Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +69.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer: I am an avid home brewer who is currently on a short hiatus due to a move (to St. Louis) so I've had to resort to buying beer.

A: I've only ever consumed it directly from a can. I would ASSUME it's like light straw based on taste (or lack of). Would also assume little to no head. I don't feel right pouring this beer.

S: Very little. A little yeast and a little grain. I don't detect hops. 0 off odors. Not great not bad.

T: Honestly I didn't think a 6% beer would have so little taste. I've been told by a brewery employee that this beer is 'nano-filtered' to remove much of the color and flavor. However, while there is a lack of flavor, there is absolutely 0 off flavors. It's really clean and refreshing.

M: Thin but highly carbonated.

O: At 137 calories for 6% this isn't much more than carbonated alcohol water. If you consider what is is though I think it's a technically excellent brew. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but something with no flavor can't taste bad. I like it since on occasion i do prefer a dry beer with a kick. Drinking it side by side with Bud Light I don't find a strong resemblance. If only they added strawberry or lime flavoring to this stuff... just kidding.

EDIT: I learned a few interesting things about this beer from a former AB employee who worked on the production floor in STL: This beer is brewed with HFCS to bump the gravity without adding flavor. Also, it is packaged with a small amount of HFCS (mere grams) to give it a subtle sweetness. Also it is filtered with diatomaceous earth, and not a 'nano' filter.

EDIT 2: The more I drink this beer the more it grows on me. It is now my go-to light beer. I'd like to see more people on here review it for its style, rather than just giving it a 2 because it's made by AB. DON'T HATE!

schematix, Sep 18, 2013

drt72, Mar 01, 2013

januhh, Jun 25, 2014

dpgoblejr, Feb 23, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +69.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip, don't ask why.

Initially this beer looks kind of amazing. The body is a light straw color with unbelievable brilliance. You could read through this beer. There is a constant stream of bubbles supporting an egg-shell white head that starts sizable, however that head goes away after a minute or two and completely disappears. I'm not entirely sure if a sustaining head is a quality normally found in light beers or not, but I would rank this much higher if it did last.

When served chilled there is hardly much aroma to speak of, however let this warm up, and you start to smell the sweet grain. Not much more, but I will say that the sweet grain/corn aroma (is there corn in this?) is actually not a bad thing.

Sweet malt up front, almost candy-like, that is very light on the palette and then followed by a cereal huskiness in the exhale. Residual sweetness is there. Much sweeter than typical Light Beers. Though it is not cloying at all. It still is very very light in comparison to any other standard Helles or Pilsner. Pretty good flavor here.

The body is light, with brisk carbonation, which slowly becomes softer throughout the glass. Finishes smooth. Leaves a little saccharin sweetness behind. Not a fan. Reminds me of the sensation of drinking diet soda.

There is still a lot that this beer could do in order to score high marks, but for the style, I think this one is pretty good. Unoffensive, has some flavor, really well made.

MusicaleMike, Mar 24, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +67.4%

Bud Light Platinum has a thick white head and a clear, straw appearance with few streaming bubbles, but a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is a combination of alcohol, sweetness, husks, and grain, and the taste is richly sweet (cloying), grainy, of rice, sharp, and fairly bold, with a touch of hop bitterness at the back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Bud Light Platinum finishes pretty crisp, clean, refreshing, and easy drinking. I think A-B/InBev may have struck gold with this one (or , should I say platinum). It’s a winner, and it’s head and shoulders above the dull and flaccid Bud Light. I think we’ll be hearing a lot about this one!

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jan 28, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +64.3%

Bud Light Platinum brewed by Anheuser-Busch with and abv of 6.0. Now first off this brew is not a light beer. The Abv to this brew is to high to be 6.0. Most American style light lagers have an abv of 4.2. This is more like an ICE Beer. Bud Light Platinum pours out of the can a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell is that of american style lager but sweeter. An you can smell the alcohol in this brew. Right off the bat you taste the 6.0 abv- but it is smooth and crisp. The fact of the matter is it drinks like a light beer,but it has a kick. This brew has more to it than Bud Light, but it not as much as Budweiser. It is right in middle of the two. I like how it is smooth ,but the alcohol taste brings this brew down. Overall, I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

nicholas2121, Mar 21, 2014
3.6/5  rDev +62.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Marketing, marketing, marketing, cool blue bottles Bud Light with a bit more alcohol and flavor not just premium but platinum. Pours a fizzy yellow bright golden color with white head dwindling quickly. Aroma has some green apple notes with a faint slightly metallic note with cooked veggies and cereal grains. This is like putting a tuxedo on a malt liquor. Flavor has the sweetness, like sweet creamed corn notes and a touch of rough alcohol herbal hops. Juicy fruit and sweet malts defines this beer pretty much. Sweet even cloyingly so brings beer to a new level of mass production and acceptable sweetness levels. Overall a beer I will drink with friends who buy this but I won't be spending 11.99 on a 12 pack again, although my wife seems to enjoy the effects of a beer that drinks just as easy as Bud Light but has the full alcohol level of 6% abv.

WVbeergeek, Jan 31, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +62%

I like this beer simply because it is a cheaper beer that I think tastes good I think it's kinda sweet which is what I like about it. It has a high alc volume that I like for a cheep beer and I disagree with people that say it tastes like regular bud light it does has a different flavor as far as that goes like I said it's sweeter to me anyways and has a nice volume the crown from the glass isn't huge but that's expected with this beer overall I enjoy it over other common bought beers and the glasses are cool and so are the thin cans

Alexscott92, Jun 26, 2014
3.56/5  rDev +61.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

for a spin off of bud light, this platinum is got a little kick to it.. i do not understand that it is still labeled as a light beer because its 6.0% alcohol by volume. But other than that, the color looks like bud light, the smell is very strong of alcohol in my opinion. The taste and mouthfeel is bold,crisp,clean and very drinkable beer/malt liquor.

MarkSmith86, Feb 25, 2014
3.53/5  rDev +59.7%

This is a nice light beer that shouldn't be reviewed as a craft beer or expected to be something it is not. Too many biased reviews on here for this beer.

A-Pale yellow lager color. Typical for a beer of this type. Maybe a little paler than a regular Bud light.

S-Smells funky. Kind of that bitter lager smell with a little fruity note. Not offensive at all.

M-Very bubbly, the carbonation burns (which I love) and tickles the mouth. Almost champagne like.

O- I enjoyed it and I'll probably buy it again. Will I put it on my next beer list? nah, not for awhile. But I'm sure someday I'll want something light and refreshing, and it'll be this.

blacklabel67k, Feb 03, 2012