1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,177 | Reviews: 273 | Show All Ratings:
LostTraveler

Maine

Poured this "beer" from is blue bottle into my Sam Adam's perfect pint glass. Bought it because I had to try this platinum beer, the guy at the store really tried to sell me a whole 6pack since "its really good. It tastes like Bud Light with a kick, kinda boozy but good" The same guy who has watched me come in and go straight to the craft and only purchase craft.

A- Pours perfectly urine yellow with no head, no lacing. Has an odd bright, almost florescent color in the glass. Definately brighter than a normal BL. Maybe the extra corn syrup.

S- Smells like stale swill that is a day old in a bar mat, with some cheap Popov vodka spilled over too. Is there even hops in there?

T- Tastes like a Bud Light that was frozen then thawed out, poured into a glass and served ice cold(just like left over beers in college that were hidden in your trunk in the winter)

O- Wow. Thiis is exactly what you would expect if Belgium and Missouri had inbred love child with too many chromosomes. BL, you have solidly made another horrible overpriced beer that needs to "enjoyed" ice, ice cold for it to even be remotely palatable. Im glad you poured millions of dollars to shove it down peoples throats as the next great thing. Good job, Im glad you know your audience- Kanye's "Runaway" for the commercial. Great lyrics too.
Let’s have a toast for the douchebags!
Let’s have a toast for the assholes!
Let’s have a toast for the scumbags
Every one of them that I know
Let’s have a toast for the jerkoffs

Another swing and a miss. Now to decide to pour it down my throat or the sink....

03-09-2012 06:18:33 | More by LostTraveler
dougmiller112

Although Dos Equis is not the greated beer, I will paraphrase The World's Most Interesting Man, "I'm sorry, you lost me at 'Budweiser'". Honestly, this beer serves no purpose to anyone who understands beer. Maybe this one would do well on "beershitvocate.com"

05-06-2012 01:33:30 | More by dougmiller112
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

Poured into a frosted mug. From memory; normally, I'd never do a review in this manner, but holy shit, I can still vividly remember what this tastes like.

A: Pours a textbook light straw color with perfect clarity and intense carbonation trails. Even with the frosted mug, the head is hilariously pathetic. Typical nasty-looking swill.

S: Almost non-existent. A touch of grain here, a dab of artificial sweetener there...wait a minute, a dab of artificial sweetener?

T: Hatred. Sickness. Vitriol. Insanity. Depression. No, these aren't the flavors BL Platinum exhibit - these are the emotions that run through my neural synapses when this liquid immediately hits my tongue. No joke, about 4 oz. of this made me sick. This is basically Bud Light (itself pretty awful) but with a nasty cotton candy sweetness to it. The cloying factor seems necessary to balance the additional alcohol...but holy crap, this just comes across as woefully under-attenuated and artificial. Did I mention the aspartame-esque finish is long and lingering, too?

And y'know, I can vaguely see the point of this. A low calorie yet high strength light beer for the masses to easily get drunk off of. Only thing is, they forgot to make it inoffensive and tasteless. Oops.

M: Who cares, this sucks ass.

O: I've always wanted to give something all 1's, so here it is in all its hideous glory. Normally, this kind of score represents the absolute bottom of the barrel, and without a doubt, BL Platinum is a foulest, most disgusting beer ever to grace my palate and should be avoided by any person who may lay claim to working taste buds. Hilariously, though, this may not be the worst beer AB InBev makes...if anything, Budweiser Chelada may make me wish negative scores were possible. Simply put, the malt beverage equivalent of frontal lobotomy performed with a rusty knife.

05-22-2012 05:37:25 | More by ThisWangsChung
Reanime

Tastes like the nastiest medicinal synthetic chemical I've ever imbibed. How on earth did their R&D dept let this one slide thru. I love bud light and bud light ice, but I almost hurled on first sip. Seriously??? I emptied all 6 bottles down the drain without hesitation. Even if I were soif'in' in a desert I wouldn't drink this crap.

07-10-2013 16:21:44 | More by Reanime
cheesepuffs

Connecticut

BLP literally tastes like regular Bud Light with an infused metallic taste that I couldn't shake. I have no idea how some casual drinkers find this to actually be an improvement over Bud Light or Budweiser but these people seem to think that its ABV of 6% makes it superior. They're all poor excuses for beer and BLP is probably the worst of them. Luckily I tried it for free from a friend and I would recommend absolutely not wasting your hard-earned money on this garbage.

09-11-2013 03:18:45 | More by cheesepuffs
zeff80

Missouri

1.03/5  rDev -53.6%

Wow, just wow! Let's take a bad product increase the strength but make it taste worse. I think they've done that. It was fizzy, yellow and clear. Smells like....nothing. Corn, maybe? It tasted like corn and water. Mouthfeel is fizzy and highly carbonated. Overall, this is just as bad if not worse than Bud Light. Simply amazing.

03-17-2012 01:42:53 | More by zeff80
planet_rob

1.03/5  rDev -53.6%

This is simply terrible....or rather 'terrbul'.

The only nice thing I can say about this beer is that the blue bottle is very pretty.
The foam looks bad. The mouth feel is unpleasant. It honestly smells like urine to me....urine from a chronic drunk.

AB is such a shit company. If you're a typical DUHguy, then you'll probably like this.
If not, go get a nice stout.

06-30-2012 01:11:01 | More by planet_rob
jburns4

1.05/5  rDev -52.7%

A - Pale yellow as expected. Light head.

S - Very sweet smell. Strongly hints at the flavor to come.

T - Lasting, saccharin sweetness. Not good. No flavors really. Just sweet.

M - Pretty good carbonation. Nothing unexpected there. The sweetness of it almost makes it feel a little sticky though.

O - Really awful. I imagine their thought process being, "Oh crap, you can almost taste the alcohol. We better make it overpoweringly sweet to hide that." If given the choice between this and bud light, I'll take the bud light. Actually, I can't think of anything I would choose this over (except maybe Wild Blue). Unless you're just looking to get drunk with a few less bottles, don't waste your money on this one.

01-30-2012 02:43:02 | More by jburns4
javatime

1.05/5  rDev -52.7%

I picked up a 12 pack in bottles because I was curious about Bud coming out with a 6% abv AND they offered a $4.00 rebate. I thought, I'll give it try for $8.00 since it's the holidays and I like to keep a few lite fizzy beers on hand for my family. In a word...terrible. It has no smell, taste, mouthfeel, lacing or head. I can honestly say that I would never recommend this beer to anyone.

03-18-2012 18:34:21 | More by javatime
Pbhockey04

1.05/5  rDev -52.7%

I was at a bar and just wanted to give it a shot since I heard mixed reviews about it. Some of my college friends (who don't know good beer) said it was good. The bartender said people who like AB products don't like it. I took 1 sip of it and 1 word came to mind. YUCK!! It tasted worse then bud light. I couldn't tell if there was flavor in the beer or it was just plain alcohol. If your going to have a light beer put less alcohol in it, not more.

06-26-2012 16:59:49 | More by Pbhockey04
EagleTalon

Arkansas

1.13/5  rDev -49.1%

Pours out to a temporary thin sudsy head and "triple filtered" clear urine color. Aroma is grain and sweet fruit juice. Flavor is bland, grainy, cider-like and has absolutely no discernible hop features. Despite the dry feel, it tastes sweet and corny. Mouthfeel is seltzer and astringency. On the balance this beer comes off as dressed up malt liquor. There are better tasting malt liquors out there that cost less.

06-22-2012 19:38:53 | More by EagleTalon
larryi86

Delaware

1.23/5  rDev -44.6%

Half of a 12 oz bottle poured into a pony glass

A- Clear golden color with a small white head.

S- Weak, some sweet corn and grains...not good...

T- Watery sweet corn...

M- Light water...

O- Sucks, not worth the money, sweet water...Me and my friend decided ti see what is about and were disappointed...time for something good...

02-19-2012 03:42:56 | More by larryi86
jsh420

1.25/5  rDev -43.7%

pours light yellow with a big fizzy white head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet grains/corn/rice and alcohol

taste is those same sweet watered down grains and the aftertaste that it left in my mouth was horrid

mouthfeel is watery thin with decent carbonation

overall - whats the point of this beer? its bud light with a higher abv

02-29-2012 02:41:40 | More by jsh420
woodychandler

1.28/5  rDev -42.3%

My neighbor (out the back door and across a short parking lot) is a bottle shop and he occasionally has singles for sale. When that happens, I try to grab anything that I would not normally want in any other quantity, write a review and move on. This is one of those instances.

