Natty Daddy (8%) - Anheuser-Busch

Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Luigi on 09-18-2011

This is my new favorite beer. This is the first ever malt liqueur that I have tried. I didn't know what I was missing all those years.

This beer has a light taste for a barley beer and a satisfying after taste. 8% was a "wow" factor too. I always did get more of a buzz from 5% beer than I did from 12% wine or 40% scotch for some strange reason. One of these Natty Daddy beers is quite satisfying for the night. (419 characters)

Haha, all you arrogant so called beer connoisseurs would be begging for an ice cold 24oz can of Natty Daddy on a hot summer day if you were without. And you would love every drop of its perfectly intoxicating effects! Had to give this beer all 5' to offset all the undeserved haters. This is a mega brewed beer. You should rate accordingly and not go comparing it to craft beers. It does a great job at being what it is meant to be. So go buy a 24oz Natty Daddy and revel in its perfectly intoxicating glory. (508 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +60.6%

I like this beer because it's a smooth tasting beer and it's inexpensive.
If I have two sleepless nights I buy 2 Natty Daddy's (24 oz cans) and begin
drinking around 8 pm. It just makes me relax and around 10 or 10:30 pm
I go to bed and fall asleep pretty quickly and don't wake up till 6 or 7 am. (298 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +58.8%

This beer poured a honey gold with a moderate white head. It smells boozy, sweet, and cheap. Are those flavours? I think they are. It smells a little more like euro strong lagers than typical American malt liquor. So, this may be a very pleasant surprise.
The taste is really not bad for a malt liquor. I don't know why people are hating on it. Comparing it within its class, I'll have to give it a high mark. I've been waiting for a brew like this to be released. A sweet, smooth malt liquor that tastes boozy, between 8 and 9% alcohol and DOESN'T taste like nasty chemicals. This doesn't, so in its class, that's a plus right there.
The taste makes it clear that despite the smell, it doesn't quite meet the euro strong lager standard. For some reason, those are always better than their American counterparts. It's no Olde English either, but I'd say that's the closest comparison. It's like an Olde English that tastes boozier (a good thing), but has a little bit of an astringent off-flavour that makes it not quite on the same level as OE, which I consider to be the top of its class. Good stuff, though. I'll probably get it again. I'm sad that it was Busch that finally did this, but I've been waiting for someone to make a very simple, boozy, sweet malt liquor following the European example of making them simple and cheap, but not tasting like nasty chemicals or green apples. So, congrats Busch. I wish someone else could have done it first.

Final note: Great swill. That last few gulps of warm malt liquor that can have a devastating effect on your opinion of the cheap beer you've been swiggin. In this case, not a big problem. Even after it warms up, it's perfectly tolerable. But like all malt liquors, it's much better cold. (1,742 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +39.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Natty Daddy

25 Oz can poured into a frosty, glass mug

A: Golden yellow, Not too pale, Clear.
Fast growing head, About 3 fingers.
Not much retention, Less than 1 finger.
Moderate lacing.

S: Sweet Corn, Yeast, Malt, Bread
Cannot detect any hops, Though I imagine they are used at some point.

T: Apple-like sweetness, Corn, Slightly sour, or tart.
Definitely not your average tasting beer, or malt liquor,
Does not linger, No strong or offensive aftertaste.
Still not finding any strong hop flavor, But they could just be used to balance.

M: Light, Like water mixed with a little sugar to give it slight viscosity.
Stronger, more active carbonation when consumed just after opening,
As it sits, Most of the carbonation just evaporates away.

This beer surprised me, or rather, caught me off guard being much more bearable than I had expected. I used to buy only Best Ice until I think I was given on by accident, Now I'm hooked. Now I am not saying that it is this is one of the best beers ever, But I do not think it should be on the worst list either. When you read that it has 8% abv, You automatically think of a nasty malt liquor, Since not many 8% beers taste well. That being said, I find this beer has a good taste, Not offensive, And great price, At $1.35-$1.55, Although I've heard that it can go over $2 in certain areas. It used to be $1.09, But I guess they realized how many people preferred Natty Daddy over King Kobra, Steel Reserve or whichever High Gravity Malt Liquor.
Overall, This beer will remain with me throughout my life. (1,559 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +37.2%

I am a little confused about the other reviews on this site, The Natty Daddy I got here looks like the picture but it is a Lager and 6% vol (not 8% as stated).

It wasnt particulary cheap either $15 for 24 cans, I can get just about any beer around that price, but that is not why we are here.

I think it has a smooth taste and the most important thing for me is that it does not give me heartburn like most beers does, it also does not make me feel like poop when I wake up even after a dozen or so of these.

Someone mentioned steel reserve which I am also a huge fan of, but let's face it SR messes up your system badly, which is why I ventured out and found these.

All in all they fit my pallet good and I really like them, but I do wish they were the 8% that were mentioned here. (786 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm an English ex pat and out of all the american beers I would have to say this is the best. no heartburn , tastes good when cold, and gets you v.nicely drunk. The price is reasonable and in comparison I would have to say it's not far off my favorite beer Stella Artois for half the price over here. Don't be a snob and be put off by the name. A grade for a shit name (368 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Honestly these beers arent that bad. They are not for a light weight because of their heavier alcohol content.. In my opinion if you can't handle a natty daddy you shouldn't be drinking alcohol at all, so yea. Drink on, friends and be safe. Much love (250 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +27.7%

Sitting here having the first one as I was tempted at the local convenience store at $2.99 for a 4 pack of 16 oz'ers.

Amazingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely better than most, if not all of the "malt liquors" I've sampled.

Drinkable extremely cold and a nice buzz at a low price if that's your goal! (319 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +25.9%

Similar to Bud Light Platinum but tastes better. Easier to drink with way less nasty aftertaste. Goes down smooth for a cheap and strong beer. Really it does not have much taste but you can tell it's not a light beer. Just surprised it's better than Bud Light Platinum, unless I got a bad batch, and it's only 6% alc/volume not 8% unless it changed or something. Overall just an east drinking and strong cheap beer that competes with the other cheap and strong beers. Give this a chance you might like it. I just don't like the name it's trying too much. (554 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Surprisingly decent for a $cheap!$ beer, very drinkable even if I wouldn't brag about it. The 8% d oes the job of getting you trashed.secretly like a wino drinking MD 20/20 hide it in a brown paper bag and enjoy! (213 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm a big fan of Steel Reserve. Steel Reserve taste pretty bad (not nearly as bad as a Malt like Colt. 45), but it's cheap, and has a nice strong kick.
Anyway, my closest liquor store stopped selling them, and I was forced to pick up Natty Daddy at the time, seeing as it was the only canned beverage close to Steel Reserve in Alc./Vol. (8%, VS Steel Reserve's 8.1%)

My experiences in the past with Natty-brand beers have been unfavorable: Me and a friend had a horrible lousy evening trying out a 24 pack of Natty Ice, and the only other person I know who drinks Natty-brand regularly is the local whino. Most people I know, even in a moment of desperation, would think twice about picking up a Natty-brand beer. Especially one called "Natty Daddy", what the hell?

But I was surprised by this one. I picked it up out of frustration before, and a few days later [today], I decided to give it another try. I'm writing this review while half way through a can of Natty Daddy. (...GOD that's a stupid name)
It's a cheap Lager, that just about manages to have the kick of a Malt, and it's surprisingly smooth for one. The taste is the most un-offending out of any cheap beverages on this level that I've tried. It's obviously not good, but there is a satisfying level of refinement. Very surprising [I'm using that word a lot], for a cheap strong beverage.

In conclusion: there are better options out there, even for cheap beverages. But this is not nearly as bad as I expected out of a Natty brand. They did something right here, and I tip my hat to them for that. (1,570 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +22.6%

Reviewed to style - not my favorite style, but surprisingly good for the style!

Pulled up at my local and realized that my wallet was in my desk drawer at work. So, I dug through the ashtray for change - I found $2.fiddy. I see where this is going....

A: Served in the blue can it came in - proper drinkware for this IMHO. I'm sure there's some sorta concoction in there, do I really want to see it? 2.0 for the funky font on the can.

S: Wow! Granted it's not Stone Ruination, but for a Malt Liquor it's --- not awful! A bit of grain, some fruitiness - adjunct based alcohol? A whole lot of metallic canniness....(made that werd up meself!)

T: Pretty darn good! Tastes a lot like a somewhat old, low end lager to me. A lot of steely grain, not cloyingly sweet, 8% alcohol is well masked.

M: Lager - a tad oily at the end of the can, one was enough. Any more and it would get ugly quick.

O: I was shocked - I expected this to be on par with Steel Reserve, but it really wasn't horrible. It wasn't good, but considering that I got it with ashtray money, it was amazingly drinkable.

Recommended if you find yourself in my situation!

After reading a few of the other reviews, I really wish I'd been at County Line beach and drank this as StillBuff did! ROFL on the "...thoughts of doing bad sh*t..." (1,304 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +22.3%

Natty Daddy has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is a sharp, sweet, corn husk smell, and the taste is sweet, yet not overly so, and one picks up grain, a nice hop bitterness at the end, and there is a mild alcohol under-taste. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Natty Daddy finishes pretty crisp, clean, refreshing, and easy drinking. I can see how this could get someone in trouble. Overall, this is a winner for Anheuser-Busch.

RJT (508 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This product is great for what it is: a cheap, high-octane, malt liquor that's easy to swallow and carries a heavy punch. It's best for those days when you want to get drunk quickly for under four dollars. Around here, a can usually costs under 2 dollars and, when I drink it quickly, gives me a pretty nice buzz. Two cans and I'm officially drunk. Sure, it's not the best tasting beer, but what do you expect for something that costs less than most big bottles of soda. This is my goto cheap-ass beer. (502 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +21.2%

okay, let me start out by saying I have drank everything from boones farm to the highest end single malt scotch, I am a big fan of natural ice ... so I saw this and I had to try it, I will agree it is definitely no natural ice ... but, It is what it is... and that is a quick buzz in a can... or 2 to 3 cans, whatever... anyways, for what it is it is not half bad, but if I had a few extra bucks I would just slam a 12 pack of natural ice and call it a sure thing. (464 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A lot of the reviews on this beer are unfair. It has already been said, but this beer is not brewed for beer aficionados. I usually drink craft beers that are brewed for flavor, so this is different for me. This beer is a cheap 8% ABV beer that is marketed for the buzz over the flavor. I purchased it almost as a joke and felt like I was being brave in a way for drinking it. I'm not a total stranger to high gravity beers, but before I opened this Natty Daddy, I didn't expect to be able finish it.

This is so much better than I would have ever thought! It will give you a quick buzz and the flavor and mouthfeel aren't so bad. Personally, I would use this as a pregamer for sporting events and concerts. I'd much rather drink a 24oz of this before going into a venue than overspend stale tasting bud lights inside.

I recommend this for people who would like to get buzzed fast or would like to catch a buzz on a budget. This will get you drunk. (950 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%

This is what Bud Light Platinum should taste like...

why this is in the American Malt Liquor category is a bit odd...this is a lager...i will review it as such.

24oz can bought at Stripes in Lubbock Texas for $1.29...on sale when it was first released. its $1.99 now.

easily the best in the Natural line...drinks like a Natty Ice but not a horrible afterbite like a Natty Ice...it leaves a typical lager aftertaste...not much at all

This is a incredibly smooth and light lager for 8.0%

the taste isnt outstanding but its not bad...one of the best A-B brands. Natty Daddy and Hurricane High Grav are where its at for economy drinking,ABV and some sort of flavor when it comes to the big brewers

If they lowered the price a tad in some areas,itd be the goto drunkfest beer for the college set.

Its worth a try once...its way better than Natural Ice...that being said...its slightly above average.lol (904 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Anheuser-Busch "Natty Daddy"

The "Natty Daddy" name harkens back to "Natural Light" which was introduced by Anheuser-Busch in 1977 as their first foray into the light or "diet" beer category, just 2 years behind Miller's national roll-out of Miller Lite.

Oddly, A-B took their light beer brand and turned it inside out and upside down in 1995, creating a secondary "Natural Ice" beer with 157 calories at 5.9% versus the original "Natural Light" at just 95 calories and 4.2%.

To put everything in perspective, Miller Lite was also 4.2% at 96 calories; and Bud Light followed 7 years later with the same 4.2% at 110 calories. Additionally, there was a "Dry beer" war that started in 1989; and A-B also introduced Bud Ice and Bud Ice Light in '94.

Why they would confuse their initial light beer's standing by using the same name for a secondary entry into the burgeoning "ice beer" category? I don't know, but it does somehow make sense that they would morph it now into an "American malt liquor" following the introduction of... what did I call it?... the "American light malt liquor" category that includes Budweiser Select and Labatt Bleu Royale.

At 8% abv. and 181 calories, Natty Daddy clearly fits the guidelines of a malt liquor, and yet it doesn't taste quite like you might expect. It's more refined. It's fruity, and there's a very limited amount of high fermentation characteristics, but beyond that it's really quite easy to drink. It's sweetish with more of an apple juice flavor than corn, and it's surprisingly smooth. The alcohol is present, but of course it needs to be - it wouldn't be an American malt liquor without a little 'edge'.

Overall, I live in a college town and the street are littered with these each and every Friday and Saturday night, so they must be doing something right. And at least they're cans rather than glass. I'll pass, but I'll also say that it's far from the worst malt liquor I've ever tasted. (1,945 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +15.7%

24 oz can into a frosted mug. $1.40, 8% abv!!! Ohhh yeah!!

A - Dark straw yellow body with a fluffy white head. Lots of head...

S - Sweet corn, grain, and a touch of bready malts. Not bad.

T - Sweet corn and bready malts. I actually find myself enjoying the flavor? Interesting. Mouth feel is watery and light, refreshing with little evidence of the high abv.

O - One of the better malt liquors I've had. Not bad. (417 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.75

I like this stuff usually its pretty affordable or cheap enough you know. and if you drink a few of these things you get feeling pretty good, does get you sort of weird and sometimes tired so must be careful with this but it is cheap so really is pretty good (258 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +15%

24oz can
Served in a nonic pint

A - Clear, pale and yellow. Voluptuous white head.

S - Grain and some alcohol.

T - It actually had some taste compared to the Light version. I get some grain and alcohol.

M - Thin

O - For all intents and purposes this reminds me of an ice beer. (281 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I bought a case of this stuff at Walmart in Butte, Mt for about 14 bucks- that's 58 cents a can, folks! I don't think I've seen this for sale anywhere else around here. This beer has an ABV of "only" 6 percent.

A semi-aggressive pour from a 12 ounce can into a shaker pint produces enough head to fill the glass. This quickly reduces to a ring of lace around the sides and a little wispy island. The beer is a pale straw color with light carbonation.

The aroma has a distinct whiff of DMS suggesting corn but also a bit of a fruity alcohol aroma. The flavor is quite mild and easy to drink with just a tad bit of wet cardboard flavor. There is a distinct sweetness and boozy fruitiness, with grainy flavors lingering in the aftertaste. The mouth feel is slightly spritzy and even a little creamy on the tongue.

This beer is quite drinkable and even at a mere 6 percent ABV could be dangerous. I think I've discovered my new favorite ultra-cheap beer! (962 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +14.2%

OK...Lets face it man,this is not a Beer you drink and savor the flavor,this is a "Malt Liquor" you chill ICE F87king Cold and slam! it will get you where you want to be VERY Fast,and for about a buck 25 a 25oz can what can you bitch about? you must drink this stuff ICE COLD,Because as it warms it gets that "Malt Liquor" sweet,sick,nasty tatse to it..yuck! but ICE COLD? not half bad @ all~and it will "Kick your ass" so know this..lmao~beerwolf666*[jammimg some "the morningside~ 14} (486 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +13.9%

Curiousity and a general desire to be young and without responsibility lead me to purchase just one of these little jewels from my local money-laudering-mart. Alas, I'm niether young nor without significant responsibility, so I will enjoy this mildly sweet high test malt beverage, and hope none of my esteemed friends or colleagues ever make the connection between my BA gang name and my true identity.

Pleasantly surprised. When compared to a baseline of it's peers, it performs admirably well. I taste only the faintest hint of barley derived flavor...everything else is pure adjunct flavoring. The surprise is that it is so well balanced that I can not pinpoint the bastardized sugar source. Well done, Natty.

Mouthfeel is crisp cool and dangerously refreshing.

Best Malt liquor on the market. (802 characters)

Natty Daddy (8%) from Anheuser-Busch