Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-16-2011

Raspberry Wheat delivers the same smooth taste of Shock Top, with a hint of raspberry flavor. This traditional Belgian-style wheat ale is brewed with essence of wild raspberry and hand-selected hops. It’s this combination that gives it its crisp and distinctive Shock Top taste, with its own flavorful twist. This unfiltered ale has a light-golden color and a smooth finish, and if you’re curious, it technically doesn’t, not count toward your daily fruit intake.

This is putrid. Absolutely disgusting. Like someone poured spoiled raspberry juice into a Shock Top. Seriously, I love regular Shock Top, but this is horrible.

Will never buy or drink again.

2.32/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Color naranja, con cabeza que desaparece rapidamente sin dejar encaje, carbonatacion media, aroma completamente dominado por la frambuesa.

Sabor dulce, levemente citrico sin amargor pero con cierto grado de acides y dominado por el sabor frutal a frambuesa pero con un gusto artificial.

cuerpo ligero, facil de tomar y deja una sensacion acida en toda la boca.

1.4/5  rDev -50.9%

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a light bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of fake raspberry syrup is quite awful with quite a bit of residual sugars. This is closer to a cooler than beer. Taste is a mix between some grainy wheat malt notes with quite a bit of residual sugar and way too much of the awful raspberry syrup. Body is light with good carbonation. I wasn’t expecting some kind of masterpiece but what a bunch of crap this beer was.

2.44/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Decided to try while watching a game the other night at a local sports bar/restaurant, as they have a different beer on special every night. Wednesday was Shock Top Seasonal, which apparently means this one.

I was expecting some sweetness, both in smell and taste, but this was a little much. Color was slightly cloudy, light amber. If there was any head, it had receded by the time my waitress brought our drinks over. Immediately upon bringing it to your nose you're hit with that burst of raspberry, but it almost smells as if you're about to down a sugary cere was any head, it had receded by the time my waitress brought our drinks over. The taste was as the smell would bring you to expect; very sweet, almost no hop character at all. Mild wheat taste once the sharp sweetness passed.

Worth a try at least, if they're cheap. Definitely worth my $3 for a pint.

2.67/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

473 ml can served cold into a Keith's pint glass. Purchased from LCBO for something around $2.50 CDN. Was actually kind of curious to try this for some unknown reason.

Appearance - hazy golden color, with some pink and orange hues. Decent white head of about 2 fingers which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell - faint artificial raspberry smell and not much else.

Taste - thin raspberry flavour, lots of sugary sweetness and not much else. Taste is thin and slight strange sour metallic mixture at the end.

Mouthfeel - fairly thin and soft feel, lowish carbonation and a bit flat.

Overall - mediocre beer, maybe worth a try if you're curious but there are a lot of better options out there. Pass.

3.08/5  rDev +8.1%

It's a very sweet and syrupy tasting beer not what I expected. Out of the shock top brews I've had; this one is probably my least favorite it wasn't the worst I've had but it most definitely the worst. It's a little to sweet for my liking it's not the last thing that i'd drink but Try it.

2.92/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This poured a thick bubbly but unfortunately quickly fleeting head. The color was a cloudy yet bright golden hue.

The aroma is a nice fruity but some what natural raspberry. Not too sweet but fragrant the raspberry doesn't give off a particularly artificial scent.

Unfortunately the flavor does give off an artificial flavoring as its weak but finishes harsh. The wheat body seems to ride straight through the palate and doesn't support this at all.

The feel is reasonably carbonated until the almost sour raspberry syrup takes hold at the finish. It almost makes me cringe.

I had my fingers crossed as I loved the Apple Crisp but the raspberry is just too fake and almost brash.

2.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: reddish-yellow

S: raspberry fruity smell is overpowering

T: and I thought the smell was overpowering, until I actually tasted it

M: eh.

O: tastes like watered-down raspberry-flavored cider, no real beer flavor at all even though it's labeled wheat. Not offensive to drink but I'm really not a cider fan.

1.41/5  rDev -50.5%

I bought this as part of a variety case of Shock Top wheat beers (a choice I now regret). I did not notice that the beer is made in about seven cities in Canada and the US since it was displayed in the "Craft Beer" section of the liquor store. What a joke.

Poured from the bottle into a stemmed beer glass. An inch of white foam collapsed quickly to a little bit of lacing. Lots of carbonation. Faint raspberry smell. The taste is deeply artificial, sickly sweet, cloying, and unpleasant. The raspberry flavour being used is clearly of a low quality and poorly matched with a wheat beer. The wheat beer aspects are totally opaque because of the intense raspberry, so it doesn't even taste like beer, per se.

In disbelief I shared the beer with a family member, who was similarly disgusted and commented on the cloying, syrupy taste and mouth feel. Frankly, the taste is so unpleasant and the carbonation so blunt that it is hard to tell whether the underlying mouth feel is pleasant or not. It is extremely one-note and borders on both British "alco-pops" and children's cough syrup.

I will be attempting to give the remainder of the case away to friends who "don't really like beer that much" but love Granville Island's raspberry offering (an example of this style done fairly well, although it is barely beer). I will also avoid Shock Top in the future. Disgusting.

1.37/5  rDev -51.9%

Ooof, that's awful. Nothing to recommend this one at all. Artificial in character. Sticky sweet. Doughy mouthfeel. Unnatural tasting finish. Shock Top orange is at least drinkable. This is not. Actively unpleasant. Feh.

Update: It is my understanding that the morons at Anheuser-Busch are considering marketing this dreck here in Canada as craft beer. Lie to us some more. We love it. Jerks.

2.97/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

473 mL can picked up at TBS, served slightly chilled.

Pours a cloudy golden-yellow colour, topped with two fingers of puffy, soapy white head that recedes quickly over the next sixty seconds or so. The aroma is pleasant enough, with notes of raspberry, pale wheat malt and honey.

The flavour is much of the same - quite sweet, with notes of sugar followed by raspberry and red Kool-Aid. Vaguely wheaty malt sweetness, but the flavour is overwhelmingly artificial, with the raspberry and sugary sweetness lingering into the aftertaste for quite awhile. Light-bodied, with moderate carbonation that provides a little less bite than I'd prefer from this type of brew.

Final Grade: 2.97, a C. Shock Top's Raspberry Wheat isn't exactly gross, but it has very few beer-like properties, and for that reason I can't reward it with a decent grade. Ontario residents with a craving for raspberry beer will be better satisfied with Amsterdam's KLB Raspberry, or (even better) the St. Ambroise Framboise, but this is a fairly inoffensive macro substitute that I might consider purchasing again.

2.25/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Had this in an outlet mall bar with my wife, while she was on a shopping break. Light amber color, small head with no real lacing. Head disappeared fast. Smell was fragrant and strong of raspberries - taste was similar, but less fruity. More along my wife's taste than mine, but choices were limited...

3.36/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Sampled last night on 1/17/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a brandy snifter.

Pours a hazy gold in color with a good 1+-finger fizzy white head that faded down fast to just a thin layer. Decent amount of lacing was seen with each sip. Average amount of bubbles streaming from the bottom and sides of the glass, so pretty middle of the line carbonation. The aroma hits you right of front which of course in raspberries with a hint of grains. The taste is of the same with lots of raspberries, with a sweet but tart finish. Overall, not really bad like you might think and is a good summer/autumn brew.

3.96/5  rDev +38.9%

A-hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly; but leaves some lacing
S-strong raspberry smell is all I smell
T- sweet raspberry taste that changes to a tart raspberry aftertaste that turns back sweeter in the finish
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-this was a great mass produced beer that has a great price. I wonder why so many here are anti AB? This is a great beer

3.05/5  rDev +7%

This one is about medium gold and hazy. It shows some effervescence, which aids to build up a large-bubbled white head so that it actually manages a little more than a finger. Retention is pretty poor, though, so it drops quickly. It does, however, leave decent spotting.
Sure, the raspberries have an almost candied or sugared quality, but there is even a little tartness that makes me think it may be natural. It smells that way, at least, and that's what matters. Aside from that, the raspberry is up front and it's the focus, which is also key to a fruit beer. Malts don't throw down an extremely strong foundation, but the wheat does give something to it.
In the flavor, there's something in the back end that the aroma doesn't give off, and there it's got something of an artificial, almost chemical quality to it. It's not strong enough to ruin it, and overall this is one of the better Shock Top varieties I've had.
The attempt at crispness is a little too strong in this beer, coming off too prickly and way too spritzy, though it is at least lively. It takes away from any smoothness the beer might be attempting to convey.

1.48/5  rDev -48.1%

When dispensed, it had a nice head. It poured and remained cloudy so I was expecting a smooth body and mouth feel. When i brought the glass toward my mouth, it had an overwhelming odor of berries. Not pleasant. I sipped it and the flavor was reminiscent of cough syrup. The body was thin and disappointing. I could not finish it.

When I drink a beer with flavorings, I like it to be subtle. The flavors should meld together and act as a whole. This beer is not balanced and does not hit the mark.

3.92/5  rDev +37.5%

I find it Amusing how some reviewers give this Beer such a Low Rating,because they start out by stating that "Fruit Beers" are not really their thing~then proceed to slag this Beer to no end,saying things like "too sweet and way too much Raspberry flavor"..Derp! what do you expect guys? Raspberries are Sweet..very Sweet,and if you brew a beer with them,the beer is most certianly going to have a sweet edge to it,I also find that there are a lot of folks who take gr8 pleasure in bashing ANY "Shock Top" Beer..Maybe because of the whole Anheuser-Busch Thing,and the fact that some people feel AB is trying to pull a fast one by Marketing Shock Top as a Small Micro Brewery and not the Gigantic Huge Company it actually is...but I really do not care about that,because to me,a Good Beer is a Good Beer,no matter if it is brewed in small batches by a few dedicated bunch of hard working individuals,or
cranked out in massive Amounts by Computer controlled mega Breweries,I Have had Fantastic and just plain Crappy brews by both systems;)
It's actually quite simple,if you enjoy Fruit Beers,and do not want to pay 15 bucks a 6er,Shock Top has some very good ones [Honey Crisp Apple wheat being my favorite] I also enjoy this Raspberry wheat a gr8 deal~what I do not understand,is why so many people who do not like Fruit beers feel the need to slag both of these brews,I Understand that these are not your traditional type brews,and some people just do not want fruit in their beer..I Get that! but perhaps if you are one of these folks who want their beer with NO Fruit,and just do not like Fruit Beers period...maybe stick to reviewing the type of beers you enjoy and not bash a brew you know right off the bat you will not like..just a thought guys;)
anyway,Shock Top Raspberry wheat is a very decent Fruit Beer,not quite as good as their Honey Crisp Apple Wheat..but still very,Very Nice Indeed! but I have to admit,the Honey Crisp Apple Wheat is just Amazing! and pretty much my favorite Fruit Beer ever~Cheers&Peace2All.

