Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.

(Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob (Original Lager) Alström Bros
2.28/5  rDev -14%

Pours out a pale gold to almost straw body with a thin head that soon becomes a ring of bubbles. Bubbles are scant in the body. Smells an awful lot like an adjunct lager with all the harsh grain in the nose. Sweet nose. Faint malts. Taste is a mix of malt and grain with grain showing more muscle. There is a faint bitterness in the finish. Finally I get some half-decent bready malt in the aftertaste. Body is kind of sticky and oily in a way. Pricks the tongue too much considering the lack of bubbles in the appearance. I'm just not impressed with this and reminds me of a poor Mexican lager. I'll take a Bohemia over this anyday.

2.9/5  rDev +9.4%

ABs marketing is uneven, to say the least. Most of their commercials totally suck--some even make me ashamed to be a male and a beerdrinker--but then, last year, they started showing entire commercials from the early 60s. That was cool as shit. Then they started packaging Bud in paper sixers in replica cans from the early 60s. Also, cool as shit.

After years of exclusively chasing after the lowest common denominator, it seems as if AB has recognized a new target market: people who know how to breathe through their noses. This is reflected in their recent line of seasonal beers meant to emulate craft brews, and in their new, "adult" image of Michelob. The bottle's made to appeal to 28-38 year old professionals with its sleek lettering and womanly shape. The appeal to jaded twentysomethings like myself is incidential--we remember pounding the lava lamp bottles back in high school and AB must have known that we couldn't have resisted picking up a sixer of the rerelease.

Dark gold champagney bubbles with a tiny but retentive head.

Smells of deep grain without any hints of adjunct. The grain isn't weedy or flowery, it's actually pretty bland. Not bad, actually nice and crisp, but nothing close to impressive.

Tastes very much like it smells. Very crisp grainy graininess, no adjunct. Not cheap grain, but not exactly complex and tasty grain. The hops are only a dry little snip at the end.

Gone is the crappy AB aftertaste and in its place is nothing else of note. This is probably a step up from the old recipe of Michelob--I can't really remember what that was like--but it's still not that great.

Like AB's other attempts at classiness, this one is rather half-assed.

3.38/5  rDev +27.5%

This is the all malt brew. Born on date 7-Feb-07.

Pours a light golden color with nary any head at all. Aroma is very clean and neutral. No cooked veggies, not much of anything really.

Taste is very clean, short lived on the palate. Slightly sweet maltiness is balanced by a light hoppiness that comes out in the finish. Tingly carbonation seems appropriate for this brew. Mouthfeel is somewhere between thin and medium. Actually not a bad brew, I think it would be a good accompaniment to pizza or some good bbq.

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

A medium yellow color, with a light foamy head that dissipates quickly. The carbonation remains throughout. I can best describe the smell as "flat". Taste is no surprise compared to any other american macro lager. Light to medium bodied. I wouldn't turn this beer away, but I wouldn't crave it either.

3.55/5  rDev +34%

"New, all malt Michelob Lager.
Love the bottle by the way.
Pours the same p&* yellow with small head that melts very fast to nothing. Steady stream of carbonation from the bottom however.
Aroma is a clean, fresh lager...more than what is, would be what isn't in this beer. No adjunct smells...no corn...no rice....no funk...no skunk (sulpher).
Mouthfeel is tingly from the tiny carbonation and slightly buttery.
Taste is on the thin side....still, it's a very light lager with none of the offensive big macro qualities. There is hops to refresh and malt to sweeten...just not enough of either to stand out or be remembered.
Good summer brew when your mind is on something else.

2.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a review of the NEW Michelob

Appearance - pretty similar to the old michelob. this one is just a bit less pale and actually has a thin film that stays as the beer is drank.

Smell - still sweet, bland and malty and still no hops, but no offensive adjuncts.

Taste - very bland, but again no corn or rice so not too offensive, just boring. No hops, mild sweetness.

Mouthfeel - This is the one area where the new Michelob seems to fall a bit short, its just a bit more watery than the old.

Drinkability - More drinkable than the old version. but still not exciting. It could be easily drank to quench your thirst in the Summer and its not too offensive to refuse. Either Way for an all malt lager go for the Brooklyn, unless you are in my neck of the woods go for some palmetto

4.33/5  rDev +63.4%

I had to buy this once I saw the lava lamp bottle was back!

I paid $8.99 for a 12pack at the supermarket, what the heck... if I didn't drink it, my wife would.

I'm basing my review on the beer style...
Macro Brewery / Lager Beer

Anyway, on to the new/old, All Malt, Michelob Lager...

I did this beer the honor of pouring it in to a pint glass (normally I would drink a beer of this style "straight out da bottle"). It was a golden color, lots of carbination, little head and some lacing.

it smelled like beer.

it tasted pretty darn good compared to it's Macro peers.

It felt good in the mouth, kind of fizzy but finished clean.

I could drink lots of this beer when so inspired to do so.

Example: I could bring a case of this over to my bro-in-law's house, knock it off with him during a Yankee game and feel no pain in the morning.

Clear, pale apple cider tone. Thin off white head that has no retention and little lacing ability. Aroma is sweet, grainy and just a little adjuncty. Taste is very plain. Nothing bad, but not a lot good about it either. I could see drinking a few of these in the summer or after a salty dinner, but really not much other use for this beer. What flavor that is there is clean. Slight impressions of malt and sweetness. Spritzy carbonation. Weak body. Actually a decent macro, but nothing I'd turn to very often.

2.1/5  rDev -20.8%

My first Michelob since the party days of long ago, when I didn't care so much about flavor as price. I admit being skeptical before opening the bottle, which was given to me by a friend. It was left in his fridge by another friend. I figured, why not check it out and review it? I hope I don't regret it.

Pours a sickly light yellow that's nearly as clear as water. Bubbles are generous, and the big foamy head dies to a very thin layer quickly.

Smells like many a lager brewed by various brewers around the world, that lightly sweet caramel-corn scent prevailing, though there's not a great deal of depth to this aroma.

Damn those macros and their metallic flavor. The first couple seconds of the sip I'm thinking "hey, not great, but not terrible" then all of a sudden that steely, corny, retarded-malt sweetness hits and then I know why I stay away from this stuff. The finish isn't crisp, a bit wet and sticky actually, though the somewhat buttery mouthfeel is okay.

I didn't pay for it, and I never will, but certainly not the worst of the American macros. Remember when Genesis were sponsored by Michelob on the 'Invisible Touch' tour? Crappy beer, crappy album...makes sense.

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Dark gold appearance, poured with lots of carbonation but there was little head from the very beginning

S - I couldn't smell anything other than a slight - very slight - rice aroma but that's about it.

T - It was smooth and sweet, a little crisp but no hops flavor whatsoever.

M - Very carbonated, but has a weird aftertaste (almost tasted like overcooked rice).

D - As the days go by, I hear more people complain that they can't taste the difference between Bud and Michelob. I'm not at all surprised. There's nothing in the flavor that makes Mich superior to Bud, and I just don't think that this is worth the super-premium price.

2.45/5  rDev -7.5%

Clear golden in color with bubbly, champagne-like carbonation. Thin head that forms minor traces of lacing. The nose is sweet malts, and that’s about it. A crisp delivery of grainy malts, with the almost a-typical AB adjunct paste. The mouthfeel and palate and left clean, and somewhat creamy, which is a plus. Finishes just a touch on the sweet side. Certainly not one of the best lagers, yet not the worst. Let’s not get carried away though, ok?

2.8/5  rDev +5.7%

Presentation: 12oz bottle with a born on date.

Appearance: A nice white head that complements the golden straw yellow of the beer.

Smell: A hint of grains and alcohol and no hint of hops or anything else for that matter.

Taste: An unassuming hop bitterness that screams to be heard but to no avail. Other than that it is just an grainy soup of a lager that could be a lot better in this department.

Mouth-Feel: Thin crisp mouth-feel witch went down great.

Drink-Ability: Not the worst lager I’ve drunken from a macro brewer but save your money on spend it on something better.

