Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.

(Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob (Original Lager) Alström Bros
bonbright7

2.95/5  rDev +10.9%

I bought a 1/2 barrel of this yesterday for an older crowd that wasn't ready to learn about the wonders of craft brewing for my historical society's annual square dance. I thought the Michelob was a safe bet and a step up on its cousin Bud as the crowd was consuming large plates of beans, fried chicken, bbq ribs, and mixed greens.

I had tapped the keg with a splash of foam before leaving it iced down for the forthcoming dinner. After returning from a show to find the square dance in full swing, I poured my self a generous pint of Michelob. It looked okay, smelled slightly of barley, and eventually tasted okay. The taste had a slight rolling quality to it that evened out as it got warmer. This was not the Michelob of my teenage years, but it was harmless.

The crowd consumed the Michelob without much thought and I had at least 7 pints of the beer to help them kick the keg. Some of this same crowd will be at my Halloween party where they will be floored by Sixpoint Ales and then they will not miss the Michelob, other than a passing taste.

05-21-2007 01:01:12 | More by bonbright7
JoEBoBpr

2.98/5  rDev +12%

This is a very drinkable macro-lager. It pours alight godlen straw and has alot of grain in the nose as well as some hopiness but very faint. The taste is very suprising for a macro its very malty and grainny and pleasent. A very good refreshing beer that quenches the thisrst of summer grilling.

05-19-2007 20:43:57 | More by JoEBoBpr
goschool

3.4/5  rDev +27.8%

Appearance: The pour is light gold with plenty of head for a lager.

Smell: The nose is mainly grains with sweet granny smith apples and a bit of hops. It's a little too mushed together to be a really nice aroma.

Taste: Pale malts up front, crisp hoppy finish. What's not to like?

Mouthfeel: It's crisp with good carbonation.

Drinkability: A-B done good with this one.

05-19-2007 06:04:53 | More by goschool
nicksta

3.43/5  rDev +28.9%

This is a pretty good All-Malt Lager. The taste was obviously very big on the sweet malts. It wasn't sparse. The taste was sweet, thick and full. Like a hint of bread with a lot of rice ... or maybe Chex Mix. The rest of the beer was good too. It was nice and foamy but not overly carbonated. The beer also had good drinkability. I was able to crack one open and take a good long chug. However, it is expensive. And just being above average doesn't warrant an expensive price tag. Oh well, it isn't like I bought it this time. It is the best All-Malt I've ever had. The last time I had it I was pretty drunk. Plus, this time I haven't had a (good) brew in a while.

05-13-2007 00:07:37 | More by nicksta
budgood1

3.35/5  rDev +25.9%

pours out of the nifty looking brown curved bottle a clear golden straw colour. very thin head supported by medium carbonation. thin lace. surprising aroma of malty fruitiness...some husky graininess and a ghost like hop aroma. one of the nicest smelling mass produced lagers i've had in awhile. light on taste...typical A-B flavours...like budweiser without the creaminess. grainy and malty...husky flavours. i'm comparing to this bud, and it's hard to tell the difference...mich is definitely a grainier version of the the A-B standard. maybe heartier is a better description. anyway...the mouthfeel is fullish...and the body is deceptively light yet well rounded. drinkability is good because it just tastes good and is refreshing. i like the extra flavours it imparts compared to the rest of the macro counterparts. and i'm impartial of the "high end" reputation.

the all malt version of michelob is a blur between the lines of bud and other full flavoured offerings from A-B. not worth paying any more than bud.

05-02-2007 00:18:01 | More by budgood1
Taipans

2.78/5  rDev +4.5%

Out of all the AB products I have always been partial to Michelob. I don't know if its just the premium pricing, or because I felt "better" drinking it over bud light when younger. I could swear up and down that its over all a better product then bud light, but anymore its hard to tell the difference.

2 finger head that quickly drops to a foamy coating. Smells bland, nothing complex about it. Tastes over all sweet and boring, but not horrible. Good mouthfeel, although very carbonated.

Easy to drink! Thats got to be the best attribute. When very hot outside its so light in body and flavor that you could throw back a sixer of these no problem.

Overall everything about this takes me back a handful of years, which is why I most likely still favor this over any other AB product.

05-01-2007 15:19:23 | More by Taipans
tonistruth

Nevada

3.8/5  rDev +42.9%

new hourglass bottle (all malt)

A- golden, fizzy, 1 finger white, surprisingly little retent, crystal clear

S- clean, malts, doughy

T- doughy malt flavor, fairly balanced (though bit in sweet side), sweet bread after, herbal, mellow

M- light bodied, smooth, nice carbonation level

D- simple and tasty sessionable lager, not a brew i would ever crave, but this is where i now point people who are trying to break into better beer. wish it was little less sweet though

04-23-2007 00:13:34 | More by tonistruth
malcontent

2.23/5  rDev -16.2%

Pale, fizzy-looking body with what appears to be a lot of carbonation and a thin, unexciting head.

Grainy, stale smell with corn husks and a touch of sweetness.

Extraordinarily watery in taste (or lack thereof), almost like club soda. Faintly cracker-y and, well, that's about it. Doesn't taste bad but it really doesn't taste like anything.

Thin up front and then slightly astringent on the finish. Not doing it for me. This is certainly not the worst tasting beer I've had but there's absolutely nothing good about it either. I could see drinking this in lieu of water after mowing the lawn.

04-19-2007 01:51:58 | More by malcontent
rowew

Colorado

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bowling pin bottle. Gold foil label, born on date. All malt. I like the return to the old style, and all malt - hopefully the beer is improved as well.

Appearance: Pale gold, crystal clear and a bit bubbly. Better than average head, a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Clean malt and just the faintest whiff of noble hops - but the aroma is barely there.

Taste: Clean and drinkable - certainly not complex or deep, but it does seem better than average for macro.

Overall impression: Still not a thrilling beer - but this one doesn't have the adjunct flavors of many macro offerings. I would put this a step above many other BMC offerings right now.

04-02-2007 22:51:25 | More by rowew
liquidnoise

2.78/5  rDev +4.5%

I paid more for this than Budweiser... why?? I thought I'd give this a try solely because of the high rating on this site. I thought I might find a compromise here between high priced imports/microbrews and cheap American trash. Unfortunately, Budweiser still seems like a better product in my opinion.

As with most AML's, I left this in the bottle. No use pouring it. Most people don't like the appearance of AML's anyway because of the faint, straw yellow color, so it seems like leaving it in the bottle adds to the experience.

No real smell.

Tasted watery and faint like most AMLs. Unlike Budweiser, a little bit of skunk was present. It tasted like I was drinking an Icehouse. Offensive and disappointing.

Not worth the "few pennies more" they used to sing about in their commercials. I knew I should have stuck with Budweiser. Next time I will.

04-02-2007 20:18:24 | More by liquidnoise
steveh

2.35/5  rDev -11.7%

Decided to bite the bullet and keep from being hypocritical (and hyper critical) about giving a big brewer a chance.

Well, while the new All Malt (don't they malt corn and rice too?) Michelob has a nice color and head, it's all around pretty bland. I guess A-B would call it "inoffensive," and that it certainly is.

There is some faint Hallertauer hoppiness in the nose, but no malt. The initial flavor is not - it's water-like, then a grainy aftertaste follows through and some slight bitterness in the finish. This beer will never be confused with a good Bavarian Helles - it could never be confused with Heineken, for that matter. The graininess is far from good Pilsner or Munich malt flavor.

The body is thin, the mouthfeel spritzy without being over the top carbonated - but not quite as soft as double-decoction will make a beer.

Completely unimpressed with the new incarnation of this beer, but who knows? Maybe A-B is taking small steps and we'll be able to watch this beer evolve into something?

03-29-2007 12:41:13 | More by steveh
rodrot

2.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a light golden color with a large head that fades fast. Aroma- slight cereal grain along with some faint citrusy notes, otherwise not much else. Taste was equally unexciting. Slight malt character in the flavor and lots of sweet lemony notes and also that cooked vege taste that reminds me of every other American style macro lager. Also, hop flavor was not noticeable in the least. If this is supposed to be all-malt, AB must not have used much of it. Mouthfeel was light and watery. I'd have to say the drinkability was pretty good though. On a warm late winter day it was easy to drink.

03-22-2007 22:04:58 | More by rodrot
bigdeuce

3.28/5  rDev +23.3%

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I have been saying that AB changed Michelob's receipe when they changed to the longneck bottle. It got too sweet and yuck! But hey, I had one of the new ones in the rocket bottles at my Dad's and I'll say, it is back to being a good macro beer. No micro, but excellent for a macro. Smell is average, the appearance is awful and pissy yellow, but tastes good, nothing offensive. Not bad.

03-17-2007 00:37:42 | More by bigdeuce
gus

2.38/5  rDev -10.5%

Appears a very light yellow in color, with a small off white head that dissolves right away. Moderate to light in carbonation and bubbles. No hop aroma, in fact very little smell at all. Mouthfeel is somewhat bland to me, with no bite when drinking and no bitterness whatsoever. A classic "lawnmover beer", one of the many mass produced american beers. I got this in a gift box and drank it just for a quick drink, nothing I would buy when out on the town.

03-13-2007 23:09:48 | More by gus
goochpunch

2.28/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours out a pale gold to almost straw body with a thin head that soon becomes a ring of bubbles. Bubbles are scant in the body. Smells an awful lot like an adjunct lager with all the harsh grain in the nose. Sweet nose. Faint malts. Taste is a mix of malt and grain with grain showing more muscle. There is a faint bitterness in the finish. Finally I get some half-decent bready malt in the aftertaste. Body is kind of sticky and oily in a way. Pricks the tongue too much considering the lack of bubbles in the appearance. I'm just not impressed with this and reminds me of a poor Mexican lager. I'll take a Bohemia over this anyday.

03-10-2007 02:00:16 | More by goochpunch
mynie

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev +9%

ABs marketing is uneven, to say the least. Most of their commercials totally suck--some even make me ashamed to be a male and a beerdrinker--but then, last year, they started showing entire commercials from the early 60s. That was cool as shit. Then they started packaging Bud in paper sixers in replica cans from the early 60s. Also, cool as shit.

After years of exclusively chasing after the lowest common denominator, it seems as if AB has recognized a new target market: people who know how to breathe through their noses. This is reflected in their recent line of seasonal beers meant to emulate craft brews, and in their new, "adult" image of Michelob. The bottle's made to appeal to 28-38 year old professionals with its sleek lettering and womanly shape. The appeal to jaded twentysomethings like myself is incidential--we remember pounding the lava lamp bottles back in high school and AB must have known that we couldn't have resisted picking up a sixer of the rerelease.

Dark gold champagney bubbles with a tiny but retentive head.

Smells of deep grain without any hints of adjunct. The grain isn't weedy or flowery, it's actually pretty bland. Not bad, actually nice and crisp, but nothing close to impressive.

Tastes very much like it smells. Very crisp grainy graininess, no adjunct. Not cheap grain, but not exactly complex and tasty grain. The hops are only a dry little snip at the end.

Gone is the crappy AB aftertaste and in its place is nothing else of note. This is probably a step up from the old recipe of Michelob--I can't really remember what that was like--but it's still not that great.

Like AB's other attempts at classiness, this one is rather half-assed.

03-07-2007 01:58:12 | More by mynie
LarryV

3.38/5  rDev +27.1%

This is the all malt brew. Born on date 7-Feb-07.

Pours a light golden color with nary any head at all. Aroma is very clean and neutral. No cooked veggies, not much of anything really.

Taste is very clean, short lived on the palate. Slightly sweet maltiness is balanced by a light hoppiness that comes out in the finish. Tingly carbonation seems appropriate for this brew. Mouthfeel is somewhere between thin and medium. Actually not a bad brew, I think it would be a good accompaniment to pizza or some good bbq.

03-04-2007 21:08:55 | More by LarryV
2wheeledpirate

West Virginia

2.75/5  rDev +3.4%

A medium yellow color, with a light foamy head that dissipates quickly. The carbonation remains throughout. I can best describe the smell as "flat". Taste is no surprise compared to any other american macro lager. Light to medium bodied. I wouldn't turn this beer away, but I wouldn't crave it either.

03-03-2007 12:54:42 | More by 2wheeledpirate
IntriqKen

3.55/5  rDev +33.5%

"New, all malt Michelob Lager.
Love the bottle by the way.
Pours the same p&* yellow with small head that melts very fast to nothing. Steady stream of carbonation from the bottom however.
Aroma is a clean, fresh lager...more than what is, would be what isn't in this beer. No adjunct smells...no corn...no rice....no funk...no skunk (sulpher).
Mouthfeel is tingly from the tiny carbonation and slightly buttery.
Taste is on the thin side....still, it's a very light lager with none of the offensive big macro qualities. There is hops to refresh and malt to sweeten...just not enough of either to stand out or be remembered.
Good summer brew when your mind is on something else.

03-01-2007 02:42:43 | More by IntriqKen
MSchae1017

Georgia

2.73/5  rDev +2.6%

This is a review of the NEW Michelob

Appearance - pretty similar to the old michelob. this one is just a bit less pale and actually has a thin film that stays as the beer is drank.

