Natty Daddy (8%) - Anheuser-Busch

Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Luigi on 09-18-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Natty Daddy (8%) Alström Bros
Ratings: 211 | Reviews: 88
2.15/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Okay, okay. I know this beer is not great. But, why would people buy this beer? Because its cheap and powerful. In that regard it is great. I am sure if I had the disposable income I'd buy another beer. BUT I DON'T. I'd also like to warn people about this beer. I drank 5 cans and that was way, way too much. Trust me.
After the first can its starts tasting very good. Before you know it, BAM. your crying for your Mama.

3.17/5  rDev +31%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.75

I like this stuff usually its pretty affordable or cheap enough you know. and if you drink a few of these things you get feeling pretty good

3.44/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Surprisingly decent for a $cheap!$ beer, very drinkable even if I wouldn't brag about it. The 8% d oes the job of getting you trashed.secretly like a wino drinking MD 20/20 hide it in a brown paper bag and enjoy!

3.45/5  rDev +42.6%

Similar to Bud Light Platinum but tastes better. Easier to drink with way less nasty aftertaste. Goes down smooth for a cheap and strong beer. Really it does not have much taste but you can tell it's not a light beer. Just surprised it's better than Bud Light Platinum, unless I got a bad batch, and it's only 6% alc/volume not 8% unless it changed or something. Overall just an east drinking and strong cheap beer that competes with the other cheap and strong beers. Give this a chance you might like it. I just don't like the name it's trying too much.

2.58/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I admit it. I'm the type that always says they're going to stay away from A-B/InBev products. I rail them every single time they buy out a craft brewery and cheapen their appeal (my words). But, for some godforsaken reason, I couldn't resist picking up their cheaper offerings. Let me explain. I don't have the money to buy a really nice IPA or a proper pilsner. So, my options were limited to dreck like Bud, Bud Light, Labatt and Molson tallboys. Aha, this has 8%? What a surprise. 2 for $2.39 and tax? Can't really beat that either. Here goes.

Pours the color of urine when you are dehydrated (yellow that leans more dark) with a frothy head into my glass.

Whew, what a strong industrial scent! Not that sweet either. To be fair, it's pretty much the norm for the style.

It even tastes cheap and bland. Not as lively as a high-end sparkling water but what do you expect? Grainy texture gives off the illusion of “smoothness”.

Ever pop a mouthful of Fritos in your mouth and then take note of the aftertaste? That's what you're getting here. On the plus side, it doesn't burn. Helps you forget that this is an 8% malt liquor.

There are probably better things that I could have bought with my money. Natty Daddy does fulfill the commandments of cheap beer being that it's 1. cheap, 2. high gravity (8%-up) and 3. smooth and inoffensive. Natty Daddy also makes a wonderful conversation piece, especially when someone sings the praises of an A-B/InBev owned craft brewery. That's when you need to start singing the praises of Natty Daddy.

3.76/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm an English ex pat and out of all the american beers I would have to say this is the best. no heartburn , tastes good when cold, and gets you v.nicely drunk. The price is reasonable and in comparison I would have to say it's not far off my favorite beer Stella Artois for half the price over here. Don't be a snob and be put off by the name. A grade for a shit name

3.76/5  rDev +55.4%

I am a little confused about the other reviews on this site, The Natty Daddy I got here looks like the picture but it is a Lager and 6% vol (not 8% as stated).

It wasnt particulary cheap either $15 for 24 cans, I can get just about any beer around that price, but that is not why we are here.

I think it has a smooth taste and the most important thing for me is that it does not give me heartburn like most beers does, it also does not make me feel like poop when I wake up even after a dozen or so of these.

Someone mentioned steel reserve which I am also a huge fan of, but let's face it SR messes up your system badly, which is why I ventured out and found these.

All in all they fit my pallet good and I really like them, but I do wish they were the 8% that were mentioned here.

3.4/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm a big fan of Steel Reserve. Steel Reserve taste pretty bad (not nearly as bad as a Malt like Colt. 45), but it's cheap, and has a nice strong kick.
Anyway, my closest liquor store stopped selling them, and I was forced to pick up Natty Daddy at the time, seeing as it was the only canned beverage close to Steel Reserve in Alc./Vol. (8%, VS Steel Reserve's 8.1%)

My experiences in the past with Natty-brand beers have been unfavorable: Me and a friend had a horrible lousy evening trying out a 24 pack of Natty Ice, and the only other person I know who drinks Natty-brand regularly is the local whino. Most people I know, even in a moment of desperation, would think twice about picking up a Natty-brand beer. Especially one called "Natty Daddy", what the hell?

But I was surprised by this one. I picked it up out of frustration before, and a few days later [today], I decided to give it another try. I'm writing this review while half way through a can of Natty Daddy. (...GOD that's a stupid name)
It's a cheap Lager, that just about manages to have the kick of a Malt, and it's surprisingly smooth for one. The taste is the most un-offending out of any cheap beverages on this level that I've tried. It's obviously not good, but there is a satisfying level of refinement. Very surprising [I'm using that word a lot], for a cheap strong beverage.

In conclusion: there are better options out there, even for cheap beverages. But this is not nearly as bad as I expected out of a Natty brand. They did something right here, and I tip my hat to them for that.

2.53/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is not good beer. Not at all. But its not terrible either. Well, yeah its kind of terrible. But it goes down easy. There are some decent fruity flavors there. And its cheap. So if you want some inexpensive beer, with a kick(8% abv), this is for you. Otherwise, I don't recommend it.

3.13/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I bought a case of this stuff at Walmart in Butte, Mt for about 14 bucks- that's 58 cents a can, folks! I don't think I've seen this for sale anywhere else around here. This beer has an ABV of "only" 6 percent.

A semi-aggressive pour from a 12 ounce can into a shaker pint produces enough head to fill the glass. This quickly reduces to a ring of lace around the sides and a little wispy island. The beer is a pale straw color with light carbonation.

The aroma has a distinct whiff of DMS suggesting corn but also a bit of a fruity alcohol aroma. The flavor is quite mild and easy to drink with just a tad bit of wet cardboard flavor. There is a distinct sweetness and boozy fruitiness, with grainy flavors lingering in the aftertaste. The mouth feel is slightly spritzy and even a little creamy on the tongue.

This beer is quite drinkable and even at a mere 6 percent ABV could be dangerous. I think I've discovered my new favorite ultra-cheap beer!

3.24/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Anheuser-Busch "Natty Daddy"

The "Natty Daddy" name harkens back to "Natural Light" which was introduced by Anheuser-Busch in 1977 as their first foray into the light or "diet" beer category, just 2 years behind Miller's national roll-out of Miller Lite.

Oddly, A-B took their light beer brand and turned it inside out and upside down in 1995, creating a secondary "Natural Ice" beer with 157 calories at 5.9% versus the original "Natural Light" at just 95 calories and 4.2%.

To put everything in perspective, Miller Lite was also 4.2% at 96 calories; and Bud Light followed 7 years later with the same 4.2% at 110 calories. Additionally, there was a "Dry beer" war that started in 1989; and A-B also introduced Bud Ice and Bud Ice Light in '94.

Why they would confuse their initial light beer's standing by using the same name for a secondary entry into the burgeoning "ice beer" category? I don't know, but it does somehow make sense that they would morph it now into an "American malt liquor" following the introduction of... what did I call it?... the "American light malt liquor" category that includes Budweiser Select and Labatt Bleu Royale.

At 8% abv. and 181 calories, Natty Daddy clearly fits the guidelines of a malt liquor, and yet it doesn't taste quite like you might expect. It's more refined. It's fruity, and there's a very limited amount of high fermentation characteristics, but beyond that it's really quite easy to drink. It's sweetish with more of an apple juice flavor than corn, and it's surprisingly smooth. The alcohol is present, but of course it needs to be - it wouldn't be an American malt liquor without a little 'edge'.

Overall, I live in a college town and the street are littered with these each and every Friday and Saturday night, so they must be doing something right. And at least they're cans rather than glass. I'll pass, but I'll also say that it's far from the worst malt liquor I've ever tasted.

2.51/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

16oz can poured into a pint glass, no canning date

A- pours a clear and pale yellow-straw color with a creamy white head that actually retains long after the pour, even leaving some lacing behind

S- sweet corn mixes with light floral aromas, grains, bread, maybe some rice

T- quite sweet up front with some adjunct chalky bitterness, there is a trace of floral notes with a bit of caramel before turning into a toasted grainy finish, the linger is pretty harsh

M- light body with some substance leads to low-biting carbonation and a crisp finish, some alcohol heat hits the chest

O- this isn't nearly as bad as Natty light. The sweet taste up front isn't that bad actually, but the finish tastes just as off-putting as Natty light. A good way to get drunk, but that's about it

3.04/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

For a cheap ($1.79) can at 8%, it's really not that bad. If you're okay with drinking cheap domestics, this one does just fine. Packs a decent punch. Average malty taste, nothing too exciting.

2.02/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

once you get to the bottom and its not ice cold anymore it is almost unbearable to drink

This is my new favorite beer. This is the first ever malt liqueur that I have tried. I didn't know what I was missing all those years.

This beer has a light taste for a barley beer and a satisfying after taste. 8% was a "wow" factor too. I always did get more of a buzz from 5% beer than I did from 12% wine or 40% scotch for some strange reason. One of these Natty Daddy beers is quite satisfying for the night.

This is the worst beer I have ever had. I am not one to pour out a beer, but half-way thru this huge can, and I started to develop a headache. Instant hang-over in a can... had to go down the drain. Just awful.

This is by far the worst beer I have ever had.

1.17/5  rDev -51.7%

To beer fair any beer called, Natty Daddy, needs no other criticism, I drank this at a Pitt tailgate and much like English Bob, I walked up slowly on the beer tub,because I was drunk!

3.75/5  rDev +55%

I bought this drunk and drank it the next morning and for a 1.82 I kinda liked it

Really sweet and ok when Ice cold. Once it gets warmer its terrible.

2.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Really this is a fine beer for what it is. Which is to say...hiccup...if you are looking to get hammered on...hiccup...the cheap, this is the...hiccup...beer for...hiccup...you. There is nothing offensive or even remotely so, except for the flavor on the can from the constant smell of the place that I bought it. It isn't good beer. But it is fine for what it is.

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

Sitting here having the first one as I was tempted at the local convenience store at $2.99 for a 4 pack of 16 oz'ers.

Amazingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely better than most, if not all of the "malt liquors" I've sampled.

Drinkable extremely cold and a nice buzz at a low price if that's your goal!

1.21/5  rDev -50%

Not my favorite by any stretch. The appearance was a hazy pale yellow with no head and flat looking. The smell is all booze with no hop,malt, or anything else to speak of, maybe a little rice. The taste wasn't good either, mainly starting off weak with light rice flavor and then a heavy booze finish. Overall I think I'll stop taking freebies from salesmen for a little bit.

2.38/5  rDev -1.7%

It looks fine poured in a big schooner, with an ok head. It looks like a "thick" lager. It smells a tad bit rancid. First taste is rough. The mouthfeel is also "thick" for a lager. By the time you get a quarter into the 25oz, it tastes ok. Do not let it get warm ... you will die (it will become so "thick" and syrupy that it will take you to your knees).

I do drink this beer. I enjoy the heck out of it in the right circumstances. I truly love good beers and ales. This is not one of them. It does however, have it place, as a quick hit malt liquor that will put the crowd in the mood. It is similar to Fireball as compare to decent whiskey. It has it place as a party starter.

3.81/5  rDev +57.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Natty Daddy

25 Oz can poured into a frosty, glass mug

A: Golden yellow, Not too pale, Clear.
Fast growing head, About 3 fingers.
Not much retention, Less than 1 finger.
Moderate lacing.

S: Sweet Corn, Yeast, Malt, Bread
Cannot detect any hops, Though I imagine they are used at some point.

T: Apple-like sweetness, Corn, Slightly sour, or tart.
Definitely not your average tasting beer, or malt liquor,
Does not linger, No strong or offensive aftertaste.
Still not finding any strong hop flavor, But they could just be used to balance.

M: Light, Like water mixed with a little sugar to give it slight viscosity.
Stronger, more active carbonation when consumed just after opening,
As it sits, Most of the carbonation just evaporates away.

This beer surprised me, or rather, caught me off guard being much more bearable than I had expected. I used to buy only Best Ice until I think I was given on by accident, Now I'm hooked. Now I am not saying that it is this is one of the best beers ever, But I do not think it should be on the worst list either. When you read that it has 8% abv, You automatically think of a nasty malt liquor, Since not many 8% beers taste well. That being said, I find this beer has a good taste, Not offensive, And great price, At $1.35-$1.55, Although I've heard that it can go over $2 in certain areas. It used to be $1.09, But I guess they realized how many people preferred Natty Daddy over King Kobra, Steel Reserve or whichever High Gravity Malt Liquor.
Overall, This beer will remain with me throughout my life.

Natty Daddy (8%) from Anheuser-Busch