Busch Beer - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-20-2000

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Busch Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 415 | Hads: 1,508
1.06/5  rDev -52%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate golden color and actually has a bit of head. Smells like spent grain and a bit of bread. Tastes like grain husks. Quite light. Mouthfeel is really like with quite a bit of excess carbonation. Drinks very poorly. Nothing to bring me back for more and I didn't enjoy the first few sips. (323 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -16.3%

My tail-gating friends shared this beer with my after they polished off my Stone IPA's. I got a raw deal on that trade. This beer is truely fascinating--how can something be flavorless and bad at the same time. I don't know if water is bad--it's flavorless so I don't know. Anyhow, this adjuct laiden beer actually has a fair body--by guess is from high use of rice. Other cereal grains are present but light. Flavors and characters from hops and barley are absent. The beer is light of dry and naturally papery and metalic. Light flavors and textures disappear quickly with a watery wash. (589 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -24.4%

Pretty much the same as the light version. Yellow, Pale, Minimal aromas, no head after the pour. Boring. Mostly corn and very light barley taste and smell. It's hard to even rate this because i don't know what else I can say. I really don't plan on having this brew again. (272 characters)

Bottle: This is very similar to other macro beers except maybe a bit sweeter. I sometime wonder if people notice that macro beers all taste very similar in the end. Anyway, my uncle seems to really enjoy this last time I went to his place and I had this for a drink. (266 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -33%

More than just straw yellow (or is that less than?), Busch is *pale* straw yellow and is one of the lightest, non-light, non-low carb beers that I've ever seen. Just for fun, I read a few paragraphs from "All About Beer" through the glass. The blindingly white head is exceedingly light and airy, falls to a thin film in minutes and leaves the glass free of that pesky lace that only has to be washed off anyway.

The nose manages to be both weak and offensive, a neat trick. It smells like vegetable matter and mud mingled with a faint graininess. This is quite possibly the least aromatic adjunct lager nose yet, although probably not the worst. Might this be Busch Light in the wrong can?

There isn't a great deal of flavor, but what's there manages to offend. It tastes like sour, husk-riddled grain with a nasty finish that causes a minor, yet uncontrollable, grimace. Busch Beer gives new meaning to the phrase "I couldn't keep a straight face". Needless to say, the body is thin to the point of cachexia and the mouthfeel is indistinguishable from carbonated water.

I'm not sure why I bought this can. I think I had some grand designs on doing a comparison review that was ultimately done with Bud Ice and Natural Ice. Besides, it was getting well on past its 'born on' date so I thought I'd clear it out of my beer fridge. How I would tell if it was past its prime though, I haven't the foggiest idea. (1,419 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -3.6%

24oz can, the other half of the unholy duo from a last-minute rest stop purchase before crossing back into Canuckistan last month...is 'Busch' really a smooth-sounding name?

This beer pours a very, very pale golden yellow colour, with tons of puffy, and thinly foamy white head, which dissipates soon enough (debate if you must), leaving some random wisps of escaping soul lace around the glass.

It smells of sweet and grainy rice and corn, a bit of buttery diacetyl, and some mildly skunky, ok, I'll bite - hoppy weediness. The taste is more reservedly sweet rice/corn diluted grain pudding (speaking of unholy duos), some very mild, dulled beyond belief fruitiness, a hint of stale grassiness, and a stony, metallic edge.

The carbonation is quite high, but in a mostly fast-disappearing frothy sense, the effect on the top of the palate trivial at best, which confuses the perception of the otherwise thin as fuck body, making it seem fuller than it actually is, and the smoothness the same bullshit corporately-mandated plainness found anywhere and everywhere. It finishes off-dry, the lingering sweet cornfield graininess tempered somewhat by the metallic, almost, but not quite, fruity dryness.

Since I'm still talking about this, there must be something to say - there really wasn't much degradation as this one warmed, and though it's pretty much unimpressive all around, nothing overtly offensive arises, at the same rate. Mine was born on May 19, 2010, which puts this little exercise right on the cusp of tasting 'unfresh' - glad I dodged that bullet. The best I can say about this is, it's not really any worse than Bud, which seems barely worth the whole dollar I spent on this. (1,696 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -1.4%

Review from written notes, transcribed from a frozen screen during a live review. D'oh!

Into a mini-pint taster glass it pours a dull straw gold, with a thin layer of fizzy white suds sizzling on the surface. The foam completely evaporates, and soon enough it looks like a glass of urine or apple juice. Some feeble trails of carbonation are visible.

Smells vaguely of wet cardboard and cooked vegetables (DMS), some mild apple sweetness when swirled around. Tastes like cardboard or wet paper, apple juice, cooked veggies again. Mealy, tacky envelope glue texture, fizzy and overcarbonated. Chugged the last bit as there was no sink available at the party... RIP Hard Boiled Records... Thanks for the beer and memories Mark! (728 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Ok, so I am stuck on the beach. I really do not feel like going up to the bar, and the guys next to me have a cooler full of cans and offered to share, far be it from me to say no.

Wow, one of the lightest pours I have ever seen. Barely any color here at all, but loads of carbonation coming up to the service throughout the session leaving a constant little head of white sitting on the top of the glass. No lacing really to speak of either. Aroma is light corn and grain, not much else going on here. Light touch of bready grains, but stressing the lightness here for sure. Taste is clean, nearly flavorless finish with a crisp and smooth finish. Not much in the way of flavor a all, but when its cold it did its job.

I could not really recommend this one, but again I was on the beach for a week and this worked at that exact time. I could see it going either way though. (876 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours out a pale yellow color with a high amount of carbonation. Not much of a head and no lacing at all.

S - It smelled of corn and not much else.

T - It tasted somewhat watery and like corn. There was also an uncomfortable bitter aftertaste.

M - It was fairly thin and very light.

D - It could be worse. The aftertaste really got to me. A couple times it made my skin crawl. (385 characters)

2.43/5  rDev +10%

Ticked this fine product on New Year’s Eve. Pours incredibly pale yellow with a short lived white head. Smells strongly of corn and corn syrup with a touch of metal. Maybe some notes of green apple and straw. Decently sweet in terms of the flavor with quite a bit of corn to it. A touch watery with some of the same apple and straw notes. Not overly offensive, but not very good, either. (389 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: Clear bodied, thin-looking lager with only a scant tinge of yellow to it and capped with a thin layer of white fizz.

Smell: It doesn't smell like anything. Let me try again -- nothing. Let me hand the pint glass over to BA TheLibrarianGirl -- she confirms the nothingness. I always find it hard to assign a scoring value to something that doesn't smell like anything.

Taste: Teensy hint of weak-tasting cereal flavor and accompanying sweetness. Busch is pretty non-existent on the hop flavor and bitterness front. Finishes dry and empty with a small crackle of carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Nearly entirely devoid of flavor and character, it works to get some alcohol into the system, if that's your thing, and would presumably pair with essentially any foods as there are no conflicting flavors. (853 characters)

2.33/5  rDev +5.4%

A crystal clear and very light straw colored body is topped by a decent-sized head of creamy, bright-white foam. The retention is good and it maintains a creamy collar as well as leaving some transient lacing just above the level of the beer with each sip. The nose is limited but reveals a very mild note of malt amongst a light fruitiness. The body is light and it's quite crisp in the mouth due to a very fine median carbonation. The flavor reveals little more than the nose suggests, however, the limited amount of malt that's there does combine nicely with the mild fruitiness. It's not bitter, but it is highly attenuated leaving nothing behind to need balancing. There's obviously a good deal of adjunct being used here. Of course, this beer isn't about being a flavorful beer - it's about being a beer without flavor. It's obviously intended as a beer that can be consumed in mass quantities without leaving anything on the palate; and it succeeds with the exception of the alcohol that's necessarily present. Of course, the people that are drinking this are obviously looking for alcohol over flavor. It's very well crafted, but lacking in character. For my money, I'd rather have a light beer. (1,203 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color, with a very thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains light malts, adjuncts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of grain and adjuncts. Then a mild light malt sweetness comes in. The hops presence is very mild. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Not very smooth and a little crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down ok since there isn't much to it, not too filling, very mild kick, this beer is just not very good at all. There are some fairly bad beers out there that I think are better. (784 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Well, Busch and me go way back. This was the first party beer I had with my boys in high school, it was our town's definition of beer. So, it holds a special place in my heart, not a high place just a special place. This is my first Busch in the bottle and it's also my first Busch I have poured from a bottle or can other than from a keg into a plastic cup. So, here we go with a barely yellow faintess and very fizzy white head, this beer is definitely better tasting than Budweiser. No real hop aroma here just some malt sweetness with some corn and rice adjuncts tossed in along with a lot of artificial carbonation. It tastes mostly of sweet corn and rice adjuncts with a mild bitterness on the end classic American light lager. Very watery mouthfeel but that's all this beer attempts this is the reason our country is known for beers like this. When Budweiser tastes worse than their beer that is supposed to be swill, then you have a problem. For all my high school friends I raise my Busch to all of you, but this very well could be my last one. (1,053 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Born on 01Jul13. Acquired at a local 7-11; I'm stuck in a small town (Richfield) in Utah. 24 fl oz aluminum can with intricate label art served into a styrofoam cup in my hotel room. Expectations are as low as possible given the brewery. Reviewed live.

Served cold. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: Pours a fluffy head of white colour. Light creaminess. Pathetically thin. Body colour is a thin watery clear yellow of no vibrance whatsoever. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks awful. Retention is above average - about 3 minutes.

Sm: Clean barley. Straw. Cereals. Grains. Crisp. Watery swill. No hops, yeast, or alcohol are/is detectable. A weak pathetic aroma of light strength. Corn adjunct. Pretty shocked this isn't a light beer, to be honest. It could be more offensive than it is.

T: Weak barley. Cereals. Grainy. Straw. Husks. No hop profile or yeast character whatsoever. Zero depth of flavour. Intensity of flavour couldn't be lower. Flavour duration is low. Watery and imbalanced, but inoffensive. Some corn adjunct. Not getting any complexity or subtlety at all. I don't notice any overt off flavours, so that's a plus. About as bland and boring as a beer can be. Luckily, no alcohol comes through. Meh.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Weak, thin, watery. Poor execution. Suits the flavour profile okay; I mean at least I can get the beer down easily enough. It doesn't have the crisp, biting overcarbonation of even worse beers in the style, but it's overcarbonated.

Dr: Closer to water than any macro I can remember having recently. As such, it's got an above average drinkability in that you could down a pitcher with ease, but the lack of quality makes me not want to get another anytime soon - so that evens it out. Bland swill that hardly resembles real beer, but not offensive or awful. I think some are really attacking this beer just because of the brewery. Pretty poor stuff, but it's not terrible. I'd rather see this at a party than something like Tecate, for example. You could do far worse (or far better) at this price point.

D- (2,099 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -4.1%

"Born on date" 16 July 2006.

Poured light straw yellow with a thin white head that very quickly fizzled to nothing.

The smell was thin - some corn adjuncts.

The taste was extremely watery with a hint of adjuncts (esp. if warmer). Not much else is detectable - claims (on side of can) to have barley malt and hops, but...didn't notice.

It was thin - not far from lightly sweetened water.

Even for style, this is pretty bad. Cheap - but, you get what you pay for in this case. Better to spend the extra money and get something better. (547 characters)

The beer pours an ultra pale yellow color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light pale malt and adjunct scent along with a slightly musty lager yeast aroma. The taste is average. It has a weak pale malt flavor with some hop bitterness and a dry musty finish. Adjuncts are present along with a musty aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average as well. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is your typical macro lager. It's light and refreshing, but devoid of any real beer flavor and/or aroma. It's drinks well, if you mean you can drink a lot of them in one sitting. Otherwise, it's one and done for me. (670 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -24%

I CAN't believe how long it has been since I reviewed a CANned beer! The proximity of RichWood Manor to one of our local six-pack shops has renewed my interest in finding canned beers that I have not previously reviewed.

A good pour resulted in two fingers of foamy, bone-white head with low retention. The color was a pale lemon-yellow with a lot of bubbles. This must have been what Greg Koch had in mind when he mentioned "fizzy yellow beer ...". The nose had a light, lager-like sweetness, but I really had to inhale deeply to experience anything. The mouthfeel was thin and watery with a very mild lager taste on the tongue. It was slightly dry and refreshing in the finish, but I might as well have been drinking air. (724 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -34.4%

Appearance: pours a very light yellow color with a big white 2" head that breaks apart in several seconds.

