Busch Beer - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-20-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Busch Beer Alström Bros
2.3/5  rDev +16.2%

I enjoyed the lighter version more. This beer is golden clear and has much carbonation. The taste and smeel are dominated by grain and barley. The mouthfeel is fine...you can drink alot of this with no issues. I remember the Busch and Busch Light commercials where the hand grabs a six pack of cans out of the icy stream...BBBBUUUSSSCCCCHHHH!

WoodBrew, May 15, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +79.3%

Clean and smooth. Good beer for the price. Cold is key, cold is key. Bought at Meijer for 13.69 a 30 pack. I like this beer with pretzels and/or sardines. Yummy stuff for a basic beer. The hint of hops and barley were very evident and the carbonation was constant from first sip to last.

Rddymk, May 03, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +25.3%

Note: In Canada, this is brewed under license by Labatt and is 4.7% alc/vol

A- Whoa, this is gonna be good, lol! It pours a very clear urine color....that is if you're slightly dehydrated! The head I have to say retains well, starting out reasonably thick-ish, and settles to a thin super white colored layer. Lacing is modest at best but there is a little foam that just wants to stay with the glass!

S- This almost smells exactly like the water left behind in a can of kernel corn....sweet yet somewhat grain like. Almost like they added corn syrup to act as the "malt". The finish isn't hopped up at all, but does have some dry prairie grass aroma. Underwhelming is the best descriptive to use here.

T- Like most Adjunct lagers, this doesn't have much taste, and the little that there is, is primarily of bland rice/corn...who knows, maybe even a little prairie grass for good measure! This finishes that way it starts, with little to no value flavor wise.

M- Thin, thin thin! It's really like drinking carbonated water with "flavor" added. Highly carbonated beer and really, there isn't anything else to put here....

D- Easy enough to drink....I only had this to review b/c a buddy brought it over to watch the hockey game, so it did it's job. Won't go looking for this again, as there are better AAL's out there...this one is good when you're done sneezing uncontrollably after cutting the lawn for the first time in the spring, and need something to wet your throat again!

ChrisCage, Apr 29, 2011
Photo of
1.6/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

You get what you pay for with this one. For $.50 a beer you should know what you're getting yourself into. Very watery, few hops and malt to speak of, just a bad beer overall. This by no means a beer you buy to drink with dinner or even a small gathering of friends. This is a beer you buy because you want to drink a lot for cheap. Pretty much everything other than malt liquor and natty is better than this.

If you drink this expecting to taste the worst thing you've ever drank, you might enjoy it.

, Apr 07, 2011
1.95/5  rDev -1.5%

"Mmmm...so watery. And yet there's a smack of can to it."

The Golden Standard:
I consider Busch to be the quintessential water beer, the water beer that all other water beers will be compared to. If I want a can of watery refreshment with little to no beer taste, I grab a Busch. It's so watery, that you can pick out a residual taste of the can it's packaged in, which is conveniently also the preferred serving vessel. This being said, it is not necessarily the wateriest or the best of the water beers. That remains to be seen, but it will be the standard against which all others are judged.

The Review:
This beer tastes like club soda, with a hint of that classic "old man beer breath" taste. However, I would say there isn't ENOUGH of that classic beer breath taste. It says on the side of the can that it has "natural aging" and "natural carbonation." I guess that might be true, but it doesn't taste like it. That club soda taste screams of artificial carbonation. As for aging, I'm not sure what that refers to. I'm not aware of American style lagers undergoing an aging process, nor can I imagine what it could have been aged in. Steel? Whatever it was, it didn't impart any flavour to the beer. That much is clear. I would call the amount of carbonation excessive. It covers up that "old man beer" or "bad beer" taste that I'm looking for in an economy beer. I WILL give it this. It IS refreshing and easy to drink in quite possibly unlimited quantity. Due to the high carbonation, there is a limit to how fast you can drink it as you have to take time to purge the burps. However, at 4.7% alcohol, it WILL eventually get you drunk. One odd thing about it is that my ability to taste its mild flavour seemed to be slightly different with each sip. Sometimes I could taste it as I first sipped it, but it completely lacked a finish. Other times, it tasted like water at first, but I could taste a VERY light bitterness as I swallowed. Whether that was imparted by a tiny amount of hops or by the can taste, I can't be sure.

