Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.

(Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +47.5%

rypkr, Sep 17, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +14.1%

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
5.23% ABV, 12 181 on neck label.

A - In classic wheat style, this pours relatively hazy, clouding the deep amber-orange beer which is topped by a moderately maintained off-white foam. A thin skim of bubbles remains below some patchy lacing.

S - Pumpkin puree rests gently behind the plethora of spice throughout the aroma. All the usual suspects are here; clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice; any resemblance to the original Shock Top has been avoided - this smells like pure pumpkin ale here. There are no trace notes of Belgian influence with minimal wheat, leaving a grainy pale malt base.

T - Soft wheat is barely noticeable around the rough edges of grainy pale malt. Abounding spice is prevalent through the duration of this seasonal while pumpkin is a bit more low-key. Some mildly sweet caramel malt accents add a nice touch of authenticity in the end, keeping it from an adjunct-like brew.

M - Light-bodied, there's just enough malt in here to support the spice and pumpkin profile which works well with the higher carbonation Shock Top drinkers are used to. Wheat in the brew aids in making the feel smoother but, Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat thins out on the finish leaving little spice or anything to remember it by other than a touch of dryness.

O - This pumpkin is surprisingly better than anticipated, especially with the underwhelming track record of Shock Top seasonals, but this pumpkin wheat is moderately flavorful, balanced, and drinkable; everything one might expect while maintaining a profile that wont offend their customer base. A good training wheel pumpkin for example; however, it certainly won't satisfy the desires of anyone really craving a rich pumpkin brew.

BeerFMAndy, Sep 16, 2012

Travix1516, Sep 16, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +23%

neckwrestler, Sep 16, 2012

mellonsm, Sep 16, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

rolltide8425, Sep 15, 2012

A growler from The House Of 1000 Beers. I wanted a pumpkin and I was too cheap to go for the good stuff.

Appearance is fine, a decent 1/4 inch head followed by moderate lacing.

Smell is promising, but weak. I don't notice as much spice as I expect.

Taste is a little weak. There 's just enough pumpkin ale type flavor to assure me that I'm not drinking a Budweiser.

All in all, I could probably drink quite a few of these in a session.

ralph426, Sep 15, 2012

cunninsa, Sep 15, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a decent pumpkin beer, although I've yet to have an awful pumpkin beer in the last few years so maybe my bearings aren't right. It's cheap at my local Kroger so I thought it was worth trying and I'm glad I did.

A - 4.5 - Really impressed with the appearance. Nice creamy looking head, lingers for a bit. Nice orange hue which is what I would expect from this. Slight lacing on the glass.

S - 2.5 - Nothing to write home about here. Smells like an average shock top (go figure). No pumpkin or spices in the smell for me at all...

T - 3.0 - Not a whole lot of spice or pumpkin. I'm having to really focus on what I'm drinking to get either of those flavors to come through. It's more of an afterthought here which is weird. It tastes like a decently sweet wheat beer, with pumpkin spice hints in the background. Not really what I was wanting. I was hoping it would be similar to Jack's Pumpkin Spice, which I really enjoyed. I still like this beer though, much more than the similarly priced blue moon pumpkin ale which is also easy to find.

M - Average, light mouthfeel.

O - It's very drinkable, but not a beer I would seek out when wanting a really enjoyable pumpkin beer. For me this is a run of the mill wheat beer with slight pumpkin hints. I really wanted the pumpkin and especially the spice to hit my mouth a lot harder. I'll most likely buy it again though because it's cheap, easy to find and a pretty easy drink to enjoy with some friends or with a meal. There are much beer pumpkin beers out there, but this isn't bad.

roryw, Sep 15, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +39.3%

RockinRob925, Sep 12, 2012

AndrewMichael, Sep 12, 2012

tohe9384, Sep 12, 2012

UnoMasBelgian, Sep 12, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A It looks very good when poured 1 to 2 inch head and a copper pumpkin color.

S It has no pumpkin smell to it at all just a light ale smell.

T It taste just like a light ale with no spice or pumpkin taste.

M just average mouthful flaver ale goes down smooth though.

O I would by Shipyard pumpkin ale for the seasonal pumpkins it is much better.

BOSMECH, Sep 11, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: 1 inch head, orange-brown in color, cloudy, medium carbonation

Smell: pumpkin spice

Taste: nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, caramel, a touch of wheat or grain, and pumpkin spice

Mouthfeel: sweet, high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: Better than I expected. A sessionable, wheaty, and solid pumpkin beer. I could have a six on a fall day. Nothing outstanding, and there are better pumpkin beers out there, but nothing to pass up either.

tigg924, Sep 10, 2012