2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.

(Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Ratings: 805 | Reviews: 341 | Show All Ratings:
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.6/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma grain, light malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a light malt sweetness that dominates, followed by some grain and lager yeast breadiness. The hops presence is very mild and there isn’t much balance. The after-taste is likewise sweet.

M: A little smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A bit of flavor to it, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, standard representation of style, it’s got a little more substance than your typical A-B product but it’s still another fizzy yellow beer.

06-09-2011 01:30:28 | More by TheManiacalOne
woodychandler

3.7/5  rDev +38.6%

To mis-quote a C/S friend of mine, April, I am super-duper glad to have found this in a CAN! I have some early memories of my introduction to beer, one of which was some sips out of my Pops' CAN of Black Label during a union meeting at our house in 1969 or 1970 and then in the late-'70's or early-'80's as a teenager having a Michelob with my uncle, home for the summer from SF. My mother would be displeased with these memories as she thinks I am an inveterate drunk and to know that her husband and brother led me down the primrose path would initiate an anger that I do not feel like experiencing. I just know that both of these memories are pleasant ones for me and I drank a LOT of Michelob while on active duty until Rolling Rock gained national distribution. I always drank bottled Mich. and thought that it was pretty good. I remember really liking Mich. Dark and being disappointed by Mich. Dry. No comment on Mich. Ultra.

CAN we please have a review? Sure. Here goes. My pour created two fingers' worth of foamy, bubbly, fluffy bone-white head with decent retention. The color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was very lager-like, sweet with a slight hoppiness that was a welcome change from the adjunct lagers to which the CANQuest has exposed me. Mouthfeel ws medium with a clean lager sweetness on the tongue. Clean, free of adjuncts, welcome by yours truly. It strikes me that there might have been a real reason that I like this as a younger man. It is actually half-decent. Finish was likewise clean, semi-dry and very refreshing. It may not supplant Stoudt's Gold Lager in my reefer, but it will do in a pinch.

01-10-2010 18:57:39 | More by woodychandler
Kendo

3.08/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Poured from the can into a pilsner glass. Body is clear golden yellow with a 1.5-finger white head. Leaves some lace behind.

S: Faint nose. Slightly floral with a hint of husky grain.

T: Not much going on -- cereal grain followed by herbal hops and a corn-like sweetness. Finishes slightly soapy with lingering sweetness.

M: Light in heft, almost watery-thin. There's a slightly slick, sweet feel to it that lingers. Carbonation feels like it's on the low end.

D: At least it goes down easily. If this were ice cold and I'd just mowed the lawn, I wouldn't object to it. I'd rather have something that's a little crisper and cleaner, but it's not bad.

10-08-2009 02:16:49 | More by Kendo
fizzy

4.33/5  rDev +62.2%

I don't know what it is with beer reviewers that keep saying "corn" this, and "corn" that. What is with the corn? This is a 2 row all malt beer. You may not care for it, but don't blame everything on corn!
There are some beers that benefit from the addition of some corn. Hey, I had a bottle of sorghum beer the other day and found it pretty good. I like beer, I don't like snobs who think that just because a beer tastes this way or that that it is somehow skunk water.

07-22-2009 23:01:16 | More by fizzy
Vengeance526

Louisiana

2.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden color with a small head that actually sticks around longer than expected.

Smell is really just corn but there's nothing off about it so its just kind of a neutral smell that you don't care about either way.

Taste reveals sweet malts and more corn. There actually is a slight bitterness in the finish.

Very light bodied with a lot of carbonation. So anyway, we're sitting by a friend's pool when he opens up an ice chest filled with nothing but Michelob. It was about 98 degrees out, I figured what the hell. On a hot day like that, a cold one of these went down like water just quick and easy. Whatever, it was better than the typical macro, take it for what its worth. I won't be buying these myself but I'm not beyond taking one that's offered to me in a social setting.

07-22-2009 20:44:45 | More by Vengeance526
NeroFiddled

3.88/5  rDev +45.3%

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten better reviews, it's a really solid beer. Good malt, good hops, good bitterness. I'd imagine that this is what beer in the United States tasted like at the turn of the last century. Now, admittedly, it is a little out of balance for my taste, but what do I know. I just think the kind of raspy, spicy hops are a bit much. I'd prefer them to be a bit more floral, but that's just me. And I can't fault it anywhere, really. It looks great, nice and clear and golden; and the frothy bright white head holds pretty well and leaves some decent lacing on the glass. I get some nice malt and hops out of the nose, and the same follow in the flavor. It's a Munich-style helles, and a pretty good one at that. I'll agree that it's maybe a bit fuller than some of the softer, sweeter versions out there now, but that doesn't mean that that's the style. If that was the case, who knows what Oktoberfests would taste like in a few years, they seemed to get a little bit more watered down every year. Good beer. I certainly like it a whole hell of a lot better than Yuengling Traditional Lager. Cheers!

06-11-2009 23:03:32 | More by NeroFiddled
wheelinshirt

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz can into a dimpled mug. Not expecting a lot here. Grabbed it to have something easy to drink with some eggplant parm.

Clear golden straw color, decent looking with a modest head, medium-poor retention, pretty nice lacing.

Smell is grainy, a little hoppy, mostly weak.

Taste is similar, there is some bitterness and hop flavor but it seems watered down. This one is all malt so it is, luckily, without any corny flavors. Not bad.

Mouthfeel is light, not overcarbonated but seems a bit slick. Kind of dry and sticky at the same time, too. hmm.

Drinkability is average. It doesn't push you away or draw you back for another. If you know what to expect, this can be an okay beer.

09-21-2008 21:37:00 | More by wheelinshirt
kinger

2.38/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to my pops for having some of these in the fridge, it's been a while since I've had a Michelob. This one is slightly better than Bud but not by much. Aroma and appearance are the same but this one is smoother and has a cleaner finish. The taste is alright but it's still A-B mass produced lager.

08-06-2008 12:52:04 | More by kinger
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

2.38/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a very light golden color with lots of bubbles. Minimal head, no lacing really. Smells of light malts, nothing really standing out. Taste is also of light malts, a faint hop spiciness, not much really. It is what it is, although better than Bud or Coors, etc. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and watery. Very drinkable if you're not looking for much flavor and going to be out drinking all night long.

01-07-2008 00:35:52 | More by Doomcifer
shirfan

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

Light gold with little lacing, aroma of mild malt, vanilla, oak.

Taste: for a macro lager, not too bad. The lack of adjuncts shines through, and some light caramel and vanilla flavor backs up a malt backbone that's surprisingly rich for the style. Fairly heavy carbonation, only a whisper of leafy hops in the finish, yet clean of any off flavors.

This is really not terrible at all, and has a decent amount of malt flavor. Would be a viable choice when no craft beer is available.

09-09-2007 16:07:59 | More by shirfan
Phatz

2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

As bad a rap as A/B gets I was expecting worse from this beer. It i actually darker color than I expected and flavor is not repulsive.

Appearance: Pours a pale amber clear body with a white head a top. It did actually showcase some decent lacing. Nice.

Smell: Typical BMC grain smell with a hint of pale malt a dash cabbage scented hops, in an otherwise reserved nose.

Taste: Simple and straightforward flavor, as expected but with a pleasant hint of sweet maltyness and a decent smooth body. The malt and the bitter do balance nicely but the bitter barely has a hop flavor. Still, it is all average and pleasant until the aftertaste, which certainly put me back a bit.

Mouthfeel: very limited carbonation but creamy smooth all the same.

Drinkability: If you adjust to the offensive aftertaste or just drink it fast then you don't notice too much appalling character.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

10-15-2006 03:50:06 | More by Phatz
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a light gold with a thin head that immediately disappears to a thin ring.

The smell is of some husky grains with a touch of sweetness.

There's watery nothing in the nose. Hints of thin adjuncts emerge, but with no particular flavors.

The feel is of water with a slight lingering sweetness.

This is so thin that I would have thought it to be a macro light if I didn't know better. It's not completely undrinkable, but is ridiculously thin and almost tasteless.

09-11-2006 02:46:08 | More by jwc215
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.8/5  rDev -32.6%

Today is a fine day for Macro Smackdown VI. This will be yet another slugfest between Anheuser-Busch (Michelob) and Miller (Red Dog). This beer comes in the fancy new bottle-shaped can, while its competitor will be disgorged from the standard aluminum can; and a great looking, boldly colored can it is. Points right off the bat to Red Dog for the superior container, although it won't be reflected in the final score. And there's the opening bell...

Bright yellow-gold, accent on yellow. While Michelob is more pale than Red Dog, it isn't a bad hue given the style. The cap is brilliant white, displays pearl-like bubbles on its upper surface and is acceptably persistent. It looks a hell of a lot better than its competitor's head, that's for sure. There's no lace other than a stunted collar that follows the beer down the glass.

