Follow our progress ...

Natty Daddy (8%) | Anheuser-Busch

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Luigi on 09-18-2011

Reviews: 93 | Ratings: 233
2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

Really this is a fine beer for what it is. Which is to say...hiccup...if you are looking to get hammered on...hiccup...the cheap, this is the...hiccup...beer for...hiccup...you. There is nothing offensive or even remotely so, except for the flavor on the can from the constant smell of the place that I bought it. It isn't good beer. But it is fine for what it is.

3.5/5  rDev +37.8%

Sitting here having the first one as I was tempted at the local convenience store at $2.99 for a 4 pack of 16 oz'ers.

Amazingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely better than most, if not all of the "malt liquors" I've sampled.

Drinkable extremely cold and a nice buzz at a low price if that's your goal!

1.21/5  rDev -52.4%

Not my favorite by any stretch. The appearance was a hazy pale yellow with no head and flat looking. The smell is all booze with no hop,malt, or anything else to speak of, maybe a little rice. The taste wasn't good either, mainly starting off weak with light rice flavor and then a heavy booze finish. Overall I think I'll stop taking freebies from salesmen for a little bit.

2.38/5  rDev -6.3%

It looks fine poured in a big schooner, with an ok head. It looks like a "thick" lager. It smells a tad bit rancid. First taste is rough. The mouthfeel is also "thick" for a lager. By the time you get a quarter into the 25oz, it tastes ok. Do not let it get warm ... you will die (it will become so "thick" and syrupy that it will take you to your knees).

I do drink this beer. I enjoy the heck out of it in the right circumstances. I truly love good beers and ales. This is not one of them. It does however, have it place, as a quick hit malt liquor that will put the crowd in the mood. It is similar to Fireball as compare to decent whiskey. It has it place as a party starter.

3.81/5  rDev +50%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Natty Daddy

25 Oz can poured into a frosty, glass mug

A: Golden yellow, Not too pale, Clear.
Fast growing head, About 3 fingers.
Not much retention, Less than 1 finger.
Moderate lacing.

S: Sweet Corn, Yeast, Malt, Bread
Cannot detect any hops, Though I imagine they are used at some point.

T: Apple-like sweetness, Corn, Slightly sour, or tart.
Definitely not your average tasting beer, or malt liquor,
Does not linger, No strong or offensive aftertaste.
Still not finding any strong hop flavor, But they could just be used to balance.

M: Light, Like water mixed with a little sugar to give it slight viscosity.
Stronger, more active carbonation when consumed just after opening,
As it sits, Most of the carbonation just evaporates away.

This beer surprised me, or rather, caught me off guard being much more bearable than I had expected. I used to buy only Best Ice until I think I was given on by accident, Now I'm hooked. Now I am not saying that it is this is one of the best beers ever, But I do not think it should be on the worst list either. When you read that it has 8% abv, You automatically think of a nasty malt liquor, Since not many 8% beers taste well. That being said, I find this beer has a good taste, Not offensive, And great price, At $1.35-$1.55, Although I've heard that it can go over $2 in certain areas. It used to be $1.09, But I guess they realized how many people preferred Natty Daddy over King Kobra, Steel Reserve or whichever High Gravity Malt Liquor.
Overall, This beer will remain with me throughout my life.

3.13/5  rDev +23.2%

OK...Lets face it man,this is not a Beer you drink and savor the flavor,this is a "Malt Liquor" you chill ICE F87king Cold and slam! it will get you where you want to be VERY Fast,and for about a buck 25 a 25oz can what can you bitch about? you must drink this stuff ICE COLD,Because as it warms it gets that "Malt Liquor" sweet,sick,nasty tatse to it..yuck! but ICE COLD? not half bad @ all~and it will "Kick your ass" so know this..lmao~beerwolf666*[jammimg some "the morningside~ 14}

3.03/5  rDev +19.3%

Iknow alot of folks look down on this one but for what it is,it is out standing.Here I can get my local grocery store sells it at $1.09 a 25oz can and with there store deal card they take .10c off that!So $10.00 about takes care of your weekend beer buzz because you only need 3-4 of these to get where you want to be if a cheap high is what you are seeking.This is not a beer for someone looking to savor but with a pizza and movie if your looking to sleep good it works.

1.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Its cheap, it does the job there is nothing to hate about it. It is what is is a inexpensive high alcohol beer that will get you drunk. If you are strictly a craft beer drinker yeah you wont like it cause it has nothing to do with craft but overall for the price and the alcohol percent you will have a hard to time beat it.

