Join our email list →

Missouri, United States | website

Pumpkin Ale | 5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 225 | Hads: 1,182
1.02/5  rDev -67.7%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. It's disgusting. It's flat, morbid, has no distinct flavor. There's a hint of clove, which just makes it taste even more heinous. I took it to a couple of different friends places and I thought they were going to kill me.

If you watch "The Walking Dead", there was a scene where was this fat, bald zombie is stuck in a well. They tried to pull him out but he ripped in half and all his zombie guts wound up back in the well.

Well, I imagine the water in that well is basically what is used to make this beer. I have had good pumpkin beer before, but not this. You do not even taste the pumpkin. It's almost like someone dropped a cigarette butt in your bottle.

1.48/5  rDev -53.2%

Ive never tried the cinnamon challenge, but this has to be close to the same dose of spices you get cannonballing straight cinnamon. Overpowering, pungent, perfumy spices hit your senses like a runaway semi truck. I new it was BMC, I new it was gonna suck, but I tried it anyway.

1.65/5  rDev -47.8%

THE LABEL IS A MARKETING TACTIC! LOOKS COOL, MAKES ME FEEL AS IF I AM COOLER (THAN AN ORDINARY DAY OF COOLNESS) WHEN I HAVE ONE IN MY HAND. I ASKED MY WIFE TO GET ME A 12 PACK OF SHIPYARD PUMPKINHEAD...LIQUOR STORE WAS OUT OF STOCK SO SHE SUBSTITUTED SHOCK TOP. I YELLED, "NO SUBSTITUTIONS!" HERES MY OPINION: AROMA---POPPED THE TOP AND WATCHED THE DRAGON TAIL-LIKE FOG HOVERING IN-BETWEEN THE AIR AND LIQUID, SPIRALING INTO NON-EXISTENCE. THE LABEL READS "PUMPKINS AND A VARIETY AUTUMNAL SPICES" WHICH RAISED MY EXPECTATIONS; MY EXPECTATIONS WERE UNMET. TYPE IN "AROMA" IN GOOGLE AND SHOCK TOP WILL NOT BE NUMBER 1. NOR WILL IT BE 2, 3 OR 4...YOU SEE WHERE I AM GOING WITH THIS. THIS BEER LACKS A DISTINCT AROMA. CINNAMON, PUMPKIN (SOMETHING REDNECKS DO DURING HALLOWEEN) AND NUTMEG HAVE A STRONG AROMA. I COOK QUITE A BIT AND HAVE USED ALL THREE. I FEEL AS IF THE FOLKS AT AH-BUSH DID NOT USE ANY OF THE THREE. AND YES, I DID FOLLOW THE POURING INSTRUCTIONS ON THE NECK. APPEARANCE--- LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BUD PRODUCT. LETS INNOVATE FOLKS. TASTE---MEDIUM BITTER AFTER TASTE, LIGHT TO START. NO SHOCK-TOP. BING "TASTE" AND YOU MAY GET SHOCK TOP AS A RESULT BECAUSE BING SUCKS. PALATE---LIGHT BODY, THIN POLAND SPRINGS LIKE TEXTURE, DIET COKE FIZZ, SLIGHT BITTER FINISH LEAVING YOU TO CRAVE FOR SOMETHING ELSE. CLOSE TO FINISHING THE BOTTLE, I SWALLOW AND MAKE A FACE (TO MYSELF) ; A CONTORTED, JUST SMELLED A DEAD BODY KINDA FACE. AND FOLKS, DONT LET THIS BEER GET WARM...NASTY. THE LAST SWIG IS RESERVED FOR THE RECYCLING RATS AT THE REDEMPTION CENTER

1.65/5  rDev -47.8%

Look: Kind of a dull orange. Like some tree leaves on a cloudy dayat the end of Autumn just before a strong winterish wind blows them to the ground.
Smell: Similar to a frozen pumpkin pie before it is baked. Not necessarily appetizing.
Taste: Horrid is probably the most accurate single word to describe it. I should maybe qualify this by saying I purchased this do to a coupon offer and generally do not care for "flavored" beers. But I have been known to enjoy an occasional night of various Leinenkugel's. And there are several wheat beers I can enjoy. However, this Shock Top was at once too bland, too sweet and just too off from what I consider to be palatable.
Feel: Felt like I was drinking carbonated melted root beer barrel hard candies.
Overall: I'd rather drink Jack Daniels from a Jack-O-Lantern.
This is the only beer I have ever drain poured an entire six pack, minus the 8 oz's or so I was able to down from the first bottle. Would not ever consider drinking this again. Would not ever give this to a friend. Would not ever give this to someone I did not want to be my friend. Would not ever give this to a desperate beer-a-holic.

1.72/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a very cloudy shade of orange with a one finger, very puffy white head that fades quickly. There is a lingering column of god knows what in the middle of the beer that makes it look absolutely disgusting

S- artificial cinnamon and nutmeg. It smells processed and very stale on the nose

T- I get a very, very weak taste of pumpkin. This has less flavor than both the regular Shock Top and the Raspberry Wheat, which I didn't think was possible. Wow

M- medium body, sitting on the thin side. Whatever

O- there are so many better options for pumpkin beer out there. I picked up a single of this on a whim to see if AB could do something solid like they did with the raspberry wheat. They failed miserably

1.75/5  rDev -44.6%

Sitting with someone who is drinking one, so figured I would do a quick review. Can't say I liked it much. The nose is weak, that of honey and pumpkin. It's almost sweet on an almost overpowering level, and funny enough, the pumpkin is now surprisingly absent. It just tastes like a sweet, honey flavored mess. The feel is that of a highly carbonated wheat ale.

Just no.

1.99/5  rDev -37%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours a hazy, burnt amber color with what could only be described as an ephemeral head. Aroma smells of pumpkin, allspice, and a bit of caramel.

The taste sits on a foundation of watered down artificial caramel flavoring. I had to hesitate for several seconds before deciding whether to spit it out or proceed with the tasting. I decided to forge on in the name of discovery and perhaps set a firmer floor for my beer review distribution... There is a hint of pumpkin on the front end that morphs into something flagrantly objectionable toward the middle. I don’t even know how to describe it, but it’s a flavor that would likely be more at home in a bottle under the kitchen sink than in my fridge. Moldy bread with quarters also comes to mind. Some grain husk emerges in the finish, which I'm normally not keen on, but I must confess it's the most palatable and beer-like component of the taste. Moderate carbonation and a thin body make for a tepid cola mouthfeel.

I admittedly had low expectations for this beer, but Shock Top managed to exceed them most heinously. There are few brews that I would be less inclined to ever drink again--and that’s with most of the glass still full. There is simply nothing to be gained by trying this.

2.06/5  rDev -34.8%

On tap at my watering hole, Old Chi Westy. Poured a fairly clear, somewhat orangeish color with no head and no lacing. Aromas of wheat and a bit of pumpkin spices. Taste was wheat and that's about it with no hop bitterness. After a full pint, I was still wondering "where's the pumpiin?'. Not disgusting by any means but very little going for it. I definitely would not seek out.

2.12/5  rDev -32.9%

I can't seem to notice any of the characteristics, that others have mentioned, other than that it pours a nice burnt orange color. It simply smells and tastes like beer to me. If you gave it to me blindfolded, I couldn't tell this was a pumpkin beer from a plain one. I love pumpkin pie. The smell and taste is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. That being said, I did not smell nor taste any pumpkin or spices in this beer. I could not taste anything beyond the traditional bitterness of hops.

2.15/5  rDev -32%

So on my little tour of pumpkin beers this fall (late summer), my next stop is the Pumpkin Wheat from Shock Top.

Given to me as a sample bottle, I forgot about this one for a few days before taking it home and cracking it. Pours out a darker shade of amber than I expected, with a lively off-white foam head.

The aromas are, well, barely noticeable. There's a touch of pumpkin, but not like sweet pumpkin. It smells like someone took a beer dunked their slice of pumpkin pie into it for a moment.

The taste is, well, I'm not sure how to put this. I've never had a beer to review like this. I'm going to try to take a few more sips just for the sake of an evaluation. It really tastes as if someone dunked a slice of pumpkin pie into a glass of shock top beer. It really doesn't taste much like pumpkin at all. I get just the tiniest little touch of spices, but barely noticeable.

