Busch Beer - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.30% ABV

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-20-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Busch Beer Alström Bros
1.45/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Can poured into a pint glass.

This was a free sample at the distributor the other day when I picked up a case of Victory Festbier. A free beer is never a bad beer...just remember that.

A: Pale watery yellow a head that died fast. The beer has NO lacing.

S: A mild grainy sweetness is noted in the aroma, otherwise not a whole lot of anything.

T: This beer has a very faint flavor. It is very weak and sweet to the palate. There is a slightly off flavor here but I am not really sure how to describe it.

M: This beer seems overly carbed and extremely watery. Pretty much garbage on this one.

O: Okay, so this is a shit beer. We all know that. I find new empties of this, along with lots of Coors Light, littering the road I live on daily. This beer is what it is, and it is drank by a certain class of people (for the most part) I haven't had this beer in a long time and I can say it was worse and more bland than I ever remembered.

1.33/5  rDev -32.8%

Note: I am new to drinking beer.

Busch Beer: Cold as a mountain stream, smooth as its name.
Yeah right.

A - Poured out from a can into a glass. Very, very pale yellow. No head at all.

S - Little to no smell.

T - It tastes like tonic water with a hint of alcohol.

M - No mouthfeel whatsoever. At the most a slight, stale aftertaste.

O - Not good at all. If this is the only drink available at a party, take your chances.

1.35/5  rDev -31.8%

Just drank this for the first time. I'm an all micro guy and I know Busch is a terrible beer just by reputation. But I bought some to see what it tastes like, and you know what? It tastes like water. It doesn't even resemble the taste of a beer. It's barely refreshing. Extremely drinkable, but that's it. "Smooth as its name". Are you kidding me? It's water, plain and simple.

1.63/5  rDev -17.7%

During my time at central I had the opportunity to have a lot of adjunct lagers, and this might be one of the worst. It has the color of slightly yellow water. It smells like sweet corn water. It tastes like sweet corn water. While there are good adjunct lagers this is not one of them.

2.2/5  rDev +11.1%

Review from written notes, transcribed from a frozen screen during a live review. D'oh!

Into a mini-pint taster glass it pours a dull straw gold, with a thin layer of fizzy white suds sizzling on the surface. The foam completely evaporates, and soon enough it looks like a glass of urine or apple juice. Some feeble trails of carbonation are visible.

Smells vaguely of wet cardboard and cooked vegetables (DMS), some mild apple sweetness when swirled around. Tastes like cardboard or wet paper, apple juice, cooked veggies again. Mealy, tacky envelope glue texture, fizzy and overcarbonated. Chugged the last bit as there was no sink available at the party... RIP Hard Boiled Records... Thanks for the beer and memories Mark!

2.2/5  rDev +11.1%

When I poured this beer in late afternoon light, it literally looked like fizzy water with froth. The nose is fairly non-existent, consisting of only the faintest beeriness and a modicum of alcohol. Adjunct sweetness is mildly perceptible in the flavor, but it is quite flavorless overall, even for the style. The feel is prickly. Busch is not very impressive, and seems to be clearly lesser than a number of other widely available AALs.

2.38/5  rDev +20.2%

Really not that bad. When compared to the other common cheap beers like Ketstone and Natural, this is the best. It is quite inexpensive and does not taste as wattered down as other value brands. It's pretty refreshing when service ice cold at a fun gathering. Great for parties.

Head vanishes quickly, leaving not much to see, smell, or taste.

2.3/5  rDev +16.2%

A - Poured into a pint glass, this beer is absolutely indistinguishable from ginger ale. Same color, same fizz, same *everything*.

S - Basically indistinguishable from every other American macro-lager.

T - Also pretty much standard American macro-lager; maybe slightly less intense, if that's possible. Crisp fizzy grain, followed by what I can only describe as old beer. Like Bud if you left it in the garage just slightly too long.

M - Fizzier than most, as was probably evident from the above. Otherwise, not a thing to distinguish it.

O - I bought this beer on a tip that it was identical to other American macros at a substantial discount. PBR's even cheaper and much better, though - if for some reason you're looking to buy an American macro, there's no good reason to pick this up.

3.13/5  rDev +58.1%

12 oz can. Taken straight from the can. Lets be real... that's how it's intended to be had.

Appearance - No foam upon opening. Can see bottom of can, which indicates a very clear, pale beer. No visible body carbonation.

Smell - Slight corny malt. Sweet. Typical AAL.

Taste - Corny. No off flavors in the body. Just a slight musky finish. No aftertaste. Watery.

Mouthfeel - Light and watery. Smooth.

Overal Drinkability - Watery with no body. For getting drunk on the cheap without tasting anything resembling alcohol. Great for what its purpose is. Otherwise, boring and not worth while. I probably just described 90% of AALs. Keep in mind I'm rating to style this time. My last Busch review (in bottle) was rated more towards beer in general.

2.48/5  rDev +25.3%

A: Pours a pale straw yellow with a large white head and no real lacing.

S: Not much here, just a hint of grain.

T: Taste is quite clean with just a mild grain taste with a bit of sweetness and a smooth finish.

F: Light body, crisp and refreshing.

very non-offensive beer. feels like drinking a Bud Light but with a bit more charactor. This is as close to a light beer as I try to go. When ice cold this is a great lawn-mower beer or at a BBQ with a bunch of beer moochers.

2.78/5  rDev +40.4%

This is the beer that you drink when you want some alcohol with your water. It's cheap, goes down easy and doesn't fill you up. This is a beer that can carry you all day while your sitting on your porch or out fishing. If they did a taste test with bottled water and this, you might think Busch is tap water. Really though, this is another solid cheap easy drinking beer that will enable you to cruise a buzz all day.

1.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured this beer into my snifter.

The beer was a pale yellow color with an unstable head that soon feel back into the glass.

The beer was lightly carbonated and very few bubbles rose to the surface.

The beer smelled mostly of adjunct corn with a little DMS.

The beer had little taste, no hop flavor at all, and was very watery.

Overall this was not a very good beer and I would not want to have another.

2.3/5  rDev +16.2%

I enjoyed the lighter version more. This beer is golden clear and has much carbonation. The taste and smeel are dominated by grain and barley. The mouthfeel is fine...you can drink alot of this with no issues. I remember the Busch and Busch Light commercials where the hand grabs a six pack of cans out of the icy stream...BBBBUUUSSSCCCCHHHH!

3.55/5  rDev +79.3%

Clean and smooth. Good beer for the price. Cold is key, cold is key. Bought at Meijer for 13.69 a 30 pack. I like this beer with pretzels and/or sardines. Yummy stuff for a basic beer. The hint of hops and barley were very evident and the carbonation was constant from first sip to last.

2.48/5  rDev +25.3%

Note: In Canada, this is brewed under license by Labatt and is 4.7% alc/vol

A- Whoa, this is gonna be good, lol! It pours a very clear urine color....that is if you're slightly dehydrated! The head I have to say retains well, starting out reasonably thick-ish, and settles to a thin super white colored layer. Lacing is modest at best but there is a little foam that just wants to stay with the glass!

S- This almost smells exactly like the water left behind in a can of kernel corn....sweet yet somewhat grain like. Almost like they added corn syrup to act as the "malt". The finish isn't hopped up at all, but does have some dry prairie grass aroma. Underwhelming is the best descriptive to use here.

T- Like most Adjunct lagers, this doesn't have much taste, and the little that there is, is primarily of bland rice/corn...who knows, maybe even a little prairie grass for good measure! This finishes that way it starts, with little to no value flavor wise.

M- Thin, thin thin! It's really like drinking carbonated water with "flavor" added. Highly carbonated beer and really, there isn't anything else to put here....

D- Easy enough to drink....I only had this to review b/c a buddy brought it over to watch the hockey game, so it did it's job. Won't go looking for this again, as there are better AAL's out there...this one is good when you're done sneezing uncontrollably after cutting the lawn for the first time in the spring, and need something to wet your throat again!

Photo of
1.6/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

You get what you pay for with this one. For $.50 a beer you should know what you're getting yourself into. Very watery, few hops and malt to speak of, just a bad beer overall. This by no means a beer you buy to drink with dinner or even a small gathering of friends. This is a beer you buy because you want to drink a lot for cheap. Pretty much everything other than malt liquor and natty is better than this.

If you drink this expecting to taste the worst thing you've ever drank, you might enjoy it.

1.95/5  rDev -1.5%

"Mmmm...so watery. And yet there's a smack of can to it."

The Golden Standard:
I consider Busch to be the quintessential water beer, the water beer that all other water beers will be compared to. If I want a can of watery refreshment with little to no beer taste, I grab a Busch. It's so watery, that you can pick out a residual taste of the can it's packaged in, which is conveniently also the preferred serving vessel. This being said, it is not necessarily the wateriest or the best of the water beers. That remains to be seen, but it will be the standard against which all others are judged.

The Review:
This beer tastes like club soda, with a hint of that classic "old man beer breath" taste. However, I would say there isn't ENOUGH of that classic beer breath taste. It says on the side of the can that it has "natural aging" and "natural carbonation." I guess that might be true, but it doesn't taste like it. That club soda taste screams of artificial carbonation. As for aging, I'm not sure what that refers to. I'm not aware of American style lagers undergoing an aging process, nor can I imagine what it could have been aged in. Steel? Whatever it was, it didn't impart any flavour to the beer. That much is clear. I would call the amount of carbonation excessive. It covers up that "old man beer" or "bad beer" taste that I'm looking for in an economy beer. I WILL give it this. It IS refreshing and easy to drink in quite possibly unlimited quantity. Due to the high carbonation, there is a limit to how fast you can drink it as you have to take time to purge the burps. However, at 4.7% alcohol, it WILL eventually get you drunk. One odd thing about it is that my ability to taste its mild flavour seemed to be slightly different with each sip. Sometimes I could taste it as I first sipped it, but it completely lacked a finish. Other times, it tasted like water at first, but I could taste a VERY light bitterness as I swallowed. Whether that was imparted by a tiny amount of hops or by the can taste, I can't be sure.

In summation:
Taste notes: carbonated water and VERY mild cheap beer taste with practically no finish and very little aftertaste.

1.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Pretty much the same as the light version. Yellow, Pale, Minimal aromas, no head after the pour. Boring. Mostly corn and very light barley taste and smell. It's hard to even rate this because i don't know what else I can say. I really don't plan on having this brew again.

1.9/5  rDev -4%

I can barely drink this... and if given the choice I will generally choose water. This beer has a very unmistakable corny effervescence that does not belong in my beer at all. This beer is somewhat chuggable... although it's not something that my stomach holds well.

2.33/5  rDev +17.7%

A-Oh that unmistakeable Macro look. Pale yellow, quickly diminishing head. Small, ugly traces of death on the along the glass.

S-Sweet and corny. Comparable to pretty much every other Macro. Busch Light is Busch, Busch is Busch Light.

T-More offensive than some other adjunct lagers. Do not let this beer warm. Imbibe as fast as possible. Thin tasting, sweet, a bit of grain.

M-Watery. Hard to call it mouthfeel when there is nothing much to feel.

D-Yes, I can drink this beer very easily when I am looking to get drunk for cheap.

I will take High Life, PBR, Gansett, and maybe even a few others before I go in on this beer. Heck I will even take Busch Light before this.

2.58/5  rDev +30.3%

I actually got a very thick head out of this. Then again these macros seem to produce fatter heads than most beers. Very faint but still golden yellow straw coloring. I can actually smell it. Pretty potent for an Adjunct Lager. Very sweet malty cereal and corn. Faint hops also present. Has a taint of Noble Pils. Standard lager nose but it is prominent. Taste is pretty weak and watery. Tastes like carbonated water with a dash of Splenda. Mouthfeel is not overly carbonated but a bit thin and even though I like oily in my IPA's, it doesn't fit well here. It isn't hard to get down but the carbonation and tartness I am getting now takes drinkability down a notch. I wanted to try and review one of these with style in mind. I did struggle with the taste a bit. Budweiser and Coors are leaps and bounds better with taste.

1.55/5  rDev -21.7%

A real stinker. Can only drink when its really hot and I'm really thirsty. This beer reminds me of desperation and impoverishment.

A- Looks like my first pee of the morning.

S- Like funky cold cuts.

T- Like toasted sweet corn and straw.

M- Almost none. Kind of puckering.

D- Only when needy.

Decent beer isn't hard and can be cheap. This beer is an affront to sensibilities.

1.75/5  rDev -11.6%

A - This beer pours a clear pale golden color. It has a 2-finger pure white head, that actually has some decent retention. There was no lacing left behind, and there are some carbonation bubbles visible.

S - It smells of sweet malts, grain, and some faint hops. It has a bit of a stale smell to it.

T - The taste is very watery, but it has hints of rice and corn. The finish is more of the sweet corn taste. There is also something funky going on that I can't quite put my finger on. Overall, the taste is not very good at all.

M - This is very watery with high carbonation. I think the feel is kind of appropriate for the style, because if it was any thinker, I feel it would be totally undrinkable.

D - It is actually not too hard to drink, but that is just because it's so watery and lacking in the flavor department. Its kind of like carbonated beer water. I could easily drink a 12-pack of this, but i really would not want too. I definitely do not recommend.

2.55/5  rDev +28.8%

24oz CAMO CAN from the Nice Cans II: Maximum Cannage haul. Thanks, OakedCanuck, I guess.... ;)

24 oz can poured into .5l ceramic Lowenbrau mug.

A- Pale yellow in the pour, nice big white head that is active; settles quickly. Dull roar from the carbonation in the mug.

S- Faint grassiness, cornbread, I guess.. no, more like canned corn.

T- Light on the tongue. I served this one cold, as is preferred style-wise. I think it was a good choice. Mild fruitiness, a bit dry and grainy, then washed away by the bubbles. Not bad.

M- High carbonation, as expected, does its job. Too watery, thin. Refreshing, though, in a way... and when cold, not too bad. As it warms it begins to unmask some less than desirable flavors of a beer-y persuasion.

D- Moderate. Cold, it's drinkable, and it's not *bad*. It's not one I'd care to revisit, but I've had far worse am. adjuncts. Better than I expected.

1.23/5  rDev -37.9%

My most hated beer of all time, I don't know what they do to this beer, but it is god awful. Flavor is gut wrenching, full of rice or corn, not sure which. No hops or malts to speak of. Of course no head or lacing. Just a horrible horrible beer. I will avoid this one at all costs.

Busch Beer from Anheuser-Busch