King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

rAvg: 2
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.00% ABV

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev +51.5%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts and corn. Taste is malty with some corn, fairly smooth, not overpowering with alcohol. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is not a bad beer for this style.

tone77, Nov 14, 2009
2.28/5  rDev +14%

This is my first ever malt liquor; not something I ever wanted to try, but everything in its time and all that. Honestly, it was bad, but not as heinous as I was afraid it would be.

The color is pale, of course, golden-yellow. The head isn't much more than foam but is constant, and of course leaves very minimal tiny patches of the very thinnest lacing in maybe two spots.
The smell is corn husk, some alcohol and very mild grains. Perhaps a touch of something tart with a subtle sweetness.
Corn is most of the flavor with an alcohol kick. Underneath is a grains flavor and malts are very much subdued; hops are incredibly difficult to detect and there's an herbal funk as well here.
The body is light, though not as light as I'd have thought, bordering on medium. It's crisp and surprisingly smooth, with a carbonation that's almost overactive but manages to stay within bounds. I wouldn't call the mouthfeel good, but it almost is, and it is just above average.
Drinkability, on the other hand, is just on the wrong side of average.

Brenden, Nov 02, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +30%

Yeah, i understand, this isn't a brew I'd put down with some food either, but give it respect for what it is:
A collage brew.

Other than Natrual Ice, there isn't a beer that can compete with its amazing drinkability, tolerable taste, and price. At my local deli, 4.50$ for a 6 pack, 16oz cans. With the 5.9 ABV, this is equivalent to putting down around 9-10 macro lights, like coors or bud light. Your not getting a buzz cheaper or better than this.

Give it respect for what it is, a collage beer. A damn fine one.

justince, Sep 09, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +36.5%

Clear light gold with a small white head. The nose is green apple skin and untoasted grain. Grits, sour apple skin and bubblegum with a funky hop bitterness in the finish. Light bodied and watery. Effervescent carbonation. Drinkable and inoffensive but more of an "ice" beer than malt liquor IMO.

biggred1, Sep 07, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +49%

I don't know what kind of premium you expect for $1.59 for a 40 oz. Its only 6% abv which is not very high considering the other malt liquors in this price range (ex. evil eye-10% , axe head-11% side pocket-10.5%)

A- Gold light gold color. In a clear 40oz bottle.

S- Smelled kinda yeasty semi-sweet

T- Corn nothing amazing nothing bad, better than other cheap beers and malts. Smooth

M- Decently carb'd pretty watery.

D- Very drinkable taking big pulls is an easy task.

In the 40oz malt liquor department this is my weapon of choice. Most taste terrible, but this is acceptable.

minnunderground, Jul 13, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The second of our "cheap beers" on game night. Poured from a big 40oz bottle into my pint.

Pours a orange-tinted yellow with a good sized off-white head on top. Retention was lacking and there was little to no lacing present. Smells of grains, bread, and sweet fruits, surprisingly.

Mouth was a little thin, but there was just enough carbonation to be enjoyable. Flavor was of sweet malts and hints of caramel. Not bad. I preferred the Colt 45 that we 'enjoyed' last week more than this, but this is alright. It gets the job done. It's big, cheap, and highly drinkable.

Onenote81, Jul 08, 2009
2.42/5  rDev +21%

Yes, sir, once again it's forty-ounces-of-beer-and-a-C-cup-blonde night at my place. Truth be told, it's one of my favorite nights! Though the girl is the same this time the malt liquor was all-new, and out of the bottle it was a pale golden color with good clarity and a nice amount of rising carbonation. My aggressive pour yielded three-fingers worth of slightly yellow tinted head that retained rather well and left pretty good lacing. The aroma was of macro grains, stale malt and alcohol. The flavors were generic and grainy with alcohol notes (especially as it warmed) some dry malt and a little sourness. The finish was bitter and a little unpleasant. The mouthfeel was average and a little slick, the body medium/light and the carbonation a little high. So fine, the beer sucked. But my female companion did too. I had no complaints.

thekevlarkid, Jul 06, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -5%

Malt Liquors are generally horrible, but effective brews designed to get you drunk. King Cobra is easily among the most foul. It's a got a sickening corn sweetness which lasts only for a few seconds. Its right about this point where the King Cobra is unleashed upon your taste buds. You're instantly hit with a sourness and bitterness from the absolute worst hop flavor imaginable. It's like a used hop flavor mixed in with dirty tennis shoe. The entire experience is horrible, but luckily goes away quickly, much like the sweetness of the brew. This is a beverage which should ONLY be consumed if you are dirt poor and or are preparing for a new career as a bum. In either case though, you're better off spending a tad more money for a better malt liquor.

Tekka, May 02, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +77.5%

Poured into a drinking horn (cow). Smells of clean-burning, all American corn. I suspect this corn came from America's heartland, but I can't tell simply from the nose. Tastes slick, fusely, and corny (I'm now sure this corn came from America's heartland). Taken in unison, I'd say these flavors make it taste smooth. But I won't let the smooth taste fool me... This malt liquor packs a 'king' sized wallop.

drunkboxer1, Apr 28, 2009
2.23/5  rDev +11.5%

Haha found this laying around...

A- Very carbonated, little to no head that rapidly fades. Looks like ginger ale.

S- Sweet malt, stronger than I would expect. Nothing great, but kind of pleasant actually.

T/M- Sweet, bready malt. That's it. Watery, clean finish.

D- Could have a lot of this... definitely one for drinking games or to just get drunk.

LordAdmNelson, Apr 03, 2009
2/5  rDev 0%

Poured this 40 oz. bottle into a pint glass (not my usual method of drinking this one).

This beer poured a light copper/yellow color, with lots of clarity. Even with a proper pour there was a really soap suddy three finger head. Loads of carbonation rised from the top of this brew.

This beer provided barely any good aroma. I smelled yeast and cheap ingredients through out.

The taste is not that bad. This style of beverage is not really about taste, however as far as malt liquor goes this one tends to fare better with the lighter abv.

The mouthfeel represented the malt liquor style. It feels like a mild adjunct lager with a small alcohol burn afterwards.

I decided to rate this drinkability on the high side. As far as malt liquors go, I could definitely drink one of these before going out for the night. If I needed to drink on the cheap, it really isn't bad.

Final Thoughts - I am rating it based on the style. This is not craft brewing at is finest. In fact it comes out to roughly 60 cents a beer. This beer is cheap, but I have had worse.

bsend, Mar 26, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +26.5%

Poured from a clear 40 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Abv of 6.0%.

Big fizzy off-white head with a clear bright yellow body. No lacing but the carbonation is alright. Looks good enough I guess. The smell is mostly corn adjuncts. It has a light enough taste and feel to make it fairly easily drinkable, and I suppose that's the whole point of this beer. Carbonation petered out to early and the mouthfeel suffered for it.

BierFan, Mar 23, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +45%

portion of a 40oz bottle poured into a small mickey mouse glass. the rest was consumed by friend.

A - amber color. no head. It was a small pour, so I'm not going to give it a shitty appearance rating.

S - corn, slightly sweet malt. nothing else. it didn't smell bad like other AB abominations, but it didn't really smell at all!

T - corn, sweet malt, a touch of alcohol. The taste is by no means enjoyable, but it's strong than cheap beer, and it tastes better than cheap beer, so if I wanted to, I could pound it.

M - not good. i'll leave it at that.

D - I could easy drink a lot of this if I wanted to, but I have a feeling that my anus will regret it. It's not enjoyable at all, but I don't find it at all offensive.

bowersdm, Mar 09, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +86.5%

Poured some from a 40oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears pale gold with a very thin head that reduces very quickly to a ring. Medium carbonation and no lacing. Smells of cooked vegetables, rice, some tart grapes, and a lite strange sweet aroma that reminds me of a freshly opened pack of gummy bears. Pretty clean, some stale malt, a touch of alcohol, and a sweet maltyness as it warms. Nothing offensive.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of very sweet bread like maltyness, tart grapes and a hint of alcohol. Watery and almost tasteless finish, but finishes with a rice and stale bread flavor (Not offensive) Cooked vegetables, no bitterness, and overall not much flavor. No change as it warms. Mouthfeel is a little smooth, kind of thin & watery. Some lively carbonation on the palate, lite-medium bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well overall this malt liquor is very drinkable with no disgusting aromas or flavors as it warms, like other malt liquors. King Cobra has a very smooth and clean taste. That being said, I would of appreciated more flavor. I didn't like its watery clean, and rice like finish. On the other hand, I guess you could take swigs off your 40 slowly & comfortably, without worrying about letting it warm.

