Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-16-2011

Raspberry Wheat delivers the same smooth taste of Shock Top, with a hint of raspberry flavor. This traditional Belgian-style wheat ale is brewed with essence of wild raspberry and hand-selected hops. It’s this combination that gives it its crisp and distinctive Shock Top taste, with its own flavorful twist. This unfiltered ale has a light-golden color and a smooth finish, and if you’re curious, it technically doesn’t, not count toward your daily fruit intake.
Ratings: 942 | Reviews: 160
4.75/5  rDev +69.6%

I like it

4.49/5  rDev +60.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 5

For sitting and watching sporting events at home this is a wonderful beer. Great chic beer! Even a few guy friends like it but wouldn't admit it to anyone. Not too sweet and doesn't really taste like beer. Once again your girlfriend might like it.

There a lot of craft beers I have been trying & this site was recommended so here I am. If I had known I would had reviewed much sooner. Look forward to UFC this weekend and more beers to try.

4.39/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Color - Cloudy, light purplish color

Aroma - Smells like raspberry

Palate - Smooth, refreshing, sweet, raspberry

Overall - Great summer beer!

4.32/5  rDev +54.3%

If you enjoy fruity beers this is pretty tasty. If you want something totally different from normal beer this is also fairly acceptable. The color of this beer is light, yellowish. The smell is extremely sweet. It has a very fruity taste which can throw some people off. The overall taste is not that bad. After drinking more than one or two I'm sure it can be a bit much. Overall not a failure.

4.23/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat from St. Louis, MO.

This beer has a great raspberry smell and an equally good raspberry flavor. Refreshing raspberry wheat.

I drank it from a bottle from Food City in Knoxville, TN on 12/19/2012 from a create your own 6-pack.

4.15/5  rDev +48.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

- Light purpley/pink colored
- Smells of berries and sweetness
- Tart after taste
- Smooth easy to drink
- Too sweet to drink a lot of

4.12/5  rDev +47.1%

12oz bottle poured into a wine glass. No stamped date as far as I can tell.

Appearance - Foggy gold body with a medium white head with fine bubbling, decent if slippery lacing and medium retention.

Smell - Initially smells pretty sweet. After letting the beer breathe in a glass, it becomes dry and wheaty. Almost leathery.

Taste - Very sweet body with a clean, almost dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Good mouthfeel. Very carbonated, light and refreshing.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent beer for what it attempt to be. May seem a little too sweet at first, but after the initial shock (they do call it shock top after all, right?) your tastebuds become immune to it. Light, refreshing. Not complex, but not dull. I'd recommend trying it once. Might be a panty dropper.

4.1/5  rDev +46.4%

With a delicious & bold taste, this beer lives up to it's name with a fantastic raspberry wallop in every chug. This is so tasty and refreshing, it could get ya drunk fast. Luckily, I'd probably stop at two, as the sweetness & tartness gets to be a little much for a session.

4.07/5  rDev +45.4%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by raspberries. Taste is big on raspberry up front, sweet and tart, somne wheat is present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

4.02/5  rDev +43.6%

Poured from a 12 oz brown twistoff bottle into a pint glass.

A - A rigorous pour yields a finger or so of white head that fizzles out quickly. A tiny ring of lace still presides around the edge of the glass as bubbles slowly float to the top. A slightly hazy straw color doesn't look impressive. You might be able to say there is a pinkish tinge that comes from the raspberries or raspberry flavoring, but its not too prominent.

S - Fairly neutral nose. Smells lightly of raspberries with some wheat character as well.

T - Wow I am completely surprised by this. I was really expecting typical AB grassyness corn sugar party, but this one really has some great clean flavors and I find nothing wrong with the flavor of this beer. The light raspberry flavor mixed with a light wheat character makes for a very refreshing and tasty beer. My only gripe here might just be that it needs more flavor.

M - Light and fizzy. Refreshing.

O - I really appreciate how reserved the fruit flavors of this beer are. I usually shy away from fruit beers because the tartness or sweetness are just way too much that it doesn't seem like beer anymore. This one strikes a great balance for me and I don't think its a bad offering at all from AB.

3.96/5  rDev +41.4%

I was very pleased and surprised by this beer considering the pumpkin wheat version was good and I had some reservations about the raspberry working as well, from a taste perspective.

Its appearance was nothing spectacular - it was your run-of-the-mill yellow-orange ale look. It was even cloudier than I expected. The head was almost non-existent and there was no lacing to mention. Smell was what surprised me - a very appealing scent of raspberry that I thought mixed well with the hops - very appealing. Taste was just as good, if not better than the smell. Mouthfeel was nothing memorable - like most of the beers I've partaken of lately.

Overall, I think it deserves it score due to its strong and mouth-watering odor of raspberry with a taste to match.

3.96/5  rDev +41.4%

A-hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly; but leaves some lacing
S-strong raspberry smell is all I smell
T- sweet raspberry taste that changes to a tart raspberry aftertaste that turns back sweeter in the finish
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-this was a great mass produced beer that has a great price. I wonder why so many here are anti AB? This is a great beer

3.95/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a Good flavored beer all year round.

3.92/5  rDev +40%

I find it Amusing how some reviewers give this Beer such a Low Rating,because they start out by stating that "Fruit Beers" are not really their thing~then proceed to slag this Beer to no end,saying things like "too sweet and way too much Raspberry flavor"..Derp! what do you expect guys? Raspberries are Sweet..very Sweet,and if you brew a beer with them,the beer is most certianly going to have a sweet edge to it,I also find that there are a lot of folks who take gr8 pleasure in bashing ANY "Shock Top" Beer..Maybe because of the whole Anheuser-Busch Thing,and the fact that some people feel AB is trying to pull a fast one by Marketing Shock Top as a Small Micro Brewery and not the Gigantic Huge Company it actually is...but I really do not care about that,because to me,a Good Beer is a Good Beer,no matter if it is brewed in small batches by a few dedicated bunch of hard working individuals,or
cranked out in massive Amounts by Computer controlled mega Breweries,I Have had Fantastic and just plain Crappy brews by both systems;)
It's actually quite simple,if you enjoy Fruit Beers,and do not want to pay 15 bucks a 6er,Shock Top has some very good ones [Honey Crisp Apple wheat being my favorite] I also enjoy this Raspberry wheat a gr8 deal~what I do not understand,is why so many people who do not like Fruit beers feel the need to slag both of these brews,I Understand that these are not your traditional type brews,and some people just do not want fruit in their beer..I Get that! but perhaps if you are one of these folks who want their beer with NO Fruit,and just do not like Fruit Beers period...maybe stick to reviewing the type of beers you enjoy and not bash a brew you know right off the bat you will not like..just a thought guys;)
anyway,Shock Top Raspberry wheat is a very decent Fruit Beer,not quite as good as their Honey Crisp Apple Wheat..but still very,Very Nice Indeed! but I have to admit,the Honey Crisp Apple Wheat is just Amazing! and pretty much my favorite Fruit Beer ever~Cheers&Peace2All.

3.91/5  rDev +39.6%

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat has a thick, creamy, cream-colored head and a hazy (which gets more-so when one swishes the bottom of the bottle), bubbly appearance. The aroma is of raspberry and light grain. Taste is very strong with the raspberry flavoring, and one also gets bread, orange, and sweetness. There is really no bitterness here. The mouthfeel is medium and a bit soft, and Shock Top Raspberry Wheat finishes crisp and refreshing. Drinkability is astronomical. Interestingly, as I drank it down, I did start to notice the alcohol coming through a bit. This is one of the better flavored beers that I’ve tried.

RJT

3.9/5  rDev +39.3%

I always want fruit flavored beers to be good, and this one finally hits the spot. This has a solid head, a pronounced raspberry smell, and a nice flavor to drive it home. It may be a bit too carbonated, though. I will look for this the next time I'm in the mood for a fruity beer.

3.89/5  rDev +38.9%

Nice Belgian with a hint of fruitiness but not overwhelmingly so.

3.88/5  rDev +38.6%

Smells of raspberry, wheat, and maybe malt. The raspberry dominates the other smells.

Raspberry is the dominant but wheat and maybe malt come through in the taste also.

Mouthfeel is of very little carbonation and a little flat (which may be specific to the bottle purchased).

Overall, the raspberry taste is pleasing with the wheat which is makes it a good beer to enjoy every once in awhile.

3.86/5  rDev +37.9%

Surprisingly good. Not as sweet as Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss in my opinion.

3.82/5  rDev +36.4%

Bored with your normal cheap/on sale beer? This beer is a fun drink. The thick raspberry taste is great! A sweet tasting beer for around $7.00 a six pack. Wheat beer is always creamier and thicker than the normal on sale beer. Add some raspberry flavored sweetener and you've got Shock Top Raspberry Wheat! Stronger buzz at 5.20% compared to 5.00%! A good time for sure!

3.8/5  rDev +35.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Color was hazy yellow, almost pineapple. Looked a lot like a hefeweizen. About an inch of head. Frosty lacing on the top. Frosty sporadic film on the sides.

Smelled of raspberry right away with what also appeared to be strawberries. Nothing else really came through.

Tasted raspberry up front, but not as strong as I thought it would be considering the smell. Not much happened after the initial raspberry hit, though.

Light body. Slick texture. Lively carbonation (moderate). Smooth finish with raspberry left on the tongue.

Embarressly (that’s a new word), I liked this beer a lot more before I started rating beers. I still enjoy it as it reminds me of raspberry ice cream. Good summer beer.

3.78/5  rDev +35%

Overall, a good and unique new beer. I enjoyed a glass of it after a brewery tour in St. Louis. Give it a chance before you go bashing it because it is an AB product. This flavor is not quite as good as the Belgian White in my opinion however I would purchase this stuff any day.

3.77/5  rDev +34.6%

In the middle of a flavored wit tasting I didn't expect much from this beer. I do have to give it some decent marks as it fits the style well ans is a nice brew to encourage neophytes to try the style.

The nose is clearly a wheat with raspberry and it poured pale cloudy with a little less head that standard. The mouth was surprisingly good and the finish was clearly raspberry.

A-B has done a lot to screw-up American beer taste but this one moves them in the right direction, it not all the way.

3.77/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My dad forced me to try, he is not a big craft beer guy and he thought I would like this. I'm not a fruit, wheat or Belgium fan. I can't stand shock top. That said this wasn't as horrible as I expected. Not great but drinkable for shock top.

3.77/5  rDev +34.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a murky gold with a one-finger head, no lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Raspberry, light wheat, light grassy note. The raspberry smells good.

Taste: Sweet raspberries on the front with a light wheat taste following, a tad bit watery. It's good.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body and high carbonation, crisp and refreshing, easy drinker.

Overall: A tasty and refreshing raspberry beer. This is my final review for the original three Shock Tops, and I must say that I am impressed once again.

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat from Anheuser-Busch