Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Raspberry WheatShock Top Raspberry Wheat

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-16-2011

Raspberry Wheat delivers the same smooth taste of Shock Top, with a hint of raspberry flavor. This traditional Belgian-style wheat ale is brewed with essence of wild raspberry and hand-selected hops. It’s this combination that gives it its crisp and distinctive Shock Top taste, with its own flavorful twist. This unfiltered ale has a light-golden color and a smooth finish, and if you’re curious, it technically doesn’t, not count toward your daily fruit intake.

This is putrid. Absolutely disgusting. Like someone poured spoiled raspberry juice into a Shock Top. Seriously, I love regular Shock Top, but this is horrible.

Will never buy or drink again.

1.12/5  rDev -60.7%

I hated every aspect of this beer.

It smelled like girl farts and raspberries...and tasted about the same. I can't even take the time to honestly rate this beer. It is horrible...and I hate myself for drinking it. This was supposed to be a belgian style wheat, but was so far off style, I don't know what you would call it. More like a bartels and james than anything really...

1.13/5  rDev -60.4%

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat is a perfect case of a beer that shouldn't be served to anyone who has ever tasted any other beer before. It is, to say the least, abysmal.

Why? The taste, the smell, even the appearance is saddening to senses.

A: Served with almost no head, unless you call the soda-like fizz a head. The pinkish-tinted gold is not attractive or appetizing at all.
S: Yeah, that's raspberry all right. I guess I can see how they named the beer. If there was anything else in this brew, I couldn't discern it through my nose.
T: God, have mercy on my tastebuds. There's raspberry, again, that's certain. As for wheat? I'm not convinced. Maybe AB used a hint of wheat, but if they did, it wasn't much. The raspberry is way too overpowering, and the wheat almost non-existent.
M: Fizzy. Too fizzy, it tickled my tongue like a bad soda.
O: I'll avoid this in the future. I suggest you do the same.

1.33/5  rDev -53.3%

Girlfriend picked this up hoping it would be something she would enjoy. Hated it and left to sit - figured I'd give it a shot. Let me just say this is bad. Just plain bad.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass. Appears a very, very clear light yellow color. A huge lack of coloration here. Has a two-finger white sudsy head that dissipates very quickly. Leaves no lacing.

Smells slightly of raspberries and has very odd aromas underneath that - can't quite pick it out. Also get some alcohol notes and wheat. Just not an inviting nose. The taste is almost nothing. It really is missing tons of flavor, almost the same flavor levels as a Propel water. What little flavor there is is light raspberry and wheat as well as an alcohol hint. For a 5.2% beer this gives off way too much alcohol aromas and flavors.

The mouthfeel seems almost flat. Very thin and watery. The carbonation seemed to be there in the pour but there is a lack of it on the palate. Overall, this is crap. Girlfriend wishes she had never picked it up and was extremely disappointed in it. I didn't expect much, but this didn't even meet my expectations.

1.37/5  rDev -51.9%

Ooof, that's awful. Nothing to recommend this one at all. Artificial in character. Sticky sweet. Doughy mouthfeel. Unnatural tasting finish. Shock Top orange is at least drinkable. This is not. Actively unpleasant. Feh.

Update: It is my understanding that the morons at Anheuser-Busch are considering marketing this dreck here in Canada as craft beer. Lie to us some more. We love it. Jerks.

1.4/5  rDev -50.9%

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a light bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of fake raspberry syrup is quite awful with quite a bit of residual sugars. This is closer to a cooler than beer. Taste is a mix between some grainy wheat malt notes with quite a bit of residual sugar and way too much of the awful raspberry syrup. Body is light with good carbonation. I wasn’t expecting some kind of masterpiece but what a bunch of crap this beer was.

1.41/5  rDev -50.5%

I bought this as part of a variety case of Shock Top wheat beers (a choice I now regret). I did not notice that the beer is made in about seven cities in Canada and the US since it was displayed in the "Craft Beer" section of the liquor store. What a joke.

Poured from the bottle into a stemmed beer glass. An inch of white foam collapsed quickly to a little bit of lacing. Lots of carbonation. Faint raspberry smell. The taste is deeply artificial, sickly sweet, cloying, and unpleasant. The raspberry flavour being used is clearly of a low quality and poorly matched with a wheat beer. The wheat beer aspects are totally opaque because of the intense raspberry, so it doesn't even taste like beer, per se.

In disbelief I shared the beer with a family member, who was similarly disgusted and commented on the cloying, syrupy taste and mouth feel. Frankly, the taste is so unpleasant and the carbonation so blunt that it is hard to tell whether the underlying mouth feel is pleasant or not. It is extremely one-note and borders on both British "alco-pops" and children's cough syrup.

I will be attempting to give the remainder of the case away to friends who "don't really like beer that much" but love Granville Island's raspberry offering (an example of this style done fairly well, although it is barely beer). I will also avoid Shock Top in the future. Disgusting.

1.48/5  rDev -48.1%

When dispensed, it had a nice head. It poured and remained cloudy so I was expecting a smooth body and mouth feel. When i brought the glass toward my mouth, it had an overwhelming odor of berries. Not pleasant. I sipped it and the flavor was reminiscent of cough syrup. The body was thin and disappointing. I could not finish it.

When I drink a beer with flavorings, I like it to be subtle. The flavors should meld together and act as a whole. This beer is not balanced and does not hit the mark.

1.54/5  rDev -46%

This beer has an uneven hue from yellow to a medium gold, otherwise fairly consistent to the style. However, contrary to the style the head retention was low.

As soon as the bottle opened an overpowering smell of (you guessed it) raspberries was noticeable. After poured into the glassware I was able to detect a slight 'wheat' smell.

As with the smell there was an overpowering raspberry taste. It was very sweet with little other qualities. There was medium to high carbonation with lighter than expected body. The after taste was semi-dry and again of raspberries.

I do not fell this beer is all that consistent to the style but with that said the raspberry flavor is way to overpowering. The worst part is the more you drink the stronger it gets.

1.59/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured in a pint glass from bottle. Pours a nice, hazy orange with small head that dissipates quickly. Like most everyone else, this drinks like a raspberry soda. It has lots of raspberry flavor and a little bit of hay malt flavor in the background. Very fizzy and watery. It’s not terrible, but it’s just cloying.

1.64/5  rDev -42.5%

Big white head quickly falls into a an alright lacing above a hazy washout honey colored wheat beer.

A light soupy to sour grain aroma with a hint of canned raspberries.

A light sweet raspberry taste tops off a light sour grain and even lighter hops taste.

A light dryness comes through another wise bland aftertaste.

I love raspberries and this beer is not good.

1.66/5  rDev -41.8%

I just sucked on a store brand jolly rancher candy. This is the pinnacle to the embarrassment that St. Louis needs to address, and fix. This has the smell and taste of a boxed wine sweetened with 7up, artificial everything. I have no idea of what to pair this with, possibly a bottle of the cheapest vodka one could find. Maybe then, a few college undergrads might touch it. Oh well, I was taught how to dislike and apparently society hit this one on the bottle nose.

1.68/5  rDev -41.1%

I am a fan of wheat ales, fresh raspberries, and subtle fruit adjuncts. None of these present here.

Nice appearance, despite little head retention

Smell, taste, and mouthfeel are similar to drinking a cheap raspberry-syrup winecooler. I almost gagged

1.72/5  rDev -39.6%

Traded one of my beers for his, unfortunately.

Before I review, let it be known I do not mind what Shock Top has produced (Wheat IPA and Belgian White are both beers I do not mind). However, this beer is just not good in my opinion. The taste of the fruit and raspberry is overbearing, it made me feel like I was drinking juice that was too sugary. I would explore other beers that Shock Top has to offer, since this one is far and away the worst of what they have to offer.

1.75/5  rDev -38.6%

My girlfriend wanted it, I think it wasted some space in my cooler. Very strong "raspberry" flavor, not bad if you like that. Reminded me of Leinie's berry Weiss

1.8/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours a golden yellow with a thin white head that has good carbonation, retention and lacing. The nose consists of a very strong raspberry flavoring along with some wheat and maybe some other sweet flavorings, but not really sure. The taste starts out with a fake raspberry taste that follows some wheat and some hops that are hard to taste with the bad raspberry taste in my mouth. The aftertaste has the bad raspberry taste along with a soapy taste that makes me want to grab another beer to wash the taste away. I'll even take a busch light at this point over this light bodied thin watery beer that should be discontinued as soon as possible.

1.81/5  rDev -36.5%

A- Pours a surprisingly orange hue with expected cloudiness. A half inch weak white head fades quickly to a thin rim leaving no lacing. For a wheat beer it is a strange color and has a shocking lack of head, but it does look kind of cool with that orangey glow it gives.

S- Overripened berries and tangy malt come through first followed by an unenjoyable lite beer / adjunct character. Seems like it couldve been decent without that.

T- Awfully unrounded, each part sticks out huge in the mouth. First comes the light beer character of watery lager, followed by a big over ripe fruit character and finishing with both a hint of bitterness and a strongly sweet raspberry. None of the parts in themselves are overly appealing and each sticks out from each other, making the overall experience a bit of a rotating mess on the tongue. As the beer warms the fruit flavor becomes more dominating but seems artificial.

