Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +76.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

*Full Disclosure* - I am drinking some of this as I write this review Purchased at a C-Town for $8.49 per 6-pack-
I first had this during the black-out "Harbowl" where the Baltimore Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers. We were at my friends house in his man cave and someone brought 2 cases of this stuff over.

At first glance I was attracted by the beautiful blue bottle, and since it was the only beer available i said sure why not. Two hours later we are were all nicely buzzed from this beer and astonished that this "bud light" had rendered us in this state.

For the price, ease of availability, and the surprise 6%ABV I give this beer high marks.

Bud Light Platinum gets the job done and recommend you all to try it; even if merely to lubricate the esophagus before you move on to some of your favorite imports =-)

Cheers,

St. Anthony

3.88/5  rDev +75.6%

Poured into glass it looks like its counter parts, but very carbonated. Smell was like Bud but with a little bit more behind the smell maybe an extra sniff of hops, it taste pretty good to me it is very smooth and easy to drink. Overall I think its one of Anheuser-Busch's coolest creation lately I mean more alcohol than bud and less calories I mean can't go wrong there.

3.8/5  rDev +71.9%

3.78/5  rDev +71%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Does not taste bad at all

3.76/5  rDev +70.1%

3.75/5  rDev +69.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer: I am an avid home brewer who is currently on a short hiatus due to a move (to St. Louis) so I've had to resort to buying beer.

A: I've only ever consumed it directly from a can. I would ASSUME it's like light straw based on taste (or lack of). Would also assume little to no head. I don't feel right pouring this beer.

S: Very little. A little yeast and a little grain. I don't detect hops. 0 off odors. Not great not bad.

T: Honestly I didn't think a 6% beer would have so little taste. I've been told by a brewery employee that this beer is 'nano-filtered' to remove much of the color and flavor. However, while there is a lack of flavor, there is absolutely 0 off flavors. It's really clean and refreshing.

M: Thin but highly carbonated.

O: At 137 calories for 6% this isn't much more than carbonated alcohol water. If you consider what is is though I think it's a technically excellent brew. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but something with no flavor can't taste bad. I like it since on occasion i do prefer a dry beer with a kick. Drinking it side by side with Bud Light I don't find a strong resemblance. If only they added strawberry or lime flavoring to this stuff... just kidding.

EDIT: I learned a few interesting things about this beer from a former AB employee who worked on the production floor in STL: This beer is brewed with HFCS to bump the gravity without adding flavor. Also, it is packaged with a small amount of HFCS (mere grams) to give it a subtle sweetness. Also it is filtered with diatomaceous earth, and not a 'nano' filter.

EDIT 2: The more I drink this beer the more it grows on me. It is now my go-to light beer. I'd like to see more people on here review it for its style, rather than just giving it a 2 because it's made by AB. DON'T HATE!

3.75/5  rDev +69.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip, don't ask why.

Initially this beer looks kind of amazing. The body is a light straw color with unbelievable brilliance. You could read through this beer. There is a constant stream of bubbles supporting an egg-shell white head that starts sizable, however that head goes away after a minute or two and completely disappears. I'm not entirely sure if a sustaining head is a quality normally found in light beers or not, but I would rank this much higher if it did last.

When served chilled there is hardly much aroma to speak of, however let this warm up, and you start to smell the sweet grain. Not much more, but I will say that the sweet grain/corn aroma (is there corn in this?) is actually not a bad thing.

Sweet malt up front, almost candy-like, that is very light on the palette and then followed by a cereal huskiness in the exhale. Residual sweetness is there. Much sweeter than typical Light Beers. Though it is not cloying at all. It still is very very light in comparison to any other standard Helles or Pilsner. Pretty good flavor here.

The body is light, with brisk carbonation, which slowly becomes softer throughout the glass. Finishes smooth. Leaves a little saccharin sweetness behind. Not a fan. Reminds me of the sensation of drinking diet soda.

There is still a lot that this beer could do in order to score high marks, but for the style, I think this one is pretty good. Unoffensive, has some flavor, really well made.

3.75/5  rDev +69.7%

I feel most of the poor reviews come from people comparing this to craft beers. This is not a craft beer and it isn't trying to be one. This is a beer for BBQs and hot days. It's crisp, clean, easy to drink and doesn't weigh you down. It also is good for night life because is doesn't make you as tired as other heavier beers. For it's purpose I feel this is a pretty decent beer.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch