Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.

(Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob (Original Lager) Alström Bros
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Dark gold appearance, poured with lots of carbonation but there was little head from the very beginning

S - I couldn't smell anything other than a slight - very slight - rice aroma but that's about it.

T - It was smooth and sweet, a little crisp but no hops flavor whatsoever.

M - Very carbonated, but has a weird aftertaste (almost tasted like overcooked rice).

D - As the days go by, I hear more people complain that they can't taste the difference between Bud and Michelob. I'm not at all surprised. There's nothing in the flavor that makes Mich superior to Bud, and I just don't think that this is worth the super-premium price.

rrg1gb, Jan 04, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -7.2%

Clear golden in color with bubbly, champagne-like carbonation. Thin head that forms minor traces of lacing. The nose is sweet malts, and that’s about it. A crisp delivery of grainy malts, with the almost a-typical AB adjunct paste. The mouthfeel and palate and left clean, and somewhat creamy, which is a plus. Finishes just a touch on the sweet side. Certainly not one of the best lagers, yet not the worst. Let’s not get carried away though, ok?

GeoffRizzo, Nov 20, 2006
2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Presentation: 12oz bottle with a born on date.

Appearance: A nice white head that complements the golden straw yellow of the beer.

Smell: A hint of grains and alcohol and no hint of hops or anything else for that matter.

Taste: An unassuming hop bitterness that screams to be heard but to no avail. Other than that it is just an grainy soup of a lager that could be a lot better in this department.

Mouth-Feel: Thin crisp mouth-feel witch went down great.

Drink-Ability: Not the worst lager I’ve drunken from a macro brewer but save your money on spend it on something better.

mnesporov, Nov 14, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I hadn't had a Michelob for years, so when I saw the sixer sitting there in the cooler at the gas station I figured, "What the heck? I can do a review of this!" And so here we are.

The bottlecap twists off easily and I pour it into a tulip glass better suited for a fine Belgian ale, mostly for the comic irony. I am not terribly surprised that the irony was the most delicious part of the experience, but honestly it's not quite as bad as I'd expected. The beer pours thin and watery, with a tiny white head that disappears before it even really gets going, leaving no trace of lace. The color is a sort of sickly dark yellow color, which doesn't really look all that bad, quite a bit darker than I expected. The brew is of course crystal clear.

The smell is about the best thing this beer has going for it. It actually smells halfway decent, although the unescapable grassy funk of what seems to be a rice adjunct is present (this is all-malt, right!?). Other than that there's a slight malty grain aroma. Zero hops. This pretty much holds for the flavor, although the "adjunct" funk is a lot more apparent, and there's a teeny tiny bit of hop just barely imparting a hit of bitterness. All in all the flavor and aroma are similar, but the aroma is more subtle and thus better--or at least less unpleasant. When you can actually taste it, the unpleasantness becomes a lot more apparent. For an all-malt lager, there is a peculiar grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel is as bad as any beer I've ever had. Way overcarbonated and watery. Just gross. Drinkability, well, I'd rather have this than a Budweiser, but that's not saying a lot. If it's between this and water, I'll probably go with water.

ryanismean, Oct 17, 2006
2.9/5  rDev +9.8%

As bad a rap as A/B gets I was expecting worse from this beer. It i actually darker color than I expected and flavor is not repulsive.

Appearance: Pours a pale amber clear body with a white head a top. It did actually showcase some decent lacing. Nice.

Smell: Typical BMC grain smell with a hint of pale malt a dash cabbage scented hops, in an otherwise reserved nose.

Taste: Simple and straightforward flavor, as expected but with a pleasant hint of sweet maltyness and a decent smooth body. The malt and the bitter do balance nicely but the bitter barely has a hop flavor. Still, it is all average and pleasant until the aftertaste, which certainly put me back a bit.

Mouthfeel: very limited carbonation but creamy smooth all the same.

Drinkability: If you adjust to the offensive aftertaste or just drink it fast then you don't notice too much appalling character.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Oct 15, 2006
2.85/5  rDev +8%

Michelob came served in a pilsner, it was a typical pale yellow with almost no head. The aroma, well, it didn't smell like much. Adjunct predominates. Taste, well, there weren't any off flavors as such, just nothing special. Decent for lawnmower beer.

Drew966, Oct 09, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -9.8%

Not really much to this beer. A step above the BMC macro big ticket beers. but not much. This is really not a bad beer, just does not have any of the characteristics that I have found make a good or great beer. It will do for a beer in a restaurant before dinner when nothing better is available (which is how I had it) but not worth buying when there are better chioices.

kimcgolf, Sep 29, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a light gold with a thin head that immediately disappears to a thin ring.

The smell is of some husky grains with a touch of sweetness.

There's watery nothing in the nose. Hints of thin adjuncts emerge, but with no particular flavors.

The feel is of water with a slight lingering sweetness.

This is so thin that I would have thought it to be a macro light if I didn't know better. It's not completely undrinkable, but is ridiculously thin and almost tasteless.

jwc215, Sep 11, 2006
3.13/5  rDev +18.6%

As a macro brew this isn't too bad. Something of a light brown, amber color with thin head, which didn't stay long.
Smell of malt and biscuit, some hops but just barely.
Taste wasn't too bad, but nothing to write home about. More rye or grain tasting, little hops and some malt.
If you drink macros try this one.
Definitely drink this cold, as it tastes better that way. I

Mebuzzard, Sep 08, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

I was at a wedding recently and they had Bud, Coors Light, and this--so I decided to go with this. Slightly better than Bud, the smell was slightly fruity and the taste was dry. Good amount of carbonation, OK mouthfeel, and the drinkability was fair-good. This would be a good beer to have...at a wedding when the other choices are Bud and Coors Light.

oldirtycaffrey, Aug 22, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Michelob, another overrated lager.

A: Pours a very light yellow with a long lasting head, very unimpressive.

S: Smells average, little bit of a hoppy smell, with a bit of a spicy scent to it.

T: Little hop pressence, and a little off sweet but bearable to say the least. Below average.

M: The taste can make for a bad mouthfeel, although it is a tad bubbly.

D: Very drinkable despide the mouthfeel, goes down smooth and leaves a bit of a bad aftertaste.

I would only reccomend this to someone who this beer is beer like a bud light fan other than that, I wouldn't reccomend this to any real beer drinkers.

xtremejammn, Aug 02, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A surprisingly quite decent American macro lager, well decent as far as the standards that most American macro lager brewers set for themselves and the beers they brew, which are considered to be pretty low by most of us BA's here. Anyways, I got a bottle of this for free, but this is one of a very few American macro lagers that might actually be worth buying, but only if nothing else better is available at the time. This beer is actually a bit better than Bud, Miller, Labatt, Coors, etc. and that is surprising to me considering it is brewed by A-B. They should just brew this and quit brewing Bud and Busch altogether. Pours a medium gold color with almost zero head. What little head there was all but totally gone gone almost instantly, leaving little lacing. Although some trace of a head did stick around for quite awhile. Smells are of some grains and malt. Slightly sweet taste with some malt and perhaps a very faint trace of hops. A sligthly bitter aftertaste. Crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Finishes clean and is easy to drink. Nothing great from this beer, but not horrible my any means. A-B should market this as aggressively as it does Bud b/c this beer is certainly at least a little bit better. Better than I was expecting. In a way I feel this beer isn't living up to its full potential. It could become so much more than what it already is. All in all a decent beer but I won't feel deprived if I never drink it again either.

Eric

neenerzig, Jun 17, 2006
2.85/5  rDev +8%

The second A-B product offered to me at a week-end gathering...my host felt he was really doing me a favor sharing one of his favorite US import beer with me.

It poured with a bright gold color and a decent enough white cap. Moderate carbonation. Very little aroma aside from light whiffs of grains. smae light body an character as Budweiser except the weak malts are more defined in this beer...clean crisp finish, no aftertaste. and no "off" tastes either.

..fairly boring macro beer...not offensive but nothing unique either....a let down for all the hype about it being a super premium macro

pootz, May 23, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Never got around to reviewing this offering...
best choice at the local Conoco gas station, go for it.

Not much of a head, color is basic golden lager.

Smell- not perceptible; in keeping with US version of the style.

Taste is better than Bud- damning with feint praise.

A drinkable beer but hardly worth the upcharge from std AB fare.

This beer had a mystique and a unique bottle shape 20 years ago.
That is long gone.

brewQ, May 16, 2006
1.58/5  rDev -40.2%

I remember back when I was young and stupid (at least over the years one of those has changed), I thought Michelob was *the* brew. It was marketed as the
top of the A-B line, so I would drink it. Actually my father drank it so I would have it as well. In college I didn't spend the extra money on Mich, but we won't go there, its too painful to recall.

Anyway, appearance is golden almost clear in good lighting, I realize most lagers are light in color, but c'mon. Smell and taste are usually non-discernable, mainly because all A-B products are served ice-cold. The ads say its more refreshing cold, but its probably to mask the fact theat there is not really much in the way of flavor. Mouthfeel something like recently melted ice, drinkability: not. I realize we are not supposed to slam beers, but there are so many good tasting/looking/feeling lagers and pilsners out there that we should be honest, and honestly this beer is just not that good. I guess if I were to taste test all
Americal pilsner/lager types I might raise the score as a beer of this type, but
I tend to rate all styles together, so thus the low score.

ridedammit, May 01, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another of those "I thought I'd already rated it" beers. Any review of a American macro lager must be done in context of the field against which the beer competes. I won't hold Mich out as an example of a fine lager, but, as macro lagers go, it has more body and depth than most. A bit more emphasis on malt than most of AB's lagers, with a disconcerting but not overwhelming husky nature. Hopping is nondescript, but noticeably present and sufficient. Presents itself as a premium product, and manages to be adequate, which, perhaps, is all a macro lager can hope for.

Brent, Apr 14, 2006

Poured this brew into a goblet and the head was firm but dissapated quickly leaving minimal lacing. Yellow golden color with a fisome rising carbonation. Smell is like a honeydew but faint. Taste is bittersweet with a more sweet aftertaste but the finish is fruity and passes very quickly. Rather bland and uneventful. I can drink it if it's the best there is to offer. However, if weekends were made for Michelob I'll be quaffing my brews on weekdays.

mooseisloose, Mar 10, 2006
2.7/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Michelob Lager
12 oz brown bottle
December 08 2005 Born On Date
Served mainly out of the bottle and 8 oz juice glass for apperance

Pours a light yellow fizz. Looks like water and apple juice.

Whiffs of rotten fruit and grains.

Light and crisp mouthfeel with seltzer water carbonation. Sweet grains and corn. Dry rice flavors too. Rather bland overall, but there is a snappy hop finish mixed with an apple cider quality.

Decent.

Hibernator, Feb 09, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +15.5%

I've been drinking this beer since I was 2 so the smell is deeply ingrained in my mind. It pours with an okay head, but this stuff is completely clear and shiny. I would prefer the chill hase be left in myself, without it the beer looks very strange. Dark yellow. Smells like your typical AB lager, full of grain of some kind probably rice and corn. God I've never seen a more translucent beer than this! Strange mouthfeel, once it gets beyond the front of my mouth it doesn't even have a mouthfeel. No real aftertaste to speak of. It's a little strange to spend so much time on a macro american lager, but for some reason the image of Bud with better ingredients seemed interesting, plus it was free. Michelob... As with Budweis, AB steals the name of another Czech town. This stuff is so boring and mediocre I had a hard time even finishing the bottle. I think budweiser might even be better.

LordChesterfield, Jan 08, 2006
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer has a pale yellow color and is clear. Well carbonated and fizzy.

Smell and is generally unremarkable. Perfect for drinking from a can or bottle.

The taste is light, watery, unremarkable. Perfect for drinking from a can or bottle, especially if you are thirsty.

The paper wrapper about the throat of the bottle makes one feel this is an above average beer. It's not.

RJLarse, Jan 08, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +15.5%

Received as a Christmas gift as part of the Michelob Mix-Pack.

This is my father's favorite beer, about the only thing he'll drink. If all beer tasted like this, well... I probably wouldn't be a beer drinker today. But I remember getting a taste of it when I was a kid and thinking "blech" even then... although it was for far different reasons than I might think so today.

Poured cold into a pint glass -- it creates a thick white smooth head and a dark yellow/orange body. Transparent and clean -- pretty much perfect appearance to-style.

Nose is strong on the malt presence, a touch of hops deep in the background. Very neutral, not much here to absorb through the aroma at all.

Sweet, bready up-front with slight corn aftertaste. No hop bitterness to be detected here; really just a very simple macro lager. A bit more "kick" to the malt than many macro lagers, but nothing too special.

Overall mouthfeel is slightly thicker than a Bud, but again nothing to get excited about. Average.

This is reasonably drinkable. If not reviewing, I'd probably have just consumed it straight from the bottle. Better than many macros, but nothing a beer geek should actively seek out.

danielharper, Jan 02, 2006
2.88/5  rDev +9.1%

12 oz brown bottle with a "Born On Date" freshness date on the label.

A- Sizable head off of a hard pouring, the head seems to stay around for a while. Bright straw hue shimmers in the light.

S- Not much off of the aroma, a little grain ... that is about it.

T&M- Thin maltiness, light body with a feigned dextrin mouth feel. Semi-crisp with an odd bitty slickness on the mouth. A trained hop bitterness barks out only a small yet balancing bite. Odd finish as it wanted to be sweet but it really ended up very dry.

D- Not a horrible premium American lager it missed its mark totally for any kind of substantial flavor. But that is what a macro-lager is right? It does not live up to its manly advertisements in Playboy back in the 1970's.

Jason, Dec 29, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +29.9%

You can't mess w/ Michelob. Its my dad's drink for god's sake. If you haven't had one, get one immediately. It is what it is, but please try it. Gotta love the Michelob. No need for a real review. It has a slight bitterness to it and can have a little bit of an aftertaste. Not the best beer in the world, but better than budweiser, for god's sake.

willgro, Dec 25, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a dull, but crystal clear golden amber with a poorly retained white head tha leaves no lace whatsoever. Mostly a moderate grain aroma in the nose, with very subtle hints of honey and alcohol. The taste includes dissapointingly mild traces of caramel, grain, very slight alcohol, and a barely detectable hop flavor. A nearly non-existent finish with a thin mouthfeel and very little carbonation. Not recommended.

arguemaniac, Dec 02, 2005
2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Picked this up in a 12-pack of 6 Michelob varieties... unusual that there's only one other review. I assumed this was the standard Michelob.

Pours out pale pale crystal clear gold, with a thin layering of foam across the top and some, though not much, lacing. Aroma is faintly grainy, barely detectable. Very clean taste, with neutral, slightly sweet grain and barely perceptable hops, though just enough bitterness to keep the sweetness at bay. Finishes dry. Light bodied with average carbonation.

Better than most mass-produced American lagers, in that there are no off-flavors. There's not much good either.

allengarvin, Nov 29, 2005