Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Raspberry WheatShock Top Raspberry Wheat

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-16-2011

Raspberry Wheat delivers the same smooth taste of Shock Top, with a hint of raspberry flavor. This traditional Belgian-style wheat ale is brewed with essence of wild raspberry and hand-selected hops. It’s this combination that gives it its crisp and distinctive Shock Top taste, with its own flavorful twist. This unfiltered ale has a light-golden color and a smooth finish, and if you’re curious, it technically doesn’t, not count toward your daily fruit intake.
3.14/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I love raspberries. So although this tasted more like a wine cooler than a beer, I still enjoyed it. A nice amber color, smell and taste overwhelmingly of raspberries, with a little citrus thrown in. I didn't think it was too sweet. A nice summertime beer for relaxing in the back yard, or eating with a light meal. (327 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. I have tried six other flavors of Shock Top, several have been pretty good, Unfortunately this ain't one of them. The taste is so sweet you can become an instant diabetic. The aftertaste is artificial and is so powerful that I can't even recall how the brew looked. It doesn't matter, avoid unless you like your beer soaked in rock candy. (389 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -27.8%

Looks appetizing, but is much too sweet, and the sweetness comes through in the smell as well. It overpowers every other aspect of the beer. I've been pleasantly surprised by Shock Top generally, but am disappointed by this offering. (233 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My dad forced me to try, he is not a big craft beer guy and he thought I would like this. I'm not a fruit, wheat or Belgium fan. I can't stand shock top. That said this wasn't as horrible as I expected. Not great but drinkable for shock top. (242 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -8.5%

Serving: From the bottle
Served: 17 May 2015

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle, so I can't comment much about that. Terrible branding and labelling. Honestly, if ABI is trying to break into the craft beer crowd with this, they could at least pick a less douchy label.

Smell: Raspberry purée with a slight beeriness.

Taste: Artificial raspberry purée flavor, very sweet, like a raspberry smoothy. Weirdly acidic finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin body with medium carbonation. Feels lacking.

Overall: Among the weirdest beers I've had. Not the worst, but up there. (566 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This is more of a raspberry cooler/beer hybrid. It's oddly refreshing, but not the sort of thing I would go out of my way to find. There is no doubt that some heavy duty chemical enhancements are at work here. I couldn't help but think of the section in "Fast Food Nation" that explored the flavor labs of New Jersey as I sipped this. If I wasn't thinking, this might not be so bad... (384 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Raspberry wheat pours a golden color with a reddish hue, small but long lasting head. There is a artificial sweet aroma. Artificial raspberry flavor, grainy, and a tea like flavor; tastes like water downed power raspberry iced tea. Flat and watery. Overall looks good, bad artificial flavors. (296 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +44.4%

With a delicious & bold taste, this beer lives up to it's name with a fantastic raspberry wallop in every chug. This is so tasty and refreshing, it could get ya drunk fast. Luckily, I'd probably stop at two, as the sweetness & tartness gets to be a little much for a session. (275 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok bought this for my daughter and her friends who housesat for us last weekend. There were a couple left over so I thought I would dry one. Poured nice with a good 3 finger head the dissipated pretty quick. Smells like a raspberry drink, real strong raspberry smell. Taste like a light beer with raspberry in it. The thing that stood out in this beer is the taste is not medicical. With the exception of Blushing Monk this is the only beer that had a good clean raspberry taste, thus the high rating. Not something I would drink on a regular basis, but not a bad beer to have on hand, my wife who is willing to taste every beer I have (and doesn't like beer) actually thought it was pretty good, probably because it doesn't taste much like a beer. That said not a bad effort. One side note, if AB ever wanted to get into sours, this would be a great one to take there. If it was more on the sour side vs sweet side I would probably go back for more (960 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO for around $2.60 for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass.

A- Opens well and pours a small head that is gone in seconds. Very cloudy as a wheat beer should be

S- Oodles of raspberry. A whole field full

T- That field of berries are back! Never had this much raspberry flavor in a beer before. Super saturated. Gets a bit sickly sweet though.

M- Pretty dry and tart.

O- A bit too much berry flavor. Hits you in the mouth a bit too hard. Had it, enjoyed it, will not buy it again.

Food Pairing

The berry beer went well with.... Soda crackers! Just something dry helps this beer out taking that berry blast down a notch

Enjoy (666 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +27.5%

The Rapsberry taste is definitely prevalent, but I enjoyed the taste. As it warmed, however, it did lose some luster. It's on par for what I'd expect. (150 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +1.8%

Interesting Beer, more like a wine cooler in many ways, summer time beer, served cold and drank cold, as it gets warm the flavor is over powering, raspberry cool-aid comes to mind... (182 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Good full raspberry flavor. When a drink says "raspberry" or "apple" or whatever, I expect it to taste like it. This beer does that.

It poured nicely, nice frothy head that didn't linger too long. poured cloudy and remained cloudy the entire time..

Nice easy drinker. (272 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Way, waaaay too sweet and fruity. They went over the top with this one. It's not bad, per se, but I wouldn't want to drink more than one at a time. Even then, there are many other raspberry beers that are far more subtle and tasty. (231 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I'm literally drinking this as I type, and overall, it's bit of a let down. I disagree with some of the reviews citing it to be sweet- I find it rather bland. Pretty solid mouthfeel, but a complete emptiness on the palate after the initial raspberry. It's not terrible but by no means will I seek this out. (306 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Hazy straw colored body, a fizzy white head that actually doesn't recede as quickly as I expected. Just a few dots of lacing, if that.

Aroma: An immediate metallic note, then raspberry syrup.

Taste: Not a lot going on other than raspberry fruitiness, some tart in the finish. Very sweet, syrupy.

Mouthfeel: Pretty sticky, syrupy.

Overall: Like the other flavored wheat beers I've had from this "brewery" this is too syrupy, too sweet, and doesn't taste like it's brewed with natural ingredients. Even the bottle states "Raspberry flavor added." Not real raspberries, just the "flavor" ... (633 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -38.4%

My girlfriend wanted it, I think it wasted some space in my cooler. Very strong "raspberry" flavor, not bad if you like that. Reminded me of Leinie's berry Weiss (161 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

Served at around 5C in a slightly oversized Belgium glass.
Appearance: Golden colour and very slightly cloudy. Thin white head.
Smell: Raspberry and that's about it.
Taste: Moderate, tasty, and lingering raspberry flavour. Some wheat can be detected, but not much. Definitely on the sweet side and no bite on the finish. Very drinkable and almost anybody would be able to finish a glass.
Body: Light-bodied.
Overall: Nothing complex and not at the top of its style, but it makes for a good summer beer that is drinkable for pretty much everybody. (546 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Take a Bud, pour in unsweetened raspberry Kool-Aid and you will have this beer. An ok beer to drink once in a while but not one of my favorites. I ended up giving away some of the 6 pack. (187 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +8.1%

One of the last Summer beer that I will try for this year.
The look of the beer is like the 1664 blanc or the Hoegaarden. You won't notice that is a Raspberry Beer...
Until you smell it. The smell is a definitely Raspberry,, and that's all about.
Now the taste. Well like the Lemon Shandy, it's all about the Raspberry flavour. But the lemon Shandy is about a touch of sour than the Raspberry is about that sweet touch. You won't really notice the taste of the wheat beer, it's more on the sweet side. On the finish it's not dry at all and the raspberry stay and don t give any space to the Belgium Wheat.
Overall, this is a great summer beer. That's why like the Lemon Shandy I will give a 3/5.
So would I recommend it ? Sure, this is different than those lime lemon high sugar beer thats on the market. And I think this is great beer for women too. For myself I wouldn't buy it all year long but during summer a pack of 12, once or twice, I will definitely go for it. (972 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat is a surprisingly crisp, refreshing, and modestly-flavored wheat beer that could've easily been an insufferably sweet/tart brew. The brew fittingly compliments Belgian White and Honeycrisp Apple has pleasantly different options from mainstream breweries, and, again, bests Blue Moon. (309 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a bright red with an off white head that fizzes away quickly. The smell is all raspberry with little to no hop or wheat. The taste was similar with a very sugary finish. The mouthfeel was also off, too thick for a wheat in my opinion. I can understand why it's popular, it's just not for me. (298 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +14.1%

The aroma is awesome! Very fruity and strong raspberry smell. It almost bummed me out when I tasted it. A fruity beer with almost a sour character. I mean not terrible but not great. A amber color to it. The aroma pumped me up but as far as taste it fell short for me. (268 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Re-review 9/18/14.

Appearance (3.5) - Fluffy two finger head that recedes rapidly on top of a dense and bubbly dark apricot body.

Smell (3.5) - Raspberry sorbet. Nice smelling but incredibly one-noted. That's it.

Taste (2.5) - Raspberry seed, some sour wheat underneath. The finish is of tart raspberries. There's really not much else to say. It's tasty but after a few gulps I'm sick of it.

Mouthfeel (2) - Quite fizzy with a lot of bite.

Overall (2.75) : The smell is deceptively enticing. The taste is cloying, but isn't even the good kind of sweet. It's pretty rejecting. The sour wheat comes in full force and drives away the raspberry and forces you to swallow because you don't want it in your mouth anymore. This is a nice beer once in a great while...but honestly, I gave most of my six pack away to friends and family. One and I'm done. Maybe not even that. Try it, but don't buy a whole sixer, you may find yourself trying to pawn off the other five to your friends. "Here, try this...it's...interesting." (1,022 characters)

This is putrid. Absolutely disgusting. Like someone poured spoiled raspberry juice into a Shock Top. Seriously, I love regular Shock Top, but this is horrible.

Will never buy or drink again. (191 characters)

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat from Anheuser-Busch