Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 209 | Hads: 1,104
3.58/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Amber hazy orange with an off white head. Smell was pleasantly spicy with pumpkin notes, cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste followed: heavy nutmeg and cinnamon but a decent malt balance and soft wheat feel. I think this is an underrated beer for the price/brand. (277 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +1.9%

I saw this in a pint sized can at my local corner store today and had to give it a try as I had never seen it before (or if I HAD, I didn't care to try it). This was the last one stocked and had a dent on the bottom and top of the can. Judging by the date on the bottom, this beer was made on 2/25/14.
Appearance: Poured this into my frozen pint mug as pictured in my profile picture. Has an attractive reddish pumpkin color. Very foamy at first pour but quickly subsides and left no lacing whatsoever by the time I finished. Decent carbonation.
Smell: Nothin' jumps out at you, but you can definitely smell the pumpkin and maybe if you have better senses than I do, some of the spices they used.. all on top of a regular Belgian White Shock Top beer.
Taste: I am kind of partial to pumpkin anything, but I think if you already like pumpkin but you hate cheap macro beers, the pumpkin saves this brew at the very least. Again, tastes just like the smell except the pumpkin and spices are a bit more defined.
Feel: Pretty carbonated but I personally like carbonation and have never found something to be "overcarbonated" as many people are saying in their reviews of this one.
Overall: I found this to be very drinkable. I wanted another one and was kind of sad that I wasn't able to buy two (this was the last one that was stocked). It's nothing amazing but for the price, this beer is worth it's weight in salt. I could drink this again. Can't say the same for any other brews from Shock Top. I've had them before and I find them too boring/girly to drink again. (1,563 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A very mild pumpkin ale, but not necessarily bad. Smells decent and tastes decent, but I'd much rather spend a couple extra bucks on the Schlafly pumpkin ale. (159 characters)

3.2/5  rDev 0%

It's one of those beers you buy thinking it's a craft brew, then find out it's made by Anheuser-Busch. You don't have to read that though, you can tell it's not a craft brew the moment it hits your lips. All-in-all, it's a decent beer. It's like drinking Miller High Life with a bit of pumpkin flavor mixed in and a general feel of over-carbonation.

Sum it up in a few words: I purchased it because I was in the mood for a pumpkin beer and the liquor store had no other options. Not unhappy, but not amazed. (515 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm not really big on pumpkin beers.
I got this on an end of season discount clearance.
Wasn't expecting much coz after all, this is Shock Top.
Have to say it's much better than I expected it to be.
Some decent flavors. Whether they're real beer flavors or added flavorings - I'm not sure.
But it goes down pretty nicely.
Cheers (329 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- The spice, pumpkin and malt are a great combo on the nose
Appearance - This beer has a really nice dark orange color with a small white head.
Taste – I consider this to be one of the top pumpkin beers (especially for the price)
Palate -This is a medium bodied beer with light carbonation.
Overall - For me, this is a great pumpkin beer for the price. I recommend it. (423 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured a clear orange body with abundant carbonation bubbles and no head. It looks like a poor, watery pumpkin ale. Scents of pumpkin, apple juice, sweet spices with an emphasis on nutmeg and cinnamon. Overall impression of aroma is of a very sweet, pumpkin forward aroma, too sweet with no real balance. Flavor begins sweet with notes of pumpkin, sweet spices with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg and medium-light apple cider. Middle is sweet with the same flavors continuing. Finish is sweet with notes of pumpkin and sweet spices, the same flavors continue. Aftertaste is sweet spices, nutmeg and cinnamon and some pumpkin. Overall impression of flavor is of a very sweet pumpkin ale without much balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation and a watery feel. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of an okay ale,easy to drink but note a witbier. Overall this is an okay ale. It is too sweet in aroma and flavor, the mouthfeel is easy to drink but not amazing. Nothing special and one of the weaker pumpkin beers. (1,023 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a slightly hazy orange body, with thick beige head. The head reduces to a thin film in no time at all! Relatively little aroma, a veggie squash scent. Taste is rather bland, bready, plain pumpkin, no spices. Meh! (218 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -45.3%

Sitting with someone who is drinking one, so figured I would do a quick review. Can't say I liked it much. The nose is weak, that of honey and pumpkin. It's almost sweet on an almost overpowering level, and funny enough, the pumpkin is now surprisingly absent. It just tastes like a sweet, honey flavored mess. The feel is that of a highly carbonated wheat ale.

