Michelob (Original Lager) - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

poor

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.

(Beer added by: Shiloh on 11-28-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob (Original Lager) Alström Bros
granger10

Wisconsin

2.9/5  rDev +9.4%

This is a decent macro lager. Pours a slightly darker than yellow piss color. Close to a cider I guess. Decent head holds up and some bubbles. Aroma actually has a hoppiness to it and a strong grainy flavor. Taste follows. It is on the bland side but I've had much blander macro lagers. There's no real off flavors and the finish is super clean. There's a biting, acidic kick right before the finish and then nothing. Too clean for my liking. Not worth the price and nothing too great about this beer but its better than most other American macros.

03-20-2005 22:44:50 | More by granger10
maek228

2.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Man, what can I say? This ranks up with Labatt for most boring beer in HISTORY.

Michelob has some cereal grains, thin maltiness, noticable corny-ness, and I have no clue where the imported hops are.

The beer lacks character and flavor.

WEAK, very very weak

03-09-2005 01:56:11 | More by maek228
DFN

2.42/5  rDev -8.7%

I hadn't drunk a Mick in years, but bought a 12-pack 'cause it was on sale. I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed. I mean, this is supposed to be the "premium" beer from the America's largest brewer. Surely they could do better!

Nothing about this beer is exceptional, although nothing is really horrible either. It pours out thin, with a beigy head that dissipates quickly. Not much smell. Taste is "distant" and subdued, kind of like Bud Lite. Drinkability is average.

So, overall, I have to give Michelob a "thumbs down." It's better than no beer at all, but that's about all I can say for it.

02-03-2005 01:13:17 | More by DFN
HardTarget

Brown 12 oz twisty with a born on date of 04NOV04. Notes “All imported hops”. You know, we grow hops here….
Aroma: First whiff had me concerned. Got some strong cardboard smells, but that seemed to clear off. Now there is just a definite adjunct smell, something like corn.
Appearance: Clear close to the point of invisibility. I can read print through the glass (even though it’s backwards). A white head turned into a thin collar in just seconds.
Flavor: Yeasty finish after, um, taste? Just not much to note. Minor sweetness and some more adjunct flavors, corn or rice I guess. Has a harsh end note, like yeast gone bad.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, fizzy, fairly dry.
Overall Impression: Ugh. Macrobrew. There just isn’t any going back to drinking this stuff. Positive notes, dry (crisp?), and although I don’t find it so, I could see others thinking it easy to drink and refreshing. I’m not going to finish this one however.

01-19-2005 02:12:56 | More by HardTarget
jimdkc

Missouri

3.08/5  rDev +16.2%

I have to admit... I have a bit of a bias toward Michelob as it was my beer of choice through the last half of the 70's, through the 80's, and well into the 90's... well before I discovered better beer. I drank it then because I thought it was smoother than Bud and tasted better than Coors. The fact that it had a slightly classier image than the other mainstream beers probably didn't hurt either. Michelob pours light gold and absolutely clear. The white head was small and didn't last very long at all. Aroma is very light. Taste is lightly malty with a bit of sweetness, with a tiny bit of hop bitterness on the finish and a tangy aftertaste. Nothing offensive, and no off flavors. Body is watery and fizzy. Very easy to drink... I could drink these all night long (and have on many occasions.)

01-10-2005 01:32:44 | More by jimdkc
RBorsato

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

Straw colored with a low white head and nice constant carbonation. Light cooked-corn aroma and taste; no hops apparent and not much else but not unpleasant. Light bodied with a crisp dry finish.

Above average for the standard macro crowd but from memory I actually preferred Michelob Light...

Per Label: "All Imported Hops"

Per A-B website: "a high percentage of two-row barley malt"

Born On: 10/23/04
Tasted: 12/19/04

12-21-2004 18:39:45 | More by RBorsato
GClarkage

2.53/5  rDev -4.5%

12/20/04- Consumed at a relatives house over the weekend.

Appearance- Average foam head. dark yellow pour and zippo lacing.

Smell- Smells like bud. Is this rice or corn or what? Grain? Not sure, but it's not that good.

Taste- Thought someone replaced the label with bud. Has that sickly grain or corn or whatever it is macro taste. It would be fine if I was a six pack in, but unfortunately this was the first beer of the night.

Mouthfeel- Very waterey and carbonated at the same time. Getting a gas attack.

Drinkability- Wish I would have brought my own beer. Hey at leastI get to rate it! Trying to figure out if that's bad or good though in this case.

12-20-2004 22:29:01 | More by GClarkage
acrawf6

Louisiana

2.45/5  rDev -7.5%

What do you really say about these macrobrews. I mean, who wants to come on BA and check the reviews for michelob??? anyway.... beer comes out at a light golden color, nothing special. Small head quickly goes away. Body is fuller than bud, but not that good. taste seem to be a little sweeter to me like corn syrup compared to other macros. overall i think ok for the price.... drinkable to get drunk off of. plus i like it more because it seems to be less popular than budweiser, coors or miller.

12-03-2004 07:20:48 | More by acrawf6
DPMomutant

Missouri

2.8/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a very pale, straw-like color. I'd tell you more about the head, but I blinked and it was gone!

Faint smell of hops and malt. That's it.

The taste is more or less like Bud but with maybe slightly more character. Some rice in the aftertaste...I prefer that in a side dish. I can certainly vouch for the AB freshness though.

Carbonation is a bit hard at first but the finish is smooth.

Yeah, it's drinkable as most macros are, but there are many macros that can suit this purpose at a lower price.

12-02-2004 06:05:48 | More by DPMomutant
Kookiekwan

2.03/5  rDev -23.4%

This beer pours golden and clear with very little aroma at all, maybe a hint of its claim of all imported hops. The taste is lacking everything that makes a beer good. The mouthfeel is similar to drinking a gingerale( you would be better off drinking one!). The beer is easy to drink but I wouldn't bother.

11-17-2004 21:37:07 | More by Kookiekwan
moocey

Alabama

3.1/5  rDev +17%

Well, here I go reviewing an AB product. This is my first time drinking Mickey since I turned 21 and learned what beer was. I ran out of new stuff to try where I live so I'm just drinking this to review it.

Appearance - Crystal Effing Clear. This stuff barely has any color to it at all. Faint yellow maybe. Couldn't they at least make it yellow?

Smell - I smell this and think "Oh yeah, that's what I used to remember whenever I thought of what beer smelled like" which is adjunct and not much of anything else.

Taste - What is that? Corn, rice? I don't know. I haven't ever reviewed an adjunct laden macro, let alone drank one that was warmed up enough to taste, so I"m pretty inexperienced at describing adjunct character. Not much flavor to it. Completely inoffensive. I"m sure that's exactly what they were going for. I'll give it a three because it doesn't trigger my gag reflex. I suppose that's status quo for the style.

Mouthfeel - What moutfeel? I feel like I'm drinking a glass of cold water. But, this is macroswill, so I guess that means average.

Drinkability. For anyone whose fallback brew is something with a decent amount of body and flavor, which is probably most BA's, this has a drinkability of 5. You can imbibe this like bottled water. Not something I'll ever purchase again, though. When I'm in the mood for bland macro, I'll take PBR or High Life any day of the week, thank you very much.

10-28-2004 03:23:39 | More by moocey
steinlifter

2.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Ah! Their high class beer! oops!, my bad, world select would take that title, oh well, their used to be high class beer!, pours a straw color, very pale, with no real head to speak of, forget retention.
smell: sweet like smell, rather undistinguishable.
taste: grain, faint hop and malt, almost as undistinguishable as the smell.
mouthfeel: not too bad, carbed up, light refreshing.
drinkability: not bad, it's nothing to rave about, for sure! but if I had a few in the fridge, I would drink them, good lawnmower beer!, and a tad better than Bud!

08-28-2004 23:05:49 | More by steinlifter
orbitalr0x

1.35/5  rDev -49.1%

Bought this on special for $2.50 at the Silver Slipper Saloon. I can honestly say I've never tried Michelob before now...even in my college years. When the bartender handed me the bottle I noticed "All Imported Hops" written across the top. Hmmm..interesting I thought. Once I sat down and took my first swig I was utterly unimpressed. If there are indeed imported hops in this beer I sure as hell cannot taste them. Maybe they are imported from somewhere where the word "hops" references some sort of shitty cereal grain. I dunno. This had a slightly better flavor than the majority of the macro brews....but I would not drink this by choice ever again. The blatant marketing scam on the bottle is ridiculous and it pisses me off. Steer clear unless you enjoy crappy beer.

08-24-2004 17:41:59 | More by orbitalr0x
Gusler

2.05/5  rDev -22.6%

Last, sample 9/11/00
The beer after its extraction from the 12-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass an unclouded gold with a moderate sized frothy white head and the resultant lace a thin curtain to obscure the glass. Nose is malt dominated, slightly sweet, crisp and clean with the start slightly sweet, the malt profile fair and the top light. Finish is stinging in its acidity, the hops standard for the style, a drinkable beer and I must add of all the macros this is my favorite.

08-22-2004 20:40:06 | More by Gusler
Dmann

2.45/5  rDev -7.5%

A beer that was left over after a party and it reminded me why I do not buy this stuff. This stuff is Bud with a different name. Same straw color, nearly the same grainy smell only this one added a bit of malt in there. The taste was full of corn and was not smoothe and the mouthfeel was very thick and cloying. Not recommended.

07-30-2004 08:20:18 | More by Dmann
Hunter

2.33/5  rDev -12.1%

What can you say? This is what it is. Poured a clear golden colr with a wispy head that vanished instantly. Large bubble of carbonation rising from the glass.

The nose is corn, corn, corn. Makes me think I can actually detect malt now in a Rolling Rock.

Taste isn't much different. Corn-flavored Budweiser.

I will say this...the bottle I got was fresh, and the brown glass seems to help avoid the skunkiness that plagues Corona.

If the bar's having a special you just can't pass on, this is drinkable. Move on to something with substance otherwise.

07-30-2004 06:35:16 | More by Hunter
JMoffatt

4.38/5  rDev +65.3%

Michelob is my favorite beer when I don't have any of my home brewed beer available or when I'm trying to conserve my own beer.
One of the biggest reasons I like Michelob is that I have never had one that tasted bad (outdated) and it is always reasonably priced.
When I have purchased other quality beers that have been put "on sale" I'm usually disappointed in the taste and quality, not so with Michelob.
Having a "born on" date is also a plus because you can shop for the freshest beer and if the store has not been carefull, you can tell if it's too old.

07-17-2004 20:27:19 | More by JMoffatt
twi1609372

3.48/5  rDev +31.3%

thid beer has a fairly thick taste, not what you would expect from anheiser. first tryed it with a coworker, wasnt expecting much but suprisingly it was pretty good. a thicker version of a cheap american beer. not nearly as good as some beers out there, but also better than a lot too.

07-04-2004 00:02:46 | More by twi1609372
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

Hard to tell just what I had here, because they'd changed the label and it didn't look a thing like the BA picture. But here goes...

this one was an average yelow color, clear, with a medium-sized head that disappeared fast. It seemed highly carbonated.

It smelled like non-sweet malt, with some aromatic hops thrown on top.

The taste was... well, average. Light malt, some hoppines (but not bitter). An overall average beer. I could drink more of it, but only if it were the only thing available... rather go for a good IPA though. Or even a medium IPA.

07-03-2004 03:03:46 | More by connecticutpoet
Lafe

2.68/5  rDev +1.1%

When dining at the local burger joint, it's often a toss-up between this beer and a Budweiser. Due to a lack of anything more redeeming. Michelob usually wins.

There is the faintest hint of the "finest imported hops" touted all over the bottle, but otherwise this beer mainly delivers alcohol in as painless a fashion as it possibly can. It is described as "bitter" by Miller-light aficiandos, but I find that bitterness to be fairly elusive. On the positive side, it's refreshing when ice-cold and washes a burger down handily.

06-12-2004 06:06:58 | More by Lafe
beertaster13

Washington

2.58/5  rDev -2.6%

Not to bad from AB, much better than other lagers they brew. Smell is grainy with subtle hops to speak of. Taste is of rice and little malts, hop detected but very faint. Almost cheerio tasting. Feels crisp but light and is actually drinkable on a hot day, much better lagers out there, and at 5 bucks a six pack I'd rather pick up some Birra Moretti.

05-31-2004 06:38:14 | More by beertaster13
brewdlyhooked13

3.03/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a standard macro gold/yellow with a brief white head. Thick rings of lacing left behind. Aroma is grainy, plain, and low level.

Taste is acceptable but not exceptional. Light grain taste, mild sweetness not found in the other macros.

Lots of fizz. Pleasant and crisp per the style. An easy beer to drink. Given the style, it's a pretty plain beer, but no major faults.

05-18-2004 02:19:58 | More by brewdlyhooked13
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

2.23/5  rDev -15.8%

330ml bottle

Pours with a straw yellow hue. A suprising lack of carbonation for a pale lager, small head with little retention or lacing

Smell is very skunky, not much evidence of hops, but an underlying scent of malt and rice

Taste, the usual us pale lager, rice and malt, very little flavour

Another macro guff brew

05-15-2004 11:49:06 | More by cypressbob
dedalus

Kansas

1.58/5  rDev -40.4%

i hadn't had a macro in years, and nothing better was available, so i thought i'd give it a shot. big mistake. it looked nice, mid golden with lots of bubbles and a whitish head. it's all downhill from there, though. almost no aroma, save a barely detectable floral scent that i can only assume was the ghost of some dead hops trying to make contact with me. the beer had literally next to no flavor whatsoever. it was carbonated water dyed yellow with the barest hint of eastern european hops. no finish. i'll never have another. save your money.

s.d.

05-09-2004 21:50:24 | More by dedalus
Gagnonsux

2.42/5  rDev -8.7%

This is one of those major company beers that happens to be a step up from your typical Coors or Miller beers. With that said they're not too bad for beer on a budget. Michelob doesn't have too strong of a taste for better or worse and comes off as about average. For me the number one thing about Michelob is the price combined with drinkability.

Overall 6/10