Follow our progress ...

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 329 | Ratings: 1,805
3.51/5  rDev +53.9%

I like this beer simply because it is a cheaper beer that I think tastes good I think it's kinda sweet which is what I like about it. It has a high alc volume that I like for a cheep beer and I disagree with people that say it tastes like regular bud light it does has a different flavor as far as that goes like I said it's sweeter to me anyways and has a nice volume the crown from the glass isn't huge but that's expected with this beer overall I enjoy it over other common bought beers and the glasses are cool and so are the thin cans

3.5/5  rDev +53.5%

An attempt to make bud light better. I think they succeeded. This beer was not bad. I would select it over bud light. If someone handed it to me, I would accept.

3.45/5  rDev +51.3%

Its budlight with a little more kick. Considering budlight is one of if not the top selling beer in america....it can't be that bad. I would like to know what this triple filtered idea is all about. Obviously it has to do with putting more alcohol into the beer, but are they fortifying it with alcohol or furmenting it further?

I really like it!

3.43/5  rDev +50.4%

This is pretty much like Bud Light with extra ABV. Taste is much sweeter. The mouthfeel is less carbonated so its a little smoother. It kind of smells unpleasant, like a sulfur scent. Th apperance is your typical AAL. If you want a decent beer to get obliterated on.. this is it.

3.4/5  rDev +49.1%

Finally found a cheap beer that is decent enough to border on enjoyable. Smooth on the front, slightly sweet and ever so slightly spicy on the finish. Almost as if they made a 50/50 mix of club soda and duvel. For a dollar more for a 12 pack then regular bud light, thus definitely will be my go to party session beer.

3.38/5  rDev +48.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours pale gold with a two-finger length white head that dissipates at a moderate pace compared to Bud Light or Budweiser. There are a lot of tiny bubbles visible in this beer. The beer smells of grain husks, bread, and some alcohol. The taste is bready and sweet with some alcohol. The hops are very subtle. It tastes like a malt liquor with a ligher body. The body is light with strong carbonation. The carbonation is high enough to prevent any sort of aftertaste. The finish is crisp. The beer drinks very easy. Surprisingly, I find this beer to be decent for what it is. It seems like AB-Inbev is just trying to cleverly package a malt liquor and boost the sales using the Bud Light label. A light beer this is not.

3.35/5  rDev +46.9%

This is Bud Light with more alchol content...it is good and not much else to be said.

Definetly a good tailgate beer, and a great beer to have while working in the yard or while grilling out with your buddies.

I recommend it but beer snobs will more than likely diss it as it is not complex or a micro brew.

3.35/5  rDev +46.9%

12oz bottle served in a Bud Light NY Giants pint glass.

L - clear yellow color with a thin white head that thinned to a light ring leaving a spot or two.

S - grainy aroma.

T - sweeter than regular BL but it's a sweet grainy taste all the same.

F - light bodied and it goes down real easy.

O - a bit better than BL and the boost in abv makes it more fun.

3.33/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is a great party beer, goes down like water, has a decent alcohol content, and doesn't taste too bad either. Has a light straw color with a lot of carbonation and is relatively smooth.

3.32/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer really cannot be compared to a good craft beer. It is a light beer that has been jacked up to 6%. It is a perfect beer for a six pack that won't pack on 3 pounds in one post-work afternoon.
The look smell and taste are to be expected. It's a bud light with slightly more malt and an ever so slight hop characteristic. It is the perfect beer for a weekday afternoon. I'll save the la fin du monde for the weekends.

3.31/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look No offense to everyone but this is not a bad beer really. I like that it has significantly more spike then regular bud light considering bud light just seems to go thru you FAST. It's also relatively cheap and I really like the blue bottle. Honestly I feel like the people who don't like this beer obviously don't like to drink very cheap. This is a good beer for those wanting to get tipsy on a relatively low price and for the money conscience people like me. Now I will admit it's not the best tasting beer in the world but considering it only takes me two bottles to really start feeling something and that I don't have to pay too much for it. I say it is well worth it for the most part. I like stronger beers and this would be a beer I'd buy if I didn't want to spend that much money. Now for those you just HAVE to have a wonderful tasting fountain of beer this wouldn't be the beer of choice but considering I get tipsy after relatively little cash spent. I'd say it is a great beer for the money conscience people out there who only want to feel good after a hard day at work. I do like how I don't really smell the beer that much unless I stick my nose in it either which is why I give a high review on smell although

3.31/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours an extremely clear, pale yellow hue with a humungous, billowing, pillowy bright white head that slowly fizzed away into a faint scum. Sparse soapy lace.
S: Not much. I get a hint of some yeast and peppery spice. Very light.
T: Sweet and doughy notes of lightly bready malt and a hint of peppery, spicy, hops and lager yeast. Not much to the taste but it seems sweeter and breadier than normal BL.
M: Body is fuller than regular BL and the mouthfeel is less watery. Carbonation is definitely fuller as well although I would say its fuller when drinking straight out of the bottle than poured into the glass.
O: I find Coors to be better than Budweiser in general because I get a nasty aftertaste in AB products. This however, was actually quite clean and crisp. Given the choice, this trumps regular BL. Pretty drinkable actually, and not terrible as it warms.

3.3/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Light straw color white small shot lasting head.
Aroma: Non-distinct beer smell
Flavor: Very light malt taste. Smooth flavorful beer. Has medium light watery body, with a smooth carbonation.
Overall: I give this beer a B-grade based only it’s style. Not being a fan of light beer, I happened to sample one at a family cook out. To my surprise this beer has a nice flavor. With the body of carbonated water, its too light for my taste. Although it boast 6% ABV it's  not noticed in the taste, nor body.

3.28/5  rDev +43.9%

poured from the blue bottle into a pilsner glass

A - Pours a perfectly transparent straw with few bubbles rising to the rapidly dissipating white head.

S - Light cereal grains and a pervasive mustiness/sourness upon opening the bottle. In the glass, the slight sourness becomes stronger. Head is reduced to ring almost immediately, which is gone by at least half way down the glass. Leaves maybe one splotch of lacing.

T - A light graininess and slight alcohol upfront. The body is driven by sweet malt that isn't overpoweringly cut with cheap grains, and a bit of happiness even manages to sneak in. Crisp almost lemony flash as the beer passes over the back of the tongue transitions into a dry grain and lemon finish.

M - Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Very full compared to other light lagers and may be the best i've had to date.

Make no mistake, although this looks and smells like ordinary bud light, it tastes like an imperial version of the original. Surprisingly, this is actually a good thing, and the beer is decent overall. I would pick this over any other light beer I have had to date.

Note - The scores in this review have been scaled to reflect the style and other beers in its category

3.28/5  rDev +43.9%

Served from a 12oz blue bottle with no date, poured aggressively into a pint glass. This review is graded on a curve based on how this beer compares to others of the AAL style, and does not reflect how this beer compares to "craft" beers.

A: First off, the bottle looks nice. It's deep blue, and has a nice modern-looking, simplistic yet very cool label (even though the label is just a plastic sticker on the bottle, and not painted). The bottle itself definitely gives the appearance some points for looking pretty damned sweet.

Now for the appearance of the beer itself. Straw colored piss yellow, just like every other AAL. Finger of fake head disappears just as quickly as it's coming up, leaving zero lacing. Fake fizzy CO2 carbonation. Nothing else to see here - looks like BMC. 3.0 average look for the style + 0.5 for the cool bottle.

S: This should be interesting...

It smells like Bud Light. Brings back all the memories of my old college days a decade ago, which was probably the last time I touched a Bud Light (I later switched to Coors Light and Rolling Rock before finding real beer). Nostalgia FTW. I never thought I'd actually appreciate the Bud Light smell, but it brings back a lot of memories.

Smells like most BMC AAL beers (especially Bud Light as I said), maybe a little bit less of that metallic scent you'll find in the "MC" portion. Summed up in a word: corn.

T: This should also be interesting...

Hmm... well, I get a lot of malts here actually, which is a bit of a surprise. For 6% ABV, I was expecting booze all over the place. This actually tastes like a higher quality Bud Light. Sure you get lots of boiled corn flavor, but there are definitely some sweet malts mixed in to help balance it and it does a decent job masking the high ABV. I do get a bit of a vodka-like aftertaste (rubbing alcohol).

M: Well, not much to say here. Light body, over carbonated, feels like any other AAL, but it's going to get an above average 3.5 simply because of the 6% ABV and it's not astringent or abrasive at all. It's actually pretty smooth.

D: Very drinkable. Has a boozy aftertaste, but all-in-all it's not horrible, it goes down smooth, and it's mostly crisp and refreshing.

O: Gonna give this one a 3 because it's pretty above average for a A-B AAL, but expensive. Would I pay a premium again for another sixer? Nah. It's only good for the style and I'm not into that style anymore, so it's not for me. I can drink it, but other than the nostalgia aspect, it's not enjoyable, but there isn't much to dislike either. It's made for the masses, so there's nothing offensive or niche about it, it's just a slightly beefed up, middle of the road, Bud Light beer.

3.26/5  rDev +43%

I really don't think this beer lived up to the hype surrounding it and the price is ridiculous. I can have a Milwaukee BEST Ice that tastes waaay better than this and is priced at an awesome $13 for a 30 pack.
I really did expect a lot more from the Bud Light family.. but I was sadly disappointed.

3.24/5  rDev +42.1%

I got this sample from a buddy that works for A-B. I think the release date is to be Jan.30 of 2012.

Comes in a blue bottle. The bottle and labeling were quite nice. Anyway, poured to about a one inch head. Head didnt hang around very long. Not much lacing, if any. Very white in color. Brew itself was a very light pale yellow. Smelled very light. Just notes of sweetness. Maybe a little fruity. Tasted a little on the sweet side. Also notes of fruit. Maybe apple. Actually tasted good. This brew is suppose to be 6%. No alcohol could be detected. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was about right. Ill buy a sixer when this brew hits the stores. Id love to drink a sixer to see if its actually 6%.

3.2/5  rDev +40.4%

Didn't know what to expect when I was about to try this. Certainly has a unique bottle that stands out. I actually didn't mind this. They bumped it up to a 6.0% which I thought was smart. Went down alot easier than I anticipated which could be trouble for people who throw back a lot at a time. Pretty smooth bitter aftertaste. Wasn't too high on the smell but overall didn't mind it.

3.17/5  rDev +39%

From a bottle stamped 12015BK83. Sampled on January 31, 2012. The pour was pale yellow with a short lived fizzy white head. The aroma was better than most lights with a decent combination of grains, malts, sugars, and a clean hop note. The body fell in the medium range but also had a smooth creamy character. The taste was also on the grainy side with a clean hop bite and something almost fruity. A light beer with 6% ABV. This is better than some folks give it credit for.

3.15/5  rDev +38.2%

Jeeez! you would think this stuff is brewed with toxic waste and camel piss from so many of the ultra Poor reviews here on "Beer SNOB Advocate" ...why is it that so many of you yuppie scumbag morons have to slag EVERY single American made "Macro Lager" there is? hey,I am NOT a "Light Beer" guy,and I drink ALL kinds of Beers/ales,in fact in my fridge right now I have ,"Ballast Point Sculpin & Big Eye IPA,Sierra Nevada Pale ale,Torpedo,and Celebration,Porter & stout,also have some olde English 800,colt 45,Schlitz malt liquor" OML" and a bunch of Macro Lagers too~ Bud/Coors/Pabst/Schlitz...I LOVE all kinds of beer is my point, but reading some [most] of the reviews here about "Bud Light Platinum" it makes me really hate all you "Beer Snobs" even more,so it is not a gr8 beer,but for a light American made Macro lager,it is not bad @ all,I would 4sure serve this beer @ BBQ's,with steamed shrimp/Crabs,or any sort of get together where all you want is a cold ,crisp,refreshing beer that does not weigh you down or fill you up,and as far as "Light Beers" go..I actually like this one quite a bit, STOP rating beers the WRONG way yuppie scum,rate them for their style,and do not compare them to your favorite Craft Beer that cost 20 bucks a 6er! hope all yer BMW's blow a piston~whiny clowns...

3.12/5  rDev +36.8%

Pours clear pale gold with one finger of white head. There are specks of lace here and there.
Smell is rather forward apple juice.
Taste is sweet apple juice that is watered down. No detectable bitterness whatsoever.
Kind of reminds me of those sweet apple juice based champagne substitutes people drink to avoid alcohol only less sweet. No hint of alcohol either.
Mouthfeel is crisp and light. Very slight drying effect in the finish.
Overall a tasty carbonated ultra light beverage. Well recommended for those who hate the taste of beer and want to get happy rather quickly. Keep this stuff away from little kids please. I think they would guzzle it down thinking it was some type of child beverage like carbonated apple juice! The can is strange too, my son says it looks like an energy drink, tall and skinny. Edit: 12/09/2015. Bumped the overall to 3.0.

3.12/5  rDev +36.8%

the head doesn't lace at all, little bubbles on top just form constellations and slowly fade away. fuck it, I am drunk! enjoying some 22's after a shift. this will do, for now. blue bottles make it snazzy, taste in yer nazzty but not as bad as tequila
DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE NECKBEARD, I AM BALLIN' IN SO CAL!!!

3.11/5  rDev +36.4%

This particular brew is uneventful. Slightly sweeter mouthfeel than the original Bud Light, and has a sharper acidity. It is not a bad beer, but the smell is reminiscent of bad, stale bread. I would try it once to get it out of your system, then to other brews it is...

3.08/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured chilled into a Perfect Pint and let warmed up to about 50º.

A=Pale and murky...light greenish yellow. Head left quickly but a 1/4" head remained at the end.

S=Pungent smell of hops...more like stale hops left over from a house party. Sour, not appealing.

T=Rather smooth...quite hoppy, with sweetness of corn present and a bit sour. Slightly more flavorful than other light beers, but lacking barley.

M=Very drinkable...cannot detect higher alcohol and minimal carbonation. Designed for msss consumption.

O=A bit better than I anticipated...no longer a fan of light beers...as lights go, this was alright if you like the heavy hops and sweetness.

3.08/5  rDev +35.1%

Calories=137. Carbohydrates=4.4 grams. 6.0% ALC./VOL. As a type 2 diabetic who still loves to drink beer this offers a decent alternative to most low carb options. It is very crisp with some more flavor than most low carb beers. Still very light though. The alcohol content is surprising as it doesn't taste much like an ice beer or high gravity lager. It is light years from my unfortunately now rare passion Duvel. But it does offers a lot more in many ways to those of us who must watch carbs for health reasons. Considering that Bud Light is the #1 selling beer, my guess is that Platinum will be a huge marketing success for AB-InBev.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch