1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Raspberry WheatShock Top Raspberry Wheat

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Raspberry Wheat delivers the same smooth taste of Shock Top, with a hint of raspberry flavor. This traditional Belgian-style wheat ale is brewed with essence of wild raspberry and hand-selected hops. It’s this combination that gives it its crisp and distinctive Shock Top taste, with its own flavorful twist. This unfiltered ale has a light-golden color and a smooth finish, and if you’re curious, it technically doesn’t, not count toward your daily fruit intake.

(Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-16-2011)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 672 | Reviews: 117 | Show All Ratings:
Ed2

Delaware

2.21/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Had this in an outlet mall bar with my wife, while she was on a shopping break. Light amber color, small head with no real lacing. Head disappeared fast. Smell was fragrant and strong of raspberries - taste was similar, but less fruity. More along my wife's taste than mine, but choices were limited...

04-13-2014 14:11:30 | More by Ed2
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.35/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Sampled last night on 1/17/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a brandy snifter.

Pours a hazy gold in color with a good 1+-finger fizzy white head that faded down fast to just a thin layer. Decent amount of lacing was seen with each sip. Average amount of bubbles streaming from the bottom and sides of the glass, so pretty middle of the line carbonation. The aroma hits you right of front which of course in raspberries with a hint of grains. The taste of the same with lots of raspberries, with a sweet but tart finish. Overall, not really bad like you might think and is a good summer/autumn brew.

01-19-2014 05:28:15 | More by BeerWithMike
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.96/5  rDev +42.4%

A-hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly; but leaves some lacing
S-strong raspberry smell is all I smell
T- sweet raspberry taste that changes to a tart raspberry aftertaste that turns back sweeter in the finish
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-this was a great mass produced beer that has a great price. I wonder why so many here are anti AB? This is a great beer

12-24-2013 04:11:00 | More by a0lbudman
Brenden

3.03/5  rDev +9%

This one is about medium gold and hazy. It shows some effervescence, which aids to build up a large-bubbled white head so that it actually manages a little more than a finger. Retention is pretty poor, though, so it drops quickly. It does, however, leave decent spotting.
Sure, the raspberries have an almost candied or sugared quality, but there is even a little tartness that makes me think it may be natural. It smells that way, at least, and that's what matters. Aside from that, the raspberry is up front and it's the focus, which is also key to a fruit beer. Malts don't throw down an extremely strong foundation, but the wheat does give something to it.
In the flavor, there's something in the back end that the aroma doesn't give off, and there it's got something of an artificial, almost chemical quality to it. It's not strong enough to ruin it, and overall this is one of the better Shock Top varieties I've had.
The attempt at crispness is a little too strong in this beer, coming off too prickly and way too spritzy, though it is at least lively. It takes away from any smoothness the beer might be attempting to convey.

12-05-2013 20:28:57 | More by Brenden
Jvermont

Maine

1.41/5  rDev -49.3%

When dispensed, it had a nice head. It poured and remained cloudy so I was expecting a smooth body and mouth feel. When i brought the glass toward my mouth, it had an overwhelming odor of berries. Not pleasant. I sipped it and the flavor was reminiscent of cough syrup. The body was thin and disappointing. I could not finish it.

When I drink a beer with flavorings, I like it to be subtle. The flavors should meld together and act as a whole. This beer is not balanced and does not hit the mark.

10-20-2013 21:28:38 | More by Jvermont
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev +41.4%

I find it Amusing how some reviewers give this Beer such a Low Rating,because they start out by stating that "Fruit Beers" are not really their thing~then proceed to slag this Beer to no end,saying things like "too sweet and way too much Raspberry flavor"..Derp! what do you expect guys? Raspberries are Sweet..very Sweet,and if you brew a beer with them,the beer is most certianly going to have a sweet edge to it,I also find that there are a lot of folks who take gr8 pleasure in bashing ANY "Shock Top" Beer..Maybe because of the whole Anheuser-Busch Thing,and the fact that some people feel AB is trying to pull a fast one by Marketing Shock Top as a Small Micro Brewery and not the Gigantic Huge Company it actually is...but I really do not care about that,because to me,a Good Beer is a Good Beer,no matter if it is brewed in small batches by a few dedicated bunch of hard working individuals,or
cranked out in massive Amounts by Computer controlled mega Breweries,I Have had Fantastic and just plain Crappy brews by both systems;)
It's actually quite simple,if you enjoy Fruit Beers,and do not want to pay 15 bucks a 6er,Shock Top has some very good ones [Honey Crisp Apple wheat being my favorite] I also enjoy this Raspberry wheat a gr8 deal~what I do not understand,is why so many people who do not like Fruit beers feel the need to slag both of these brews,I Understand that these are not your traditional type brews,and some people just do not want fruit in their beer..I Get that! but perhaps if you are one of these folks who want their beer with NO Fruit,and just do not like Fruit Beers period...maybe stick to reviewing the type of beers you enjoy and not bash a brew you know right off the bat you will not like..just a thought guys;)
anyway,Shock Top Raspberry wheat is a very decent Fruit Beer,not quite as good as their Honey Crisp Apple Wheat..but still very,Very Nice Indeed! but I have to admit,the Honey Crisp Apple Wheat is just Amazing! and pretty much my favorite Fruit Beer ever~Cheers&Peace2All.

10-11-2013 13:06:26 | More by Beerwolf666
getmeabeer

Connecticut

1.7/5  rDev -38.8%

During the summer I enjoy a fruity wheat bear or two. I purchased a six on a whim and was thoroughly disappointed. Upon opening, the beer had a fruity aroma of raspberry. Poured into a tulip glass the beer had an amber appearance with lots of carbonation. Upon sipping the beer I noticed a very sickly sweet taste that kept on giving and giving. Carbonation was very heavy thus mouthful was fizzy. Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this beer.

07-29-2013 02:44:13 | More by getmeabeer
BillB007

Georgia

3.75/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I've had a few six packs of this beer and like it a lot. It's not fancy but I like the slightly sweet, obviously raspberry flavor. It's almost like a light dessert beer but not so sweet that you can't have it anytime. I'll probably make it a staple everyday beer to have when not going for something unusual.

07-05-2013 00:57:28 | More by BillB007
scratch69

3.63/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Golden yellow color with a finger and a half of head. Fair amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Fresh raspberry aroma.

Taste- Strong flavor of sweet raspberry with the tiniest hint of wheat malt.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- A good fruit beer. While it is not the best raspberry beer that I have had, I have had worse. Much better than the regular Shock Top.

07-04-2013 19:38:06 | More by scratch69
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.46/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I had this fresh at the brewery in st Louis, so Im sure my experience with this is better than the average joe buying a sixer in some distant land. this pours a pink tinted thicker wheat beer color with an inch of dying white fluff on top. the nose is really heavy raspberry, tart and fresh. really honestly tastes like fresh fruit too. I am surprised at the authenticity of the fruit in this beer, I thought itd be all syrupy and sweet, and it just isn't. the wheat malt is nothing special, but it is fresh too, and the yeast comes across a bit generic, but the raspberry is the intended star here. this is like the lemon shandy and the apple version were at the brewery, very potent and fresh. its hard for me to knock this, because at the source it really is worth drinking. a little sweet, a little thicker than it needs to be, but for a macro, its quite good when its fresh.

06-16-2013 15:36:15 | More by StonedTrippin
pjkelley82

3.16/5  rDev +13.7%

One of the better raspberry beers I have had. Not the best but definitely would say try. I agree it is definitely a good beer to give to your lady if she's not into beer too much. The "Beer" aspect of it is not to complex which is why, and rightfully so it's not outstanding. Typical AB... make a cheap beer and put raspberries in it... I have to say this Is a good beer y time pop can bring with you to a party/beach and pound a few down easy. Very easy drinking and for what it's worth I didn't love it but would not be surprised if I was drinking it again. To me the raspberry taste was not aftificial and not overpowering. Was balanced well but again nothing much in the beer part of it.

06-11-2013 02:56:11 | More by pjkelley82
SMarq17

2.93/5  rDev +5.4%

I didn't see the beer out of the bottle so not sure of the appearance other than the foam was minimal inside the bottle and it appeared a little cloudy like most wheat beers that I have seen.

The smell was very strong rasberry and very sweet, almost sugary...nothing beer-like at all. The taste was equally sweet. There was the 1st impression that I was drinking a fruit cooler from the 80s, like Bartles & Jaymes.

The texture was smooth and not much carbonation at all...again like a fruit cooler. I didn't notice any aftertaste. There really wasn't anything to tell me that this was an alcoholic beverage. Maybe this had to do with alternating with the white and wheat IPA at the same time (part of the sampler 12pk) so I simply didn't notice an aftertaste while drinking the rasberry.

Overall, it was a sweet drink and almost koolaidy without any alcoholic theme. I would drink it again if there was nothing else available but I won't buy it for myself. It seemed like just an inoffensive beverage although I did notice the 5.2% so it must have some effect after a few, yet I would describe it as basically "nothing special".

06-03-2013 18:08:05 | More by SMarq17
Lisa_Dill

Georgia

4.49/5  rDev +61.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 5

For sitting and watching sporting events at home this is a wonderful beer. Great chic beer! Even a few guy friends like it but wouldn't admit it to anyone. Not too sweet and doesn't really taste like beer. Once again your girlfriend might like it.

There a lot of craft beers I have been trying & this site was recommended so here I am. If I had known I would had reviewed much sooner. Look forward to UFC this weekend and more beers to try.

04-25-2013 19:32:58 | More by Lisa_Dill
GreesyFizeek

2.99/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Review from the bottle.

Pours hazy golden. One inch head, no lacing.

Aroma is pure raspberry Kool-Aid.

The taste is pure raspberry Kool-Aid. Really, that's it. No real wheat beer characteristics here, it shares more in common with wine coolers or Kool Aid than beer.

Crackly carbonation, very crisp. The real plus to the beer, I suppose. Light bodied.

Not really beer. It's drinkable, but way too artificial and sweet.

03-06-2013 00:35:18 | More by GreesyFizeek
Kastler

Washington

3.65/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into a frosty beer mug.

Appearance - looks similar to apple cider; very light and goldenrod; a thick foamy head

Smell - raspberry aroma is slightly overpowering, but it smells delicious

Taste - very sweet, strong raspberry taste; a little bit overpowering for the beer but still easy to drink

Mouthfeel - excellent feel for any wheat beer; minimal carbonation

Overall - a great beer; i honestly really like the taste, especially for the amount of ABV that it holds; a lot of people criticize it for its strong raspberry influence but that's what it is: Raspberry Wheat. Not "Typical Wheat Beer with a hint of raspberry"

02-11-2013 04:12:44 | More by Kastler
jrnichols

2.16/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

I've been sampling and reviewing some of the beers left in my fridge after a party. Sometimes it's nice to try beers I wouldn't ordinarily buy on my own. This is one of those kind of beers.

Appearance: Pale golden in color and cloudy. Had a nice foamy head on it when poured but it soon dissipated.

Smell: I can smell the rasberry scent, but not much else. Not a stong smell or very complex. Certainly not yeasty, or wheaty like many wheat beers.

Taste: The raspberry flavor is the first thing to hit you. However it is kind of artificial tasting, more like raspberry candy. I do taste a hintof citrus and a bit of a coriander flavor, but the taste as a whole is not very complex. The wheat ale base does not stand out above the raspberry. Kind of a strange aftertaste which reminds me of cough drops.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent and light. Goes down smooth.

Overall: Not a very complex beer. A mediocre wheat beer which is not improved by the addition of raspberry flavor. It is a smooth drinking beer, but the raspberry leaves a kind of cough-drop-like aftertaste which does not leave me wanting another. Kind of a letdown since I am a big fan of raspberries as a fruit.

02-11-2013 01:25:54 | More by jrnichols
smakawhat

Maryland

2.44/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass. I stole your beer from your fridge!!

A very soapy but good retention head, bleach white and three fingers tall. Body color is a hazy classic looking wheat beer yellow with some bronze and slight gray edges. Good carbonation rising nicely. This is quite nice looking and solid.

Nose is pure raspberry syrup, and extremely dominant, with a very large candy sweetness. There's nothing else to even hint at any esters, malt or other beer like flavors. It is a raspberry beer, so it's delivering so far so I'll give it that.

Palate is extremely wet. Large thin watery raspberry dominates the palate, no beer backbone to this at all. Tight carbonation with no malt presence. Thin. Seltzery, quite gaseous. Slightly strangely alcohol warming for such a normal abv.

This is nothing but sugar water. Overall this is exactly like those raspberry seltzer-y bottles of water you can buy at the supermarket. If that's what you want in a beer for taste, then this is your thing. Unfortunately this hardly tastes like beer let alone some sort of wheat brew. Pass.

02-03-2013 22:51:28 | More by smakawhat
fischerking

4.25/5  rDev +52.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat from St. Louis, MO.

This beer has a great raspberry smell and an equally good raspberry flavor. Refreshing raspberry wheat.

I drank it from a bottle from Food City in Knoxville, TN on 12/19/2012 from a create your own 6-pack.

12-20-2012 01:04:48 | More by fischerking
jjamadorphd

3.95/5  rDev +42.1%

I was very pleased and surprised by this beer considering the pumpkin wheat version was good and I had some reservations about the raspberry working as well, from a taste perspective.

Its appearance was nothing spectacular - it was your run-of-the-mill yellow-orange ale look. It was even cloudier than I expected. The head was almost non-existent and there was no lacing to mention. Smell was what surprised me - a very appealing scent of raspberry that I thought mixed well with the hops - very appealing. Taste was just as good, if not better than the smell. Mouthfeel was nothing memorable - like most of the beers I've partaken of lately.

Overall, I think it deserves it score due to its strong and mouth-watering odor of raspberry with a taste to match.

12-15-2012 02:03:53 | More by jjamadorphd
lwillitz

2.68/5  rDev -3.6%

12-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - 2 fingers of bubbly ever-so-slightly-off-white head over a cloudy yellow body with sediment and a small amount of carbonation bubbles; head dissipates quickly into nothing

S - mostly raspberry (seems artificial) with a hint of wheat

T - sweet raspberry and wheat, citrus, touch of spice

M - thin body, low/average carbonation

O - not much to the smell or taste; overly sweet; like drinking a soft drink

12-05-2012 20:51:41 | More by lwillitz
CurtisPeacock

2.45/5  rDev -11.9%

A: This beer pours a hazy light gold with a moderate 1 inch head. On the thinner side of lacing with just a little sticking around after the initial pour.

S: Light wheat smell with a rich burst of raspberry. Very pleasing smell, really gets you excited to try

T: Fail. Not a fan in any sense of this beer's taste. The first sip is not bad. A good amount of your typical wheat beer taste and a strong punch of raspberry. Unfortunately, after the first drink it's out with the good and in with the bad. The raspberry is overwhelming. One of the sweetest beers I have ever had. If you do enjoy really rich, sweet beers than this may be worth a try. The smell drew me in but the overwhelming sweetness drove me away.

M: A little on the watery side. Not very wheat beer like.

Overall: This beer is just too sweet for myself. If you are a fan of beers such as Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy or like wine coolers than this may be for you. Otherwise I would suggest looking elsewhere.

11-14-2012 20:04:49 | More by CurtisPeacock
boilermakerbrew

3.48/5  rDev +25.2%

A- Pours a hazy, light gold-yellow hue. Typical wheat beer look. Good retention on a medium 2 finger head. Remnants of the head persist for a good while, but lacing is barely present.

S- Light wheat and grassy notes are present. Sweet, somewhat artificial raspberry flavoring dominates the nose after the wheat notes.

T- Starts off with a solid wheat beer flavor profile and quickly transitions to a semisweet raspberry flavor. Raspberry flavor is fairly artificial tasting, but still a pleasant flavor. Nothing complex here, just wheat and raspberry.

M- Light and refreshing. Crisp with high levels of carbonation. Wheat is rather light, and mixed in with the raspberry, the weight of the liquid is adequate. Could easily drink these until your heart's content.

Overall, this is among my favorite, everyday wheat beers. Despite the artificial raspberry flavoring, it is enjoyable, cheap, and easy to find.

11-03-2012 21:30:34 | More by boilermakerbrew
TheSixthRing

2.15/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance - Pours a hazy straw yellow with a 2-finger head. Average retention. Thin, spotty lacing.

Smell - Predominant notes of wheat and raspberry. Simple, but I love the smell of raspberries.

Taste - Ugggh! How do you screw up raspberry? Wheat, then a bit of raspberry sweetness upfront, followed by a jumbled, dirty mess on the back end; watery... dirty water with a splash of raspberry tea. Good God!

Mouthfeel - Watery body, with very little carbonation.

Overall - I thought this was gonna be the best of the Shock Top offerings, based purely on the raspberry factor, but like the crew of the Prometheus, I was wrong. So wrong. This one takes "The Razzie" award, pun intended.

11-01-2012 22:24:33 | More by TheSixthRing
weekendwarrior

3.85/5  rDev +38.5%

Bored with your normal cheap/on sale beer? This beer is a fun drink. The thick raspberry taste is great! A sweet tasting beer for around $7.00 a six pack. Wheat beer is always creamier and thicker than the normal on sale beer. Add some raspberry flavored sweetener and you've got Shock Top Raspberry Wheat! Stronger buzz at 5.20% compared to 5.00%! A good time for sure!

10-25-2012 06:06:19 | More by weekendwarrior
twiggamortis420

2.33/5  rDev -16.2%

12 oz bottle pours a hazed gold color with a bubbly white head that fades super fast to a small collar. No lacing at all.

Whoa...that is raspberry pungent! Sweet and candy-esque. Kinda artificial smelling, but not all that bad.

Taste is mildly repulsive...it is kind of jammy tasting with a metallic twang. Leaves a bad aftertaste, like sucking on a rusty nail. The flavor is full of artificial raspberry and does not leave much of the 'Belgian Wit' in it's wake...which is not such a bad idea in the case of the original Shock Top. I was waiting to find this as a single to find out how bad it was...and while it is worth the 1.50 for the experience, Id be hard pressed to finish a sixer of this in a year-long span.

10-11-2012 23:32:13 | More by twiggamortis420