The nose, while semi-nasty, is tolerable. It smells like husky grain with a mild whiff of flowery hops. Thankfully, it isn't very powerful. Another win for Michelob.

This isn't good beer. The graininess is rampant and is too harsh and unrefined to score any points with me. I can't detect even a hint of hops, which makes me wonder if I smelled them. Michelob falls on the dry side of the sweet-dry continuum (as do quite a few A-B beers), which hurts it in my eyes.

The mouthfeel is light, lighter, (not quite) lightest. There are no differences between the two beers other than the fact that this one is mildly carbonated and Red Dog is slightly more vigorously carbonated. I prefer more carbonation in this particular case, but not enough for the scores to be different.

Michelob strikes me as lousy beer, even for a macro lager. I remember drinking this stuff in my late teens (okay, mid-teens) when I thought it was a special treat, a step or two above the usual. Well it isn't. In fact, I can't even pick it over a lesser known macro with a big red bulldog on the can. I'm beginning to realize that I prefer Miller products over A-B products. However, it's only in a 'lesser of two evils' kind of way.

08-27-2005 13:26:47 | More by BuckeyeNation
jwilli7122

2.65/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a dark yellow with a snow-white fiz head. lots of carbonation.

smells like stale piss/aluminum

taste is light, crisp, and nothingness. leaves a pleasant malt/bread taste in mouth.

does not warm well. better straight out of the can than in a glass.
need to drink pretty fast as this is shit once it loses its carbonation.

when cold and straight out of the can, mouthfeel is right for this type of beer. I seem to remember this being better than it tastes right now. who knows.

not worthy of beer drinker's attention. might be good for a kids' drinking game?

12-24-2003 04:26:47 | More by jwilli7122
Boto

Connecticut

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ahhh..another fine selection of beers on the golf course.

The first thing that I noted was the can said that it contained "All Imported Hops". I thought that AB grew most of their own hops in Washington at Elk Mountain (Remember the short-lived brews by that name?). Anyway, it could have used some of those hops. Not very aromatic. The color is a shade darker than the typical macro yellow (almost golden). Big white head. The taste is a malty sweet, with a lighter body. It has the signature Michelob sweet aftertaste that is typical in all of its beers. At least it was cold!

09-16-2003 00:49:00 | More by Boto
SaltofOH

3.65/5  rDev +36.7%

My inaugural BeerAdvocate review! I figured I'd pick the first beer I ever had.

Bottle 13320 (November 16th, 2013?) CFQ3, from a standard shaker glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep gold, totally clear, 1/2" head, fades to a lingering foam. LOTS of carbonation.

Aroma: Mild, slight "stale beer" smell, slightly adjuncty/grainy.

Taste: Decent maltiness; fairly sweet on arrival, stays sweet across mid-palate. Grainy. rich/thick. Slight hoppy bitterness at the end. Not what I would call a "clean" finish - it sticks with you a while.

Mouthfeel: Slick and extremely carbonated. Foamy. Mid-weight, not too heavy, but decidedly heavier than PBR or Budweiser.

Overall: Three things strike me: (1) It is pretty decent for what it is ($7.50/6-pack!); (2) it is not going to win any awards; and (3) it tastes exactly as I remember it as a youngster, taking a sip of Dad's. Beer snobs everywhere can flame on, but I like this casual and unpretentious beer. It is greater than the sum of its parts.

03-21-2014 03:18:39 | More by SaltofOH
nicholas2121

Michelob is One of the Best Anheuser Busch Beers. The Taste and smell are good. Being made with the finest grains and malts. It dose not get any better than original Michelob. I would Take this over any other beer out there on the market. Michelob is a Great Beer for the Price.

02-09-2014 03:10:05 | More by nicholas2121
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

A- clear gold color with a snow white head that fades fast and leaves no lace
S-a sweet grain aroma
T- sweet grain taste that has a slight bitterness in the aftertaste that turns back to a sweet taste
M-light bodt and medium carbonation
O-this was okay

02-02-2014 00:23:06 | More by a0lbudman
Olek4374

Alberta (Canada)

2.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer is unavailable in my home province of Alberta, but I had a bunch of bottles of this on my trip to Las Vegas. Casino Royale had bottles of this swill for $1, which in Alberta is absolutely unheard of even for the worst beer. Our hotel was only a short walk from Casino Royale, so my friends and I took part in this offer several times.

Can't comment on the appearance since we drank it from the bottle, but the aroma wasn't awful for an adjunct lager. This is certainly a step above Bud.

The taste is also noticeably less adjunct-y than all the other big brands, with a refreshing finish.

It's still a poor beer, but it's a good poor beer.

09-16-2013 01:20:04 | More by Olek4374
TexasRedskinFan

3.75/5  rDev +40.4%

Recently drank a 12 pack of Original Michelob in the bottle. I hadn't really drank this since I was maybe 16-18 yrs old. Back when it still came in the rounded curvy style bottle.
This is GOOD beer by American standards. Very complex compared to Budweiser or Coors Banquet. I am very certain that the amount of "malt and noble hops" is minute compared to the corn/rice used in the brewing. But overall this is way way way better than your average American style beer. Or American light beer.

Pours a wonderful golden colour. Thin with a faint head.
Not much smell but not horrid or nausea inducing either.
Tastes like what a "Craft light beer" would probably taste like. Well rounded and balanced. Very flavorful without being bitter it over powering.

Overall I like this beer very well and will continue to buy it.

08-08-2013 04:15:19 | More by TexasRedskinFan
Damian

3.15/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass
Thanks to my dad for this single.

Crystal clear, golden yellow appearance. The liquid was topped by a creamy, three-finger, eggshell colored crown. The head quickly faded to a thin yet resilient cap. Drips of lacing trickled along the upper portion of the glass.

The nose was unremarkable. Super powdery, lager yeast notes dominated. Crisp and dry. Not really much else happening. As the head died down, mild grainy notes were detectible. There was a touch of generic, adjunct-like sweetness as well.

Even through this beer claims to be an all malt lager, the flavor profile initially tasted adjunct ridden. Hints of pale malts were detectible, along with rice, corn and other fillers. Touch of wet cardboard on the back end. Mild hop notes rounded out the finish. As the beer warmed, the noble hops became substantially more apparent. The "off" flavors that were perceivable initially were soon overshadowed by the earthy, bittering hops. I almost always drink my pale and adjunct lagers ice cold, but this beer definitely benefitted from some warming.

The mouthfeel was fairly average. Light and crisp with a fine, spritzy effervescence.

When I think of Michelob, the first thing that comes to mind is their commercial from the '80s featuring Genesis's "In The Air Tonight." While this beer's heyday has certainly come and gone, it would likely hit the spot on a hot day (or night).

04-05-2013 03:33:37 | More by Damian
beergoot

Colorado

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Crystal clear, deep yellow body with a decent white head. There's a fair malt note to the aroma, a little like lightly warmed bread. Taste starts out slightly grainy and then gets overtaken by a metallic brightness with a light hop bitterness at the finish. Mouthfeel is light, fizzy, clean, crisp, and dry.

One can hope that appearances may bode well for a beer, but Michelob just doesn't deliver. It's rough around the edges for a lager with too much carbonation in the feel and a metallic twang and bite that really detracts from what malts are used in the grain bill. Complexity and depth -- forget about it. Well, had to revisit this one since I haven't had one (probably) in several decades. Can't say I've missed much of anything over the years...

02-08-2013 00:25:08 | More by beergoot
Fatehunter

Oregon

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Finger of head, low retention. Clear, medium straw colored body.
Smell has the faintest scent of grain.
Taste is sweet then a nice bitterness with a slight (not nice) metallic flavor.
Texture is crisp with moderate to high carbonation and a medium body.
Descent but missing a solid scent and taste profile.

12-10-2012 03:29:53 | More by Fatehunter
mjurney

Appearance:
Light gold color, clear. Lots of bubble rising up. Nice frothy head, leaves a very nice lacing behind.

Aroma:
Barley malts, some spicy hops, crisp.

Taste:
Barley malts up front, slightly sweet and toasted, there some hint of hay. Hop bitterness is mild towards the finish, spicy-citrus. Body is light-medium, crisp, slight dry aftertaste, carbonation is soft.

11-11-2012 00:50:39 | More by mjurney
rangerred

Tennessee

3.08/5  rDev +15.4%

Had on tap at Rendezvous in Memphis.

Arrived looking like a typical American lager; crystal clear pale yellow with almost no head.

The aroma wasn't much, a little bit of hay and grassy hops were all I could pick up.

The flavor had more in the way of breadyness. Hops are nearly nonexistent. Just the lightest in the way of bitterness with no real hop flavor.

Overall, a good beer to wash down barbecue with but that's about it. Not something I would really seek out.

09-07-2012 00:26:04 | More by rangerred