Join our email list →

Natty Daddy (8%) - Anheuser-Busch

Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

poor

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

American Malt Liquor | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Luigi on 09-18-2011

1.99/5  rDev -22%

24 fl oz. can. Natty Daddy, my first official review on BeerAdvocate of an Anheuser-Busch product. I'm a little frightened, to be quite honest. This can has obviously been sitting for a while, the lip was dirty and I had to wash it off, and the can is pretty banged up. Code on the bottom which I won't bother with. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass, for the sake of my own dignity.

A - Pours three fingers of quickly dissolving eggshell white head, audibly fizzing away. Typical urine malt liquor yellow appearance. Some bubbles, and some sediment twirling around. Thin streaks of lacing near the bottom of the glass.

S - Smells of dusty, stale, malt and corn adjuncts, old man sweat, and contempt.

T - Artificially sweet sugary corn syrup type taste. Malty, far too artificially sweet. Doesn't have any real legitimate corn taste, just artificial adjuncts, fruitiness, and syrup. I guess the main point of all that is to cover the vague notion of rubbing alcohol that begins to creep out as you sip on this.

M - Feel is dry and bitter, actually. Slight medicinal aftertaste, but not as disgusting as the Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity. Carbonation isn't nearly as awful and bloating as it could be.

Overall, this Anheuser-Busch Natty Daddy gets the thumbs down. Too fake, syrupy, sweetened, and virtually flavorless. If it weren't for the 8.00% abv, there would be absolutely no reason to drink this at all. This beer is nearly as bad as the Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity, although maybe not quite as awful. This is among one of the worst beers I have ever drank, but I have definitely had worse.

Anheuser-Busch Natty Daddy ---2/5.

2.4/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Natty Daddy is what it is... a cheap "GET ME BUZZED" (or drunk) beer. It isn't a beer for fans of beer, but those that actually HATE beer. There's nothing about this beer that's particularly good, and it's actually somewhat off-putting. The beginning sip is highly carbonated with corn. Immediately after, there's a really odd Sweet & Low sweetness followed by "dirty" malts. The most "bleh" thing about this (and many adjuncts in my opinion) is that fake, artificial sugar flavor. Corn syrup? I don't know what it is, but it's not pleasant.

Natty Daddy is what I said it is, and what everybody thinks of it as -- a beer for a buzz. At 8%, it'll do the job... it's not a beer to drink when you want to enjoy what you're drinking.

2.49/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Ah come on people! This is a beer reviewing website.... Yes, this is cheap, bottom shelf beer, yes it is definitely not high brow beer, but you know what? This beer isn't anywhere as bad as all the 1 scores it has received. This beer is for quick buzz drinkers, or maybe a party day at the river. This is not an aficionado beer. Anyways, this beer pours a light golden malty color. It is nearly clear in appearance, has a very acidic mouth feel, it is strong on the tongue and has an overabundance of froth and lace. This beer is nowhere near world class, but it is nowhere near the worst of the world class.

2.88/5  rDev +12.9%

Handsome blue can 24 ozs from a local 7/11 type. $1.59 This better be good $1.59 for this type of beer! No idea of the colour as i have this from the can wrapped in the proper brown bag. Aroma i can make out is sweet malts,perfumy that’s about it Taste sweet semi sweet apple,slight tobacco, a little toasted bread a tiny bit of Halls mentholyptus. Not to shabby for style Palate is fine for style and the carbonation works.Alcohol is hidden which is a tremendous plus for this style. Overall not to bad for the style.

I am not about to try this beer. I have a story to tell and it is quite interesting! A man in a nearby town killed a woman and admitted to drinking Natty Daddy beer after the killing. I work in a convience store. Every time I wait on a customer, that is what I think of...that man and the graphic detail of how he killed that lady. I didn't know her. One of my customers came in the store on a Monday or Tuesday and was buying that beer. I told him of the man that killed that lady and my customer said it wasn't the beer that killed her. I told him he is correct, but when you are "sober" you aren't as big as you are when you are drunk. Wednesday came and went. Thursday came...he got into an argument with his wife and it could have been physical though the police are saying there weren't signs of physical altercations on her body. She was hit by a car and killed. Two woman are DEAD from men drinking this beer. Ironic?!?!?!?!?!? That is what I would like to know, which brought me to this site. stillbuff and i quote says on here (7-2-12) "totally tasted the booze and thoughts of doing bad sh*t immediately came through my head which told me that this was a good malt liquor." THOUGHTS OF DOING BAD SH*T IMMEDIATELY CAME THROUGH MY HEAD...hmmm. Another quote from thekevlarkid (1-29-12) "Nothing to speak of and clearly just a beer that's trying to get people ripped so they'll be half conscious when they mug someone in a row house and smoke their chiba one the street before being hit by a car because that is how it is done here in Balitmore. Awesome." BEFORE BEING HIT BY A CAR. Yep! That is how it is done where I am too because now there are FIVE children without a beautiful mother. Death is something serious that doesn't happen every day and for two men to be involved in deaths with women after drinking this beer, is it ironic or is it THE beer??? I am not going to try it!

2.79/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Pours very clear yellow with a small bubbly white head. Leaves no lacing.

S - Smells heavily of malt, Moderate amounts of green apple, slighty grainy.

T - A bit adjuncty up front, green apple soon follows, corn flakes come next, slighty tingly on the tongue from the alcohol. Green apple flavor sticks around long after the drink.

M - Light crisp body with a moderate amount of tingly carbonastion. Fits the beer.

O - Overall, Pretty good for what it is but only a decent beer in general. Would do well at a party. This was the last one of these at the small grocery store that I work at and it had been sitting for a few months so it's probably a bit stale but whatever.

2.01/5  rDev -21.2%

Anheuser Busch : Natty DADDY

APPEARANCE: Kept it classy and poured it into a pint glass from the 24oz can. Pale straw yellow. Little head, no lace really.

SMELL: Stale, sweet corn and rice, a bit of musty arm pit. Smells like oxidized college keg beer.

TASTE: A big sweet demon, lots of corn and rice, really no hop bitterness and scarce to no other flavors. Flash of bland maltyness, more sweet and does a fair job at masking the alcohol if nothing else. The off scent of the beer thankfully was not present in the taste. Alittle bit of oxidized green apple. Eh, this is a pretty sweet malt liquor, even by hobo standards.

FEEL: Medium bodied, yet very flimsy and watery.

OVERALL: This is a sweet one dimensional beer that will get you drunk. Play your beer pong with caution dudes.

2.83/5  rDev +11%

I decided to stop into the local Kangaroo Express, just wanted something to lighten the day. A 'Kid", probably 20 years younger than me, said to his girquilfriend.. while pointing to Natty Daddy, .. "2 of those will knock you off your feet." I asked about the alcohol content, adnd he said 8%.
_ It was that kind of a day, and I purchased 2 - 24oz. -- Well, the first one went down like a water, and by the second one... I was getting a buzz. But.. the buzz quickly left. Seems like its just like any AHBush beers...
_ I didn't taste any malt. .. A strong malt, won't let you chug down.. it kinda makes to savor the flavor.
Next time, I'll pay a few cents more ... just get a couple of Corona's or Heinekin's .

2.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours very aggressively into a pilsner glass. About a 5 finger head. Very pale, straw yellow body with a frothy white head. Clarity is very good. Ok retention and no lacing.

S- Very light with cereal grains abundant. Hardly any of the usual skunked and malted flavors of most malt liquors. Smells just like a Natural Light.

T- Surprisingly inoffensive. Hints of the malts sneak in with the cereal grains, altering the flavor profile slightly from a normal Natty Light. Almost some fruity flavors mixed in. Corn is main grain flavor and flavor is light, just like the smell.

