King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  6.00% ABV

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor Alström Bros
pentathlete

2.53/5  rDev +25.9%

Crystal clear light yellow with plenty of carbonation. Nothing special, nothing bad here. There is a modicum of malt in the nose, but the adjuncts, maybe corn?, appear also. I was expecting refrigerated liquified sterno for the taste, but instead was met with a clean, light bodied lager taste. There was a bit of alcohol at the end and the riciness was clear in the crispy and thinning mouthfeel. This was not as terrible as I had expected. It did taste different than its sister Hurricane (which was much more "fuel" flavored.) Certainly nothing I would buy or recommend, but if you are looking for something to compare a craft malt liquor such as Daddy's Little Helper or Liquor de Malt then this is worth the $1.50 or so you'll pay for a 40 ounce bottle. Available at finer highway gas stations where beer is sold.

02-03-2007 22:22:18 | More by pentathlete
mattsg

1.88/5  rDev -6.5%

A pretty rough brew. On the bottle it claims it is malt liquor, however, it tastes like kerosene, but it is tolerable if you're low on cash. You can buy three of them for around 5 bucks, so if you just want to get drunk, it's a pretty dang good choice.

01-24-2007 05:04:34 | More by mattsg
dedrinker

Kansas

2.98/5  rDev +48.3%

I have battled many cobras, and usurped many a king, but never had I topped myself by going toe to toe with the King Cobra. I met a 19 year old girl from West Virginia who confessed that her favorite was King Cobra and Sparks. And some think women have no guts for the beer battlefield. First, before we add our assent to previous reviews, one must know the proper way to "coax" this dangerous serpent out of its basket. If a hand held wind, reed, or brass instrument is not available, play "The Payback" album by James Brown on your stereo. Drink cool and allow to get warm by mid-serving in order for the venom to take optimal effect. If three of these do not wipe out all vestiges of your inner prevaricating beer geeky self, then you have no soul left to save.

01-16-2007 00:35:39 | More by dedrinker
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

1.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Another malt liquor like you really need another one after Hurricane...appears a clear glden tone with a large white head leaves behind even lace but it dwindles quickly. Aroma has a slight metallic grainy note that has a sort of semi sweet alcohol corn and rice appeal to it and of course cooked veggies with a touch of fruity tart apple. Flavors collide to form a harsh metallic grainy offness on the palate wow this is rediculous has how bad it is but a mild sweet tone with evident alcohol and finishes with a very chemical edge to it, definitely will induce a headache drinking this stuff on the regular. Mouthfeel has high carbonation light bodied some stickiness to it all but c'mon another beer within the same damn style. Drinkability mass produced malt liquor beer you buy when your broke and don't care about taste...what more can be said this one sucks.

12-11-2006 11:46:45 | More by WVbeergeek
Neehan

2.2/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a pale, straw-yellow into the glass. This is somewhat misleading as it appears to be a darker, near-bronze in the bottle because of the clear glass and the dark label shadowing the yellow beer. The best part of the appearance is some good retention, but on a second-rate head. As for the smell, it's virtually non-existant. A very faint whiff of malts and that's about it. The taste is malty and smooth but again lacks in substance. The mouthfeel just screams AB at you. Drinkable, if you can tolerate the taste after a while.

11-28-2006 04:38:40 | More by Neehan
pmcadamis

1.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Picked up this 40oz for a buck and a half at the gas station...definitely can't beat the price, and it came in a lovely brown paper bag.

A - Piss yellow and ultra clear. About two fingers of foam rose and fell like the Roman empire.

S - Absolutely the most nasty smelling beverage I've come across. My girlfriend sniffed it and immediately remarked that it smells like baby poop. Gross. Smells like sour armpit sweat....I hate being this mean, but it really does. I can almost smell what seems like an attempt at some saaz hop peppery notes, but it's really more like B.O.

T - Tastes blank and unoffensive at first sip, then the sweet syrupy taste of cooked corn comes in after you swallow. Actually less offensive than some other malt liquor 40s I've had, but also less distinctive. Sort of tastes like concentrated Bud Light left outside overnight....yes, sadly I have had a breakfast of champions at a campsite and drank open beers from the night before upon rising.

M - Medium bodied, alcoholy and firm in the mouth. It may not be a very good mouthfeel, but it's anything but watery...and watery is the worst thing a beer can be.

D - Very low, unless you are on a budget. This stuff sure does what it claims to do...I drank this while watching a movie and by the end of "Cheaper by the Dozen" I was pretty damn cooked. I must say that it's one of the better 40 oz cheapo brews though.

11-27-2006 05:49:25 | More by pmcadamis
quasimoto

I am reviewing this totally to the style guide lines.
A - Bright gold color. Very little head.

S - there is very little aroma for this beer. What there is, a little corny flavor, and some musty cardboard.