Pretty decent, nothing offensive, Id say give it a try. Cheers!

PintOHops, Feb 03, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -17.5%

It's my hobby and I'll review whatever the fuck I want.

That being said, this wasn't one of my better ideas. Pours completely clear. Barely colored at all with a goldish tint. Head sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies. Unattractive.

Smells like your standard shitty beer, amplified a little. Unappealing.

Tastes pretty bad. Worse than budlight to give an idea. Unpleasant.

Funny how the bottle says smooth tasting. I would say it's rough tasting. Very rough. Bothersome even. Produces instant burps that smell like bile, as if my stomach is attempting to fight this shit off, or out. Unsmooth.

Overall: a truly terrible beverage

PatronWizard, Feb 01, 2009
2.5/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Too much good beer lately, needed to ghetto it up a bit. Consumed a few days ago, reviewed from notes (that's right, I took notes on malt liquor).

Appearance: Clear pale yellow, looks like delicious corn water. Head retention is horrendous despite massive amounts of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, grainy and adjunct-laden. Slightly sulfuric. Signature malt liquor aroma.

Taste & mouthfeel: Light bodied, corny, somewhat slick on the palate. Moderate sweetness persists through the finish. Not as dry as the better malt liquors out there, and as such not as easy to drink. Best served at near-freezing temperatures in order to numb the taste buds.

largadeer, Jan 31, 2009
3.41/5  rDev +70.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours rich clear gold with a modest white head and good lacings. Aroma is mild malts and a touch of corn. Taste is sweet malts with a typical macro amount of hops. Palate is just right carbonation for the style. The 6% is just right for a ML. This is the best mass produced beer that AB makes IMO. This is probably what Bud should taste like with maybe a touch more hops. Amazingly corny belches! From a 24 ounce can with a born on date of Jan. 9, 2009. So it was about two weeks old. Best tasting malt liquor I've had.

07-31-2014. From a 25 ounce can with new artwork. Had to down rate for appearance. Still has a big head but leaves quickly with no lacing. Taste is slightly down rated due to grape skin intruding somewhat. Still smooth and easy drinking once you get past the first couple of sips.
No longer the best M.L. I've had. just slightly better than average.

About two months old. No grape skin flavors this time. Better than average M.L.

Spikester, Jan 23, 2009
2.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Got this as a joke gift for a New Beer Sunday. Poured the 24 oz tallboy can into a pint glass. I'm going to try to objectively review this as best I can.

A - Pours out a transparent golden-yellow color. Huge foaming head that has surprisingly good retention and solid lacing. Massive amounts of carbonation present - the sides of the glass are covered in bubbles. I'm getting bloated just looking at this - but all joking aside, other than the obligatory urine reference this doesn't look all that bad. I've seen worse looking brews...

S - Yuck - I had to take a second whiff just to be sure. It smells like metal, but with a hint of corn sweetness. There's actually a little bit of spice in there, but I'm not sure what is causing it. It's pretty bad.

T - This is bone-chillingly cold, so it doesn't taste like much. There's a little bit of sweetness at the back end. The smell is actually much worse than the taste, although I suspect if I left it out it'd get worse. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, as I don't want to wait around just to find out.

M - Watery, thin, overly carbonated - not really much going for it. I guess it isn't gritty, chalky, or sludgy. The texture isn't gag-inducing. Largely neutral here.

D - There is no way I could drink a 24oz can. I'm getting bloated after a few sips, and my stomach is beginning to feel a little funny. The huge can is sitting there mocking me, so I'm just gonna give up and pour this guy out.

If this were the only thing available on a hot summer day at the ballpark I might be able to force down 8oz, but as it stands I don't see any good reason to subject my body to this punishment. Perhaps this will aid in unclogging my bathtub...

