2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,180 | Reviews: 274 | Show All Ratings:
DavidFord89

Appearance - Has a crisp, raw look to it. The bottle itself conveys a more sleek energy as compared to the standard Bud Light appearance and when poured in a glass it comes off as an exceedingly approachable nectar.

Smell - The uniform, mellow-like aroma that we have come to be familiar with from the Budweiser kin of beers. No one fragrance is overpowered but you can tell there is a quality mingling of sensations here.

Taste - Refreshing and effortless to drink, quintessential for sultry months, casually drinking or when looking to pace oneself. A lighter flavor compared to other beers of analogous alcohol content. Taking a sip the beer is very punctual with it's flavors and becomes acutely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - First-rate and undemanding to take on. An almost glassy yet distinct punch manifests itself within every swig.

Overall - This has to be the hands down selection between light beers and even compared to "heavy" beers or craft selections depending on what the affair is. A magnificent middle ground is found between the higher alcohol content common with craft beers or even other types of alcohol while still remaining "light", crisp, and fortifying. The ideal beer for any occasion.

05-03-2012 20:51:53 | More by DavidFord89
chumsnards666

4.9/5  rDev +120.7%

I had reservations about buying this as it's a little stronger than I am used to, but let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised!

A-The appearance is nothing short of beautiful. The golden, honey colored beer excited me as it was poured into a very bulbous snifter, which I had purchased at McGovern's (a great place to have a cold one, by the way). The lacing was like fine art. The carbonation yielded a nice finger's worth of head which told me I was in for a treat!

S-As I tilted the glass towards my head, I couldn't help but become overwhelmed by the delightful aroma which filled my nostrils. A pleasant blend of hops, barley and all that is great. The carbonation tickled my nose, which made me giggle. The only reason it got a 4.5 is because I had passed gas just before I drank.

M-The mouthfeel was nothing short of amazing. It was like a party in my mouth, but not a regular party, a party like you'd see in a movie.

T-The taste was nothing short of amazing. The years of craftsmanship that went into this godly nectar were very apparent. A smooth, wheaty flavor at first, then a crisp, ballsy finish.

O-Overall, I can not wait to crack open another one of these babies and get down to business. Another fine product, brought to us by a little brewery in the heart of America.

12-13-2012 04:17:58 | More by chumsnards666
georgiafire

4.4/5  rDev +98.2%

It tastes good and gets you hammered quickly. Any other qualities aside, what else constitutes a good beer? Get over yourself. It's an American beer that puts the desired effect above complex snobby flavors. It is what it is. Good for beer pong and getting lucky on a week night. Unpretentious and gets the job done.

05-04-2012 02:18:45 | More by georgiafire
courtney80

Nebraska

4.39/5  rDev +97.7%

I prefer this to my normal bud light now. I always liked normal Budlight in the past over anything else. And now I have a new go to beer. My only reason is the 6.0 Alcohol content. To me it taste like Budlight with a kick and that's what I love. Now 2 or 3 bottles is all I need instead of 5 or 6..

03-28-2014 00:22:10 | More by courtney80
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

4.29/5  rDev +93.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This Bud Light creation was very good in my opinion. The taste was good and similar to regular Bud Light. The mouthfeel was very smooth and very easy to drink. The appearance and the bottle the beer came in was the best part of this beer. I believe Bud did a great job at coming up with a new beer.

02-22-2013 01:42:46 | More by RyanLaCount03
TBOZ524

4.25/5  rDev +91.4%

I sense deep pilsner aromas coming from the front to back of my palate. This craft experiment has launched Anheuser-Busch into a new position in the marketplace. You can taste all of these tones in one sip. If you are looking for a session beer, look no further.

06-21-2012 02:25:12 | More by TBOZ524
Kelsiemoeller

4.03/5  rDev +81.5%

Appearance: Pours an extremely clear, pale yellow

Smell: Not much of a smell at all. Slight hint of yeast, but just barely. Very light.

Taste: You can definitely taste the yeast and the slight flavor of the hops. Not much to the taste but it seems sweeter and a bit breadier than plain Bud Light

M: Body is definitely fuller than regular Bud Light and the mouthfeel is less watery than bud light. Carbonation is more prominant.

O: I good tasting light beer. I would recommend this beer to people who do not drink beer very often because it is easy to drink and it is not awful as it begins to warm.

04-29-2013 20:33:19 | More by Kelsiemoeller
Blakaeris

Iowa

Pours brilliantly clear, extremely pale yellow. the head is a slight soapy sheen.

Aroma is pale malt, relatively sweet with a slight oxidized sourness.

Taste is more of the pale malt from the nose. A slight grape skin quality that is hard to describe. Finishes extremely clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

overall, a very smooth lager that is extremely easy to drink. I would never seek this style out, but in fairness there are no offensive or off flavors.

01-17-2012 01:18:46 | More by Blakaeris
a0lbudman

Alabama

A-very clear straw color with a white head that fades fast
S-sweet grain aroma with a hint of noble hops
T-sweet grain taste that stays with you til the finish, but the alcohol seems to take away the sweetness in the end
M-light body with okay carbonation
O-for this beer to be 6% ABV you cannot taste the alcohol, but you know it is there

12-29-2013 03:46:15 | More by a0lbudman
Zepaw

3.95/5  rDev +77.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's total piss water but it's my favorite piss water. It's nothing special but fills the need when I'm looking for a simple drink to enjoy. Understated but good tasting flavor. It's not something I would give a sterling recommendation of but would suggest people with a light taste give a try.

03-13-2014 19:06:47 | More by Zepaw
SaintAnthony

3.9/5  rDev +75.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

*Full Disclosure* - I am drinking some of this as I write this review Purchased at a C-Town for $8.49 per 6-pack-
I first had this during the black-out "Harbowl" where the Baltimore Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers. We were at my friends house in his man cave and someone brought 2 cases of this stuff over.

At first glance I was attracted by the beautiful blue bottle, and since it was the only beer available i said sure why not. Two hours later we are were all nicely buzzed from this beer and astonished that this "bud light" had rendered us in this state.

For the price, ease of availability, and the surprise 6%ABV I give this beer high marks.

Bud Light Platinum gets the job done and recommend you all to try it; even if merely to lubricate the esophagus before you move on to some of your favorite imports =-)

Cheers,

St. Anthony

02-09-2013 18:58:27 | More by SaintAnthony
kdawg105

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev +74.8%

Poured into glass it looks like its counter parts, but very carbonated. Smell was like Bud but with a little bit more behind the smell maybe an extra sniff of hops, it taste pretty good to me it is very smooth and easy to drink. Overall I think its one of Anheuser-Busch's coolest creation lately I mean more alcohol than bud and less calories I mean can't go wrong there.

03-01-2012 22:19:08 | More by kdawg105
MusicaleMike

3.75/5  rDev +68.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip, don't ask why.

Initially this beer looks kind of amazing. The body is a light straw color with unbelievable brilliance. You could read through this beer. There is a constant stream of bubbles supporting an egg-shell white head that starts sizable, however that head goes away after a minute or two and completely disappears. I'm not entirely sure if a sustaining head is a quality normally found in light beers or not, but I would rank this much higher if it did last.

When served chilled there is hardly much aroma to speak of, however let this warm up, and you start to smell the sweet grain. Not much more, but I will say that the sweet grain/corn aroma (is there corn in this?) is actually not a bad thing.

Sweet malt up front, almost candy-like, that is very light on the palette and then followed by a cereal huskiness in the exhale. Residual sweetness is there. Much sweeter than typical Light Beers. Though it is not cloying at all. It still is very very light in comparison to any other standard Helles or Pilsner. Pretty good flavor here.

The body is light, with brisk carbonation, which slowly becomes softer throughout the glass. Finishes smooth. Leaves a little saccharin sweetness behind. Not a fan. Reminds me of the sensation of drinking diet soda.

There is still a lot that this beer could do in order to score high marks, but for the style, I think this one is pretty good. Unoffensive, has some flavor, really well made.

03-24-2013 05:03:32 | More by MusicaleMike
schematix

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev +68.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer: I am an avid home brewer who is currently on a short hiatus due to a move (to St. Louis) so I've had to resort to buying beer.

A: I've only ever consumed it directly from a can. I would ASSUME it's like light straw based on taste (or lack of). Would also assume little to no head. I don't feel right pouring this beer.

S: Very little. A little yeast and a little grain. I don't detect hops. 0 off odors. Not great not bad.

T: Honestly I didn't think a 6% beer would have so little taste. I've been told by a brewery employee that this beer is 'nano-filtered' to remove much of the color and flavor. However, while there is a lack of flavor, there is absolutely 0 off flavors. It's really clean and refreshing.

M: Thin but highly carbonated.

O: At 137 calories for 6% this isn't much more than carbonated alcohol water. If you consider what is is though I think it's a technically excellent brew. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but something with no flavor can't taste bad. I like it since on occasion i do prefer a dry beer with a kick. Drinking it side by side with Bud Light I don't find a strong resemblance. If only they added strawberry or lime flavoring to this stuff... just kidding.

EDIT: I learned a few interesting things about this beer from a former AB employee who worked on the production floor in STL: This beer is brewed with HFCS to bump the gravity without adding flavor. Also, it is packaged with a small amount of HFCS (mere grams) to give it a subtle sweetness. Also it is filtered with diatomaceous earth, and not a 'nano' filter.

EDIT 2: The more I drink this beer the more it grows on me. It is now my go-to light beer. I'd like to see more people on here review it for its style, rather than just giving it a 2 because it's made by AB. DON'T HATE!

09-18-2013 05:25:32 | More by schematix
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.7/5  rDev +66.7%

Bud Light Platinum has a thick white head and a clear, straw appearance with few streaming bubbles, but a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is a combination of alcohol, sweetness, husks, and grain, and the taste is richly sweet (cloying), grainy, of rice, sharp, and fairly bold, with a touch of hop bitterness at the back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Bud Light Platinum finishes pretty crisp, clean, refreshing, and easy drinking. I think A-B/InBev may have struck gold with this one (or , should I say platinum). It’s a winner, and it’s head and shoulders above the dull and flaccid Bud Light. I think we’ll be hearing a lot about this one!

RJT

01-28-2012 16:41:46 | More by RonaldTheriot
WVbeergeek

3.6/5  rDev +62.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Marketing, marketing, marketing, cool blue bottles Bud Light with a bit more alcohol and flavor not just premium but platinum. Pours a fizzy yellow bright golden color with white head dwindling quickly. Aroma has some green apple notes with a faint slightly metallic note with cooked veggies and cereal grains. This is like putting a tuxedo on a malt liquor. Flavor has the sweetness, like sweet creamed corn notes and a touch of rough alcohol herbal hops. Juicy fruit and sweet malts defines this beer pretty much. Sweet even cloyingly so brings beer to a new level of mass production and acceptable sweetness levels. Overall a beer I will drink with friends who buy this but I won't be spending 11.99 on a 12 pack again, although my wife seems to enjoy the effects of a beer that drinks just as easy as Bud Light but has the full alcohol level of 6% abv.

01-31-2012 04:22:02 | More by WVbeergeek
nicholas2121

3.6/5  rDev +62.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bud Light Platinum brewed by Anheuser-Busch with and abv of 6.0. Now first off this brew is not a light beer. The Abv to this brew is to high to be 6.0. Most American style light lagers have an abv of 4.2. This is more like an ICE Beer. Bud Light Platinum pours out of the can a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell is that of american style lager but sweeter. An you can smell the alcohol in this brew. Right off the bat you taste the 6.0 abv- but it is smooth and crisp. The fact of the matter is it drinks like a light beer,but it has a kick. This brew has more to it than Bud Light, but it not as much as Budweiser. It is right in middle of the two. I like how it is smooth ,but the alcohol taste brings this brew down. Overall, I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

03-21-2014 03:25:23 | More by nicholas2121
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.56/5  rDev +60.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

for a spin off of bud light, this platinum is got a little kick to it.. i do not understand that it is still labeled as a light beer because its 6.0% alcohol by volume. But other than that, the color looks like bud light, the smell is very strong of alcohol in my opinion. The taste and mouthfeel is bold,crisp,clean and very drinkable beer/malt liquor.

02-25-2014 04:18:27 | More by MarkSmith86
blacklabel67k

3.53/5  rDev +59%

This is a nice light beer that shouldn't be reviewed as a craft beer or expected to be something it is not. Too many biased reviews on here for this beer.

A-Pale yellow lager color. Typical for a beer of this type. Maybe a little paler than a regular Bud light.

S-Smells funky. Kind of that bitter lager smell with a little fruity note. Not offensive at all.

M-Very bubbly, the carbonation burns (which I love) and tickles the mouth. Almost champagne like.

O- I enjoyed it and I'll probably buy it again. Will I put it on my next beer list? nah, not for awhile. But I'm sure someday I'll want something light and refreshing, and it'll be this.

02-03-2012 07:14:40 | More by blacklabel67k
bfjochim

Kentucky

3.48/5  rDev +56.8%

Its budlight with a little more kick. Considering budlight is one of if not the top selling beer in america....it can't be that bad. I would like to know what this triple filtered idea is all about. Obviously it has to do with putting more alcohol into the beer, but are they fortifying it with alcohol or furmenting it further?

I really like it!

04-24-2012 22:04:40 | More by bfjochim
camhack

3.45/5  rDev +55.4%

This is pretty much like Bud Light with extra ABV. Taste is much sweeter. The mouthfeel is less carbonated so its a little smoother. It kind of smells unpleasant, like a sulfur scent. Th apperance is your typical AAL. If you want a decent beer to get obliterated on.. this is it.

02-05-2012 09:14:58 | More by camhack
acevenom

Louisiana

3.4/5  rDev +53.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours pale gold with a two-finger length white head that dissipates at a moderate pace compared to Bud Light or Budweiser. There are a lot of tiny bubbles visible in this beer. The beer smells of grain husks, bread, and some alcohol. The taste is bready and sweet with some alcohol. The hops are very subtle. It tastes like a malt liquor with a ligher body. The body is light with strong carbonation. The carbonation is high enough to prevent any sort of aftertaste. The finish is crisp. The beer drinks very easy. Surprisingly, I find this beer to be decent for what it is. It seems like AB-Inbev is just trying to cleverly package a malt liquor and boost the sales using the Bud Light label. A light beer this is not.

01-06-2013 00:32:13 | More by acevenom
JoeyBeerBelly

3.38/5  rDev +52.3%

12oz bottle served in a Bud Light NY Giants pint glass.

L - clear yellow color with a thin white head that thinned to a light ring leaving a spot or two.

S - grainy aroma.

T - sweeter than regular BL but it's a sweet grainy taste all the same.

F - light bodied and it goes down real easy.

O - a bit better than BL and the boost in abv makes it more fun.

02-05-2012 22:39:12 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
hdf561

3.38/5  rDev +52.3%

This is Bud Light with more alchol content...it is good and not much else to be said.

Definetly a good tailgate beer, and a great beer to have while working in the yard or while grilling out with your buddies.

I recommend it but beer snobs will more than likely diss it as it is not complex or a micro brew.

04-07-2012 01:08:06 | More by hdf561
mbacon3227

Alabama

3.35/5  rDev +50.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer really cannot be compared to a good craft beer. It is a light beer that has been jacked up to 6%. It is a perfect beer for a six pack that won't pack on 3 pounds in one post-work afternoon.
The look smell and taste are to be expected. It's a bud light with slightly more malt and an ever so slight hop characteristic. It is the perfect beer for a weekday afternoon. I'll save the la fin du monde for the weekends.

02-18-2012 03:16:12 | More by mbacon3227