Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

to view more.
Ratings: 1,658 | Reviews: 337
Reviews by Bierwolf:
1.61/5  rDev -27.1%

I bought a 6 pack and had them over a few days. They were born in Januaryof 2012.

Appearance: A pale gold or straw color. Poured into a pilsener glass and achieved about a finger of foam which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing. Fair carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: I am not being mean here. This smelled like detergent. Thought my glass may not have been rinsed completely but all six of them smelled the same.

Taste: There is very little taste. Slight hops but mostly nothing.

Mouthfeel: Thin. You can feel the alcohol on your tongue which at 6% you should. Finishes smooth and semi-dry.

Overall: This is disappointing. Even as a light lager this leaves a lot to be desired. There was a great deal of hype building up to this product being released but for me I won't be having this again. AB offers other light lagers that more pleasing than this one.

3.15/5  rDev +42.5%

Jeeez! you would think this stuff is brewed with toxic waste and camel piss from so many of the ultra Poor reviews here on "Beer SNOB Advocate" ...why is it that so many of you yuppie scumbag morons have to slag EVERY single American made "Macro Lager" there is? hey,I am NOT a "Light Beer" guy,and I drink ALL kinds of Beers/ales,in fact in my fridge right now I have ,"Ballast Point Sculpin & Big Eye IPA,Sierra Nevada Pale ale,Torpedo,and Celebration,Porter & stout,also have some olde English 800,colt 45,Schlitz malt liquor" OML" and a bunch of Macro Lagers too~ Bud/Coors/Pabst/Schlitz...I LOVE all kinds of beer is my point, but reading some [most] of the reviews here about "Bud Light Platinum" it makes me really hate all you "Beer Snobs" even more,so it is not a gr8 beer,but for a light American made Macro lager,it is not bad @ all,I would 4sure serve this beer @ BBQ's,with steamed shrimp/Crabs,or any sort of get together where all you want is a cold ,crisp,refreshing beer that does not weigh you down or fill you up,and as far as "Light Beers" go..I actually like this one quite a bit, STOP rating beers the WRONG way yuppie scum,rate them for their style,and do not compare them to your favorite Craft Beer that cost 20 bucks a 6er! hope all yer BMW's blow a piston~whiny clowns...

1.57/5  rDev -29%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff doesn't taste any different than Bud Light. I haven't done a side-by-side to be sure, though, so perhaps there are some nuances and small subtleties that hadn't carried over in my memory.

Pale straw-yellow body, crystal clear with a bone-white "head" that fizzles away quicker than my checking account after BCBS is released each year. Grains on the nose, grains on the nose, smellin' like a BUD with yo' grains on the nose. Grainy, corny, and full of metallic tones, this stuff is not a pleasure to smell, and it only gets more pungent as it warms.

Drink it ice cold, so you numb your taste buds from the poorly laid out grains and sweet, corn-like malts. More metallic in the taste, this stuff couldn't be any more "meh". No alcohol taste present (6% ABV woo!) Crisp, lighter-than-light mouth feel. Stay away from this stuff, unless you're trying to hit that frat boy buzz.

Bottle: Poured a clear pale yellow color lager with a small bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma consists of light sweet malt with well hidden adjunct. Taste is also dominated by sweet malt with no clearly identifiable adjunct but also very limited characteristics. Body is light with average carbonation. I actually drank this side-by-side with a regular bud light and I must say that the platinum is actually better though still quite bland in the grand scheme of things.

I don't understand why this exists. just buy good beer, folks.

1.83/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

wasn't sure it was possible to be worse than bud light, but you pulled it off!

1.94/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a clear gold with a foamy bone head that settles to tiny wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some fruity but vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with fruity, grassy, and corn-like flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very poor beer that is slightly better than regular Bud Light but that isn't really hard to do.

W/e and won't drink again...

Poured into a frosted mug. From memory; normally, I'd never do a review in this manner, but holy shit, I can still vividly remember what this tastes like.

A: Pours a textbook light straw color with perfect clarity and intense carbonation trails. Even with the frosted mug, the head is hilariously pathetic. Typical nasty-looking swill.

S: Almost non-existent. A touch of grain here, a dab of artificial sweetener there...wait a minute, a dab of artificial sweetener?

T: Hatred. Sickness. Vitriol. Insanity. Depression. No, these aren't the flavors BL Platinum exhibit - these are the emotions that run through my neural synapses when this liquid immediately hits my tongue. No joke, about 4 oz. of this made me sick. This is basically Bud Light (itself pretty awful) but with a nasty cotton candy sweetness to it. The cloying factor seems necessary to balance the additional alcohol...but holy crap, this just comes across as woefully under-attenuated and artificial. Did I mention the aspartame-esque finish is long and lingering, too?

And y'know, I can vaguely see the point of this. A low calorie yet high strength light beer for the masses to easily get drunk off of. Only thing is, they forgot to make it inoffensive and tasteless. Oops.

M: Who cares, this sucks ass.

O: I've always wanted to give something all 1's, so here it is in all its hideous glory. Normally, this kind of score represents the absolute bottom of the barrel, and without a doubt, BL Platinum is a foulest, most disgusting beer ever to grace my palate and should be avoided by any person who may lay claim to working taste buds. Hilariously, though, this may not be the worst beer AB InBev makes...if anything, Budweiser Chelada may make me wish negative scores were possible. Simply put, the malt beverage equivalent of frontal lobotomy performed with a rusty knife.

Tastes like the nastiest medicinal synthetic chemical I've ever imbibed. How on earth did their R&D dept let this one slide thru. I love bud light and bud light ice, but I almost hurled on first sip. Seriously??? I emptied all 6 bottles down the drain without hesitation. Even if I were soif'in' in a desert I wouldn't drink this crap.

3.75/5  rDev +69.7%

I feel most of the poor reviews come from people comparing this to craft beers. This is not a craft beer and it isn't trying to be one. This is a beer for BBQs and hot days. It's crisp, clean, easy to drink and doesn't weigh you down. It also is good for night life because is doesn't make you as tired as other heavier beers. For it's purpose I feel this is a pretty decent beer.

4.3/5  rDev +94.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This Bud Light creation was very good in my opinion. The taste was good and similar to regular Bud Light. The mouthfeel was very smooth and very easy to drink. The appearance and the bottle the beer came in was the best part of this beer. I believe Bud did a great job at coming up with a new beer.

2.7/5  rDev +22.2%

Appearance – Light yellowish-orange in the body with a moderate head.

Smell – This is a nice, light grainy nose without anything offensive.

Taste – There’s a little mold in that grain at the taste but not so much that you can’t drink through it. Of course the hops are completely absent.

Mouthfeel – This is light as it should be with a mild carbonation, not too fizzy like some poor macro examples of the style.

Drinkability – If you’re eating something salty this isn’t bad but as with most Buds it can’t stop up on its own.

2.54/5  rDev +14.9%

12oz twist-off cobalt blue bottle, no freshness date. Labeling looks sort of cheap looking or at least the design is not so appealing to me.

LOOK: Crystal clear pale yellow, head crackles a bit but does stay.

SMELL: White flour, cooked cereal, carbonic, muted

TASTE: Crisp, warming alcohol, plain porridge, faint hop bitterness, light maltiness, slightly cloying

It's basically a light malt liquor. Lacking any real malt flavor and the cloying character it less resembles a beer and more of a very watered down cheap whiskey. There are clearly better light beers out there if you are into that. Now we all just have to wait for the half dozen fruit varieties that will follow it is does well.

2.67/5  rDev +20.8%

My 21 year old son left a few bottles of this in the fridge, so...what the hell...lets see what we've got here.

Pour super clear and super light. Minimal head to speak of

Next to no nose, just perhaps a light wiff of malt.

Nexto to know malt flavor, next to no hop character.

Platinum? Please..very little going on here..

1.8/5  rDev -18.6%

My neighbor gave me a bottle to try, so being curious about Buds latest endeavor, I was eager to give it a try. Please dont misunderstand me, as I am a craft beer drinker tried and true, and have only liked one of Budweisers offerings, wich was there American Ale. Now that was a good one in my book, considering the source. And wouldnt you know, I no longer see the Budweiser American Ale on the shelves any longer.

So now for Bud Platinum Light. I Have to interject just a wee bit of humor here folks. In addition to being a beer lover, Im also a cat lover. Anytime I crack open a proper craft beer, my cat jumps up onto the kitchen table, to give it a smell after its been poured into a glass. Well, she must`ve been a beer lover in some past life hehe, as she always licks her chops after getting a good smell of what Im about to drink. So of course, I cracked open the Bud Platinum light, and wouldnt you know, she jumped up on the table eager to smell it. Now this was before I did myself. She smelled the beer, as she usualy does, but her face grimaced after she did. She did not lick her chops, and instead trotted away quickly ... That wasnt a good sign right there!!

A. Very pale straw as I anticipated for a light beer, tons of carbonation. The head dissipated very quicky, and zero lacing.

S. I could barely make out anything noticeable, except for maybe burnt corn.

T. After doing my darndest to distinguish, what on earth I was tasting, I finaly decided that it very much reminded me of Perrier mineral water, with lemon. It had cirtus notes, but nothing to balance out whatever Budweiser was trying to acheive.

M. Bland and watery.

O. Not the worst light beer Ive ever had, it must be because of the citrus overtones this one peresents. If I wanted to do nothing but get drunk, this would be akin to a malt liquor minus the malt. I will not purchase this beer, and am glad my neighbor gave me one to come to this conclusion.

1.86/5  rDev -15.8%

Not at all what I exepected from this beer.

Poured from bottle into a pint glass;

Appearance: Light amber in color, the head was about 1 finger with nothing for lacing on the glass.
Smell: I found it to have a old musky smell, what I would describe as a very old book in a very old house.
Mouthfeel: Definatly a lighter beer, could not detect any real flavors of hops, it had a stale taste to it. After taste was just alcohol.
Overall: I actually thought I might enjoy this beer with all the hype put into it. I was disappointed with it. If I drink any thing like this, I will stick with regular Bud Light.

2.24/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz twist off, blue bottle. split with my dad poured into a snifter.

extremely clear watery yellow color with a thin pure white colored head. it did keep a somewhat retentive thick white ring and showed some lace as well. i was constantly swirling the glass... a good amount of carbonation bubbles.

mineral water is mostly what i get out of the aroma. hints of sweet corn and maybe the slightest bit of rotten egg.

the taste is almost identical to regular bud light. lagery mineral water, sweet corn like grains and hints of yeast. maybe even slight hints of pickle juice? but very clean.

very light bodied with a rather watery feel. over carbonated at first, but steady swirling brings it to about the right level.

as far as light lagers go, this really isnt bad. bud light is prolly my favorite out of all the macro light lagers, but thats not saying much as its one of my least favorite styles. this is hardly any different than regular bud light, maybe the slightest bit more taste, but still not something i would ever buy and even avoid drinking if it was free. and i really dont understand the whole concept behind this beer, all i can make of it is a ploy to alcoholics.

1.45/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bottle (2012)

Big thanks to Alucard4 for the gift!

A very light straw color. No head, even after an incredibly aggressive pour. Leaves the glass nearly clean.

Very little aroma whatsoever. Smells a bit like bread or corn but that might be my imagination. There certainly isn't much.

The taste follows the nose which means there isn't much here at all. No bitterness, very little malt, and corn. This is awful.

The mouthfeel is similar to water.

Worse than Bud Light. Better than Bud Light Chelada. There you have it.

2.38/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I forget which tailgate, probably Wolfpack baseball, that I got to try this at, but nonetheless, as they say in the commercials, here we go. . .

Pours almost as light as Bud Light. A little more of the dark gold thing going for it. Big head that falls into oblivion. Smell, kind of one of those hybrid lager yeasts and shitty belgian kind of thing going on. The smell stood out here, and not in a good way.

Taste, fairly inoffensive, I think I can actually taste quite a bit of alcohol even though it is only 6%. Barely any hop presence, and that is even up against barely any malt presence.

Look, you know how this beer goes. Light everything, bigger alcohol. Tired of people making fun of you for drinking diet low alcohol beer? Now you're a big man, drinking 6% diet beer. oooh.

3.6/5  rDev +62.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Marketing, marketing, marketing, cool blue bottles Bud Light with a bit more alcohol and flavor not just premium but platinum. Pours a fizzy yellow bright golden color with white head dwindling quickly. Aroma has some green apple notes with a faint slightly metallic note with cooked veggies and cereal grains. This is like putting a tuxedo on a malt liquor. Flavor has the sweetness, like sweet creamed corn notes and a touch of rough alcohol herbal hops. Juicy fruit and sweet malts defines this beer pretty much. Sweet even cloyingly so brings beer to a new level of mass production and acceptable sweetness levels. Overall a beer I will drink with friends who buy this but I won't be spending 11.99 on a 12 pack again, although my wife seems to enjoy the effects of a beer that drinks just as easy as Bud Light but has the full alcohol level of 6% abv.

2.58/5  rDev +16.7%

12oz blue bottle served in a snifter.

Th aroma is both faint and not entirely pleasant, having a bit of a metallic note. The flavor is considerably better, with well balanced malt and hops. Still, the flavor is quite mild and lacks complexity or richness.

M: light body is somewhat watery but better than expected. Some crispness from well-chosen level of carbonation

O: Better than expected since this beer had no obvious production flaws. It worked fine as a thirst=quenching beverage after some summer yard work.

P.S. I note this is a rare beer in generating BA ratings all the way from 1 to 5.

1.7/5  rDev -23.1%

Eventually, you just can't put it off any longer. As much as I hate stupid BMC gimmicks, I feel the need to get this one out of the way. From what I understand, it's Bud Light with more alcohol in a sleek blue bottle; that's class.

It's about the same color as BL, extremely pale and light. A pure white head actually does develop to over a finger, even if it doesn't stay, but it does leave foam when it fades. There's very little lacing.
The nose isn't so bad; typical grains, corn husk, cereals, etc., with perhaps a little more green apple skin tartness.
Bud light didn't make me gag; it's just lame. This makes me gag. It's the same stuff in the foundation with more cooked vegetable, creamed corn, and rubbing alcohol. A puppy was just brutally murdered somewhere. A crow calls out to the dark night sky. Nobody hears. Really, though. I may vomit. From one sip. It's just sitting there.
What compounds the unholy terror of the flavor is what I would consider part of the mouthfeel: there's actually a burning sensation in my throat as soon as it hits. Minutes later, it still stings. WTF just happened? For this, I was not prepared.
Coming into this, I was expecting a (barely) boozier BL, not Bud Light Battery Acid & Turpentine.
I'm fairly certain I just developed diabetes (types 1 AND 2), ALS, and AIDS, and possibly chlamydia.

2.09/5  rDev -5.4%

12oz, neon blue bottle (it's been done), from some random convenience store on the Big Island; it took up precious luggage space, only because I tried damned near every good beer on the islands whilst there on my honeymoon over the past few weeks.

After the twist and hiss, this beer pours a clear, pale golden straw colour, with one skinny finger of fizzy, loosely foamy white head, which bleeds away at hemophiliac speed, leaving zilch in the manner of lace.

It smells, well it smells of damned near nothing - a void, wherein only the slightest of mineral and fruit ester notes burble to the surface - could be that it's too cold, slave to the marketing that I am. The taste is very sweet breakfast cereal grain, cloying at best, fake-tasting and plastic-like - are there actually aspartame kiddie cereals out there? Very little else comes through, hop or alcohol, or, well, best leave it at that.

The carbonation is zippy, and fairly prickly, but is soon subsumed by the medium-heavy weight (style-wise), palate-coating body, which is smooth, of course, that being the sole successful attribute of this ilk. It finishes like concentrated Bud Light - sweet, quasi-grainy, and soul-reaping.

A weird science experience wrought veritable. Ugh. This is the beer equivalent of that perfect Hollywood, surgically enhanced, personality-deficient starlet. Looks good, has some intangibly attractive trait, and whose attempts at edginess are calculated and cold. Funny, a Nickelback song suddenly came on the cacophony blaring from the bar across the street - ok, no more analogies. Avoid, unless you just want to get trashed, though I can't imagine the hangover possible with this.

2.41/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a clear straw golden color with a small white foamy head, quickly reducing to a thin cap on top. Lots of bubbles released from the bottom.

S: Mineraly, slightly sweet, cereal grains. A little bit of apple actually, but kind of muted overall.

T: Similar to the aroma in that there really isn't much going on. More grainy malt, biscuit, a little corn, and an extremely faint citrus presence.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation which you can feel as you drink it.

O: Nothing really bad, but not something I want to drink again. Not really sure why anyone would.

to view more.