Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.

(Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat Alström Bros
MikeIN

Pillowburn

09-19-2012 20:09:00 | More by Pillowburn
circus_cat

2.68/5  rDev -12.1%

I hate drinking macrobrews almost as much as I hate reviewing them...especially the macrobrews that pretend to be craft beers...but someone left this gem in my fridge after a little get-together last weekend. So here goes.

A: I wish BA would put appearance on a lower scale or something. I have to give this a decent score on appearance which will inflate it beyond what it should be, final score-wise. Oh well. It's a decent looking pumpkin beer. Deep amber with small, soapy head, leaving no lacing.

S: Hmm. Strange. I get banana up front (maybe because it's a wheat..maybe). I also get fake pumpkin flavoring, cloves, and other Thanksgiving spices.

T: You get the fake pumpkin and spices again on the front end, but after that it's pretty much that taste you get after playing drinking games with Natural [insert ice, light, etc] in college.

M: A little too carbonated and light bodied.

09-18-2012 17:02:30 | More by circus_cat

09-17-2012 00:53:38 | More by rypkr
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev +14.1%

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
5.23% ABV, 12 181 on neck label.

A - In classic wheat style, this pours relatively hazy, clouding the deep amber-orange beer which is topped by a moderately maintained off-white foam. A thin skim of bubbles remains below some patchy lacing.

S - Pumpkin puree rests gently behind the plethora of spice throughout the aroma. All the usual suspects are here; clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice; any resemblance to the original Shock Top has been avoided - this smells like pure pumpkin ale here. There are no trace notes of Belgian influence with minimal wheat, leaving a grainy pale malt base.

T - Soft wheat is barely noticeable around the rough edges of grainy pale malt. Abounding spice is prevalent through the duration of this seasonal while pumpkin is a bit more low-key. Some mildly sweet caramel malt accents add a nice touch of authenticity in the end, keeping it from an adjunct-like brew.

M - Light-bodied, there's just enough malt in here to support the spice and pumpkin profile which works well with the higher carbonation Shock Top drinkers are used to. Wheat in the brew aids in making the feel smoother but, Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat thins out on the finish leaving little spice or anything to remember it by other than a touch of dryness.

O - This pumpkin is surprisingly better than anticipated, especially with the underwhelming track record of Shock Top seasonals, but this pumpkin wheat is moderately flavorful, balanced, and drinkable; everything one might expect while maintaining a profile that wont offend their customer base. A good training wheel pumpkin for example; however, it certainly won't satisfy the desires of anyone really craving a rich pumpkin brew.

09-16-2012 22:46:54 | More by BeerFMAndy

09-15-2012 23:02:11 | More by mellonsm
rolltide8425

09-15-2012 22:38:20 | More by rolltide8425
ralph426

A growler from The House Of 1000 Beers. I wanted a pumpkin and I was too cheap to go for the good stuff.

Appearance is fine, a decent 1/4 inch head followed by moderate lacing.

Smell is promising, but weak. I don't notice as much spice as I expect.

Taste is a little weak. There 's just enough pumpkin ale type flavor to assure me that I'm not drinking a Budweiser.

All in all, I could probably drink quite a few of these in a session.

09-15-2012 20:37:03 | More by ralph426
cunninsa

09-15-2012 18:36:21 | More by cunninsa
roryw

Kentucky

3.13/5  rDev +2.6%

This is a decent pumpkin beer, although I've yet to have an awful pumpkin beer in the last few years so maybe my bearings aren't right. It's cheap at my local Kroger so I thought it was worth trying and I'm glad I did.

A - 4.5 - Really impressed with the appearance. Nice creamy looking head, lingers for a bit. Nice orange hue which is what I would expect from this. Slight lacing on the glass.

S - 2.5 - Nothing to write home about here. Smells like an average shock top (go figure). No pumpkin or spices in the smell for me at all...

T - 3.0 - Not a whole lot of spice or pumpkin. I'm having to really focus on what I'm drinking to get either of those flavors to come through. It's more of an afterthought here which is weird. It tastes like a decently sweet wheat beer, with pumpkin spice hints in the background. Not really what I was wanting. I was hoping it would be similar to Jack's Pumpkin Spice, which I really enjoyed. I still like this beer though, much more than the similarly priced blue moon pumpkin ale which is also easy to find.

M - Average, light mouthfeel.

O - It's very drinkable, but not a beer I would seek out when wanting a really enjoyable pumpkin beer. For me this is a run of the mill wheat beer with slight pumpkin hints. I really wanted the pumpkin and especially the spice to hit my mouth a lot harder. I'll most likely buy it again though because it's cheap, easy to find and a pretty easy drink to enjoy with some friends or with a meal. There are much beer pumpkin beers out there, but this isn't bad.

09-15-2012 05:39:33 | More by roryw