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours out a pale yellow with a fleeting head and some lacing.

S - Very neutral. I suspect that rice is the major adjunct in this beer.

T - Again, quite neutral and certainly not offensive.

M - Low carbonation with a "wet" mouth feel.

O - For what this is it isn't exactly "bad". When I hear people say this is "the worst beer" ever I have to wonder if they've live sheltered beer lives as there is plenty that make this stuff look like a world class brew. Bottom line is that for what it is it is pretty good.

2.66/5  rDev +4.7%

Natty Daddy Is Death In a Can made by Anheuser Busch. 8.1 % abv. This brew pours out a deep amber color with a small white head. For the money you will get messed up....Fucked up. The smell is rich with corn and al. The mouthfeel is bold and rough, but refreshing. Over all this a beer you buy when you want one beer. Not the greatest but not the worst out there. Taste is heavy and bitter. The color is darker than Natural ICE and Bud ICE. Mouth feel was ok. Overall I'm giving Natty Daddy a 3 out of 5.

1.72/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Natty daddy from the ultra rare 8oz mini can:

Pours with a scanty head of white on a clear, straw colored body. No retention no lace. An aroma of weak apple juice/cheap champagne. The flavor is more watered down apple juice with notes of nail polish remover and sadness. Medium body, fairly high carbonation and a slightly sweet finish. This is unusually bad, to the point that I actually laughed out loud when I first tasted it. Not sure what the point of this product is, since they already make other high gravity malt liquors that don't suck quite as much as this one.

3.68/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Honestly these beers arent that bad. They are not for a light weight because of their heavier alcohol content.. In my opinion if you can't handle a natty daddy you shouldn't be drinking alcohol at all, so yea. Drink on, friends and be safe. Much love

2.24/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Drunk straight from the 25 oz can (dat extra ounce) - because why would you put this in a glass?

A: (Insert typical adjunct lager/malt liquor appearance here) The can looks kinda cool.

S: Sweet, alcohol, corn.

T: Not that good. Flavor is dominated by an almost dirty taste. A sweetness and a long overcooked corn flavor accompany. The 8% is noticeable, but doesn't make me cringe.

M: Alcohol warms. More oily than any malt liquors our AALs I've had.

O: I'm just going to finish this can...aaand I'm buzzing.

2.71/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with significant amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy white head that reduces to a large patch of thick film and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of grainy malts with moderate to strong notes of corn adjunct and a touch of apple juice sweetness.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of grainy malts with moderate to strong flavors of corn adjuncts and sweetness. There is a light amount of alcohol and some strange chemical metallic flavors (which is all together not that pleasant). Light amounts of lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with slightly more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery with a light touch of alcohol warming.

O: For a malt liquor this one is really not that bad, it is drinkable and the flavors are not overly intense with the alcohol being fairly well hidden (which is unusual for the style).

2.83/5  rDev +11.4%

Cheap can of malt liquor found at the store I haven't tried before so how bad can it be?

Poured in a glass to take a look.

Amazingly pale colored for what it is. Clear pale yellow with a decent small white colored head that soon fades.

Smell as expected is sweet. Sweet corn scent with detectable amount of hop. Clean scent with some slight fruity scents mostly lemon. Seems to be quite clean of fusel alcohols. At least they didn't rush the fermentation with too high heat.

Starts out rather clean tasting for the beer style. Mineral water and some seltzer bubbles on the tongue. Slight bitterness and a slight metallic taste but overall good for the beer type.

Mouthfeel is decent.

Overall, for an American Malt Liquor it is quite good. Not going to fill the refrigerator with the stuff but is is better than 95% of what you will find.

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 4

They were out of keystone ice and I spied these little gems priced 3 for $3. I grew up on mickie's and colt45 so I am not adverse to a little buzz beer. I was pleasantly surprised it was not at all super skunky or burny. I have had occasion to sip a camo beer and this was no where near the horrid bilge that stuff is. Nowadays beer comes in different colors, flavors, alc %s, etc. This at least comes across as resembling the original german style beverage.

3.34/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This product is great for what it is: a cheap, high-octane, malt liquor that's easy to swallow and carries a heavy punch. It's best for those days when you want to get drunk quickly for under four dollars. Around here, a can usually costs under 2 dollars and, when I drink it quickly, gives me a pretty nice buzz. Two cans and I'm officially drunk. Sure, it's not the best tasting beer, but what do you expect for something that costs less than most big bottles of soda. This is my goto cheap-ass beer.

1.54/5  rDev -39.4%

This is by far the worst beer I have ever had. It is straw colored. It kind of smells like plastic. you can smell the alcohol in it. The taste is kind of sour. I took about 2 drinks of it and got almost instant gut rot. It might make me really sick if I drank a whole one.

2.4/5  rDev -5.5%

24oz can poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear light golden pale with a two finger white head. Fairly quick to dissipate, the head doesnt leave much lacing on the glass. Not too much visible carbonation.

S: Typical aroma of most BMC beers with a slightly sweeter malt body and more alcohol presence.

T: Not totally offensive in the flavor department. Corn sweetness is the main character of this brew. Booze is well hidden for 8% as long as you drink it cold. Will admit I thought this was going to be worse than it was.

M: Light body with fairly low carbonation. Somewhat clean finish, not too sticky from all the malts.

Overall its a strong beer to get you drunk. As someone else mentioned, the can states its both a lager and an ale which is pretty funny. Drink this sucker cold.

2.99/5  rDev +17.7%

From the 24 ounce can it pours gold with one finger of quickly vanishing white foamy head. A small ring of white remains. Two or three spots of lacing.
Smell is fermented apple skins with a kiss of corn.
Taste is like Natural Light with a half jigger of vodka dumped in it. The malts and corn vie for the lead with the alcohol winning out. There is probably a kiss of hops somewhere in this brew but hard to prove. Malty and boozy. At least it is not the liquid candy that many of these malt liquors taste like.
Mouthfeel is fizzy and light. Finish is sweet of course but later a measure of dryness creeps in.
Overall I don't claim to have tried all the malt bombs available but this is at least average so far. You can tell it is related to Natural Light/ Ice.

4.4/5  rDev +73.2%

I like this beer because it's a smooth tasting beer and it's inexpensive.
If I have two sleepless nights I buy 2 Natty Daddy's (24 oz cans) and begin
drinking around 8 pm. It just makes me relax and around 10 or 10:30 pm
I go to bed and fall asleep pretty quickly and don't wake up till 6 or 7 am.

3.29/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A lot of the reviews on this beer are unfair. It has already been said, but this beer is not brewed for beer aficionados. I usually drink craft beers that are brewed for flavor, so this is different for me. This beer is a cheap 8% ABV beer that is marketed for the buzz over the flavor. I purchased it almost as a joke and felt like I was being brave in a way for drinking it. I'm not a total stranger to high gravity beers, but before I opened this Natty Daddy, I didn't expect to be able finish it.

This is so much better than I would have ever thought! It will give you a quick buzz and the flavor and mouthfeel aren't so bad. Personally, I would use this as a pregamer for sporting events and concerts. I'd much rather drink a 24oz of this before going into a venue than overspend stale tasting bud lights inside.

I recommend this for people who would like to get buzzed fast or would like to catch a buzz on a budget. This will get you drunk.

3.32/5  rDev +30.7%

okay, let me start out by saying I have drank everything from boones farm to the highest end single malt scotch, I am a big fan of natural ice ... so I saw this and I had to try it, I will agree it is definitely no natural ice ... but, It is what it is... and that is a quick buzz in a can... or 2 to 3 cans, whatever... anyways, for what it is it is not half bad, but if I had a few extra bucks I would just slam a 12 pack of natural ice and call it a sure thing.

1.85/5  rDev -27.2%

Well folks ... I am a retired chemistry teacher, now working as a chef in a restaurant that now sells "beer to go" ... I guess that my "attention" was "piqued" by the "NattyDaddy" display which "highlighted" the 8.0% alcohol by volume content. So .. yep .. I bought a 24 ounce can ... the taste was HORRIBLE ... to me like, "liquid aluminum" .. but .. the 8% worked its "magic" ... so your choice is obviously ... "taste or effect" (or is it affect?) Oh yea ... we sell it for $1.29 for a 24 ounce can!

Haha, all you arrogant so called beer connoisseurs would be begging for an ice cold 24oz can of Natty Daddy on a hot summer day if you were without. And you would love every drop of its perfectly intoxicating effects! Had to give this beer all 5' to offset all the undeserved haters. This is a mega brewed beer. You should rate accordingly and not go comparing it to craft beers. It does a great job at being what it is meant to be. So go buy a 24oz Natty Daddy and revel in its perfectly intoxicating glory.

Natty Daddy (8%) from Anheuser-Busch