1.81/5  rDev -36.5%

During the summer I enjoy a fruity wheat bear or two. I purchased a six on a whim and was thoroughly disappointed. Upon opening, the beer had a fruity aroma of raspberry. Poured into a tulip glass the beer had an amber appearance with lots of carbonation. Upon sipping the beer I noticed a very sickly sweet taste that kept on giving and giving. Carbonation was very heavy thus mouthful was fizzy. Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this beer.

3.73/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I've had a few six packs of this beer and like it a lot. It's not fancy but I like the slightly sweet, obviously raspberry flavor. It's almost like a light dessert beer but not so sweet that you can't have it anytime. I'll probably make it a staple everyday beer to have when not going for something unusual.

3.62/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Golden yellow color with a finger and a half of head. Fair amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Fresh raspberry aroma.

Taste- Strong flavor of sweet raspberry with the tiniest hint of wheat malt.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- A good fruit beer. While it is not the best raspberry beer that I have had, I have had worse. Much better than the regular Shock Top.

3.46/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I had this fresh at the brewery in st Louis, so Im sure my experience with this is better than the average joe buying a sixer in some distant land. this pours a pink tinted thicker wheat beer color with an inch of dying white fluff on top. the nose is really heavy raspberry, tart and fresh. really honestly tastes like fresh fruit too. I am surprised at the authenticity of the fruit in this beer, I thought itd be all syrupy and sweet, and it just isn't. the wheat malt is nothing special, but it is fresh too, and the yeast comes across a bit generic, but the raspberry is the intended star here. this is like the lemon shandy and the apple version were at the brewery, very potent and fresh. its hard for me to knock this, because at the source it really is worth drinking. a little sweet, a little thicker than it needs to be, but for a macro, its quite good when its fresh.

3.16/5  rDev +10.9%

One of the better raspberry beers I have had. Not the best but definitely would say try. I agree it is definitely a good beer to give to your lady if she's not into beer too much. The "Beer" aspect of it is not to complex which is why, and rightfully so it's not outstanding. Typical AB... make a cheap beer and put raspberries in it... I have to say this Is a good beer y time pop can bring with you to a party/beach and pound a few down easy. Very easy drinking and for what it's worth I didn't love it but would not be surprised if I was drinking it again. To me the raspberry taste was not aftificial and not overpowering. Was balanced well but again nothing much in the beer part of it.

2.93/5  rDev +2.8%

I didn't see the beer out of the bottle so not sure of the appearance other than the foam was minimal inside the bottle and it appeared a little cloudy like most wheat beers that I have seen.

The smell was very strong rasberry and very sweet, almost sugary...nothing beer-like at all. The taste was equally sweet. There was the 1st impression that I was drinking a fruit cooler from the 80s, like Bartles & Jaymes.

The texture was smooth and not much carbonation at all...again like a fruit cooler. I didn't notice any aftertaste. There really wasn't anything to tell me that this was an alcoholic beverage. Maybe this had to do with alternating with the white and wheat IPA at the same time (part of the sampler 12pk) so I simply didn't notice an aftertaste while drinking the rasberry.

Overall, it was a sweet drink and almost koolaidy without any alcoholic theme. I would drink it again if there was nothing else available but I won't buy it for myself. It seemed like just an inoffensive beverage although I did notice the 5.2% so it must have some effect after a few, yet I would describe it as basically "nothing special".

4.49/5  rDev +57.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 5

For sitting and watching sporting events at home this is a wonderful beer. Great chic beer! Even a few guy friends like it but wouldn't admit it to anyone. Not too sweet and doesn't really taste like beer. Once again your girlfriend might like it.

There a lot of craft beers I have been trying & this site was recommended so here I am. If I had known I would had reviewed much sooner. Look forward to UFC this weekend and more beers to try.

2.98/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Review from the bottle.

Pours hazy golden. One inch head, no lacing.

Aroma is pure raspberry Kool-Aid.

The taste is pure raspberry Kool-Aid. Really, that's it. No real wheat beer characteristics here, it shares more in common with wine coolers or Kool Aid than beer.

Crackly carbonation, very crisp. The real plus to the beer, I suppose. Light bodied.

Not really beer. It's drinkable, but way too artificial and sweet.

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat from Anheuser-Busch