M- A bit watery and with only a mild carbonation. If the taste were good it seems like the mouthfeel would be at a nice level to make this an easy drinking fruit beer, unfortunately the conglomerated mess of flavors that come forward stick in the mouth.

D- People actually drink this? like more than one? Why? Its utterly unenjoyable and superbly dissapointing for all the things it could be. With a little more effort it seems that this could be a decent fruit wheat beer (e.g. Sam Adam's Blackberry Wit) instead it comes out as this wild assortment of unfortunate flavors added to a bad light beer base. This is not good.

1.81/5  rDev -36.5%

During the summer I enjoy a fruity wheat bear or two. I purchased a six on a whim and was thoroughly disappointed. Upon opening, the beer had a fruity aroma of raspberry. Poured into a tulip glass the beer had an amber appearance with lots of carbonation. Upon sipping the beer I noticed a very sickly sweet taste that kept on giving and giving. Carbonation was very heavy thus mouthful was fizzy. Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this beer.

1.84/5  rDev -35.4%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured the expected cloudy yellow with just a thin cap of white head that had no retention and very light lacing.

The aroma was strongly raspberry syrup. So much so, that it obliterated any other scent. The taste was the same, only artificial tasting raspberry was present, no wheat, no yeast, no spice.

The body was very light and thin for a wheat beer, none of the solid earth I like in the style. Drinkability was OK, but why bother? Overall, if you like Raspberry Jolly Ranchers, you'll like this beer. Otherwise, avoid it.

2.05/5  rDev -28.1%

A cloudy gold here, with large head and no lace on the glass at all.

Aroma is raspberry. Appealing, but overpowering.

Taste reveals sweetness. Very sweet. This is one beer that needs a definite balance. I get nothing of the grains or hops, just a big sweet, artificial metallic-tasting raspberry.

Avoid this one at all costs. Yech.

2.05/5  rDev -28.1%

Looks appetizing, but is much too sweet, and the sweetness comes through in the smell as well. It overpowers every other aspect of the beer. I've been pleasantly surprised by Shock Top generally, but am disappointed by this offering.

2.06/5  rDev -27.7%

InBev did buy Budweiser, right? And they brew Hoegaarten right? so they know something about wheat beers. Teach Shock Top. I did not get the strong overly sweet raspberry some tasters got, I found the beer rather bland. Hazy straw, golden appearance, light head that disappeared as quick as poured. Fake raspberry flavor, added not brewed. That sweet kind of candy raspberry. Did find the beer left a flat taste in mouth, not going to drink many of this variety. Only fair in my book, and I would not recommend.

2.08/5  rDev -27%

This wheat ale came off smelling like it was going to be a one of a kind beer, but turned out tasting similiar to a raspberry iced tea. I would recommend this for people who dislike the taste of beer.

S- Gives off a very strong raspberry fragrence which overpowers the smell of the hand-selected hops or any other aromas.

T-Best described as a highly carbonated rapberry iced tea.

MF- Watery. This beer is perfect for quenching thirst out in the sun, but lacks any strong characteristics.

Drinkability- I had troubles choking down the first bottle because I didn't prefer the taste. Although, the second and third bottle went down a little smoother.

I prefer dark, robust, heavy beers, but occasionally I have an ale or two. What I expected from this fruity ale was a smooth beer with a rapberry hint, but instead I was given flavored carbonated water.

Not my style

2.08/5  rDev -27%

While in the spirit of the "shandy" war, I also bought a single of this Raspberry Wheat. Though I've had this before, I wanted to put out a fair review. Here goes:

Into a pint glass:

A: very hazy golden colored body with a decent one finger white foamy head that dies within a minute. It leaves no lacing, and no carbonation is seen rising. No rings are left.

S: raspberry but smelling fake, however, I did detect some wheat, but it was really faint.

T: raspberry fakeness and pretty much nothing else.

M: light to medium and a certain dryness is left in the mouth making me wonder where my water bottle is.

O: well, the raspberry just comes out so strong in the taste and the smell that this is really hard to grasp altogether. There's better options out there similar in style that I'll look for over this.

2.09/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. I have tried six other flavors of Shock Top, several have been pretty good, Unfortunately this ain't one of them. The taste is so sweet you can become an instant diabetic. The aftertaste is artificial and is so powerful that I can't even recall how the brew looked. It doesn't matter, avoid unless you like your beer soaked in rock candy.

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat from Anheuser-Busch