Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 968 | Reviews: 359
3.33/5  rDev +25.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a perfect golden color with a plethora of bubbles rising through the beer and a thin bubbly head. Smell is malty sweet; a slight amber-ness about it. The taste isn't bad, but not spectacular. I do applaud AB for going back to their all-malt formula and for reviving the sexier bottle. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and finishes very smooth. Overall, this beer isn't anything to get too excited about but it is a step in the right direction for American Macros.

2.02/5  rDev -23.8%

I heard through the grape-vine that they had managed to polish a turd on this one. I wasn't expecting something impossible from Bud, don't get me wrong. All I was expecting was something that could go toe-to-toe with the European mega-imports like Carlsburg, Grolsch, Heinekin, and such.

Wow. This guy does not compete. The yeast that they use, that must be it. There is something routinely offensive about these beers, and I'm pretty sure that is it. Beers like Tona and Heinekin have a fruit-loop like taste to them and Grolsch has a tart finish, So, I'm not necessarily opposed to having little 'extras' in my clean tasting lager . . . but this beer doesn't suit me.

Watery and off.

That is how I feel about it. Man, don't get me wrong, this is better than Bud Light (though it is roughly on par with Bud) but this isn't an impressive beer outside of that rough comparison.

2.06/5  rDev -22.3%

I tried the new bottle style.There are noble hops in this recipe.The reason why I tried this beer is because it was free.

Very clear golden body.With a two finger head.Sparse carbonation.
The head fell fast.

Bready malt and some corn smell.Same taste as the smell.

Verythin mouthful and sorda no taste at all.Very bland.

Goes down very easy.Apeals to the masses but not to me.Bad beer.

I cant see myself drinking this beer again since I drink micros now.It was very bland and boring.

3.1/5  rDev +17%

Pours to a thin white head that sticks around and pale golden color. Aroma is very clean and light with malt sweetness evident. Flavor is very bland: there is some slight maltiness but for what is now being touted as an "all malt lager" it lacks the malt character you would find in its European counterparts. Finishes clean and much like a top-notch American lager. Drinks like water--it lacks flavor but is well-made nonetheless.

3.07/5  rDev +15.8%

At $7 this brew was originally too much for what it is, but when my store dropped the price to $5, it was time to give it a try.
Color's solid. No complaints. I poured 2 bottles into my Weihenstephan mug and it looks pretty authentic to me. Darker than a pils, slightly lighter than a helles or export.
Smell's kind of sweet, but not really strong. No hops in the smell at all. So much for this being a hoppier offering from AB.
Taste is fine. No complaints. Reminds me of a helles that's been watered down to be honest. It's just a little too mild in all areas. It's not as sweet as a normal Bud, but the hops need to be more present. Right now it's just a slightly maltier macro.
Mouthfeel is light. I actually think the older Michelob might've had more body. This one has a head the forms quickly and a minute later the carbonation is gone.
I poured the equivalent of 2 bottles on a moderately warm day, and after about 2/3 of it, I was done. It might make a decent lawnmower beer, especially with the carbonation leaving quickly.
It's better than most macros, but no by much. It feels like there's a good beer in there trying to escape, but it just feels watered down.
At $5 for a 6-pack, it's better than most items from the big 3. However it's still no match for any craft or (fresh) German lagers I can recall offhand.

This was poured from the bottle into a pilsner flute. It has a clear straw color with a thick head that settles into a thin lace. The aroma is slightly malty with a faint trace of hops. The flavor is a slightly sweet malt with a touch of noble hops; mostly noted subtly on the finish. As it warms, some alcohol notes are apparent. It has a medium-light body with moderately high carbonation.

Overall, this is a decent 'average' beer. This is an excellent for a multi-national company like A-B. I typically buy this beer for grilling brats and I don't mind the leftovers so much. It's decent thirst quencher. Also, if this is available in almost every bar in America, that's not a bad thing.

2.95/5  rDev +11.3%

I bought a 1/2 barrel of this yesterday for an older crowd that wasn't ready to learn about the wonders of craft brewing for my historical society's annual square dance. I thought the Michelob was a safe bet and a step up on its cousin Bud as the crowd was consuming large plates of beans, fried chicken, bbq ribs, and mixed greens.

I had tapped the keg with a splash of foam before leaving it iced down for the forthcoming dinner. After returning from a show to find the square dance in full swing, I poured my self a generous pint of Michelob. It looked okay, smelled slightly of barley, and eventually tasted okay. The taste had a slight rolling quality to it that evened out as it got warmer. This was not the Michelob of my teenage years, but it was harmless.

The crowd consumed the Michelob without much thought and I had at least 7 pints of the beer to help them kick the keg. Some of this same crowd will be at my Halloween party where they will be floored by Sixpoint Ales and then they will not miss the Michelob, other than a passing taste.

2.95/5  rDev +11.3%

This is a very drinkable macro-lager. It pours alight godlen straw and has alot of grain in the nose as well as some hopiness but very faint. The taste is very suprising for a macro its very malty and grainny and pleasent. A very good refreshing beer that quenches the thisrst of summer grilling.

3.38/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: The pour is light gold with plenty of head for a lager.

Smell: The nose is mainly grains with sweet granny smith apples and a bit of hops. It's a little too mushed together to be a really nice aroma.

Taste: Pale malts up front, crisp hoppy finish. What's not to like?

Mouthfeel: It's crisp with good carbonation.

Drinkability: A-B done good with this one.

3.42/5  rDev +29.1%

This is a pretty good All-Malt Lager. The taste was obviously very big on the sweet malts. It wasn't sparse. The taste was sweet, thick and full. Like a hint of bread with a lot of rice ... or maybe Chex Mix. The rest of the beer was good too. It was nice and foamy but not overly carbonated. The beer also had good drinkability. I was able to crack one open and take a good long chug. However, it is expensive. And just being above average doesn't warrant an expensive price tag. Oh well, it isn't like I bought it this time. It is the best All-Malt I've ever had. The last time I had it I was pretty drunk. Plus, this time I haven't had a (good) brew in a while.

3.32/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours out of the nifty looking brown curved bottle a clear golden straw colour. very thin head supported by medium carbonation. thin lace. surprising aroma of malty fruitiness...some husky graininess and a ghost like hop aroma. one of the nicest smelling mass produced lagers i've had in awhile. light on taste...typical A-B flavours...like budweiser without the creaminess. grainy and malty...husky flavours. i'm comparing to this bud, and it's hard to tell the difference...mich is definitely a grainier version of the the A-B standard. maybe heartier is a better description. anyway...the mouthfeel is fullish...and the body is deceptively light yet well rounded. drinkability is good because it just tastes good and is refreshing. i like the extra flavours it imparts compared to the rest of the macro counterparts. and i'm impartial of the "high end" reputation.

the all malt version of michelob is a blur between the lines of bud and other full flavoured offerings from A-B. not worth paying any more than bud.

2.73/5  rDev +3%

Out of all the AB products I have always been partial to Michelob. I don't know if its just the premium pricing, or because I felt "better" drinking it over bud light when younger. I could swear up and down that its over all a better product then bud light, but anymore its hard to tell the difference.

2 finger head that quickly drops to a foamy coating. Smells bland, nothing complex about it. Tastes over all sweet and boring, but not horrible. Good mouthfeel, although very carbonated.

Easy to drink! Thats got to be the best attribute. When very hot outside its so light in body and flavor that you could throw back a sixer of these no problem.

Overall everything about this takes me back a handful of years, which is why I most likely still favor this over any other AB product.