Not the worst thing I've ever tried, but pretty bad nonetheless.

MasterSki, Jan 20, 2009
2.5/5  rDev +25%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Typical pale golden in color, completely clear. A finger of head pops up and dissipates quickly leaving some tiny strands of lace.

S - Lots of grainy aroma with a touch of DMS. There's also an overlying sweetness that's sort of pleasant.

T - Inoffensive but bland for the style. Very seltzer-like throughout most of the taste. Late palate there's a light, watery tea note with a smidge of sourness. There's a hidden graininess but it has little bearing on the almost nonexistent flavor.

M - High carbonation with a relatively light body. Both factors contribute to percieved lack of taste.

D - An ok example of the style. King Cobra is another malt liquor that better deserves it's spot among American macros. However there really isn't anything bad about this brew, just some things missing from the malt liquor standpoint.

PatrickJR, Jan 06, 2009
1.53/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

It's not so much that this is horrible, but it is like an extremely light lager with poorly hidden alcohol and that's just not very good. There's just almost nothing positive to say about the beer. It could certainly be worse. I had a sip of Joose, an energy drink/flavored malt beverage, and that deserves a score a few points lower across the board than this beer (a technically impossible negative numeric score, but then it should be classified as a sin against humanity rather a beverage). Anyway, King Cobra looks ok. It has a very unexciting look, incredibly clear pale gold with some ugly white lacing. The nose is metallic, alcoholic and corny. It makes some adjunct lagers taste malty. Then again, it's not patently offensive. I wouldn't slap someone in the face for giving me a glass of it. It just tastes like very cheap beer made with little to no care for flavor. The flavor is mild with notes of metal, corn/rice which comes out a bit biscuity in a bad way, and too much alcohol for the body. The feel is thin and mildly gag-inducing. The alcohol and other bad qualities grow as I make my way through a glass. Speaking of which, Duvel please forgive me for misusing your tulip so. All in all, I would pass if this were the only thing on the menu and it was free, but I wouldn't punch someone in the face for giving me one. That might not sound like a compliment, but I'm working up to my Bud Chelada review.

popery, Dec 22, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -3.5%

The aroma is like rubbing alcohol and corn malt no detectable hops. The appearance is pale gold with a large head that falls to a thin foam. The taste is pure corn malt with rubbing alcohol just like the aroma. The palate is thin and just like most malt liquors. Overall it's no good.

nick76, Nov 23, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -8.5%

Large can poured into a pint glass.

It actually does not look bad, light golden, big white head, average retention and even some lacing, although not much.
Nose, like the taste, leaves something to be desired. I am not sure if rice is a part of the recipe, but feels like it. Aroma is a mixture of alcohol and the smell from boiling rice - not bad, just does not feel like beer.
Taste feels like a lot of alcohol with a lot of sugar; not bad but certainly not good; I can see this being used to get drunk, but by no means as a way to enjoy beer. Straight drainpour for me.

brdc, Nov 15, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -8.5%

This beer is for the sole purpose of getting drunk. the smell, taste, appearance and everything is rubbish. I am drinking a forty of it. Its bad. Don't drink this uness you are about out go out for a night on the town and are short on cash. Its beer and of course for the reason for drinking, its drinkable, but friends don't let friends drink king cobra.

lastnightintown2, Oct 19, 2008

I wish I could vote a "0" here. Well, maybe not, because then Milwaukee's Beast would be rated higher and we just can't have that. I'll tell you what though, those looking for a quick drunk for the price, here you go... this is SOOO cheap. Then again, do you even want to drink stuff that's this cheap? What do they put in it anyways? Nevermind, don't want to know. This is a hangover waiting to happen.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -28.5%

Yes, it has alcohol in it. Yes, it will get you a buzz for little dough. My main complaint is the taste. Normally, with cheap brews like this, you get at least some kinda funky aftertaste or something, but with King Cobra, nothing. Tastes like water with a hardly any malt or anything. It's like Busch just gave up after putting alcohol and coloring in the bottle. I paid 1.19$ for 40 oz. of this??

mrhiccups, Aug 12, 2008