Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 317 | Hads: 1,745

I was at a 40th soiree tonight and there wan't much choice so I went with something I had not tried...the budlight platinum. The beer poured a clear solid yellow with initial fizzy head that disipated quickly and left no lace. The smell was typical of most light lager....hints of wheat and grass. The taste was a bit fuller than typical bud light which is an improvement. The mouthfeel was still lighter with big carbonation. Overall it was drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer is a marketing scam. Bud Light hypes up this beer to make it out to be a special edition Bud Light beer but i prefer regular Bud Light rather than this stuff. I don't know what is was about this beer but after getting all excited about the bottle and the look, its a real disappointment when you actually taste it.

How this is only ranked one point higher than Miller Lite I'll never know. It has a lot more flavor than Miller Lite and the hint of sweetness is pretty nice.

Let me start by saying I sampled one of these after trying a Southern Tier Choklat. This high ABV Bud is very similar to Bud Light but you get more alcohol and well disguised to boot. I really don't taste anything bad, different etc. from any other BMC Light products. If you want the mediocre flavors of a BMC but don't want to down a 6 pack before you get a buzz...then this is your beer. Nothing good/nothing bad...enjoy!

Very light clear straw color, pours with almost no head, but does leave some lacing behind.

Smells slightly skunky, with some barley.

Taste is mainly barley, a little sweet. Really not too bad.

Light bodied, thin and watery, rather high carbonation.

Actually surprised it wasn't worse.

typical of the style, clear and lightly tan, I'm giving it a staight up average rating. I was expecting crap, but it wasn't that bad at all. Grainy and sweet, but with a slightly dry finish. Good enough for my expecting terrible. Better than typical for the brewery, that's for sure.

A - Very light, very clear straw. Near white, small head, some cling lace. Lots of cascading bubbles.

S - Corn mash, mostly , hidden malt and hops.

T - Like a watered down 'malt liquor'. Personally, that is an improvement.

M - Light body, good carb, balance is whatever.

D - Hot day, or a quick buzz, not a bad option for ABV and lightness.

Looks great, but not a lot of taste but very drinkable and pretty much everyone will drink it. Basically a stronger version that taste almost the same as bud light but for a more stressful day.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a half inch thick, soapy white head that dissipates instantly. Has a nice lacing to it.

Smell - Slightly sweet with malts, bread, and corn.

Taste - A lot sweeter in the flavor.. with some pale malts, corn, grains, and a bitter alcohol bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - I wouldn't get this again. I don't like the alcohol taste lingering in my mouth. I guess you can't really expect a simplistic, light beer to cover up 6% ABV.. lol

2.98/5  rDev +31.3%

Pours a pale golden color with a short lived white head. Nose reveals a striking similarity to Bud Light. Corn, sweet cereal, no hops, faint yeast, and minimal esters. Maybe not quite as watery. Flavor does have a touch of hop character, but otherwise your typical light/pale lager. Cereal and grain sweetness, mild yeast, and some water. Very high carbonation and very light body. I actually like it better than Bud Light.

2.95/5  rDev +30%

A bud light with a slightly better taste and a little more alcholol kick. Clear, little head but a better alternative than bud light if you can afford the extra calories and extra cost. Will drink on occasion when drinking light beer but still lacks the the taste of a Miller Light (just my personal presence). All in all not a bad beer for everyday occasions, just not up there with the special ones.

2.94/5  rDev +29.5%

Bud Light Platinum cannot be judged as a craft beer because it's not and it's not trying to be. What it is trying to be is a high alcohol content light American lager with mass appeal. In this, they have succeeded. It's a approachable beer that requires less work to get drunk (and I think that's the whole point). It has most of the distinguishing characteristics of regular Bud Light; refreshing smell, crystal clear and fizzy, faded gold color. The higher alcohol content is masked by a sweetness that is muted and vague but surprisingly pleasant. If I ever find myself at a frat party again, however unlikely that may be, I just might bring this one along.

2.9/5  rDev +27.8%

Served in a clear, bright blue bottle and poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Very pale golden color with a bubbly white head that fades pretty quick.

Smell: The smell is somewhat sweet with hints of fruit and grains.

Taste: The taste, similar to it's smell, is sweet and the fruit stands out a bit more, but it isn't overwhelming by any means. Very light, and no bitterness to speak of. I wouldn't guess it had 6% alcohol had I not known before hand.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and light in body. I like the carbonation and it's easy to drink.

Overall: Not my favorite, but it is definitely something I can see myself drinking on the back porch with a few friends in the future. It has a decent flavor and packs a solid punch for a light beer.

2.9/5  rDev +27.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a light golden color with a billowy white head. The head fades fast giving just an ever so light bit of lacing.

Smell – Sweet corn aromas are big and bold. The lightest bit of citrus seems to be present as well, but is light in comparison to the sweet corn aroma.

Taste – The taste is as the nose suggests. It gives a big hit of sweet corn taste. Just as in the nose, there is the slightest bit of lemon citrus that bitters the flavor ever so slightly toward the end (still quite sweet however) and rounds out the taste.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied with a very appropriate level of carbonation. It is also much less watery then the normal light beer.

Overall – This is actually much more flavorful then the average light beer and its mouthfeel blows the normal light beer out of the water. It still is very one dimensional however with its taste consists nearly entirely of corn. Better than the average light beer, that is for sure, but not something to pine for.

2.89/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I had a bottle of this, it was pretty average for the style, the only thing going for it really is an increased abv threshold. I think for the price it isn't bad, but it really doesn't have much in the way of flavor beyond a corn pop type sweetness. I can't say it is really a flawed beer meaning having noticeable flavor deficiencies unless you consider lack of flavor one, then it is pretty bland which is why I gave it a below average score

2.88/5  rDev +26.9%

Appearance - Light yellow, and a stark-white soapy that dissipates into a small ring.

Aroma - Sweet, adjuncts. A lot like Natural Ice, but much less pleasant.

Taste - Grains, a little alcohol, sweetness, a slight bit of barley malt, and lots of adjuncts.

Finish - Clean, crisp, refreshing, dry.

2.87/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Bud Light Platinum.

I have probably drank at least five thousand of these things by the time I joined this site mid-way through my college years in 2012. My review was quite dickish and I sounded straight up snobby. SO.. 401 beers later I am ready to give this stuff a fair shake. Mind you, only at 401 because I took a two year hiatus ;).

Look - Ever so slight dark tint of golden yellow with a finger of white head that goes away so quickly if you blink you'll completely miss it. Not a single aspect of the head sticks around, so no lacing shall be present. Carbonation certainly looks high. 2.

Smell - A huge punch in the face of creamed corn and rice adjuncts. Cooked vegetables. Yep, it's an AAL alright. 2.5.

Taste - Y'know what, I'm going to be devils advocate here and say it really isn't THAT bad for what it is. Crisp and highly refreshing. Grassy notes all throughout with a pleasant creamed corn aspect. This one is actually quite smooth. 3.25

Feel - Very watery body with enough carbonation to set off a volcanic eruption. Seriously, the carbonation is as high as astronaught pussy. Nothing more to say here. 2.

Overall - If you ignore everything the average beer drinker doesn't care about ( Look,smell, and feel) you come up with an AAL that hits its niche. This truly is far from the worst thing I've ever had, and it is actually quite...pleasant...for its category. Yeah. So give it a shake for what it is and don't aimlessly bash it because it is the brew of choice for 70% of ' beer ' drinkers. Makes for a fine palate washer too. So..ignoring the aspects the average redneck pays no attention to...hold on. Remember, this is meant to be a low flavor, ' high to the average Joe ' alcohol beer that causes regrettable decisions, fist fights, good times, and gets college dudes laid. Anyway, 3.25

2.83/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured from a blue 12 oz. bottle. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn,an unusual somewhat musty odor.Taste is light, a bit musty, alcohol is present, some grains. Feels light in the mouth and overall this is a mediocre beer.

2.83/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not a good beer, but reviewers giving this 1s across the board are idiots. 1 for look? 1 for mouthfeel? Idiots.
This beer is half bud light and half malt liquor. Nose and taste are all acceptable by AAL standards. If you are looking for a lawnmowing beer with a little higher ABV, this is a better bet than a 40 of King Cobra.

2.81/5  rDev +23.8%

Alright!! BLP is out! Been expecting this beer for about 2 months. Reading about this beer and reasoning behind it, I've come to this conclusion. This beer was made because BL is a huge seller ( I believe its the #1 seller in us) and that since this beer is found at most college parties, house parties, bars, etc, that there would be a large market of people who go straight for it because its higher ABV. Alot of college people like getting hammered and BLP will get them there, and they're familiar with it. On to the beer.

I've had malt liquor before, I admit it. I think it smells like no other beers with that chemical smell goin on with it (similar to four loko). BLP has a bit of this smell but not as bad, its a cross. I can tell right off that there is traditional BL in this, but the aftertaste has that malt liquor flavor to it. I am willing to tolerate it with the extra ABV. And I like that fact that the mouthfeel is better with the more moderate carbonation vs. regular.
Overall I think that this beer will work out well. Personally I think that it tastes different than BUD ICE, althought similar in ABV. I think I like it because to me BL is a go to beer for chugging and now that its lower carbonation it will make that easier. And the added alcohol is a bonus for the purpose this beer serves for me.

2.8/5  rDev +23.3%

Remarkable. This has got to be the most flavorless beer I've ever experienced. The faintest bit of sweet corn and a touch of alcohol and that's it.
However, I would label this beer a resounding success in that I believe this is exactly what AB was trying to produce. Truly a beer for people who don't like the taste of beer.
I can't say it's not drinkable either. It's highly drinkable because there's just not anything there to dislike flavor-wise.
A cold one on a hot day would be fine, but I like the taste of beer and therefore would pass on this.

2.8/5  rDev +23.3%

First, I want to say that this is too expensive for what it is. And what it is, is a very confused beer.

The blue bottles are unique and get a thumbs up. I didn't pour it out of the bottle, so I can't judge the appearance.

Smell's like Bud light...bug surprise there! Corn, rice, etc prevail.

Taste is a let-down. This is supposed to be a craft light beer--whatever that is. Very sweet taste, which doesn't hide the 6.0% abv at all. Give me a King Cobra instead and I'd be much more pleased.

Mouth feel is light, so it did achieve that for the style. Lots of carbonation, almost seems artificially carbonated.

Overall, this is a light beer trying to be a malt liquor, or a malt liquor trying to be a light beer. Identity crisis? Yes! A-B should put it in tall cans and 40s and call it a day.

2.78/5  rDev +22.5%

A slightly aggressive pour gets me half a finger of bubbly white head that disappears in less than a minute. Body is a clear pale straw color. A multitude of bubbles is noted rushing bottom to top.

Smell is watery adjunct. Sweet corn and pale sweet malts up front. Light grassy hops in there as well.

Flavor is similar to regular Bud Light, but somehow slightly more enjoyable. Sweet corn and malts, vaguely bitter grassy hops, everything seeming rather watery.

Again, I can't help but compare this to the original. Body seems slightly fuller and more sophisticated.

2.77/5  rDev +22%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty much tastes the same as regular Bud Light but with 6 ABV. Pours out straw yellow, and pretty flat. The aroma has a slight alcohol smell and that is about it. It really does not taste like much either. I will not buy it again because I would rather drink a hoppy IPA if I want a high alcohol percentage, but it definitely got the job done!

2.77/5  rDev +22%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very light, straw-colored beer with a short-lived fizz-up, like something out of a commercial. What's left after thirty seconds? A tiny ring and spotty surface foam.

Crisp, and somewhat clean, adjunct grain aromas. Rice is a guess. Well-lagered. Smooth with hints of husks and steeliness. Not very bright.

Sharp and a little sweet. Cooked veggies, husky grain, fusel, and a kiss of pseudo-floral hop bite. Easy to drink. 6% might seem invasive for a Bud Light drinker, but this has a good sensibility to its strength. Has some body to work with, if not, too wooly and/or oily for an adjunct lager. Dial down the carbonation, or maybe just distribute it a bit, and you have a decent feel, strangely enough. Put-together like a science experiment, it really could be a solid go-to for pale lager drinkers.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch