1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011)
Reviews by Clowerweb:
3.3/5  rDev +49.3%

Served from a 12oz blue bottle with no date, poured aggressively into a pint glass. This review is graded on a curve based on how this beer compares to others of the AAL style, and does not reflect how this beer compares to "craft" beers.

A: First off, the bottle looks nice. It's deep blue, and has a nice modern-looking, simplistic yet very cool label (even though the label is just a plastic sticker on the bottle, and not painted). The bottle itself definitely gives the appearance some points for looking pretty damned sweet.

Now for the appearance of the beer itself. Straw colored piss yellow, just like every other AAL. Finger of fake head disappears just as quickly as it's coming up, leaving zero lacing. Fake fizzy CO2 carbonation. Nothing else to see here - looks like BMC. 3.0 average look for the style + 0.5 for the cool bottle.

S: This should be interesting...

It smells like Bud Light. Brings back all the memories of my old college days a decade ago, which was probably the last time I touched a Bud Light (I later switched to Coors Light and Rolling Rock before finding real beer). Nostalgia FTW. I never thought I'd actually appreciate the Bud Light smell, but it brings back a lot of memories.

Smells like most BMC AAL beers (especially Bud Light as I said), maybe a little bit less of that metallic scent you'll find in the "MC" portion. Summed up in a word: corn.

T: This should also be interesting...

Hmm... well, I get a lot of malts here actually, which is a bit of a surprise. For 6% ABV, I was expecting booze all over the place. This actually tastes like a higher quality Bud Light. Sure you get lots of boiled corn flavor, but there are definitely some sweet malts mixed in to help balance it and it does a decent job masking the high ABV. I do get a bit of a vodka-like aftertaste (rubbing alcohol).

M: Well, not much to say here. Light body, over carbonated, feels like any other AAL, but it's going to get an above average 3.5 simply because of the 6% ABV and it's not astringent or abrasive at all. It's actually pretty smooth.

D: Very drinkable. Has a boozy aftertaste, but all-in-all it's not horrible, it goes down smooth, and it's mostly crisp and refreshing.

O: Gonna give this one a 3 because it's pretty above average for a A-B AAL, but expensive. Would I pay a premium again for another sixer? Nah. It's only good for the style and I'm not into that style anymore, so it's not for me. I can drink it, but other than the nostalgia aspect, it's not enjoyable, but there isn't much to dislike either. It's made for the masses, so there's nothing offensive or niche about it, it's just a slightly beefed up, middle of the road, Bud Light beer.

3.15/5  rDev +42.5%

Jeeez! you would think this stuff is brewed with toxic waste and camel piss from so many of the ultra Poor reviews here on "Beer SNOB Advocate" ...why is it that so many of you yuppie scumbag morons have to slag EVERY single American made "Macro Lager" there is? hey,I am NOT a "Light Beer" guy,and I drink ALL kinds of Beers/ales,in fact in my fridge right now I have ,"Ballast Point Sculpin & Big Eye IPA,Sierra Nevada Pale ale,Torpedo,and Celebration,Porter & stout,also have some olde English 800,colt 45,Schlitz malt liquor" OML" and a bunch of Macro Lagers too~ Bud/Coors/Pabst/Schlitz...I LOVE all kinds of beer is my point, but reading some [most] of the reviews here about "Bud Light Platinum" it makes me really hate all you "Beer Snobs" even more,so it is not a gr8 beer,but for a light American made Macro lager,it is not bad @ all,I would 4sure serve this beer @ BBQ's,with steamed shrimp/Crabs,or any sort of get together where all you want is a cold ,crisp,refreshing beer that does not weigh you down or fill you up,and as far as "Light Beers" go..I actually like this one quite a bit, STOP rating beers the WRONG way yuppie scum,rate them for their style,and do not compare them to your favorite Craft Beer that cost 20 bucks a 6er! hope all yer BMW's blow a piston~whiny clowns...

1.59/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff doesn't taste any different than Bud Light. I haven't done a side-by-side to be sure, though, so perhaps there are some nuances and small subtleties that hadn't carried over in my memory.

Pale straw-yellow body, crystal clear with a bone-white "head" that fizzles away quicker than my checking account after BCBS is released each year. Grains on the nose, grains on the nose, smellin' like a BUD with yo' grains on the nose. Grainy, corny, and full of metallic tones, this stuff is not a pleasure to smell, and it only gets more pungent as it warms.

Drink it ice cold, so you numb your taste buds from the poorly laid out grains and sweet, corn-like malts. More metallic in the taste, this stuff couldn't be any more "meh". No alcohol taste present (6% ABV woo!) Crisp, lighter-than-light mouth feel. Stay away from this stuff, unless you're trying to hit that frat boy buzz.

Poured into a frosted mug. From memory; normally, I'd never do a review in this manner, but holy shit, I can still vividly remember what this tastes like.

A: Pours a textbook light straw color with perfect clarity and intense carbonation trails. Even with the frosted mug, the head is hilariously pathetic. Typical nasty-looking swill.

S: Almost non-existent. A touch of grain here, a dab of artificial sweetener there...wait a minute, a dab of artificial sweetener?

T: Hatred. Sickness. Vitriol. Insanity. Depression. No, these aren't the flavors BL Platinum exhibit - these are the emotions that run through my neural synapses when this liquid immediately hits my tongue. No joke, about 4 oz. of this made me sick. This is basically Bud Light (itself pretty awful) but with a nasty cotton candy sweetness to it. The cloying factor seems necessary to balance the additional alcohol...but holy crap, this just comes across as woefully under-attenuated and artificial. Did I mention the aspartame-esque finish is long and lingering, too?

And y'know, I can vaguely see the point of this. A low calorie yet high strength light beer for the masses to easily get drunk off of. Only thing is, they forgot to make it inoffensive and tasteless. Oops.

M: Who cares, this sucks ass.

O: I've always wanted to give something all 1's, so here it is in all its hideous glory. Normally, this kind of score represents the absolute bottom of the barrel, and without a doubt, BL Platinum is a foulest, most disgusting beer ever to grace my palate and should be avoided by any person who may lay claim to working taste buds. Hilariously, though, this may not be the worst beer AB InBev makes...if anything, Budweiser Chelada may make me wish negative scores were possible. Simply put, the malt beverage equivalent of frontal lobotomy performed with a rusty knife.

Tastes like the nastiest medicinal synthetic chemical I've ever imbibed. How on earth did their R&D dept let this one slide thru. I love bud light and bud light ice, but I almost hurled on first sip. Seriously??? I emptied all 6 bottles down the drain without hesitation. Even if I were soif'in' in a desert I wouldn't drink this crap.

4.29/5  rDev +94.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This Bud Light creation was very good in my opinion. The taste was good and similar to regular Bud Light. The mouthfeel was very smooth and very easy to drink. The appearance and the bottle the beer came in was the best part of this beer. I believe Bud did a great job at coming up with a new beer.

2.68/5  rDev +21.3%

Appearance – Light yellowish-orange in the body with a moderate head.

Smell – This is a nice, light grainy nose without anything offensive.

Taste – There’s a little mold in that grain at the taste but not so much that you can’t drink through it. Of course the hops are completely absent.

Mouthfeel – This is light as it should be with a mild carbonation, not too fizzy like some poor macro examples of the style.

Drinkability – If you’re eating something salty this isn’t bad but as with most Buds it can’t stop up on its own.

1.5/5  rDev -32.1%