Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob (Original Lager) Alström Bros
Reviews: 357 | Hads: 1,010
2.5/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Surprisingly enough I have actually found an Anheuiser Busch product I actually like (other then Michelob Ultra). This beer was much better then I had expected. It really did not have that much of a bite, and it went down very smoothly as well. I drank this right before I had my first ever Sam Adams, and I have to admit, I like Michelob a heckuva lot better then I like Sammy.

2.4/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured in the typical fizzy yellow beer profile. Head was nonexistent within 15 seconds - I counted. Light smell of malt and hops can be barely discerned above the smell of air surrounding the top of the beer. Good hop character for a FYB, but nothing at all amazing. Mouthfeel is thin - par for the course. Not a bad rendition, but no reason to rush out and try it. I bought the sampler case because it had two free glasses in it. I'm a sucker for free glasses, even if it means drinking my way through 18 mediocre brews.

2.32/5  rDev -17.1%

It's got a nuttier, fuller flavor than most of the cheap American macrobrews. I still have trouble drinking the stuff. If I'm going for a cheap beer, I'll usually just grab something that has no flavor instead of one that's a little more expensive with mediocre flavor.

2.47/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ahhh..another fine selection of beers on the golf course.

The first thing that I noted was the can said that it contained "All Imported Hops". I thought that AB grew most of their own hops in Washington at Elk Mountain (Remember the short-lived brews by that name?). Anyway, it could have used some of those hops. Not very aromatic. The color is a shade darker than the typical macro yellow (almost golden). Big white head. The taste is a malty sweet, with a lighter body. It has the signature Michelob sweet aftertaste that is typical in all of its beers. At least it was cold!

2.6/5  rDev -7.1%

I was not expecting much out of this beer but it did show me that it's taste wasn't half bad and that it was drinkable. It didn't look or smell any different than the other macros but it did taste ok. This is probably because it wasn't the light version. Not a great brew or even one I would rely on. Just a decent macro.

2.36/5  rDev -15.7%

Born on date of 8/22/03

This beer poured into the glass a crystal clear golden color, and good carbonation bubbles present. The head that was produced was fluffy and white in color. Some last (a few seconds) then fell to nothing. There was no lace present. The aroma was very-very light. I did manage to get some sweet malt and grains from it. But that was it. The flavors were also fairly weak in nature. I tasted some light malt, and grains that was it. No hops detected even though it states that they were imported. No aftertaste. This beer is crisp and light, it managed to quench my thirst, and that was all I was looking for at the moment. Over all impression, OK, I guess. A little pricey for a macro six pack, but when you have limited choices this is the one to chose.

Average....pours a clean golden tone with a nice medium white head, some carbonation and little to no lacing. Weak wheaty/malty smell with perhaps a bit of hops. A decent taste, with full bodied robust maltyness with some carbonation enhancing it, while the end is complimented with a nice and easy going bitterness (it preaches all imported hops). This all provides for a nice mouthfeel, and the easy it is to drink gives room for a second. That makes it a nice lager all-in-all.

1.03/5  rDev -63.2%

Pale, dull yellow
The smell is an atrocity. Cotton candy, nail polish, masking tape, weeds, dried pet food...as it warms up a strawberry shortcake perfume emerges to complicate things.
The taste is of creamed metal. Dusty-textured (I presume from the "all imported hops") and absolutely neutral in flavor. Beer for neurotic wannabees who hate and fear life.

"born" on June 23, 2003

2.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance – A heavier shade of yellow than most of the other macros. The head came up nicely then receded quickly, which is typical of the style.

Smell – Again, there’s a little more there than the other macros. There seems to be a mix of malts and hops along with a tinge of sweetness that may actually resemble a fruit of some kind (as opposed to candy like most of the other AB line).

Taste – Ouch. What the hell? It looks better than The King, smells better than The King, but tastes flat and uninspiring (worse than The King). Something was lost in the translation here. Some cheap sweetness was the highlight, but the malts failed to deliver and the banner at the top of the label should be changed from, “All Imported Hops,” to, “Exported All Hops.”

Mouthfeel – A little carbonation plays on the tongue, but the body is kind of flat overall.

Sinkability – The smellability was not bad, but I couldn’t see trying to get through a six-pack of this stuff.

Comments – Sorry to diss this one. I was well-intentioned at the onset after looking and sniffing, but I hate being lied to. I tossed this in the freezer for half an hour before tasting, too. How disappointing.

2.58/5  rDev -7.9%

To be honest, this is a very drinkable beer. It pours out to the standard, golden color of its style. Slightly sweet with a non-offensive, even lightly hopped taste. Acceptable, but not remarkable. Better than most of the AB offerings. I'd take it over a Heineken.

1.61/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A friend of mine gave me a bottle of this to try (wouldn't buy it on my own), she seems to like it a fair bit, but also drinks it from the bottles. I however can smell a rat the moment I pop off the bottle cap. Pale clear straw colour, leaning more towards the anemic end of the spectrum. Small ring after head quickly fades. Aroma is a bit caustic, grainy but not much else. Flavour rips a grainy strip across the tongue, leaving an unwelcome aftertaste in its wake. Corn adjuncts abound. Pehaps I should have stuck it in the freezer for half an hour and drank it straight out of the bottle. Nope, I wouldn't even accept this for free next time.

2.05/5  rDev -26.8%

Yellow fizzy in appearance white thin head quickly dissipates into nothing not much of anything going on here just "American" beer with as the label reads "All Imported Hops". Aromatics well has some detectable hops going on here just a touch with the corn and rice adjuncts also coming through with sweetness overall unoffensive to passive for me. Flavor consists of a sharp sweet adjunct ridden tone with the hop bitterness coming in to create a mediocre American light lager that should be the flagship beer of Anheuser Busch when compared to Budweiser. Not bad for AB but let's just say in the realm of lagers this is on the bottom of the pile but it's available everywhere and more drinkable then most macro products. Mouthfeel is thin and light bodied no texture extreme carbonation like a soda. Drinkability give me something worth my time glad I didn't purchase this one.

2.61/5  rDev -6.8%

(Another re-rate because the original review mysteriously disappeared. This is a cut-and-paste from my original review posted on Sept. 9, 2002).

Most people are probably comparing this beer to other, far more superior beers. I'll mostly be comparing it to it's cousin, Budweiser, so that's why it's getting a pretty positive review from me.

Basically, Michelob is a "premium" beer by AB. What does that extra dollar a six-pack get you? A beer with suposedly less adjuncts than Bud, some two-row barley (I'm guessing Bud has all 6-row), and "all imported hops" (which is supposed to impress us).

It pours a nice light golden color with a coppery touch, and the decent foamy head is slightly golden too (it disappears in about a minute). The smell is unremarkable. Other than some mild grain and alcohol, it isn't very strong. As for the taste, there is some malt taste there but not much, and there is some hop bitterness in the back of the mouth. Kind of weak on the normal taste front, but somehow I enjoyed the aftertaste. Although the light taste of the beer lingers, I seem to notice a kind of sweet floral taste that I think is appealing. As for the mouthfeel, it is very smooth. Not too heavily carbonated, but it feels good on the tastebuds.

In conclusion, a decent AB beer that I'm not ashamed to buy, and it probably goes well with a burger or steak.

2.74/5  rDev -2.1%

I saw this at the beer store, and said what the heck. I am entering a phase of "what the heck, if I haven't it before", etc. The clerk at the checkout shook his head, as it didn't 'go' with our other purchases of micros and imports, but I didn't care.

On to the beer:

Actually golden color. Big old head when poured, but that's disappeared now, just a slight white layer in my glass. Smell is sweet and slightly grainy/bready.

Taste is sweet, aftertaste even sweeter. The carbonation is very good, almost a bit undercarbonated. There's not a ton to talk about flavor wise, not sure where the 'imported hops' went that are listed on the label.

I won't be getting this again, but if you see it, and that's your only beer choice, it won't be the worst beer ever. I would think it would make a decent session beer, or a beer to have when among non BA-ers...it would give them a familiar name, and a slightly more interesting beer. Basically inofensive, no off-tastes that I could pick up on. Pat

2.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Pale golden in color with a white head. Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. Bland and uninspired taste consisted mainly of watered down malt and some mild hop bitterness. With all the hoopla on the label about the "Imported Hops", I would have thought this beer might have been a little more inspired. Oh well, the choice at where I was was at was either this or Miller High Life Light, so I went with the Michelob. For the uninitiated, this functions as a pretty non-offensive beer. Nothing special here.

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ultra translucent, no animation, dull. Smallish white head, fair retention, minimal. Sweet malt/adjunct nose, it’s a mess. The flavors on the palate are light, slightly sweet but not completely offensive… some graininess. Lacks any influence of the “all imported hops.” The malt backbone is fragile. Quick finish. Medium-light body with minimal carbonation. All in all, this isn’t half bad but it still induced a headache.

2.17/5  rDev -22.5%

Michelob...Just another American commercial Megabeer. Not real cheap but not pricey either. This is a good beer to drink in mass quantities, if you enjoy head aches. Fair taste, your friends won't think you're cheap and they'll come back if they know your frige is stocked with it(assuming they have no taste for good beer). The best news of all.....the average man can now finally twist off the cap with out pealing of the paper.

appearance: Yellow
Smell: Corn
Taste: not applicable
Mouthfeel: Hurry swollow it fast
Drinkability: Prepare to burp often, very filling.

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

This is one of the better beers when you want to drink higher class beers and you don't have a lot of money. Not as good as a Molson or Fosters this beer is average. The beer has a clean refreshing taste and goes down easily. It is best drank out of the bottle. The worst part of this beer like all Bud products would have to be the quick loss of carbonation.

3.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Sampled in a 12 oz bottle at a wedding reception.

Poured a clear golden color with a small to medium head with decent head retention and showed medium carbonation.

Smell was mostly malt with hints of adjuncts.

The taste was very crisp and clean with flavors of mostly malt with hints of adjuncts. Light to medium body with medium to medium-high carbonation. Goes down very easy with little fan fare and no thought.

I mentioned the wedding reception early because I sampled this out other choices of Natural Light and Heineken. Unfortunately I had the Heineken first. Fortunately I was very surprised by this Michelob and have a new default macro if no better choice presents itself. That being said I hope there is always a better choice.

1.8/5  rDev -35.7%

ah, michelob. it's a shame that on a rare occasion i would find myself making this purchase solely for the lava lamp shaped bottles (kinda like foster's for the big-ass oil can...low on cash, at least get something fun). sadly, where have ye gone? michelob out of a normal bottle just makes the nastiness even more apparent. pours the standard a-b piss yellow with a lovely watery taste that hints of rice and corn (perhaps?). nothing unexpected here. overall, another very boring brew from a very boring brewery.

2.77/5  rDev -1.1%

Ok number 4 in the lager challenge ( and it is becoming a challenge not to break down and go for the Guiness Extra Stout sitting in the garage).
Michelob now comes in the euro-style brown long neck ( i miss the old Michelob bottles , very distinctive)
Having said that the actual beer looks like any A-B cheapo lager product, urine yellow with a tiny head that turns into some unattractive wisps on top of the beer.
Smell again is clean but very weak..some hops..very weak floral type.
Now the taste for an A-B product is actually quite nice its got a nice malty profile at the start and i think i can taste some hop bitterness at the end..yes there are some adjuncts..but not as bad as "The King"..
Below average feel however in the mouth ..there is a rather nasty aftertaste that stays for a good 10 minutes not to pleasant.
I suppose given the slighly average taste its averaglly drinkable.
NOTE: I think given the horrid appearance and non-descript aroma this beer is better drank right from the bottle.

2.38/5  rDev -15%

Somewhat better than average for an A-B beer. The pour creates a standard looking macro beer with light color and dissipating head. The smell is largely of malt with a small sense of adjunts. Fairly standard A-B taste with less bite in the flavor than usual. A bit of astringency in the finish.

2.46/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a very clear golden color with a dishwater liquid foamy white head. As the head quickly receded, little lacework was present and tiny bubbles were present under the surface.

There was a very slight malt aroma and the initial taste had a very quickly disappearing hop taste. I didn’t notice much of an aftertaste, but I guess it’s served very cold, there isn’t supposed to be much of one.

Mouth feel was very light and after drinking it in a thirsty condition, it was quite refreshing. Other beers I can think of would also fit the bill, but I feel this one of the best of the macro brewers. Given the choice of what’s available in many bars, this may be one of the better choices. Take that for what it’s worth.

2.21/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Very clear gold color...total "stabilizer" head of very white foam with bubbles hanging beneath the surface -- lasts about 20 seconds. Sweet cream corn aroma. Starts with some maple malt and medium body but quickly deconstructs and thins to grainy mid mouth. Not as overcarbonated as some. Hops show some juicy qualities but little overall character -- but prevent an unpleasant, if over sweet, swallow. There are worse, I suppose, but nothing of any character in the malt department.

1.69/5  rDev -39.6%

I was forced to buy this since it came in a 12-pack with some others that are only available in this "special" 12-pack. I know, the pains of being a bottle collector. What is the big deal about imported hops (splashed on the label), there wasn't many and we have a ton of good ones in this country. Good carbonation and head, leaves a lace and not much else. Very light bodied, almost watery not much taste at all I am glad there are only two of these. The ABV is 5.0%.

Michelob (Original Lager) from Anheuser-Busch