Just no. (371 characters)

1.02/5  rDev -68.1%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. It's disgusting. It's flat, morbid, has no distinct flavor. There's a hint of clove, which just makes it taste even more heinous. I took it to a couple of different friends places and I thought they were going to kill me.

If you watch "The Walking Dead", there was a scene where was this fat, bald zombie is stuck in a well. They tried to pull him out but he ripped in half and all his zombie guts wound up back in the well.

Well, I imagine the water in that well is basically what is used to make this beer. I have had good pumpkin beer before, but not this. You do not even taste the pumpkin. It's almost like someone dropped a cigarette butt in your bottle. (706 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%

Good pumpkin beer for the price! I have noticed that many pumpkin beers were not around for long and are expensive this one you can get and it is cheaper! I hope it is around so I can have it at Thanksgiving! Better then the Coors blue moon. Lighter and more drinkable! I will often drink a more expensive pumpkin beer and then switch to this if it is a bon fire night! (369 characters)

Not the best pumpkin beer but not the worst I have had. The pumpkin spice flavor is mild and you clearly taste the wheat. I just don't know if I like pumpkin and wheat combined. (179 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

Love this beer for the flavor and the price - not outrageous as many microbreweries on a seasonal beer.

I could drink this year around, as the pumpkin flavors are not overwhelming.

Appearance - Pours a rich orange/amber color, more to the light brown tint. In using a pint mug it had a nice head, about a finger high, and a nice amount of lacing. The lacing stays on the glass til the end.

Aroma - You can smell the spices upon opening the beer, low hop nose, lots of malty aroma with a bit of spice. Seriously, tastes as it smells, the aroma won't disappoint you.

Taste – Um, awesome. The taste follows the aroma - not as pumpkin in flavor as in smell – but that is more the spices you smell.

Mouthfeel - It is a medium body feel and seems lightly carbonated, seems like a good mix for the type of beer. Definitely not over carbonated as many American mass produced brews are these days.

Overall - This is a very nice beer for those loving a mild experience with reminiscence of pumpkin pie as a dessert. Definitely an enjoyable experience.

Serving type: Bottle poured into a glass – but straight out of the bottle is just fine. (1,152 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +18.4%

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat
16 oz. can, coded "14251 8E62"

Call me as fool, but I like the Pumpkin version of Shock Top better than the original! As it's "pumpkin" I doubt I'd drink it all year round, but then again, I might. I think the aroma is great, and that the spicing balances the malt and rounds it out nicely. Additionally, unlike many pumpkin beers that utilize too much cinnamon, that's not the case here and I can actually taste the nutmeg clearly. At the very least, in the realm of pumpkin beers, it's definitely more towards the top of the heap than the bottom. (573 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Very hazy orange-brown with a quick to fade off-white head.

Smell: Yeasty, pumpkin pie spices.

Taste: Pretty good. Like a spicy pumpkin pie, but not too overpowering. Plenty of yeast and wheat throughout.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick and well carbonated.

Overall: Pretty good pumpkin beer, not that it’s my favorite style. Shock Top’s toned-down style works pretty well here, as I don’t want too much pumpkin in my beer. (441 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The smell of the brew is a light smell as well as the taste for pumpkin beer. I felt there could be a stronger flavor and spice, but maybe that is why I am still okay with it. Also the can I have says the ABV is 5.1% not that it is much difference just found that interesting. (276 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +21.9%

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat brewed by Anheuser-Busch with an ABV of 5.2% This brew pours out of a brown bottle a light brown amber with a small white head. The smell is sweet with pumpkin and some grains. You also pick up on some spices in this brew. The taste is rich with flavor. You pick up on pumpkin and spices and some grains at the end. Not as much flavor as I would like to see in a pumpkin brew. There is a lot going on in this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Pumpkin wheat has a nice balance to it. Overall I'm giving this brew 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again. (628 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Cloudy gold with two fingers of white head. Spots of lace.
Smell is spicy dominated by cinnamon and nutmeg.
Taste is similar to the nose with a bit too sweet overall but quite drinkable.
Mouthfeel is light to medium and ample carbonation.
Finishes lightly sweet citrus and spices.
An alright pumpkin beer. Not quite as good a major competitor though. (352 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -17.5%

Not my favorite pumpkin of the year. The pour was a pale orange and the head was fizzy and did not trail. The smell was mostly wheat to the point where it smelled like and average shock top. And the taste kind of was. Mild wheat flavor with a bit of artificial pumpkin instead of the usual orange. Didn't care too much for it. (327 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured bottle into glass. 5.1% abv

Appearance- Dark orange and cloudy. Two finger head that dissipates quickly.

Smell- Aroma of wheat, with pumpkin mash and spices. Smells like cinamon or perhaps nutmeg.

Taste- Light malt flavor up front and wheaty. Pumpkin taste is there but slightly. The beer finishes on a pumpkin pie spice note which is stronger. Bitterness is on the back end as well, although not strong.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body with decent carbonation.

Overall- Slightly better than I expected. Could use more pumpkin flavor but this is no micro brew. Not bad. I would drink this again, or even on draft at a bar if this was an offer. The spice taste was not overpowering either. If the pumpkin was stronger it would score better. (745 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Re-review, underneath original impressions.

Saw this and couldn't resist. Love the look and the conception of Pumpkin wheat beer. So here we go.

appearance - n/a
9-13-14 : Appearance (3.25) - Deep golden auburn color with a rapidly
diminishing creamy two finger head. No lacing.
Smell - Doesn't really smell like anything? A fresh mowed yard. A garden. For some reason I'm getting a whole summer vibe here like, when you step outside and you smell the combination of flowers, barbecue from someone in the neighborhood, and freshly mowed grass. How strange. I suppose there IS a hint of pumpkin in there, but man it's faint.
9-13-14 : Smell (3.5) - Some fresh spice, faint pumpkin, clove, nutmeg.
Taste - A smooth spicy beer that's heavy on coriander and spices. Pumpkin surfaces towards the end and at the very last you taste pumpkin pie. The finish is the best. Mmmm. Mild hop bitterness with the classic Shock Top sour wheat that won't go away.
9-13-14 : Taste (3.5) - Easy drinking, ends pleasant. The wheat is there. Nice
pumpkin spice finish. Body is clove, nutmeg, a dash of cinnamon. This is better
than I remember.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and dry.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9-13-14 : Mouthfeel (3) - Wet, slightly carbonated, ends crisp.

Overall - 2.85 - It's okay. In every sense of the word. I wouldn't buy another 6-er of it again, but I'm sure this beer will be in my fridge for the next few months as it's very much a seasonal and mood-related beer. I'm left with the impression of a soggy pumpkin. Not appealing. Lemon Shandy and Honey Crisp still wins in the Shock Top library. No comparison.
9-13-14 : Overall (3.16) - Not bad at all. This time was better than last, for sure.
After trying the horrid "Punk'n", I have hope for this beer. I WOULD buy a sixer
of this again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (3,048 characters)

This is a decent version of a pumpkin beer. A little breadier than most version, but sort of expected with the Shock Top name. Not beating you over the head with flavor, but it is there.

Would not revisit. (206 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sampling right now after bowling on 3/4/14. I have had this one a few times in the past but has been about 2 years ago and bought last autumn and finally made it's way from the back of the beer cooler to the front. LOL! Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F and poured into a pilsner flute glass.

Pours a orange-amber in color with a thin white head that lasts the whole drink. Some spotty lacing is seen. Small steaming bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass the whole time. but perfect carbonation actually. The aroma is of very light pumpkin and spices (mostly cloves). The taste is about the same with more spices of cloves & nutmeg coming out then the light pumpkin and wheat flavor. No harsh or bitter aftertaste. Overall, it wasn't bad. (750 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
Pours a clear, medium orange color and is topped by a thin, off-white head. Light sediment caught in suspension and the carbonation here is through the roof.

Aroma:
Pretty dull. Light traces of clove, cinnamon and nutmeg. Hardly any pumpkin, but there is a subtle sweetness present.

Taste:
More character than the nose would you lead you to believe, however it's still a bit dull. Spices are dominant.. In fact, that's all I really get. It's semi-sweet with very little pumpkin character.

Mouthfeel:
Thin body with gobs of carbonation. Refreshing, clean finish. Not at all what I look for in a pumpkin beer, but it's enjoyable.

Overall:
Definitely not the worst pumpkin beer out there, but far from the best. What we have here is a pumpkin beer that has potential, but fails to live up to it. If you're looking for a spiced beer that's not going to weigh you down after a few back to back, this is worth consideration. However, if you're looking for a full bodied pumpkin to take your time with, this isn't it. (1,026 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellowish amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short white head that quickly died down, leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of pumpkins and pumpkin spices are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has light to moderate aromas of pumpkins and pumpkin spices along with slight bits of sweetness.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has nice aromas of pumpkins and pumpkin spices, but these seem like these could be a little stronger. (671 characters)

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat from Anheuser-Busch