Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Pumpkin WheatShock Top Pumpkin Wheat

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 214 | Hads: 1,129

The hands-down best Pumpkin Wheat this season! Finishes smooth and leaves a warm pumpkin pie taste in your mouth. Be sure when pouring to leave about an inch at the bottom and stir the bottle to bring out the unfiltered wheat. Wonderful! I bought a case and am rationing it out keeping it all season long. Best with turkey or large banquet style Holiday meals! Enjoy!

4.52/5  rDev +42.6%

I don't care who makes this beer. If it is a good beer I am going drink it.

Color: it is a golden amber look to it.

Smell: you can smell the pumpkin and nutnegg.

Taste and mouthfeel: I love how you can taste everthing. It is very drinkable. Nice and smooth and well balance. I don't know if this is a wheat pumpkin. I can't really taste the wheat.

This ia a beer to get into crafts and pumpkin ales. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +42%

Love this beer for the flavor and the price - not outrageous as many microbreweries on a seasonal beer.

I could drink this year around, as the pumpkin flavors are not overwhelming.

Appearance - Pours a rich orange/amber color, more to the light brown tint. In using a pint mug it had a nice head, about a finger high, and a nice amount of lacing. The lacing stays on the glass til the end.

Aroma - You can smell the spices upon opening the beer, low hop nose, lots of malty aroma with a bit of spice. Seriously, tastes as it smells, the aroma won't disappoint you.

Taste – Um, awesome. The taste follows the aroma - not as pumpkin in flavor as in smell – but that is more the spices you smell.

Mouthfeel - It is a medium body feel and seems lightly carbonated, seems like a good mix for the type of beer. Definitely not over carbonated as many American mass produced brews are these days.

Overall - This is a very nice beer for those loving a mild experience with reminiscence of pumpkin pie as a dessert. Definitely an enjoyable experience.

Serving type: Bottle poured into a glass – but straight out of the bottle is just fine.

4.35/5  rDev +37.2%

I love wheat beer, all kinds of it but this pumpkin spice is a very good product. Although Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale was better this has not been a complete disappointment. I have tried several pumpkin beers & ales & there are some very good ones out there.

4.33/5  rDev +36.6%

This is one of the more enjoyable pumpkin beers I have had the chance to try. It does not immediately overwhelm the senses with the powerful aroma or taste of what it is going for, yet still retains the feeling as if October is getting closer with every sip.

4.33/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

You taste the pumpkin right away. Just as the name says, it tastes like pumpkin and wheat. Pours amber-copper with a medium, disappearing head. Mild IBU and carbonation. A very enjoyable and fun beer.

4.2/5  rDev +32.5%

Overall, a very solid beer! AB has done a good job of getting creative with the Shock Top series so far. Bought a 12 pack that had just hit the shelves, and wanted to comment right off the bat.

Off the pour, the head has a pretty good retention, it sticks around and enjoys itself. Just a light haze, with a mainly amber color

The smell has the light scent of pumpkin, cloves and I want to dig and say nutmeg with a splash of cinnamon.

Taste - Hope you enjoy drinking! A very drinkable beer, it would take a lot for me to pull away from this right now. Goes down extremely smooth.

Mouthfeel - You can definitely taste the remnants of the beer in the back. The closed mouth breath up holds the same character.

Overall, a very solid beer for the price. Not just that, it's something that could probably go for more, as it is above some of the more "complex" beers out there. Something that will be enjoyed over and over again during the fall months. Cheers.

4.17/5  rDev +31.5%

I think that on my quest to find the best pumpkin brew last year I by-passed this one because it's an AB product. That was a mistake. This is clearly a great pumpkin brew in a lot of respects: color, aroma (wonderful), taste (nice, inoffensive), drinkability (you could have a whole six pack).

There aren't too many great pumpkins out there, but Charlie Brown would agree, that this is one. It may have a bit more spice than pumpkin, but it works. I will buy this a again this fall.

4.12/5  rDev +30%

Boy do I ever get so excited as when the pumpkin beers/ales
come out.
I've tasked a few so far, tonight its Shocktop's Pumpkin Wheat.
It was such a nice pour. Amber in color with a nice full head.
Then it all begins.
Once my nose was inside the glass, all the pumpkin and fall spices cam through. I didnt detect any hop , but the pumpkin and spices (nutmeg, clove, cinnamon) it was clear that this was going to be a nice brew.
The initial taste! Soft, round and full. I could taste the pumpkin, which I love to do with this beers.

This beer was very round and soft. A nice blend between the pumpkin spices and other fall spices.

I really enjoyed this one, however I am still waitng for the new pumpkin beer that stands above the others. It was as if you were biting down on a fresh warm pumpkin beer and very pleasant spices

4.11/5  rDev +29.7%

While I'm not a big fan of the Shock Top brand of beers from Anheuser-Busch, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by this offering. I was at the store today, and just saw this for the first time (along with 3 or 4 other Pumpkin Beer offerings already- last year I only saw 5 or 6 total, so that's a great sign). Part of me thought it may just be Jack's Pumpkin Spice, but rebranded, but I can say that this is a wheat beer with Pumpkin spices added. It's very good, and I think it would be incredible on tap.

