Natty Daddy - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Luigi on 09-18-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 198 | Reviews: 82
3.76/5  rDev +56.7%

I am a little confused about the other reviews on this site, The Natty Daddy I got here looks like the picture but it is a Lager and 6% vol (not 8% as stated).

It wasnt particulary cheap either $15 for 24 cans, I can get just about any beer around that price, but that is not why we are here.

I think it has a smooth taste and the most important thing for me is that it does not give me heartburn like most beers does, it also does not make me feel like poop when I wake up even after a dozen or so of these.

Someone mentioned steel reserve which I am also a huge fan of, but let's face it SR messes up your system badly, which is why I ventured out and found these.

All in all they fit my pallet good and I really like them, but I do wish they were the 8% that were mentioned here.

2.74/5  rDev +14.2%

2.78/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm a big fan of Steel Reserve. Steel Reserve taste pretty bad (not nearly as bad as a Malt like Colt. 45), but it's cheap, and has a nice strong kick.
Anyway, my closest liquor store stopped selling them, and I was forced to pick up Natty Daddy at the time, seeing as it was the only canned beverage close to Steel Reserve in Alc./Vol. (8%, VS Steel Reserve's 8.1%)

My experiences in the past with Natty-brand beers have been unfavorable: Me and a friend had a horrible lousy evening trying out a 24 pack of Natty Ice, and the only other person I know who drinks Natty-brand regularly is the local whino. Most people I know, even in a moment of desperation, would think twice about picking up a Natty-brand beer. Especially one called "Natty Daddy", what the hell?

But I was surprised by this one. I picked it up out of frustration before, and a few days later [today], I decided to give it another try. I'm writing this review while half way through a can of Natty Daddy. (...GOD that's a stupid name)
It's a cheap Lager, that just about manages to have the kick of a Malt, and it's surprisingly smooth for one. The taste is the most un-offending out of any cheap beverages on this level that I've tried. It's obviously not good, but there is a satisfying level of refinement. Very surprising [I'm using that word a lot], for a cheap strong beverage.

In conclusion: there are better options out there, even for cheap beverages. But this is not nearly as bad as I expected out of a Natty brand. They did something right here, and I tip my hat to them for that.

2.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is not good beer. Not at all. But its not terrible either. Well, yeah its kind of terrible. But it goes down easy. There are some decent fruity flavors there. And its cheap. So if you want some inexpensive beer, with a kick(8% abv), this is for you. Otherwise, I don't recommend it.

3.13/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I bought a case of this stuff at Walmart in Butte, Mt for about 14 bucks- that's 58 cents a can, folks! I don't think I've seen this for sale anywhere else around here. This beer has an ABV of "only" 6 percent.

A semi-aggressive pour from a 12 ounce can into a shaker pint produces enough head to fill the glass. This quickly reduces to a ring of lace around the sides and a little wispy island. The beer is a pale straw color with light carbonation.

The aroma has a distinct whiff of DMS suggesting corn but also a bit of a fruity alcohol aroma. The flavor is quite mild and easy to drink with just a tad bit of wet cardboard flavor. There is a distinct sweetness and boozy fruitiness, with grainy flavors lingering in the aftertaste. The mouth feel is slightly spritzy and even a little creamy on the tongue.

This beer is quite drinkable and even at a mere 6 percent ABV could be dangerous. I think I've discovered my new favorite ultra-cheap beer!

3.24/5  rDev +35%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Anheuser-Busch "Natty Daddy"

The "Natty Daddy" name harkens back to "Natural Light" which was introduced by Anheuser-Busch in 1977 as their first foray into the light or "diet" beer category, just 2 years behind Miller's national roll-out of Miller Lite.

Oddly, A-B took their light beer brand and turned it inside out and upside down in 1995, creating a secondary "Natural Ice" beer with 157 calories at 5.9% versus the original "Natural Light" at just 95 calories and 4.2%.

To put everything in perspective, Miller Lite was also 4.2% at 96 calories; and Bud Light followed 7 years later with the same 4.2% at 110 calories. Additionally, there was a "Dry beer" war that started in 1989; and A-B also introduced Bud Ice and Bud Ice Light in '94.

Why they would confuse their initial light beer's standing by using the same name for a secondary entry into the burgeoning "ice beer" category? I don't know, but it does somehow make sense that they would morph it now into an "American malt liquor" following the introduction of... what did I call it?... the "American light malt liquor" category that includes Budweiser Select and Labatt Bleu Royale.

At 8% abv. and 181 calories, Natty Daddy clearly fits the guidelines of a malt liquor, and yet it doesn't taste quite like you might expect. It's more refined. It's fruity, and there's a very limited amount of high fermentation characteristics, but beyond that it's really quite easy to drink. It's sweetish with more of an apple juice flavor than corn, and it's surprisingly smooth. The alcohol is present, but of course it needs to be - it wouldn't be an American malt liquor without a little 'edge'.

Overall, I live in a college town and the street are littered with these each and every Friday and Saturday night, so they must be doing something right. And at least they're cans rather than glass. I'll pass, but I'll also say that it's far from the worst malt liquor I've ever tasted.

2.51/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

16oz can poured into a pint glass, no canning date

A- pours a clear and pale yellow-straw color with a creamy white head that actually retains long after the pour, even leaving some lacing behind

S- sweet corn mixes with light floral aromas, grains, bread, maybe some rice

T- quite sweet up front with some adjunct chalky bitterness, there is a trace of floral notes with a bit of caramel before turning into a toasted grainy finish, the linger is pretty harsh

M- light body with some substance leads to low-biting carbonation and a crisp finish, some alcohol heat hits the chest

O- this isn't nearly as bad as Natty light. The sweet taste up front isn't that bad actually, but the finish tastes just as off-putting as Natty light. A good way to get drunk, but that's about it

3.04/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

For a cheap ($1.79) can at 8%, it's really not that bad. If you're okay with drinking cheap domestics, this one does just fine. Packs a decent punch. Average malty taste, nothing too exciting.

2.02/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

once you get to the bottom and its not ice cold anymore it is almost unbearable to drink

2.22/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

This is my new favorite beer. This is the first ever malt liqueur that I have tried. I didn't know what I was missing all those years.

This beer has a light taste for a barley beer and a satisfying after taste. 8% was a "wow" factor too. I always did get more of a buzz from 5% beer than I did from 12% wine or 40% scotch for some strange reason. One of these Natty Daddy beers is quite satisfying for the night.

1.96/5  rDev -18.3%

1.65/5  rDev -31.3%

This is the worst beer I have ever had. I am not one to pour out a beer, but half-way thru this huge can, and I started to develop a headache. Instant hang-over in a can... had to go down the drain. Just awful.

3.5/5  rDev +45.8%

2.25/5  rDev -6.3%

This is by far the worst beer I have ever had.

2.75/5  rDev +14.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Natty Daddy from Anheuser-Busch