Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob (Original Lager) Alström Bros

Michelob is One of the Best Anheuser Busch Beers. This brew pours out a rich amber color with a nice white head. The taste is bold with flavor and malts. The smell is rich with grains and malts. Michelob is brewed with finest grains and malts. This brew is full of flavor, there is nothing over powering in this brew. Michelob has a nice balance to it. It dose not get any better than original Michelob. I would Take this over any other beer out there on the market. Michelob is a Great Beer for the Price. Overall I'm giving this brew a solid 5 out of 5. (557 characters)

Michelob is one of my favorite beers. It is very smooth and at the same time crisp and bold enough to make for some good drinking. They explain on the label about the quality malt and imported hops. I like the bottles better than your standard longneck, but it seems like they don't hold as much, haha. Every time I pick it up it's nearly empty. (345 characters)

Michelob original Lager
It's the full body American Pale Ale that set the bar and standard for all American domestic beers. It provides a beer that from the gold clear look to the beautiful aroma and refreshing taste makes Michelob the Lager to emulate. (253 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +54.5%

12 pack from the store, i havent drank it in a long time, this beer is probably the best domestic i have ever had. Really smooth taste almost sweet and after taste was very pleasant. pours a golden stream with a thick head. A very bubbly taste. I normally like a darker, a little more bolder taste, but hey, its only american beer, but not bad at all. I will buy this again. (374 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +50%

Michelob is my favorite beer when I don't have any of my home brewed beer available or when I'm trying to conserve my own beer.
One of the biggest reasons I like Michelob is that I have never had one that tasted bad (outdated) and it is always reasonably priced.
When I have purchased other quality beers that have been put "on sale" I'm usually disappointed in the taste and quality, not so with Michelob.
Having a "born on" date is also a plus because you can shop for the freshest beer and if the store has not been carefull, you can tell if it's too old. (561 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +49%

I think it is a really easy drinking beer that goes great with just lounging around and actually wanting more than just one, with this brew you can. Anyway I like to call it a glorified Budweiser because same taste with a vamp. The appearance is typical of this type of lager, smell was nice lot sharper than expected taste blew me away because I like Budweiser as a daily but this thing is Bud with more flavor surely note a hint of hops that is not there with my Budweiser, Turn one up very smooth mouthfeel and easy to drink! (528 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +48.3%

I don't know what it is with beer reviewers that keep saying "corn" this, and "corn" that. What is with the corn? This is a 2 row all malt beer. You may not care for it, but don't blame everything on corn!
There are some beers that benefit from the addition of some corn. Hey, I had a bottle of sorghum beer the other day and found it pretty good. I like beer, I don't like snobs who think that just because a beer tastes this way or that that it is somehow skunk water. (470 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +48.3%

I had to buy this once I saw the lava lamp bottle was back!

I paid $8.99 for a 12pack at the supermarket, what the heck... if I didn't drink it, my wife would.

I'm basing my review on the beer style...
Macro Brewery / Lager Beer

Anyway, on to the new/old, All Malt, Michelob Lager...

I did this beer the honor of pouring it in to a pint glass (normally I would drink a beer of this style "straight out da bottle"). It was a golden color, lots of carbination, little head and some lacing.

it smelled like beer.

it tasted pretty darn good compared to it's Macro peers.

It felt good in the mouth, kind of fizzy but finished clean.

I could drink lots of this beer when so inspired to do so.

Example: I could bring a case of this over to my bro-in-law's house, knock it off with him during a Yankee game and feel no pain in the morning. (862 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +46.9%

Wow my first beer review ever! This one is a roast-y/dry brew in my opinion. The almost watery yet frothy mouthfeel gives me something akin to Guinness, while the overall body has an uplifting cirtus feel. Bready, zesty and full Michelob lager, while being a full flavored lager, is just missing that...something. Mellow and likeable, this might even make a decent session beer. Cheers!
P.s You Sam Adams guys will LOVE this one! (429 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +46.6%

I took a trip to Las Vegas recently and one of the Casinos on the strip, Casino Royal had these for 1.00. Haven't had a Michelob for years and to my surprise it had a nice smooth malty taste, much fuller than I expected with just the right amount of hops. I was in complete disbelief that a domestic beer could taste this good. I generally have to pay 9.99-10.99 a six pack for the really tasty stuff but this is a nice brew to pack your fridge with if you like to pound down a six pack or two during a football game with the boys. Give it a try. (546 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +46.6%

Well, this is obvioulsy not an amazing beer, and my opinion might be a little biased, but I'm giving a high rate because I think this beer is an awesome choice if you're just looking for a beer to drink while watching sports, a movie, or even to drink with some friend.