If nothing else, it came in a pretty cobalt blue bottle, so I may see if the art department at work can use it. Otherwise, what were they thinking? Blue allows more light penetration than any other color of glass. I had two fingers of bone-white fizzing head initially until it fizzed its way to wispiness. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. It looks like snow! Those of us south of US 30 are expected to get 6" to 8" or perhaps more. The nose had an odd Minhas-like chemical smell, like plastics and dry cleaning fluid. Fuh! Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the taste was reminiscent of the time I had trench mouth as a kid (thanks, summer camp creeps) and had to gargle with diluted hydrogen peroxide. Finish was bland. Rubbish! I am experiencing buyer's remorse.

03-06-2013 00:59:07 | More by woodychandler
HarlequinBuckeye

1.3/5  rDev -41.4%

I've never been a Bud Light fan, but I was curious about this one. I didn't wanna spend 7 bucks on a six pack, so I decided to wait for a double deuce to come out. Finally saw one at the gas station and picked it up. Boy I sure am glad I didn't buy a sixer.

I agree with the guy below me, Anheuser-Busch took a lousy beer and made it terrible. Pours out light yellow (probably why they call it platinum) and foamy as all hell. If you were to take a Bud Light, and pour two restaurant sugar packets in it, you'd have this.

I always try to find something good in every beer I try, but it's nowhere to be found here. I hate to slam a beer like this, but this is just awful. Not worth a dime, I'd take a Natty Light any day over this.

09-13-2012 01:49:32 | More by HarlequinBuckeye
beerman207

Kentucky

1.33/5  rDev -40.1%

Why???? WHY??? DO I KEEP TRYING these beers?

A: Pours with basically no head and no fizz. Once it settles you could piss in a glass and sit it next to this beer and couldn't tell the difference. Not cool

S: Smell is corn, some weird fruit flavor and almost a bit like....ZIMA!!!! Whatever the combination is it just doesnt work.

T: Wow - taste is like a diet drink. Is there nutrasweet in this? My god i feel like I'm drinking an appletini.

M: Not bad - carbonation is low and this beer will likely be very popular in fraternities and sororities.

O: COMPLETE FAIL. I can tolerate bud light. Can't tolerate this one even though I want to at 6.0 abv.

02-02-2012 01:00:32 | More by beerman207
TheCondor

Missouri

1.33/5  rDev -40.1%

Generally, I go through and do a pretty detailed job on my beer reviews. To me, beer reviewing is as much art as science, and I take a lot of pride in my reviews. I take notes, I do my homework on the styles, I really enjoy tasting, drinking, and reviewing beer.

That beng said, I am not going to waste a lot of energy on this review. I try to avoid reviewing too many macro products, although this is not my first, but I kind of think it's a little lame. Anyway...

This beer looks a lot like any other macro when you pour it. Straw colored, very clear, no real head or lacing. It eally doesn't smell like much at all. Maybe corn or some slight grains.

It pretty much tastes like a thicker, nastier version of Bud Light. Not a huge fan of either product. Highly carbonated finish.

Overall, this beer is not good. I got this beer from a party where the buyer (not me) didn't want it (I wonder why), so I took it home. Six free beers, why not? For the price I have seen this selling for, no way. If I'm going macro, give me Busch Light, Coors, or Natty.

03-22-2012 01:11:44 | More by TheCondor
StonedTrippin

Colorado

1.33/5  rDev -40.1%

take the watery extract flavors of a bud light and add the burning stomach churning effect of grain alcohol, and you have a bud light platinum. as much as I hate the politics, marketing, and desired demographic (see my black crown review), I also hate the beer. it just tastes awful, metallic and boozy, yet somehow still diluted. its a mess from top to bottom. if it had no taste it would have a passable mouthfeel, that's about it. upbeat carbonation and a lighter body, but it cant save a beer that tastes more like a caustic chemical reaction than an honest brew for human consumption. I have no interest in ever consuming one of these again. it had the profound effect of bringing me from craving a beer badly to instantly not wanting to drink anymore, they should treat alcoholics with this wash, might turn them off too. id honestly rather drink any dirty 40 from the gas station than have another one of these. steer clear.

08-25-2013 16:38:14 | More by StonedTrippin
streetcommander

1.35/5  rDev -39.2%

This is an abomination.

Smells like bud light spiked with a nice single malt Scotch. Taste like it smells. Cheap and tawdry. The way they souped it up during the Superbowl, I was anticipating a serious attempt at a respectable beer. Could have been brewed in a prison toilet...