Smell: some light corn and hay aroma is barely detectable.

Taste: hint of corn, some soft grassiness, and almost no discernable hop bitterness here. There is a hint of graininess here too.

Mouthfeel: light in body. Crisp and prickly throughout. Clean aftertaste.

Drinkability: figured this needed a try since the last one I had was 20 years ago in college. Couldn't even finish the glass. Just bland and dull. (522 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -8.1%

A - completely transparent; light yellowish color; large, frothy, white head that has good retention

S - grainy, metallic, warm

T - grainy, sweet, metallic, warm

M - thin, light bodied, crisp

From a glass this is foul. Metallic, sweet, grainy, gross. From a can, when ice cold, it's incredible drinkable. Cheap as dirt too. I wouldn't have reviewed this is someone hadn't left it in my fridge. I can't see me having this again. (431 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +39.8%

24 oz. can, bought at the local Albertsons' market,

A: Pours a pale yellow, but with a good head in a pilsner glass, great clarity, I could almost watch the Dodger game through the beer.

S: Weak, the weak point of this beer, some faint corn notes, but nothing much.

T: Surprisingly good for a macro lager, the corn flavour is light and not overbearing and cloying, a simple flavour, but effective, and I enjoyed it.

M: Light, but a good amount of carbonation leads to a spritzy feel, and a better coverage in the mouth than most macro lagers.

D: Good, a good macro lager beer, I went into this beer expecting to hate it, but you can't judge a book by its cover, and this turned out to be one of my favourite macro beers ever, I am now a Busch fan. (752 characters)

2.31/5  rDev +4.5%

Anheuser Busch : Busch Beer

APPEARANCE: Pale straw yellow , perfectly clear ultra filtered beer. Minimal head on what otherwise looks like a macro lager.

SMELL: A handful of dirty pennies with metallic aromas and perhaps some sweet cereal grains.

TASTE: Cereal grains and generic malt flavor upfront with a loose crispness. There is a flash of leafy processed hops and tame bitterness. Finishes with a slight tang.

FEEL: Light bodied, higher carbonation, only slightly watery.

OVERALL: Generic lager from the mega conglomerate. Still, it is ok for what it is. You could do worse. (584 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -1.4%

It's back to school in this college themed competition, the College Invitational! Four cheap tallboys that are popular at college parties find their way into my house and are here to do battle for which one offers the all-around package we expect from a beer, and a side bet of which one provides a good buzz! The first beer for the College Invite is AB's sub-premium lager, Busch Beer. Now let's get it on:

Poured into a Kronenbourg 1664 glass, it's very pale yellow in color, but a nice bubbly head rises from the body at first pour. This tastes like either a beefed up light beer, or a shrunken adjunct lager. Cereals and a very light bitterness make up the flavor in this beer, and yet it's more on the bland side. It starts to taste like cornbread when the beer is allowed to warm. Trust me, this is not fun to put down after you've had a few ounces of this.

The only reason why I finished the whole can was to check on it's buzzability. I give the Buzzability a 2.5 because I did feel a little bit lightheaded after this offering (I should note I ate a light dinner before this).

Busch scores adequately, by college standards. Funny thing is I'm a college student and I think this is garbage. Icehouse is coming up tomorrow in the College Invitational. (1,268 characters)

2.49/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 16 oz. tallboy into a weizen glass

Pale yellow (some would call it piss-colored) with a bit of suds Smells like DMS, lots of cooked vegetable with a little bready pale malt in the background. The flavor, while bland, isn't offensive, which is alway the threshold of bad beer. Instead this lends a light toast taste with a bit of lager tang which is almost fruity - sort of like an artificial fruit flavor. The carbonation is appropriate, not too sharp, not too flat, and while this beer isn't out and out offensive, I don't see myself drinking another. Still, considering the style, this could be a lot worse. (624 characters)

Pours a pale yellow brew, it beats Michelob Ultra.

Smell is mostly grain and a faint hop trace.

Taste is mildly sweet and corny, rice in there too.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable, it's not quite water, but less than bud.

It's drinkable, as a cheap in offensive Alcohol delivery device way. (296 characters)

Busch Beer from Anheuser-Busch