Busch Beer - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-20-2000)
View: Beers (78) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Busch Beer Alström Bros
Natural510

1.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Along with Budweiser, this was my first introduction to beer as a teenager. It also led me to believe, at the time, all beer was nasty. It wasn't until adulthood I realized, if you are introduced to crap beer at a young age, you will assume all beer is crap.

Here is my overall philosophy regarding Busch beer: not only is it the worst beer I've ever tasted, it is brewed by AB specifically to make their other beers taste better by comparison. This beer has all the negative qualities you could find in something labeled "beer": pale, seltzer-like color, skunky smell, sour taste, sick feeling after drinking it.

When you're 14 years old, sneak into your step-father's stash with the sole purpose of drinking a beer for the alchoholic affect, and STILL can't finish an entire can because the taste is too disgusting, you can rest assured as a legal-aged adult this is a label from which to stay far, far away...

12-24-2007 04:05:59 | More by Natural510
kjloewe

Arizona

2.88/5  rDev +46.2%

On a Hot summer day in St. Louis, MO. a frosty cold bottle of Busch Beer is AWESOME !! Many Taverns in the area offer is beer on tap that is so COLD that it has ice particles in the glass..
This is what alot of us grew up on ! Don't forsake the past because you're a Beer Snob now...Just because you puked it in college does not make it a bad beer now.

12-22-2007 03:24:47 | More by kjloewe
linuxn00b2004

Missouri

3.4/5  rDev +72.6%

Well, I have slammed Michelob Ultra... and I cannot tolerate any of the other Budweiser, Miller, or Coors products. I am not a fan of the American Macro lager, BUT for some reason this beer holds a special place to me. Perhaps it was because this was my first beer, given to me by my dad when I was 2 weeks from turning 21 because we had no NA beer in the house. I am rather fond if it, even though I cannot stomach all it's brethren.

I have good taste. I know a great beer when I taste one, and I home brew, but this beer will nevertheless always have a home in my refrigerator.

Okay, just so I throw some perspective in here:
Easy to slam, not pretty, but very quenching. Lots of corn, and it gets kinda bad as it warms. Would go great with just about any meal, only because the flavor isn't strong enough to offend. Slightly grainy. However, I think it to be the king of cheap beers!

12-11-2007 23:51:28 | More by linuxn00b2004
Guardian

2.85/5  rDev +44.7%

A - Yellow. Lots of carbonation.

S - Smells like a skunk that got hit by a car.

T - Tastes better than it smells. It's a macro...you get what you'd expect.

M - Mine was ice cold. Tingly from the carbonation.

D - Average drinking beer. I bought this to review and seeing as how I'd never had one at the age of 32. I expect I will not buy this regularly.

12-09-2007 02:07:28 | More by Guardian
clayrock81

1.38/5  rDev -29.9%

Here's the thing - if I could hand out worst beer ever made award, I'd hand it to Coors Light, but there are tangible factors such as ad campaign and availability (name the last time you went into a bar that wasn't a "beer bar" and Coors Light was a) not on draft b) not on special and c) didn't have a cardboard woman somewhere). But this is the worst tasting beer ever. I could right through the beer as if I were Superman, and there is absolutely no smell. I imagine had I had the can and poured from there, I might have smelled aluminum. When it comes to the taste I couldn't pick up anything except a few grains and water (I say that because it is impossible to make a beer w/o grain and water, correct?). Worse part, I was drinking while watching a game, and then the realization came that I had paid $10 to drink flavored water hit me when I had to throw the empty box away, stone-cold sober. Avoid this macro at all costs.

11-20-2007 13:03:50 | More by clayrock81
SargeC

Japan

1.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Very pale yellow. Nonexistent head.

Smell: Nothing that truly stands out.

Taste: Metalic overtones mask a taste that resembles beer. This beer almost has a bloody steak taste to it.

Mouthfeel: Very light and overly carbonated

Drinkability: I got this one free, and I never turn down a free beer. But, this time the joke is on me.

10-28-2007 07:22:26 | More by SargeC
armock

2.9/5  rDev +47.2%

A - Pours a straw color with a bubbly white head that goes away quickly

S - Has a grassy corny smell

T - Typical macro for the most part but I think its the best of them

M - Medium carbonation pretty smooth

D - Pretty easy to drink and have drank many of them BBQing by the pool during the summer

10-25-2007 04:32:29 | More by armock
biggmike

Mississippi

1.63/5  rDev -17.3%

Another pale lager from Anheuser-Busch that is not much different from the rest of their pale lager lineup. Pours pale yellow with fast-fading white head. Smell (aroma is a good thing) is not inviting and taste is not too good either. When I was in high school, I used to drink these in longnecks. How my palate has matured. Not a good beer.

09-29-2007 18:43:44 | More by biggmike
JOaikido

Quebec (Canada)

2.23/5  rDev +13.2%

341 ml brown bottle. 4.7% ABV. Brewed by Labatt for Canada.

A- pale yellow. Deccent bubbles. White head that dissappears very quickly.

S- Weak lemon smell. Some grassy notes.

T- Basic macro lager. Weak. Off aftertaste that reminds me of artificial sweeteners. Club soda flavour. Not much else.

MF- Crisp. Carbonation OK.

D- Bland yet refreshing macro. Hurt by off flavour. I'll be avoiding this one.

09-25-2007 16:52:41 | More by JOaikido
Floydster

1.83/5  rDev -7.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a frosted mug

Poured a golden brown color with no head at all

Smell was terrible and the taste was nothing to brag about either

Could drink an average amount of these, but not worth it

Would not drink this again even if it was given to me, not a fan of this particular beer

09-12-2007 06:38:10 | More by Floydster
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

2.93/5  rDev +48.7%

This one was brewed here in Canada by Labatt's
Poured into a Harp Lager glass,very clear pale yellow,i can pee brighter than this,had a impressive 2 finger head which was pure white but it dissipates too quckly with no lacing.
Smell,very mild grass and corn...not much else
Taste's very light and thin,quite refreshing though,faint grass & corn notes with a tin aftertaste but still goes down well.
Mouthfeel is light carbonated kinda like a sparkling wine
This is a beer you have just for the sake of drinkning beer,it goes down very easy,like drinking water,very well priced and i buy it quite often,you know...when you just want to grab a beer and drink,forget about the high priced ones and no judging or anything just drink beer, i do like this one for some reason,quite drinkable especially ice cold,,,,hell i can drink this one anytime.

09-03-2007 22:56:13 | More by GrimmReaper
Halcyondays

3.15/5  rDev +59.9%

24 oz. can, bought at the local Albertsons' market,

A: Pours a pale yellow, but with a good head in a pilsner glass, great clarity, I could almost watch the Dodger game through the beer.

S: Weak, the weak point of this beer, some faint corn notes, but nothing much.

T: Surprisingly good for a macro lager, the corn flavour is light and not overbearing and cloying, a simple flavour, but effective, and I enjoyed it.

M: Light, but a good amount of carbonation leads to a spritzy feel, and a better coverage in the mouth than most macro lagers.

D: Good, a good macro lager beer, I went into this beer expecting to hate it, but you can't judge a book by its cover, and this turned out to be one of my favourite macro beers ever, I am now a Busch fan.

09-01-2007 03:45:51 | More by Halcyondays
DoubleJ

2.17/5  rDev +10.2%

It's back to school in this college themed competition, the College Invitational! Four cheap tallboys that are popular at college parties find their way into my house and are here to do battle for which one offers the all-around package we expect from a beer, and a side bet of which one provides a good buzz! The first beer for the College Invite is AB's sub-premium lager, Busch Beer. Now let's get it on:

Poured into a Kronenbourg 1664 glass, it's very pale yellow in color, but a nice bubbly head rises from the body at first pour. This tastes like either a beefed up light beer, or a shrunken adjunct lager. Cereals and a very light bitterness make up the flavor in this beer, and yet it's more on the bland side. It starts to taste like cornbread when the beer is allowed to warm. Trust me, this is not fun to put down after you've had a few ounces of this.