Maybe it's not the most common choice for that, but it's absolutely my favourite as it's good enough for me to feel that I am not wasting or drinking garbage, and its price is still good enough for a beer to buy often. (490 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I do not think I have had this brew since I pounded a few in the parking lot before a Steve Miller concert in the 80s.

Appearance: Clear gold brew with a thick white head. Good carbonation flow.

Smell: Clean aroma. Has solid hints of malt and hops.

Taste: Good malt flavor with a perfect touch of hops for the style. Finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. This is a satisfying lager, slightly waxy with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkablity: This brew seems to taste better that I remember. I am impressed with the quality. It has excellent flavor and body. A classic. (591 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +40%

This beer is a beautiful straw-colored brew with constant carbonation bubbles supporting the delicate, brilliant white, fluffy head. Perfectly clear and exactly what you want for this style. Just beautiful.

The nose is great. This has so much more aroma complexity than the typical American Lager. Spicy, malty. You get a good whiff of European hops.

Full-flavored malty brew, but with more hoppiness than other American Lagers. The hops give it a spicy kick. Very interesting. No off-flavors.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonated. Nothing outstanding, but nothing to complain about.

This brew is drinkable to the max and quite satisfying at the same time. Overall I really like this one. Going back to an all-malt recipe was a smart move; it sure payed off big time. Clearly a notch above most. Recommended! (809 characters)

Well, by the time I drank that beer, I was too far from the Beer fan I am now. It was very nice, in th emiddle of being a dark lager, but it was not annoying, after all. That is what counts from a macro lager for me. NOt refreshing at all, but you can have a good time with it, no aditives being bad in it. (306 characters)

Appearance:
Light gold color, clear. Lots of bubble rising up. Nice frothy head, leaves a very nice lacing behind.

Aroma:
Barley malts, some spicy hops, crisp.

Taste:
Barley malts up front, slightly sweet and toasted, there some hint of hay. Hop bitterness is mild towards the finish, spicy-citrus. Body is light-medium, crisp, slight dry aftertaste, carbonation is soft. (373 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured into a glass mug. Pours pale golden with a tall, frothy white head. Plenty of bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom of the glass. Lacing is not left on the glass as the head dissipates. Only a small amount of lacing is left on the surface fo the beer. Some lacing is left on the side of the glass during consumption. There are aromas of hops and pale malts. It smells bready, sweet, and clean. The taste follows the nose. There's a malty sweetness as well as some hops on the back end. It's clean tasting and bready. The body is light with adequate carbonation. The finish is crisp and dry. The drinkability is high. Overall, this is an excellent lager. Give AB credit where credit is due for making this one. (721 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +35.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into schooner glass.

Appearance: pours a thick, frothy white head the quickly recedes with little to no lacing. Color is clear light golden with moderate streaming carbonation.

Aroma: bready malts, a definite hop presence.

Mouthfeel: light, watery, crisp with a dry refreshing finish.

Flavor: lightly toasted barley, caramel, nicely balanced with pleasant grassy/herbal hop finish.

Overall: a delicious beer. By far the best AB product I have tried. (479 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is a solid lager. I bought a 12 at total wines they have a great assortment of beers as well. I really like the flavor not over powering but very tasty. A slight nutty taste for me but I really enjoy that. I let mine chill for 24 hours before drinking very nice. This is a good beer for a Saturday at the house, will drink again. (340 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +32.8%

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten better reviews, it's a really solid beer. Good malt, good hops, good bitterness. I'd imagine that this is what beer in the United States tasted like at the turn of the last century. Now, admittedly, it is a little out of balance for my taste, but what do I know. I just think the kind of raspy, spicy hops are a bit much. I'd prefer them to be a bit more floral, but that's just me. And I can't fault it anywhere, really. It looks great, nice and clear and golden; and the frothy bright white head holds pretty well and leaves some decent lacing on the glass. I get some nice malt and hops out of the nose, and the same follow in the flavor. It's a Munich-style helles, and a pretty good one at that. I'll agree that it's maybe a bit fuller than some of the softer, sweeter versions out there now, but that doesn't mean that that's the style. If that was the case, who knows what Oktoberfests would taste like in a few years, they seemed to get a little bit more watered down every year. Good beer. I certainly like it a whole hell of a lot better than Yuengling Traditional Lager. Cheers! (1,122 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +31.7%

Pours golden yellow not much head, despite fizzy body!Tastes malty, slightly sweet, a barest touch of hops perhaps, but no corn or rice flavours. It does not seem to be as I remember it 30 years ago, it may have been more bitter then. Overall nice for a mass market macro! (272 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +31%

Bought a 6-pack of this @ Mobil- On the Run in Ellisville, MO. Enjoyed all but one on another night and now reviewing this last one... Poured into my Schlafly Pint Glass and reviewed before dinner. Has a Bottle On Date of 1 10 10.

Appearance- Pours Golden Yellow color with 2 fingers of White semi-frothy head. Leaves minimal lace and the head retention went very fast which sucked...

Smell- Smelling a ton of grains and mild citrus hops. There may be some floral notes as well.

Taste- Very mild pale lager and has a great amount of malt. Has a somewhat sweet finish also.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, with a TON of carbonation. Leaves nothing special on the palate but enjoyable and smooth.

Overall- Very refreshing and could be one of my favorite Michelob products. I have never seen this Lager available and especially at a gas station?!?! Very cool! Drinkability was exceeded my expectations as well. (910 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +30%

new hourglass bottle (all malt)

A- golden, fizzy, 1 finger white, surprisingly little retent, crystal clear

S- clean, malts, doughy

T- doughy malt flavor, fairly balanced (though bit in sweet side), sweet bread after, herbal, mellow

M- light bodied, smooth, nice carbonation level

D- simple and tasty sessionable lager, not a brew i would ever crave, but this is where i now point people who are trying to break into better beer. wish it was little less sweet though (481 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +29.7%

Michelob has a thick, white head and a very clear, straw appearance. Carbonation is high. The aroma is quite faint, but a trace beer smell can be detected. A good barley-to-hops balance characterizes the taste, and there is a relatively higher hop bitterness than other regular beers, but no particular flavors shine through. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Michelob finishes crisp, clean, and refreshing. Although this is a good, solid beer, it does not quite justify its elevated price.

RJT (498 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +29.7%

7/3/09, tasted @ Sala Thai bar. bottle>wheat glass.

Overall I was impressed for this brew as an "All Malt" offering for this style of American Pale Lager. I would give it a 4.0 on drinkability since it's pretty accesible and easy on the wallet. Better than most American Adjunct brews.

Appearance is a 4.0 as a clear golden straw color, okay 1 finger head & retention, hints of mild lace.
Smell is a 3.0 with a hint of corn on subtle malt aroma.
Taste is a 4.0 with a light malt base, followed with subtle sweetness on finish, a hint of sweet corn like presence.
MF is a 4.0, clean & crsip, medium body with medium+ carbonation.
D is a 4.0, as noted above. Reminds me a of a full malt Miller High Life, if you like the Champagne of beers, you should try this one... (770 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +29%

Appearance (3.25) : pours a 2 finger head that quickly recedes to a 1 finger height and then a ring. Draught it is not. Body is transparent gold straw, champagne-like in appearance.

Aroma (3.75) : A sweet aroma, with sweet grains, malt, corn, barley, and a little hop. Just a lot of fresh, pleasant sweetness.

Taste (3.75) : This beer tastes like a much more prestigious beer. This is not a typical B/M/C beer. The hop comes out right away, enveloped by a subtle malty sweetness that compliments the hop nicely. Dare I say there's a pinch too much hop? Just barely. Impressive. A hoppy, dry finish with some dark and murky rye notes.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : creamy, a subtle carbonation - with a dry, musky finish.

Overall (3.74) : I was really impressed here. I wish I would have bought more. I like it a lot and can't wait to try their "light" offering. Much better than youd expect. Almost German-esque. (907 characters)

Michelob (Original Lager) from Anheuser-Busch