In summation:
Taste notes: carbonated water and VERY mild cheap beer taste with practically no finish and very little aftertaste.

ElCommodoro, Mar 26, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Pretty much the same as the light version. Yellow, Pale, Minimal aromas, no head after the pour. Boring. Mostly corn and very light barley taste and smell. It's hard to even rate this because i don't know what else I can say. I really don't plan on having this brew again.

Knapp85, Mar 22, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -4%

I can barely drink this... and if given the choice I will generally choose water. This beer has a very unmistakable corny effervescence that does not belong in my beer at all. This beer is somewhat chuggable... although it's not something that my stomach holds well.

TheSupremeAJ, Mar 20, 2011
2.33/5  rDev +17.7%

A-Oh that unmistakeable Macro look. Pale yellow, quickly diminishing head. Small, ugly traces of death on the along the glass.

S-Sweet and corny. Comparable to pretty much every other Macro. Busch Light is Busch, Busch is Busch Light.

T-More offensive than some other adjunct lagers. Do not let this beer warm. Imbibe as fast as possible. Thin tasting, sweet, a bit of grain.

M-Watery. Hard to call it mouthfeel when there is nothing much to feel.

D-Yes, I can drink this beer very easily when I am looking to get drunk for cheap.

I will take High Life, PBR, Gansett, and maybe even a few others before I go in on this beer. Heck I will even take Busch Light before this.

VelvetExtract, Feb 24, 2011
2.58/5  rDev +30.3%

I actually got a very thick head out of this. Then again these macros seem to produce fatter heads than most beers. Very faint but still golden yellow straw coloring. I can actually smell it. Pretty potent for an Adjunct Lager. Very sweet malty cereal and corn. Faint hops also present. Has a taint of Noble Pils. Standard lager nose but it is prominent. Taste is pretty weak and watery. Tastes like carbonated water with a dash of Splenda. Mouthfeel is not overly carbonated but a bit thin and even though I like oily in my IPA's, it doesn't fit well here. It isn't hard to get down but the carbonation and tartness I am getting now takes drinkability down a notch. I wanted to try and review one of these with style in mind. I did struggle with the taste a bit. Budweiser and Coors are leaps and bounds better with taste.

generalnotsew, Feb 23, 2011
1.55/5  rDev -21.7%

A real stinker. Can only drink when its really hot and I'm really thirsty. This beer reminds me of desperation and impoverishment.

A- Looks like my first pee of the morning.

S- Like funky cold cuts.

T- Like toasted sweet corn and straw.

M- Almost none. Kind of puckering.

D- Only when needy.

Decent beer isn't hard and can be cheap. This beer is an affront to sensibilities.

crayolahalls, Feb 19, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -11.6%

A - This beer pours a clear pale golden color. It has a 2-finger pure white head, that actually has some decent retention. There was no lacing left behind, and there are some carbonation bubbles visible.

S - It smells of sweet malts, grain, and some faint hops. It has a bit of a stale smell to it.

T - The taste is very watery, but it has hints of rice and corn. The finish is more of the sweet corn taste. There is also something funky going on that I can't quite put my finger on. Overall, the taste is not very good at all.

M - This is very watery with high carbonation. I think the feel is kind of appropriate for the style, because if it was any thinker, I feel it would be totally undrinkable.

D - It is actually not too hard to drink, but that is just because it's so watery and lacking in the flavor department. Its kind of like carbonated beer water. I could easily drink a 12-pack of this, but i really would not want too. I definitely do not recommend.

JizackFH, Feb 06, 2011
2.55/5  rDev +28.8%

24oz CAMO CAN from the Nice Cans II: Maximum Cannage haul. Thanks, OakedCanuck, I guess.... ;)

24 oz can poured into .5l ceramic Lowenbrau mug.

A- Pale yellow in the pour, nice big white head that is active; settles quickly. Dull roar from the carbonation in the mug.

S- Faint grassiness, cornbread, I guess.. no, more like canned corn.

T- Light on the tongue. I served this one cold, as is preferred style-wise. I think it was a good choice. Mild fruitiness, a bit dry and grainy, then washed away by the bubbles. Not bad.

M- High carbonation, as expected, does its job. Too watery, thin. Refreshing, though, in a way... and when cold, not too bad. As it warms it begins to unmask some less than desirable flavors of a beer-y persuasion.

D- Moderate. Cold, it's drinkable, and it's not *bad*. It's not one I'd care to revisit, but I've had far worse am. adjuncts. Better than I expected.

ShogoKawada, Jan 20, 2011
1.23/5  rDev -37.9%

My most hated beer of all time, I don't know what they do to this beer, but it is god awful. Flavor is gut wrenching, full of rice or corn, not sure which. No hops or malts to speak of. Of course no head or lacing. Just a horrible horrible beer. I will avoid this one at all costs.

MaltsOfGlory, Jan 13, 2011
1.98/5  rDev 0%

A- Pale clear yellow with fizzy white head that fades fast and has little lace.

S- Faint corn, rice, and sweet malt. Funky hint of hops.

T- Watery with muted hints of corn and rice, sweet malt with hint of funk.

M- Thin, fizzy, watery

D- Drink it cold and fast and try not to taste it.

JayS2629, Jan 05, 2011
2.42/5  rDev +22.2%

A: A clear fizzy pale straw color with a thin soapy head. A little bit of lace on the glass.

S: Smells like sweet honey grain and rice with some hop aroma. Not good, sort of like a stale beer bar odor.

T: Sweet honey flavors at the start and then the grain kicks in with a slight hop at grain flavor in the finish. And then the flavor sort of disappears.

M: On the high end of carbonation sort of feels like a soda.

D: The flavor isn't as bad as some mass produced beers as long as it is nice and cold. Easy too drink, but once it starts to warm, it is awful. So drink fast.

Kromes, Jan 04, 2011
2.38/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured stone cold from a 12 oz camoflague can (Perfect for those lonely hours up in a treestand) into a pilsner glass.

A- Pours very pale yellow and clear with a soapy head that diminishes into a thin film with a little lacing.

S-Faint sweet corn

T-What taste? sorry.
Start is smooth and corny with a mild carbonation.Middle suggests a bit of hops. Finish is a smooth field of Indiana sweetcorn stretching out to the horizon.

M-Watery but not unpleasant.

D-One of the rare cases when less taste is a plus.Smooth and drinkable if cold enough. Good bang for your buck if quantity is more important than quality.

southsider, Jan 04, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Well the pour from the can resulted in a one finger foam head with little lasting power. The lace was not far behind, but had a good pattern. Color was a 3 on the SRM chart, not good for a non-light beer. Smell...oooo I am in a corn field, and the corn is gone, I smell husks, and rice. Flavor: Corn, rice, little malt. Water in my mouth. Less than yard work beer, this is a beer you serve after all the low priced beer runs out. Sorry...That is how I feel.

beerprovedwright, Jan 03, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -15.2%

Another Joke gift from my brother for xmas. He buys this stuff because its about 50cents a can, which for us Canadians is essentially 1/3 the price of the cheapest stuff we can get.

Appearance: From the Can: "Cold as a mountain stream, smooth as its name". What the fuck? Busch is as smooth as its name... Busch??
Anyways, beer looks fine I suppose. No head, no lacing, barely any color. Just sits there looking like pee.

Smell: Wow. smells like a nursing home at dinner time. cooked and cooked and over-cooked veggies. metallic as well. yum!

Taste: It takes 37 muscles to frown, and 22 to smile. Drinking this is quite the workout since the tiniest sip yields a spazam inducing scowl that probably burns more calories than the mouthful of beer. +0.5 for that.

Mouthfeel: Feels similar to an Italian carbonated water that costs 14 times more in a restaurant. Not bad I suppose.

D: Well... an extra .5 here for the fact that it's 50cents a can. Its really bad, but in all honesty, the more of this you drink the more you forget how bad it is.

uno99, Dec 28, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -29.3%

Uh yeah, yellow beer, no head retention at all, nonexistant, but hey, those bubbles look neat, crisp and clean. The aroma? Well, if I could infringe on Adam Sandler's intellectual property for just a second:

"This stuff reeks worse than my nuts do." --The talking goat.

Taste, a little bit of corn was probably cooked enough to qualify as being 'roasted' as it has some weak flavor to it, even the muted bastardized wood flavor to it seemed to pop in every now and then. Its cheap, but still not worth it. If you drink this stuff with any degree of regularity, I would guess you are not in a good place.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 24, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +66.7%

This is another beer to mow and play golf with. It is good for that at least. I usually have this in cans when i do have it and it tastes fine smells ok drinks well, and is cheap and easy to find. It is like the rest of these mass produced beers. I would drink it again.

larrytm56, Dec 24, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +49%

Extremely pale and lacking real color, this adjunct is lively and bubbly. Smell is grainy, cooked cafeteria vegetables, corn and probably a good amount of rice in here. Malt sweetness and a hit of sour odor. Taste is light, sweet and finishing of grainy mustiness. Yes, lots of corn in here. Finish is quick and neat, slight lingering metals. Thin and watery.

SamN, Dec 21, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -36.9%

A friend came back from vacation in America and thought he would gift me this American beer. All I could say was, "I'm impressed man. You might have picked up one of THE WORST beers in America."

A - Has the look of equal parts Sprite and Mountain Dew that's past it's prime. The same artificial carbonation look. Clear as a bottle. Lots of continued carbonation on the low head. I little bit of lacing, more than I'd expect, the main thing keeping this from a one.

S - Sugary. The metallic / compressed air smell of a cheap BB gun filled with corn syrup. Lemon juice pored through stale hop leaves. Not the worst ever, but generally unpleasant.

T - Wow! It only takes one tiny sip to feel like I'm back in high school standing in front of the gas station trying to convince someone to go in and buy my friends and I beer. This is just about impossible to stomach. I try one more sip and managed to keep it down. I don't think I can go below a '1' but this is a case to do so.

M - How is it both fizzy and flat at the same time. Stings the throat like lemon juice and salt on an open wound.

D - This is one of those beers that is only acceptable after you've had maybe 15-20 others. Possible uses for this beer:
-Base for chilies and stews
-Cleaning the bathroom
-Dousing out a friend who is on fire

jeranbrews, Nov 23, 2010
2.58/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Twelve ounce can poured into a pint glass.

A very clear yellow body, held up to the light long enough I could go blind. The head is white as snow. Extremely bubbly. As the head settles it turns into a somewhat white creamy head.

A slight metalic smell. Mostly grainy and some hops. Nothing much going in here at all.

Carbonation isn't as bad as I expected. I thought it was going to be overbearing from all the bubbles shooting to the top. Its quite smooth and refreshing. Very light in body.

The taste is, I guess, decent. Reminds me of a Miller Lite which isn't a bad thing since I like Miller Lite as a light beer but to have this taste and its not a light beer is weird. It tastes grainy, light in the hops, just your typical macro tasting beer. Nothing much going on here either.

Drink Ability is high because its smooth and light. I could drink these like water. But do I really want to?

If it was offered to me at a BBQ and that's all they had, I WOULD drink it. Its overall decent and far from the worse I've had.

9InchNails, Nov 19, 2010

Poured out of a 24oz can into my 16oz pint glass. It is a light pale straw color...SRM of maybe 2 I mean light. Carbonation is uneven and they are all sorts of sizes. Smells like overcooked veggies and corn. This smell is enough to repel you. Tastes like come on guess it...just like it smells. Again overcooked veggies and grain with hearty helping of fodder corn, not even good sweet corn but musty fodder corn that you give to livestock. Hops are minimal if they are there. Mouthfeel is thin and wetting. i guess it would be good if I were smoked from a hard days worth of yard work. Drinkability once you freeze you tastebuds would be easy. Serve very cold if you want some good ol' fashion swill. BTW I bought this for $1.09 for a 24oz.

bigrzman, Nov 16, 2010
1.9/5  rDev -4%

This beer is garbage. It's super fake tasting with no real character and just tastes like sparkling water with some corn and grain additives. I usually don't even detect corn in the other typical BMC brews but I really picked up on it with this one. I'd never buy Busch nor would I recommend it to anyone, even if they preferred the usual BMC products. In it's style, Bud is better (though a bit more expensive) and is surely a more wise choice. And Rolling Rock is better than both of those.

cheesepuffs, Nov 15, 2010