The only reason why I finished the whole can was to check on it's buzzability. I give the Buzzability a 2.5 because I did feel a little bit lightheaded after this offering (I should note I ate a light dinner before this).

Busch scores adequately, by college standards. Funny thing is I'm a college student and I think this is garbage. Icehouse is coming up tomorrow in the College Invitational.

08-23-2007 03:32:30 | More by DoubleJ
pweis909

1.83/5  rDev -7.1%

12 oz can, in glass. Didn't notice details about freshness dating, but they were probably there.

This beer is nearly colorless, call it palest straw, lots of carb. Nothing in the way of hop aroma, smells a bit of corn. Taste is lightly sweet, utterly lacking in complexity. Worst is the watery mouthfeel.

Goes down easy, like water. Low enough ABV means you could drink more if you like. But therein lies the problem, as there isn't much to like.

08-03-2007 15:11:21 | More by pweis909
Brad007

Vermont

2.8/5  rDev +42.1%

Pours a light pale color with a nice head. Smells malty and sweet with the aroma of rice mixed in. Not unlike many other macro lagers. Taste is somewhat smooth and bland but not too offensive. Tastes ok cold and it's not too bad for a macro lager. I actually like this more than Natural. A-B should market this is as a malt liquor-killer or something (half-joking). I can't rate it that low as it's not that offensive.

07-31-2007 23:50:30 | More by Brad007
Spikester

Oregon

3.16/5  rDev +60.4%

One of the best American macros on tap. I was fortunate to have enjoyed a keg or two of this at an informal gathering of beer drinkers. If you ever get a chance to have a "kegger" with Busch beer, enjoy. Super good American beer!

Update: April 27, 2014.
From a 25 ounce can. Clear pale gold with a good two fingers of dense white head that leaves rather fast. No lacing. Smell is more barley malt and rice than corn. There is even a whiff of herbal hops after warming a bit.
Taste is very light grains and just a bare hint of hop bitterness. Finish lightly dry and balanced. Very little flavor but on the other hand there is nothing offensive either. Mouthfeel is watery with ample carbonation. An excellent beer for those who like subdued flavor easy drinking beer.
Born on date March 6, 2014.

07-28-2007 05:34:18 | More by Spikester
beerphan

3.03/5  rDev +53.8%

can -> pint
born on: 20jun07 BH90 screened on the bottom of the can

Pours a clear pale yellow with a tall thin head that recedes to a smooth 1/4 inch blanket and leaves some patches of droopy lace. Carbonation is persistent but scarce.

Nose: Grains, some mild spice

Thin body. Pleasant enough plain taste. Pale malts with a subtle faint bitterness. Finishes clean and refreshing.

Not a bad choice for a cheap swill.Thanks ron for all the samples.

ps. I get a kick out of all the super low reviews for this beer. For an american macro lager, its dead on its style.

07-17-2007 21:22:04 | More by beerphan
giblet

1.93/5  rDev -2%

hmmm. in my yute this was my beer of choice...it was cheap and i liked the taste more than Ole Swill that everyone else drank.

i put on here that the serving type was a can. canS would be more accurate. many canS. i also have had this in the bottle and on tap. it is not very good. i like it better than the Lights and Lites of US macros.

Head for the mountains...er...or hills or praries or ponds...whatever.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

06-29-2007 10:48:19 | More by giblet
scaliasux

1.93/5  rDev -2%

Appearance - Pale, yellow-gold. Short white head that quickly dissipates. Bubbly and crystal clear in the glass. A little light colored for a regular American lager.

Smell - Slight adjunct, but really quite indistinct.

Taste - Also quite indistinct. Principal impression is that this beer lacks flavor. What is there is not offensive - mild sweet adjunct and very mild hops finish.

Mouthfeel - Watery and crisp. Appropriate for style.

Drinkability - Really light for a regular american lager. Not much beer, though, even at the relatively low price. Nothing to really recommend this, but it is, as above, inoffensive.

06-17-2007 23:44:16 | More by scaliasux
pmcadamis

2.28/5  rDev +15.7%

Another grocery store bargain I couldn't refuse....a whole dollar for 22oz cold beer!