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I hadn't had a Michelob for years, so when I saw the sixer sitting there in the cooler at the gas station I figured, "What the heck? I can do a review of this!" And so here we are.

The bottlecap twists off easily and I pour it into a tulip glass better suited for a fine Belgian ale, mostly for the comic irony. I am not terribly surprised that the irony was the most delicious part of the experience, but honestly it's not quite as bad as I'd expected. The beer pours thin and watery, with a tiny white head that disappears before it even really gets going, leaving no trace of lace. The color is a sort of sickly dark yellow color, which doesn't really look all that bad, quite a bit darker than I expected. The brew is of course crystal clear.

The smell is about the best thing this beer has going for it. It actually smells halfway decent, although the unescapable grassy funk of what seems to be a rice adjunct is present (this is all-malt, right!?). Other than that there's a slight malty grain aroma. Zero hops. This pretty much holds for the flavor, although the "adjunct" funk is a lot more apparent, and there's a teeny tiny bit of hop just barely imparting a hit of bitterness. All in all the flavor and aroma are similar, but the aroma is more subtle and thus better--or at least less unpleasant. When you can actually taste it, the unpleasantness becomes a lot more apparent. For an all-malt lager, there is a peculiar grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel is as bad as any beer I've ever had. Way overcarbonated and watery. Just gross. Drinkability, well, I'd rather have this than a Budweiser, but that's not saying a lot. If it's between this and water, I'll probably go with water.

2.9/5  rDev +9.4%

As bad a rap as A/B gets I was expecting worse from this beer. It i actually darker color than I expected and flavor is not repulsive.

Appearance: Pours a pale amber clear body with a white head a top. It did actually showcase some decent lacing. Nice.

Smell: Typical BMC grain smell with a hint of pale malt a dash cabbage scented hops, in an otherwise reserved nose.

Taste: Simple and straightforward flavor, as expected but with a pleasant hint of sweet maltyness and a decent smooth body. The malt and the bitter do balance nicely but the bitter barely has a hop flavor. Still, it is all average and pleasant until the aftertaste, which certainly put me back a bit.

Mouthfeel: very limited carbonation but creamy smooth all the same.

Drinkability: If you adjust to the offensive aftertaste or just drink it fast then you don't notice too much appalling character.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Michelob came served in a pilsner, it was a typical pale yellow with almost no head. The aroma, well, it didn't smell like much. Adjunct predominates. Taste, well, there weren't any off flavors as such, just nothing special. Decent for lawnmower beer.

2.38/5  rDev -10.2%

Not really much to this beer. A step above the BMC macro big ticket beers. but not much. This is really not a bad beer, just does not have any of the characteristics that I have found make a good or great beer. It will do for a beer in a restaurant before dinner when nothing better is available (which is how I had it) but not worth buying when there are better chioices.

2.2/5  rDev -17%

Pours a light gold with a thin head that immediately disappears to a thin ring.

The smell is of some husky grains with a touch of sweetness.

There's watery nothing in the nose. Hints of thin adjuncts emerge, but with no particular flavors.

The feel is of water with a slight lingering sweetness.

This is so thin that I would have thought it to be a macro light if I didn't know better. It's not completely undrinkable, but is ridiculously thin and almost tasteless.

3.13/5  rDev +18.1%

As a macro brew this isn't too bad. Something of a light brown, amber color with thin head, which didn't stay long.
Smell of malt and biscuit, some hops but just barely.
Taste wasn't too bad, but nothing to write home about. More rye or grain tasting, little hops and some malt.
If you drink macros try this one.
Definitely drink this cold, as it tastes better that way. I

2.63/5  rDev -0.8%

I was at a wedding recently and they had Bud, Coors Light, and this--so I decided to go with this. Slightly better than Bud, the smell was slightly fruity and the taste was dry. Good amount of carbonation, OK mouthfeel, and the drinkability was fair-good. This would be a good beer to have...at a wedding when the other choices are Bud and Coors Light.

2.42/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Michelob, another overrated lager.

A: Pours a very light yellow with a long lasting head, very unimpressive.

S: Smells average, little bit of a hoppy smell, with a bit of a spicy scent to it.

T: Little hop pressence, and a little off sweet but bearable to say the least. Below average.

M: The taste can make for a bad mouthfeel, although it is a tad bubbly.

D: Very drinkable despide the mouthfeel, goes down smooth and leaves a bit of a bad aftertaste.

I would only reccomend this to someone who this beer is beer like a bud light fan other than that, I wouldn't reccomend this to any real beer drinkers.

3.2/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A surprisingly quite decent American macro lager, well decent as far as the standards that most American macro lager brewers set for themselves and the beers they brew, which are considered to be pretty low by most of us BA's here. Anyways, I got a bottle of this for free, but this is one of a very few American macro lagers that might actually be worth buying, but only if nothing else better is available at the time. This beer is actually a bit better than Bud, Miller, Labatt, Coors, etc. and that is surprising to me considering it is brewed by A-B. They should just brew this and quit brewing Bud and Busch altogether. Pours a medium gold color with almost zero head. What little head there was all but totally gone gone almost instantly, leaving little lacing. Although some trace of a head did stick around for quite awhile. Smells are of some grains and malt. Slightly sweet taste with some malt and perhaps a very faint trace of hops. A sligthly bitter aftertaste. Crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Finishes clean and is easy to drink. Nothing great from this beer, but not horrible my any means. A-B should market this as aggressively as it does Bud b/c this beer is certainly at least a little bit better. Better than I was expecting. In a way I feel this beer isn't living up to its full potential. It could become so much more than what it already is. All in all a decent beer but I won't feel deprived if I never drink it again either.

Eric

2.85/5  rDev +7.5%

The second A-B product offered to me at a week-end gathering...my host felt he was really doing me a favor sharing one of his favorite US import beer with me.

It poured with a bright gold color and a decent enough white cap. Moderate carbonation. Very little aroma aside from light whiffs of grains. smae light body an character as Budweiser except the weak malts are more defined in this beer...clean crisp finish, no aftertaste. and no "off" tastes either.

..fairly boring macro beer...not offensive but nothing unique either....a let down for all the hype about it being a super premium macro

2.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Never got around to reviewing this offering...
best choice at the local Conoco gas station, go for it.

Not much of a head, color is basic golden lager.

Smell- not perceptible; in keeping with US version of the style.

Taste is better than Bud- damning with feint praise.

A drinkable beer but hardly worth the upcharge from std AB fare.

This beer had a mystique and a unique bottle shape 20 years ago.
That is long gone.

1.58/5  rDev -40.4%

I remember back when I was young and stupid (at least over the years one of those has changed), I thought Michelob was *the* brew. It was marketed as the
top of the A-B line, so I would drink it. Actually my father drank it so I would have it as well. In college I didn't spend the extra money on Mich, but we won't go there, its too painful to recall.

Anyway, appearance is golden almost clear in good lighting, I realize most lagers are light in color, but c'mon. Smell and taste are usually non-discernable, mainly because all A-B products are served ice-cold. The ads say its more refreshing cold, but its probably to mask the fact theat there is not really much in the way of flavor. Mouthfeel something like recently melted ice, drinkability: not. I realize we are not supposed to slam beers, but there are so many good tasting/looking/feeling lagers and pilsners out there that we should be honest, and honestly this beer is just not that good. I guess if I were to taste test all
Americal pilsner/lager types I might raise the score as a beer of this type, but
I tend to rate all styles together, so thus the low score.

2.53/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another of those "I thought I'd already rated it" beers. Any review of a American macro lager must be done in context of the field against which the beer competes. I won't hold Mich out as an example of a fine lager, but, as macro lagers go, it has more body and depth than most. A bit more emphasis on malt than most of AB's lagers, with a disconcerting but not overwhelming husky nature. Hopping is nondescript, but noticeably present and sufficient. Presents itself as a premium product, and manages to be adequate, which, perhaps, is all a macro lager can hope for.

Michelob (Original Lager) from Anheuser-Busch