Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob (Original Lager) Alström Bros

First had: ?

Better than Bud, I suppose. And that ain't saying much. Pours a pale straw color, very carbonated, with a thin head of quickly dissipating bubbles. Light aroma of pale malts, skunk, and old corn. More of the same in the taste; skunky with rotten hay and stale grains, leaving an acrid aftertaste. To be avoided. (325 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -64.5%

Pale, dull yellow
The smell is an atrocity. Cotton candy, nail polish, masking tape, weeds, dried pet food...as it warms up a strawberry shortcake perfume emerges to complicate things.
The taste is of creamed metal. Dusty-textured (I presume from the "all imported hops") and absolutely neutral in flavor. Beer for neurotic wannabees who hate and fear life.

"born" on June 23, 2003 (386 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -55.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Presentation: 12oz brown glass custom bottle, black/red on gold label

Appearance: yellow color, medium head, no lacing

Smell: minor mix of malt and hops

Taste: thin body, very watery mouth feel, some generic sweetness and nothing else

Notes: awful brew,it is better to drink spring water (299 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -54.1%

Bought this on special for $2.50 at the Silver Slipper Saloon. I can honestly say I've never tried Michelob before now...even in my college years. When the bartender handed me the bottle I noticed "All Imported Hops" written across the top. Hmmm..interesting I thought. Once I sat down and took my first swig I was utterly unimpressed. If there are indeed imported hops in this beer I sure as hell cannot taste them. Maybe they are imported from somewhere where the word "hops" references some sort of shitty cereal grain. I dunno. This had a slightly better flavor than the majority of the macro brews....but I would not drink this by choice ever again. The blatant marketing scam on the bottle is ridiculous and it pisses me off. Steer clear unless you enjoy crappy beer. (773 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -50%

A - Thin, watery yellow brew with a flimsy head.

S - I can appreciate more hops than most macros have in the aroma department, but there is an overriding chlorine note that ruins it for me. Smells like a Holiday Inn indoor pool.

T - Crisp hop flavor attempts to approximate a German pils, but there are some nasty chemical flavors that are pretty horrible.

M - Crisp, clean, highly carbonated, and very watery.

D - Not so good. (431 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale, fizzy yellow, very bubbly. The carbonation races to the top so fast, I'd almost mistake it for chamagne.

The aroma is sweet and adjuncty.

A really crappy taste at first sip. Like club soda and sweet corn. A bready flavor overtakes the aftertaste. A REALLY shitty taste.

The mouthfeel is light feeling, fizzy, and crisp.

Easy to drink a lot of these beers. . . but I'm hoping that I never have to. (415 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -45.5%

I remember back when I was young and stupid (at least over the years one of those has changed), I thought Michelob was *the* brew. It was marketed as the
top of the A-B line, so I would drink it. Actually my father drank it so I would have it as well. In college I didn't spend the extra money on Mich, but we won't go there, its too painful to recall.

Anyway, appearance is golden almost clear in good lighting, I realize most lagers are light in color, but c'mon. Smell and taste are usually non-discernable, mainly because all A-B products are served ice-cold. The ads say its more refreshing cold, but its probably to mask the fact theat there is not really much in the way of flavor. Mouthfeel something like recently melted ice, drinkability: not. I realize we are not supposed to slam beers, but there are so many good tasting/looking/feeling lagers and pilsners out there that we should be honest, and honestly this beer is just not that good. I guess if I were to taste test all
Americal pilsner/lager types I might raise the score as a beer of this type, but
I tend to rate all styles together, so thus the low score. (1,136 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A friend of mine gave me a bottle of this to try (wouldn't buy it on my own), she seems to like it a fair bit, but also drinks it from the bottles. I however can smell a rat the moment I pop off the bottle cap. Pale clear straw colour, leaning more towards the anemic end of the spectrum. Small ring after head quickly fades. Aroma is a bit caustic, grainy but not much else. Flavour rips a grainy strip across the tongue, leaving an unwelcome aftertaste in its wake. Corn adjuncts abound. Pehaps I should have stuck it in the freezer for half an hour and drank it straight out of the bottle. Nope, I wouldn't even accept this for free next time. (646 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -43.8%

12 oz bottle. Born on Date 1/25/05. I bought this because I was short on cash, and it was on sale.
Pours clear golden, with a fizzy eggshell white head that lasted about 3 seconds. No lacing.
Lots of artificial carbonation.
Smells of grain and skunk.
Palate is thin and watery, and flavor is, is, well not there. Sugary corn syrup and cereal grain.
Finish was sticky sweet and grainy.
Every once in a while you have to drink swill to really appreciate the good stuff, and this is definitely swill.
But it is what it is, like a $5 bottle of wine, you get what pay for, and at $4.99 for a 6 pack I got what I paid for. Good for a Macro, but I'd rather be drinking something else. (686 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -43.1%

i hadn't had a macro in years, and nothing better was available, so i thought i'd give it a shot. big mistake. it looked nice, mid golden with lots of bubbles and a whitish head. it's all downhill from there, though. almost no aroma, save a barely detectable floral scent that i can only assume was the ghost of some dead hops trying to make contact with me. the beer had literally next to no flavor whatsoever. it was carbonated water dyed yellow with the barest hint of eastern european hops. no finish. i'll never have another. save your money.

s.d. (555 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -43.1%

Michelob come sin a cool shaped bottle to help mask what's inside. The yellow carbonated liquid has a dismal white head, gone in seconds. The nose and taste are both harshly grainy. Body is light and passes over the palate with difficulty. Not a pleasant drinking experience for me. (282 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -41.7%

I was forced to buy this since it came in a 12-pack with some others that are only available in this "special" 12-pack. I know, the pains of being a bottle collector. What is the big deal about imported hops (splashed on the label), there wasn't many and we have a ton of good ones in this country. Good carbonation and head, leaves a lace and not much else. Very light bodied, almost watery not much taste at all I am glad there are only two of these. The ABV is 5.0%. (469 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -37.9%

ah, michelob. it's a shame that on a rare occasion i would find myself making this purchase solely for the lava lamp shaped bottles (kinda like foster's for the big-ass oil can...low on cash, at least get something fun). sadly, where have ye gone? michelob out of a normal bottle just makes the nastiness even more apparent. pours the standard a-b piss yellow with a lovely watery taste that hints of rice and corn (perhaps?). nothing unexpected here. overall, another very boring brew from a very boring brewery. (513 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -36.9%

Today is a fine day for Macro Smackdown VI. This will be yet another slugfest between Anheuser-Busch (Michelob) and Miller (Red Dog). This beer comes in the fancy new bottle-shaped can, while its competitor will be disgorged from the standard aluminum can; and a great looking, boldly colored can it is. Points right off the bat to Red Dog for the superior container, although it won't be reflected in the final score. And there's the opening bell...

Bright yellow-gold, accent on yellow. While Michelob is more pale than Red Dog, it isn't a bad hue given the style. The cap is brilliant white, displays pearl-like bubbles on its upper surface and is acceptably persistent. It looks a hell of a lot better than its competitor's head, that's for sure. There's no lace other than a stunted collar that follows the beer down the glass.

The nose, while semi-nasty, is tolerable. It smells like husky grain with a mild whiff of flowery hops. Thankfully, it isn't very powerful. Another win for Michelob.

This isn't good beer. The graininess is rampant and is too harsh and unrefined to score any points with me. I can't detect even a hint of hops, which makes me wonder if I smelled them. Michelob falls on the dry side of the sweet-dry continuum (as do quite a few A-B beers), which hurts it in my eyes.

The mouthfeel is light, lighter, (not quite) lightest. There are no differences between the two beers other than the fact that this one is mildly carbonated and Red Dog is slightly more vigorously carbonated. I prefer more carbonation in this particular case, but not enough for the scores to be different.

Michelob strikes me as lousy beer, even for a macro lager. I remember drinking this stuff in my late teens (okay, mid-teens) when I thought it was a special treat, a step or two above the usual. Well it isn't. In fact, I can't even pick it over a lesser known macro with a big red bulldog on the can. I'm beginning to realize that I prefer Miller products over A-B products. However, it's only in a 'lesser of two evils' kind of way. (2,045 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -32.4%

The packaging attracted me, the same way the US Army brochures convinced me to enlist. But the Army is a better deal.

While I believe AB's word that this is all-malt and features noble hops, the taste, slippery-acrid mouthfeel reveal only a maltier macro experience.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that brewing a decent lager or pilsner is determined by the water.

Germans and Czechs build the best lagers. Their water is limestone. So, maybe Pennsylvania or the Great Lakes region could craft a great pilsner, and Prima is a good drink, but not subtle enough to match the masters of the style. (606 characters)

33CL bottle poured into pilsner glass.

A - Pale golden body, non existent head, really just a crown, no lacing.

S - Grains, faint malts, a syrupy sweetness.

T - Sweet maltiness turns into a grainy grassy flavour in the finish, which is all to quick and not refreshing, syrupy in the aftertaste.

