Join our email list →

Missouri, United States | website

Pumpkin Ale | 5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.
Reviews: 225 | Hads: 1,182
Reviews by undeadozzy:
3.17/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A - Poured aggressively into a shock top weizen glass. Huge foamy white head that leaves crazy lacing on the glass, especially for a wheat beer! Dark rich orange with the typical wheat beer opacity to it.

S - Some shredded wheat simplicty up front, maybe a little lemon, picking up on a pleasant pumpkin musk, with a little bit of allspice. Very refreshing scent.

T - Huge citrus notes up front, big showing from orange and lemon. Some muted wheat heaviness, a little saltine and corn flake crisp and on the way out, there's the pumpkin and some cinnamon sweetness. It's not a lot,just kind of an afterthought. Refreshing, yes. Pumpkiny, not really, but you can taste it, you just need to dig for it.

M - Very light and watery, still lots of character. Surprising light for a wheat beer.

O - Not a big fan of wheat beer, figured I'd pick it up since I do love pumpkin beers. Very nice late summer/early fall beer, a little heaviness to it, not too much pumpkin, muted fall flavors. If this had been marketed as a fall seasonal and not a pumpkin beer specifically, I never would have marked it as one, a very pleasant beer, but definitely not the kind of pumpkin beer I'm used to.

4.14/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Unfiltered, very cloudy, dark amber with a small white head. Aroma is subdued but pleasant. Better than last year. There is not a lot of pumpkin or spices here, but there is a nice yeasty, malty flavor, similar to a good German dunkelweizen. Very sessionable like many of the Shock Top varieties. Personally, I find the low level of spices a good thing. Considering the value price, this is an excellent pumpkin, on a par with UFO.

I found this pumpkin-wheat so enjoyable and easy drinking I picked up a couple cases to help me through the winter. At first everyone in my family condemned it as another AB beer, but I noticed it was disappearing faster than all the other brews in my beer fridge. Seems it is one of those beers that people like to hate but like to drink.

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

Very blah, not something I would seek out with better alternatives nearby. A less than average seasonal that I didn't enjoy as much as I hoped I would.

1.65/5  rDev -47.8%

THE LABEL IS A MARKETING TACTIC! LOOKS COOL, MAKES ME FEEL AS IF I AM COOLER (THAN AN ORDINARY DAY OF COOLNESS) WHEN I HAVE ONE IN MY HAND. I ASKED MY WIFE TO GET ME A 12 PACK OF SHIPYARD PUMPKINHEAD...LIQUOR STORE WAS OUT OF STOCK SO SHE SUBSTITUTED SHOCK TOP. I YELLED, "NO SUBSTITUTIONS!" HERES MY OPINION: AROMA---POPPED THE TOP AND WATCHED THE DRAGON TAIL-LIKE FOG HOVERING IN-BETWEEN THE AIR AND LIQUID, SPIRALING INTO NON-EXISTENCE. THE LABEL READS "PUMPKINS AND A VARIETY AUTUMNAL SPICES" WHICH RAISED MY EXPECTATIONS; MY EXPECTATIONS WERE UNMET. TYPE IN "AROMA" IN GOOGLE AND SHOCK TOP WILL NOT BE NUMBER 1. NOR WILL IT BE 2, 3 OR 4...YOU SEE WHERE I AM GOING WITH THIS. THIS BEER LACKS A DISTINCT AROMA. CINNAMON, PUMPKIN (SOMETHING REDNECKS DO DURING HALLOWEEN) AND NUTMEG HAVE A STRONG AROMA. I COOK QUITE A BIT AND HAVE USED ALL THREE. I FEEL AS IF THE FOLKS AT AH-BUSH DID NOT USE ANY OF THE THREE. AND YES, I DID FOLLOW THE POURING INSTRUCTIONS ON THE NECK. APPEARANCE--- LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BUD PRODUCT. LETS INNOVATE FOLKS. TASTE---MEDIUM BITTER AFTER TASTE, LIGHT TO START. NO SHOCK-TOP. BING "TASTE" AND YOU MAY GET SHOCK TOP AS A RESULT BECAUSE BING SUCKS. PALATE---LIGHT BODY, THIN POLAND SPRINGS LIKE TEXTURE, DIET COKE FIZZ, SLIGHT BITTER FINISH LEAVING YOU TO CRAVE FOR SOMETHING ELSE. CLOSE TO FINISHING THE BOTTLE, I SWALLOW AND MAKE A FACE (TO MYSELF) ; A CONTORTED, JUST SMELLED A DEAD BODY KINDA FACE. AND FOLKS, DONT LET THIS BEER GET WARM...NASTY. THE LAST SWIG IS RESERVED FOR THE RECYCLING RATS AT THE REDEMPTION CENTER

3.44/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm not really big on pumpkin beers.
I got this on an end of season discount clearance.
Wasn't expecting much coz after all, this is Shock Top.
Have to say it's much better than I expected it to be.
Some decent flavors. Whether they're real beer flavors or added flavorings - I'm not sure.
But it goes down pretty nicely.
Cheers

1.65/5  rDev -47.8%

Look: Kind of a dull orange. Like some tree leaves on a cloudy dayat the end of Autumn just before a strong winterish wind blows them to the ground.
Smell: Similar to a frozen pumpkin pie before it is baked. Not necessarily appetizing.
Taste: Horrid is probably the most accurate single word to describe it. I should maybe qualify this by saying I purchased this do to a coupon offer and generally do not care for "flavored" beers. But I have been known to enjoy an occasional night of various Leinenkugel's. And there are several wheat beers I can enjoy. However, this Shock Top was at once too bland, too sweet and just too off from what I consider to be palatable.
Feel: Felt like I was drinking carbonated melted root beer barrel hard candies.
Overall: I'd rather drink Jack Daniels from a Jack-O-Lantern.
This is the only beer I have ever drain poured an entire six pack, minus the 8 oz's or so I was able to down from the first bottle. Would not ever consider drinking this again. Would not ever give this to a friend. Would not ever give this to someone I did not want to be my friend. Would not ever give this to a desperate beer-a-holic.

1.02/5  rDev -67.7%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. It's disgusting. It's flat, morbid, has no distinct flavor. There's a hint of clove, which just makes it taste even more heinous. I took it to a couple of different friends places and I thought they were going to kill me.

If you watch "The Walking Dead", there was a scene where was this fat, bald zombie is stuck in a well. They tried to pull him out but he ripped in half and all his zombie guts wound up back in the well.

Well, I imagine the water in that well is basically what is used to make this beer. I have had good pumpkin beer before, but not this. You do not even taste the pumpkin. It's almost like someone dropped a cigarette butt in your bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +37%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

You taste the pumpkin right away. Just as the name says, it tastes like pumpkin and wheat. Pours amber-copper with a medium, disappearing head. Mild IBU and carbonation. A very enjoyable and fun beer.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

1.5/5  rDev -52.5%

4.55/5  rDev +44%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%

2.25/5  rDev -28.8%

3.01/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.92/5  rDev +24.1%

3.17/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Hazed amber

SMELL: Dusty spice, pancake batter, pumpkin.

TASTE: Wet, lighter body, light malt, bready, spice, faint pumpkin, clean alcohol, grainy.

Sort of like a one colored jigsaw puzzle, all the pieces are there and fit but there isn't much to it. The spice, pumpkin and beeriness just don't wow nor landing equally drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: 1 inch head, orange-brown in color, cloudy, medium carbonation

Smell: pumpkin spice

Taste: nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, caramel, a touch of wheat or grain, and pumpkin spice

Mouthfeel: sweet, high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: Better than I expected. A sessionable, wheaty, and solid pumpkin beer. I could have a six on a fall day. Nothing outstanding, and there are better pumpkin beers out there, but nothing to pass up either.

2.75/5  rDev -13%