one best drank ice cold, and straight from the bottle.

Taste: Odd... kind of fruity, actually. Slightly bitter and dry like raw flour. Overall, pretty bland and weak, but definitely has presence.

Mouthfeel: Although the beer is paper-thin, the bubbles form a frothy and surprisingly full mouthfeel. This is definitely the beer's strong point.

Drinkability: This is really not very good, but hey... it was $1.29. What did I expect? I am worried, however, that I won't be able to finish all 32 ounces. (890 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

this stuff is cheap so thats good , in my area have never found a 40 or any bottle at all of this stuff

taste is kinda gross , the busch gross , over carbonated super thin , i am not a busch fan so if you like busch or budweiser then you should dig this . Its just so carbonated and snkaky

which leads to me to the next point , smell smells kinda corny and adjunky well sure its anheiser and its malt liqour so that doesnt say much but idk it smelled like busch but to the next level.

taste well like i said like busch but since its 6% instead of 4.6 it's more of a pay off, how ever id rather buy steel reserve,old english or hurricane . hurricane is also made my Anheuser and may be harsher , its also got more of a deeper drink and is less carbonated , and best part more abv 2% .

i used to think it was ok , but last time i drank it it was a day after i drank an ice house , the ice house was only 0.5 % less but was way easier to drink .

all in all its not that good imo , look down at the 40s the OE or HGs and you'll get more abv and more to drink for the price

id rather skip the 6% buzz and go for rolling rock if i had to choose between the two .

how ever if you do try it its only a $1.80 loss... (1,217 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -35.8%

Yes, it has alcohol in it. Yes, it will get you a buzz for little dough. My main complaint is the taste. Normally, with cheap brews like this, you get at least some kinda funky aftertaste or something, but with King Cobra, nothing. Tastes like water with a hardly any malt or anything. It's like Busch just gave up after putting alcohol and coloring in the bottle. I paid 1.19$ for 40 oz. of this?? (398 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -35.8%

40oz to 10oz? ale glass solely for reviewing - the rest consumed from the bottle, pours a golden straw shade, highly carbonated, foamy white head fades

smells gross pretty much, high corn/rice adjuncty smell, slight raw sewage (as much as i'd like to joke, i seriously smelt it)

taste is bitter, offensive even, almost like a double of a macro beer, but double the adjuncts, after multiple drinks it goes down easier based on numbing the palate, high carbonation is good and brings out a crispness, other than that there's not much else i can say.

mouthfeel is crisp from carbonation but offensive from everything else, lingering gross adjunct-y flavor makes the mouth go downhill. drinkablity is low indeed. (711 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Another malt liquor like you really need another one after Hurricane...appears a clear glden tone with a large white head leaves behind even lace but it dwindles quickly. Aroma has a slight metallic grainy note that has a sort of semi sweet alcohol corn and rice appeal to it and of course cooked veggies with a touch of fruity tart apple. Flavors collide to form a harsh metallic grainy offness on the palate wow this is rediculous has how bad it is but a mild sweet tone with evident alcohol and finishes with a very chemical edge to it, definitely will induce a headache drinking this stuff on the regular. Mouthfeel has high carbonation light bodied some stickiness to it all but c'mon another beer within the same damn style. Drinkability mass produced malt liquor beer you buy when your broke and don't care about taste...what more can be said this one sucks. (865 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Pours a clear yellow with a fizzy white mousse that doesn't last any length of time. Honestly, I'm wondering why I even bothered pouring this into a glass.

S: Grain husks, roasted corn, and grassy, herbal hops mingle with metallic and fuel-like aromas. This smells simply awful...

T: At first, notes of mineral water, grain husks, roasted corn, grass, herbs, and cooked vegetables are easy to spot, but they are soon joined by a metallic tang and what can only be described as a kerosene flavor. The finish is prickly and harsh with mineral, grain husk, fuel, metal, and corn flavors.

M: Light bodied, dry, and spritzy. It feels gravelly in the mouth. Not drinkable in the least.

O: This is awful even by malt liquor standards. I think I may have been overly generous when I gave this monstrosity scores of 1.5 across the board. This may very well be the worst beer I've ever tried. (889 characters)

King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch