Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 313 | Hads: 1,704
Reviews by Clowerweb:
3.28/5  rDev +43.9%

Served from a 12oz blue bottle with no date, poured aggressively into a pint glass. This review is graded on a curve based on how this beer compares to others of the AAL style, and does not reflect how this beer compares to "craft" beers.

A: First off, the bottle looks nice. It's deep blue, and has a nice modern-looking, simplistic yet very cool label (even though the label is just a plastic sticker on the bottle, and not painted). The bottle itself definitely gives the appearance some points for looking pretty damned sweet.

Now for the appearance of the beer itself. Straw colored piss yellow, just like every other AAL. Finger of fake head disappears just as quickly as it's coming up, leaving zero lacing. Fake fizzy CO2 carbonation. Nothing else to see here - looks like BMC. 3.0 average look for the style + 0.5 for the cool bottle.

S: This should be interesting...

It smells like Bud Light. Brings back all the memories of my old college days a decade ago, which was probably the last time I touched a Bud Light (I later switched to Coors Light and Rolling Rock before finding real beer). Nostalgia FTW. I never thought I'd actually appreciate the Bud Light smell, but it brings back a lot of memories.

Smells like most BMC AAL beers (especially Bud Light as I said), maybe a little bit less of that metallic scent you'll find in the "MC" portion. Summed up in a word: corn.

T: This should also be interesting...

Hmm... well, I get a lot of malts here actually, which is a bit of a surprise. For 6% ABV, I was expecting booze all over the place. This actually tastes like a higher quality Bud Light. Sure you get lots of boiled corn flavor, but there are definitely some sweet malts mixed in to help balance it and it does a decent job masking the high ABV. I do get a bit of a vodka-like aftertaste (rubbing alcohol).

M: Well, not much to say here. Light body, over carbonated, feels like any other AAL, but it's going to get an above average 3.5 simply because of the 6% ABV and it's not astringent or abrasive at all. It's actually pretty smooth.

D: Very drinkable. Has a boozy aftertaste, but all-in-all it's not horrible, it goes down smooth, and it's mostly crisp and refreshing.

O: Gonna give this one a 3 because it's pretty above average for a A-B AAL, but expensive. Would I pay a premium again for another sixer? Nah. It's only good for the style and I'm not into that style anymore, so it's not for me. I can drink it, but other than the nostalgia aspect, it's not enjoyable, but there isn't much to dislike either. It's made for the masses, so there's nothing offensive or niche about it, it's just a slightly beefed up, middle of the road, Bud Light beer. (2,691 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +38.2%

Jeeez! you would think this stuff is brewed with toxic waste and camel piss from so many of the ultra Poor reviews here on "Beer SNOB Advocate" ...why is it that so many of you yuppie scumbag morons have to slag EVERY single American made "Macro Lager" there is? hey,I am NOT a "Light Beer" guy,and I drink ALL kinds of Beers/ales,in fact in my fridge right now I have ,"Ballast Point Sculpin & Big Eye IPA,Sierra Nevada Pale ale,Torpedo,and Celebration,Porter & stout,also have some olde English 800,colt 45,Schlitz malt liquor" OML" and a bunch of Macro Lagers too~ Bud/Coors/Pabst/Schlitz...I LOVE all kinds of beer is my point, but reading some [most] of the reviews here about "Bud Light Platinum" it makes me really hate all you "Beer Snobs" even more,so it is not a gr8 beer,but for a light American made Macro lager,it is not bad @ all,I would 4sure serve this beer @ BBQ's,with steamed shrimp/Crabs,or any sort of get together where all you want is a cold ,crisp,refreshing beer that does not weigh you down or fill you up,and as far as "Light Beers" go..I actually like this one quite a bit, STOP rating beers the WRONG way yuppie scum,rate them for their style,and do not compare them to your favorite Craft Beer that cost 20 bucks a 6er! hope all yer BMW's blow a piston~whiny clowns... (1,300 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

wasn't sure it was possible to be worse than bud light, but you pulled it off! (78 characters)

W/e and won't drink again... (28 characters)

Poured into a frosted mug. From memory; normally, I'd never do a review in this manner, but holy shit, I can still vividly remember what this tastes like.

A: Pours a textbook light straw color with perfect clarity and intense carbonation trails. Even with the frosted mug, the head is hilariously pathetic. Typical nasty-looking swill.

S: Almost non-existent. A touch of grain here, a dab of artificial sweetener there...wait a minute, a dab of artificial sweetener?

T: Hatred. Sickness. Vitriol. Insanity. Depression. No, these aren't the flavors BL Platinum exhibit - these are the emotions that run through my neural synapses when this liquid immediately hits my tongue. No joke, about 4 oz. of this made me sick. This is basically Bud Light (itself pretty awful) but with a nasty cotton candy sweetness to it. The cloying factor seems necessary to balance the additional alcohol...but holy crap, this just comes across as woefully under-attenuated and artificial. Did I mention the aspartame-esque finish is long and lingering, too?

And y'know, I can vaguely see the point of this. A low calorie yet high strength light beer for the masses to easily get drunk off of. Only thing is, they forgot to make it inoffensive and tasteless. Oops.

M: Who cares, this sucks ass.

O: I've always wanted to give something all 1's, so here it is in all its hideous glory. Normally, this kind of score represents the absolute bottom of the barrel, and without a doubt, BL Platinum is a foulest, most disgusting beer ever to grace my palate and should be avoided by any person who may lay claim to working taste buds. Hilariously, though, this may not be the worst beer AB InBev makes...if anything, Budweiser Chelada may make me wish negative scores were possible. Simply put, the malt beverage equivalent of frontal lobotomy performed with a rusty knife. (1,851 characters)

Tastes like the nastiest medicinal synthetic chemical I've ever imbibed. How on earth did their R&D dept let this one slide thru. I love bud light and bud light ice, but I almost hurled on first sip. Seriously??? I emptied all 6 bottles down the drain without hesitation. Even if I were soif'in' in a desert I wouldn't drink this crap. (335 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff doesn't taste any different than Bud Light. I haven't done a side-by-side to be sure, though, so perhaps there are some nuances and small subtleties that hadn't carried over in my memory.

Pale straw-yellow body, crystal clear with a bone-white "head" that fizzles away quicker than my checking account after BCBS is released each year. Grains on the nose, grains on the nose, smellin' like a BUD with yo' grains on the nose. Grainy, corny, and full of metallic tones, this stuff is not a pleasure to smell, and it only gets more pungent as it warms.

Drink it ice cold, so you numb your taste buds from the poorly laid out grains and sweet, corn-like malts. More metallic in the taste, this stuff couldn't be any more "meh". No alcohol taste present (6% ABV woo!) Crisp, lighter-than-light mouth feel. Stay away from this stuff, unless you're trying to hit that frat boy buzz. (888 characters)

Bud Light Platinum
16. oz. can, coded "14226 SH23"

Poured into a clean glass Bud Light Platinum delivers a nice looking pint with a straw gold body beneath a short head of bright white foam. The head drops readily but maintains a solid surface covering. The lacing is limited but it does leave some nice craggy splashes behind.

The aroma is clean, and expresses only sweetish adjunct malt with a hint of apple-like fruitiness.

The flavor is quite a surprise! My initial impression was that it tasted like a malt liquor... a watered down malt liquor, but one with that sweetish adjunct-laden maltiness that lingers in the mouth because there are very little hops present. It's fruity and sweet, without any noticeable hop flavors at all, and a very low bitterness level to balance it out. Odd.

In the mouth it's medium bodied and smooth with a very moderate carbonation. If I hold the glass to the light I can see tiny bubbles steadily streaming upwards but there are not nearly as many as might be expected, especially for a light beer, which should be crisp.

So what's going on here? If you read the can it states that it's 6.0% ALC./VOL., which is very odd for a light beer, and it's also got 137 calories and 4.4 grams of carbs per 12 oz. serving (thank you A-B for including that, sincerely). I had to get my head around this so I put together a list:

110 calories in Bud Light @ 4.2% abv
137 calories in Bud Light Platinum @ 6.0% abv
145 calories in Budweiser @ 5.0% abv
158 calories in Hurricane @ 5.8% abv

So what we have here is basically a 'light malt liquor'. Is this a new American style of beer?

Unless the cost difference between Hurricane Malt Liquor and Bud Light Platinum is pretty great, I can't imagine anyone going for the Hurricane. The Bud Light Platinum is clean, and actually delivers a slightly bigger punch.

So how to rate this? I generally look at the whole world of beer as a guideline, meaning that there are poorly made beers that suffer from defects, and then there are pristine examples of certain styles that have a certain 'je ne said quoin' of magic to them that exemplify the 'creme de la creme'. An OK beer then scores a "3" as a "3" is average, and on that world-scale a standard Budweiser scores a bit higher at about 3.5. As far as a 'light malt liquor' goes I think this is really the only one. Compared to other malt liquors it's pretty damned good, but if we look at it just as 'a beer' thrown into the world mix it comes out short. I think for what it is it's not bad. I find no defects with it, and I thought it was much more drinkable than a lot of malt liquors.

I'm not sure I have an answer to this one yet, but I'm gonna stick with "okay" until something else pops up. (2,730 characters)

Bottle: Poured a clear pale yellow color lager with a small bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma consists of light sweet malt with well hidden adjunct. Taste is also dominated by sweet malt with no clearly identifiable adjunct but also very limited characteristics. Body is light with average carbonation. I actually drank this side-by-side with a regular bud light and I must say that the platinum is actually better though still quite bland in the grand scheme of things. (478 characters)

I don't understand why this exists. just buy good beer, folks. (62 characters)

absolutely disgusting. probably the worst beer i've ever had. (61 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +74.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's total piss water but it's my favorite piss water. It's nothing special but fills the need when I'm looking for a simple drink to enjoy. Understated but good tasting flavor. It's not something I would give a sterling recommendation of but would suggest people with a light taste give a try. (294 characters)

worst than the original. yeah its that bad. (43 characters)

Butt Sprite Shatinum. What a waste of time. (43 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a clear gold with a foamy bone head that settles to tiny wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some fruity but vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with fruity, grassy, and corn-like flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very poor beer that is slightly better than regular Bud Light but that isn't really hard to do. (533 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +64.5%

I feel most of the poor reviews come from people comparing this to craft beers. This is not a craft beer and it isn't trying to be one. This is a beer for BBQs and hot days. It's crisp, clean, easy to drink and doesn't weigh you down. It also is good for night life because is doesn't make you as tired as other heavier beers. For it's purpose I feel this is a pretty decent beer. (380 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +88.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This Bud Light creation was very good in my opinion. The taste was good and similar to regular Bud Light. The mouthfeel was very smooth and very easy to drink. The appearance and the bottle the beer came in was the best part of this beer. I believe Bud did a great job at coming up with a new beer. (298 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance – Light yellowish-orange in the body with a moderate head.

Smell – This is a nice, light grainy nose without anything offensive.

Taste – There’s a little mold in that grain at the taste but not so much that you can’t drink through it. Of course the hops are completely absent.

Mouthfeel – This is light as it should be with a mild carbonation, not too fizzy like some poor macro examples of the style.

Drinkability – If you’re eating something salty this isn’t bad but as with most Buds it can’t stop up on its own. (550 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%