Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,083 | Reviews: 217
3.2/5  rDev +4.9%

It's one of those beers you buy thinking it's a craft brew, then find out it's made by Anheuser-Busch. You don't have to read that though, you can tell it's not a craft brew the moment it hits your lips. All-in-all, it's a decent beer. It's like drinking Miller High Life with a bit of pumpkin flavor mixed in and a general feel of over-carbonation.

Sum it up in a few words: I purchased it because I was in the mood for a pumpkin beer and the liquor store had no other options. Not unhappy, but not amazed.

1.34/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Easily one of the worst Pumpkin Ales out there.

3.62/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

light beer with a nice light spiced pumpkin flavor -too much carbonation

3.78/5  rDev +23.9%

Surprisingly good. Mild pumpkin and spice. Balance is much better than I was expecting and there is nothing off putting about the beer.

1.56/5  rDev -48.9%

Awful taste. More like rotten pumpkin wheat.

3.44/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm not really big on pumpkin beers.
I got this on an end of season discount clearance.
Wasn't expecting much coz after all, this is Shock Top.
Have to say it's much better than I expected it to be.
Some decent flavors. Whether they're real beer flavors or added flavorings - I'm not sure.
But it goes down pretty nicely.
Cheers

3.64/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A little too much cinnamon taste for me, but still enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- The spice, pumpkin and malt are a great combo on the nose
Appearance - This beer has a really nice dark orange color with a small white head.
Taste – I consider this to be one of the top pumpkin beers (especially for the price)
Palate -This is a medium bodied beer with light carbonation.
Overall - For me, this is a great pumpkin beer for the price. I recommend it.

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured a clear orange body with abundant carbonation bubbles and no head. It looks like a poor, watery pumpkin ale. Scents of pumpkin, apple juice, sweet spices with an emphasis on nutmeg and cinnamon. Overall impression of aroma is of a very sweet, pumpkin forward aroma, too sweet with no real balance. Flavor begins sweet with notes of pumpkin, sweet spices with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg and medium-light apple cider. Middle is sweet with the same flavors continuing. Finish is sweet with notes of pumpkin and sweet spices, the same flavors continue. Aftertaste is sweet spices, nutmeg and cinnamon and some pumpkin. Overall impression of flavor is of a very sweet pumpkin ale without much balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation and a watery feel. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of an okay ale,easy to drink but note a witbier. Overall this is an okay ale. It is too sweet in aroma and flavor, the mouthfeel is easy to drink but not amazing. Nothing special and one of the weaker pumpkin beers.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a slightly hazy orange body, with thick beige head. The head reduces to a thin film in no time at all! Relatively little aroma, a veggie squash scent. Taste is rather bland, bready, plain pumpkin, no spices. Meh!

1.75/5  rDev -42.6%

Sitting with someone who is drinking one, so figured I would do a quick review. Can't say I liked it much. The nose is weak, that of honey and pumpkin. It's almost sweet on an almost overpowering level, and funny enough, the pumpkin is now surprisingly absent. It just tastes like a sweet, honey flavored mess. The feel is that of a highly carbonated wheat ale.

Just no.

Meh. Simple holiday brew. Very fake sweet taste, but, with the Turkey and the knit-sweater, it'll do, donkey.

1.02/5  rDev -66.6%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. It's disgusting. It's flat, morbid, has no distinct flavor. There's a hint of clove, which just makes it taste even more heinous. I took it to a couple of different friends places and I thought they were going to kill me.

If you watch "The Walking Dead", there was a scene where was this fat, bald zombie is stuck in a well. They tried to pull him out but he ripped in half and all his zombie guts wound up back in the well.

Well, I imagine the water in that well is basically what is used to make this beer. I have had good pumpkin beer before, but not this. You do not even taste the pumpkin. It's almost like someone dropped a cigarette butt in your bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +23%

Good pumpkin beer for the price! I have noticed that many pumpkin beers were not around for long and are expensive this one you can get and it is cheaper! I hope it is around so I can have it at Thanksgiving! Better then the Coors blue moon. Lighter and more drinkable! I will often drink a more expensive pumpkin beer and then switch to this if it is a bon fire night!

Not the best pumpkin beer but not the worst I have had. The pumpkin spice flavor is mild and you clearly taste the wheat. I just don't know if I like pumpkin and wheat combined.

4.5/5  rDev +47.5%

Love this beer for the flavor and the price - not outrageous as many microbreweries on a seasonal beer.

I could drink this year around, as the pumpkin flavors are not overwhelming.

Appearance - Pours a rich orange/amber color, more to the light brown tint. In using a pint mug it had a nice head, about a finger high, and a nice amount of lacing. The lacing stays on the glass til the end.

Aroma - You can smell the spices upon opening the beer, low hop nose, lots of malty aroma with a bit of spice. Seriously, tastes as it smells, the aroma won't disappoint you.

Taste – Um, awesome. The taste follows the aroma - not as pumpkin in flavor as in smell – but that is more the spices you smell.

Mouthfeel - It is a medium body feel and seems lightly carbonated, seems like a good mix for the type of beer. Definitely not over carbonated as many American mass produced brews are these days.

Overall - This is a very nice beer for those loving a mild experience with reminiscence of pumpkin pie as a dessert. Definitely an enjoyable experience.

Serving type: Bottle poured into a glass – but straight out of the bottle is just fine.

one of the worst pumpkin beers

3.79/5  rDev +24.3%

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat
16 oz. can, coded "14251 8E62"

Call me as fool, but I like the Pumpkin version of Shock Top better than the original! As it's "pumpkin" I doubt I'd drink it all year round, but then again, I might. I think the aroma is great, and that the spicing balances the malt and rounds it out nicely. Additionally, unlike many pumpkin beers that utilize too much cinnamon, that's not the case here and I can actually taste the nutmeg clearly. At the very least, in the realm of pumpkin beers, it's definitely more towards the top of the heap than the bottom.

4.5/5  rDev +47.5%

1-100 I give it a 91, Really liked the flavor, not too strong and light.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Very hazy orange-brown with a quick to fade off-white head.

Smell: Yeasty, pumpkin pie spices.

Taste: Pretty good. Like a spicy pumpkin pie, but not too overpowering. Plenty of yeast and wheat throughout.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick and well carbonated.

Overall: Pretty good pumpkin beer, not that it’s my favorite style. Shock Top’s toned-down style works pretty well here, as I don’t want too much pumpkin in my beer.

2.63/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The smell of the brew is a light smell as well as the taste for pumpkin beer. I felt there could be a stronger flavor and spice, but maybe that is why I am still okay with it. Also the can I have says the ABV is 5.1% not that it is much difference just found that interesting.

3.9/5  rDev +27.9%

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat brewed by Anheuser-Busch with an ABV of 5.2% This brew pours out of a brown bottle a light brown amber with a small white head. The smell is sweet with pumpkin and some grains. You also pick up on some spices in this brew. The taste is rich with flavor. You pick up on pumpkin and spices and some grains at the end. Not as much flavor as I would like to see in a pumpkin brew. There is a lot going on in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Pumpkin wheat has a nice balance to it. Overall I'm giving this brew 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Cloudy gold with two fingers of white head. Spots of lace.
Smell is spicy dominated by cinnamon and nutmeg.
Taste is similar to the nose with a bit too sweet overall but quite drinkable.
Mouthfeel is light to medium and ample carbonation.
Finishes lightly sweet citrus and spices.
An alright pumpkin beer. Not quite as good a major competitor though.

A little bit a sweet taste in the first swallow. But overall I would drink it again.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

A very average pumpkin beer. It's enjoyable and cheap and readily available.. but it's way down the list of pumpkin beers I'd go for.

to view more.