3.77/5  rDev +42.3%

new hourglass bottle (all malt)

A- golden, fizzy, 1 finger white, surprisingly little retent, crystal clear

S- clean, malts, doughy

T- doughy malt flavor, fairly balanced (though bit in sweet side), sweet bread after, herbal, mellow

M- light bodied, smooth, nice carbonation level

D- simple and tasty sessionable lager, not a brew i would ever crave, but this is where i now point people who are trying to break into better beer. wish it was little less sweet though

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Pale, fizzy-looking body with what appears to be a lot of carbonation and a thin, unexciting head.

Grainy, stale smell with corn husks and a touch of sweetness.

Extraordinarily watery in taste (or lack thereof), almost like club soda. Faintly cracker-y and, well, that's about it. Doesn't taste bad but it really doesn't taste like anything.

Thin up front and then slightly astringent on the finish. Not doing it for me. This is certainly not the worst tasting beer I've had but there's absolutely nothing good about it either. I could see drinking this in lieu of water after mowing the lawn.

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bowling pin bottle. Gold foil label, born on date. All malt. I like the return to the old style, and all malt - hopefully the beer is improved as well.

Appearance: Pale gold, crystal clear and a bit bubbly. Better than average head, a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Clean malt and just the faintest whiff of noble hops - but the aroma is barely there.

Taste: Clean and drinkable - certainly not complex or deep, but it does seem better than average for macro.

Overall impression: Still not a thrilling beer - but this one doesn't have the adjunct flavors of many macro offerings. I would put this a step above many other BMC offerings right now.

2.8/5  rDev +5.7%

I paid more for this than Budweiser... why?? I thought I'd give this a try solely because of the high rating on this site. I thought I might find a compromise here between high priced imports/microbrews and cheap American trash. Unfortunately, Budweiser still seems like a better product in my opinion.

As with most AML's, I left this in the bottle. No use pouring it. Most people don't like the appearance of AML's anyway because of the faint, straw yellow color, so it seems like leaving it in the bottle adds to the experience.

No real smell.

Tasted watery and faint like most AMLs. Unlike Budweiser, a little bit of skunk was present. It tasted like I was drinking an Icehouse. Offensive and disappointing.

Not worth the "few pennies more" they used to sing about in their commercials. I knew I should have stuck with Budweiser. Next time I will.

2.37/5  rDev -10.6%

Decided to bite the bullet and keep from being hypocritical (and hyper critical) about giving a big brewer a chance.

Well, while the new All Malt (don't they malt corn and rice too?) Michelob has a nice color and head, it's all around pretty bland. I guess A-B would call it "inoffensive," and that it certainly is.

There is some faint Hallertauer hoppiness in the nose, but no malt. The initial flavor is not - it's water-like, then a grainy aftertaste follows through and some slight bitterness in the finish. This beer will never be confused with a good Bavarian Helles - it could never be confused with Heineken, for that matter. The graininess is far from good Pilsner or Munich malt flavor.

The body is thin, the mouthfeel spritzy without being over the top carbonated - but not quite as soft as double-decoction will make a beer.

Completely unimpressed with the new incarnation of this beer, but who knows? Maybe A-B is taking small steps and we'll be able to watch this beer evolve into something?

2.21/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours a light golden color with a large head that fades fast. Aroma- slight cereal grain along with some faint citrusy notes, otherwise not much else. Taste was equally unexciting. Slight malt character in the flavor and lots of sweet lemony notes and also that cooked vege taste that reminds me of every other American style macro lager. Also, hop flavor was not noticeable in the least. If this is supposed to be all-malt, AB must not have used much of it. Mouthfeel was light and watery. I'd have to say the drinkability was pretty good though. On a warm late winter day it was easy to drink.

3.19/5  rDev +20.4%

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I have been saying that AB changed Michelob's receipe when they changed to the longneck bottle. It got too sweet and yuck! But hey, I had one of the new ones in the rocket bottles at my Dad's and I'll say, it is back to being a good macro beer. No micro, but excellent for a macro. Smell is average, the appearance is awful and pissy yellow, but tastes good, nothing offensive. Not bad.

2.35/5  rDev -11.3%

Appears a very light yellow in color, with a small off white head that dissolves right away. Moderate to light in carbonation and bubbles. No hop aroma, in fact very little smell at all. Mouthfeel is somewhat bland to me, with no bite when drinking and no bitterness whatsoever. A classic "lawnmover beer", one of the many mass produced american beers. I got this in a gift box and drank it just for a quick drink, nothing I would buy when out on the town.

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours out a pale gold to almost straw body with a thin head that soon becomes a ring of bubbles. Bubbles are scant in the body. Smells an awful lot like an adjunct lager with all the harsh grain in the nose. Sweet nose. Faint malts. Taste is a mix of malt and grain with grain showing more muscle. There is a faint bitterness in the finish. Finally I get some half-decent bready malt in the aftertaste. Body is kind of sticky and oily in a way. Pricks the tongue too much considering the lack of bubbles in the appearance. I'm just not impressed with this and reminds me of a poor Mexican lager. I'll take a Bohemia over this anyday.

2.93/5  rDev +10.6%

ABs marketing is uneven, to say the least. Most of their commercials totally suck--some even make me ashamed to be a male and a beerdrinker--but then, last year, they started showing entire commercials from the early 60s. That was cool as shit. Then they started packaging Bud in paper sixers in replica cans from the early 60s. Also, cool as shit.

After years of exclusively chasing after the lowest common denominator, it seems as if AB has recognized a new target market: people who know how to breathe through their noses. This is reflected in their recent line of seasonal beers meant to emulate craft brews, and in their new, "adult" image of Michelob. The bottle's made to appeal to 28-38 year old professionals with its sleek lettering and womanly shape. The appeal to jaded twentysomethings like myself is incidental--we remember pounding the lava lamp bottles back in high school and AB must have known that we couldn't have resisted picking up a sixer of the rerelease.

Dark gold champagney bubbles with a tiny but retentive head.

Smells of deep grain without any hints of adjunct. The grain isn't weedy or flowery, it's actually pretty bland. Not bad, actually nice and crisp, but nothing close to impressive.

Tastes very much like it smells. Very crisp grainy graininess, no adjunct. Not cheap grain, but not exactly complex and tasty grain. The hops are only a dry little snip at the end.

Gone is the crappy AB aftertaste and in its place is nothing else of note. This is probably a step up from the old recipe of Michelob--I can't really remember what that was like--but it's still not that great.

Like AB's other attempts at classiness, this one is rather half-assed.

3.35/5  rDev +26.4%

This is the all malt brew. Born on date 7-Feb-07.

Pours a light golden color with nary any head at all. Aroma is very clean and neutral. No cooked veggies, not much of anything really.

Taste is very clean, short lived on the palate. Slightly sweet maltiness is balanced by a light hoppiness that comes out in the finish. Tingly carbonation seems appropriate for this brew. Mouthfeel is somewhere between thin and medium. Actually not a bad brew, I think it would be a good accompaniment to pizza or some good bbq.

2.7/5  rDev +1.9%

A medium yellow color, with a light foamy head that dissipates quickly. The carbonation remains throughout. I can best describe the smell as "flat". Taste is no surprise compared to any other american macro lager. Light to medium bodied. I wouldn't turn this beer away, but I wouldn't crave it either.

3.55/5  rDev +34%

"New, all malt Michelob Lager.
Love the bottle by the way.
Pours the same p&* yellow with small head that melts very fast to nothing. Steady stream of carbonation from the bottom however.
Aroma is a clean, fresh lager...more than what is, would be what isn't in this beer. No adjunct smells...no corn...no rice....no funk...no skunk (sulpher).
Mouthfeel is tingly from the tiny carbonation and slightly buttery.
Taste is on the thin side....still, it's a very light lager with none of the offensive big macro qualities. There is hops to refresh and malt to sweeten...just not enough of either to stand out or be remembered.
Good summer brew when your mind is on something else.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Michelob (Original Lager) from Anheuser-Busch