02-16-2012 00:48:06 | More by streetcommander
WeissbrauMeister

1.38/5  rDev -37.8%

A- I'm pretty sure this beer doesn't have a SRM value. Very pale gold.

S- Has a sweet aroma. Unfortunately that is the only scent I can pick up.

T- As predicted by my smell test, the beer is sweet, without any trace of hops. Taste very similar to my first homebrew done with a Mr. Beer kit.

M- Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

O- Although I prefer it to bud light but I will won't be touching this beer again. I gave it a shot and it doesn't compare to some of the better light adjunct lagers out there.

01-31-2012 01:33:53 | More by WeissbrauMeister
psugrad98

1.38/5  rDev -37.8%

This beer pours pale yellow with fizzy bubbles and wispy head. Aroma is of crackly sweet adjuncts, corn and rice?

Taste is fizzy and astringent, bitter and not in a good way. No trace of aromatic hops, but cloying sweet rice and cereal.

Finishes like sour milk, very gross. It gives me gas and a headache. I can't stand it.

04-13-2012 16:30:16 | More by psugrad98
CircusBoy

1.38/5  rDev -37.8%

When pouring this beer it looked clear coming out of the bottle. I was a bit confused, not sure what to expect from here on. Glass filled, there is a bit of color, but mostly looks like water with some bud light splashed in giving a clear slight straw color. An aggressive pour yields a small head that in gone in seconds with no lacing whatsoever.

Aroma is a combination of malt and metallic notes. Thankfully it's very dull.

Taste is similar to the smell, a strong metallic taste which may be why they named it platinum. Has a strange aftertaste which is very hard to describe other than awful.

This beer is very carbonated; has me burping like crazy.

Overall this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. It's extremely hard to finish the bottle. Even the bump in ABV does not make up for it's failures.

08-22-2012 00:12:38 | More by CircusBoy
NuclearDolphin

look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Pilsner Glass, bought this as part of a mix-a-six

Appearance - Very pale straw yellow color which almost looks white. This looks like straight up urine you'd find in a doctor's office.

Smell - Steamed Cooked Veggies, Cereal Grains, and Alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some extra alcohol in here. This does not smell good at all!

Taste - Everything that was bad about the smell is not much better in the flavor. Cooked Sweet Corn, cereal grains, and rubbing alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some Everclear to it.

Mouthfeel - This beer is super-carbonated, but at least it's crisp feeling....not that it helps any! Also, I'm getting a headache from this thing, and I'm not even done with it yet

Overall - This is an insult to the word "beer". You see.... beer should be a wonderful thing, not an ugly abomination like this. I'm going to sum it up in one phrase directed at Anheuser-Busch "This beer is bad and you should feel bad!"

04-06-2012 03:37:56 | More by NuclearDolphin
SometimesIfart

look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is my second review of Bud Light Platinum. Comparing this to my new found love of IPA's, Let's see what we get. Poured from a mini keg into a lager glass. Pours a piss yellow with half a finger's worth of foamy head, Leaving absolutely no lacing. The smell was horrendous. Rotten corn, Vomit, and some stale rice. The taste wasn't much better. Some chemical grain, the faintest amount of malt, and perhaps some rubbing alchohol? Tasted horrendous compared to crafts. The mouthfeel was a heavy metallic flavor with even more of what seemed like burning chemicals coming through. This beer is not smooth whatsoever. Overall, This is absolute garbage, And I am glad that I had finally made the choice to start exploring REAL beer. I cannot believe I used to drink this slop and enjoy it.

08-04-2012 20:34:12 | More by SometimesIfart
damndirtyape

1.4/5  rDev -36.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow, thin white head - barest level of lacing noted.

Smell: Practically none, maybe a hint of grain.

Taste: At first nothing, then a bit of crispness following by a really bad sweet finish. It's like the hops were left out or were not dosed properly. The sweetness isn't even enjoyable...it's quite unpleasant like something else off has been mixed in there. I thought maybe it was the food I had with this (cheese and crackers) but drank some water and tried again. Nope - not good.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but not fizzy. Otherwise nothing special.

Overall / Drinkability: I could not finish this because of the taste. I'm not sure what they were thinking behind this one but this is not a good lager nor is it a good beer. Appearance is probably the only thing this beer has going for it. To the best of my knowledge, the first time I was unable to finish a beer to date. I don't like to be down on beer at all, but this one is poorly put together - at least to my tastebuds anyway.

10-27-2012 15:23:00 | More by damndirtyape