Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 317 | Hads: 1,746
1.37/5  rDev -39.6%

take the watery extract flavors of a bud light and add the burning stomach churning effect of grain alcohol, and you have a bud light platinum. as much as I hate the politics, marketing, and desired demographic (see my black crown review), I also hate the beer. it just tastes awful, metallic and boozy, yet somehow still diluted. its a mess from top to bottom. if it had no taste it would have a passable mouthfeel, that's about it. upbeat carbonation and a lighter body, but it cant save a beer that tastes more like a caustic chemical reaction than an honest brew for human consumption. I have no interest in ever consuming one of these again. it had the profound effect of bringing me from craving a beer badly to instantly not wanting to drink anymore, they should treat alcoholics with this wash, might turn them off too. id honestly rather drink any dirty 40 from the gas station than have another one of these. steer clear.

This is an abomination.

Smells like bud light spiked with a nice single malt Scotch. Taste like it smells. Cheap and tawdry. The way they souped it up during the Superbowl, I was anticipating a serious attempt at a respectable beer. Could have been brewed in a prison toilet...

1.38/5  rDev -39.2%

This beer pours pale yellow with fizzy bubbles and wispy head. Aroma is of crackly sweet adjuncts, corn and rice?

Taste is fizzy and astringent, bitter and not in a good way. No trace of aromatic hops, but cloying sweet rice and cereal.

Finishes like sour milk, very gross. It gives me gas and a headache. I can't stand it.

1.38/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Pilsner Glass, bought this as part of a mix-a-six

Appearance - Very pale straw yellow color which almost looks white. This looks like straight up urine you'd find in a doctor's office.

Smell - Steamed Cooked Veggies, Cereal Grains, and Alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some extra alcohol in here. This does not smell good at all!

Taste - Everything that was bad about the smell is not much better in the flavor. Cooked Sweet Corn, cereal grains, and rubbing alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some Everclear to it.

Mouthfeel - This beer is super-carbonated, but at least it's crisp feeling....not that it helps any! Also, I'm getting a headache from this thing, and I'm not even done with it yet

Overall - This is an insult to the word "beer". You see.... beer should be a wonderful thing, not an ugly abomination like this. I'm going to sum it up in one phrase directed at Anheuser-Busch "This beer is bad and you should feel bad!"

1.41/5  rDev -37.9%

The beer poured pale with a healthy dose of carbonation. Didn't look terrible, but didn't give the extra frothy head you'd hope to see that resembles a cartoonish poor of a standard issue American Pilsner.

Very stylish blue bottle with platinum writing that looks like it should contain some uber-hipster vodka as opposed to a "top shelf" beer. I can see people drinking this in some trendy club listening to Zombie Nation, or lunkheads in college raving about "DUDE IT HAS MORE ALCOHOL" before downing a dozen of them and ralphing up a chunky blend of cafeteria processed chicken patties and this unflattering swill.

Drank it out of a bottle, but it still tasted like I sipped it from a rusty can. Tastes very similar to Bud Light but filtered through a cheesecloth lined with old pennies. They somehow made Bud Light worse,

I guess it is what it is, and I wasn't expecting anything great, or good, or passable, or tolerable. Yeah it's pretty bad.

Strongest recommendation to avoid. Try seltzer water, but instead of fresh water some type of recycled gray water sitting in a boiler room basin

1.41/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured for bottle into a pint glass

A- Watered down apple juice but with a lot of bubbles and small white head

S- Almost no aroma to speak of but slight cracker and the smallest hop aroma apart from it's normal version

T- About the same as the nose like drinking fizzy water that makes you drunk, which is the point of this thing, right?

M- I guess as thin and drinkable as water can be only you'd have to stop once you fell on the floor from being too drunk, which I'm sure has happened with this beer.

O- I drank this cuz my sister who doesn't like beer bought a 6-pack, drank 4 and didn't want the other 2. Would never buy this, although it's not the worst Bud offering I've had, that goes to Bud Select. About the only thing going for this is that it comes in a cool blue bottle, yay! Welp, now I guess I'll rinse my mouth out and pop open that St. Bernardus Abt 12.

1.42/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pours a super light golden color with huge bubbly head that almost instantly vanishes. The adjunct aromas in this are the strongest and worst I've smelled in a macro. Goes down pretty harsh and taste is taste putrid. Probably the worst adjunct I've ever had. No redeeming qualities here.

1.42/5  rDev -37.4%

When pouring this beer it looked clear coming out of the bottle. I was a bit confused, not sure what to expect from here on. Glass filled, there is a bit of color, but mostly looks like water with some bud light splashed in giving a clear slight straw color. An aggressive pour yields a small head that in gone in seconds with no lacing whatsoever.

Aroma is a combination of malt and metallic notes. Thankfully it's very dull.

Taste is similar to the smell, a strong metallic taste which may be why they named it platinum. Has a strange aftertaste which is very hard to describe other than awful.

This beer is very carbonated; has me burping like crazy.

Overall this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. It's extremely hard to finish the bottle. Even the bump in ABV does not make up for it's failures.

1.45/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bottle (2012)

Big thanks to Alucard4 for the gift!

A very light straw color. No head, even after an incredibly aggressive pour. Leaves the glass nearly clean.

Very little aroma whatsoever. Smells a bit like bread or corn but that might be my imagination. There certainly isn't much.

The taste follows the nose which means there isn't much here at all. No bitterness, very little malt, and corn. This is awful.

The mouthfeel is similar to water.

Worse than Bud Light. Better than Bud Light Chelada. There you have it.

1.45/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Was hanging out with a friend and he handed this to me. Poured from a 12 fl. oz. bottle into clear plastic cup(was at friends apartment and that's all he had unfortunately)

A- Very pale yellow, poured with barely any head that did not linger, almost no lacing.

S- Very grapey, with the slightest hint of hops.

T- Like water with grapes and some hops. wanted to throw it down the drain but wanted to be polite to the friend that so graciously gave it to me.

M- Watery, thin, typical of the brand.

O- Bad beer. I don't know the price on this but it is probably way overpriced. Avoid, avoid, avoid

1.46/5  rDev -35.7%

12oz bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow, thin white head - barest level of lacing noted.

Smell: Practically none, maybe a hint of grain.

Taste: At first nothing, then a bit of crispness following by a really bad sweet finish. It's like the hops were left out or were not dosed properly. The sweetness isn't even enjoyable...it's quite unpleasant like something else off has been mixed in there. I thought maybe it was the food I had with this (cheese and crackers) but drank some water and tried again. Nope - not good.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but not fizzy. Otherwise nothing special.

Overall / Drinkability: I could not finish this because of the taste. I'm not sure what they were thinking behind this one but this is not a good lager nor is it a good beer. Appearance is probably the only thing this beer has going for it. To the best of my knowledge, the first time I was unable to finish a beer to date. I don't like to be down on beer at all, but this one is poorly put together - at least to my tastebuds anyway.

1.46/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff tastes like garbage. I was given one by a friend at a party, and decided to give it a shot. It's way too sweet and pretty gross. Although regular Bud Light isn't too flavorful, the upside is that the bad flavors are all pretty tame. In Bud Light Platinum, they're even stronger and worse. This beer tastes like it's been filtered through a skunk. Let the frat bros drink this one because I know I won't ever again.

1.47/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours out a light yellow straw hue with a thick foamy white head that quickly disappears. Very little retention, no lacing and high carbonation. Can hardly smell anything in this beer, even though I get hints of the typical old corn and old rice smell of the typical american light beer. The taste starts out with some rice, some sweet syrups, followed by alcohol and finishes off with hints of sweet malts. If there is any hops in this, I can't taste them. The mouthfeel is a very light bodied and watered down beer that is smooth and easy to drink. This beer is good if you want a light beer to try to get drunk off of and don't care for taste, but if you care about taste and quality this beer is not for you and it is not for me.

1.48/5  rDev -34.8%

A: Interesting blue bottle. Don't see that too often. Pours golden yellow. Very clear. Light white foamy head that disappears almost instantly.

S: Corn, lots of sweet corn.

T: Malts, more of that sweet corn. This stuff is really sweet.

M: Watery, flat. Almost no carbonation here. A long lingering sweet aftertaste

O: It's kind of bad... I think I prefer a normal bud light, this is just too sweet for my taste.

1.48/5  rDev -34.8%

Pale gold color with a small foamy white head which fades quickly leaving no lacing. Smells like cooked grain, probably rice. Very bland.

Taste is much the same as the aroma. Cooked grain, very little in the way of hops or malt flavor. Blah.

6.00 % abv is a light beer? Since when? Well carbonated, and light bodied. I was curious enough to try one of these, but I should have known better. Avoid at all costs.

1.49/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a thin yellow with a fizzy head. Smells slightly metallic with a lot of alcohol. The taste is just bud light with a bit more alcohol on the finish. Not a fan of the beer but I can see why it's popular.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A Bottle poured into a mug, light yellow, small white head that leaves quickly, very little lacing.

S Bread, corn

T Corn, metallic, bland

M Carbonation, bland, watery, can feel the 6% alcohol in my mouth and not much else.

O Bought a sixer for 6.99 to give it a try, won't buy it again. It is too bland for my tastes. Would drink Bud Ice over this. The blue bottles are cool though.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Thin white foam dissapates quickly ou of the bottle. Leaves a few trace elements of residual foam on he surface, looks more like an oil slick than lacing. Hyper carbonated. Medium yellow, crystal clear body - looks like concentrated urine (the dehydrated type).

Smell: Slightly stronger smell (with the same profile) as Bud Light. Odor of earthy-wheaty maybe rice(y) grains with definite strong, malty overtones (like malt liquor).

Taste: Slightly, malty sweet on the front end. Tastes like a cross between the dry, acrid taste of Bud Light and Mickeys. Hrrrggh... Kinda throws me off.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Slightly heavier than a regular bud with a sort of buttery smoothness.

I would say its not an improvement over Bud Light but its definitely stronger. I'll be enjoying that later tonight at Lazer Tag.

1.5/5  rDev -33.9%

I do not enjoy this beer, very sweet, almost tastes like regular bud light had a baby with Sweet & Low. The red bull like cans are a turn off as well, I think.

1.52/5  rDev -33%

A: poured from a 12oz bottle to a frosty iced pint glass. It left about a 4" head that I had to scoop out to finish pouring. Kinda looks like carbonated urine.

S: bready, malty, alcohol, not much else here

T: breast malt that finishes with a hefty taste of alcohol. Taste like it smells, but not as bad as it looks

M: very high carbonation, clean and watered down

O: this is a terrible beer, it's not balanced at all. The only reason I grabbed it is because the gas station didn't have any good beer and figured I'd give it a shot...

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Clear, pale yellow, with a thick head of white carbonation which dissipates into absolutely nothing at all.

Nose is subtle. I get almost nothing -- a bit of cream corn and maybe a little citrus. Weird.

Taste is sweet and sticky. Hints of fruity citrus are in there, which I'd suppose(?) is the hops, but this one seems way off balance to me. I'm trying to be fair, but this one barely feels like beer, it's so sweet. Awful, and a challenge to finish.

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear golden body with tons of rising bubbles. The white head dissipates lightning fast. No lacing.

Aroma: Slightly sweet, kind of a glue-like aroma, some metallic notes.

Taste: Sweet up front. Boozy. A faint metallic and sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, oddly sticky.

Overall: There's just something about this beer that is off. It's very malty, boozy, and metallic. Not sure what they were going for here. It wasn't refreshing at all.

1.53/5  rDev -32.6%

Really not much to say that I'm sure hasn't been said already. No real appearance to speak of. Not really any smell or taste that I'm guessing was the intention. Overall really just a alcohol delivery device. And I'm my opinion not a very good one. Bourbon works faster and taste better in my opinion.

1.55/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light straw yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains very light malts along with adjuncts and a very faint bit of hops.

T: The taste starts with a mild breadiness from adjuncts and a thin malt character, Then some malt sweetness quickly follows. The hops presence is almost non-existent but brings a least a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean.

D: There isn’t much flavor to it, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's not much substance to the beer, mild kick, I’m not really picking up much of any difference between this and the regular Bud Light.

1.56/5  rDev -31.3%

This beer pours a clear, sparkling yellow with no head or lace. The aroma is lemons and corn. The flavor is mainly lemony with cake and sweet corn notes. It's mouthfeel is thin and it sours as it warms. Bud Light Platinum is okay in a pinch, barely recommended.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch