Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 317 | Hads: 1,744

Absolutely disgusting, it literally makes me sick to my stomach each time I have tried it. It has a weird chemical taste that is present as well as a stickiness that is left behind in my mouth after drinking. Trust me, this is not coming from a snobby anti macro person either, I actually like Budweiser, Bud Light, and Bud Select. This stuff is putrid though.

Will not revisit again. Just give me water and forget the beer if this is all you have.

Absolutely the worst tasting beer ever. It's also got a strange syrup like mouthfeel which doesn't pair well with the fact that it is supposed to be light. There's nothing premium or platinum here...

Although Dos Equis is not the greated beer, I will paraphrase The World's Most Interesting Man, "I'm sorry, you lost me at 'Budweiser'". Honestly, this beer serves no purpose to anyone who understands beer. Maybe this one would do well on "beershitvocate.com"

The marketing makes the company rich and the blue bottle makes it look cool but that all ends when you crack it open and take a swig. Typical of most American beers, not worth drinking and a joke to beer drinkers worldwide. Question is, why is it popular and still on the market?

BLP literally tastes like regular Bud Light with an infused metallic taste that I couldn't shake. I have no idea how some casual drinkers find this to actually be an improvement over Bud Light or Budweiser but these people seem to think that its ABV of 6% makes it superior. They're all poor excuses for beer and BLP is probably the worst of them. Luckily I tried it for free from a friend and I would recommend absolutely not wasting your hard-earned money on this garbage.

Poured this "beer" from is blue bottle into my Sam Adam's perfect pint glass. Bought it because I had to try this platinum beer, the guy at the store really tried to sell me a whole 6pack since "its really good. It tastes like Bud Light with a kick, kinda boozy but good" The same guy who has watched me come in and go straight to the craft and only purchase craft.

A- Pours perfectly urine yellow with no head, no lacing. Has an odd bright, almost florescent color in the glass. Definately brighter than a normal BL. Maybe the extra corn syrup.

S- Smells like stale swill that is a day old in a bar mat, with some cheap Popov vodka spilled over too. Is there even hops in there?

T- Tastes like a Bud Light that was frozen then thawed out, poured into a glass and served ice cold(just like left over beers in college that were hidden in your trunk in the winter)

O- Wow. Thiis is exactly what you would expect if Belgium and Missouri had inbred love child with too many chromosomes. BL, you have solidly made another horrible overpriced beer that needs to "enjoyed" ice, ice cold for it to even be remotely palatable. Im glad you poured millions of dollars to shove it down peoples throats as the next great thing. Good job, Im glad you know your audience- Kanye's "Runaway" for the commercial. Great lyrics too.
Let’s have a toast for the douchebags!
Let’s have a toast for the assholes!
Let’s have a toast for the scumbags
Every one of them that I know
Let’s have a toast for the jerkoffs

Another swing and a miss. Now to decide to pour it down my throat or the sink....

Poured into a frosted mug. From memory; normally, I'd never do a review in this manner, but holy shit, I can still vividly remember what this tastes like.

A: Pours a textbook light straw color with perfect clarity and intense carbonation trails. Even with the frosted mug, the head is hilariously pathetic. Typical nasty-looking swill.

S: Almost non-existent. A touch of grain here, a dab of artificial sweetener there...wait a minute, a dab of artificial sweetener?

T: Hatred. Sickness. Vitriol. Insanity. Depression. No, these aren't the flavors BL Platinum exhibit - these are the emotions that run through my neural synapses when this liquid immediately hits my tongue. No joke, about 4 oz. of this made me sick. This is basically Bud Light (itself pretty awful) but with a nasty cotton candy sweetness to it. The cloying factor seems necessary to balance the additional alcohol...but holy crap, this just comes across as woefully under-attenuated and artificial. Did I mention the aspartame-esque finish is long and lingering, too?

And y'know, I can vaguely see the point of this. A low calorie yet high strength light beer for the masses to easily get drunk off of. Only thing is, they forgot to make it inoffensive and tasteless. Oops.

M: Who cares, this sucks ass.

O: I've always wanted to give something all 1's, so here it is in all its hideous glory. Normally, this kind of score represents the absolute bottom of the barrel, and without a doubt, BL Platinum is a foulest, most disgusting beer ever to grace my palate and should be avoided by any person who may lay claim to working taste buds. Hilariously, though, this may not be the worst beer AB InBev makes...if anything, Budweiser Chelada may make me wish negative scores were possible. Simply put, the malt beverage equivalent of frontal lobotomy performed with a rusty knife.

Tastes like the nastiest medicinal synthetic chemical I've ever imbibed. How on earth did their R&D dept let this one slide thru. I love bud light and bud light ice, but I almost hurled on first sip. Seriously??? I emptied all 6 bottles down the drain without hesitation. Even if I were soif'in' in a desert I wouldn't drink this crap.

1.03/5  rDev -54.6%

This is simply terrible....or rather 'terrbul'.

The only nice thing I can say about this beer is that the blue bottle is very pretty.
The foam looks bad. The mouth feel is unpleasant. It honestly smells like urine to me....urine from a chronic drunk.

AB is such a shit company. If you're a typical DUHguy, then you'll probably like this.
If not, go get a nice stout.

1.03/5  rDev -54.6%

Wow, just wow! Let's take a bad product increase the strength but make it taste worse. I think they've done that. It was fizzy, yellow and clear. Smells like....nothing. Corn, maybe? It tasted like corn and water. Mouthfeel is fizzy and highly carbonated. Overall, this is just as bad if not worse than Bud Light. Simply amazing.

1.05/5  rDev -53.7%

A - Pale yellow as expected. Light head.

S - Very sweet smell. Strongly hints at the flavor to come.

T - Lasting, saccharin sweetness. Not good. No flavors really. Just sweet.

M - Pretty good carbonation. Nothing unexpected there. The sweetness of it almost makes it feel a little sticky though.

O - Really awful. I imagine their thought process being, "Oh crap, you can almost taste the alcohol. We better make it overpoweringly sweet to hide that." If given the choice between this and bud light, I'll take the bud light. Actually, I can't think of anything I would choose this over (except maybe Wild Blue). Unless you're just looking to get drunk with a few less bottles, don't waste your money on this one.

1.06/5  rDev -53.3%

I was at a bar and just wanted to give it a shot since I heard mixed reviews about it. Some of my college friends (who don't know good beer) said it was good. The bartender said people who like AB products don't like it. I took 1 sip of it and 1 word came to mind. YUCK!! It tasted worse then bud light. I couldn't tell if there was flavor in the beer or it was just plain alcohol. If your going to have a light beer put less alcohol in it, not more.

1.06/5  rDev -53.3%

I picked up a 12 pack in bottles because I was curious about Bud coming out with a 6% abv AND they offered a $4.00 rebate. I thought, I'll give it try for $8.00 since it's the holidays and I like to keep a few lite fizzy beers on hand for my family. In a word...terrible. It has no smell, taste, mouthfeel, lacing or head. I can honestly say that I would never recommend this beer to anyone.

1.09/5  rDev -52%

If only it was made of platinum, you could take it to one of those coin and jewelry stores and sell it! can tell any difference from regular Bud Light, I do like the velvet finish of this beer that's about it.

1.11/5  rDev -51.1%

A good beer for emotionally distraught college girls who have never drank a good beer, but would like to spend a little extra money on a beer they think is premium but is actually the same shit as bud light.

1.13/5  rDev -50.2%

So considering I just reviewed Bud Light, I figured I might as well crack the single of Bud Light PLATINUM I have sitting in my fridge. This is the FIRST time I've ever had this beer so you're going to get the full force of whatever I have to offer. It may not be pretty. You stand warned.

Serving Style : pretty 12 oz blue glass bottle, poured into a Miller Fortune glass.

Appearance (1.5) : I love the blue bottle. I'll keep it to put in my man cave. I think the appeal is the jewel blue bottle and the higher alcohol content. I digress.

So, could this beer could get any paler? Crystal transparency. I could read a book through it! I've seen Chardonnay more opaque! Even lighter colored than regular Bud Light (I have a good comparison as I just poured it moments ago), and the head is about the same - minimal and recedes rapidly. Dud city.

Smell (2) : Slightly boozy, much like bud light but with a larger bouquet; granola, corn, clean swimming pool, leather... something that smells good and is reminiscent of a good time in life but I can't quite put a finger on. I'm just gonna say I like the smell better than regular Bud Light.

Taste (-1) : Whoa. Hold everything. This is like an unwanted kiss from an ugly girl. Corn lager explosion with heavy booze and a finish of artificial chemical awfulness I'm not even gonna try to describe. This is horrible. Cough syrup - I'm getting freaking cough syrup here. Faint faint fruit loops. What the hell???

Mouthfeel (1) : Oily mouthfeel with unbearably heavy carbonation. Dry rubbing alcohol on the finish. I don't think it can get much worse.

Overall (1.13) : This is like a triple distilled malt liquor that finishes like rubbing alcohol. It has flavors but they're all off. It's like I'm drinking watered down malted bleach and antiseptic mixed with cheap vodka. If you hate yourself you'll drink this beer. This is honestly the worst, most horrible beer I've ever laid lips to. This is liquid feces from the depths of hell. My natural, uncensored reaction to this is "holy s**t this is bad". Who approved this out of the brewery? Furthermore, who are the sick people that buy this stuff? I'm going to flag down and warn anybody who tries to buy this beer from our gas station. I think I'll go pour this out now...

1.14/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Look, I may have just signed up on this site, but keep in mind that this was a beer that finally enticed me to review, and possibly because I finally got a smartphone. The 6.0% may sound enticing for the low cost, but don't be as dumb as I was, please. We work hard for our money, and we would be better off spending this money on something meaningful and more entertaining, perhaps a chinese finger trap... or a decent block of cheese from the grocery store (everyone loves cheese, yeah, even you, dude who says he doesn't like cheese.)

1.15/5  rDev -49.3%

Pours out to a temporary thin sudsy head and "triple filtered" clear urine color. Aroma is grain and sweet fruit juice. Flavor is bland, grainy, cider-like and has absolutely no discernible hop features. Despite the dry feel, it tastes sweet and corny. Mouthfeel is seltzer and astringency. On the balance this beer comes off as dressed up malt liquor. There are better tasting malt liquors out there that cost less.

1.26/5  rDev -44.5%

Marshall McLuhan once famously said that "the medium is the message" with regard to television, but with this beer, it still applies. I still have the empty blue bottle from my original review as it looks very pretty when the sunlight hits it, sitting on the windowsill. Now they have seen fit to put it in a screw-top bottle-shaped CAN and I CANnot resist a new CAN! Don't believe me? It reads "Brewed and CANned by A.B., St. Louis, MO."

I got things unscrewed and began an aggro pour which netted me two fingers of fluffy, bone-white head with poor retention, fizzing out like pop. Color was a pale lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity. Nose still had that curious Minhas smell of chewed pink bubble gum, dry cleaning solvent and plastics factory. OMFG! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was super-sweet, cotton CANdy-like and extremely cloying. Finish had an unexpected dryness, as if the yeast had really gone to town, but overall, it was unpleasant and not worth another thought.

My original bottle review, dtd 06 March 2013, scores 2.5; 1; 1; 2; 1.5 follows:

My neighbor (out the back door and across a short parking lot) is a bottle shop and he occasionally has singles for sale. When that happens, I try to grab anything that I would not normally want in any other quantity, write a review and move on. This is one of those instances.

If nothing else, it came in a pretty cobalt blue bottle, so I may see if the art department at work can use it. Otherwise, what were they thinking? Blue allows more light penetration than any other color of glass. I had two fingers of bone-white fizzing head initially until it fizzed its way to wispiness. Color was a pale lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. It looks like snow! Those of us south of US 30 are expected to get 6" to 8" or perhaps more. The nose had an odd Minhas-like chemical smell, like plastics and dry cleaning fluid. Fuh! Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the taste was reminiscent of the time I had trench mouth as a kid (thanks, summer camp creeps) and had to gargle with diluted hydrogen peroxide. Finish was bland. Rubbish! I am experiencing buyer's remorse.

1.26/5  rDev -44.5%

Half of a 12 oz bottle poured into a pony glass

A- Clear golden color with a small white head.

S- Weak, some sweet corn and grains...not good...

T- Watery sweet corn...

M- Light water...

O- Sucks, not worth the money, sweet water...Me and my friend decided ti see what is about and were disappointed...time for something good...

1.28/5  rDev -43.6%

pours light yellow with a big fizzy white head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet grains/corn/rice and alcohol

taste is those same sweet watered down grains and the aftertaste that it left in my mouth was horrid

mouthfeel is watery thin with decent carbonation

overall - whats the point of this beer? its bud light with a higher abv

1.3/5  rDev -42.7%

Generally, I go through and do a pretty detailed job on my beer reviews. To me, beer reviewing is as much art as science, and I take a lot of pride in my reviews. I take notes, I do my homework on the styles, I really enjoy tasting, drinking, and reviewing beer.

That beng said, I am not going to waste a lot of energy on this review. I try to avoid reviewing too many macro products, although this is not my first, but I kind of think it's a little lame. Anyway...

This beer looks a lot like any other macro when you pour it. Straw colored, very clear, no real head or lacing. It eally doesn't smell like much at all. Maybe corn or some slight grains.

It pretty much tastes like a thicker, nastier version of Bud Light. Not a huge fan of either product. Highly carbonated finish.

Overall, this beer is not good. I got this beer from a party where the buyer (not me) didn't want it (I wonder why), so I took it home. Six free beers, why not? For the price I have seen this selling for, no way. If I'm going macro, give me Busch Light, Coors, or Natty.

1.3/5  rDev -42.7%

Why???? WHY??? DO I KEEP TRYING these beers?

A: Pours with basically no head and no fizz. Once it settles you could piss in a glass and sit it next to this beer and couldn't tell the difference. Not cool

S: Smell is corn, some weird fruit flavor and almost a bit like....ZIMA!!!! Whatever the combination is it just doesnt work.

T: Wow - taste is like a diet drink. Is there nutrasweet in this? My god i feel like I'm drinking an appletini.

M: Not bad - carbonation is low and this beer will likely be very popular in fraternities and sororities.

O: COMPLETE FAIL. I can tolerate bud light. Can't tolerate this one even though I want to at 6.0 abv.

1.32/5  rDev -41.9%

I've never been a Bud Light fan, but I was curious about this one. I didn't wanna spend 7 bucks on a six pack, so I decided to wait for a double deuce to come out. Finally saw one at the gas station and picked it up. Boy I sure am glad I didn't buy a sixer.

I agree with the guy below me, Anheuser-Busch took a lousy beer and made it terrible. Pours out light yellow (probably why they call it platinum) and foamy as all hell. If you were to take a Bud Light, and pour two restaurant sugar packets in it, you'd have this.

I always try to find something good in every beer I try, but it's nowhere to be found here. I hate to slam a beer like this, but this is just awful. Not worth a dime, I'd take a Natty Light any day over this.

1.35/5  rDev -40.5%

A- I'm pretty sure this beer doesn't have a SRM value. Very pale gold.

S- Has a sweet aroma. Unfortunately that is the only scent I can pick up.

T- As predicted by my smell test, the beer is sweet, without any trace of hops. Taste very similar to my first homebrew done with a Mr. Beer kit.

M- Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

O- Although I prefer it to bud light but I will won't be touching this beer again. I gave it a shot and it doesn't compare to some of the better light adjunct lagers out there.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch