Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-16-2011

Raspberry Wheat delivers the same smooth taste of Shock Top, with a hint of raspberry flavor. This traditional Belgian-style wheat ale is brewed with essence of wild raspberry and hand-selected hops. It’s this combination that gives it its crisp and distinctive Shock Top taste, with its own flavorful twist. This unfiltered ale has a light-golden color and a smooth finish, and if you’re curious, it technically doesn’t, not count toward your daily fruit intake.
Ratings: 942 | Reviews: 160
3.77/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My dad forced me to try, he is not a big craft beer guy and he thought I would like this. I'm not a fruit, wheat or Belgium fan. I can't stand shock top. That said this wasn't as horrible as I expected. Not great but drinkable for shock top.

2.6/5  rDev -7.1%

Serving: From the bottle
Served: 17 May 2015

Appearance: Had this one from the bottle, so I can't comment much about that. Terrible branding and labelling. Honestly, if ABI is trying to break into the craft beer crowd with this, they could at least pick a less douchy label.

Smell: Raspberry purée with a slight beeriness.

Taste: Artificial raspberry purée flavor, very sweet, like a raspberry smoothy. Weirdly acidic finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin body with medium carbonation. Feels lacking.

Overall: Among the weirdest beers I've had. Not the worst, but up there.

2.77/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This is more of a raspberry cooler/beer hybrid. It's oddly refreshing, but not the sort of thing I would go out of my way to find. There is no doubt that some heavy duty chemical enhancements are at work here. I couldn't help but think of the section in "Fast Food Nation" that explored the flavor labs of New Jersey as I sipped this. If I wasn't thinking, this might not be so bad...

2.95/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Raspberry wheat pours a golden color with a reddish hue, small but long lasting head. There is a artificial sweet aroma. Artificial raspberry flavor, grainy, and a tea like flavor; tastes like water downed power raspberry iced tea. Flat and watery. Overall looks good, bad artificial flavors.

4.1/5  rDev +46.4%

With a delicious & bold taste, this beer lives up to it's name with a fantastic raspberry wallop in every chug. This is so tasty and refreshing, it could get ya drunk fast. Luckily, I'd probably stop at two, as the sweetness & tartness gets to be a little much for a session.

4.15/5  rDev +48.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

- Light purpley/pink colored
- Smells of berries and sweetness
- Tart after taste
- Smooth easy to drink
- Too sweet to drink a lot of

4.39/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Color - Cloudy, light purplish color

Aroma - Smells like raspberry

Palate - Smooth, refreshing, sweet, raspberry

Overall - Great summer beer!

3.58/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ok bought this for my daughter and her friends who housesat for us last weekend. There were a couple left over so I thought I would dry one. Poured nice with a good 3 finger head the dissipated pretty quick. Smells like a raspberry drink, real strong raspberry smell. Taste like a light beer with raspberry in it. The thing that stood out in this beer is the taste is not medicical. With the exception of Blushing Monk this is the only beer that had a good clean raspberry taste, thus the high rating. Not something I would drink on a regular basis, but not a bad beer to have on hand, my wife who is willing to taste every beer I have (and doesn't like beer) actually thought it was pretty good, probably because it doesn't taste much like a beer. That said not a bad effort. One side note, if AB ever wanted to get into sours, this would be a great one to take there. If it was more on the sour side vs sweet side I would probably go back for more

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Should I simply say ewww so I have enough words to rate it?

3.4/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO for around $2.60 for a 473ml can. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass.

A- Opens well and pours a small head that is gone in seconds. Very cloudy as a wheat beer should be

S- Oodles of raspberry. A whole field full

T- That field of berries are back! Never had this much raspberry flavor in a beer before. Super saturated. Gets a bit sickly sweet though.

M- Pretty dry and tart.

O- A bit too much berry flavor. Hits you in the mouth a bit too hard. Had it, enjoyed it, will not buy it again.

Food Pairing

The berry beer went well with.... Soda crackers! Just something dry helps this beer out taking that berry blast down a notch

Enjoy

3.62/5  rDev +29.3%

The Rapsberry taste is definitely prevalent, but I enjoyed the taste. As it warmed, however, it did lose some luster. It's on par for what I'd expect.

2.89/5  rDev +3.2%

Interesting Beer, more like a wine cooler in many ways, summer time beer, served cold and drank cold, as it gets warm the flavor is over powering, raspberry cool-aid comes to mind...

3.57/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Good full raspberry flavor. When a drink says "raspberry" or "apple" or whatever, I expect it to taste like it. This beer does that.

It poured nicely, nice frothy head that didn't linger too long. poured cloudy and remained cloudy the entire time..

Nice easy drinker.

3.89/5  rDev +38.9%

Nice Belgian with a hint of fruitiness but not overwhelmingly so.

3.08/5  rDev +10%

Way, waaaay too sweet and fruity. They went over the top with this one. It's not bad, per se, but I wouldn't want to drink more than one at a time. Even then, there are many other raspberry beers that are far more subtle and tasty.

2.88/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Tastes better than it smells.

It smells very sweet and fruity, but the taste is a little more balanced.

3.95/5  rDev +41.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a Good flavored beer all year round.

2.67/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I'm literally drinking this as I type, and overall, it's bit of a let down. I disagree with some of the reviews citing it to be sweet- I find it rather bland. Pretty solid mouthfeel, but a complete emptiness on the palate after the initial raspberry. It's not terrible but by no means will I seek this out.

Definite raspberry on the nose and palate. Kinda sweet with a bit of coriander finish. Would be a nice summer beer for the patio but nothing special.

3.86/5  rDev +37.9%

Surprisingly good. Not as sweet as Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss in my opinion.

3.2/5  rDev +14.3%

Way too sweet with a tart after taste. My girlfriend wanted it so i got her some and it just didn't suit me.

4.75/5  rDev +69.6%

I like it

2.31/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Hazy straw colored body, a fizzy white head that actually doesn't recede as quickly as I expected. Just a few dots of lacing, if that.

Aroma: An immediate metallic note, then raspberry syrup.

Taste: Not a lot going on other than raspberry fruitiness, some tart in the finish. Very sweet, syrupy.

Mouthfeel: Pretty sticky, syrupy.

Overall: Like the other flavored wheat beers I've had from this "brewery" this is too syrupy, too sweet, and doesn't taste like it's brewed with natural ingredients. Even the bottle states "Raspberry flavor added." Not real raspberries, just the "flavor" ...

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

My girlfriend wanted it, I think it wasted some space in my cooler. Very strong "raspberry" flavor, not bad if you like that. Reminded me of Leinie's berry Weiss

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Served at around 5C in a slightly oversized Belgium glass.
Appearance: Golden colour and very slightly cloudy. Thin white head.
Smell: Raspberry and that's about it.
Taste: Moderate, tasty, and lingering raspberry flavour. Some wheat can be detected, but not much. Definitely on the sweet side and no bite on the finish. Very drinkable and almost anybody would be able to finish a glass.
Body: Light-bodied.
Overall: Nothing complex and not at the top of its style, but it makes for a good summer beer that is drinkable for pretty much everybody.

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat from Anheuser-Busch