Natty Daddy (8%) - Anheuser-Busch

Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Luigi on 09-18-2011

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.96/5  rDev +15.6%

Hee hee hee. I CANnot control my glee at finding a new AML in a CAN! I might have saved this gem for NBS, but it was like that special present under the tree that simply could not wait until the morning of 25 December. I love that Natty is mature enough now to have its own Daddy. I want Natty Mommy, Natty Baby Girl, Natty Baby Boy, hell, let's shoot for the whole Natty family! Who says that the nuclear family is dead in the U.S.A.?

Nice CAN, no info other than 24 ounces of pleasure.

Yo, the Crack & Glug was almost a disaster as Daddy came roaring out at me! Back off, big man, my Pops is long gone and I'll kick your ass in his stead! He backed off in terms of head as it started with a finger of fizzy, bone-white head and quickly became nothingness. Color was a sunshine-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into my hangover future. Gah. Nose was sickeningly sweet with pink bubble gum as the prominent scent. It also smelled faintly of fabric softener, plastics factory and dry cleaning plant, but not enough to worry about a Cyberman invasion. This was just a poorly made beer and evocative of the style. Mouthfeel was hot and abrasive, ensuring that the salty, deep-fried snack that I CANsumed just beforehand was washed away. Woof! Wow! This is the kind of quality beverage that I truly enjoy in the summertime, hanging out in the alley with my homies. The price point was just right and I applaud the brewery's willingness to step up to the plate and fill a void where none previously existed. Man, this is the champagne-like beverage for which New Year's Eve was invented. I want to load my gat so that I am ready for the celebration, dig, my G? Finish was bone-dry, to the point that I barely noticed its passing. Hooo.

A final observation in that it was in a Rexam CAN. That may not mean much to the casual CANsumer, but it was my understanding that InBev/A-B had its own CANning division, separate from Ball, Crown, or Rexam. Things that make you go, "Hmmm."

3.35/5  rDev +30.9%

Natty Daddy has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is a sharp, sweet, corn husk smell, and the taste is sweet, yet not overly so, and one picks up grain, a nice hop bitterness at the end, and there is a mild alcohol under-taste. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Natty Daddy finishes pretty crisp, clean, refreshing, and easy drinking. I can see how this could get someone in trouble. Overall, this is a winner for Anheuser-Busch.

2.65/5  rDev +3.5%

11284 stamped on bottom of 24oz can. Poured into a Budweiser pint glass.

Appearance - Pours decent sized loose white head with decent to low retention and low stick. Clear gold body.

Smell - Musky corn. Dry.

Taste - Overly bubble gum sweet. Bitter. Lingers.

Mouthfeel - Astringent and a touch solvent. A bit sticky.

Overall Drinkability - Slightly above par. (for those of you who know nothing of golf, that means slightly less than average)

2.44/5  rDev -4.7%

"11284" on the bottom of the can, if a julian date, roughly mid-Sept. '11.

Into a mug this beer pours the typical shade of urine gold, very pale and crystal clear. An angry swarm of bubbles rise, and generate a feeble 1/4" head of white foam, that sticks around for all of 20 seconds before vanishing completely. It looks like apple juice, and if it weren't for a few stray rising bubbles, you really couldn't tell the difference.

Nondescript sweet apple aroma. Barely there, very little to go on. Bland and completely average.

Harsh astringency, mealy apples, perceptible alcohol. Cereal grain, wet paper, sweet envelope glue, palate-deadening alcohol... tongue is numbing down after a few swigs. Fizzy and limp feel, though thankfully lighter in body than some of the more questionable malt liquors out there. It does finish relatively clean, though there is the lingering astringency and alcohol harshness. Cleaner than many, I guess that's an asset when evaluating crunk juice in a can.

How well does it wash down homemade pizza? That's the only real question here. Fairly well, as long as there's some hot sauce to mute the insipid taste, and eclipse the alcohol notes. Drinkability is high despite scoring poorly in general.

Drink it as cold as possible and with food, if you must.

2.72/5  rDev +6.3%

High alcohol Natty? saw this one last week at my local light night store and deceided to try it. why not? it pours normal clear and golden but the smell is really clean. I was surprised by the taste being so clean as well. I would not buy again unless i turn homeless but overall not too bad for a BMC product in tall boy format.

2.5/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a pretty pale yellow with a huge fizzy head. Settles down pretty quickly.

You can definitely smell the alcohol in this compared to most other beers by A-B. Overall, nothing special, but nothing rancid as was expected.

Taste? Not bad, almost on the verge of being decent. The 8% isn't too overpowering, but there is a big kick afterward. I have had malt liquor that went right down the drain after a couple sips, but this one went down smooth, even throughout the second can.

I must say, my expectations weren't exactly that high for this, but I was really surprised. If it gets a little easier to find around here I would gladly pick this up again. Plus, at $2.69 for two of these, the bang-for-the-alcohol-buck is unbeatable.

2.69/5  rDev +5.1%

poured into pint glass

this is simply a higher alcohol more bodied version of natty light. not much to it. appears a darker yellow than normal AB beers. smells of a little alcohol, and maybe some corn and cereal. tastes like a more full bodied natty light. no hops or malts. mostly has some good flavors to it. cant really describe it. not much mouth feel. very carbonated. great for the price. but as a beer to just drink nothing special at all.

2.82/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts and grains. Taste is of green apples, some malts, maybe a touch of plastic? Some alcohol is present but not overpowering. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, while nothing great, I have certainly had high gravity lagers far worse than this.

2.35/5  rDev -8.2%

No usual born on date anywhere on the can. Bottom of the can says 11258. August 25, 2011?

It pours a yellow colour with a 1 finger head of foam, and decent lacing.

The smell is the usual for the style, lots of grain, corn, nondescript bitterness.

The taste is pretty uninspiring, even for the style, which is a tough one to impress most palates. A residual sweetness that comes from boosting the abv; grain, lots of alcohol. Not a tasty Malt Liquor at all....not even close to one of my favourites, Mickey's Malt Liquor. There's no real actual taste to speak of; it's meant to get one drunk as quickly as possible for the cheap, I reckon. Why did they bother to reinvent the wheel of misfortune?

That's it. I have no more to say other than, tick it if you must, but that's all it's good for. Yuck.

4.35/5  rDev +69.9%

This beer poured a honey gold with a moderate white head. It smells boozy, sweet, and cheap. Are those flavours? I think they are. It smells a little more like euro strong lagers than typical American malt liquor. So, this may be a very pleasant surprise.
The taste is really not bad for a malt liquor. I don't know why people are hating on it. Comparing it within its class, I'll have to give it a high mark. I've been waiting for a brew like this to be released. A sweet, smooth malt liquor that tastes boozy, between 8 and 9% alcohol and DOESN'T taste like nasty chemicals. This doesn't, so in its class, that's a plus right there.
The taste makes it clear that despite the smell, it doesn't quite meet the euro strong lager standard. For some reason, those are always better than their American counterparts. It's no Olde English either, but I'd say that's the closest comparison. It's like an Olde English that tastes boozier (a good thing), but has a little bit of an astringent off-flavour that makes it not quite on the same level as OE, which I consider to be the top of its class. Good stuff, though. I'll probably get it again. I'm sad that it was Busch that finally did this, but I've been waiting for someone to make a very simple, boozy, sweet malt liquor following the European example of making them simple and cheap, but not tasting like nasty chemicals or green apples. So, congrats Busch. I wish someone else could have done it first.

Final note: Great swill. That last few gulps of warm malt liquor that can have a devastating effect on your opinion of the cheap beer you've been swiggin. In this case, not a big problem. Even after it warms up, it's perfectly tolerable. But like all malt liquors, it's much better cold.

1.55/5  rDev -39.5%

24 ounce can served up in a pint glass, this is horrible looking, smelling, and tasting beer. But there's the freshman year college student living in me that has to try this beer. WTF, it's fizzy yellow and high in alcohol. No head retention or lacing this beer looks like carbonated cider or apple juice. Aroma has a solvent chemical smell to it that really doesn't sit well with me, believe me this isn't the beer I'm going to reach for ever again. Flavor wise it's hard to believe they make something this horrible who pitched this to the marketing team, alright the insanely popular Natty Light has to be bigger let's call it NattyDaddy. Hard to swallow down, pretty smooth considering the alcohol content as far as any type of a burn. Harsh in the flavor cooked corn veggies a hint of metallic disgust and more chemical solvent no classic natural ingredients come to mind other than damn this came from a lab and a factory setting. Mouthfeel is horrible the flavor won't leave the palate this is getting dumped down the drain. That pretty much explains how I feel about 24 ounce malt liquor.

2.06/5  rDev -19.5%

Holly crap!! NattyDaddy!!!!

Golden pale with a good lace around the glass.

Smells like alcohol, corn, and some grass.

The taste is pretty much cooked corn, some barley, and cereal. Not much hops involved. Oh yeah and alcohol.

Light body medium carbonated. Not much else to be said.

This beer by it's very name is marketed to people who need to get drunk quick. Ever heard the term "fratty light"? This is the same thing on steroids. And how can the can have ale and lager on the label at the same time? That is why I do know really know what style this is. Malt liquor I guess?

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last