Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

A growler from The House Of 1000 Beers. I wanted a pumpkin and I was too cheap to go for the good stuff.

Appearance is fine, a decent 1/4 inch head followed by moderate lacing.

Smell is promising, but weak. I don't notice as much spice as I expect.

Taste is a little weak. There 's just enough pumpkin ale type flavor to assure me that I'm not drinking a Budweiser.

All in all, I could probably drink quite a few of these in a session.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

3.12/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a decent pumpkin beer, although I've yet to have an awful pumpkin beer in the last few years so maybe my bearings aren't right. It's cheap at my local Kroger so I thought it was worth trying and I'm glad I did.

A - 4.5 - Really impressed with the appearance. Nice creamy looking head, lingers for a bit. Nice orange hue which is what I would expect from this. Slight lacing on the glass.

S - 2.5 - Nothing to write home about here. Smells like an average shock top (go figure). No pumpkin or spices in the smell for me at all...

T - 3.0 - Not a whole lot of spice or pumpkin. I'm having to really focus on what I'm drinking to get either of those flavors to come through. It's more of an afterthought here which is weird. It tastes like a decently sweet wheat beer, with pumpkin spice hints in the background. Not really what I was wanting. I was hoping it would be similar to Jack's Pumpkin Spice, which I really enjoyed. I still like this beer though, much more than the similarly priced blue moon pumpkin ale which is also easy to find.

M - Average, light mouthfeel.

O - It's very drinkable, but not a beer I would seek out when wanting a really enjoyable pumpkin beer. For me this is a run of the mill wheat beer with slight pumpkin hints. I really wanted the pumpkin and especially the spice to hit my mouth a lot harder. I'll most likely buy it again though because it's cheap, easy to find and a pretty easy drink to enjoy with some friends or with a meal. There are much beer pumpkin beers out there, but this isn't bad.

4.25/5  rDev +39.3%

2.59/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A It looks very good when poured 1 to 2 inch head and a copper pumpkin color.

S It has no pumpkin smell to it at all just a light ale smell.

T It taste just like a light ale with no spice or pumpkin taste.

M just average mouthful flaver ale goes down smooth though.

O I would by Shipyard pumpkin ale for the seasonal pumpkins it is much better.

3.63/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: 1 inch head, orange-brown in color, cloudy, medium carbonation

Smell: pumpkin spice

Taste: nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, caramel, a touch of wheat or grain, and pumpkin spice

Mouthfeel: sweet, high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: Better than I expected. A sessionable, wheaty, and solid pumpkin beer. I could have a six on a fall day. Nothing outstanding, and there are better pumpkin beers out there, but nothing to pass up either.

1.5/5  rDev -50.8%

2.5/5  rDev -18%

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

2.5/5  rDev -18%

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

2.6/5  rDev -14.8%

Why do people buy this crap?

The nose ain't bad. Some genuine pumpkin scents.

The palate is all wrong though. Light, grainy and sort of crisp but in an awkward way. Some spices, not a ton.

The finish is the worst part. It is long, but the taste is bad, so ya just sit there wishing the flavor would go away. It has a very bad light beer aftertaste. Boo.

2.25/5  rDev -26.2%

2.41/5  rDev -21%

A-pours a clearly over carbonated orangey haze with a thin 1 finger translucent head, that leaves quickly and leaves little to no lace
S- very weak nose, slight slight pumpkin and all spice but you have to look for it.
T- carbonation, tand, slight pumpkin flavor, but again has to be found
M- way too carbonated, tingly, tangy
O-....