M- Light and highly carbonated. Cannot detect the alcohol. Somewhat refreshing when cold.

Overall, not terrible for a malt liquor. If I had to drink ghetto-style, this would be my choice. Not great, but not terrible, and still tastes sort of like a beer.

3.36/5  rDev +31.8%

Reviewed to style - not my favorite style, but surprisingly good for the style!

Pulled up at my local and realized that my wallet was in my desk drawer at work. So, I dug through the ashtray for change - I found $2.fiddy. I see where this is going....

A: Served in the blue can it came in - proper drinkware for this IMHO. I'm sure there's some sorta concoction in there, do I really want to see it? 2.0 for the funky font on the can.

S: Wow! Granted it's not Stone Ruination, but for a Malt Liquor it's --- not awful! A bit of grain, some fruitiness - adjunct based alcohol? A whole lot of metallic canniness....(made that werd up meself!)

T: Pretty darn good! Tastes a lot like a somewhat old, low end lager to me. A lot of steely grain, not cloyingly sweet, 8% alcohol is well masked.

M: Lager - a tad oily at the end of the can, one was enough. Any more and it would get ugly quick.

O: I was shocked - I expected this to be on par with Steel Reserve, but it really wasn't horrible. It wasn't good, but considering that I got it with ashtray money, it was amazingly drinkable.

Recommended if you find yourself in my situation!

After reading a few of the other reviews, I really wish I'd been at County Line beach and drank this as StillBuff did! ROFL on the "...thoughts of doing bad sh*t..."

3.25/5  rDev +27.5%

This is what Bud Light Platinum should taste like...

why this is in the American Malt Liquor category is a bit odd...this is a lager...i will review it as such.

24oz can bought at Stripes in Lubbock Texas for $1.29...on sale when it was first released. its $1.99 now.

easily the best in the Natural line...drinks like a Natty Ice but not a horrible afterbite like a Natty Ice...it leaves a typical lager aftertaste...not much at all

This is a incredibly smooth and light lager for 8.0%

the taste isnt outstanding but its not bad...one of the best A-B brands. Natty Daddy and Hurricane High Grav are where its at for economy drinking,ABV and some sort of flavor when it comes to the big brewers

If they lowered the price a tad in some areas,itd be the goto drunkfest beer for the college set.

Its worth a try once...its way better than Natural Ice...that being said...its slightly above average.lol

3.12/5  rDev +22.4%

Curiousity and a general desire to be young and without responsibility lead me to purchase just one of these little jewels from my local money-laudering-mart. Alas, I'm niether young nor without significant responsibility, so I will enjoy this mildly sweet high test malt beverage, and hope none of my esteemed friends or colleagues ever make the connection between my BA gang name and my true identity.

Pleasantly surprised. When compared to a baseline of it's peers, it performs admirably well. I taste only the faintest hint of barley derived flavor...everything else is pure adjunct flavoring. The surprise is that it is so well balanced that I can not pinpoint the bastardized sugar source. Well done, Natty.

Mouthfeel is crisp cool and dangerously refreshing.

Best Malt liquor on the market.

2.14/5  rDev -16.1%

Drank this at the beach illegally in a brown bag like any man should.
Had a real "suck" taste. Being a man of no money I have a lot of experience with malt liquors and I still enjoyed this. Totally tasted the booze and thoughts of doing bad sh*t immediately came through my head which told me that this was a good malt liquor. Sent some real stupid texts to chicks after this beer... Drink this if its on sale.

2.29/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let's see...normally, I wouldn't bother with a malt liquor, but a combination of morbid curiosity, low price (99 cents), and a desire to get drunk on the cheap led me to getting a can of this. 24 oz. can poured into a weizen glass.

A: Pours a typical light straw color with perfect clarity. The white color head is a six finger monstrosity with very small bubbles, which fades to nothing in no time. Even still, good looking for a malt liquor.

S: Somewhat unpleasant graininess and cooked vegetables. About what I expected it to be - terrible.

T: This, however, isn't completely awful. There's a typical corn and grain note, but somewhere after the midtaste comes a candied sweetness that isn't as unpalatable as I expected. The aftertaste is a little offputting and overly chemical (likely due to the booze coming through the flavor), but otherwise, I could drink the entire can of this. In fact, it's slightly better than expected!

M: Distractingly syrupy; otherwise, it's light bodied with a wet finish and high carbonation. Touches of alcohol can be felt on the palate, but it's far from overbearing.

O: I am really not hating this like I expected to. It's certainly not very good, but it only serves one purpose (getting drunk on the cheap), and in that regard, it fulfills exactly what it sets out to do. Worth a try if you can get it inexpensively like I did, just don't expect much.

3.15/5  rDev +23.5%

24oz can
Served in a nonic pint

A - Clear, pale and yellow. Voluptuous white head.

S - Grain and some alcohol.

T - It actually had some taste compared to the Light version. I get some grain and alcohol.

M - Thin

O - For all intents and purposes this reminds me of an ice beer.

2.03/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from a 24oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright yellow color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, adjuncts, a touch of alcohol and a very faint bit of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some sweetness from a very thin malt character. There’s a very mild hops presence and a faint touch of alcohol bite that come in next but not much balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth but a bit watery, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very flavorful even in comparison to other beers in the style, goes down ok and not too filling since there isn’t a lot to the beer, good kick, decent representation of style, as the name implies this beer is basically Natty Ice with more alcohol.

3.17/5  rDev +24.3%

24 oz can into a frosted mug. $1.40, 8% abv!!! Ohhh yeah!!

A - Dark straw yellow body with a fluffy white head. Lots of head...

S - Sweet corn, grain, and a touch of bready malts. Not bad.

T - Sweet corn and bready malts. I actually find myself enjoying the flavor? Interesting. Mouth feel is watery and light, refreshing with little evidence of the high abv.

O - One of the better malt liquors I've had. Not bad.

2.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from can into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden color with a big billowy slightly off white head. The head fades fast leaving a very light amount of lacing.

Smell –Corn is quite heavy in the nose, with a little bit of caramel sweetness.

Taste – Corn strikes again, with a white sugar taste mixed in. These flavors last to the end of the taste, where a big alcohol flavor then makes it presence known leaving a very warming, but somewhat off boozy/corn aftertaste in the mouth.

Mouthfeel – The mouthfeel on this one is a bit on the creamier side and the carbonation level is just below average. It makes it very easy to drink and is actually quite nice.

Overall – The mouthfeel is the nicest component of the beer. It really is not the best malt out there and with it being more expensive then something like a Steel reserve and being, at least in my mind, of lesser quality, I am not sure why someone would choose this brew if looking for something low cost and high potency.

2.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a pale golden yellow with a thing layer of loose, soft, bubbly, off white head that quickly fades away. The smell is faint; grainy and sweet. The flavor the same; grainy, sweet, mild grass, faint alcohol. The mouthfeel is very light, thin, and crisp.

This is a drinkable beer that's actually very much ignored. Rightfully so. This is not a good beer.

A tall can purchased from a gas station on my way to Santa Barbara a couple weeks back...how couldn't this be good?

The pour is a clear, pale, golden yellow color with a white head. A lot of corn, corn syrup, and sugar. Maybe some fruity esters and cereal/grain sweetness to it. Just really quite sweet. Some pear and apple esters along with lots of grain and sugary sweetness. Definitely heavy on the corn. Another fine malt beverage.

2.96/5  rDev +16.1%

Nothing like starting off Super Bowl Sunday with a fine 24oz can of malt liquor. Ironically served in a Hill Farmstead glass. Purchased this at a gas station in the Detroit 'burbs.

A - Voluminous white foam with surprisingly good retention. It eventually settles to a thin partial cap, thick collar, and a bit of splotchy lace. The body is a shade darker than a dehydrated man's urine and completely transparent. All in all, one of the most handsome beers I've had in this style.

S - The standard blend of white grape juice, sugar, grain, and corn. Not a ton of alcohol presence, although this is a lower ABV malt liquor.

T - Taste is also surprisingly palatable, with some fruity notes mingling with creamed corn. This is unfortunately marred by an unpleasant chemical finish.

M - Medium body, with surprisingly pleasant carbonation. Chewy, and fairly clean in the finish, with only light warming alcohol. One of the best feels I've had from a malt liquor.

D - Actually pretty decent - I suspect this is just Natty Light before they cut it with water. Other than the finish you could actually drink this with some nachos. Expensive for the style at $1.69.

2.77/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Straw yellow. The head starts off good and receeds very quickly but leaves decent lacing. Nice carbonation.

Smell: Sweet corn, slightest touch of malt.

Taste: Starts off ever so slightly malt liquorish, turns sweet like an artificial sweetner, and ends up calming down in sweetness like canned corn.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery, flat with very little carbonation.

This beer is easy to drink and will easily quench a thirst. There's nothing offensive about it but there's nothing particularly good either. It' almost perfectly average but the lack of a decent head and lack of carbonation leave it below average. As a side note, my Natty Daddy was 6% abv. Other reviews showed an 8% abv.

2.23/5  rDev -12.5%

Out of a can this beer was a clear, pale, golden color with one finger of fluffy white head. The retention was not bad and it left streaks of lacing. The aroma was of corn, sweet malt, cheap booze and an artificial sweetness akin to candy. The flavors were similar, being pretty much the standard grainy booze and sweet malt trying to hide the grainy booze. Nothing to speak of and clearly just a beer that’s trying to get people ripped so they’ll be half conscious when they mug someone in a row house and smoke their chiba one the street before being hit by a car because that’s how its done here in Baltimore. Awesome. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium/light and the carbonation high.

2.05/5  rDev -19.6%

Sometimes you just have to sit back and wonder why Anheuser-Busch does what it does. I always applaud a new high gravity beer (read: inexpensive with lots of alcohol) but even I can draw a line in the sand.

A - I'm not putting this into a glass. The very pale yellow color of the liquid left on the rim of the can tells me it is as expected. At 8.0%, to look like a light beer isn't impressive.

S - Typical A-B product. Very similar to Hurricane High Gravity. Stanky malts, vinegar, and rice. Extra stanky.

T - Bitter. I thought this would be a stronger tasting Natural Ice, but it isn't. Dangerously close to Hurricane High Gravity but separated by the lack of sweetness. Did I say bitter?

M - Poor. Natural Ice is highly carbonated. This should be highly carbonated. It isn't. Opening the can only produces a medium carbonation. By the time you reach the swill you're praying to God there is enough carbonation left to make this seem like a beer.

O - Come on A-B. Really? Natural (Natty) Ice is competitive in it's class. This, well, isn't. I'd choose Hurricane High Gravity all day over Natty Daddy. I applaud you for trying, but you can do better.

You know its really not that bad for a high alcohol beer made by Budweiser. It has a fruity almost Belgian yeast strain smell to it followed by that graininess you'd find in most macro lagers...which I really don't mind at all to be honest with you. You get a crisp bite from the carbonation in the beginning followed by a syrupy grainy malt backbone and then ending with that fruity almost bubblegum like taste. Only the very slightest bit of hop bite as well.

You can sorta taste the alcohol on this one and is definitely a party get buzzed fast sorta beer. With that being said though its a lot better and has a lot better of crisp fuller mouthfeel than the regular natty's and budweiser beers. The high alcohol at a cheap price without an offensive taste but more of a craft beer sorta fruitiness taste makes this an average beer that I wouldnt mind having again.

Natty Daddy (8%) from Anheuser-Busch