M - Thin watery body, medium carbonation

D - Easy to drink but uninteresting and with the syrupy finish, this makes for a bland unrefreshing lager. Pass! (453 characters)

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again. (252 characters)

Brown 12 oz twisty with a born on date of 04NOV04. Notes “All imported hops”. You know, we grow hops here….
Aroma: First whiff had me concerned. Got some strong cardboard smells, but that seemed to clear off. Now there is just a definite adjunct smell, something like corn.
Appearance: Clear close to the point of invisibility. I can read print through the glass (even though it’s backwards). A white head turned into a thin collar in just seconds.
Flavor: Yeasty finish after, um, taste? Just not much to note. Minor sweetness and some more adjunct flavors, corn or rice I guess. Has a harsh end note, like yeast gone bad.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, fizzy, fairly dry.
Overall Impression: Ugh. Macrobrew. There just isn’t any going back to drinking this stuff. Positive notes, dry (crisp?), and although I don’t find it so, I could see others thinking it easy to drink and refreshing. I’m not going to finish this one however. (936 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -30.3%

I heard through the grape-vine that they had managed to polish a turd on this one. I wasn't expecting something impossible from Bud, don't get me wrong. All I was expecting was something that could go toe-to-toe with the European mega-imports like Carlsburg, Grolsch, Heinekin, and such.

Wow. This guy does not compete. The yeast that they use, that must be it. There is something routinely offensive about these beers, and I'm pretty sure that is it. Beers like Tona and Heinekin have a fruit-loop like taste to them and Grolsch has a tart finish, So, I'm not necessarily opposed to having little 'extras' in my clean tasting lager . . . but this beer doesn't suit me.

Watery and off.

That is how I feel about it. Man, don't get me wrong, this is better than Bud Light (though it is roughly on par with Bud) but this isn't an impressive beer outside of that rough comparison. (885 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -30.3%

Not terrible, but not buying it again.

Appearance is really underwhelming. No head. Lots of carbonation. It's not see through, but it's pretty close. Orangish-yellow.

Smell? What smell? Nonexistent, basically. I guess I'll give it a two because at least it wasn't foul.

Taste is totally ordinary. Not repulsive, but watery, basically tasteless. Tastes, feels, and goes down like water. No aftertaste, so I spose you could have several if you wanted a beer with no flavor. (474 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -29.7%

This beer pours golden and clear with very little aroma at all, maybe a hint of its claim of all imported hops. The taste is lacking everything that makes a beer good. The mouthfeel is similar to drinking a gingerale( you would be better off drinking one!). The beer is easy to drink but I wouldn't bother. (306 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -29.3%

Yellow fizzy in appearance white thin head quickly dissipates into nothing not much of anything going on here just "American" beer with as the label reads "All Imported Hops". Aromatics well has some detectable hops going on here just a touch with the corn and rice adjuncts also coming through with sweetness overall unoffensive to passive for me. Flavor consists of a sharp sweet adjunct ridden tone with the hop bitterness coming in to create a mediocre American light lager that should be the flagship beer of Anheuser Busch when compared to Budweiser. Not bad for AB but let's just say in the realm of lagers this is on the bottom of the pile but it's available everywhere and more drinkable then most macro products. Mouthfeel is thin and light bodied no texture extreme carbonation like a soda. Drinkability give me something worth my time glad I didn't purchase this one. (879 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -29%

I tried the new bottle style.There are noble hops in this recipe.The reason why I tried this beer is because it was free.

Very clear golden body.With a two finger head.Sparse carbonation.
The head fell fast.

Bready malt and some corn smell.Same taste as the smell.

Verythin mouthful and sorda no taste at all.Very bland.

Goes down very easy.Apeals to the masses but not to me.Bad beer.

I cant see myself drinking this beer again since I drink micros now.It was very bland and boring. (499 characters)

Last, sample 9/11/00
The beer after its extraction from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass an unclouded gold with a moderate sized frothy white head and the resultant lace a thin curtain to obscure the glass. Nose is malt dominated, slightly sweet, crisp and clean with the start slightly sweet, the malt profile fair and the top light. Finish is stinging in its acidity, the hops standard for the style, a drinkable beer and I must add of all the macros this is my favorite. (485 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -29%

I have to say, I haven't had this one in a while. And it's a major disappointment. I have memories of this beer being one of America's better cheap beers. Not anymore.

I'd say Rolling Rock or Miller MGD are a better choice if you want to buy cheap beer. Not that Michelob is that cheap. I just paid almost $ 7 for a six, in Jan 2012. I think that's high when you consider you can buy Sam Adams for about $ 2 more.

I poured it into a wide neck glass, (pilsner). The head was momentary and then none existant. The color is a deep yellow, toward a gold. And considering it's competition, I'd say the color is the most impressive aspect of this beer.

Smell is nearly non-existant. And of what smell there is, it's bizarre. Kind of like shoe polish.

Taste, the same, poor to horrible.

Mouthfeel, blazay!!!

Avoid this beer until the brewers pull their collective heads out of their rears. (898 characters)

Michelob (Original Lager) from Anheuser-Busch