T - Light watery roasted corn, and straight up sugar. Very odd taste.

M - Light and watery. Thin body.

D - FOr the style it is very drinkable. For a beer, id rather go with some flavor.

11-21-2006 23:01:26 | More by quasimoto
mnesporov

2.38/5  rDev +18.4%

Presentation: 22oz twist of bottle with a Born on Date, for freshness.

Appearance: Dull yellow with a high level of visible carbonation from all the bubbles rising up.

Smell: Smells like corn with a hint of grains and alcohol

Taste: Very little hop bitterness with a lot of grain and corn flavor.

Mouth-Feel: A light bodied brew with a nice clean finish.

Drink-Ability: If you like water with alcohol and a little corn flavor then go for it.

Notes: Drank strait from the bottle no pouring going on here.

11-17-2006 16:28:47 | More by mnesporov
Bighuge

3.75/5  rDev +86.6%

Pale gold. Tan head. Little lace. Aroma is a nice blend of crisp, cool freshness, exotic spices, sensual woods, and seductive musk. It gives a fresh warm sensation. The flavor really surprised me. Sexy citrus, lavender and woods. Top notes play with pistachio leaves, iced lavender, Chinese ginger, and mandarin peel. Following up are middle notes of celery greens, wild tiger lily, Indian basil, and Kashmir saffron. The finale comes clean with brisk bristlecone pine, patchouli, and clear musk notes. Interesting to say the least.

10-17-2006 02:48:41 | More by Bighuge
scottoale

2.03/5  rDev +1%

Had this gem at a friends...never tried it before. From the 24oz. can (less the paper bag) with a Born On* Date of: 03JUL06 and an ABV of 6%, it pours a light yellow-gold straw liquid, with a snow-white foamy cap.The head dwindles quickly leaving some slippery bubble lace that turns to spots. Ample Co2 carbonation connot keep the head up to more than a film and ring around the glass.

Sweet corn with a faint grain, followed by a chalky blunt...hop? Smells too sweet and nasty alcoholic fumes rise as it warms.

The flavor is no different or better than the smell, sweet and full of corn adjunct and probably rice as well...tastes closer to corn liquor, than MALT liquor. Sure hope I never have to develope a taste for this stuff.

Thin, watery corn syrup with a light-medium body, the mouthfeel is undesirable. Drinkability...the same.

I thanked my friend for this "Smooth tasting Premium Malt Liquor naturally brewed from select ingredients for MY drinking pleasure and complete satisfaction." Next time I'll opt. for the glass of water...thanks.

09-07-2006 20:01:20 | More by scottoale
HoustonTX

2.88/5  rDev +43.3%

Had one of these on the way to campground this weekend. For $1.00, this was not half bad. King Cobra is light to mid-bodied, with what I like to call a "sting". Got a bit of an alcoholic kick to it. The snake does not play around, and right around 6% it gets the job done. Heavy malt, but not excessively sweet. Quite balanced, with a sweeping discreet hop bitter, that balances it out. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability is superb. I am a sucker for new beers, and this one definitely caught my eye. In all honesty this brew suprised me, I was expecting much worse.

08-10-2006 01:22:25 | More by HoustonTX
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

1.45/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance: Not as bad as some beers (cough cough Bud Light cough), but pretty weak. Fluffy white head with surprisingly good retention sits a top a golden honey-yellow body with lively, mesmerizing bubbles.

Smell: There's something about this beer that really reminds me of the breath of someone with a cold or the flu. It's funky, sour, musty, skunky... awful, really. This is one best drank ice cold, and straight from the bottle.

Taste: Odd... kind of fruity, actually. Slightly bitter and dry like raw flour. Overall, pretty bland and weak, but definitely has presence.

Mouthfeel: Although the beer is paper-thin, the bubbles form a frothy and surprisingly full mouthfeel. This is definitely the beer's strong point.

Drinkability: This is really not very good, but hey... it was $1.29. What did I expect? I am worried, however, that I won't be able to finish all 32 ounces.

03-04-2006 22:00:23 | More by soulgrowl
acrawf6

Louisiana

2.28/5  rDev +13.4%

Ahh my first 40 ever.
Twisted the top off the 40oz clear bottle with freshness dae of Jan 11, 06. The color of the beer doesnt look so bad, but that because of the wide bottle. First sip was from bottle as i think this is the natural way for the style. More flavor than i expected, but not exaclty a good thing. Alcohol is present, and gives it a fuller mouthfeel. A malty sweetness and lots of grains in this one. I feel guilty for reviewing this beer because i could be spending my time reviewing a beer worth reviewing. But this isnt as bad as i thought it would be. for $1.50 this isnt a beer i would get again, but if i had to choose this or a 40oz. bud for a dollar more, i might pick the bargain. nuff said on this crap.

02-16-2006 02:54:00 | More by acrawf6
CaskofFlyingDog

Tennessee

1.95/5  rDev -3%

King Cobra Malt Beverage 32. oz. $1.39
Served at extremely cold. Head is actually gross looking. Looks like soap bubbles. Served from 32 oz non returneable bottle. Smells like burnt nastiness. Tastes like cardboard. It really does. Very fizzy. After a few sips it tastes like cardboard dubbed with dogcrap.

02-05-2006 03:09:07 | More by CaskofFlyingDog
tesguino

Mexico

3.38/5  rDev +68.2%

A beer made for the afroamericans consumers, without offense, is rare in my country, only sold in usa, i buy in the border, appearance, smell and drinkability its over the average, its taste is rich in sugar flavor, mouthfeel different like a german malt liquor, not recommended with food, only with buddies.

10-12-2005 16:39:47 | More by tesguino
Pegasus

2.5/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance: Crystal-clear medium golden color with a large white head, which soon collapses to a small white ring at the glass walls. The lacing is scattered and patchy. There are profuse streams of fast-rising carbonation, but these do nothing to stop the collapse of the head.

Aroma: Faint cooked corn, alcohol, and some weak hops, overall, very little aroma, not so much inoffensive as absent.

Taste: Very light taste, little but alcohol and cooked corn and tartness throughout, with a mild hop bitterness at the finish. There is little of the sweet flavor usually found in malt liquor. In all, the taste is like a light beer with more of an alcohol punch.

Mouth feel: Fairly thin and watery, with some stinging carbonation, far less full bodied than most malt liquor.

Drinkability/notes: Not terrible certainly, and a bargain at ninety-nine cents for a twenty-four ounce can, but I feel no great compulsion to try it again, although it is certainly not bad enough to be avoided. A lesser example of a style that I find some merit in.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a standard pint tap glass.

08-28-2005 18:20:06 | More by Pegasus
DogFood11

Got Bored at work today so on my lunch break I made my way down to the corner store looking for a decent lunchtime brew. As I browsed the cooler I came to the realization that not only was there no local/micro brews but there wasn't even a decent imported brew. So I figured what the hell I'll review a malt liquor 40oz'er.

No Head to speak/ No lacing of any kind. Humongous carbonation bubbles. I dont think I've ever seen carbonation quite like this...a constant stream of different size bubbles with the biggest reminding me of when I go to the water cooler and big burping pockets of air rise to the top. Straw color and completely clear.

Watered down taste. I'm surprised to see it is 5.9% as it seems like I'm drinking a glass of juice. It has the mouthfeel of carbonated apple juice mixed 50/50 with water. finishes with an off corn flavor and its gone. Towards the end of this 40 it gets syrupy and is almost undrinkable as it warms. Avoid.

08-22-2005 20:00:56 | More by DogFood11
TastyTaste

1.15/5  rDev -42.8%

Oh, how bad. This is the second worst malt liquor I have had in my life. Skunky and rotten, high abv and cloying in every sene of the words. Cliche yellow color, aroma and taste make you gag. Very bad, this is definitely a can of beer to get drunk with on a budget. (Roughly $1.19 a 24 oz. can)

07-01-2005 04:04:23 | More by TastyTaste
OStrungT

1.88/5  rDev -6.5%

First off, let me explain how I cam across this bottle. I used to drink 40's of this stuff when I was like 15. They cost about 89 cents a bottle. I thought I was cool. Now, 9 years later, I have a slightly different apreciation for beer. I told some friends of mine that I used to drink this stuff, and they thought that was very funny. The other day, I threw a party, and one of my friends bought me a 40 to be funny. I decided to review it for old times sake. So here goes.

This beer pours a very light straw colored yellow. It looks like water with a little food coloring to it. The head is white and lifeless. It fades very quick leaving no laces. The first thing I think of when I smell this stuff is rotting sewage. It smells like rotton corn and dirty water. I dont smell any hops. I dont smell any redeaming qualities at all. I am slightly scared to taste this stuff again. First taste isnt too bad. Not good by any means, but not as bad as I expected. It has a corn flavor. I guess that would be because it is made with corn. It is not hoppy at all. I detect absolutely no spicy flavor. Also, I cant taste any malty flavors. It tastes very much like everything that Anheuser-Busch makes. This beer is carbonated decently, I guess. It would, in my opinion, make an awfull session beer. I will probably never drink it again. It is low in alcohol, though, so to those that like Anheuser-Busch products, it might be a good session beer. I know I used to drink 4 or 5 40's in a night, much to my regrets in the morning. I would recomend staying away from this one. Stick to urine. It probably tastes better.