Smell - still sweet, bland and malty and still no hops, but no offensive adjuncts.

Taste - very bland, but again no corn or rice so not too offensive, just boring. No hops, mild sweetness.

Mouthfeel - This is the one area where the new Michelob seems to fall a bit short, its just a bit more watery than the old.

Drinkability - More drinkable than the old version. but still not exciting. It could be easily drank to quench your thirst in the Summer and its not too offensive to refuse. Either Way for an all malt lager go for the Brooklyn, unless you are in my neck of the woods go for some palmetto

02-24-2007 01:44:48 | More by MSchae1017
JoeyBeerBelly

4.33/5  rDev +62.8%

I had to buy this once I saw the lava lamp bottle was back!

I paid $8.99 for a 12pack at the supermarket, what the heck... if I didn't drink it, my wife would.

I'm basing my review on the beer style...
Macro Brewery / Lager Beer

Anyway, on to the new/old, All Malt, Michelob Lager...

I did this beer the honor of pouring it in to a pint glass (normally I would drink a beer of this style "straight out da bottle"). It was a golden color, lots of carbination, little head and some lacing.

it smelled like beer.

it tasted pretty darn good compared to it's Macro peers.

It felt good in the mouth, kind of fizzy but finished clean.

I could drink lots of this beer when so inspired to do so.

Example: I could bring a case of this over to my bro-in-law's house, knock it off with him during a Yankee game and feel no pain in the morning.

02-23-2007 02:00:12 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Bighuge

Clear, pale apple cider tone. Thin off white head that has no retention and little lacing ability. Aroma is sweet, grainy and just a little adjuncty. Taste is very plain. Nothing bad, but not a lot good about it either. I could see drinking a few of these in the summer or after a salty dinner, but really not much other use for this beer. What flavor that is there is clean. Slight impressions of malt and sweetness. Spritzy carbonation. Weak body. Actually a decent macro, but nothing I'd turn to very often.

01-31-2007 03:48:39 | More by Bighuge
Metalmonk

2.1/5  rDev -21.1%

My first Michelob since the party days of long ago, when I didn't care so much about flavor as price. I admit being skeptical before opening the bottle, which was given to me by a friend. It was left in his fridge by another friend. I figured, why not check it out and review it? I hope I don't regret it.

Pours a sickly light yellow that's nearly as clear as water. Bubbles are generous, and the big foamy head dies to a very thin layer quickly.

Smells like many a lager brewed by various brewers around the world, that lightly sweet caramel-corn scent prevailing, though there's not a great deal of depth to this aroma.

Damn those macros and their metallic flavor. The first couple seconds of the sip I'm thinking "hey, not great, but not terrible" then all of a sudden that steely, corny, retarded-malt sweetness hits and then I know why I stay away from this stuff. The finish isn't crisp, a bit wet and sticky actually, though the somewhat buttery mouthfeel is okay.

I didn't pay for it, and I never will, but certainly not the worst of the American macros. Remember when Genesis were sponsored by Michelob on the 'Invisible Touch' tour? Crappy beer, crappy album...makes sense.

01-09-2007 22:47:15 | More by Metalmonk
rrg1gb

2.5/5  rDev -6%

A - Dark gold appearance, poured with lots of carbonation but there was little head from the very beginning

S - I couldn't smell anything other than a slight - very slight - rice aroma but that's about it.

T - It was smooth and sweet, a little crisp but no hops flavor whatsoever.

M - Very carbonated, but has a weird aftertaste (almost tasted like overcooked rice).

D - As the days go by, I hear more people complain that they can't taste the difference between Bud and Michelob. I'm not at all surprised. There's nothing in the flavor that makes Mich superior to Bud, and I just don't think that this is worth the super-premium price.

01-04-2007 01:00:37 | More by rrg1gb
GeoffRizzo

2.45/5  rDev -7.9%

Clear golden in color with bubbly, champagne-like carbonation. Thin head that forms minor traces of lacing. The nose is sweet malts, and that’s about it. A crisp delivery of grainy malts, with the almost a-typical AB adjunct paste. The mouthfeel and palate and left clean, and somewhat creamy, which is a plus. Finishes just a touch on the sweet side. Certainly not one of the best lagers, yet not the worst. Let’s not get carried away though, ok?

11-20-2006 02:01:24 | More by GeoffRizzo