Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 207 | Hads: 1,091
1.02/5  rDev -68.1%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. It's disgusting. It's flat, morbid, has no distinct flavor. There's a hint of clove, which just makes it taste even more heinous. I took it to a couple of different friends places and I thought they were going to kill me.

If you watch "The Walking Dead", there was a scene where was this fat, bald zombie is stuck in a well. They tried to pull him out but he ripped in half and all his zombie guts wound up back in the well.

Well, I imagine the water in that well is basically what is used to make this beer. I have had good pumpkin beer before, but not this. You do not even taste the pumpkin. It's almost like someone dropped a cigarette butt in your bottle. (706 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -53.8%

Ive never tried the cinnamon challenge, but this has to be close to the same dose of spices you get cannonballing straight cinnamon. Overpowering, pungent, perfumy spices hit your senses like a runaway semi truck. I new it was BMC, I new it was gonna suck, but I tried it anyway. (279 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -48.4%

THE LABEL IS A MARKETING TACTIC! LOOKS COOL, MAKES ME FEEL AS IF I AM COOLER (THAN AN ORDINARY DAY OF COOLNESS) WHEN I HAVE ONE IN MY HAND. I ASKED MY WIFE TO GET ME A 12 PACK OF SHIPYARD PUMPKINHEAD...LIQUOR STORE WAS OUT OF STOCK SO SHE SUBSTITUTED SHOCK TOP. I YELLED, "NO SUBSTITUTIONS!" HERES MY OPINION: AROMA---POPPED THE TOP AND WATCHED THE DRAGON TAIL-LIKE FOG HOVERING IN-BETWEEN THE AIR AND LIQUID, SPIRALING INTO NON-EXISTENCE. THE LABEL READS "PUMPKINS AND A VARIETY AUTUMNAL SPICES" WHICH RAISED MY EXPECTATIONS; MY EXPECTATIONS WERE UNMET. TYPE IN "AROMA" IN GOOGLE AND SHOCK TOP WILL NOT BE NUMBER 1. NOR WILL IT BE 2, 3 OR 4...YOU SEE WHERE I AM GOING WITH THIS. THIS BEER LACKS A DISTINCT AROMA. CINNAMON, PUMPKIN (SOMETHING REDNECKS DO DURING HALLOWEEN) AND NUTMEG HAVE A STRONG AROMA. I COOK QUITE A BIT AND HAVE USED ALL THREE. I FEEL AS IF THE FOLKS AT AH-BUSH DID NOT USE ANY OF THE THREE. AND YES, I DID FOLLOW THE POURING INSTRUCTIONS ON THE NECK. APPEARANCE--- LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BUD PRODUCT. LETS INNOVATE FOLKS. TASTE---MEDIUM BITTER AFTER TASTE, LIGHT TO START. NO SHOCK-TOP. BING "TASTE" AND YOU MAY GET SHOCK TOP AS A RESULT BECAUSE BING SUCKS. PALATE---LIGHT BODY, THIN POLAND SPRINGS LIKE TEXTURE, DIET COKE FIZZ, SLIGHT BITTER FINISH LEAVING YOU TO CRAVE FOR SOMETHING ELSE. CLOSE TO FINISHING THE BOTTLE, I SWALLOW AND MAKE A FACE (TO MYSELF) ; A CONTORTED, JUST SMELLED A DEAD BODY KINDA FACE. AND FOLKS, DONT LET THIS BEER GET WARM...NASTY. THE LAST SWIG IS RESERVED FOR THE RECYCLING RATS AT THE REDEMPTION CENTER (1,551 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -46.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a very cloudy shade of orange with a one finger, very puffy white head that fades quickly. There is a lingering column of god knows what in the middle of the beer that makes it look absolutely disgusting

S- artificial cinnamon and nutmeg. It smells processed and very stale on the nose

T- I get a very, very weak taste of pumpkin. This has less flavor than both the regular Shock Top and the Raspberry Wheat, which I didn't think was possible. Wow

M- medium body, sitting on the thin side. Whatever

O- there are so many better options for pumpkin beer out there. I picked up a single of this on a whim to see if AB could do something solid like they did with the raspberry wheat. They failed miserably (754 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -45.3%

Sitting with someone who is drinking one, so figured I would do a quick review. Can't say I liked it much. The nose is weak, that of honey and pumpkin. It's almost sweet on an almost overpowering level, and funny enough, the pumpkin is now surprisingly absent. It just tastes like a sweet, honey flavored mess. The feel is that of a highly carbonated wheat ale.

Just no. (371 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -35.6%

On tap at my watering hole, Old Chi Westy. Poured a fairly clear, somewhat orangeish color with no head and no lacing. Aromas of wheat and a bit of pumpkin spices. Taste was wheat and that's about it with no hop bitterness. After a full pint, I was still wondering "where's the pumpiin?'. Not disgusting by any means but very little going for it. I definitely would not seek out. (379 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -32.8%

So on my little tour of pumpkin beers this fall (late summer), my next stop is the Pumpkin Wheat from Shock Top.

Given to me as a sample bottle, I forgot about this one for a few days before taking it home and cracking it. Pours out a darker shade of amber than I expected, with a lively off-white foam head.

The aromas are, well, barely noticeable. There's a touch of pumpkin, but not like sweet pumpkin. It smells like someone took a beer dunked their slice of pumpkin pie into it for a moment.

The taste is, well, I'm not sure how to put this. I've never had a beer to review like this. I'm going to try to take a few more sips just for the sake of an evaluation. It really tastes as if someone dunked a slice of pumpkin pie into a glass of shock top beer. It really doesn't taste much like pumpkin at all. I get just the tiniest little touch of spices, but barely noticeable.

I hate to admit it, but I'm going to pour most of this down the drain, I'm just not into it whatsoever. And I used to be a Shock Top fan, but this is, well, totally not what I was hoping for.

Sorry guys, I'm going to pass on this one. Better luck next time (1,141 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -32.2%

I purchased a 6 pack at my local Publix.

A- Drank straight from the bottle. I did not notice.

S- Smells like pumpkin spice, not bad.

T- Very watery for what it should be. Pumpkin flavor and spice were more faint than expected.

M- Too watery. Medium carbonation

O- I like many types of brews, but I did not really like this one. Try another brand if looking for a pumpkin ale. (383 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -31.9%

Pumpkin taste is noticable in the beginning of the first sip, then the cloves, nutmeg,and allspice take over the beer. The carbonation is a bit harsh, and has a strange aftertaste. Overall, I would rate this at the bottom of the pack of the pumpkin beers I have tried this year. The aftertaste is strange, and even turns my stomach a little. The original sips aren’t bad and the pumpkin flavor is slight, but there is something about this one that just does not agree. I don’t hate it, but I won’t be purchasing this one again (532 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

From tasting notes 9-23-11
Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Cloudy orange to orange-amber pour with creamy light tan head that settles fairly slowly and leaves a surprisingly thick lace behind.

Smell: Smells pretty much like the regular Shock Top with some spices added--all spice, nutmeg, and maybe a hint of cloves.

Taste: The taste is unappealing to me. I taste two flavors which are not smoothly synthesized together into one coherent beer. The first is the traditional shock top white flavor of some wheat and yeast, and the second flavor that hits is a hint of pumpkin and nutmeg, with the aftertaste being predominately nutmeg.

Mouthfeel: Watery mouthfeel, little carbonation. Not a very crisp finish and not too appealing to say the least.

Overall: Not a great beer in my opinion. Basically tastes like shock top and nutmeg; the mouthfeel is awful and I definitely do not want another one of these. (916 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -27.8%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy orangish amber color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is some wheat with pumpkin and spices.

T- Not as much pumpkin and spice flavors in the taste as I expected. The taste starts out with some wheat and has some faint spices in the finish. A little on the bland side.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation.

O- Overall, this does not stand up to some of the better pumpkin beers. What it does provide is a mainstream pumpkin beer that will probably turn on a lot of people to the style who have never tried one before. (576 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -24.7%

A-pours a clearly over carbonated orangey haze with a thin 1 finger translucent head, that leaves quickly and leaves little to no lace
S- very weak nose, slight slight pumpkin and all spice but you have to look for it.
T- carbonation, tand, slight pumpkin flavor, but again has to be found
M- way too carbonated, tingly, tangy
O-.... (333 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -24.4%

The beers was a very basic yellow beer with a lot of head. The smell of the beer wasnt anything great, just a bit of sweetness and pumpkin. The taste was not impressive at all. I get a little bit of pumpkin, but then after that just tasted like a basic adjunct beer. The mouthfeel was average and overall I dont find anything about this beer that makes me ever want it again. One of the worst Pumpkin beers I have ever had. (423 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -23.4%

A slightly hazed orange tinted copper hue with a light tan head fizzy and dwindling quickly, by the way no lacing left behind on my glass in this one. This one is abrasive with pumpkin pie spices almost a sugar coated cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice pumpkin pie kick going on. Is there a wheat beer in there somewhere I'm sure there is but where? Pumpkin pie spice massive loads of residual sugar, first off you must like these "pumpkin" beers to begin with, and secondly I tend to like the ones with actual pumpkin flesh (the gourd) not just the pie spices. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied a bit cloying with residual sugars and loads of pie spices. Definitely not the worse but by far something I'm going to be reaching for anytime soon, quit jumping on bandwagons and marketing trends and make some honestly good beer next time. (831 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Followed Directions on the Bottle on how to pour into a glass for "Best Flavor Results"

A: It's Orange and Hazy, with a wee bit of Head on top. It looks pretty damn good for a wheat/Pumpkin Ale.

S: Bland, Mainly Squash and a bit of spice

T: a lot like the smell, it Starts off Crisp and sweet with a bit of spice and Pumpkin flavor(this part is nice) the tail end is what kills this beer. It just doesn't taste right, I think they over used the nutmeg and that kills it.

M: Thin, and watery with a weird after feeling almost like putting flour in your mouth.

O: Avoid this beer, It could have been good, or at least acceptable, but it is neither. Blue Moon Makes a non offensive Pumpkin ale, Sam Adams makes a pretty good and balanced one. Even Buffalo Bills is better than this crap. Sorry Shocktop Maybe next year (820 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -21.3%

This seasonal macro-posing-as-craft-beer pours a cloudy copper, with an average head and very little lace.

Smells of pumpkin, rather than spice. Not bad so far. But the worst is yet to come!

The flavor is metallic, with a weird artificial-tasting pumpkin-spice mix. To boot, this one's watery and thin-bodied. There's something missing here. Avoid! (352 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Light orange, clear, no head, zero lacing. Smell was watery, grainy, background note of nutmeg or some type of pumpkin pie spice. Taste was mostly non-descript, grain, and the light pumpkin pie spices, almost as an after thought. This is a pumpkin beer for the masses, and nothing a craft beer enthusiast would be enthusiastic over. (332 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clouded, dirtied orange body with a slim, short-lived, near-white head.

Smell: Listless pumpkin notes, a sliver of malted wheat, and spiritless sniff of spice.

Taste: Slight tangy wheatiness, then, some lightly vegetal canned pumpkin flavor. Mildly sweet. Modestly spicy, though none of the purported spice additions coming through enough to be identified beyond a vague "spice" hint. Nil hop character, very, very low bitterness. A bit more uninteresting pumpkin taste and wimpy spice on the increasingly watery finish.

Mouthfeel: Thinnish body. Vapid, lackluster carbonation.

Overall: Didn't dig it. When you're making Blue Moon Harvest Moon look like a real treat, you know you've screwed up. (787 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -20.6%

Bought a 12 FL.OZ. bottle of this from Lukas Liquor in Ellisville, MO for $1.49 & enjoyed it before GAME 3 (STL vs. MIL) @ Busch Stadium (St. Louis, MO). Poured from the normal Shock Top Bottle but w/ a Pumpkin underneath the Shock Top "Sun Man" into a 16oz Plastic Cup. Has 112 30 bf04 written on the back of the bottle.

Aroma- Huge wheaty and sweet aroma from the beginning. Almost no pumpkin in the aroma! This is a shame...

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger, off white head that lasts for a good amount of time. Has a dark hazy color body that is copper and awesome looking! Leaves sudsy lacing behind.

Flavor- Very strong grainy tastes and then has a sweet background. Has an extremely faint spice in here but can't get ahold of it at all. Definitely no pumpkin taste. Very low hop flavor as well.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, and has strong grains and once again maybe some spice but this is all...

Overall Impression- Is this a Pumpkin Ale or American Wheat beer? I know it states its a "Pumpkin Wheat" but there definitely isn't any pumpkin in here that I could tell... Have to rate it as a Pumpkin Ale and I say avoid! Did not do ANYTHING for me except for the appearance after the pour. From the pour, I thought it was going to be excellent, but then went in for all the senses and my eyes were bigger than my stomach... (1,360 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy orangey color with a white fluffy head that is still hanging around for a bit. Decent looking brew.

S-At first whiff I'm getting a real citrusy aroma. The pumpkin and spice is very mild.

T-Just a mish mash of wheat, citrus fruit, and spice. Just OK.

M-Real thin, watery feel. Not a full bodied as other pumpkin beers.

O-Overall this beer is just OK. It feels like the beer doesn't know what it wants to be - a hefeweizen or a pumpkin ale. (484 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -19.7%

High on spice and with a slightly off-balanced malt/grain ratio, this Pumpkin Ale on training wheels may find favor with avid drinkers of American Lagers wishing to venture out a bit.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat pours with a copper and orange color that actually resembles pumpkin color to a slight extent. Hazy as to be expected from wheated beers, the beer forms a part-foamy, part-fizzy head that retains a little better than I expected, but not as good as classic Belgian-style Wheat Ales. No lace and fleeting carbonation leaves this beer looking somewhat lifeless after a few quick drinks.

Spicy sweet aromas carry the added spices of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg reasonably well. A light backgound note of starchy (pumpkin?), caramel, and citrus round out the simplified nose in somewhat mild to timid intensity.

Grainy-sweet flavors of malted and raw barley along with wheat provide a thin sweetness that could side better with pilsner malt and wheat. But the spicy additions and caramel flavor help to support the notion of pumpkin pie for a short time. Thin malty richness allows the beer to die at mid palate and ushers in a bland and watery finish with a lingering of perfumy spice.

Grainy sweet to texture as well as the beer never develops the malty creaminess or the malty-dry finish of either Belgian Witbiers or common Pumpkin Ales. Watery, thin, and oddly sweet- the combination of aspirtame and dish soap reveals the unpleasantries of spices, grain, and lacking malt balance.

Those who are venturing out of the shaddow of industrial lagers may find comfort with this grainy-sweet version of Pumpkin Ales, but this is among one of the weakest brands on the market. (1,682 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -19.4%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, good thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a hazy dark copper.

Sm: Pumpkin and spice. That's it. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Very light pumpkin and slight spice. A simple clean barley foundation underlies. Very simple but fairly balanced. It's built okay, but I wish there was more going on.

Mf: Smooth and wet, not really suiting the flavours all that much. Of course there aren't too many flavours to complement.

Dr: Easy drinkable, but it's a touch sharp - probably from overcarbonation. It's far from great, and I don't think I'd call it good. We'll leave it at okay. I won't have it again.

---
01/12/14: I somehow ended up accidentally buying this again, so I figured I may as well take down some quick notes.

Bottle into pilsner glass in Austin, TX.

A: Pours a weak but generally inviting copper. There's nothing special or unique about it and it looks pretty overcarbonated. The head is a bit sad, but does clock in at about 3 minutes, so I suppose it's above average. I'm far from impressed so far, but it's a passable look for a pumpkin beer.

Sm: Artificial pumpkin gourd, faint cinnamon, faint nutmeg, clean barley, and wheat. The pumpkin dominates - as well it should. I wouldn't know this was a macrobrew if you gave it to me blind - at least not based on the aroma alone.

A pleasant aroma of average strength. There are no egregious off-notes. No alcohol, yeast, or true hop character comes through.

T: Hm. The flavour profile is painfully simple, offering only a generic malted barley foundation with some artificial pumpkin. It's a reach just to find the wheat. Overall, I'm not thrilled with the build, but it's generally well balanced. Not a gestalt or intricately built brew, but a passable and enjoyable enough one. At least this pumpkin beer has pumpkin flavours; that's more than I can say about a lot of them.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Too thick and full-bodied, even a bit syrupy. Overcarbonated. A bit refreshing, I suppose. Slightly sticky.

Not astringent or boozy. Texture generally suits the taste, but there's nothing here that feels custom-tailored specifically to it.

Dr: Middling execution. This is a subpar pumpkin beer at a reasonable price point, and I'm glad it's on the market if only so it lures newcomers towards craft beer. That said, it offers nothing to impress the discerning drinker and I hope I avoid purchasing it again in the future. Not recommended.

(2,619 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy light orange beer with 1/2 finger head.

Pumpkin pie spice aroma. Not much else there to smell. Maybe a little malty sweetness.

Pumpkin pie spice flavor dominates. Light, yeasty, citrusy flavor in background is a little off-putting. Decent bitterness.

The mouthfeel is terrible! Thin, watery, over carbonated. It just doesn't feel right. It doesn't coat the mouth with flavor at all. It leaves the tongue feeling dry and attacked by bubbles. I hate the mouthfeel of this beer.

The pumpkin wheat title appealed to me. And although I can't say I'm completely dissatisfied, I will definately not rush out to buy this beer again. (635 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A It looks very good when poured 1 to 2 inch head and a copper pumpkin color.

S It has no pumpkin smell to it at all just a light ale smell.

T It taste just like a light ale with no spice or pumpkin taste.

M just average mouthful flaver ale goes down smooth though.

O I would by Shipyard pumpkin ale for the seasonal pumpkins it is much better. (348 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -19.1%

12oz bottle poured into a clear plastic cup. No date.

Appearance - Lots of large visible sediment/debris at the bottom of the bottle. Pours large offwhite head with tons of stick and good retention.

Smell - Pumpkin and candle wax. They should have called thsi the Jack-o-Lantern.

Taste - Not getting pumpkin. Just candle wax. Perhaps because i didn't follow the label's instructions for properly blending the spices. Thin and watery.

Mouthfeel - Thin. Watery. I see a pattern.

Overall Drinkability - My least favorite Shock Top variety. (541 characters)

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat from Anheuser-Busch