Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.

(Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob (Original Lager) Alström Bros
1.8/5  rDev -32.1%

Today is a fine day for Macro Smackdown VI. This will be yet another slugfest between Anheuser-Busch (Michelob) and Miller (Red Dog). This beer comes in the fancy new bottle-shaped can, while its competitor will be disgorged from the standard aluminum can; and a great looking, boldly colored can it is. Points right off the bat to Red Dog for the superior container, although it won't be reflected in the final score. And there's the opening bell...

Bright yellow-gold, accent on yellow. While Michelob is more pale than Red Dog, it isn't a bad hue given the style. The cap is brilliant white, displays pearl-like bubbles on its upper surface and is acceptably persistent. It looks a hell of a lot better than its competitor's head, that's for sure. There's no lace other than a stunted collar that follows the beer down the glass.

The nose, while semi-nasty, is tolerable. It smells like husky grain with a mild whiff of flowery hops. Thankfully, it isn't very powerful. Another win for Michelob.

This isn't good beer. The graininess is rampant and is too harsh and unrefined to score any points with me. I can't detect even a hint of hops, which makes me wonder if I smelled them. Michelob falls on the dry side of the sweet-dry continuum (as do quite a few A-B beers), which hurts it in my eyes.

The mouthfeel is light, lighter, (not quite) lightest. There are no differences between the two beers other than the fact that this one is mildly carbonated and Red Dog is slightly more vigorously carbonated. I prefer more carbonation in this particular case, but not enough for the scores to be different.

Michelob strikes me as lousy beer, even for a macro lager. I remember drinking this stuff in my late teens (okay, mid-teens) when I thought it was a special treat, a step or two above the usual. Well it isn't. In fact, I can't even pick it over a lesser known macro with a big red bulldog on the can. I'm beginning to realize that I prefer Miller products over A-B products. However, it's only in a 'lesser of two evils' kind of way.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 27, 2005
2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

I found this beer buried in my fridge tonight. Now how did that get in there? Oh yeah... it's left over from my curiosity purchase (from the article about Chef Todd English "beer slut". I have no review of this? Well, it is within 110 days of the born on date, so why not. Why not? Here's why:

Appearance: Pours into a pilsner glass, yellow/gold, clear, plenty of little bubbles dance through the fluid. Big, fluffy/foamy white head forms, and falls back in on itself. Small ring around the glass, no lacing. Perfectly typical macro, this beer's best feature.

Smell: Virtually none. Some malt/grain/adjunct aroma. Where are the all the imported hops?

Taste: A little sweet, with the malty/grainy taste. Hint of bitterness on the finish as this warms, but then the taste turns foul. Maybe not as adjuncty as Bud, but still not even comparable to good craft beer, even a craft "macro" imitation.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and crisp, well carbonated.

Drinkability: This is supposed to be the high end AB product. Vastly overpriced IMO. I'll stick to Bud.

BigRedN, Aug 25, 2005
3.2/5  rDev +20.8%

poured a medium yellow color with large white head. Smell is slightly of hops with a background sweetness. Taste is light with a bit of maltiness but little if any hops detected. Refeshing in the mouth but nothing to get excited about. If you want an American Macro lager, go cheap. This costs too much.

tgbljb, Jul 27, 2005

Pours golden with a quickly fading head. has a slightly malt smell, and thats about all you can taste as well, but not overpowering. Good carbonation and lacing, so it's fairly drinkable, but nothing that sets it apart from any other american macro.

PBRstreetgang, Jul 10, 2005

Poured a 2 finger white head over a very pale tan crystal clear liquid. Smells faintly of munich malt, but mostly of metalic floral saaz hops. Tastes creamy sweet with some mild metalic hop bitter. Pretty mild in flavor. The malt sweet is crisp and clean, like a lager. A hint of munich malt quality. I'm actually surprised at the amount of floral hop in the late swallow. Much more than I was expecting from a macro beer. Light body and light carbonation. Carbonation is good for the style, as it does not add any acrid foul to the beer that needs to be smooth.

mentor, May 29, 2005
2.1/5  rDev -20.8%

Had both the bottled version and the aluminum bottled version... yeah. Well anyway, Pale yellow with a fizzy head that lasts longer than many macros, still no lacing.

Smells less offensive, but in the sense that less offensive is still more offensive than good. Slighy rotten grain and water, nothing else.

Smoother tasting than BMC main beers, and a bit fuller but still lacking any REAL malt flavor or hop bittereness. Goes down alright though.

If you run low on money and this is the choice between BMC, go with this, but not if you can help it.

KoG, May 25, 2005
2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

This may very well be the best brew that AB makes. Pours out to a solid golden color, with a decent head that hangs around for a few moments before bubbling away. Medium carbonation, and scents of hops and barely are noted. Flavor is of your typcial lager, but a bit strong on the flavor of corn. Finished a bit watery, but had a decent aftertaste of malt. Worth a try, but there are far better lagers out there at a fraction of the price.

Frozensoul327, May 15, 2005
2.53/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Quite clear medium golden color with a small snow-white head, which retains well, lots of broken lace, and a small amount of carbonation.

Aroma: Slightly sweet, crisp malt light malt aroma and the usual adjuncts, with little hop presence.

Taste: Lightly sweet at the opening, somewhat like sweet corn, this carries throughout. There are minor notes of hop bitterness midway through the taste, finishes with a hint of metallic bitterness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, not unpleasant, but thin overall.

Drinkability/notes: Overall, a lawnmower beer - not offensive, just bland and indifferent.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve ounce brown glass longneck with a twist off crown, served in a standard tap glass.

Pegasus, May 04, 2005

Light bodied, light amber color with a short lived white head. The aroma is mild grain and malt with just a slight touch of hops.

The flavor is along the same lines. mild sweet malt, corn flakes, and just enough hops to balnce.

Decently drinkable and refreshing.

Not particularly "interesting" but it will definitely do the job on a hot day with just about any food.

whynot44, Apr 29, 2005
2.28/5  rDev -14%

This is the first time that I’ve had a Michelob in years. I remember thinking that this was a first-class beer, and drinking it from tall pilsner glasses. It was the late 80’s and I was a high-rolling, sophisticated beer drinker [sic].
Today, I’m trying to approach this brew from an objective point of view. It’s absolutely clear, a brilliant yellow-gold color, and has a fizzy, white head. It sure is one highly carbonated, effervescent beer. The aroma is faintly hoppy, grassy, and grainy. There’s a bit more hops than most macro brews, but their not worth getting excited about. It’s crisp, carbonic, and has a distinct dry taste. Continental hop flavor and finish. The brew is fairly watery, but other then that, there’s nothing offensive. Actually, it’s an uninteresting everyday brew…probably a little better than most, but I’d grab a lot of other brews before settling on this one.

Suds, Apr 24, 2005
3.28/5  rDev +23.8%

I miss those crazy old bottles...new labels again for this beer.

Appearance-radiant golden color, barely any head, what is there is whispy and fizzy. Clarity is passable, no lace.

Smell-some grains are detectable, corn and rice, barley aroma, no real strong hop or malt influence.

Taste-fuller than I expected, grainy hop lingering on the toungue, crisp and slightly malty, exceptionally smooth.

Mouthfeel-smooth when going down, light grainy aftertaste, smooth and crisp as a lager should be.

Drinkability-as easy to drink as any lager you'll find, you can have as many as you like. More flavorful than many other adjunct lagers.

Overall-while many macro lagers look fine and taste bad this lager is the opposite, it looks bad and tastes fairly good. I'll take the latter anyday. While it is an AB product and a macro, Michelob manages to have much more flavor than most macros and thus, when at a sub-standard bar, it will do in a pinch. Deserves credit for its flavor and while it won't change the world and is by no means a top notch beer (or even lager) its passable.

TheDeuce, Apr 19, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz brown bottle with clear born on date.

The beer pours a very light gold with a decent initial head. A bit of lacing.

I can pick-up a bit of hops and some grain in the nose. Not horrible by any means.

Slight initial vegetable taste. There is a little malt/grain sweetness but unfortunately the hops recede far into the background. Taste seems washed out and unfinished.

While the beer has decent carbonation, it is very thin. Drinkablity is just ok.
I had higher hopes for AB’s super premium but the beer’s taste could not live up to even its modest look and smell. Horrible, no, just not something I would search out.

Thanks to whomever left this at my St. Patrick’s Day party, I think….

Redrover, Apr 15, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a slightly pleasant golden straw with a foamy white head that actually retains!!! Still a fizzy yellow beer though.

Smells like cooked veggies and some grain. Faint aroma of "hops?"

Tastes mildly grainy/metallic with virtually no hop presence and an aftertaste that is mildly astringent.

Thin bodied mouthfeel with adequate to overcarbonation.

Drinkability suffers from that grainy harshness with a touch of skunk or something. Gets worse as it goes down.

beersarang, Apr 11, 2005
1.63/5  rDev -38.5%

12 oz bottle. Born on Date 1/25/05. I bought this because I was short on cash, and it was on sale.
Pours clear golden, with a fizzy eggshell white head that lasted about 3 seconds. No lacing.
Lots of artificial carbonation.
Smells of grain and skunk.
Palate is thin and watery, and flavor is, is, well not there. Sugary corn syrup and cereal grain.
Finish was sticky sweet and grainy.
Every once in a while you have to drink swill to really appreciate the good stuff, and this is definitely swill.
But it is what it is, like a $5 bottle of wine, you get what pay for, and at $4.99 for a 6 pack I got what I paid for. Good for a Macro, but I'd rather be drinking something else.

Padron4KM, Apr 09, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +9.4%

This is a decent macro lager. Pours a slightly darker than yellow piss color. Close to a cider I guess. Decent head holds up and some bubbles. Aroma actually has a hoppiness to it and a strong grainy flavor. Taste follows. It is on the bland side but I've had much blander macro lagers. There's no real off flavors and the finish is super clean. There's a biting, acidic kick right before the finish and then nothing. Too clean for my liking. Not worth the price and nothing too great about this beer but its better than most other American macros.

granger10, Mar 20, 2005
2.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Man, what can I say? This ranks up with Labatt for most boring beer in HISTORY.

Michelob has some cereal grains, thin maltiness, noticable corny-ness, and I have no clue where the imported hops are.

The beer lacks character and flavor.

WEAK, very very weak

maek228, Mar 09, 2005
2.42/5  rDev -8.7%

I hadn't drunk a Mick in years, but bought a 12-pack 'cause it was on sale. I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed. I mean, this is supposed to be the "premium" beer from the America's largest brewer. Surely they could do better!

Nothing about this beer is exceptional, although nothing is really horrible either. It pours out thin, with a beigy head that dissipates quickly. Not much smell. Taste is "distant" and subdued, kind of like Bud Lite. Drinkability is average.

So, overall, I have to give Michelob a "thumbs down." It's better than no beer at all, but that's about all I can say for it.

DFN, Feb 03, 2005

Brown 12 oz twisty with a born on date of 04NOV04. Notes “All imported hops”. You know, we grow hops here….
Aroma: First whiff had me concerned. Got some strong cardboard smells, but that seemed to clear off. Now there is just a definite adjunct smell, something like corn.
Appearance: Clear close to the point of invisibility. I can read print through the glass (even though it’s backwards). A white head turned into a thin collar in just seconds.
Flavor: Yeasty finish after, um, taste? Just not much to note. Minor sweetness and some more adjunct flavors, corn or rice I guess. Has a harsh end note, like yeast gone bad.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, fizzy, fairly dry.
Overall Impression: Ugh. Macrobrew. There just isn’t any going back to drinking this stuff. Positive notes, dry (crisp?), and although I don’t find it so, I could see others thinking it easy to drink and refreshing. I’m not going to finish this one however.

HardTarget, Jan 19, 2005
3.08/5  rDev +16.2%

I have to admit... I have a bit of a bias toward Michelob as it was my beer of choice through the last half of the 70's, through the 80's, and well into the 90's... well before I discovered better beer. I drank it then because I thought it was smoother than Bud and tasted better than Coors. The fact that it had a slightly classier image than the other mainstream beers probably didn't hurt either. Michelob pours light gold and absolutely clear. The white head was small and didn't last very long at all. Aroma is very light. Taste is lightly malty with a bit of sweetness, with a tiny bit of hop bitterness on the finish and a tangy aftertaste. Nothing offensive, and no off flavors. Body is watery and fizzy. Very easy to drink... I could drink these all night long (and have on many occasions.)

jimdkc, Jan 10, 2005
3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

Straw colored with a low white head and nice constant carbonation. Light cooked-corn aroma and taste; no hops apparent and not much else but not unpleasant. Light bodied with a crisp dry finish.

Above average for the standard macro crowd but from memory I actually preferred Michelob Light...

Per Label: "All Imported Hops"

Per A-B website: "a high percentage of two-row barley malt"

Born On: 10/23/04
Tasted: 12/19/04

RBorsato, Dec 21, 2004
2.53/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12/20/04- Consumed at a relatives house over the weekend.

Appearance- Average foam head. dark yellow pour and zippo lacing.

Smell- Smells like bud. Is this rice or corn or what? Grain? Not sure, but it's not that good.

Taste- Thought someone replaced the label with bud. Has that sickly grain or corn or whatever it is macro taste. It would be fine if I was a six pack in, but unfortunately this was the first beer of the night.

Mouthfeel- Very waterey and carbonated at the same time. Getting a gas attack.

Drinkability- Wish I would have brought my own beer. Hey at leastI get to rate it! Trying to figure out if that's bad or good though in this case.

GClarkage, Dec 20, 2004
2.45/5  rDev -7.5%

What do you really say about these macrobrews. I mean, who wants to come on BA and check the reviews for michelob??? anyway.... beer comes out at a light golden color, nothing special. Small head quickly goes away. Body is fuller than bud, but not that good. taste seem to be a little sweeter to me like corn syrup compared to other macros. overall i think ok for the price.... drinkable to get drunk off of. plus i like it more because it seems to be less popular than budweiser, coors or miller.

acrawf6, Dec 03, 2004
2.8/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a very pale, straw-like color. I'd tell you more about the head, but I blinked and it was gone!

Faint smell of hops and malt. That's it.

The taste is more or less like Bud but with maybe slightly more character. Some rice in the aftertaste...I prefer that in a side dish. I can certainly vouch for the AB freshness though.

Carbonation is a bit hard at first but the finish is smooth.

Yeah, it's drinkable as most macros are, but there are many macros that can suit this purpose at a lower price.

DPMomutant, Dec 02, 2004
2.03/5  rDev -23.4%

This beer pours golden and clear with very little aroma at all, maybe a hint of its claim of all imported hops. The taste is lacking everything that makes a beer good. The mouthfeel is similar to drinking a gingerale( you would be better off drinking one!). The beer is easy to drink but I wouldn't bother.

Kookiekwan, Nov 17, 2004
3.1/5  rDev +17%

Well, here I go reviewing an AB product. This is my first time drinking Mickey since I turned 21 and learned what beer was. I ran out of new stuff to try where I live so I'm just drinking this to review it.

Appearance - Crystal Effing Clear. This stuff barely has any color to it at all. Faint yellow maybe. Couldn't they at least make it yellow?

Smell - I smell this and think "Oh yeah, that's what I used to remember whenever I thought of what beer smelled like" which is adjunct and not much of anything else.

Taste - What is that? Corn, rice? I don't know. I haven't ever reviewed an adjunct laden macro, let alone drank one that was warmed up enough to taste, so I"m pretty inexperienced at describing adjunct character. Not much flavor to it. Completely inoffensive. I"m sure that's exactly what they were going for. I'll give it a three because it doesn't trigger my gag reflex. I suppose that's status quo for the style.

Mouthfeel - What moutfeel? I feel like I'm drinking a glass of cold water. But, this is macroswill, so I guess that means average.

Drinkability. For anyone whose fallback brew is something with a decent amount of body and flavor, which is probably most BA's, this has a drinkability of 5. You can imbibe this like bottled water. Not something I'll ever purchase again, though. When I'm in the mood for bland macro, I'll take PBR or High Life any day of the week, thank you very much.

moocey, Oct 28, 2004