Shock Top Raspberry Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-16-2011

Raspberry Wheat delivers the same smooth taste of Shock Top, with a hint of raspberry flavor. This traditional Belgian-style wheat ale is brewed with essence of wild raspberry and hand-selected hops. It’s this combination that gives it its crisp and distinctive Shock Top taste, with its own flavorful twist. This unfiltered ale has a light-golden color and a smooth finish, and if you’re curious, it technically doesn’t, not count toward your daily fruit intake.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

4.25/5  rDev +52.3%

2.73/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz bottle. My girl bought this at the local grocery chain in Waikiki, and after spending a day in the sun (us, not the beer), it doesn't sound like that much of a lark at this point.

This beer pours a hazy, medium golden straw hue, with one finger of weakly puffy, and thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves very little in the way of lace anywhere near the glass as it quickly fades to nil.

It smells of raspberry cream pie filling, raspberry Kool-Aid powder, a certain plastic chemical astringency, and the faintest of beer-oriented pale graininess (corn, malt, rice, whatever). The taste is semi-sweet, pastry-like sour grain, some weak and wan wheaty wankery (alliteration, FTW!), and a much-abated strained green raspberry, er, fruitiness.

The carbonation is pretty soft, just a plain edginess abounding, the body a so-so medium-light weight, buoyed by that dense fruit perception, I'm sure, and not un-smooth, I suppose. It finishes more grainy than anything up to this point, the fruit a deconstructed notion, but still hanging on in spectral form.

A pseudo-beer, at best, even though it actually tastes just fine, albeit very innocuous, and definitely inoffensive (my surroundings probably influence this opinion, I must admit). A hollow fruit beer, but really, I get it, it goes down well enough, holds an above average booze quotient, and alludes to a popular fruit - I'm sure that it's more than my better half keeping this one a going concern.

4.5/5  rDev +61.3%

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

1.68/5  rDev -39.8%

I am a fan of wheat ales, fresh raspberries, and subtle fruit adjuncts. None of these present here.

Nice appearance, despite little head retention

Smell, taste, and mouthfeel are similar to drinking a cheap raspberry-syrup winecooler. I almost gagged

1.64/5  rDev -41.2%

Big white head quickly falls into a an alright lacing above a hazy washout honey colored wheat beer.

A light soupy to sour grain aroma with a hint of canned raspberries.

A light sweet raspberry taste tops off a light sour grain and even lighter hops taste.

A light dryness comes through another wise bland aftertaste.

I love raspberries and this beer is not good.

1.72/5  rDev -38.4%

Traded one of my beers for his, unfortunately.

Before I review, let it be known I do not mind what Shock Top has produced (Wheat IPA and Belgian White are both beers I do not mind). However, this beer is just not good in my opinion. The taste of the fruit and raspberry is overbearing, it made me feel like I was drinking juice that was too sugary. I would explore other beers that Shock Top has to offer, since this one is far and away the worst of what they have to offer.

2.08/5  rDev -25.4%

While in the spirit of the "shandy" war, I also bought a single of this Raspberry Wheat. Though I've had this before, I wanted to put out a fair review. Here goes:

Into a pint glass:

A: very hazy golden colored body with a decent one finger white foamy head that dies within a minute. It leaves no lacing, and no carbonation is seen rising. No rings are left.

S: raspberry but smelling fake, however, I did detect some wheat, but it was really faint.

T: raspberry fakeness and pretty much nothing else.

M: light to medium and a certain dryness is left in the mouth making me wonder where my water bottle is.

O: well, the raspberry just comes out so strong in the taste and the smell that this is really hard to grasp altogether. There's better options out there similar in style that I'll look for over this.

4.5/5  rDev +61.3%