06-21-2005 01:39:00 | More by OStrungT
Luigi

Pale yellow color with a thin lace for a head. A lot of carbonation. Smells like sweet corn and a bit of grassy grains. Light bodied. Taste like sweet corn and grassy grains. Has a warm alcohol effect. Hmmm.... well this beer was the first beer I had ever tasted (and that was when I was about 12). Not much has changed since then. If you want a cheap buzz with minimal flavor then this is your beer.

04-06-2005 07:13:41 | More by Luigi
Tballz420

The names king cobra, and i gotta agree, this stuff looks pretty poisonous. Comes in a 24 ounce can, never the sign of a quality brew. Smells like snake venom. Holy smokes, the taste is rough. Damn ive admittedly had some extremely bad beers, but this one is probably as bad as they get (excluding cave creek of course). After further consideration, beside the cave creek this is hands down the worst beer that i have had. It sinks its fangs in you deep and trys to kill you

02-25-2005 20:44:17 | More by Tballz420
SetarconeX

2.23/5  rDev +10.9%

One of the more drinkable lagers in the malt liquor "beer for hobos" catagory. Looks a tad syrupy, but with an unusually light hue. Smells like alcohol a little more than I'd really like.

Tastes like liquid corn. Really not a whole lot to this one, as far as flavor. Still, the bare fact that it doesn't taste outright putrid is something to be proud of with a malt Liquor. Could be a lot worse. Basically, tastes like one of Anheuser-Busch's standard offerings, only with the alcohol jacked up.

12-17-2004 05:26:40 | More by SetarconeX
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.65/5  rDev -17.9%

Sampled from a 24 oz. can that is 'cooler' than most, especially if you dress all in black, have a heavy chain on your wallet and homemade tattoos on your hands. Pale amber-gold with a bright white head that has a surprising amount of substance and persistence. Pathetic lace, but some does manage to stick.

The aroma is inoffensive, but that doesn't mean that it's appealing in any way. It consists of sweet corn, cereal grains and an off-aroma that I can't quite place. No sourness and no skunkiness.

The flavor is another matter entirely. Sharply bitter, harsh, undermalted, thin and mineral-like seems to cover it pretty well. It stops short of grimace-inducing, but barely. I know that I've asked this question before, but why would any brewer with even an ounce of talent (and I'm sure those at A-B have plenty) brew liquid swill like this?

I'm sure that by throwing millions of dollars into advertising, they could manage to gradually wean macro drinkers onto decent tasting beer. Why should I care, right? More power to whoever buys and enjoys this 'beer'. You too can be cool, just make sure that people see you with the bitchin' can!

King Cobra should die a quick and painless death (I'm not completely heartless). Where's a pissed off mongoose when you need one?

09-17-2004 15:25:58 | More by BuckeyeNation
brewdlyhooked13

2.05/5  rDev +2%

It's Friday night and the 24 ounce snake wants outta his can, so I suppose I will finally oblige.

Appearance - poured into a Bud pilsner glass with a light yellow colored skin. It rears up and foams at the mouth a bit, a fingerbite's worth of crispy, frothy foam around its fanged head. However, I have somehow unwittingly charmed this thing as it settles down quickly. What'd I do? This critter doesn't look nearly as imposing in the glass as it does in the can basket. Some stray lacing.

Aroma - a very light aroma of sweet grain and corn husk. Nothing bad, it's just that I can barely pick up anything at all.

Taste - mostly hiss, not much bite. Baseless taste, some light graininess that is quickly overcome by bubbles (likely responsible for most head-bite incidents the morning after). Turns cereal-like with an alcohol aftertaste, geez is this a cobra or a cornsnake? Starts to wear out its welcome as it warms a little. Finishing this serpent off won't take much effort though as I've beat it down mostly while it was still cold.

Mouthfeel - thin body for a cobra but more smoothness than I expected given the high carbonation level.

Drinkability - I can't see it. This may have it's contingent, perhaps the diehard A-B crowd. From the can it's not bad, but it's lifeless for any purpose beyond basic inebriation.

07-14-2004 03:24:00 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Gagnonsux

2.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Bought two of these in 40 ounce bottles as a semi-gag for a friend's 21st birthday. Cost was $1.69 apiece. Appearance was standard cheap beer piss yellow with some carbonation. Smell was typical macro smell, I'm guessing adjuncts. Taste actually wasn't too bad, we were expecting worse. Didn't taste as strong as some malt liquors do, and was fairly sweet finishing. King Cobra was easy enough to drink for our purpose of the night, it seems about on par with many other macros. Anyway, I think anyone who gets this knows about what to expect.

By the way, King Cobra has the ugliest beer bottle I have ever seen. It has a dark snakeskin design on the label, with unatractive lettering. I guess its actually about perfect for this type of beer.

06-29-2004 15:26:54 | More by Gagnonsux