A - Golden yellow and clear with a flimsy white head that's gone in 60 seconds. Tons of tiny bubbles stream up to the top of this headless brew as if making an effort to bring back some semblance of a cap, but it ain't happening. Looks pretty blah.

S - Sweet corn and some Saporro-like ricey aromas. Pretty damn good effort for the style and price. Unlike many macro lagers, I don't really dislike the smell of this one. It's sweeter smelling than most of it's brethren.

T - Well, more of the nose really. Sweet rice-cake blandness at first with some sweet cooked corn at the end. Has a bit of tangy metallic detectable hops on the back end. I'm actually pretty impressed. Goes downhill quickly with warmth, so drink up!

M - Fizzy, light bodied with a syrupy coating sweetness that I don't care for. Finishes clean after a raspy carbonation. Like eating crackers.

D - This is one of the least offensive macro lagers that I've had. It's not really tasty, but it's basically flavorless....so it's hard to like and hard to dislike. Does that make sense? So for those who just want to slake a thirst and get a buzz, this is highly drinkable. But for me, it just doesn't hold my interest. Labatts Blue, PBR, and Stag have much more character.

06-01-2007 04:59:34 | More by pmcadamis
nlmartin

1.95/5  rDev -1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yet one more daring stop at the gas station. The beer was served in my Arrogant Bastard glass. I drank part of the big can from a glass and finished from the can.

Appearance: The beer has a very clear pale yellow coloration. Any less yellow and this would be clear water. The head was about one finger high with no retention.

Smell: The beer smelled like corn cereal adjunct and little else.

Taste: The beer has a very light malt flavor. This is supported by corn flavors? The hops come in at the end and give a quick a fleeting lemon bitterness. No off flavors noted in the taste.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer was watery. I think the active carbonation helped the beer over all. The beer is easy to drink. If you drink your beer fast this will work. It will be awhile before I journey into the gas station. The beer was honestly better from the can than a glass.

05-26-2007 00:50:01 | More by nlmartin
MMansfield

Nova Scotia (Canada)

1.93/5  rDev -2%

Picked up a 6 pack of this at the NSLC for a cheap beer party. This is the contracted to Labatt in Canada.

Appearance: Pours more like a sprite than a beer. Very pale pale yellow, extremely clear. Huge foamy head, not much retention.

Aroma: Corn and rotten vegetables.

Taste: Basically nothing at all. Some corn and sourness, but has very little flavour.

Mouthfeel: Standard macro.

Final Statement: Better than I expected in the sense it had no flavour, but still very poor. This is an alcoholic soft drink.

05-02-2007 05:02:28 | More by MMansfield
supercolter

2.65/5  rDev +34.5%

Ok so I guess, what can I say, It's just a party beer.
Appearance and smell are both flat, no head, no lacing, only corn malt smell.
Taste is slightly refreshing, not something that makes you want to sip but definately drinkable.
Mouthfeel is kinda there but too light in body.
Drinkability is average for the style.

04-11-2007 02:37:48 | More by supercolter
dedrinker

Kansas

2.73/5  rDev +38.6%

I guess I had a fresh one, because it wasn't that bad. It was watery and thin, but no off flavors - just a little adjunct flavor on top of the water, and lo and behold - I actually percieved a mild gummy hop bitterness and aroma! Like I said - I guess I had a fresh one. A really fresh one. I'm used to seeing empty cans of these piled all over my brother's sleeping body when I peak in on him most saturday mornings. Most recently there was still one left in his mini-fridge in his bedroom, so I cracked it open as I wated for him to wake up. That's how I came across this one.

03-18-2007 22:19:16 | More by dedrinker
tesguino

Mexico

2.58/5  rDev +31%

I don't know why but this time this beer actually tasted decent and was drinkable. The appearance was still very pale and looked like piss, but the taste was much better. I think it might be safe to say now that it almost tastes just as good and hits the spot just like a regular Bud does.

i try with fast food only; drink 3 of a six, the other i got for a collection; 60% recommended.

02-21-2007 21:36:54 | More by tesguino