I hate to admit it, but I'm going to pour most of this down the drain, I'm just not into it whatsoever. And I used to be a Shock Top fan, but this is, well, totally not what I was hoping for.

Sorry guys, I'm going to pass on this one. Better luck next time

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

Very blah, not something I would seek out with better alternatives nearby. A less than average seasonal that I didn't enjoy as much as I hoped I would.

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

It was Halloween. Sofia the First was trekking through round one at the mall and the leaves needed gathering. It had been a long work week and I was up on the idea of breaking the self-imposed "no booze" policy in order to live out the Autumnal-American ideal of pausing the fall clean-up with some spiced and hearty hooch. My phone fetched a largely positive lump of opinion from the obvious place along with a report of a slightly above average alcohol content. Thusly I picked up a dozen of these populist Missourian honor students.

Postage stamps, to me, have always possessed a soul-stroking sensibility. Envelopes too, for that matter, have long invited the caress of my eager tongue as I shrugged off the seemingly more important message that was to be tucked within. I sealed the envelope addressed to Anheuser-Busch knowing that a mistake had been made and briskly made my way out of the garage and toward the mailbox. Just then, I was struck by a dire thirst and was forced to uncap another. My letter had asked for a refund of a dozen minus one (which had been imbibed) but now I was halfway through another. Reluctant to try the limits of honesty, I kept the letter from the mailbox and continued drinking the beer.

It was then that I realized no mistake had been made. No, no.... Anheuser-Busch did not accidentally pour Budweiser into my ShockTop Pumpkin Wheat. Instead, it turns out that ShockTop Pumpkin Wheat just tastes like rice, corn and some other things that are neither pumpkin nor wheat.

When I question my palate, I relocate to my doorstep. That jack-o-lantern, which was never intended for consumption, humbly and effortlessly emits a sweet and roasted bouquet of sexual-grade pumpkin goodness.

ShockTop, which was carefully put together by a gang of masters, reeks of 'taint.

2.17/5  rDev -31.3%

I purchased a 6 pack at my local Publix.

A- Drank straight from the bottle. I did not notice.

S- Smells like pumpkin spice, not bad.

T- Very watery for what it should be. Pumpkin flavor and spice were more faint than expected.

M- Too watery. Medium carbonation

O- I like many types of brews, but I did not really like this one. Try another brand if looking for a pumpkin ale.

2.18/5  rDev -31%

Pumpkin taste is noticable in the beginning of the first sip, then the cloves, nutmeg,and allspice take over the beer. The carbonation is a bit harsh, and has a strange aftertaste. Overall, I would rate this at the bottom of the pack of the pumpkin beers I have tried this year. The aftertaste is strange, and even turns my stomach a little. The original sips aren’t bad and the pumpkin flavor is slight, but there is something about this one that just does not agree. I don’t hate it, but I won’t be purchasing this one again

2.18/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

It's a beer. Generic, not overly flavorful and clearly mass produced. The original shock top has its place during the summer, but should have passed on this one.

2.26/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

From tasting notes 9-23-11
Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Cloudy orange to orange-amber pour with creamy light tan head that settles fairly slowly and leaves a surprisingly thick lace behind.

Smell: Smells pretty much like the regular Shock Top with some spices added--all spice, nutmeg, and maybe a hint of cloves.

Taste: The taste is unappealing to me. I taste two flavors which are not smoothly synthesized together into one coherent beer. The first is the traditional shock top white flavor of some wheat and yeast, and the second flavor that hits is a hint of pumpkin and nutmeg, with the aftertaste being predominately nutmeg.

Mouthfeel: Watery mouthfeel, little carbonation. Not a very crisp finish and not too appealing to say the least.

Overall: Not a great beer in my opinion. Basically tastes like shock top and nutmeg; the mouthfeel is awful and I definitely do not want another one of these.

2.31/5  rDev -26.9%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy orangish amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is some wheat with pumpkin and spices.

T- Not as much pumpkin and spice flavors in the taste as I expected. The taste starts out with some wheat and has some faint spices in the finish. A little on the bland side.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation.

O- Overall, this does not stand up to some of the better pumpkin beers. What it does provide is a mainstream pumpkin beer that will probably turn on a lot of people to the style who have never tried one before.

2.41/5  rDev -23.7%

A-pours a clearly over carbonated orangey haze with a thin 1 finger translucent head, that leaves quickly and leaves little to no lace
S- very weak nose, slight slight pumpkin and all spice but you have to look for it.
T- carbonation, tand, slight pumpkin flavor, but again has to be found
M- way too carbonated, tingly, tangy
O-....

2.42/5  rDev -23.4%

The beers was a very basic yellow beer with a lot of head. The smell of the beer wasnt anything great, just a bit of sweetness and pumpkin. The taste was not impressive at all. I get a little bit of pumpkin, but then after that just tasted like a basic adjunct beer. The mouthfeel was average and overall I dont find anything about this beer that makes me ever want it again. One of the worst Pumpkin beers I have ever had.

2.45/5  rDev -22.5%

A slightly hazed orange tinted copper hue with a light tan head fizzy and dwindling quickly, by the way no lacing left behind on my glass in this one. This one is abrasive with pumpkin pie spices almost a sugar coated cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice pumpkin pie kick going on. Is there a wheat beer in there somewhere I'm sure there is but where? Pumpkin pie spice massive loads of residual sugar, first off you must like these "pumpkin" beers to begin with, and secondly I tend to like the ones with actual pumpkin flesh (the gourd) not just the pie spices. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied a bit cloying with residual sugars and loads of pie spices. Definitely not the worse but by far something I'm going to be reaching for anytime soon, quit jumping on bandwagons and marketing trends and make some honestly good beer next time.

2.46/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Followed Directions on the Bottle on how to pour into a glass for "Best Flavor Results"

A: It's Orange and Hazy, with a wee bit of Head on top. It looks pretty damn good for a wheat/Pumpkin Ale.

S: Bland, Mainly Squash and a bit of spice

T: a lot like the smell, it Starts off Crisp and sweet with a bit of spice and Pumpkin flavor(this part is nice) the tail end is what kills this beer. It just doesn't taste right, I think they over used the nutmeg and that kills it.

M: Thin, and watery with a weird after feeling almost like putting flour in your mouth.

O: Avoid this beer, It could have been good, or at least acceptable, but it is neither. Blue Moon Makes a non offensive Pumpkin ale, Sam Adams makes a pretty good and balanced one. Even Buffalo Bills is better than this crap. Sorry Shocktop Maybe next year

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a decent version of a pumpkin beer. A little breadier than most versions, but sort of expected with the Shock Top name. Not beating you over the head with flavor, but it is there.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

2.52/5  rDev -20.3%

This seasonal macro-posing-as-craft-beer pours a cloudy copper, with an average head and very little lace.

Smells of pumpkin, rather than spice. Not bad so far. But the worst is yet to come!

The flavor is metallic, with a weird artificial-tasting pumpkin-spice mix. To boot, this one's watery and thin-bodied. There's something missing here. Avoid!

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Light orange, clear, no head, zero lacing. Smell was watery, grainy, background note of nutmeg or some type of pumpkin pie spice. Taste was mostly non-descript, grain, and the light pumpkin pie spices, almost as an after thought. This is a pumpkin beer for the masses, and nothing a craft beer enthusiast would be enthusiastic over.

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clouded, dirtied orange body with a slim, short-lived, near-white head.

Smell: Listless pumpkin notes, a sliver of malted wheat, and spiritless sniff of spice.

Taste: Slight tangy wheatiness, then, some lightly vegetal canned pumpkin flavor. Mildly sweet. Modestly spicy, though none of the purported spice additions coming through enough to be identified beyond a vague "spice" hint. Nil hop character, very, very low bitterness. A bit more uninteresting pumpkin taste and wimpy spice on the increasingly watery finish.

Mouthfeel: Thinnish body. Vapid, lackluster carbonation.

Overall: Didn't dig it. When you're making Blue Moon Harvest Moon look like a real treat, you know you've screwed up.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat from Anheuser-Busch