While it's not the best pumpkin beer I've ever had, it's far from the worse. I'm such a big fan of the style, that I will definitely buy more of this in the next couple months.

4.1/5  rDev +29.3%

Pours from a 12oz glass into a pint glass a very clear, for a wheat beer, amber with deep hues of orange and cinnamon. Topped with a substantial white head that is quite frothy and rocky and dense. Looks nice. Head is about two fingers thick.

Aroma is wheaty. Wheat malt with what seems like some corriander. Pumpkin aromas are somewhat subdued but there is definitely some clove and allspice aromas. Smells like a pumpkin wheat should smell like. Not really pumpkin pie but a nice mix of wheat and pumpkin.

Very nice flavor also. Perhaps a little thin on the body, but wheat beers can run the gamete when we Are discussing mouthfeel characteristics. Pumpkin flavors are certainly noticeable and are actually working well with the style of beer. Clove and cinnamon are the main contributing factors in the taste.

Solid beer overall. I am not sure there can be better balance of pumpkin and wheat in a beer. Easy drinker. This will be a nice beer for those hot autumn afternoons here in Florida.

I sampled this beer along with two other similar choices (Sierra Nevada Tumbler and Dundee Oktoberfest) and I was pleasantly surprised. It was pumpkin in color and and hit a slight sweetness to it. It beat my average expectations. I didn't expect much and I got more.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark orange with a quickly dissipating half finger head. No lacing is left on the glass. Color is nice, though.

Smell: Actually smells really great! A strong odor of pumpkin and pumpkin spice, such as nutmeg and cinnamon. Sweet malts and a light citrus hint are also noted.

Taste: It's quite delicious. This reminds me of pumpkin pie in beer form; a strong, nice pumpkin flavor, with noticeable pumpkin spice characteristics throughout. Light hops and malts dominate the background, with the wheat barely apparent. Surprisingly good.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and moderate carbonation, refreshing and drinkable.

Overall: Good job, A-B, you've surprised me with this offering. A delicious pumpkin ale that I would certainly buy again.

3.96/5  rDev +24.9%

Pours a nice fluffy head that lingers for a little bit. Also has a pretty brown color. It is very drinkable, almost too drinkable considering what I was looking for and expecting. There is not nearly enough pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon flavor/smell. If AB doubled the amount of flavoring, this would be one heck of a drink. Regardless, it is not a bad buy.

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

Served from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. The closest thing I could find to a date was "112 43 BF02", which means nothing to me.

A: Amber brown/orange color, cloudy (when poured as instructed), 3 fingers of off-white head sprouts up with huge bubbles and quickly disappears with zero lacing.

S: Smells sweet, with pumpkin and spice, notes of cinnamon and nutmeg.

T: Tastes just like it smells. It's certainly interesting, especially for an allegedly A-B product. Clear pumpkin and pumpkin spice - cinnamon and nutmeg, finishes on the dry side with a very pumpkin aftertaste with hints of spice, but not a lot else to it. The label shows an orange lice with a mohawk, but I'm not picking up on too much orange here (if any?).

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, slightly chewy, sticks a little, slightly watery, goes down smooth as silk.

O: I'm going to go ahead and give this an overall 4/5. It's not a bad beer, it's a pretty good seasonal beer actually. If it's made by A-B then I'm actually pretty impressed considering, although it claims to be brewed by Shock Top Brewing Co. I visited their website and was unable to find any evidence that this was indeed an A-B company, so I think A-B might just be their distributor, though I could be wrong.

I thought this beer was overall pleasantly aromatic and tasty - it's a pumpkin-themed beer, and it tastes like pumpkin for sure. It definitely lives up to the theme.

3.9/5  rDev +23%

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat brewed by Anheuser-Busch with an ABV of 5.2% This brew pours out of a brown bottle a light brown amber with a small white head. The smell is sweet with pumpkin and some grains. You also pick up on some spices in this brew. The taste is rich with flavor. You pick up on pumpkin and spices and some grains at the end. Not as much flavor as I would like to see in a pumpkin brew. There is a lot going on in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Pumpkin wheat has a nice balance to it. Overall I'm giving this brew 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.88/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a clean pub glass, "swirling" the last half inch or so as directed by the bottle and observed the following:

A. This beer is a hazy golden bronze color with about 1.5 fingers of foamy head.

S. This beer gives off loads of aroma I can smell it from 1 foot away. I can smell raisins, cloves, and nutmeg with a faint smell of chocolate chip cookies.

T. The taste leads with a syrupy (think slurpy) and caramel body followed up with the pumpkin pie spices. Nice clean flavor profile for a pumpkin ale and decent aftertaste.

M. The mouth on this one leads me to believe that it has an average gravity with a very crisp ending. Actually very nice and would go very well with dinner.

I would definitely pick this up again although I don't think I would session this one.

3.85/5  rDev +21.5%

The beer poured a very nice dark amber color. The odor of pumpkin and spice was distinct which contrasted with its taste. Although it had an almost sweet pumpkin taste, I could also detect the cloves used in the brew. The mouthfeel was best I've had in a while, not over or under carbonated. The head was a lighter shade of the beer color and it didn't last long - that surprised me.

Overall, I was pleased, I've been trying a lot of new beers lately and haven't been too impressed, but was happy with this submit by Shock Top - they haven't done much to disappoint me.

3.85/5  rDev +21.5%

12oz bottle purchased as part of a six-pack at Shaw's in North Hampton. Pours a murky dark amber body with about an inch of short-lived off-white head. Smells like pumpkin pie spice with hints of some nutty phenols. Tastes sweet and spicy, with pumpkin pie spice playing a big roll but not over-doing it. Malt, nut, and bread also help comprise the flavor. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. An easy drinker. A lot better than expected. Balanced, not a spice bomb, and while it's not the the most complex beer out there, it keeps things interesting. I'm wondering if this is supplanting Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale - this one is definitely a better version in my opinion.

3.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Orange, caramel color. Descent head with good retention and creamy appearance.

Smell is mostly spicy with nutmeg and cinammon.

Caramel malt flavor is sweet. Spices come in the middle as described in the smell. Hint of pumpkin and roasted almonds. Yeasty flavor. Weak hops, faint earthy tone. Descent balance on the spice heavy end of things.

Light to medium consistency with a slick feel. Medium carbonation.

I wasn't expecting much here but this beer is actually not that bad. Descent flavor and depth. Above average among pumpkin beers. Not a favorite style of mine so I won't be going back to it regularly but descent for what it is.

3.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a vary hazy orange color amber color with a big billowy orange tinted head. The head fades pretty fast to leave a light foam and a very light level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is heavy of wheat with nice notes of pumpkin and some orange citrus. These are mixed with a cinnamon and nutmeg aroma that give it overall a very pleasant aroma.

Taste – The taste begins of wheat and pumpkin with some lighter sweetness. Soon spice flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg come into the taste. These meld well with the pumpkin flavors well and with an increase in a brown sugar taste make it more pumpkin pie like. This sweeter flavor persists to the end where a citrus flavor mixes with the others to leave a pleasing taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer average with a medium level of carbonation, giving the beer good drinkability.

Overall – A tasty pumpkin beer with a easy drinking sweetness and spiced pumpkin flavor. While not the top pumpkin brew out there it is one of the best for its price and one to go to on occasion.

3.82/5  rDev +20.5%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I can’t handle to much pumpkin but I do enjoy a little pumpkin in beer during the festive fall. aroma- has a nutty pumpkin smell to it. appearance- looks nice with a decent head taste- Pumpkin with wheat just as you would guess. palate- good co2 on it with the ability to drink a couple...not a few though.... Overall I would reach for another one down the road...

3.81/5  rDev +20.2%

My first new pumpkin beer of the year. I love October (because of pumpkin flavored beers). This is definitely not the best pumpkin beer I've tried, but it's still a very good beer. If you like Shock Top's wheat, you want to try this.

The appearance was really great. A beautiful color, but the head was a thin lace that barely stuck around.

I can't promise I'll buy another 6 pack, mostly due to price and wanting to try new things.

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It has an orange, pumpkin flavored appearance. It pours a large head but has no lacing and little head retention.

It smells like pumpkin and spice, but not quite as Chai as many do.

It starts out as one of the best pumpkin beers that I've ever had. The finish is a bit cheap and bitter. It is very drinkable, though.

The mouthfeel is very basic with a slight fizzle. It has a nice thickness, though.

Aside from the aftertaste, it is one of the better pumpkin beers out there. There's a glimmer of WOW but it quickly fades. If they could continue that flash of brilliance throughout the whole beer's taste, it would be a contender for the best pumpkin ale.

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured bottle into glass. 5.1% abv

Appearance- Dark orange and cloudy. Two finger head that dissipates quickly.

Smell- Aroma of wheat, with pumpkin mash and spices. Smells like cinamon or perhaps nutmeg.

Taste- Light malt flavor up front and wheaty. Pumpkin taste is there but slightly. The beer finishes on a pumpkin pie spice note which is stronger. Bitterness is on the back end as well, although not strong.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body with decent carbonation.

Overall- Slightly better than I expected. Could use more pumpkin flavor but this is no micro brew. Not bad. I would drink this again, or even on draft at a bar if this was an offer. The spice taste was not overpowering either. If the pumpkin was stronger it would score better.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat from Anheuser-Busch