2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Natty Daddy - Anheuser-Busch

Natty DaddyNatty Daddy

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Luigi on 09-18-2011)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natty Daddy Alström Bros
Ratings: 144 | Reviews: 62 | Show All Ratings:
danorano

Haha, all you arrogant so called beer connoisseurs would be begging for an ice cold 24oz can of Natty Daddy on a hot summer day if you were without. And you would love every drop of its perfectly intoxicating effects! Had to give this beer all 5' to offset all the undeserved haters. This is a mega brewed beer. You should rate accordingly and not go comparing it to craft beers. It does a great job at being what it is meant to be. So go buy a 24oz Natty Daddy and revel in its perfectly intoxicating glory.

05-29-2013 02:07:57 | More by danorano
Gretel

4.43/5  rDev +87.7%

I like this beer because it's a smooth tasting beer and it's inexpensive.
If I have two sleepless nights I buy 2 Natty Daddy's (24 oz cans) and begin
drinking around 8 pm. It just makes me relax and around 10 or 10:30 pm
I go to bed and fall asleep pretty quickly and don't wake up till 6 or 7 am.

07-02-2013 17:16:18 | More by Gretel
ElCommodoro

4.38/5  rDev +85.6%

This beer poured a honey gold with a moderate white head. It smells boozy, sweet, and cheap. Are those flavours? I think they are. It smells a little more like euro strong lagers than typical American malt liquor. So, this may be a very pleasant surprise.
The taste is really not bad for a malt liquor. I don't know why people are hating on it. Comparing it within its class, I'll have to give it a high mark. I've been waiting for a brew like this to be released. A sweet, smooth malt liquor that tastes boozy, between 8 and 9% alcohol and DOESN'T taste like nasty chemicals. This doesn't, so in its class, that's a plus right there.
The taste makes it clear that despite the smell, it doesn't quite meet the euro strong lager standard. For some reason, those are always better than their American counterparts. It's no Olde English either, but I'd say that's the closest comparison. It's like an Olde English that tastes boozier (a good thing), but has a little bit of an astringent off-flavour that makes it not quite on the same level as OE, which I consider to be the top of its class. Good stuff, though. I'll probably get it again. I'm sad that it was Busch that finally did this, but I've been waiting for someone to make a very simple, boozy, sweet malt liquor following the European example of making them simple and cheap, but not tasting like nasty chemicals or green apples. So, congrats Busch. I wish someone else could have done it first.

Final note: Great swill. That last few gulps of warm malt liquor that can have a devastating effect on your opinion of the cheap beer you've been swiggin. In this case, not a big problem. Even after it warms up, it's perfectly tolerable. But like all malt liquors, it's much better cold.

10-16-2011 05:13:11 | More by ElCommodoro
traehindman

3.7/5  rDev +56.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Honestly these beers arent that bad. They are not for a light weight because of their heavier alcohol content.. In my opinion if you can't handle a natty daddy you shouldn't be drinking alcohol at all, so yea. Drink on, friends and be safe. Much love

Serving type: nitro-can

11-06-2013 23:20:42 | More by traehindman
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.38/5  rDev +43.2%

Natty Daddy has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is a sharp, sweet, corn husk smell, and the taste is sweet, yet not overly so, and one picks up grain, a nice hop bitterness at the end, and there is a mild alcohol under-taste. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Natty Daddy finishes pretty crisp, clean, refreshing, and easy drinking. I can see how this could get someone in trouble. Overall, this is a winner for Anheuser-Busch.

RJT

12-15-2011 22:12:59 | More by RonaldTheriot
Lockedin

3.38/5  rDev +43.2%

Reviewed to style - not my favorite style, but surprisingly good for the style!

Pulled up at my local and realized that my wallet was in my desk drawer at work. So, I dug through the ashtray for change - I found $2.fiddy. I see where this is going....

A: Served in the blue can it came in - proper drinkware for this IMHO. I'm sure there's some sorta concoction in there, do I really want to see it? 2.0 for the funky font on the can.

S: Wow! Granted it's not Stone Ruination, but for a Malt Liquor it's --- not awful! A bit of grain, some fruitiness - adjunct based alcohol? A whole lot of metallic canniness....(made that werd up meself!)

T: Pretty darn good! Tastes a lot like a somewhat old, low end lager to me. A lot of steely grain, not cloyingly sweet, 8% alcohol is well masked.

M: Lager - a tad oily at the end of the can, one was enough. Any more and it would get ugly quick.

O: I was shocked - I expected this to be on par with Steel Reserve, but it really wasn't horrible. It wasn't good, but considering that I got it with ashtray money, it was amazingly drinkable.

Recommended if you find yourself in my situation!

After reading a few of the other reviews, I really wish I'd been at County Line beach and drank this as StillBuff did! ROFL on the "...thoughts of doing bad sh*t..."

08-24-2012 04:08:20 | More by Lockedin
psychonautica

West Virginia

3.38/5  rDev +43.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This product is great for what it is: a cheap, high-octane, malt liquor that's easy to swallow and carries a heavy punch. It's best for those days when you want to get drunk quickly for under four dollars. Around here, a can usually costs under 2 dollars and, when I drink it quickly, gives me a pretty nice buzz. Two cans and I'm officially drunk. Sure, it's not the best tasting beer, but what do you expect for something that costs less than most big bottles of soda. This is my goto cheap-ass beer.

08-23-2013 21:36:29 | More by psychonautica
nhnyr88

3.31/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A lot of the reviews on this beer are unfair. It has already been said, but this beer is not brewed for beer aficionados. I usually drink craft beers that are brewed for flavor, so this is different for me. This beer is a cheap 8% ABV beer that is marketed for the buzz over the flavor. I purchased it almost as a joke and felt like I was being brave in a way for drinking it. I'm not a total stranger to high gravity beers, but before I opened this Natty Daddy, I didn't expect to be able finish it.

This is so much better than I would have ever thought! It will give you a quick buzz and the flavor and mouthfeel aren't so bad. Personally, I would use this as a pregamer for sporting events and concerts. I'd much rather drink a 24oz of this before going into a venue than overspend stale tasting bud lights inside.

I recommend this for people who would like to get buzzed fast or would like to catch a buzz on a budget. This will get you drunk.

07-02-2013 03:18:55 | More by nhnyr88
netrioter

3.28/5  rDev +39%

This is what Bud Light Platinum should taste like...

why this is in the American Malt Liquor category is a bit odd...this is a lager...i will review it as such.

24oz can bought at Stripes in Lubbock Texas for $1.29...on sale when it was first released. its $1.99 now.

easily the best in the Natural line...drinks like a Natty Ice but not a horrible afterbite like a Natty Ice...it leaves a typical lager aftertaste...not much at all

This is a incredibly smooth and light lager for 8.0%

the taste isnt outstanding but its not bad...one of the best A-B brands. Natty Daddy and Hurricane High Grav are where its at for economy drinking,ABV and some sort of flavor when it comes to the big brewers

If they lowered the price a tad in some areas,itd be the goto drunkfest beer for the college set.

Its worth a try once...its way better than Natural Ice...that being said...its slightly above average.lol

07-20-2012 11:05:05 | More by netrioter
diesel59

3.28/5  rDev +39%

okay, let me start out by saying I have drank everything from boones farm to the highest end single malt scotch, I am a big fan of natural ice ... so I saw this and I had to try it, I will agree it is definitely no natural ice ... but, It is what it is... and that is a quick buzz in a can... or 2 to 3 cans, whatever... anyways, for what it is it is not half bad, but if I had a few extra bucks I would just slam a 12 pack of natural ice and call it a sure thing.

06-29-2013 00:03:40 | More by diesel59
davey101

Connecticut

3.2/5  rDev +35.6%

24 oz can into a frosted mug. $1.40, 8% abv!!! Ohhh yeah!!

A - Dark straw yellow body with a fluffy white head. Lots of head...

S - Sweet corn, grain, and a touch of bready malts. Not bad.

T - Sweet corn and bready malts. I actually find myself enjoying the flavor? Interesting. Mouth feel is watery and light, refreshing with little evidence of the high abv.

O - One of the better malt liquors I've had. Not bad.

04-11-2012 21:30:22 | More by davey101
buschbeer

3.18/5  rDev +34.7%

24oz can
Served in a nonic pint

A - Clear, pale and yellow. Voluptuous white head.

S - Grain and some alcohol.

T - It actually had some taste compared to the Light version. I get some grain and alcohol.

M - Thin

O - For all intents and purposes this reminds me of an ice beer.

06-23-2012 00:42:55 | More by buschbeer
streetcommander

3.18/5  rDev +34.7%

Curiousity and a general desire to be young and without responsibility lead me to purchase just one of these little jewels from my local money-laudering-mart. Alas, I'm niether young nor without significant responsibility, so I will enjoy this mildly sweet high test malt beverage, and hope none of my esteemed friends or colleagues ever make the connection between my BA gang name and my true identity.

Pleasantly surprised. When compared to a baseline of it's peers, it performs admirably well. I taste only the faintest hint of barley derived flavor...everything else is pure adjunct flavoring. The surprise is that it is so well balanced that I can not pinpoint the bastardized sugar source. Well done, Natty.

Mouthfeel is crisp cool and dangerously refreshing.

Best Malt liquor on the market.

07-14-2012 00:53:49 | More by streetcommander
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.05/5  rDev +29.2%

From the 24 fl. oz. can stamped 293-NB80. Sampled on December 17, 2011. Another American Malt Liquor to pound down from the brown bag! And it pours yellow with lots of fizz that fizzles fast. It is important to review this based on style rather than on who brews it. When I first break open the can I get an almost pear-like fruitness. But after I pour it into the my Retro Miller pint glass it becomes a typical grainy aroma with a sniff of yeast, bread, and clean, crisp hops sliding in from the backside. The texture is in the medium range and when swirling it on my tongue it turns to carbonated bubbles in about ten seconds. The taste is very much in tune with the malt liquor style with its pungent grainy and clean hop bite but it does not leave a sour aftertaste like so many other malt liquors. For a craft beer it gets a low rating. But strictly by style it is a tad better than others in this category.

12-17-2011 23:19:13 | More by puboflyons
FullTiltTom

3.03/5  rDev +28.4%

Iknow alot of folks look down on this one but for what it is,it is out standing.Here I can get my local grocery store sells it at $1.09 a 25oz can and with there store deal card they take .10c off that!So $10.00 about takes care of your weekend beer buzz because you only need 3-4 of these to get where you want to be if a cheap high is what you are seeking.This is not a beer for someone looking to savor but with a pizza and movie if your looking to sleep good it works.

04-20-2014 06:01:25 | More by FullTiltTom
thebrood1987

You know its really not that bad for a high alcohol beer made by Budweiser. It has a fruity almost Belgian yeast strain smell to it followed by that graininess you'd find in most macro lagers...which I really don't mind at all to be honest with you. You get a crisp bite from the carbonation in the beginning followed by a syrupy grainy malt backbone and then ending with that fruity almost bubblegum like taste. Only the very slightest bit of hop bite as well.

You can sorta taste the alcohol on this one and is definitely a party get buzzed fast sorta beer. With that being said though its a lot better and has a lot better of crisp fuller mouthfeel than the regular natty's and budweiser beers. The high alcohol at a cheap price without an offensive taste but more of a craft beer sorta fruitiness taste makes this an average beer that I wouldnt mind having again.

01-25-2012 01:49:41 | More by thebrood1987
womencantsail

A tall can purchased from a gas station on my way to Santa Barbara a couple weeks back...how couldn't this be good?

The pour is a clear, pale, golden yellow color with a white head. A lot of corn, corn syrup, and sugar. Maybe some fruity esters and cereal/grain sweetness to it. Just really quite sweet. Some pear and apple esters along with lots of grain and sugary sweetness. Definitely heavy on the corn. Another fine malt beverage.

02-20-2012 03:14:05 | More by womencantsail
Spikester

Oregon

2.99/5  rDev +26.7%

From the 24 ounce can it pours gold with one finger of quickly vanishing white foamy head. A small ring of white remains. Two or three spots of lacing.
Smell is fermented apple skins with a kiss of corn.
Taste is like Natural Light with a half jigger of vodka dumped in it. The malts and corn vie for the lead with the alcohol winning out. There is probably a kiss of hops somewhere in this brew but hard to prove. Malty and boozy. At least it is not the liquid candy that many of these malt liquors taste like.
Mouthfeel is fizzy and light. Finish is sweet of course but later a measure of dryness creeps in.
Overall I don't claim to have tried all the malt bombs available but this is at least average so far. You can tell it is related to Natural Light/ Ice.

07-18-2013 03:24:15 | More by Spikester
woodychandler

2.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Hee hee hee. I CANnot control my glee at finding a new AML in a CAN! I might have saved this gem for NBS, but it was like that special present under the tree that simply could not wait until the morning of 25 December. I love that Natty is mature enough now to have its own Daddy. I want Natty Mommy, Natty Baby Girl, Natty Baby Boy, hell, let's shoot for the whole Natty family! Who says that the nuclear family is dead in the U.S.A.?

Nice CAN, no info other than 24 ounces of pleasure.

Yo, the Crack & Glug was almost a disaster as Daddy came roaring out at me! Back off, big man, my Pops is long gone and I'll kick your ass in his stead! He backed off in terms of head as it started with a finger of fizzy, bone-white head and quickly became nothingness. Color was a sunshine-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into my hangover future. Gah. Nose was sickeningly sweet with pink bubble gum as the prominent scent. It also smelled faintly of fabric softener, plastics factory and dry cleaning plant, but not enough to worry about a Cyberman invasion. This was just a poorly made beer and evocative of the style. Mouthfeel was hot and abrasive, ensuring that the salty, deep-fried snack that I CANsumed just beforehand was washed away. Woof! Wow! This is the kind of quality beverage that I truly enjoy in the summertime, hanging out in the alley with my homies. The price point was just right and I applaud the brewery's willingness to step up to the plate and fill a void where none previously existed. Man, this is the champagne-like beverage for which New Year's Eve was invented. I want to load my gat so that I am ready for the celebration, dig, my G? Finish was bone-dry, to the point that I barely noticed its passing. Hooo.

A final observation in that it was in a Rexam CAN. That may not mean much to the casual CANsumer, but it was my understanding that InBev/A-B had its own CANning division, separate from Ball, Crown, or Rexam. Things that make you go, "Hmmm."

12-16-2011 01:40:30 | More by woodychandler
MasterSki

2.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Nothing like starting off Super Bowl Sunday with a fine 24oz can of malt liquor. Ironically served in a Hill Farmstead glass. Purchased this at a gas station in the Detroit 'burbs.

A - Voluminous white foam with surprisingly good retention. It eventually settles to a thin partial cap, thick collar, and a bit of splotchy lace. The body is a shade darker than a dehydrated man's urine and completely transparent. All in all, one of the most handsome beers I've had in this style.

S - The standard blend of white grape juice, sugar, grain, and corn. Not a ton of alcohol presence, although this is a lower ABV malt liquor.

T - Taste is also surprisingly palatable, with some fruity notes mingling with creamed corn. This is unfortunately marred by an unpleasant chemical finish.

M - Medium body, with surprisingly pleasant carbonation. Chewy, and fairly clean in the finish, with only light warming alcohol. One of the best feels I've had from a malt liquor.

D - Actually pretty decent - I suspect this is just Natty Light before they cut it with water. Other than the finish you could actually drink this with some nachos. Expensive for the style at $1.69.

02-06-2012 16:38:32 | More by MasterSki
Pegasus

2.9/5  rDev +22.9%

Appearance: Clear golden color with a large, coarse head, small streams of slow-rising carbonation. The lacing is scattered and patchy.

Aroma: Sweet corn and alcohol dominates the aroma, with no hop presence noted. Slight bread notes are present as well, like fresh white bread.

Taste:Opens with sweet alcohol, and cooked corn. These carry throughout thr taste. The alcohol is rather warming, and fortunately lacks a harsh bite. Finishes with a slight metallic, and lingering hop note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, a bit thin, the carbonation is soft.

Drinkability/notes: Not bad, really, for what it is. Its hard to complain, considering this sells for less than two dollars for a twenty-four ounce can.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a standard Pilsener glass.

01-16-2012 20:22:04 | More by Pegasus
Reidrover

Oregon

2.9/5  rDev +22.9%

Handsome blue can 24 ozs from a local 7/11 type. $1.59 This better be good $1.59 for this type of beer! No idea of the colour as i have this from the can wrapped in the proper brown bag. Aroma i can make out is sweet malts,perfumy that’s about it Taste sweet semi sweet apple,slight tobacco, a little toasted bread a tiny bit of Halls mentholyptus. Not to shabby for style Palate is fine for style and the carbonation works.Alcohol is hidden which is a tremendous plus for this style. Overall not to bad for the style.

01-27-2013 05:07:44 | More by Reidrover
BrewMaven

2.85/5  rDev +20.8%

Really not whole lot that can be said about a brew such as this..Pale yellow with quick to leave head. Violent carbonation that calms down with time.

Basic adjunct lager aromas....

Simple adjuncty grain flavors..clean drinking, pretty thin mouthfeel.. smooth finish...does EXACTLY what it's supposed to do.. The 8%abv sees to this.

This is a tool as much as it is a simple beer.

01-13-2012 02:09:14 | More by BrewMaven
PreciousPup

2.85/5  rDev +20.8%

I decided to stop into the local Kangaroo Express, just wanted something to lighten the day. A 'Kid", probably 20 years younger than me, said to his girquilfriend.. while pointing to Natty Daddy, .. "2 of those will knock you off your feet." I asked about the alcohol content, adnd he said 8%.
_ It was that kind of a day, and I purchased 2 - 24oz. -- Well, the first one went down like a water, and by the second one... I was getting a buzz. But.. the buzz quickly left. Seems like its just like any AHBush beers...
_ I didn't taste any malt. .. A strong malt, won't let you chug down.. it kinda makes to savor the flavor.
Next time, I'll pay a few cents more ... just get a couple of Corona's or Heinekin's .

Serving type: nitro-can

11-16-2012 02:58:21 | More by PreciousPup
Zorro

2.85/5  rDev +20.8%

Cheap can of malt liquor found at the store I haven't tried before so how bad can it be?

Poured in a glass to take a look.

Amazingly pale colored for what it is. Clear pale yellow with a decent small white colored head that soon fades.

Smell as expected is sweet. Sweet corn scent with detectable amount of hop. Clean scent with some slight fruity scents mostly lemon. Seems to be quite clean of fusel alcohols. At least they didn't rush the fermentation with too high heat.

Starts out rather clean tasting for the beer style. Mineral water and some seltzer bubbles on the tongue. Slight bitterness and a slight metallic taste but overall good for the beer type.

Mouthfeel is decent.

Overall, for an American Malt Liquor it is quite good. Not going to fill the refrigerator with the stuff but is is better than 95% of what you will find.

10-03-2013 00:50:26 | More by Zorro